John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 7) online

. (page 36 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

adelphia, Baltimore & Washington rail-
road and in the Valley railways. This
does not by any means cover the field of
Mr. Sproul's business operations, but
only the most important, and would seem
to be of sufificient magnitude to employ
the time of even the most energetic man.
But not Mr. Sproul. There is another
field which few business m.en, except
those either retired or directly descended
from statesmen of note, ever enter — the
field of politics. Even before Mr. Sproul
was of age he was an active political
worker and a strong partisan. After be-
coming part owner of "The Times" he
became well known as a rising man, and
coincident with his advent into the busi-
ness world was his entrance into official
political life. In March, 1896, he was
nominated by the Republican convention



for the office of State Senator to succeed
Jesse M. Baker, and was elected the fol-
lowing November by a majority of almost
ten thousand votes. By a strange coinci-
dence Mr. Sproul's great-great-great-
grandfather, Nathaniel Newlin, was the
second Senator from Delaware county,
having been elected in 1794, just one hun-
dred and two years before his descendant
was chosen for the same seat. He was
then just past twenty-five years of age,
the constitutional age limit for Senators,
and for six years was the youngest man
in the State Senate. Notwithstanding his
youth and his pronounced independence,
he was assigned to important committees
and became prominent in connection with
notable legislation. In 1900 he was re-
nominated and elected without serious
opposition. In the session of 1891 he was
strongly opposed to the so-called "ripper"
bills for changing the form of govern-
ment of cities, and, although closely affili-
ated with the regular Republican State
organization, strenuously labored to de-
feat the Pittsburgh "ripper," which was
the political sensation of that session. In
1903 Senator Sproul, after a careful study
of the question of road improvement,
drafted the general plan of State aid in
highway construction, which combined
with some features of a bill introduced by
the late Senator Roberts, of Montgomery
county, was passed during the session of
1903. This bill forms the beginning of
the highway improvement movement that
has converted many of the hitherto infer-
ior roads of Pennsylvania into splendid
modern avenues of travel, and is constant-
ly spreading until the cause of "Good
Roads" has become the most vital and
important of all State improvements. He
has followed up the subject and in 1909
and 1913 fathered the "Sproul Road Bills"
which created the system of State High-
ways. In 1903 Senator Sproul was the



2472



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



unanimous choice of the Republican
members of the Senate for president of
that body and was elected by the party
vote. He was reelected to the Senate in
1904, and, in 1905 was again chosen presi-
dent of the Senate by his party associates.
He is the author of bills calling upon
Congress to consider uniform divorce
laws and of other measures ; also has
served upon several State commissions
and has rendered his State valuable serv-
ice in his efforts in behalf of public char-
ities and philanthropies. Mr. Sproul has
been reelected to the seat in the Senate
in 1908 and 1912, and at this writing, in
1916, is the nominee of his party for a
sixth term, being by far the oldest mem-
ber of the Senate in point of service. The
campaign of 1912 was a memorable one,
Mr. Sproul being opposed by both Demo-
cratic and Progressive nominees. Despite
the Roosevelt landslide of that year he
was successful with a clear majority over
both his opponents combined. In 1916
he represented his district in the Repub-
lican National Convention. In 1913 Sen-
ator Sproul drew the bill providing for
the creation of the Pennsylvania Histor-
ical Commission, and was appointed by
Governor Tener a member of that body.
He has been its chairman ever since its
organization and has been very active in
the work which it has done. He is a
member of the board of managers of
Swarthmore College, his alma mater, and
in 1903 was elected president of the
Alumni Association. In March, 1907, he
presented the college with funds sufficient
to equip the observatory with one of the
largest and most powerful telescopes in
the whole world. In 1912, at the celebra-
tion of the one hundred and twenty-fifth
anniversary of Franklin and Marshall
College, at Lancaster, Senator Sproul was
given the honorary degree of Doctor of

2473



Laws. He is a trustee of the Pennsyl-
vania Training School for Feeble Minded
Children, at Elwyn, and is most liberal in
his private philanthropies. His frater-
nities are the Masonic orders ; the Elks ;
Patrons of Husbandry ; Phi Kappa Psi
and the Book and Key, the two latter
college fraternities. He is also an honor-
ary member of the Phi Beta Kappa Soci-
ety of the University of Pennsylvania.
His clubs are: Union League, the Phil-
adelphia, Corinthian Yacht, Pen and
Pencil, Clover and Bachelors Barge, of
Philadelphia ; Manhattan and India
House, of New York; Penn, of Chester;
Harrisburg ; Rose Tree Fox Hunting and
Springhaven Country, also numerous
political organizations. He is much inter-
ested in the Union League, of Philadel-
phia, and for eight years has been a mem-
ber of the board of directors of that or-
ganization, and for four years a vice-
president. Mr. Sproul is fond of open-air
sport, especially with rod, line and gun.
He is also fond of travel and has travelled
widely for a man whose life has been so
occupied. In religious faith he is a mem-
ber of the Society of Friends. He mar-
ried, January 21, 1892, Emeline, daugh-
ter of John B. Roach, the noted ship-
builder of Chester and his wife, Mary
Caroline Wallace. Children: Dorothy,
who married, October 7, 1914, Henry J.
Klaer, and John Roach Sproul. The fam-
ily residence is "Lapidea Manor," a
historic and beautiful mansion in Nether
Providence, just beyond the Chester city
limits. This place is one of the most
notable in a section filled with imposing
homes. The house contains a famous col-
lection of art objects, an extensive library
and many historic articles which are wide-
ly noted. "Lapidea Manor" comprises
nearly two hundred acres of land, one of
the largest tracts in the lower end of
Delaware county.



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



GARRISON, Abraham,

Manufacturer, Financier.

The industry which gfave to Pittsburgh
the name of the Iron City was developed
by men whose Titanic personalities even
Time itself has failed to obscure. Through
the mists of years we discern with star-
tling distinctness the commanding forms
of these stalwart pioneers — none more
imposing in its simple grandeur than that
of the late Abraham Garrison, head of
the well-known firm of A. Garrison &
Company, owners of the famous old Pitts-
burgh foundry. For nearly seventy years
Mr. Garrison was a resident of the city
whose prestige he did so much to create,
and during that long period he labored
with unswerving loyalty for the upbuild-
ing and maintenance of her best and most
essential interests.

The Garrison family was of English
origin, and in 1686 a branch was trans-
planted to what is now Putnam county.
New York. Garrison's Landing, on the
Hudson, derived its name from this
family and was owned by them for many
generations. Beverly Garrison, great-
grandfather of Abraham Garrison, was
the first to develop the famous Forest of
Dean iron mine in New York State.

Oliver Garrison, grandson of Beverly
Garrison, had property on the Hudson
near West Point, and was the owner and
captain of a sloop which ran between
Albany and New York. He married
Catharine Kingsland, whose ancestors
were among the first English settlers of
New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. Garrison were
the parents of five sons : Abraham, men-
tioned below; Oliver, Daniel R., and
Isaac L., all of whom settled in St. Louis ;
and the late Commodore C. K. Garrison,
of New York City.

Abraham, son of Oliver and Catharine
(Kingsland) Garrison, was born March 4,



1804, near the Hudson river, below New-
burgh, Orange county. New York, and
one of his earliest recollections was that
of being taken in August, 1807, to see
Fulton's first steamboat on her initial
trip to Albany. This was but the first
occasion of the kind with which Mr. Gar-
rison was destined to be identified. In
1831 he was present at the opening of
the first railroad from Albany to Schenec-
tady, and in 1846, soon after Congress
appropriated $25,000 to enable the inven-
tor Morse to construct his line of tele-
graph from Washington to Baltimore Mr.
Garrison, in association with the late
Thomas Bakewell and John Anderson,
was appointed to go to Washington on
public business, and his name and those
of his companions were among the first
transmitted over the new telegraph line,
then regarded as the eighth wonder of the
world.

From the age of fourteen. Mr. Garrison
assisted his father in the navigation of the
sloop "Hudson," of which the latter was
owner and captain. Before his twenty-
first birthday the son had become the
commander of the vessel, but on attaining
his majority he relinquished his position
and engaged in the grocery business in
New York City, but only for one year.
In 1826 he removed to Pittsburgh and
became clerk in the office of Kingsland,
Lightner & Company, then the proprie-
tors of the Jackson and Eagle foundries,
the senior partner of the firm being his
maternal uncle. In 1829, having formed
a resolution to learn the foundry busi-
ness, he entered the service of Howard,
Nott & Company, iron founders of Al-
bany, New York. That he was a man
born to his task the sequel proved. In
1830 he returned to Pittsburgh as fore-
man of the business of Kingsland, Light-
ner & Cuddy, then owners of the Pitts-
burgh foundry. In 1836 he and his late



2474



■7$^^^,M%^




ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



partner, H. L. Bollman, obtained an in-
terest in the business, and in January,
1840, Kingsland & Lightner disposed of
their shares in the Pittsburgh foundry to
the firm of Bollman & Garrison. As an
instance of Mr. Garrison's thoroughness,
accuracy and attention to detail it may be
mentioned that, for at least sixty years,
he kept a record of the price of pig-iron
in the Pittsburgh market and for fifty
years purchased the metal used at the
foundry.

From 1840 to i860 Mr. Garrison be-
stowed on the practical part of the busi-
ness the closest attention and achieved
the distinction of being the first American
whose untiring efforts resulted in the
manufacture of chilled rolls equal in ex-
cellence to those of foreign make. He
drove foreign chilled rolls out of the mar-
ket, and established the chilled roll in-
dustry on a firm footing in the United
States.

The foundry of which Mr. Garrison was
then one of the proprietors was the first
iron foundry in Pittsburgh, and probably
the first west of the Allegheny mountains.
It was built in 1803, and in it were cast
the cannon balls used by General Jackson
on the memorable eighth of January,
1815, also the projectiles shipped to Com-
modore Perry on Lake Erie. To-day this
foundry furnishes chilled rolls to upward
of three hundred and fifty mills in the
United States, from Maine to California
and from Canada to the Gulf States. At
various times, rolls have been sent to
England, France, Belgium, Russia and
Mexico. In 1842 Mr. Garrison first began
to furnish the sheet brass rolls of the
Naugatuck valley, in Connecticut, with
chilled rolls, they having prior to that
time been imported from England.

Throughout Mr. Garrison's business
career, capable management, unfaltering
enterprise and a spirit of justice were well



balanced factors. To his associates he
showed a genial, kindly, humorous side of
his character which made their business
relations most enjoyable, and never did
he fall in to the serious error of regarding
his employes merely as parts of a great
machine, but, on the contrary, recognized
their individuality, making it a rule that
faithful and efficient service should be
promptly rewarded with promotion as
opportunity offered. Born to command,
wise to plan, he was quick in action and
capable of prolonged labor, with the
power of close concentration. To a man
of his stamp, work was happiness. De-
siring success and rejoicing in the benefits
and opportunities which wealth brings,
he was too broad-minded a man to rate it
above its true value, and in all his mam-
moth business undertakings he found that
enjoyment which comes in mastering a
situation — the joy of doing what he under-
took. Capable of managing great com-
mercial and industrial concerns and of
conducting business on terms fair alike to
employer and employed, he was a type of
man whom the world needs.

As a citizen with exalted ideas of good
government and civic virtue, Mr. Garri-
son stood in the front rank, demonstrat-
ing his public spirit by actual achieve-
ments which increased the prosperity and
wealth of the community. Almost to the
close of his life he was president of the
Diamond National Bank, the Safe Deposit
Company and the Birmingham Bridge
Company, and he was also a director in a
number of other institutions. To what-
ever he undertook he gave his whole soul,
allowing none of the many interests in-
trusted to his care to suffer for want of
close and able attention and industry. No
good work done in the name of charity
or religion sought his cooperation in vain
and in his work of this character he
brought to bear the same discrimination



PEN— Vol VII— 17



2475



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



and thoroughness which were manifest in
his business life. He was a member and
one of the founders of St. Andrew's Prot-
estant Episcopal Church.

A man of fine personal appearance, his
strong, resolute, clear-cut face lighted by
keen blue eyes, Mr. Garrison looked the
fearless, aggressive, yet wisely conserva-
tive man of affairs which his whole career
showed him to be. Possessing generous
impulses and a chivalrous sense of honor,
for dissimulation and intrigue he had no
toleration. The old saying, "His word
was as good as his bond," was frequently
quoted as descriptive of his character.
Ardent in his friendships, he was of a
genial and sympathetic nature and few
men have been more sincerely loved and
honored.

Mr. Garrison married, August i, 1830,
Mary, daughter of Samuel Clement, of
Rensselaerville, New York, and of the
children born to them the following
reached maturity : Clementina, widow of
John Howland Ricketson ; Sarah Ellen ;
and Mary Catherine, widow of Walter
Laurie McClintock. Mr. Garrison was
peculiarly happy in his domestic rela-
tions and was essentially a home-lover,
devoted to his family and delighting in
the exercise of hospitality.

On May 10, 1894, Mr. Garrison, having
entered his ninety-first year, passed away,
"full of years and of honors." Long had
he stood before the community as an ex-
ample of every public and private virtue,
and on his removal from the scenes of his
activity he left a record which remains as
an inspiration to those who come after
him.

The story of the life of this great-
brained and large-hearted man is a story
of ninety-one years of noble living. To
the service of his beloved city he gave
nearly threescore years and ten — the tra-
ditional life-time. And with what result?



To this question the Pittsburgh of to-day,
mighty and beautiful, world-famous and
wonderful, a nation rather than a city, is
the all-convincing reply. Most truly can
it be said of Abraham Garrison that his
works follow him.



GRIER, Samuel C,

Man of Affairs,

Some men there are of natures so large
and talents so versatile as to render it
impossible to describe them in a single
sentence, unless it be this — "He was an
all-round man." Such a man was the late
Samuel Campbell Grier, able, aggressive
business man, astute and brilliant politi-
cal leader and widely successful man of
affairs. Mr. Grier was a life-long and
honored resident of Pittsburgh, conspicu-
ously identified with all her best and most
essential interests.

Samuel Campbell Grier was born March
II, 1851, in South Canal street, Pitts-
burgh, and was a son of David A. and
Mary (Aiken) Grier, the former the pro-
prietor of a grocery business in Liberty
avenue. The boy attended the Third
Ward public school of Allegheny City,
and early entered into active business life
in a drygoods store in Lawrenceville. At
the age of fifteen he was clerk in an Alle-
gheny coal office, and had not more than
completed his eighteenth year when he
engaged in the coal business for himself.
Wonderful to tell — and yet not wonderful
when we consider his rare natural endow-
ments — he succeeded, and for ten years
the enterprise prospered.

While still a very young man, Mr.
Grier began to take an active interest in
politics, allying himself with the Republi-
can party. Possessing a high degree of
public spirit and a rapidity of judgment
which enabled him, in the midst of in-
cessant business activity, to give to the



2476




l-:r\L-^Z^^^l^^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



affairs of the community effort and
counsel of genuine value, his penetrating
thought often added wisdom to public
movements. In 1879, however, he aban-
doned business in consequence of his
election to the office of water assessor of
the North Side. It was during his in-
cumbency that he gained his first impor-
tant political victory, one of the most
hotly contested of his whole career.
James Lindsay was a candidate for the
Select Council of Allegheny (now North
Side, Pittsburgh), opposing Hugh Flem-
ing, and so skillfully was the campaign of
the former managed by Mr. Grier that
Lindsay was elected on the third ballot.
In 1885 Mr. Grier resigned the position of
water assessor in order to become chief
clerk in the office of the county clerk of
courts, an office then held by David Mc-
Gonigle. In 1887 Mr. Grier resigned,
having been elected delinquent tax col-
lector of Allegheny. In this position he
served continuously until the latter part
of 1901, when he resigned in favor of his
chief clerk and confidential friend, John
G. Hastings. He then engaged in the
brokerage business in partnership with
his brother-in-law, Chester T. Hoag, and
in April, 1903, he dissolved the connection
and devoted himself to his many other
business interests.

These were, indeed, numerous. He was
president of the Park and Falls Street
Railway Company, of Youngstown, Ohio,
and organized a company of Allegheny
men to purchase the line in Youngstown
and extend it to twelve acres of land on
the outskirts of the city, which land was
then converted into a park and summer
pleasure-ground. Mr. Grier was also
president of the Columbia Plate Glass
Company, of the Consolidated Valley
Water Company of Avalon and Bellevue,
and of the Pittsburgh Vein Coal Com-
pany. He was a director of the Second
National Bank of Allegheny, the National



Fireproofing Company and the Dollar
Savings Fund and Trust Company of
Allegheny. A man of action rather than
words, he demonstrated his public spirit
by actual achievements that advanced the
prosperity and wealth of the community,
giving, to whatever he undertook, his
whole soul and allowing none of the many
interests intrusted to his care to suffer
for want of close and able attention and
industry.

A vigilant and attentive observer of
men and measures, holding sound opin-
ions and taking liberal views, Mr. Grier's
ideas carried weight among those with
whom he discussed public problems. He
was one of the conspicuous Quay leaders
in Allegheny county, constituting, with
John R. Murphy and Robert McAfee, a
triumvirate which was regarded as well-
nigh invincible in the political affairs of
the county. Born to command and wise
to plan, Mr. Grier was preeminently a man
to lean upon — a man upon whom men
leaned. The most signal recognition of
his ability and popularity as a political
leader occurred when Governor William
A. Stone offered him the position of re-
corder of Allegheny county. This honor
Mr. Grier declined.

Both in private and in public life he
was ever unostentatiously ready to aid
the distressed, to watch over the interests
of the poor and to accord to the laborer
his hire. In all concerns relative to the
welfare of Pittsburgh his interest was
deep and sincere, and during the whole
period of his public life he presented an
example of honesty, patriotism, and phil-
anthropy. He was a director of the Ninth
Street Bridge Company and a trustee of
the Allegheny General Hospital. Though
of a strongly marked social nature, he be-
longed to no secret orders. He was a
member of Trinity Protestant Episcopal
Church.

Of fine presence and polished manners,



2477



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Mr. Grier was a man once seen not easily
forgotten. His genial nature and sunny
temperament endeared him to all with
whom he was brought in contact. Pos-
sessing all the essential qualifications of a
wise and successful executant, he was
withal a man of valiant fidelity. Impetu-
ous and persistent, he was also prudent.
Broad in his views, buoyant in disposi-
tion, honest, sincere and self-reliant and
endowed with an inherent genius for
leadership, he won a matchless following
and compelled the unquestioning confi-
dence of men of afifairs. He was a man
of whom it might be truly said that he
was enshrined in the hearts of his fellow-
citizens.

Mr. Grier married, June i8, 1895, Har-
riet, daughter of James and Charlotte
(Turner) Hoag, of Allegheny, and they
were the parents of two daughters : Har-
riet; and Elenor. Mrs. Grier, a thought-
ful, clever woman of culture and char-
acter, takes life with a gentle seriousness
that endears her to those about her. Not
long before his death Mr. Grier built a
handsome residence in the East End, and
he was also the owner of a country home
in Ohio. Devoted in his family relations,
sincere and true in his friendships, his
happiest hours were passed in the home
circle.

Suddenly, in the prime of life and in
full maturity of all his powers, Mr. Grier
passed away January 3, 1904. Well
might Pittsburgh mourn his loss. Her
financial and commercial concerns, her
educational, political, charitable and re-
ligious interests had all profited by his
support and cooperation. Revered by all
for his sterling qualities of manhood, he
irradiated the everwidening circle of his
influence with the brightness of spirit
that expressed the pure gold of character,
and won a place that was all his own in
the hearts of all who knew him.



Among the many tributes from the
press was the following, which appeared
editorially in a Pittsburgh paper: '"The
shockingly sudden death of Samuel Camp-
bell Grier will cause wide-spread mourn-
ing. Mr. Grier's friends are numbered by
the thousand, none of whom had any
warning that his illness might terminate
fatally. Mr. Grier was a high type of the
self-made man."

A self-made man indeed ! And not that
alone. He was one of the "Makers of
Pittsburgh," and Pittsburgh, his native
city, to this day holds his name and
memorv in honor.



WESTINGHOUSE, Henry H.,

Westinghonse Official, Inventor.

Pittsburgh is indebted for her greatness
not only to the men who live within her
boundaries, but also, in large measure, to
others whose brains and inventive genius
reach out from distant cities to build up
and strengthen the colossal industries
which have given her her world-renown.
Prominent among this powerful class of
non-resident Pittsburghers is Henry Her-
man Westinghouse, president of the
Westinghouse Air Brake Company and
an inventor whose genius has added lustre
to an already famous name. Mr. West-
inghouse, while a resident of New York,
is conspicuously and intimately identified
with the most vital interests of the Iron
City.

The Westinghouse family is of German
origin, and was planted in Vermont at
some period prior to the Revolutionary
War. Those bearing this name have
always been characterized by great bodily
vigor, extraordinary mental development
and remarkable moral power That these
qualities have been most strikingly mani-
fested in the later generations of the race
the world can testify.



2478



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



George Westinghouse, father of Henry
Herman Westinghouse, was an inventor,
and in 1856 settled in Schenectady, New
York, where he established the Schenec-
tady Agricultural Works. He married