John N. (John Norris) McClintock.

Colony, province, state, 1623-1888. History of New Hampshire (Volume 1) online

. (page 47 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn N. (John Norris) McClintockColony, province, state, 1623-1888. History of New Hampshire (Volume 1) → online text (page 47 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

the greatest struggle of modern times, if not the greatest in the
history of the world.

The First formed a part of the Union line, but was many
miles away from the active operations of that eventful day. The
regiment was mustered out August 9, 1861.

Connected with the First regiment were Adjutant Enoch Q.
Fellows, Quartermaster Richard N. Batchelder, Surgeon Alpheus
B. Crosby, Captain Louis Bell, Captain Ira McL. Barton, Cap-
tain Edward E. Sturtevant, Lieutenant Henry W. Fuller, Ser-
geant-major George Y. Sawyer, Sergeant Daniel B. Newhall, and
many others who afterward won honor in the service.


Colonel Mason W. Tappan, who led the First regiment of New
Hampshire volunteers to the field of battle to help the president
maintain the integrity of the Union and resist the attacks of
those rebelling against the government, was a native of Newport,
and a resident of Bradford. He was born October 20, 1817;
studied law with Hon. George W. Nesmith ; was in the legisla-
ture in 1853, 1S54, and 1855, and was elected a member of Con-
gress the latter year. He served in all six years, and was a fear-
less defender of Union principles. After his return with the
First, he was appointed colonel of the Fourth and of the Six-
teenth regiments, but decided to let younger men take the com-
mand. He was appointed attorney-general in 1876, and served
until his death, October 25, 18S6. He was an able lawyer and
an eloquent public speaker.

At the breaking out of the war, Ichabod Goodwin was gov-
ernor of the State ; Moody Currier was a member of the Council,
Thomas L. Tullock was secretary of state, Allen Tenney was
deputy secretary, Peter Sanborn was State treasurer, and Asa
McFarland was State printer ; Daniel Clark and John P. Hale
were United States senators ; and Gil man Marston, Mason W.
Tappan, and Thomas M. Edwards, members of Congress.

The militia consisted of 34,569 men, divided into three divi-
sions, six brigades, and one regiment. The only really effective
military organizations at the time were the Amoskeag Veterans
and the Governor's Horse Guards. Of the latter, George Stark
was colonel, A. Herbert Bellows, lieutenant-colonel, Henry O.
Kent, major, Thomas J. Whipple, adjutant. Chandler E. Potter,
judge advocate, Joseph Wentworth, quartermaster, Charles P.
Gage, surgeon, J. C. Eastman, assistant surgeon, Henry E. Par-
ker, assistant chaplain, Frank S. Fiske, sergeant-major, Charles
A. Tufts, quartermaster-sergeant, Natt Head, chief bugler,
Stebbins H. Dumas, commissary. True Garland, standard
bearer. John H. George and Cyrus Eastman were captains ;
and Edward H. Rollins, Benjamin Grover, Bainbridge Wadleigh,
and Micajah C. Burleigh, were lieutenants.

The secretary of state, Thomas L. Tullock, was a native of
Portsmouth. He was very efficient in aiding Governor Goodwin


in arming and equipping the first troops sent from the State to
suppress the Rebellion. At the expiration of his term of office
he was appointed navy agent at Portsmouth. At the navy yard
several thousand workmen were employed, and an immense amount
of material was jsurchased for the construction of ships of war.
Among the number launched at the yard during the war, or
while Mr. Tullock was agent, were the Kearsarge, Franklin,
Ossipee, Sacramento, Sebago, Mahoska, Sonoma, Conemaugh,
Pavvtucket, Nipsic, Shawmut, Sassacus, and Agamenticus. Mr.
Tullock was instrumental in forming the nucleus of the very
perfect collection of portraits of governors and statesmen which
adorn the State House. He was afterwards postmaster of the
city of Washington. He was a student of historical subjects
and a graceful writer on historical and antiquarian themes.

Thomas Logan Tullock, son of Captain William and Mary (Neal) Tullock,
was born in Portsmouth, February 11, 1S20. He received his education at
the Portsmouth High School, and in early youth embarked in commercial
pursuits. In 1S49 he was appointed postmaster of Portsmouth, and held the
office four years. In 1S5S he was elected by the legislature secretary of state,
and held the office until June, 1S61, when he was appointed navy agent. He
resigned the latter office in August, 1S65, and accepted the office of secretary
of the Union Republican Congressional Committee, with headquarters at
Washington. Upon the election o£ General Grant, Mr. Tullock was appointed
chief of the appointment division of the Treasury department, and later
collector of internal revenue for the District of Columbia. He held the office
until 1876. The next year he was appointed assistant postmaster of Washing-
ton. In 1SS2 he was appointed postmaster of Washington. He died June 20,

Mr. Tullock was twice married; first, August 29, 1S44, to Emily Estell
Rogers; second, January 10, 1S66, to Miranda Barney Swain, a native of New
Hampshire, " whose devotion to our wounded soldiers during the war of the
Rebellion is gratefully remembered throughout the State." Of his children
by his first wife, Thomas L. Tullock, jr., paymaster U. S. Navy, was lost on
the steamer Oneida, in Yokohama, Japan, January 24, 1870; and Seymour
M. Tullock settled in Washington. By his second marriage he left one son,
Henry Vanderbilt Tullock.

Mr. Tullock was an active member of the Methodist church, and was a
Mason of high degree.

Upon the first call for troops so many volunteers assembled
that a camp was established at Portsmouth, and enough enlisted
to form another regiment. The call came for three hundred



thousand troops to serve three years ; and most of the men re-
enlisted. Colonel Thomas P. Pierce, a veteran of the Mexican
war, resigned ; and the Second regiment was organized, with
Hon. Oilman Marston as colonel ; Frank S. Fiske, of Keene,
as lieutenant-colonel ; and Josiah Stevens, Jr., of Concord, as
major. The regiment left Portsmouth for the seat of war June
20, 1 86 1. A month later, July 2i, they took pa/t in the battle
of Bull Run. Early in the fight, Colonel Marston was severely
wounded, but having had his wound dressed, came again upon
the field to lead his men. The Second behaved like a veteran
regiment, but shared in the panic which seized the Northern
army. The loss of the regiment was seven killed, fifty-six
wounded, and forty-six prisoners. While in winter quarters the
commander of the brigade had noticed the guard-house of the
Second, and considered it altogether too comfortable quarters
for the prisoners confined there. Accordingly he ordered Col-
onel Marston to build a dungeon, without so much as a crack or
an opening anywhere, so that it should be perfectly dark. The
dungeon was built, and one day General Neaglee went over to
inspect it.

" Where is the entrance," said he ; " and how do you get any-
body into it ? "

" Oh ! " said Colonel Marston ; " that's not my lookout. I
obeyed orders to the letter ! How do you like it .' "

In April, 1862, the Second joined the main army of the Poto-
mac at Yorktown, and took part in the siege, and in the attack
on Fort Magruder during the advance on Williamsburg. The
regiment lost in the battle eighteen killed, sixty-six wounded,
and twenty-three missing. Captain Leonard Drown was killed.
Capt:iiii Evarts W. Farr lost an arm, and Captain Edward L.
Baiicy and Lieutenant Samuel O. Burnham were wounded. At
the battle of Fair Oaks, one company of the Second lost twenty-
two killed and wounded out of forty-two taken into the fight.
The Second took part in the Seven Days' Fight and in the
retreat to the James River, and in nearly all the actions of the
famous Peninsular Campaign.

Having joined Pope's army, the Second formed a part of the


Union army at the second battle of Bull Run in August, 1862,
and lost sixteen killed, eighty-seven wounded, and twenty-nine
missing, out of three humlred and thirty-two men engaged.

In the spring of 1863 the regiment returned on a furlough to
Concord. Colonel Marston was appointed brigadier-general, and
Edward L. Bailey, colonel of the Second. In May they returned
to the front, having received into their ranks the recruits of the
Seventeenth, and took part in the battle of Gettysburg, fighting
in the Peach Orchard. Of the twenty-four officers and three
hundred and thirty men taken into the fight, nineteen had been
shot dead, one hundred and thirty-six were wounded, and thirty-
eight were missing, dead or wounded on the field or prisoners
in the hands of the enemy — -three-fifths of the whole number

Early in August, 1863, the Second, in a brigade commanded
by General Marston, were stationed at Point Lookout to guard
a depot for prisoners of war, and remained at that post until the
spring of 1864.

In the latter part of April the regiment joined the army of
the Potomac, and took part in the battle of Cold Harbor, losing
seventy in killed and wounded. This was the last battle of the
original Second, the men who had not re-enlisted soon after de-
parting for New Hampshire, where they were mustered out June
21, 1864. There remained two hundred and fifty men, veterans
and recruits, under command of Captain J. N. Patterson. In
the army of the James and in the army of the Potomac for the
next year, the Second did good service in battle and siege, and
were mustered out in November, 1865.

To the Second belonged Corporal Thomas E. Barker, after-
ward colonel of the Twelfth ; Adjutant S. G. Langley, lieuten-
ant-colonel of the Fourth ; Captain T. A. Barker, lieutenant-
colonel of the Fourteenth ; Lieutenant H. B. Titus, colonel of
thfe Ninth ; Captain S. G. Griffin, brevet major-general; Lieuten-
ant A. B. Thompson, captain U. S. army and secretary of
state ; Lieutenant W. H. Prescott ; Captain W. O. Sides, the
first volunteer of New Hampshire ; Private Orrin N. Head, ad-
jutant of the Eighth ; Sergeant Welcome A. Crafts, colonel of


the Fifth ; Private Martin A. Hayncs, member of Congress ;
Chaplain Henrv E. Parker, professor at Dartmouth College.

Miss Harriet P. Dame attended the regiment as a voluntary
hospital nurse.

General Oilman Marston was very popular as commander of
the Second, and as brigade commander. He descended from
Thomas Marston, one of the first settlers of Hampton, and was
born in Orford, August 20, 181 1. He graduated at Dartmouth
College in 1837, and four years later, having been admitted to
the bar, he settled in E.xeter. He was frequently elected to the
legislature, and in 1859 he was elected a member of Congress.
He was re-elected in 1861, and again in 1865. After the war he
was frequently elected to the legislature, and " is one of the
ablest and most distinguished lawyers of the New Hampshire

Joab N. Patterson, a graduate of Dartmouth College, in i860,
was appointed colonel of the Second, and brevet brigadier-gen-
eral for " bravery in battle, and general good conduct throughout
the war." He was never absent from march, drill, or skirmish.
After the war he was for many years United States marshal,
and made his home in Concord. He was born in Hopkinton,
January 20, 1835.

Nathaniel S. Berry, of Hebron, was elected governor in March,
1861, and was inaugurated the following June. He became
chief magistrate at the most trying time in the history of the
State. In all he did he was influenced by pure and patriotic
motives ; his official acts were characterized with care and pru-
dence, and liis State papers were brief, clear, and wise. He was
re-elected in 1862, and when he retired from ofifice in June, 1863,
he carried with him the respect and good wishes of all. During
his administration all the regiments except the First were sent to
the front.

N.ithaniel S. Berry was born in Bath, Maine, September i, 1796; was
brought in childhood to Lisbon, learned the tanner's trade, and settled in
Bristol. He was a representative in 1S2S, 1S33, 1S34, 1S37, and 1S54: a State
senator in 1S35 and 1S36; judge of the Court of Common Pleas in 1S41 ;
judge of Probate in 1S56. In 1S40 he settled in Hebron.

^ Marston Genealogy*.


The Third reghnent was recruited throughout the State, and
was organized at Concord early in August, 1861, and mus-
tered into the service the last part of the month. So many
volunteers offered that there was a surplus of two hundred, who
formed the nucleus of the Fourth. Enoch Q. Fellows, of Sand-
wich, was commissioned colonel, John H. Jackson, lieutenant-
colonel, and John Bedel, major. The colonel was a graduate of
West Point, class of 1844, and a native of Sandwich, where he
was born June 20, 1825. At the outbreak of the Rebellion he
was a brigadier-general of the State militia. He commanded
the Third for about a year. He was afterwards colonel of the
Ninth, and led that regiment into the battle of Antietam. On
account of poor health he was soon after obliged to resign. He
is said to have been "one of the most capable ofificers in the
army from New Hampshire " during the war. He was faithful
and attentive to duty, and cool and skilful in action.. He was
in the legislature in 1868 and 1869.

Colonel John H. Jackson was a native of Portsmouth, born
October 20, 18 14. Served through the Mexican war with honor,
and was in command of the Third for two years. John Bedel,
of Bath, was also a veteran of the Mexican war, a son of Gen-
eral Moody Bedel, of the war of 1812, and grandson of General
Timothy Bedel, of the Revolutionary army. He was born July
8, 1822, in Indian Stream Territory; was admitted to the bar;
was in the legislature in 1868 and 1869, and Democratic candi-
date for governor in 1869 and 1870. He died February 26, 1875.
The Third left the State early in September, 1861, and took
part in the expedition against Port Royal, on the coast of South
Carolina. At Hilton Head Island they did garrison duty through
the winter. In June, 1862, the regiment was sent to James
Island, and on the i6th, at Secessionville, received its first bap-
tism in blood. It had previously lost about a fifth of its number
by sickness. The regiment went into the fight with twenty-si.x
officers and five hundred and ninety-seven men, of whom one
hundred and four were killed and wounded. In October the
Third took part in the battle of Pocataligo. In the summer of
1863 the Third formed a part of the investing force about


Charleston. At the battle of Alorris Island its loss was nine
killed and thirty-one wounded ; in the assault on Fort Wagner
the regiment lost fifty-five killed, wounded, and missing, Lieu-
tenant Colonel John Bedel among the number. For the next six
months the Third was occupying trenches on Morris Island,
losing thirty-two killed and wounded. In April, 1864, the Third
was engaged in an expedition to Florida, and late in the nmnth
joined the army of the James. The next year was one of con-
stant battle, skirmish, or march. The regiment was in the
battle of Drury's Bluff, the capture of Fort Fisher, the siege of
Petersburg, and at taking of Wilmington, N. C. The regiment
was mustered out July 20, 1865.

To the Third belonged Lieutenant-colonel Josiah I. Plimpton,
killed at Deep Run, Va. ; Lieutenant-colonel James F. Randlett.
Adjutant Elbridge J. Copp, Surgeon Albert A. Moulton, Captaii,
Michael T. Donohoe, Captain Richard Ela, killed at Drury'.-'
Bluff, and Perry Kittredge, D. A. Brown, J. A. Dadmun, S. F
Brown, George L. Lovejoy, Nathan W. Gove, John C. Linehan^
and John W. Odlin, of Concord.

The Fourth regiment was organized at Manchester, and mus-
tered into the service September 18, 1861, and a few days later
left the State for Washington. Thomas J. Wliipple, of Laconia
was commissioned colonel ; Louis Bell, of P'armington, lieu,
tenant-colonel ; and Jeremiah D. Drew, of Salem, major. The
regiment took part in the expedition against Port Royal, and
occupied Hilton Head Island. During the winter the Fourth
went to Florida. Colonel Whipple resigned in March, 1862.
During the summer of 1862 a part of the Fourth occupied St.
Augustine, and put Fort Marion in good repair. They were
relieved by the Seventh, in September, and joined the rest of
the regiment at Beaufort, in season to take part in the battle of
Pocotaligo, losing three killed and twenty-five wounded. The
regiment wintered at Beaufort. In the spring of 1863, the
Fourth took part in the unsuccessful attack on Charleston, and
in the siege of Fort Wagner, which lasted through the summer.
In January, 1864, the Fourth was ordered to Beaufort, and
the next month to Jacksonville, Florida, thence back to Beaufort.


The re-enlisted veterans, to the number of three hundred and
eighty-eight, received a furlough of thirty days to revisit New
Hampshire under Colonel Bell ; and at the expiration of their
leave in April they were joined to the army of the James.
Then followed months of severe fighting to crush the Rebellion.
At one time only one captain was left for duty in the Fourth,
and the brigade was in command of a captain. In the attack on
Fort Gilman only forty men could be mustered for the fight.
In the successful attack on Fort Fisher Colonel Bell fell mor-
tally wounded while leading a brigade ; but the fortress, defended
by a superior force of the enemy, was captured. Then came the
occupation of Wilmington. The I'^ourth was mustered out and
arrived home August 27, 1865.

To the Fourth regiment belonged Colonel William Badger,
Quartermaster William K. Norton, Lieutenant Henry A. Mann,
and Captain Frederick A. Kendall.

Colonel Thomas J. Whipple was born in Wentworth, January 30, 1S16;
was educated at New Hampton and at Norwich University, read law, and
was admitted to the bar in 1S40. He served in the Mexican war as adjutant
of Colonel Franklin Pierce's regiment, and was taken prisoner at Vera Cruz.
After resigning from the Fourth he was chosen colonel of the Twelfth. He
was a member of the constitutional convention of 1S76, and has built up a
large law practice. He is an able lawyer and a powerful advocate.

General Louis Bell, son of Governor Samuel Bell, was born March S, 1837,
graduated at Brown University in 1855, was admitted to the bar in 1857, and
settled in Farmington. He was breveted brigadier-general, January 15, 1S65,
the day he was mortally wounded.

The Fifth regiment was mustered into service in October, 1861,
and left Concord the last of the month for the seat of war, under
command of Colonel Edward E. Cross, of Lancaster, Lieu-
tenant-colonel Samuel G. Langley, of Manchester, and Major
William W. Cook, of Derry. Dr. Luther M. Knight, of Franklin,
was surgeon, and Rev. Elijah R. Wilkins, chaplain. In April,
1862, the regiment took part in the siege of Yorktown and the
advance on Williamsburg ; and early in June fought at Fair
Oaks. In the last battle the Fifth lost one hundred and eighty-
six killed and wounded. Colonel Cross and Major Cook among
the latter. Then followed the Seven Days' Battle in the retreat


to Harrison's Landing', in which the Fifth lost over one hundred
officers and men. By the middle of August the regiment num-
bered only three hundred and fifty fit for duty. At Antietara,
■of the three hundred and nineteen officers and men who entered
the fight, one hundred and eight were killed and wounded.
On that day it won the title of the " Fighting Fifth." During
its first year of service the Fifth lost three hundred and thirty-
five in killed and wounded, besides si.'ity-nine who died of
tlisease. In December, 1862, the Fifth was in Hancock's
tlivision which charged the enemy at Marye's Heights, opposite
Fredericksburg, where Major Sturtevant was mortally wounded.
The regiment lost in the charge one hundred and eighty-si.x
•officers and men, — victims of a blunder.

In May, 1863, the Fifth took part in the battle of Chancellors-
ville, losing forty ofificers and men ; and in July was engaged
in the battle of Gettysburg, where Colonel, leading a
brigade, was mortally wounded. In the three days' battle the
Fifth lost four officers and eighty-two men killed and wounded,
out of one hundred and si.xty-five men who went into the
fight. Near the last of July, 1S63, the regiment returned to
Concord to recruit its shattered ranks. During a stay of nearly
three months the Fifth was recr-uited to the minimum strength;
and Charles E. Hapgood, of Amherst, was commissioned colo-
nel, Richard E. Cross, of Lancaster, lieutenant-colonel, and
James E. Larkin, of Concord, major. Early in November the
regiment started for the front, and was brigaded with the Sec-
ond and the Twelfth at Point Lookout, under command of Gen-
eral Marston. In May, 1864, the Fifth joined the army of the
Potomac in its grand campaign from the Rapidan to the James
under Grant, and fought at the battle of Cold Harbor, losing
two hundred and two ofificers and men killed and wounded. In
the attack on Petersburg, June 16, the Fifth lost thirty
ofificers and men killed and wounded, Colonel Hapgood among
the latter. The command of the regiment devolved on Major
Larkin. June 17 the regiment lost twenty-nine killed and
wounded ; June 18, seven men. The regiment was in action at
Deep Run. At Reams Station the Fifth lost thirty-three of its


number. For months during the summer and fall of 1864 the
regiment lay in the trenches before Petersburg and took part
in the closing struggle of the Rebellion. The original Fifth
was mustered out of service October 12, 1864; the re-enlisted
veterans were under command of Major, and later Lieutenant-
colonel, Welcome A. Crafts. The regiment marched in the grand
review at Washington, and was mustered out of the service of
the United States July 8, 1865.

To the Fifth belonged Major Thomas L. Livermore, Colonel
.of the Eighteenth ; Lieutenant George W. Ballock ; Ira. McL.
Barton, Charles H. Long, and Isaac W. Hammond.

The Fifth lost more in killed and wountlcd than any other
regiment in the Union army.

Colonel Edward E. Cross born at Lancaster, April 22, 1S32, received a
common-school education, and learned the printer's trade. He became a news-
paper correspondent and made many journeys into the Indian country, lead-
ing a life of adventure and peril. At the breaking out of the war he was in
command of a military force in Mexico. He was a man of cool courage,
fearless of danger. Colonel Charles E. Hapgood was born in Shrewsbury,
Mass., Dec. 11, 1S30. In 1S5S he was in trade in Amherst. After the war
he went into business in Boston. Major Edward E. Sturtevant was born in
Keene, August 7, 1826, was a printer by trade, and settled at Concord, and
was on the police force at the breaking out of the war.

The Si.\th regiment was organized at Keene, and mustered
into the service the last of November, 1861. Nelson Converse,
of Marlborough, was ajspointed colonel, Simon G. Grififin, of
Keene, lieutenant-colonel, and Charles Scott, of Peterborough,
major. O. G. Dort was a captain ; Alonzo Nute, of Farming-
ton, was quartermaster; Thomas P. Cheney, of Holderness, a
lieutenant. The regiment left the State about Christmas time,
and joined General Burnside's expedition into North Carolina.
It was engaged in the battle of Camden, in April, 1862, led by
Colonel Griffin; Colonel Converse having resigned in March, antl
Capt. O. G. Dort having been appointed major to fill vacancy
caused by promotion. In August the Si.xth joined the army of
General Pope at Culpeper Court House, and took part in the
disastrous campaign which followed. At the second battle of
Bull Run, August 29, 1862, the regiment lost thirty-two killed.


one hundred and ten wounded, and sixty-eight missing, or nearly
one half the number engaged. Nearly all the missing were
killed or wounded, and the woundeil were all captured. Of
twenty oflficers, five were killed, si.v wounded, and two captured.
The shattered Si.xth took part in the battle of Chantilly and in
the battle of Antietam. In December the Sixth was in the
fight at Fredericksburg. In the spring of 1863, the Sixth was
transferred to Kentucky, where in May Colonel Grififin was given
command of the brigade which included the Sixth and Ninth,
and was sent with his brigade to heljj General Grant invest
Vicksburg. At the battle of Jackson Colonel Grififin com-
manded the Ninth corps. In January, 1864, the re-enlisted vet-
erans enjoyed a furlough of thirty days in New Hampshire. In
March the Sixth, Ninth, and Eleventh were brigaded, and

Online LibraryJohn N. (John Norris) McClintockColony, province, state, 1623-1888. History of New Hampshire (Volume 1) → online text (page 47 of 58)