John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 7) online

. (page 10 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Wyoming. A younger brother, Eleazer
Blackman, was thirteen years old at the
time of the invasion of the valley in 1778
by the British and Indians under John
Butler, and assisted in building the fort
at Wilkes-Barre by hauling the logs.
Eleazer Blackman afterwards became
prominent in the militia. In September
1800, he was elected and commissioned
captain of the "First Troop of Horse,"
Second Brigade, Eighth Division, Penn-
sylvania Militia. This position he held
for a number of years, and in 1812 he
attained the rank of major in the militia.
From 1 801 to 1803 ^^ was one of the



commissioners of Luzerne county; and
from 1808 to 1810 treasurer of the county.
He lived in Wilkes-Barre township, on a
tract of land where the Franklin mine is
now located, upon which he opened a
mine known as "Blackman mines" — now
known as Franklin mines. He died Sep-
tember 10, 1843, '" the seventy-eighth
year of his age. He was very promi-
nently identified with Masonry, and was
worshipful master of Lodge No. 61 from
1804 to 1809. His daughter, Melinda
Blackman, married Daniel Collings on
October 7, 1813. Daniel Collings was
born of English parentage at Easton,
Pennsylvania, in 1793. He learned the
trade of clockmaker, and early removed
to Wilkes-Barre, where he carried on his
trade and engaged in other business pur-
suits for many years. An old clock now
preserved in the rooms of the Wyoming
Historical and Geological Society is a
specimen of his handiwork, and for many
years did service as "town clock" of
Wilkes-Barre in the window of Mr. Col-
ings' jewelry shop on North side of Public
Square. Mr. Collings was postmaster,
at Wilkes-Barre, for a number of years.

Samuel P. Collings, Esq., second child
of Daniel and Melinda (Blackman)
Collings, was born in Wilkes-Barre, in
May, 1816, and from 1835 to 1852 was
editor and proprietor of "The Republican
Farmer," newspaper of Wilkes-Barre.
For purity of language, boldness of style,
and cogency of reasoning, few men could
excel him. Samuel P. Collings was a
cadet at West Point, but resigned owing
to ill health. In the fall of 1854 he was
appointed United States Consul General
at Tangier, Morocco, for which place he
immediately sailed with his wife, two of
his children, and his wife's youngest
sister. Miss Eleanor Beaumont. He died
at Tangier, June 15, 1855, of fever and
congestion of the lungs, after an illness



2298



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



of three days. The State Department at
Washinglon received from the Emperor
of Morocco an autograph eulogy on the
character of the late consul, showing the
high esteem in which he had been held by
the Emperor.

Eleazer B. Collings, fourth child of
Daniel and Melinda (Blackman) Collings,
was born at Wilkes-Barre in 1820. When
the "Wyoming Artillerists" were organ-
ized, in 1842, he was made second ser-
geant of the company, and subsequently
he became first lieutenant and captain. In
1846, upon the outbreak of the war with
Mexico, the "Wyoming Artillerists" en-
listed in the United States service as
Company I of the First Regiment, Penn-
sylvania Volunteers. Francis L. Bow-
man, heretofore referred to, was commis-
sioned major of the regiment. Edmund
L. Dana was the captain of the company,
and Eleazer B. Collings first lieutenant.
After the surrender of Vera Cruz, in 1847,
Lieutenant Collings being in ill health,
was mustered out of the service at Vera
Cruz, Mexico, 9th day of April, 1847. He
was postmaster in Wilkes-Barre from
1845 to 1849, and from 1858 to 1861, and
was clerk of the courts of Luzerne county,
1861 to 1867. He was postmaster at
Wilkes-Barre two separate terms.

George Collings, seventh child of Daniel
and Melinda (Blackman) Collings, was
born at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, in
1828. He enlisted in Company I, First
Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, and
served as a corporal in the same company
in which his brother, Eleazer, was lieu-
tenant in the war with Mexico, and was
mustered out with the company at Wilkes-
Barre upon its return from Mexico. In
the Civil War he entered the service
October 10, 1862, as second lieutenant.
Company G, One Hundred Forty-third
Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer In-
fantry, and was promoted to first lieu-



tenant, November i, 1863. He was com-
missioned a captain in the same company,
November 20, 1863, but was not mustered
in as a captain. He was discharged Sep-
tember 7, 1864, as first lieutenant.

Joseph Wright Collings, the eleventh
child of Daniel and Melinda (Blackman)
Collings, was born in 1838, and he en-
listed as a musician in Company C, Eighth
Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, April
22, 1 861, and was discharged on the
muster-out of the regiment. He after-
ward served in another Pennsylvania
volunteer regiment and was a tele-
grapher for General Ulysses S. Grant
during the time he was in command of
the Army of the Potomac. He died in
1878 of yellow fever at New Orleans,
Louisiana.

Charles Dougherty, the father of Gen-
eral Dougherty, was born at Albany, New
York, in 1835. He married Julia Beau-
mont Collings, daughter of Daniel and
Melinda (Blackman) Collings, May 30,
1858. He was consul at Londonderry,
Ireland, 1866-1867. He died at Wilkes-
Barre, March 14, 1893.

James Dougherty, a younger brother of
Charles Dougherty, and uncle of Charles
Bowman Dougherty, served as a private
in Company D, Eighth Regiment Penn-
sylvania Volunteers, during the Civil
War, enlisting April 22, 1861, and served
until the muster-out of his regiment, July
29, 1861. He again enlisted in Company
F, Two Hundred and Third Regiment In-
fantry, Pennsylvania Volunteers, Septem-
ber I, 1861, and served until the muster-
out of the regiment at Raleigh, North
Carolina, in June, 1865.

Charles Bowman Dougherty enlisted
as private in Company B, Ninth Regiment
Infantry, National Guard of Pennsylva-
nia, August I, 1881. He was detailed as
regimental clerk, August 12, 1881 ; ap-
pointed principal musician, July 27, 1882 ;



PA- Vol VII-5



2299



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



sergeant-major, May 9, 1883, reappointed
November 7, 1884, and June 20, 1885 ;
commissioned first lieutenant and in-
spector of rifle practice, April 28, 1887,
and reappointed June 23, 1890. He was
elected major of the regiment, November
3, 1892 ; lieutenant-colonel, June 22, 1894,
and colonel, July 14, 1897, and was re-
elected, July 14, 1902.

At the outbreak of the war with Spain,
Colonel Dougherty received from General
J. P. S. Gobin, commanding the Third
Brigade, telegraphic orders April 26,
1898, to assemble the Ninth Regiment and
proceed to Mt. Gretna. At nine o'clock,
p. m., two days later, the regiment left
its armory, and arrived at the rendezvous
next morning at six o'clock. On May 4th
It was paraded to admit of its members
declaring their intention as to volunteer-
ing for active service under the general
government, and eight companies, num-
bering thirty-four officers and four hun-
dred and seventeen men, volunteered for
war service.

May 1 2th, Colonel Dougherty reported
to the adjutant-general of th^ army that
his regiment had been properly mustered
into the service of the United States, and
the next day he received telegraphic
orders to proceed to Chickamauga,
Georgia, where upon its arrival. May 20th,
Colonel Dougherty was assigned to the
command of the Third Brigade, Third
Division, First Army Corps, which com-
mand he held until July 4, 1898, being re-
lieved by the assignment of Brigadier-
General John N. Andrews, who had lately
commanded the Twelfth United States
Infantry. General Andrews served dur-
ing the War of the Rebellion with dis-
tinction in the regular army. He was
appointed brigadier-general of volunteers
by President McKinley, and succeeded
Charles Bowman Dougherty as com-
mander of the Third Brigade, Third



Division, First Army Corps, in 1898.
Colonel Dougherty resumed command of
the brigade on August 25th, retaining it
until his regiment was mustered out.

Under the second call of the President
(McKinley) for troops, the Ninth Regi-
ment recruited through its own officers
an additional battalion, bringing its total
strength up to one thousand three hun-
dred and twenty-three officers and men.

August 25th the regiment marched to
Rossville, near Chattanooga. The regi-
ment was now reduced to thirty-two
officers and nine hundred and eighty-
four men present, on account of the
prevalence of typhoid fever. August 26th
the command took train for Camp Hamil-
ton, five miles from Lexington, Kentucky,
arriving- there August 27, 1898. The war
was now practically over, and prepara-
tions were made for the muster-out of the
regiment under orders from the War De-
partment. September 17th it took train
for home, its strength being thirty-five
officers and eight hundred and sixty-five
men, ten officers and three hundred and
ninety-six men being absent, sick or on
furlough. The mortality of the regiment
from the 2nd of July until the 22nd of
October, 1898, was twenty-nine deaths,
twenty-six of which were from typhoid
fever, one from typhoid and pneumonia,
one from pneumonia, and one from ap-
pendicitis. Of these twenty-nine deaths,
three were captains, viz : Captain Darius
L. Miers, Company F ; Captain Dennison
Stearns, Company B, and Captain Oliver
Hillard Bell, Company D. The sufferings
of the regiment, by reason of the pre-
valence of typhoid fever, was severe in-
deed. These men gave up their lives for
their country as surely as they who fell
at San Juan, El Caney and Santiago.
Death came not upon the battle-field, it
is true, but in line of duty in the service
of their country in a war for humanity.



2300



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



they fell with an honor which comes to
men who serve their country well.

September 19th the regiment arrived in
Wilkes-Barre, and was warmly greeted
by the citizens. Leave of absence of
thirty days was given the officers, and the
men were furloughed for the same period.
During this time the regiment (on Sep-
tember 27th) participated in the Peace
Jubilee in Philadelphia. It was finally
mustered out of the service of the United
States on October 29, 1898, after a term
of service of about six months.

The regiment was reorganized and re-
entered the service of the National Guard
of Pennsylvania early in January, 1899.
Colonel Dougherty was unanimously re-
elected colonel of the regiment at expira-
tion of his commission, July 14, 1902.
He was promoted brigadier-general by
Governor Pennypacker, April 9, 1906, to
succeed General Gobin, who was pro-
moted major-general, and on September
30, 1910, was promoted major-general by
Governor Edwin S. Stewart, and assigned
to the command of the division of the Na-
tional Guard of Pennsylvania, succeeding
Major-General Wendell P. Bowman, re-
tired.

C. B. Dougherty has taken a very great
interest in the progressive work of the
National Guard, and has followed the
new school, as modeled by the War Col-
lege, at Washington, D. C. He is a mem-
ber of the Westmoreland Club and Wyo-
ming Valley Country Club, of Wilkes-
Barre, and the Scranton Club, of Scran-
ton, Pennsylvania. He is a Democrat in
politics. General Dougherty is a member
of the Pennsylvania Society of the Sons
of the Revolution by virtue of descent
from Elisha Blackman, who was lieu-
tenant of the Twenty-fourth Regiment,
Connecticut Militia, member of the Mili-
tary Order of Foreign Wars, and the
Naval and Military Order of the Spanish-



American War, and was first State com-
mander of the Order. For three succes-
sive terms he was president of the Na-
tional Guard Association of Pennsylvania.
General Dougherty married Miss Anna
Posten, of Wilkes-Barre, February 6,
1883. They have two children, Helen and
Marion (wife of James M. Rutter).



JESSUPS, The,

Three Generations of I<awyers.

The Susquehanna county bar, that
home of strong lawyers and distinguished
judges, has been for nearly a century
adorned by the Jessups of three gener-
ations. The first of a great family of
lawyers was William Jessup, born at
Southampton, Long Island, June 21,
1799, a graduate of Yale, class of 1815.
He came to Pennsylvania in 1818. set-
tling at Montrose, where he entered the
law office of Almon H. Read. The fol-
lowing winter he taught the first term of
the Montrose Academy, and in February,
1820, was admitted to the bar. His
progress was at first slow, there being no
occasions of stress or excitement, needed
to bring out his ample, but at that time,
latent powers as an advocate ; yet the
doubts and struggles of his early years
at the bar but strengthened and prepared
him for his later successful career. On
January 2, 1824, he w?.s commissioned
register and recorder of Susquehanna
county by Governor Shultze, and by re-
appointment of Governor Wolf held that
office nine years, declining another ap-
pointment in 1833. In 1838 he was ap-
pointed by Governor Ritner, President
Judge of the Eleventh Judicial District
of Pennsylvania, composing the counties
of Luzerne, Wayne, Pike and Monroe.
A change was later made by which Sus-
quehanna county was added and Luzerne
county detached, and on April 10, 1844,



2301



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Monroe was also placed in another judi-
cial district. At the expiration of his first
term of ten years in 1848 he was reap-
pointed by Governor Johnston, President
Judge of the Eleventh District, which
on April 5, 1849, was changed to comprise
the counties of Luzerne, Susquehanna
and Wyoming. He presided most ably
and conscientiously until the first Mon-
day of December, 1851, when his term
expired, a constitutional amendment
having made the office an elective one.
He had given general satisfaction as a
judge and had gained a wide celebrity in
Northeastern Pennsylvania, which had
extended throughout the State. His
popularity gained him the nomination of
the Whig party for judge of the Supreme
Court, but being in the minority, the entire
Whig ticket was defeated. Judge Jessup
thereupon retired to private practice, en-
riched by the prestige and experience
gained upon the bench. At this time his
reputation as a learned and able lawyer
was second to none in his section of the
State. He was chosen counsel for both
the Erie, and the Delaware, Lackawanna
& Western railroads, and from 1853 to
1857 was president of the Lackawanna
Railroad Company, with an office at the
corner of Wall street and Broadway, New
York. He was one of the noted men of
his time, and conducted many celebrated
cases. He was very eloquent, and had
great power with a jury. One of his most
brilliant forensic triumphs was his de-
fence of Rev. Albert Barnes, the leader
of the new school movement in the Pres-
byterian church, who was charged with
heresy and tried before the General As-
sembly of the church.

As a judge, "he was remarkable for
clearness and readiness upon any sub-
ject within the range of his profession,
and for his prompt dispatch of business
before his court." "No official entrusted



with the power of a judge of the Court
of Common Pleas of this State ever held
the balance with a deeper settled purpose
to admjnister the law with purity and
impartiality."

He was absorbed in the law, but not so
buried as to be unmindful of the social,
educational, agricultural, religious and
military interests of the county. Socially
he was affable and courteous, making
many friends. He aided in every way
the cause of education ; and delivered
addresses before agricultural fairs and
associations, ever upholding the dignity
of labor. He was colonel of a regiment
of militia in his earlier years, and his was
the best drilled regiment in the division.
In politics he was a Democrat, and in
1836 he was the unsuccessful candidate
of that party for Congress. He sided
with Clay in the fight between Jackson
and Adams, and affiliated thereafter with
the Whig party until the formation of the
Republican party. He was a friend of
General Scott, and visited him in Wash-
ington when the war between the States
broke out. In 1861 he wrote Jeremiah
Black, Secretary of State, that the people
"demanded bold, strong and decided
measures in sustaining the constitution,
the laws and the Union, against all ag-
gression." He was zealous in his sup-
port of the government during the war,
and in 1861 was appointed, in connection
with Colonel Swaim and Judge Swan of
Ohio, to visit Washington and present
the views of the "Nine War Governors"
who held a meeting in Cleveland, Ohio,
sending assurance to President Lincoln
of their support and co-operation. He
was an eloquent advocate of the cause of
temperance, and for many years was
ruling elder and Sunday school superin-
tendent of the Presbyterian church at
Montrose, being widely known and
highly honored in his church. He was



2302



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



vice-president of the Foreign Missionary ciated with his brother, Hunting C. Jes-



Society of the Presbyterian Church, and
gave two of his sons to that cause as
missionaries. He was recognized as a
scholar by Hamilton College in 1848,
that institution conferring the degree of
LL. D.

Judge Jessup married, in July, 1820,
Amanda Harris, of Long Island, who
died June 13, 1883, in her eighty-fifth
year ; Judge Jessup died at Montrose,
September 11, 1868, aged seventy-one.
Children : Jane R., married Colonel J.
B. Salisbury, of New York ; Mary G.,
married F. B. Chandler, of Montrose ;
Harriet A., married Isaac L. Post, of
Scranton ; Hon. William H. (see for-
ward) ; Rev. Henry H., D. D., professor
of the Theological Seminary at Beirut,
India ; Rev. Samuel, who was in charge
of the printing department at Beirut ;
Fannie M. ; George A., vice-president of
the Scranton City Bank ; Phoebe Ann ;
Hunting C.

Hon. William H. Jessup, eldest son of
Judge William Jessup, was born at Mont-
rose, Pennsylvania, in February, 1830.
He was a graduate of Yale, class of 1849 ;
studied law under his honored father;
taught in Montrose Academy ; and was
admitted to the Susquehanna county bar
November 15, 1851. He was at once
admitted to a partnership with his father,
2S William and William H. Jessup. He
was an able, laborious, successful lawyer
from the date of his beginning practice
until his death, January 16, 1902. He
at first took charge of the Pike county
business of the firm, and gradually took
all his father's practice, succeeding him
also as counsel for the Erie, and Dela-
ware, Lackawanna & Western railroads ;
the Delaware & Hudson Canal, and the
Montrose railroad companies. He also
had many important trusts, the greatest
of these being the trusteeship of the Jo-
seph Fellows estate. In 1879 he asso-



sup, in law practice, and January i, 1885,
established a law office in Scranton in
partnership with Isaac L. Post, who
shortly afterward died. He then formed
a partnership with his son, William H.
Jessup, and Horace C. Hand. He was a
man of restless energy and force, one of
those nervous organizations whose mind
can never remain idle. He was brusque,
yet businesslike in manner, impressing
one with the idea that here was a man
with no time to waste on petty things.
He was a good corporation lawyer and
special pleader, never trying to cajole or
win a jury save by the soundness of his
legal position, array of precedents, and
the justness of his cause. He was re-
garded by his contemporaries as the
fairest man at the bar to try a case
against, as they felt secure against
trickery of any kind or jury fixing. Dur-
ing his short career on the bench he
gained the same reputation for fairness
and quick dispatch of business held by
his father.

In addition to winning laurels as a
lawyer, he held important public office,
and was active in church work. He was
a Republican, and a member of the con-
vention that nominated Abraham Lincoln
for a second term, as his father had been
of the Chicago convention that first
nominated him.

On August 7, 1863, he was appointed
assessor of the Twelfth Internal Revenue
District, to succeed his father, who had
been appointed the year before by Presi-
dent Lincoln, but had resigned. He held
this office until 1865, when he was super-
seded by an appointee of President John-
son. On May 11, 1871, Governor Geary
commissioned him major-general of the
Tenth Division of the National Guard of
Pennsylvania, and in August, General
Jessup was appointed President Judge of
the Thirty-fourth Judicial District to fill



2303



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



out the unexpired term of Judge Streeter,
deceased. Judge Jessup served about
sixteen months until January, 1879, when
his successor was appointed, and the
judge returned to private practice. Dur-
ing the invasion of Pennsylvania in 1862
and again in 1863, he was in active service
as major of the Twenty-eighth Regiment
Pennsylvania Militia. At the age of
thirteen years, Judge Jessup united with
the Presbyterian church, which he
served as elder for over thirty years, and
as teacher and superintendent in the
Sunday school for forty-five years. He
frequently attended meetings of the
higher courts of the church, and was
active in both home and foreign mis-
sionary work, here again following in the
footsteps of his father. During his pro-
fessional life, Judge Jessup was also a
practical farmer, and president of the
County Agricultural Society, rendering
\aluable service to the farmers by adopt-
mg and suggesting new methods.

He married Sarah W. Jay, of Belvidere,
New Jersey, who bore him: Lillie, mar-
ried Albert Leisenring; William H.,
Mary, George, Louisa, and Ann.

Hunting C. Jessup, son of Judge Wil-
liam Jessup, was born at Montrose,
Pennsylvania, February 18, 1843. He
prepared at Montrose Academy and
Cortland (New York) Academy, entered
Yale University, and was graduated in
July, 1864. After graduation he began
the study of law under his father, but
soon afterward enlisted in the Union
army, serving nine months and attain-
ing the rank of first lieutenant. He com-
pleted his law studies after the war ; was
admitted to the bar of Susquehanna
county at the November term in 1868,
and after the retirement of his brother,
William H., from the bench, became his
law partner. He is a well read, able
lawyer, and has been connected with
many important cases. He was judge



advocate of the State militia, and a man
of high standing, both as lawyer and
socially. During the war he married the
daughter of Dr. Cobb, of Nashville, Ten-
nessee.

William H. Jessup, son of Judge Wil-
liam H. and grandson of Judge William
Jessup, was born at Montrose, Pennsyl-
vania, July 24, 1858. He prepared at
Wilteston Academy, and entered Yale
University, where he finished his classical
education. Son and grandson of two
great lawyers and judges, it was but
natural that his ambition should lead him
toward a similar career. He read law
with his father, and in 1886 was admitted
to the bar. He was a member of the law
firm of Jessup & Hand from 1886 to 1896,
a firm that after the latter date became
Jessup & Jessup. Their business is
largely corporation law and is a very
large and well managed one. Mr. Jessup
was for a number of years a member of
the Pennsylvania National Guard and
held the rank of first lieutenant. Polit-
ically he is Republican.



THAW, William, Jr.,

Philanthropist, Friend of Science.

Seldom indeed is it that a man by force
of character and greatness of nature
leaves a deep and lasting impress upon
the life of his community, but in the late
William Thaw, Jr., Pittsburgh had the
good fortune to possess such a citizen.
Mr. Thaw was a dominant figure in the
business world, and as a capitalist his
influence was felt in matters financial,
educational and scientific — in the last-
named to a degree rarely attained by one
not of professional standing. The record
of Mr. Thaw appears doubly remarkable
when considered in connection with the
comparatively few years allotted to him
for the accomplishment of all that he
bi ought to pass.



2304



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



William Thaw, Jr., was born December
14, 1853, in the old family residence on
Fifth street, Pittsburgh, and was a son
01 the late William Thaw, St., a
biography of whom, together with the
genealogy of the family, appears else-
where in this work. The boy was edu-
cated mainly by private tutors, and was
a graduate of the Western University of
Pennsylvania (now the University of
Pittsburgh), and always manifested a
studious disposition. On reaching man-
hood he became an active contestant in