John Thomas Scharf.

History of Baltimore city and county, from the earliest period to the present day: including biographical sketches of their representative men online

. (page 125 of 233)
Online LibraryJohn Thomas ScharfHistory of Baltimore city and county, from the earliest period to the present day: including biographical sketches of their representative men → online text (page 125 of 233)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Street, and often beyond it, in the busy season one-
half of this great highway was nightly blocked up by
the ponderous Conestoga wagons, and their superb
teams feeding or munching in a trough fastened to
the wagon-poles. Next day they delivered their flour,
whisky, and provisions along Howard and other
streets, and quickly reloaded with groceries, dry and
fancy goods for the West, and speedily set forth with
their four or six-in-hand teams, each animal tinkling
his jolly crest of a dozen bells along the narrow de-
files of the Alleghanies, the drivers cracking their
huge, savage whips, giving notice of each other's ap-

i proach in the many passes of tlie mountains or
valleys.

The early directories of Baltimore throw a great
deal of light upon these early inns and taverns of the
town. In the first directory of Baltimore, published

I in 1796, which contains only 3240 names, there are,
including two coff'ee-houses and one cook-shop, the
names and sites of ninety-eight taverns and inns.
These taverns were mostly small ones, what would
now be called sailors' boarding-houses and country
taverns. Of the entire number fifty-nine were in

! Old Town and Fell's Point, eight in Thames Street,
and twelve in Bond Street, or more than half as many

I in these two streets as in the whole of the city west

I of the Falls. The number and locality of these tav-
erns show what sort of travel chiefly came to Balti-

! more at that time. It was a sea-faring population,

! clustering about deep water, come after produce, and
the drivers and attendants of country teams, frequent-
ing the wagon taverns on the great public roads, come
to bring flour, hides, bark, provisions, tobacco, ashes,
etc., for barter and shipment. Thebigup-town hotels
got their patronage from transient travel, from West-
ern Shore planters and Eastern Shore farmers, but it
was the taverns about the wharves and on the roads
which did the largest business. These taverns on the
wharves, however, were nearly all of them small, and
probably Gadsby's (Evans' it was then) "Indian
Queen" or Beltzhoover's (Bryden's it was then)
" Fountain Inn" contained each of them a larger
number of rooms and beds than all the taverns on
Bond Street put together.



5U



HISTORY OF BALTIMORE CITY AND COUNTY, MARYLAND.



Our Baltimore tavern-keepers began to get their
training early. There are already two inns set down
in John Moale's rude sketch of the town in 1752, one
Rogers', northeast corner of Calvert and Baltimore
Streets; the other Payne's, corner of Calvert and
Mercer Streets {which latter street was known as Bank
Street in 1796 and 1804).

In 1757, Jacob Myers, from Pennsylvania, estab-
lished an inn on the southeast corner of Baltimore
and Gay Streets, one having been built on the south-
west corner in 1753 by Valentine Larsh. In 1761 two
inns were built, one by Amos Fogg on the corner of
Market (now Baltimore) and Hanover Streets {out of
which grew the "Indian Queen"); the other, called
the " White Horse," corner of Front and Low Streets.
In 1773 we note the existence of a coffee-house on
Fell's Point, and in 1778, Stenson, who had kept a
sort of restaurant before on the corner of East {Fay-
ette) and HoUiday Streets, opened a modern coffee-
house on the southwest corner of South and Baltimore
Streets. Fogg's tavern was probably called " Indian
Queen" very soon after he took it. The directory of
1796 shows us that in that year the " Golden Horse,"
kept by W. Forsyth, was in existence, and also the
"Wheatfield Inn," kept by Nathaniel Hussey. At
this time Nowland kept the tavern southwest corner
of Baltimore and Liberty Streets, opposite Congress
Hall, which was originally founded by George Rein-
icker.

The "Indian ftueen" Hotel.— The old "Indian
Queen" Hotel was situated at the southeast corner of
Hanover and Baltimore Streets. The date of its erec-
tion is uncertain, but it was probably among the very
earliest public-houses in Baltimore Town. In 1782 it
was kept by Daniel Grant, who in December of that
year removed " to his large, new, and elegant house
in Light Lane, between Market Street and Ellicott's
Wharf, where the ' Fountain Inn' is opened." Grant's
immediate successor at the " Indian Queen" is not
known, but in 1794 the hotel was kept by Jacob Starck,
who died on the 3d of April, 1803. In 1796 it passed
into the possession of William Evans, to whom Balti-
more was "indebted for her first regular line of com-
munication with her sister-cities North and South.
Evans died on the 28th of June, 1807, and in October,
1808, John Gadsby, the founder of " Gadsby's Hotel,"
in Washington, took charge of the " Indian Queen."

In 1819, David Barnum, who subsequently built
"Barnum's City Hotel," was landlord of the famous
old hostelry, and was followed by King, and in 1826
by William Beltzhoover, who introduced many changes
in the management. In 1832, Mr. Beltzhoover, who
had removed to the "Fountain Inn," was succeeded
by Capt. Reuben Newcombe, who was the lessee at
the time it was closed preparatory to its demolition.
The title to the property came into the possession of
James Piper after the death of William Evans, and
is still retained in his family. The premises extended
from Baltimore to German Street, and the building



itself was a place of great celebrity in its day, and
many of the mo.st distinguished men of the past were
entertained within its walls.

The "Fountain Inn."— The "Fountain Inn," on
the northeast corner of Light Street and Lovely Lane
(now German Street), was for many years one of the
historic landmarks of the city. It was probably




erected during the Revolutiuu, as the first mention
made of it is in September, 1781, when Gen. Wa.sh-
ington, accompanied by Adjt.-Gen. Hand and other
officers of distinction, arrived in Baltimore on their
way to Virginia, and found accommodations at its
refreshing and friendly sign. In December, 1782,
Daniel Grant removed from the " Indian Queen"
tavern into " his large, new, and elegant house in
Light Lane, between Market Street and Ellicott's
Wharf, where the 'Fountain Inn' is opened for the
reception and entertainment of such gentlemen and
ladies, travelers or others, as shall be pleased to honor
his house with their company." James Bryden suc-
ceeded Grant in the management, and from his ad-
vertisements in the journals of the day we learn that
the inn " cost ten thousand dollars, and had attached
to it a ball-room, hair-dresser's room, stables for
eighty horses, and various outhouses." In the great
fire of Dec. 4, 1796, the inn, which stood opposite the
Methodist meeting-house, was with difiiculty saved
from the flames, and owed its preservation to the
exertions of a traveler, Mr. Francis Charlton, of
Yorktown, Va. In 1808, John H. Barney succeeded
Bryden at the " Fountain Inn," and continued to be
its manager for a number of years. In 1832 the old
building was thoroughly renovated and repaired, and
made equal to the demands of the times. It passed
into the hands of a succession of landlords, and was
closed for. a time previous to 1843, but on the 24th
of June in that year was reopened by Messrs. Dix
and Fogg. At length, after nearly a century of faith-
ful service, the old building was forced to give way



INNS, TAVERNS, AND HOTELS.



before the rivalry of the hotels of to-day, and the site
upon which it once stood is now occupied by a mag-
nificent successor in the " Carrollton Hotel." The
historic associations connected with the locality, how-
ever, still survive, and in spite of the many changes
which modern progress have wrought, recall them-
selves to the minds of those familiar with the history
of the city. It was the favorite stopping-place of
Gen. Washington, and was honored with the presence
of Lafayette during his visit to Baltimore in 1824, as
well as on several previous occasions.

In 1871 a number of enterprising citizens deter-
mined to form a stock company for the purpose of
building a new hotel upon the site of the " Fountain
Inn." The old hotel was torn down, and the present
magnificent " Carrollton Hotel" was erected on its site
in 1872. It is six stories high, with a Mansard roof
and tower, fronting on Light, Baltimore, and German
Streets. It was named after the distinguished Charles
Carroll of Carrollton, the last survivor of the signers
of the Declaration of Independence. The building
contains three hundred and fifty spacious and elegant
apartments, fitted up as family rooms, special guest
and bridal chambers, with all the modern conve-
niences. Each floor is provided with bath-rooms,
water-closets, hose, fire-extinguishers, fire-escapes,
electric call-bells, and a large elevator constantly
runs from office-floor to the top of the building.
Telegraphs and telephones connect the hotel with
the outside world. The hotel-office is the finest in
the city. Col. R. B. Coleman was selected as the
first manager of the " Carrollton," and was succeeded
in 1879 by his sou, Maj. F. W. Coleman, who has
had considerable experience with his father in hotel
management, his father having formerly kept the
"Eutaw House" of Baltimore, the " Astor" and "St.
Nicholas" of New York, and the " International"
of Niagara Falls. S. H. & J. F. Adams were the
builders of the Carrollton Hotel.

The "General Wayne Inn." — The "General
Wayne Inn," at the corner of Baltimore and Paca
Streets, was built shortly after the close of the Revo-
lutionary war by Col. John Eager Howard, and is
the only one of the old inns left standing, the weather-
beaten sign still swinging before the house with a
painting of Gen. Wayne standing near his charger
and apparently surveying a field of battle. This inn
in the olden time was kept by Mr. Cugle, and during
the first quarter of the century was the popular resort
of the citizens of Maryland visiting Baltimore, and
especially the place where politicians were wont to
meet and arrange the political slates. In 1789 it was
kept by Peter Mitchell. On the 17th of October,
1863, the heirs of John E. Howard sold at private
sale to Messrs. Thomas G. Scharf, Edward Wheat,
and George Scott the "General Wayne Inn" and
stables for thirty thousand dollars cash. In 1864,
Mr. Scharf purchased the interest of the other gen-
tlemen at an advance of three thousand dollars.



The "Howard House." — The " Howard House,"
which was originally known as the " Wheatfield Inn,"
was built in 1784 by Melchior Keener. In 1841 it
was rebuilt by Samuel Jones, and on May 3, 1842, it
was opened to the public by John Cockey. On Tues-
day, April 2, 18.50, the " Howard House" was sold by
Messrs. Gibson & Co., auctioneers, and was purchased
by Robert Garrett & Sons for twenty-five thousand
dollars. On March 11, 1863, after being closed for
two years, the house was opened by Col. A. C. Reamer
& Co. Mr. Reamer had been for several years previ-
ously at the "Railway Dining Hotel," at Martinsburg,
Va. In 186.5, John Mcintosh, who had conducted
the hotel for fifteen years, and had retired in 1862,
returned to the management, succeeding Mr. Reamer,
who retired at that time from the business. In the
latter part of 1866 or the beginning of 1867, Messrs.
Bull & Sewell, proprietors of the " Grant House," on
North Calvert Street, became the lessees. On Jan.
22, 1878, Messrs. C. P. Barnard and Solon Fisher, late
of the " Belmont," Philadelphia, took charge of the
place, and in 1881 Solon Fisher became sole pro-
prietor.

The "Globe Inn."— The " Globe Inn" was a large
three-story brick building, situated on the corner of
Baltimore and Howard Streets, fronting on Baltimore
Street fifty-four feet and three inches, and extending
back to German Street one hundred and seventy-one
feet. In 1826 it was kept by J. R. Thomas, who was
succeeded in the proprietorship in 1832 by J. W.
Owings. In 1843 it was thoroughly repaired and re-
furnished, and kept by Jacob Bohn. In 18.51 it passed
into the hands of B. J. Bartholomew, and in 1856 G.
A. Newman became proprietor. In 1854 this prop-
erty was sold at auction to John White for thirty-
three thousand dollars. It had been a famous tavern
in the day of stage, carriage, and horseback travel,
and was only succeeded in its pretensions by the finer
buildings made necessary by railroads.

The " Exchange Hotel."— The " Exchange Hotel,"
extending from Exchange Place through to Second
Street, and near Gay Street, the property of the Com-
mercial Exchange Company, was for many years one
of the most popular hotels in Baltimore. It occupied
a part of the present custom-house building. In 1835
Mr. Page was the landlord, but in 1843 Erastus Cole-
man, the former proprietor of the " Pavilion Hotel"
in Boston, leased the hotel building. Shortly after-
wards Henry F. Jackson, from the " Astor House,"
New York, became a partner of Mr. Coleman. In
December, 1844, the hotel passed into the hands of
John West, formerly of " Barnum's Hotel." The
" Exchange" ranked for many years as one of the
leading hotels of the country.

"Barnum's City Hotel."— The foundation of
" Barnum's City Hotel," on the southwest corner of
Fayette and Calvert Streets, was laid in 1825 by
Messrs. D. Barnum, W. Shipley, and J. Philips, Jr.
In the Federal Gazette for Sept. 11, 1826, it is an-



HISTORY OF BALTIMORE CITY AND COUNTY, MARYLAND.



nouuced "that Mr. Barnum will accommodate the
Philadelphia volunteer company of Washington
Blues at his hotel, .although it is not quite finished."
On the 27th of September, 1826, Mr. Barnum was in
complete possession, and was enabled to render his
guests so comfortable that several were induced to
extend their stay in the city for days and weeks in-
stead of passing rapidly through it. The basement
is of granite from the Susquehanna, near Port De-
posit, and the front appointments of this story were
originally used as a post-office. On Friday, May 10,

1844, David Barnum died, in the seventy-fourth year
of his age ; the funeral took place from the hotel on
the Monday following. In the spring of 1848 an im-
portant addition was made, extending from the orig-
inal termination of the hotel on Fayette Street one
hundred and thirty-five feet westwardly. In 1855,
by the withdrawal of Zenus Barnum from the firm,
Andrew McLaughlin became sole proprietor, and so
remained until his death, on the 29th of January,
1863. Mr. Zenus Barnum then for a short time re-
sumed control of the house as administrator, but in
1865 was succeeded in the management by Daniel and
Joseph Dorsey. On the 15th of December, 1870, the
property was sold at auction by Messrs. F. A. Bennett
& Co., for three hundred thousand dollars, to Robert
E. Fowler and others. It had at that time been for
about ten years the subject of litigation, and conse-
quently somewhat neglected, though apparently with-
out any injury to its reputation as a house of enter-
tainment. The present proprietors are Barnum & Co.

The "Eutaw House."— The "Eutaw House,"
situated at the northwest corner of Baltimore and
Eutaw Streets, was opened for the reception of guests
by the proprietor, William Hussey, in July, 1835. It
is built of brick, and covers an area of more than
nineteen thousand square feet. It has a front on
Eutaw Street of one hundred and twenty-five feet,
and on Baltimore Street of one hundred and ten feet.
It was begun in 1832, and completed in 1835, Samuel
Harris, Esq., being the architect, and Messrs. John
and Valentine Dushane the builders, the brick-work
being done by Jacob Wolff. Mr. Hussey, to whom
Baltimore is indebted for the establishment of this
hotel, retired from the proprietorship of the house
Feb. 28, 1846. Mr. Jackson, of New York, succeeded
him in the management. On Thursday, Oct. 16,

1845, the " Eutaw House" was sold at auction for
fifty-eight thousand five hundred dollars, exclusive of
the furniture, to Messrs. Robert Garrett & Sons. On
Thursday, Dec. 1, 1859, R. B. Coleman, of the firm of
Coleman & Stetson, of the " Astor House" of New
York, succeeded the Messrs. Carroll in the manage-
ment. Mr. Coleman having managed the house dur-
ing the war period, was succeeded by James D. Gil-
mour & Sons, who on the 20th of February, 1874,
relinquished possession to assume control of a house
in Cincinnati. On June 1, 1874, William W. Leland,
of New York, leased tlie house for ten years from



Robert Garrett & Sons. On May 1, 1876, Messrs. A.
J. Ford & Sons, proprietors of " Ford's Hotel," Rich-
mond, Va., took charge of the house, with the option
to purchase at a price not exceeding three hundred
and forty thousand dollars, Maj. Leland, the previous
manager, going to the " Belmont" of Philadelphia.
In 1878, Capt. William J. Walsh, who had been asso-
ciated with Messrs. Ford, purchased their interest in
the hotel, which since its foundation in 18.35 by Asha-
bel Hussey, formerly proprietor of the " Hussey
House," near the same spot, has-been one of the most
popular houses in the United States. It was one of
the first hotels to discard the sign with which custom
had adorned the old inns. In 1880, C. S. Wood
assumed the management for Messrs. Robert Garrett
& Sons.

"Guy's Hotel."— The "Gilmor House," known
afterwards as the " St. Clair," and now known as
" Guy's," on the west side of Monument Square, was
opened to the public by J. M. Smith, formerly of the
" American Hotel," Richmond, Va., who had leased
it from the owner. Judge Gilmor, about the last of Sep-
tember, 1855. The building is six stories high, in ad-
dition to the story below the main floor, and contains
about one hundred and fifty rooms. The front is an
imitation of brownstone, with a cast-iron portico ex-
tending as high as the third story, and containing
three separate floors capable of accommodating two
or three hundred persons.

In 1865, the house having been closed for some
time, was leased to the Messrs. Kirkland & Co. and
reopened. In 1870 it was leased to Mr. Samuel Shoe-
maker, to be used as an office for the Adams Express
Company.

In 1871 the hotel was leased to the Messrs. Gilmour
& Sons, and reopened as the "St. Clair Hotel." For
several years previous to 1881 the " St. Clair Hotel"
remained untenanted. In that year " Guy's Hotel,"
on the northeast corner of Fayette Street and Monu-
ment Square, having been torn down to make room
for the new post-office, Thomas Boylan, the pro-
prietor, leased the "St. Clair Hotel," had it thor-
oughly repaired and refurnished, and opened it as
" Guy's Monument House."

The "Maltby House."— The "Maltby House,"
on Pratt near Light Street, was established in 1854
by a consolidation of Smith's " American House"
and Guy's " United States Hotel," which houses in
that year were purchased by C. S. Maltby. The
" Maltby House" was first conducted by Henry M.
Smith. On the first day it wa-s opened to the public,
Sept. 30, 1854, seventy guests were registered. In
1865, Mr. A. R. Miller was the proprietor. It was
afterwards corKhutcd by C. R. Stewart and J. H.
Jones.

The " Mount Vernon Hotel."— Tlie " Mount Ver-
non Hotel" is situated on the south side of Monu-
ment west of Cathedral Street. The building was
formerly the mansion of Wm. J. Albert. It is of



RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS.



bV,



brownstone, sixty feet front and four stories high,
and in 1867, when it was converted into a hotel, sev-
eral large additions were made, rendering it capable
of accommodating seventy-five guests. In addition
to the elegant furniture, splendid oil paintings, bronze
statuettes, and articles of vertii adorn the lower hall
and many of the chambers. The massive stairways,
oiled wood paneling, velvet carpeting, and wall tap-
estries present a rich and luxurious appearance. The
design of the undertaking was to blend the best fea-
tures of the French caf6 with the comforts and con-
veniences of the leading hotels of this country.

The " Continental Hotel," onHolliday Street next
door to the Holliday Street Theatre, was completed
in 1801 for Wni. EUinger, and was originally called
the " Continental Hotel." It fronted forty-eight feet,
with a depth of one hundred and seventeen feet, and
was four stories high. Its general arrangements dif-
fered from other hotels in Baltimore, and were modeled
after hotels in German cities. The first floor had in
front the saloon, two parlors, and a broad hall, with
a concert-room in the rear capable of seating four hun-
dred persons. Ill the centre of the audience-room a
fountain played, which was lighted at night by a curi-
ously wrought, large chandelier. On the east end of
the room the walls were painted with scenery repre-
senting national subjects. Near the proscenium were
two private boxes, and on the south side of the room
was a confectionery department. The rooms in the
stories above were furnished as lodging-rooms. Its
name was afterwards changed to the " St. Nicholas
Hotel." The building was seriously injured by the
fire which destroyed the Holliday Street Theatre in
September, 1873.

The "American Hotel" is located on the north-
west corner of Franklin and Calvert Streets, opposite
the depot of the Northern Central Railroad Company.
It is four stories high, with a considerable front on
Franklin Street. It was leased by N. P. Sewell, and
opened for the reception of guests about the 1st of
November, 1865, as the " Grant House." In 1871, Mrs.
Fairchilds became the proprietress, refitted and fur-
nished it, and changed the name to that of the
"Americari Hotel."

The "Rennert House," formerly situated on Fay-
ette Street, adjoining the United States court-house
on the west, was built by Robert Rennert in 1871,
and kept on the European style. The first floor
contained a side hall on the right front. There was
another entrance immediately from the street into the
bar and eating-counter room, which extended about
one-third the length of the building back. In the
rear of this the clerk's ofiice and clerks' desks were
located, behind which were suites of dining-rooms.
A wide stairway running up from the hall just in the
rear of the clerk's office communicated with the first
floor, upon which in front were the handsome parlors
of the hotel, with bed-rooms in the rear. The upper
stories were also used for the accommodation of guests.



The kitchens were in the rear basement. This was one
of the most popular eating-houses in Baltimore. In
1880, Mr. Rennert sold the property, among others on
the block, to the United States, and iii 1881 the build-
iilg was torn down to make room for the new post-
office site.

• " Mount Clare Hotel.'"— In 1842 the " Mount Clare
Hotel" was situated a short distance from Mount
Clare Depot, now the Western Scheutzen Park, and
was one of the most pleasant resorts about Balti-
more. From it a full view could be obtained of the
city, the surrounding country, the Patapsco River,
and a portion of the Chesapeake Bay. It had around
it a spacious flower-garden and orchard, and a con-
servatory in which the proprietor of the hotel, Mr.
McPherson, cultivated oranges and lemons.

"Mann's Hotel," originally erected by John R.
Giles, on Baltimore near North Street, was kept for
some years by J. F. Reeside, son of Commodore Ree-
side, and before the days of railroads was known as
one of the largest stage-owners in the United States.
In 1864 the hotel passed into the hands of James D.
Gilmour.

The " Calverton Hotel" was situated on the Cal-
verton road, near its junction with Lexington Street.
It had a commodious front, was four .stories in height,
and extended back about one hundred and ten feet.
The building, which was not entirely completed,
caught fire on the 4th of May, 1853, and was entirely
consumed, leaving the walls so much damaged that
they had to be taken down. It was afterwards re-
built.



CHAPTER XXXIII.



RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS.



PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCHES.

St. Paul's Parish. — This parish originally ex-
tended from the Patapsco River and Falls on the
south to the Pennsylvania line on the north, and
from the Patapsco Falls and the then county line on
the west to the Chesapeake Bay on the east, and to
Middle River, the Big Gunpowder Falls, the Western
Run, Piney Run, etc., on the northeast, by which it
was divided from St. John's parish. Under the act
of 1692, the several parishes having been determined
or defined, the freeholders of each parish were di-
rected to meet by the appointment of the county
justices and make choice of six vestrymen. Such
an appointment having been made, the freeholders
of Patapsco Hundred, as it was then called, after-



Online LibraryJohn Thomas ScharfHistory of Baltimore city and county, from the earliest period to the present day: including biographical sketches of their representative men → online text (page 125 of 233)