eBooksRead.com books search new books
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 7) online

. (page 47 of 55)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 7) → online text (page 47 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
ment or institution which makes for the
betterment of conditions. He affiliates
with Fraternal Lodge, No. 483, Free and
Accepted Masons, of Rouseville, Penn-
sylvania, and is a member of the Presby-
terian church. He keeps in touch with
his old student life, belonging to several
college fraternities.

Dr. Moyar is a true type of the phy-
sician of aggressive temperament and
well balanced, and everything about him
— face, voice and manner — indicates the
man of purpose. Geniality is one of his
dominant traits as the number of his
friends bears abundant witness.



On July 23, 1907, Dr. Moyar married
Rowena, daughter of Dr. William C.
Tyler, of Rouseville, Pennsylvania. Mrs.
Moyar, who has a most attractive per-
sonality, is a member of the Women's
Club of Crafton, the suburb in which is
situated the charming home over which
she presides and which is associated in
the minds of many with gracious and
tactful hospitality.

Western Pennsylvanians have long
coupled the name of Moyar with busi-
ness ability of a high order, but it has
remained for Dr. Charles Clinton Moyar
to cause them to identify it with profes-
sional excellence. This he has already
succeeded in doing and his career, thus
far, promises more abundant results in
the time to come.



BARBOUR, John B., Jr.,

stock and Grain Broker.

The prestige of the name of Barbour
has been ably upheld in Pittsburgh by
John Baxter Barbour, Jr., and he has been
an important factor in the business,
financial, athletic and social life of the
city. He is a brilliant, fertile-minded
man, and combines with these qualities
executive ability of a high order.

John Baxter Barbour, Sr., was born
near Belfast, Ireland, September 26, 1836,
son of Joseph and Margaret (Baxter)
Barbour, and came to the United States
when eighteen years of age, at the same
time as his parents. Bright and ener-
getic from his earliest years, he had no
difficulty in finding employment of a
suitable kind. His first position was with
Lyman, Wilmarth & Company, of Pitts-
burgh, which he left in order to accept an
engagement with the Allegheny Valley
Railroad Company. This position he held
until the outbreak of the Civil War,
which made changes throughout the
business world. The oil refining business



2547



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



had begun to be one of great importance
by this time, and after the close of the
war Mr. Barbour formed a connection in
that line with Brewer, Burke & Com-
pany, subsequently engaging in the
same line of industry independently and
very successfully, and continuing in it
until his plant was merged into the
Standard Oil Company. The spotless
character of Mr. Barbour was reflected
by his reputation as a business man, and
he was called upon to fill many important
offices. His connection with the National
Transit Company secured for that cor-
poration a number of rights owing to the
foresight, energy and sound business
judgment of Mr. Barbour. For a number
of years prior to his death, Mr. Barbour
held office as superintendent of the right
of way department of this corporation,
and in this capacity secured the right of
way to the seaboard of the company's
great trunk pipe lines. Strong, decisive
and firm in his convictions, Mr. Barbour
held independent views on political mat-
ters, although he gave his support to
some extent to the principles of the
Democratic party.

In matters concerning religion Mr.
Barbour was as sincere and earnest as in
all the other affairs of life. He gave sub-
stantially both of time and money to the
Sixth Presbyterian Church, in which he
served as trustee for years, and to what
is now the East Liberty Presbyterian
Church, of which he and his wife were
members. His fraternal affiliations were
with Franklin Lodge, No. 22, Free and
Accepted Masons, of which he was a life
member .

Mr. Barbour married, October, 1857,
Isabella Frackelton, daughter of William
and Eliza J. (Dick) McKelvy, of Pitts-
burgh. Mrs. Barbour died February 26,
1888. Children of John Baxter, Sr., and
Isabella F. (McKelvy) Barbour: John
Baxter, Jr., (see below); William Mc-



Kelvy ; Margaret Baxter, married Ernest
K. Barr, of Philadelphia ; Robert Wilson ;
Frederick Prentice ; Isabella Fulton,
married Frederic B. Black, of Franklin,
Pennsylvania.

The death of Mr. Barbour occurred De-
cember 28, 1894. His broad and liberal
views rose above the prejudices of the
hour, and he was earnest and unflinching
in his maintenance of the right. He was
solicitous for the welfare of others, and
exhibited a commendable public spirit
and enterprise.

John Baxter Barbour, Jr., son of the
late John Baxter, Sr., and Isabella F.
(McKelvy) Barbour, was born in Pitts-
burgh, April 16, 1862. He acquired his
education in the public schools of his
native city, and was graduated from its
high school in 1880. He supplemented
this training with a comprehensive course
in stenography, after which in the spring
of 1881 he became bookkeeper for
Thomas J. Watson, at that time the lead-
ing oil broker in Pittsburgh. While the
speculative craze in oil was at its height
during 1882 and after this time, Mr. Bar-
bour was at the head of the office affairs
for Mr. Watson, and it is due to his clear-
headed judgment that important enter-
prises were carried to a successful issue.
Subsequently he formed a connection
with another broker, James S. McKelvy,
with whom he remained until January i,
1890. He then became the local exchange
representative of Rea Brothers & Com-
pany, stock and grain brokers, and upon
their retirement in 1892 Mr. Barbour
succeeded to their business. The busi-
ness was a general one in stocks, bonds
and grain, and Mr. Barbour made a
specialty of local and investment secur-
ities. So pronounced and widely recog-
nized was the business and executive
ability of Mr. Barbour, that he was
honored with election to membership in
the old Oil Exchange when he was but



2548



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



nineteen years of age. and he is now one
of the oldest members of the Pittsburgh
Stock Exchange, of which he was one
of the organizers and a charter member.
He was its first secretary and treasurer
and served one term as vice-president.
Later Mr. Barbour served five successive
terms as treasurer, and after that served
three terms as vice-president and then
became president in 191 1, and later de-
clined reelection on account of ill-health.
He was for several years director and
chairman of the two most important of
its committees, namely, on securities and
law and ofifenses, and on May 3, 1916,
was again elected president. As a rep-
resentative of James S. McKelvy at the
time of the great Penn Bank Syndicate
in 1883-84, Mr. Barbour was a member
of the New York Petroleum Exchange.
As treasurer of the Pittsburgh Petroleum,
Stock and Metal Exchange he served two
terms.

In political matters the dominant per-
sonality of Mr. Barbour has also been
beneficially felt. Until the Blaine cam-
paign of 1884 Mr. Barbour was a staunch
supporter of Democratic principles. At
that time, however, he became convinced
that the country was in better hands
when the Republican party held the
reins, and he transferred his allegiance,
in which he has never wavered, to that
party. He has served as delegate to a
number of conventions. He has been a
school director of the new Eleventh
Ward for several years, and also served
as treasurer of the board. He is also
president of the Republican Association
of his district and a school visitor, and is
the treasurer of the City Republican Ex-
ecutive Committee. He and his wife are
members of the East Liberty Presby-
terian Church. His fraternal affiliations
are numerous, among them being: Dal-
las Lodge, No. 508, Free and Accepted
Masons ; Shiloh Chapter, No. 257, Royal



Arch Masons ; Tancred Commandery,
No. 48, Knights Templar; Syria Temple,
Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine; East End Council, No.
275, Royal Arcanum. He is past archon
in the Improved Order of Heptasophs,
and was a deputy supreme archon. His
club membership is in the Duquesne,
Pittsburgh Athletic Association, Stanton
Heights Golf Club and Americus Repub-
lican clubs. In the latter he has held
offices since 1887, was a trustee from
1889 to 1895, and served in the office of
vice-president, 1895-96-97, and in Janu-
ary, 1916, was elected major of the
Americus Battalion, and member of the
board of trustees. He was a charter
member of the Pittsburgh Athletic Club,
which he was largely instrumental in
organizing in 1883, and has served three
times as president and was manager of
the baseball and football teams. He was
also one of the original directors of the
Pittsburgh Athletic Association, and re-
signed owing to failing health.

Mr. Barbour married, December 22,
1887, Laura B., daughter of James E. and
Sarah (Marshall) Rogers, and they have
had children: Isabella McKelvy, and
Marshall Rogers. Mrs. Barbour is a
charming and amiable woman, and a
companionable helpmate to her husband.

Mr. Barbour is as active in the social
and civic world as he is in the business
and financial worlds. He has been a
director of the Chamber of Commerce of
Pittsburgh for about twelve years, and is
now the first vice-president of that body.
His intelligent grasp of complicated
situations have caused his counsel to be
sought by men his seniors in point of
years, and his quick and decisive methods
have saved many a perilous situation.
In all he is a plain, strong, dependable
man, who has that indefinable something
called personal magnetism that draws
men to him.



2549



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



GLOEKLER, Bernard,

Manufacturer, Fhilanthropiat.

For the space of more than a quarter
of a century few names were more
familiar to a large class of Pittsburghers
than was that of the late Bernard Gloek-
ler, head of the celebrated Bernard
Gloekler Company. Mr. Gloekler was for
the greater portion of his life a resident
of the Iron City, and while he was iden-
tified with many of her leading interests
was associated in a special manner with
various forms of her charities.

Bernard Gloekler was born August 7,
1839, in Hausen, Wurtemberg, Germany,
and received his education in the schools
of his native land. In 1853 he emigrated
to the United States, settling in Pitts-
burgh. In 1874 he purchased the entire
business from John Wagner, who had for
some years engaged in the manufacture
of small butcher tools, sausage stuffers
and meat rockers, such as were used in
those days. Mr. Gloekler's foresight,
thrift and energy brought this machine
and tools to prominent use throughout
the United States. Later on he added
complete meat market equipments, manu-
facturing refrigerators, counters, butcher
blocks, etc., and got out many new and
modern ideas, constructed along sanitary
lines. These have been adopted quite
extensively throughout the country.
Later on he added the manufacture of
special refrigerators for hotels and res-
taurants and the manufacture of special
extra heavy ranges, broilers, steam tables,
vegetable steamers, soup kettles, etc.
There is now practically nothing re-
quired in hotel, restaurant or butcher
shop that is not carried by this company.

In consequence of the rapid increase
of the business it was decided to form a
stock company and incorporate the
concern. In February, 1905, this was
done under the laws of the State of Penn-



sylvania, the style becoming the Bernard
Gloekler Company. This immense busi-
ness was founded and for many years
maintained by the capable management
and unfaltering enterprise of Mr.
Gloekler, in whom were united executive
ability of a high order and an exceptional
capacity for judging the motives and
merits of men. This enabled him to fill
the various branches of his establishment
with assistants who sldom failed to meet
his expectations. To associates and sub-
ordinates alike he endeared himself by
the strict justice and genuine kindliness
which marked all his dealings with them.

In everything pertaining to the welfare
and progress of his home city, Mr. Gloek-
ler was keenly interested, and in the
furtherance of these ends his aid and
influence were never wanting. It is said
of him that in a quiet way he bestowed
nothing less than a fortune on the char-
ities of Pittsburgh, including liberal
assistance to the individual poor. He
was accustomed to remark that he in-
tended to make his gifts during his life-
time in order that he might witness and
enjoy the results they accomplished.

Strong mental endowments and incor-
ruptible integrity were stamped upon Mr.
Gloekler's countenance, and penetrating
thought, together with keen insight,
spoke in the glance of his searching eyes
whifh yet held in their depths the glint
of h' mor. The determined expression of
his strong features was softened by an
aspect of geniality which attracted all
who approached him. Of fine appearance
and cordial manner, dignified but never
repelling, he was ardent in his friend-
ships and few men have been more deeply
respected and sincerely loved.

Mr. Gloekler married, September 25,
1861, Frances M., daughter of John and
Margaret Nees. From this union there
were nine children.

The death of Mr. Gloekler, which



2550




'^^^^9^y€:^^6




Jn^T^Cc^ ^d^<.^iC^tA-tC^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



occurred January 21, 191 1, deprived
Pittsburgh of a talented business man
and a public-spirited and most benevolent
citizen, one whose life was crowned with
merited success — success which was en-
tirely the product of his own natural
forces and sterling honesty.

As a business man and citizen he is
remembered with admiration and esteem,
but it is chiefly as "one who loved his
fellowmen" that his memory is cherished
in the hearts of those who knew him.



SIBBALD, John, M. D.,

Prominent Physician,

Dr. John Sibbald, physician and promi-
nent leading citizen, who died December
29, 191 5, at his home in Fox Chase, was
born July I, 1852, and was the son of Dr.

and Priscilla (Hofifman) Sibbald

The father was from Edinburgh, Scot-
land, and the mother from Canada.

Dr. John Sibbald was educated in the
public school and Jefferson Medical Col-
lege, graduating from the latter institu-
tion with the class of 1875 and began
general practice at North Wales, Penn-
sylvania, where he remained for the
period of two years, when he moved to
Fox Chase, Montgomery county, Penn-
sylvania, and there located permanently,
building up a lucrative practice and
gaining a large circle of friends.

A brother ^practitioner and classmate of
Dr. John Sibbald in commenting on the
loss of his lifelong friend looked back
over the years, and told of how Dr. John
Sibbald despite the handicap of an im-
pediment of speech won for himself
laurels in his profession, and became one
of the leading physicians in that section
of Philadelphia county, and for thirty
years had been one of the leading and
highly respected citizens of Fox Chase,
Pennsylvania. Dr. John Sibbald was a
director in the Fox Chase Bank for many

255



years. He also served as a member of
the City Council, and was common coun-
cilman from the Thirty-fifth Ward. He
was a member of the County and State
Medical associations.

Dr. John Sibbald married, in 1884,
Mary A. Hallowell, daughter of Pember-
ton and Rachel Jarrett Hallowell, repre-
sentatives of prominent families and
natives of Abington, Montgomery county,
Pennsylvania.

Dr. John Sibbald died at his beautiful
home at Fox Chase, Montgomery county,
Pennsylvania, and it is recorded of him
that his strongest asset was his love of
his fellowman ; a practitioner who never
thought of himself when some one was
suffering. Besides his widow Dr. John
Sibbald is survived by an only child,
Agnes Hallowell Sibbald, who graduated
from Swarthmore College.



HILLIARD, Clinton,

Progressive Business Man.

Clinton Hilliard, one of Easton's most
prominent and progressive business men,
was born February 5, 1854. He was the
son of Edward and Sabina (Sandt) Hil-
liard, natives of Northampton county.

Mr. Hilliard attended the public schools
and high school of his native city, gradu-
ating from the latter in the class of '70.
He then entered Lafayette College and
graduated as a civil engineer in 1874. He
then entered Easton Business College,
and after graduation served terms as
bookkeeper for the Drinkhouse Foundry
and the First National Bank of Easton,
leaving the bank to form a partner-
ship in 1880 with the late James R.
Zearfoss, and engaged in the lumber
business, under the firm name of Zear-
foss & Hilliard. In 1903 the business was
incorporated under the name of the Zear-
foss-Hilliard Lumber Company, with J.
R. Zearfoss as president, and Mr. Hilliard



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



as secretary and treasurer. In 1906,
after the death of Mr. Zearfoss, Mr. Hil-
liard became president of the company.
Under his able direction the business
continued to prosper, and the company
was recognized as a stable and progres-
sive one in that section of the State. In
addition to being at the head of a large
lumber concern, Mr. Hilliard was vice-
president of the Seitz Brewing Company,
a director of the First National Bank and
of the Northampton Trust Company, and
secretary and treasurer of the Delaware
Ice Company.

That Mr. Hilliard did not live unto
himself can be evidenced in his service
on the Board of Trade, his interest and
support of various charitable organi-
zations, and his keen interest and de-
velopment of "Beautiful Eddyside," a
choice location on the banks of the
Delaware river, which Mr. Hilliard fitted
up for public bathing, a favorite swim-
ming place for Eastonians. The land
now belongs to the Zearfoss-Hilliard
Lumber Company with a frontage of 1500
feet along the North Delaware river road,
and 1800 feet frontage along the river.
The "Eddyside" soon won a place in the
good opinions held by Eastonians, and
thousands have enjoyed the fruits of Mr.
Hilliard's labors in this direction.

As a Mason, Mr. Hilliard was very
prominent. He was a member of Dallas
Lodge, No. 396, Free and Accepted
Masons; Easton Chapter, No. 173, Royal
Arch Masons ; Pomp Council, No. 20,
Royal and Select Masters ; Commandery
No. 19, Knights Templar ; and had the
honor of being a past officer in each body.
He was also a member of Lula Temple,
Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine, of Philadelphia ; and
Grand Conclave, No. 123, Order of Hep-
tasophs. He was also an active member
of the Pennsylvania Lumbermen's Asso-
ciation, and belonged to the Pomfret



Club, Easton. He was a charter member
of the Sigma Deutoron Chapter of the
Phi Gamma Delta fraternity of Lafay-
ette College, and an active member of
Christ Lutheran Church for many years.
He was a Republican in politics, but
never sought office.

Mr. Hilliard married, in 1882, Miss
Marie Louise Thieleus, daughter of Ed-
ward and Emma (Perrin) Thieleus,
natives of Louvain and Paris respec-
tively. They have two children: i. Clin-
ton T., born 1884, a graduate of Lerch
Preparatory School, Easton, and of
Lafayette College, class of 1904, now
president of the Zearfoss-Hilliard Lum-
ber Company, and has generally assumed
his late father's large interests and re-
sponsibilities. 2. Marie Louise, born No-
vember, 1896, graduated from Dana
Hall.

Air. Hilliard died at his home in
Easton. August 11, 1914, and is survived
bv his widow and two children.



LAW, William A.,

Head of First National Bank.

The First National Bank of Philadel-
phia was not only the first national bank
chartered in Philadelphia ; it was the first
national bank chartered in the United
States. It still holds in its possession
the first authorization from the Treasury
Department to begin business under the
National Currency Act, and it issued the
first national bank note ever issued in
the United States. It was to facilitate
the financial transactions connected with
government operations that the First Na-
tional Bank of Philadelphia was formed.
Indeed, it was in the necessities of the
government at this time that the whole
national bank system had its origin. The
first meeting of the board of directors
was held May 29, 1863, and the original
charter No. i was issued June 20, 1863,



255^




^ ^C^<e''-<^^^^Zc,



yy'-c>^i:^.i^-<_j:>/'



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



four months after the passage of the Na-
tional Currency Act. Three weeks later
the bank opened for business at the
corner of Chestnut and South Third
streets, South Third street at that time
being the "Wall street" of Philadelphia.
The site occupied by the bank at the
corner of Chestnut and South Orianna
streets since 1865 is one of the most his-
toric corners in a city where every foot
of ground is historical. Orianna street
was in ancient times a branch of Dock
creek. William Penn once lived farther
east, near the shores of this creek, and
the great Quaker no doubt propelled his
boat past the spot on which the bank
building now stands. Later Dock creek
was turned into a canal-like sewer, and it
was through this canal that the robbers
came in a boat from the Delaware in
their famous attempt to rob the Bank of
Philadelphia. After Dock creek had been
buried under pavement, the old Franklin
Hotel was erected at the corner of Chest-
nut and Orianna streets, which the First
National selected for its permanent home,
in the center not only of the financial
district of Philadelphia, but of the most
historic square mile of ground in the
United States.

On South Orianna street, formerly
called Franklin Place, Benjamin Frank-
lin lived for many years. George Wash-
ington, when he was President of the
United States, lived only four squares
away from the bank site, in the old
Robert Morris mansion at Sixth and
Market streets ; and at 806 Market street
Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration
of Independence. The first Supreme
Court, the State, the Treasury, and other
departments of the new born republic,
also the first mint, were all near the bank
site. The first bank in the United States
and the first insurance company in
America were established within two



squares of this spot. Independence Hall,
"the cradle of liberty," is but a few hun-
dred feet away, and still nearer is Car-
penter's Hall, where the Continental
Congress met. Within short distances
stand Christ Church, where Washington
had his pew ; the church that shadows
Franklin's grave ; the house in which the
first American flag was made ; the old
Stock Exchange ; the building of the first
bank of the United States ; the Custom
House, and a score or more of sacred
landmarks, make the vicinity of the First
National Bank, the Mecca of American
patriots.

There are national banks larger than
the First National, but none of steadier
and more substantial growth. Chartered
June 20, 1863, with a capital of $150,000,
it now has a capital of $1,500,000, and
aggregate resources of many million dol-
lars. In its little over a half century of
life, six men have presided over its
destinies as executive head. The first
president, O. H. Davis, began and ended
his term in 1863 ; the second, Clarence H.
Clark, served from 1863 until 1873; the
third, George Philler, outranks all the
others in length of service — June 24, 1873,
to January 8, 1904. His successor, Mor-
ton McMichael, Jr., served from January
until March, 1904, being succeeded by J.
Tatnall Lea, who served from April 22,
1904, until May i, 1915, when at his own
request he was relieved from active duty.
On May i, 191 5, the sixth president, Wil-
liam A. Law, assumed the duties of his
high office, a young man according to the
verdict of the calendar, but a veteran in
the banking world, fully equipped for the
management of this veteran financial in-
stitution. Morton McMichael, Jr., served
the bank as cashier from the date of or-
ganization until April 22, 1902. He was
succeeded by Kenton Warne, who on
June 30, 1910, gave way to the present



2553



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



cashier, Thomas W. Andrew, and three
assistant cashiers — Charles H. James,
Freas B. Snyder, and Harry J. Haas.

The career of William A. Law as a
financier has been a remarkable one, and
a record of practical efficiency, broad
vision and honorable achievement char-
acteristically American. His banking life
began a quarter of a century ago with
the organization of a savings bank in a
southern town. After two years as presi-
dent of the savings bank, he organized



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 7) → online text (page 47 of 55)
Using the text of ebook Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 7) by John W. (John Woolf) Jordan active link like:
read the ebook Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 7) is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014