John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 7) online

. (page 26 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

burgh, Dr. Simpson entered upon a career
of general practice in Carnegie, Pennsyl-
vania. While practicing in Carnegie he
2404




i



^i^ ^^i^4



ENCYCLOPEDIA -OF BIOGRAPHY



was surgeon for the Pennsylvania Rail-
road Company and the Wabash Railroad
Company. In 1913 he spent some time in
post-graduate work in New York City
and Berlin, Germany, devoting his at-
tention to diseases of the nose, ear and
throat, and on April i, 1914, began prac-
tice in Pittsburgh as a specialist in these
ailments. Dr. Simpson is a member of
the staff of the Homoeopathic Hospital of
Pittsburgh, and belongs to the Pennsyl-
vania State Homoeopathic Medical Soci-
ety, the Allegheny County Homoeopathic
Medical Society, the American Institute
of Homoeopathy, and the Phi Alpha
Gamma fraternity. In politics he is a
Republican. Dr. Simpson is a member of
the First Presbyterian Church of Car-
negie, Pennsylvania.

April 27, 1897, Dr. Simpson enlisted as
a private in the Fourteenth Regiment,
Pennsylvania National Guard, and served
in the Spanish-American War. He was
mustered out February 28, 1898.

On October 12, 1904, Dr. Simpson mar-
ried Bessie Foster, daughter of John A.
and Tillie (Foster) Bell, of Carnegie,
Pennsylvania, and they are the parents of
two sons: John A., born October 21,
1905; and James William, born June 19,
1907.



LLOYD, Henry,
Manufacturer, Financier, Philanthropist.

One of the strong men of the old Pitts-
burgh — one of those Titans of trade whose
heroic proportions seem to dwarf their
successors of the present day — was the
late Henry Lloyd. Mr. Lloyd was a man
who touched life at many points, and his
great abilities and sterling traits of char-
acter caused him to be regarded by the
entire community with feelings of pro-
found admiration.

Thomas Lloyd, father of Henry Lloyd,



held many offices of trust and responsibil-
ity in his section of the country, Hunting-
don county, Pennsylvania, among these
being that of sheriff of the county for
many years. One of his sons was John,
who took an active part in the cause of
religion from his earliest years and re-
mained closely identified with religious
works throughout his life. While acting
in the capacity of a missionary to China
to convert the heathen there, he was
taken ill and died at Hong Kong. Thomas
Lloyd married, January 12, 1813, Cather-
ine Moore.

Henry Lloyd, son of Thomas and
Catherine (Moore) Lloyd, was born in
Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, De-
cember 25, 1817, and the common schools
of his day and section gave but scant
opportunity for a thorough education.
Earnest and energetic from his youth up-
ward, he made the best use of these
opportunities, and utilized every spare
moment to gain still further knowledge.
His general aptitude for a business life
was dem.onstrated when he was very
young, and when he began his business
career as a clerk in the large forwarding
and commission house of D. Leech &
Company, his station being at Hollidays-
burg, on the old Pennsylvania Canal &
Portage railroad line, he had ample op-
portunity to display his executive ability.
The experience of all kinds he gained in
this position was of inestimable value to
him, and a number of other business men
who have since then become prominent,
gained their early training there.

Naturally ambitious and anxious to
work out his career independently, Henry
Lloyd was ever looking forward to the
time when he would be at the head of a
business of his own, and was on the alert
to seize upon any favorable opportunity.
This offered itself in 1854, when the Ken-
sington Iron Works was placed on the



2405



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



market, this being one of the oldest estab-
lishments of its kind in the city of Pitts-
burgh. Mr. Lloyd associated himself
with Mr. George Black, and together they
purchased an interest in this business, the
concern operating under the firm name of
Miller, Lloyd & Black. Three years later
Mr. Miller sold his interest to his part-
ners, and the firm was known as Lloyd &
Black until the death of Mr. Black, in
1872. During these years the business of
the firm had been extended in every pos-
sible direction, its methods being progres-
sive yet conservative and safe, and it had
become recognized as one of the most im-
portant iron industries of the entire
country. The prosperity attending these
years resulted in the acquisition of the
larger part of the great fortune of Mr.
Lloyd, his business principles being of
the highest character. A cash basis was
the guiding rule of the management, and
it was considered imperative that there
should always be an ample reserve fund
on deposit in the bank. It was a matter
of rare occurrence to have any labor
trouble, for the relations between Mr.
Lloyd and his employees were rather that
of a fatherly friend toward his com-
panions, than that of master and man. In
times of sickness or other sorrow they
went to him with full confidence in the
help which they felt would be forthcom-
ing, and this feeling was never a mistaken
one.

The third change made in the name of
the firm was upon the death of Mr. Black,
at which time Mr. Lloyd purchased his
interest and reorganized the firm. He
took into partnership his son, Henry Mc-
Kinney Lloyd, and Henry Balkan, and
the name was changed to Henry Lloyd,
Son & Company. This arrangement left
Henry Lloyd more time to devote to char-
itable work, in which he had always taken
a beneficial interest. He was the presi-



dent of the Pittsburgh Insurance Com-
pany, and held this office until his death ;
was also president and one of the trustees
of the People's Savings Bank ; one of the
founders and a director in the Merchants'
and Manufacturers' Bank ; and president
of the Safe Deposit Company for many
years. The conscientious attention he had
given to the conduct of the business of
which he had been head for so many
years, characterized all his work in con-
nection with all of these institutions, and
he was as careful of the trusts reposed in
him as if they had been for his sole and
individual benefit. It was this quality,
and several others of like character, that
won for him the esteem and confidence of
all his business associates and of the en-
tire community.

In political matters Henry Lloyd kept
well in touch with the trend of the time,
and give his adherence to the Republican
party. He was never desirous of holding
public office, but when he was convinced
that it was for the best interests of the
community that he should accept public
ofiice, he did not hesitate to accept the
proflfered honor. In 1868 he was elected
to serve in the select council, and was re-
elected several times. While in office he
served as a member of the water com-
mittee, being chairman of that body, and
as a member of the finance committee. In
these offices he displayed the sound com-
mon sense and executive ability which
had won success for him in the business
world, and his ability was recognized by
all.

In charitable and church work, the good
accomplished by Henry Lloyd can scarce-
ly be overestimated. Upon his removal to
the East End, Pittsburgh, he, in associa-
tion with several others of like opinions,
organized a Sunday school, as there was
neither Sunday school nor church in that
section at that time. This was the seed



2406



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



from which grew the Bellefield Presby-
terian Church, one of the largest congre-
gations of the entire city. In his capacity
of superintendent of the Sunday school,
Mr. Lloyd was brought into close per-
sonal touch with every inhabitant of the
parish, and won their love. Not satisfied
with this, he donated the site on which
the present church structure was erected,
and of the $20,000 necessary to build the
church, he donated $15,000. In this con-
nection may be mentioned that he also
donated a sum of $10,000 to a denomina-
tional college for girls, giving it, however,
in the name of the Bellefield Church. This
is but one example of his modesty in be-
stowing gifts, as nothing was more
obnoxious to him than to be publicly
thanked. His direct personal charities
will never be known, as they were be-
stowed in the most unostentatious man-
ner possible with a full investigation of
the case in point. In the fitting words of
one who was so situated as to gain knowl-
edge of some of the charities of Henry
Lloyd : "The only reward that he seemed
to regard was that his sense for humanity
and duty to God should be satisfied." For
a long period of time he was a director of
the American Sunday School Union, and
president of the Presbyterian Committee
of Missions in Allegheny county. He
also served as trustee of the Western
Theological Seminary, the Western Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania (now University
of Pittsburgh), and the Jefferson College.
Mr. Lloyd married (first) September 3,
1845, Jane F., daughter of the Rev. David
McKinney, D. D., an eminent divine of
his day, who was the founder and for
many years the editor of the "Presbyter-
ian Banner." Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd were
the parents of eight children: i. Hetty
Finley, born September 21, 1846, died
September 12, 1848. 2. Eliza McKinney,
born June 12, 1848, died July 26, 1849. 3.

2407



Thomas, born July 26, 1850, died Novem-
ber 28, 185 1. 4. David McKinney, born
October 28, 1852. 5. Henry, born May 14,
1855, died November 19, 1901. 6. Cathar-
ine, born April 2, 1857, died January 19,
1859. 7. John Walter, born February 19,
1859. 8. William Finley, born March 20,
1861. Mrs. Lloyd was born March 19,
1826, and her death occurred February
15, 1863. Mr. Lloyd married (second),
August 23, 1865, Elizabeth, born August
I, 1830, died January 8, 1905, daughter
of Samuel and Maria W. (Finley) Hall,
of Newark, New Jersey. Samuel Hall
was born December 5, 1789, at Basking-
ridge. New Jersey, and his wife, Maria
W. (Finley) Hall, was born at same place
December i, 1801. Children of Henry and
Elizabeth (Hall) Lloyd: i. Maria Finley,
born July 4, 1866. 2. Davison, born July
5, 1868. 3. Finley Hall, born November
7, 1870, of whom a sketch follows.

The death of Mr. Lloyd, which occurred
February 12, 1879, was as sincerely
mourned by high and low of every degree
as ever falls to the lot of man. The true
and unaffected sorrow displayed by his
employees was extremely touching, and
the following extract from the tribute
they placed reverently upon his tomb,
well expressed their feeling: "With bowed
heads and sad hearts, we, the employees
of the Kensington Iron Works, have
gathered to express our deep sorrow for
the loss of one we loved so well. None
knew his worth better, none will feel his
loss more keenly than we. There was no
man in his employ, no matter in what
capacity, but that could approach him as
easily as approaching a child. In the
darkest days of our financial panic our
money was waiting for us every Saturday
afternoon. In the hottest days of summer,
when we were fatigued and almost ex-
hausted from the excessive heat, he would
come among us with a pleasant smile and



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



a cheerful word that would invigorate us
and inspire us to perform our arduous
tasks." The iron manufacturers of the
city, at a special meeting, placed on record
the following: "As a man he was emi-
nently successful ; as a competitor he was
the soul of fairness and honor; and, as
an advisor in the difficulties that have
surrounded our trade, he was safe, judici-
ous and prudent. He was a man, kind,
considerate, courageous, and of sterling
integrity, bountiful charity, and noble
generosity." The various and numerous
charitable institutions, churches, financial
and other institutions with which he was
connected all sent fitting and sincere testi-
monials of their sorrow and his worth.
His sympathy for humanity was broad
and elastic. He had the faculty of seeing
the good in everyone and everything, and
ignoring the evil or the tendency thereto,
and in this manner, he was the salvation
of many a young man who had taken the
first steps on the downward path. His
helping hand was ever outstretched for
the erring or distressed to grasp, and the
return clasp was a warm and lingering
one. His record is one that Pittsburgh
will never forget.



LLOYD, Finley H.,

Prominent Merchant, Representative
Citizen.

Finley Hall Lloyd, president of the
Pittsburgh Dry Goods Company, is one
of the representative business men of the
Iron City. In the political life and the
philanthropic work of his community Mr.
Lloyd has always taken an active part,
and with its fraternal circles and its social
world he is prominently identified.

Finley Hall Lloyd was born Novem-
ber 7, 1870, in Pittsburgh, and is a son
of Henry and Elizabeth (Hall) Lloyd. A
biography of Mr. Lloyd, who is now de-



ceased, together with a portrait precedes
this in the work. He was one of Pitts-
burgh's signal men. a man whose record
will not be forgotten.

Finley Hall Lloyd received his educa-
tion at Shady Side Academy, or rather
his preparatory education, for he subse-
quently entered Princeton University,
graduating with the class of 1892. After
taking his degree Mr. Lloyd returned to
Pittsburgh, having chosen to follow a
business career, and having also decided
that his home city should be the scene of
his activities. In August, 1893, he be-
came a director of the Pittsburgh Dry
Goods Company and, beginning at the
bottom, thoroughly learned the whole
business, becoming familiar with its
every detail. In doing so he gained a
fund of valuable experience, and also
developed those talents for executive and
administrative work and that knowledge
of men and their motives for which he
has since been distinguished among his
contemporaries. The advancement of
such a man was, as a matter of course,
sure and steady. In January, 1902, he
became president of the company, and its
history from that time is sufficient evi-
dence of the ability and faithfulness with
which he has discharged the duties of the
office. The concern is one of the largest
in Pennsylvania, dealing in all kinds of
dry goods and having a reputation second
to none.

In large measure the success of Mr.
Lloyd is explained by his personality.
With great energy and strong mental
endowments he combines a frankness and
cordiality and an unvarying courtesy
which have made him emphatically a man
of many friends, and enlisted the loyalty
of associates and subordinates. In the
annals of Pittsburgh his portrait should
stand beside that of his father.



2408



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



A Republican in politics, Mr. Lloyd,
while ever ready to do his utmost toward
the betterment of conditions, has never
accepted any office with the exception of
that of councilman of Shields, the suburb
in which he resides. He is a thirty-second
degree Mason ; his clubs are the Du-
quesne, Pittsburgh, Allegheny Country
and Pittsburgh Golf; and he also belongs
to the Princeton Club of New York. He
is a member and trustee of the Shields
Presbyterian Church.

Mr. Lloyd married, September 25, 1895,
Sara Scott, daughter of Samuel W. and
Mary (Shaw) Spencer, of Glenshaw,
Pennsylvania, and granddaughter of
Thomas W. Shaw. A full account of the
Shaw family appears in biography of the
late Dr. Thomas W. Shaw, elsewhere in
this work. Mr. Spencer was a business
man and later a coal operator, spending
most of his time in looking after his own
coal interests. Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd are
the parents of two children: i. Elizabeth
Hall, born May 30, 1898; educated at the
Misses Masters' School, Dobbs Ferry,
New York. 2. Finley Hall, born May 14,
1900; educated at St. Paul's School, Con-
cord, New Hampshire, and expects to
enter Princeton University. Mrs. Lloyd,
a woman of culture and charm, belongs
to the Twentieth Century, Allegheny
Country and Pittsburgh Golf clubs, and
is president of the Garden Club of Alle-
gheny County. Both she and her hus-
band are active in social and philanthropic
circles, Mrs. Lloyd being a member of
the board of managers of the Sewickley
Hospital.

Mr. Lloyd is a man of quiet force, the
force that accomplishes large results with
little friction, the force that counts in the
upbuilding, maintenance and true pros-
perity of great cities and important com-
munities.



MORRIS, Frederic S.,

Surgeon, Hospital Official.

The twentieth century has been called
"the Age of the Young Man," and in a
special sense this is true of the med-
ical profession. Its ranks are largely
recruited from men of the younger gen-
eration, and among those who in recent
years have established themselves in
Pittsburgh is Dr. Frederic S. Morris,
whose work as a general surgeon is favor-
ably known.

Frederic S. Morris was born September
5, 1881, in Greensburg, Indiana, and is a
son of George W. and Dorothy (Kam-
merling) Morris. The boy graduated
successively from public and high schools,
and when the time came for him to choose
a profession entered Hahnemann Medical
College, graduating in 1904 with the de-
gree of Doctor of Medicine. After serv-
ing for a time as interne in the Homoeo-
pathic Hospital, Pittsburgh, Dr. Morris
applied himself to a course of post-gradu-
ate work in the Medical School of the
Boston University, and in 1906 began
practice in Pittsburgh. From the first he
devoted himself to general surgery, and
his efforts have been attended with suc-
cess. He is a member of the surgical
staff of the Homoeopathic Hospital.

Among the professional organizations
to which Dr. Morris belongs are the
American Institute of Homoeopathy, the
Pennsylvania State Homoeopathic Medi-
cal Association and the Allegheny County
Homoeopathic Medical Society, also the
East End Doctors' Club. Politically Dr.
Morris is a Republican, but takes no part
in public affairs with the exception of
voting like every other good citizen. He
was formerly enrolled in the University
Club, but withdrew in consequence of
pressure of professional duties. He is a
member of the First Presbyterian Church.

Dr. Morris married, April 6, 1910, Edith,
2409



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



daughter of Sebastian D. Holmes, of
Lyons, New York. Mrs. Morris is a
charming woman of culture and character
and both she and her husband enjoy a
high degree of social popularity. The
mother of Dr. Morris, whose only child he
is, is still living and has been a widow
many years, her husband, who was a
manufacturer of Cincinnati, having died
when their son was quite young.

Thoroughly well read in his profession,
alert, sagacious and in all things keeping
step with the progress of the age, Dr.
Morris looks and is a true type of the
Pittsburgh surgeon of the present day.



REESE, Isaac,

Prominent Fire Brick MannfactnTer.

"Among the business men of Pitts-
burgh, no one has contributed more to the
development of the iron, steel and brick
industries of the Iron City than William
Reese and his three sons," said a promi-
nent iron manufacturer some years ago.

William Reese was born in Brecon,
Southern Wales, in 1787. He was a
cousin of the encyclopaedist. Dr. Abra-
ham Rees, F. R. S., F. L. S., both great
grandsons of the old Welsh clergyman of
the Church of England who held the liv-
ing of Penderyn, in Breconshire. Dr.
Abraham Rees was a Presbyterian min-
ister. He was president of the Presby-
terian Board in London for many years,
and an active member of the most of the
charitable institutions of the metropolis.
In his youth he was mathematical tutor
at Hoxton, when Dr. Kippis was classi-
cal tutor, and later at Hackney with Drs.
Kippis, Price and Priestley. He edited
"Chambers' Encyclopaedia" for ten years
before his own, the "Rees Cyclopaedia,"
the pioneer of "The Brittannica" and
"The Century ;" it contains forty-five vol-
umes, quarto. He presented the address



of the dissenting denominations on the
accession of King George IV, to the
throne of England, and was present at a
similar address to the late King in 1760.
His portrait by Lonsdale is in the Na-
tional Art Gallery, London. His portrait
by Opie was taken from the British
Museum some years ago to Dr. Williams'
private library in Redcross street, London.
He was a great favorite of the Duke of
Sussex, who associated his portrait with
that of Dr. Parr in his principal library at
Kensington Palace. He took his degree
of Doctor of Divinity from Edinburgh
University at the express desire of Dr.
Robertson, the historian. Dr. Abraham
Rees is buried in a vault in Bunhill Fields.
Almost a hundred years after the death of
Dr. Abraham Rees, Dr. Stanley C. Reese,
the son of Abraham Reese, and nephew of
Isaac Reese, took similar honors to his
grandfather's famous cousin. Dr. Stanley
C. Reese is a Doctor of Philosophy of
Princeton University, a charter member
of the Astronomical and Astro-Physical
Society of America, and a fellow of the
American Association for the Advance-
ment of Science. William Reese's cousirv
Sam., when only nineteen years of age,
tutored the sons of English noblemen
in mathematics and natural philosophy.
These men induced Sam. and his brother
John to move their academy from Wales
to England.

William Reese was an iron worker, as
was his father before him, the latter build-
ing the first iron mill on the borders of
France and Germany, and living there
two years to manage it, returning to his
native land. William Reese married, in
Whales, Elizabeth Joseph. He, with his
wife and seven children, crossed the
ocean in the ship "Twin Brothers," which
carried on this trip the first railroad
iron, flat bars, ever brought to the United
States. They landed in Philadelphia in



2410



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



1832. William Reese found employm,ent
first in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, where
he was virtually the pioneer ironworker
of the State. Later he erected a forge in
Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, which
he managed for some time, subsequently
he moved to Bellefonte, Pennsylvania,
where he built the first sand-bottom fur-
nace, as applied to puddling, in the United
States, and where the first "bloom" under
the boiling process was made. He came
to Pittsburgh in 1837, to the Southside,
to the mill now known as the Fifteenth
Street Mill. William Reese remained at
this mill for about five years. Next he
managed for fifteen years the Spang Roll-
ing Mills in Pine Creek, in the vicinity of
Pittsburgh. He then took over the man-
agement of the business of Reese, Graff &
Dull, in which concern his son Jacob was
senior partner. He lived to the remark-
ably advanced age of one hundred and
four years, dying August 4, 1892, at Boli-
var, Pennsylvania. His wife died April
12, 1874, in the seventy-sixth year of her
age, at Apollo, Pennsylvania. William
Reese and his wife were God-fearing
people. In religious faith they were
Baptists, and they established Sabbath
schools and prayer-meetings in every com-
munity they lived in, if they found none
there. With the exception of ten years
spent in farming in the west, William
Reese lived practically the most of his
business life in Pittsburgh, retiring from
active business at the age of seventy-five
years, when the employees of the Fort
Pitt Iron Works presented him with a
beautiful gold-headed cane, bearing the
following inscription: "William Reese,
From the Employees of the Fort Pitt
Iron and Steel Works, 1871 ;" they also
presented his wife with a silver tea-set.

William Reese and his wife were the

parents of ten children, seven of whom

were born in Wales. The children were

as follows: i. Rachel, who remained at

PEN— Vol vii-13 24



home, a faithful and willing assistant to
her parents in their younger and busier
days, and later in their declining years.
2. Isaac, see below. 3. Leah, married
Reese Williams. Left a widow by the
burning of the Sharon mill, where her
husband lost his life, she started a mer-
cantile business in Sharon, Pennsylvania.
At her death so great was her impress
on trade and on the community that at
the time of her funeral all places of busi-
ness in Sharon were closed in respect to
her memory. She left four children :
Elizabeth, Mary, Daniel and Benjamin.
Benjamin died some years ago ; he mar-
ried a Miss Burman, of Waynesburg,
Pennsylvania; his wife and one daughter
survive him. Elizabeth married Malin
Ewing, of Sharon ; they have four sons.
Mary married Samuel Buckwalter, and
lives in Yankton, South Dakota. Daniel
never married. 4. Jacob. 5. Rebecca,
married Oliver Henderson ; husband, wife
and son died many years ago. 6. Abram.
7. Joseph, lost his life at the charge on