John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 7) online

. (page 17 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

men of high standing and of value to
their community. After peace came be-
tween the warring factions and Penna-
mite and Yankees began the work of re-
building their devastated valley the Rey-
nolds family at once became prominent
in official and business life.

W^illiam Reynolds, from whom spring
the Wyoming Valley family, was born in
Kingston, Rhode Island, fourth in de-
scent from William Reynolds, of Eng-
land, who in 1629 settled in Salem, Massa-
chusetts, after a short reisidence in Ber-
muda. In 1637 he joined Roger Williams
in Rhode Island, and became one of the
founders of that colony. He was suc-
ceeded by his son James, a landowner
and constable of Kingston, who in turn
was succeeded by his son James, who



married Mary Greene, daughter of James
and Deliverance Potter Greene.

James Reynolds and Mary Greene were
the parents of William Reynolds, the pio-
neer ancestor of the Wyoming Valley
family. William Reynolds married Deb-
orah, daughter of Benjamin and Humility
Coggeshall Greene, through whom de-
scent is traced to John Greene and John
Coggeshall, first Governor of Rhode
Island, famous as builders of the Rhode
Island Colony.

In 1769 William Reynolds moved to
Pennsylvania, taking possession of lands
allotted him under the Susquehanna
Company, later acquiring much property
by purchase. He resided in Plym.outh
until the battle of W^yoming, in which he
took part with his son William, whose
name is enrolled on Franklin's list of
those slain in the massacre. William
Reynolds died at Plymouth in 1792, aged
nearly one hundred.

David, the second son of William and
Deborah Greene Reynolds, was born in
Rhode Island, June 17, 1734- He resided
in Plymouth until obliged to flee from the
Indians. He died at Plymouth, July 8,
1816. David Reynolds married (second)
in 1779, Mrs. Hannah Andrus Gaylord,
widow of Charles Gaylord, a Revolution-
ary soldier.

Benjamin Reynolds, only child of David
and Hannah Andrus Gaylord Reynolds,
was born February 4, 1780, during the
flight of his parents from Plymouth, and
amid surroundings of the severest cold
and storm. He was brought to Plymouth
by his parents about 1785, and there re-
sided until his death, February 22, 1854.
He was engaged in mercantile business,
served as sheriff by appointment, and for
nearly fifty years held the ofifice of justice
of the peace. He was a member of the
Masonic order, and a warm supporter of
school and church. He married Lydia



2345



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Fuller, second child of Joshua and Sybil
Champion Fuller, of Mayflower descent,
and through whom descent is also traced
to Lieutenant Champion, of Connecticut.
She died August 29, 1828.

William Champion Reynolds, eldest
child of Benjamin Reynolds and Lydia
Fuller Reynolds, was born in Plymouth,
Pennsylvania, December 9, 1801 ; died at
his residence on South River street,
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, January 25,
1869. Educated at private schools, he
was prepared to enter Princeton College,
ill health, however, compelling the aban-
donment of this course. At an early age
he became a business partner of Hender-
son Gaylord, a connection existing until
1835, when he engaged in business alone
— mining and shipping coal. In 1836 and
1837 he served in the Pennsylvania Legis-
lature, and advocated those means of in-
ternal State improvement that have been
so beneficial. On March 15 he was ap-
pointed one of the Associate Judges of
Luzerne county. He became president of
the Lackawanna & Bloomsburg Railroad
Company, now a part of the Delaware,
Lackawanna and Western railroad. He
was director of the Wyoming National
Bank, and one of the original members
of the Wyoming Historical and Geolog-
ical Society. Judge Reynolds married,
June 19, 1832, Jane Holberton Smith,
born at Plymouth, April 3, 1812, a daugh-
ter of John and Frances Holberton Smith,
of Revolutionary and Colonial descent.
His father and his brother, Abiga, were
the pioneer miners and shippers of an-
thracite as early as 1808, when they
shipped over two hundred tons from
Plymouth to their factories in New York.
John Smith was born in Derby, New
Haven county, Connecticut, April 22,
1781 ; died May 7, 1852.

Benjamin Reynolds was born on
Christmas Day, 1849, '" Kingston, Penn-



sylvania, the youngest child of Hon. Wil-
liam Champion Reynolds and Jane Hol-
berton Smith Reynolds. He received his
education in private schools at Wilkes-
Barre, to which place he moved with his
family in his thirteenth year. Soon after
his graduation from Princeton University
in 1872 he entered the Peoples' Bank for
the purpose of a course in business, re-
maining there for two years, after which
he became cashier of the Anthracite
Bank. Mr. Reynolds brought new ideas
and fresh energy to the bank ; was instru-
mental in interesting other capitalists and
was such a wholesome addition to its
strength that in iSgo he was elected presi-
dent. Under his wise, conservative yet
progressive management, the bank won-
derfully increased in usefulness and stand-
ing showing enormous gains in every de-
partment, and becoming one of the strong
financial institutions of the State. In
1912 a merger was accomplished with the
Miners' Savings Bank, the consolidating
interests continuing as the Miners' Bank,
with Mr. Reynolds as president and direc-
tor until his death, April 4, 1913.

He had other important business inter-
ests, and served as a director of the Haz-
ard Manufacturing Company ; the Wilkes-
Barre & Wyoming Valley Traction Com-
pany, and the Hanover Fire Insurance
Company, of New York, etc. He was a
member of the Wyoming Historical and
Geological Society and of the Westmore-
land Club. In political faith he was a
Democrat and in religious belief a Pres-
byterian.

At a special meeting of the board of
directors of the Miners' Bank of W'ilkes-
Barre, held in the office of Conyngham &
Company, in the bank building, April 7,
1913, with Directors Derr, McClintock,
Ryman, Harvey and Conyngham present,
Vice-President Derr presiding, the fol-
lowing resolutions prepared by the spe-



2346




^icaUrJ-n:^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



cial committee and presented by the
chairman, Mr. McClintock, was adopted :

The death of our beloved President, Benja-
min Reynolds, in the midst of the formative
period of our history, when we are changing
from two modest institutions into a strong,
virile bank with broadened powers and wider
scope and influence, comes with crushing weight
upon us. He, more than any other member of
this Board, was filled with the potent possibili-
ties for our successful future and to his master-
ful personality we looked for the full and effec-
tive fruition of our plans. We still realize the
courage and force he showed in his fight against
weakness and lassitude, when instead of suc-
cumbing to his failing physical powers his brave
front and ready hand veiled our eyes and caused
us to overlook what the cost in effort must have
been to him. By his long and diligent training
in his chosen work he had been well qualified
for his task. No training, however, could sup-
ply his natural gifts of honesty, strict upright-
ness, sound judgment, fearlessness, singleness
of purpose and persistent in his ideas of right
and justice and with all of them his cheerful
sunny nature and great personal charm making
a rare union of happy qualities as fine and true
as they are unusual. It is with heartfelt sorrow
that we pay our tribute to his memory and ex-
press our deep sense of personal loss to our
institution and we tender to his stricken family
our tenderest and sincerest sympathy in their
hour of grief and pain.

Benjamin Reynolds married, Decem-
ber 17, 1879, Grace Goodwin Fuller,
daughter of Hon. Henry M. and Harriet
Irwin Tharp Fuller, of Wayne county,
Pennsylvania, who survives him, with
one daughter, Edith Lindsley Reynolds.

Henry M. Fuller was a son of Amzi
Fuller, a prominent lawyer of Wayne
county, Pennsylvania, until 1841, when
he moved to Wilkes-Barre, and was ad-
mitted to the Luzerne county bar, Janu-
ary II, 1822. He was born in Kent, Con-
necticut, October 19, 1793, and died Sep-
tember 26, 1847 ; son of Captain Revile
Fuller, fifth in descent of the Mayflower
family of that name. Amzi Fuller mar-
ried, February 10, 1818, Maria Mills, born



April 7, 1799, died August 24, 1885, a
daughter of Colonel Philo and Rhoda
Goodwin Mills, of Kent, Connecticut.
Henry M. Fuller, born at Bethany,
Wayne county, June 3, 1820, died in Phil-
adelphia, December 26, i860. He was
graduated with highest honors from
Princeton College, class of '38, at the age
of eighteen years. He then pursued a
course of legal study and was admitted
to the Luzerne county bar January 3,
1842. He had a distinguished public
career, beginning in 1842, when as a
Whig he was elected to the Pennsylvania
Legislature. In 1849 he was the nomi-
nee of the Whig party of the State for
Canal Commissioner, and in 1850 was
elected to Congress, and served in the
thirty-second Congress. He was defeat-
ed for reelection by Hendrick B. Wright,
but in 1854 was elected to the Thirty-
fourth Congress over this same opponent.
In December, 1855, Henry M. Fuller was
a candidate for Speaker of the House,
put forward by the Whig and Know-
Nothing party, he and Nathaniel P.
Banks being the most prominent candi-
dates. After two months of contest, dur-
ing which one hundred and thirty-three
ballots had been taken, Mr. Banks was
declared elected. After the expiration of
his congressional term in March, 1857,
Mr. Fuller moved with his family to Phil-
adelphia, and there resided until death.
He was one of the most able men in the
State, and won national reputation.

Mr. Fuller married Harriet Irwin
Tharp, who died at Wilkes-Barre, July
18, 1890, daughter of Michael Rose and
Jerusha Lindsley Tharp and the mother
of two sons and five daughters.



SMITH, Stephen D.,

Mnsical Composer.

The life of Stephen Decatur Smith, de-
voted for many years to business and to



PA-Vol VII-8



2347



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



the advancement of art, came to a tragic
ending when on the 19th of March, 1908,
he passed away in the Jefferson Hospital
as a result of injuries sustained on the
evening of the i8th of February, when
he was run over by a cab at Broad and
Walnut streets, Philadelphia. He was
then eighty-seven years of age. Of artis-
tic nature and temperament, his life con-
sisted of ennobling influence in its devo-
tion to all that is refining and uplifting
as opposed to the crude and coarse. For
half a century he had been widely known
as a composer of music, nor was his name
an unfamiliar one in literary circles.

Mr. Smith was born in Philadelphia,
April 5, 1820, and came of a family long
distinguished in art and literary circles.
His father, Francis Gurney Smith, was a
writer of note, and belongs to one of the
old Philadelphia families, as did his wife,
who bore the maiden name of Eliza
Mackey. He was one of the founders of
the Musical Fund Society, his father was
a friend of Commodore S. Decatur, in
whose honor his son was named.

In the acquirement of his education,
Stephen Decatur Smith attended the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania, from which he
was graduated as a civil engineer. His
first work in a professional capacity was
with the Southern Railroad Company,
and on the completion of the building of
its line he continued with the company as
a draftsman for a short period. He after-
ward became connected with the glass
and iron business, and remained in active
association with the latter for many years,
or until his retirement in 1905, during
which period keen discernment, capable
management and wisely directed industry
brought him substantial success.

In other fields, Mr. Smith was even
more widely known. His ability as a
composer was recognized for half a cen-
tury, and he was closely identified with



musical interests in Philadelphia. He
was regarded as an authority upon ques-
tions relating to music and musicians,
and was a constant patron of concert and
opera and an enthusiastic worker in all
branches of musical activity. His com-
positions displayed rare ability and wide
range. His name was deeply engraved
on the lives of those who had done much
for the promotion of culture and talent in
this city. He was a stockholder and one
of the original subscribers to the Acad-
emy of Music, a guarantor of the Phila-
delphia Musical Festival Association and
one of the originators of the old Abt Sing-
ing Society. His fame as a composer
spread abroad, and he gained distinction
especially by setting poems and ballads
to music. This was to him merely a recre-
ation and matter of interest, for he never
wrote for profit. Whenever he read a
poem that appealed particularly to him,
he arranged music for it, and, if his
friends liked the arrangement, it was
theirs for asking. He composed in all
over eighty songs, all of high artistic
order. One of the best known of his com-
positions was the arrangement of Kings-
bury's famous old ballad of "The Three
Fishers." He simply signed his initials
to the music, but nevertheless the song
brought him much fame, for soon after
it was published it was being sung all
over the country. Another of his com-
positions and a great favorite in Masonic
circles is his arrangement of George H.
Boker's "Lay Him Low," a song that is
always used in Masonic lodges of sorrow,
and frequently at military funerals. He
was a close personal friend of Mr. Boker
and other distinguished men of the times.
Song after song came from his pen, but
for none of these did he receive or accept
remuneration. His compositions included
a long list of war songs, among which
were Tennyson's "Bugle Song," and



2348



;^






-* . » " ■<> ^ *'**va^



c-c-oXcw-



*^J^»Vvv\'Vv




ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



"Home They Brought Her Hero Dead."
He composed music for "Why, Soldiers,
Why," the words of which were written
by General Wolf before the battle of
Quebec, also for "The Peace of the Val-
ley is Fled." In his musical writings
alone he bequeathed to the world at large
something which has distinct value and
will to the end of time.

On the 25th of April, i860, Mr. Smith
was married to Miss Elizabeth Mayland
Cuthbert, a daughter of Samuel and
Anna (Mayland) Cuthbert, of Philadel-
phia. They became the parents of two
sons : Stephen Decatur, who was born
September 28, 1861, and died December
17, 1909; and Percival, who was born
July 5, 1864, and passed away February
23, 1872. The elder son was very promi-
nent socially and was well known in the
literary world as a reviewer of books. At
one time he was on the literary stafif of
one of the country's best known maga-
zines. He completed his literary educa-
tion by graduation from the University
of Pennsylvania with the class of 1884,
and, like his distinguished father before
him, he left an indelible impress upon
literary circles. He married Florence
Eustis, and to them were born two sons:
S. Decatur Smith (3rd), died at the age
of two years ; Percival C. Smith ; and a
daughter, Florence Eustis, who died in
infancy.

Stephen Decatur Smith died of pneu-
monia at his apartments in the Ritten-
house, December 17, 1909. Only about a
year and a half before, his father had
passed away at the venerable age of
eighty-seven years. The family is noted
for longevity, Stephen D. Smith, Sr., and
all of his brothers living to celebrate their
golden wedding. Both father and son oc-
cupied a prominent place among the men
of intelligence whose interests reached out
broadly into the thought realm and found



pleasure in the solution of vital questions
and problems as well as in the delicate
imagery of the writer, musician and poet.
Mrs. Stephen D. Smith, who died De-
cember 27, 1913, was the grandmother of
Percival C. Smith, whose father's and
grandfather's steel plates accompany this
sketch. As further evidence of family
longevity, it may be noted that Mrs. Ste-
phen D. Smith, wife of Stephen D. Smith,
Sr., died at the age of eighty-one years,
while her mother lived until ninety-three
years of age. Mr. Percival C. Smith is also
a literary man, and promises to uphold
the family traditions.



PARDEE, Ariovistus,

Foander of Pardee Scientific Department.

His ancestors settled in New Haven,
Connecticut, and were mother and son
refugees from France to England and
thence to the New Haven Colony about
1648.

Ariovistus Pardee was of the seventh
generation from George, the New Haven
settler, and was born in the town of
Chatham, Columbia county. New York,
November ig, 1810, but his earliest recol-
lections were of his father's farm in Ste-
phentown, Rensselaer county. New York,
a few miles north of New Lebanon
Springs, where he led the usual life of a
farmer's boy until his twentieth year. His
education was limited to what he learned
at his father's fireside and the ordinary
district school, though fortunately he had
for a time the advantage of an excellent
teacher in the Rev. Moses Hunter, a
Presbyterian clergyman, who to eke out
a scanty salary taught a district school
one or two winters. He was then fifteen
years old, and this teaching about fin-
ished his school education, though he was
an industrious worker at his books in his
leisure time at home.



2349



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



In June, 1830, he made application
through his friend, Edwin A. Douglas,
for a situation under him, and Canvass
White, Esq., the chief engineer of the
Canal Company, in the engineer corps of
the Delaware and Raritan Canal in New
Jersey, with good hopes of success, as
Mr. Douglas was a townsman and had
known him from a child ; but he was met
with the, to him, disheartening news,
that the company had decided to em-
ploy none but Jersey men in the sub-
ordinate positions. A day or two after
he received another letter saying that if
he came on at once he could have the
position of rodman. Receiving the letter
on Saturday, he left home before daylight
on the Monday morning following, join-
ing Mr. Douglas and his corps on the
preliminary survey a few miles above
Trenton. With him he remained until
the canal was finally located, when he
was stationed at Princeton, with George
Tyler Olmstead, who had charge of the
middle division of the canal. There he
remained until the fall of 1831, when he
was sent as sub-assistant to Ashbel
Welch, Esq., at Lambertville, on the Del-
aware and Raritan canal, remaining there
until May, 1833, when he was sent, still
under Mr. White and Mr. Douglas, to
Beaver Meadow, Pennsylvania, to make
the survey and location of the Beaver
Meadow railroad from the mines of that
company to the Lehigh canal at Mauch
Chunk. After several changes in the
engineer corps the entire charge of the
road was given to him, and in the fall of
1836 it was finished and the shipment of
coal commenced, when he resigned his
position, and in the month of February,
1837, he took up his quarters at Hazleton,
under the Hazleton Railroad & Coal
Company, having previously located a
railroad from the Hazleton coal mines to
the Beaver Meadow railroad at Weather-



ly. He finished that road, and com-
menced shipping coal in the spring of
1838, continuing in the employ of the
Hazleton Railroad and Coal Company as
their superintendent until 1840, when he
commenced business as a coal operator,
which he continued to the time of his
death, also engaging to a considerable
extent in iron and lumber.

He founded the Pardee Scientific De-
partment at Lafayette College, giving in
various sums and at various times ap-
proximately $500,000. He died at Or-
monde, Florida, March 26, 1892.

Of his sons, the eldest, Ario Pardee,
Jr., was graduated as a civil engineer
from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,
and at the outbreak of the Civil War en-
listed as captain of Company A, Twenty-
eighth Regiment Pennsylvania Volun-
teers, resigning at its close in 1865 as
commander of a brigade in General Sher-
man's army. He died in 1898.

Calvin, the second son, graduated from
Rensselaer Institute also, and enlisted at
the outbreak of the Civil War, but was
invalided home in 1862 with typhoid
fever, and after many years engaged in
coal mining, has now retired from active
business.

The third son, Israel Piatt, was gradu-
ated from Lafayette College in 1874, and
is now president of the Hazleton Na-
tional Bank at Hazleton, Pennsylvania.

Barton, the fourth son, is a retired lum-
berman.

The fifth son, Frank, graduated from
Lafayette College in 1879, and is engaged
in the coal mining business at Hazleton,
Pennsylvania.



SHOEMAKER, Levi I., M. D.,

Physician, Hospital Official.

Far from the land of his birth and the
scenes of the activities of his useful life,
Dr. Shoemaker passed to the care of the



2350




<:^2/v^ ^, c:;^'^r^^Hf,-' - ^-<-<;2>^t>-v^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Great Physician, but neither time nor
distance can dim the memory of that
kindly, courteous gentleman who was so
dear to all who knew him.

Dr. Shoemaker was the sixth child of
Lazarus D. and Esther Waller (Wad-
hams) Shoemaker, of Wilkes-Barre,
grandson of Colonel Elijah Shoemaker,
and great-grandson of Lieutenant Elijah
Shoemaker, of Wyoming, lieutenant of
the Twenty-fourth Regiment Connecticut
Militia, who was murdered by Windecker
in cold blood at the Wyoming Massacre,
July 3, 1778, after the action was over.
He was also a descendant of Colonel
Nathan Denison, colonel of the Twenty-
fourth Connecticut Regiment, who com-
manded the left wing at Wyoming under
Colonel Zebulon Butler on that fatal July
3rd. Colonel Denison's daughter, Eliza-
beth S., was the wife of Colonel Elijah
Shoemaker to whom she was married in
1800. Dr. Shoemaker also traced descent
to Hendrick Jochem Schoonmaker, of the
Dutch family of New York who came to
New York in the military service of Hol-
land in 1655. The line of descent is
through the founder's son, Jochem Hen-
drickse Schoonmaker, an original settler
of Rochester, New York; his son, Benja-
min Schoonmaker, an early settler in the
province of Pennsylvania, and one of the
pioneers of the Wyoming region ; his son,
Lieutenant Elijah Shoemaker, the "Wyo-
ming Martyr"; his son, Colonel Elijah
Shoemaker, sheriif of Luzerne county
and colonel of militia ; his son, Lazarus
Denison Shoemaker, A. B., Yale, class of
1840, member of Congress, and most con-
spicuous in the financial and industrial
development of the Wyoming Valley, a
lawyer of hig'h repute, and a tireless
worker for philanthropy, charity and the
church. He married, October 10, 1848,
Esther Waller Wadhams, daughter of
Samuel and Clorinda Starr (Catlin) Wad-
hams.



Levi Ives Shoemaker was born at
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, September
28, 1859, and died at Bad Nauheim, Ger-
many, September 27, 1909. He prepared
in private school in Wilkes-Barre, and
Hopkin's Grammar School, New Haven,
Connecticut, then entered Yale Univer-
sity, whence he was graduated Bachelor
of Arts, class of '82. Choosing medicine
as his profession, he entered the Medical
Department of the University of Penn-
sylvania, receiving his degree of M.D.,
in the class of '86. He began the practice
of his profession in Wilkes-Barre as
junior resident-physician at the City Hos-
pital, and during the following two years
gained experience there and at the Penn-
sylvania and University hospitals in
Philadelphia. In May, 1888, he began
private practice in Wilkes-Barre, but was
ever connected with hospital work. From
1890 until 1908 he was a member of the
medical staff of the City Hospital, and
from 1899 to 1909 consultant to the
Mercy Hospital ; was physician to the
Luzerne County Humane Society; and
the Wilkes-Barre Home for Friendless
Children ; and surgeon to the Pennsyl-
vania and New Jersey Central railroads.

From 1902 until 1909 he was a member
of the board of trustees of the State
Asylum at Danville; member of the Lu-
zerne County Medical Society, 1888-1909,
and its president in 1904 ; member of the
Pennsylvania State Medical Society,
American Medical Association, and the
American Academy of Medicine. He
joined the Wyoming Historical and Geo-
logical Society in 1894, and in 1905 was
elected its vice-president. His business
relations were with the Second National
Bank, which he served as a director from
1895, and with the Spring Brook Water
Company, of which he was a director
from 1893 to 1896.

Through his patriotic ancestry he
gained membership in the Pennsylvania