John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 7) online

. (page 5 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

love and adore, yet we believe this friend of the
youth of our valley has brought more happiness
on earth and more joy in Heaven than the
angelic choir. We are reminded of Abon Ben
Adhem, whose name led all the rest because he
served his fellow men.

The Boys' Industrial Association was
organized in 1892, meeting in various
places until 1899, when a building was
constructed on a vacant lot in the rear of
the City Hall by unsolicited contribution.
It costs something over two thousand dol-
lars a year to maintain the work and the
enrollment averages four hundred boys.
A cordial welcome to everyone, working
boys especially, is the spirit of the asso-
ciation. There are light dues for full
members and the Federal Government,
with its president, vice-president and
cabinet is the model for the government
of the association. A savings bank and
a monthly journal are run by the boys
themselves. Among the treasures of the
association are three little volumes that
the boys call the "Swearing Book," the
"Drinking Book," and the "Smoking
Rook," and the names signed in these in
boyish scrawls are eloquent witnesses of
the success of the work. "A Bit of Prac-
tical Christianity" says of the work of
Boys' Industrial Association :

The wife of a business man, a national Con-
gressman for several terms, the mother of five
children, a woman of means whereby to live in
ease and comfort, Mrs. Palmer might have pre-
sented the same reasons that many other women
deem sufficient excuse for lack of service. Be-
cause she did not, because with her own children
occupying responsible positions she did not
deem her responsibility ended because she gave
out of her great heart of love, — for this thou-
sands of boys who have come under her influ-
ence through nearly two decades "rise up and
call her blessed."

Cieneral Palmer was intimately associ-
ated with his wife in the Boys' Industrial



Association from its organization, and
ever showed his continual interest in the
boys of the city by substantial assistance.
Mrs. Palmer is also vice-president of the
Boys' Club Federation of America, her
election being a graceful recognition of
her work in promoting the welfare of the
boys of the Boys' Industrial Association
as well as that of boys not connected with
that organization. Mrs. Palmer has been
equally interested and helpful in all forms
of Christian, educational and philan-
thropic work. She has been vice-presi-
dent and president of the local Women's
Christian Temperance Union, also offi-
cially identified with the county organ-
ization. For many years she has been a
teacher in St. Stephen's Sunday school,
conducting a class numbering one hun-
dred young people. In 191 1 she cele-
brated the golden anniversary of her
wedding day, and two years later was left
to tread life's pathway without the strong
arm upon which she had constantly
leaned for so long. She is a daughter of
George W. and Diama (Bradley) Web-
ster, the latter a daughter of Baird Brad-
ley, and granddaughter of Captain Joseph
Bradley, an officer of the Revolution-
ary army. Baird Bradley married Lucy
Dewey, daughter of Thomas and Anna
(Allen) Dewey, the latter a cousin of Colo-
nel Ethan Allen, of Revolutionary fame,
the former a direct descendant of Simeon
Dewey, who was created a baronet of
Stone Hall, England, in 1629. George W.
Webster, a prominent merchant of Platts-
burg, with large Lake Champlain ship-
ping interests, died there at the age of
fifty-five years, his widow surviving him
to the age of seventy-five years, dying in
Wilkes-Barre at the residence of her
daughter, Mrs. Ellen W. Palmer.

Five children were born to General and
Mrs. Palmer: i. Louise Mary, a graduate
of Wellesley ; married George E. Vin-
cent, LL.D., now president of Minnesota
265



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



State University, son of Bishop John II.
Vincent, of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, founder of the Chautauqua move-
ment. 2. Bradley Webster, a graduate of
Harvard, and a lawyer of international
prominence and distinction. He is a
member of the firm of Storey, Thorndike,
Palmer & Dodge, of Boston, Massachu-
setts, and is engaged principally in the
practice of corporation law. 3. Madeline,
a graduate of Bryn Mawr ; married
Charles M. Bakewell, Ph.D., senior Pro-
fessor of Philosophy, Yale University.
4. Henry Webster, a graduate of Har-
vard, a member of the firm of Stim-
son, Stockton, Livermore & Palmer, of
Boston, Massachusetts, and practices
chiefly in cases bearing upon international
law ; he married Elsa Marie, daughter of
Captain John Wilhelm and Hilda (Ask-
ergren) Lanborg, at Stockholm, Sweden,
August 19, 1907. 5. Ellen Constance, a
woman of literary and musical talent,
educated at Wellesley, and afterward in
vocal music in New York under Madame
Marches!, and in London, England, under
Shakespeare. She married, March 29,
1915, Count Francisco Dandini de Sylva,
of Italy, the marriage being performed in
one of the old churches of Rome under
special dispensation of the Pope, a Cardi-
nal of the Church, an uncle of the Count,
officiating. Immediately after the cere-
mony the Count, responding to his King's
call to the colors, he being an officer in
the Third Regimento Antiglierra de Fort-
essa, in command of batteries, and with
the Contessa, sailed at once for his com-
mand on the island of La Maddalena, off
the coast of Sardinia, in the Mediterra-
nean, a submarine and torpedo boat sta-
tion.

Mrs. Palmer continues her residence in
Wilkes-Barre, deeply ingrossed in her
boys' work. She is a member of St. Ste-
phen's Protestant Episcopal Church, with



which General Palmer was also long con-
nected. He sleeps in Hollenback Ceme-
tery, the flowers that bloom at his grave
not more fragrant than his memory.



WILSON, J. Charles,

Head of Large BnsinesB.

If the principal buildings of a city are
indeed, as has been asserted, indicators of
the wealth and importance of the munici-
pality, Pittsburgh's greatness is beyond
the possibility of dispute, and if by the
size and character of a structure may be
measured partially, at least the resources
and ability of the men who erected it, the
builders of Pittsburgh are second to none
in the world. Among the pioneers of this
very notable class of citizens was the late
Samuel Wilson, of the celebrated firm of
A. & S. Wilson, now the A. & S. Wilson
Company. For more than forty years
Samuel Wilson was a resident of Pitts-
burgh, and during that period was not
only a conspicuous figure in business
circles, but was also closely identified
with the city's best interests. This old
and well-known firm is now represented
by J. Charles Wilson, son of Samuel Wil-
son, and who in this day and generation
is ably upholding the Wilson name.

Samuel Wilson was born March 19,
1825, in County Down, Ireland, son of
Adam and Agnes (Moreland) Wilson.
The boy was educated in his native land
and there grew to manhood, coming in
1850 to the United States and joining his
brothers Alexander and Joseph in Pitts-
burgh. In 1852 they formed the partner-
ship of A. & S. Wilson, a firm which has
ever since, through all the changes of
time, circumstances and reorganization,
maintained and strengthened the com-
manding position to which, in the early
years of its existence, it rapidly attained.
This success was very largely due to the
:66




^•y. £;^S.^-»f4S,i'fV ^^tv AO^




ENXYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



industry and energy, the courage and
fidelity to principle which, throughout his
career, were Samuel Wilson's predomin-
ant characteristics. As a true citizen, Mr.
Wilson willingly gave his influence and
support to the furtherance of all good
measures that conserved the interest of
good government. Politically he was
affiliated with the Republican party. Ever
ready to respond to any deserving call
made upon him, he was quietly but un-
ostentatiously charitable. He was a
member of the Third United Presbyterian
church. Mr. Wilson was one of the early
directors of the Union National Bank,
and continued as director until his death.
He was one of the board of directors of
the Western Pennsylvania Institution for
the Deaf and Dumb. He was a man of
matured judgment, ready to meet every
obligation of life with the confidence and
courage born of conscious personal ability
and an habitual regard for what is right
and best in the sphere of human activities

Mr. Wilson married Eliza, daughter of
Joseph and Agnes (Johnston) Mitchell,
and they became the parents of the fol-
lowing children : J. Charles, see forward ;
Adam, whose biography and protrait
appear elsewhere in this work, since
deceased ; Mary Johnston, died Sep-
tember 13, 1912; Howard Mitchell;
Victor Grant ; Clara Jane ; Emma Eliza ;
Agnes Mitchell ; James Ingram More-
land ; Harry and Oscar.

Mr. Wilson was very domestic in his
tastes, and was never so happy as at his
own fireside. The death of Samuel Wil-
son, which occurred April 13, 1891, de-
prived Pittsburgh of one of her sterling
citizens who in every relation of life had
stood as an upright, honorable man.

Joseph Charles Wilson, son of Samuel
and Eliza (Mitchell) Wilson, was born in
Pittsburgh, October 2, 1857. He received
his education in the old Second Ward
schools, at the Pittsburgh High School,



and at the Western University of Penn-
sylvania, now University of Pittsburgh.
He then learned the carpenter trade under
his father and worked under him for
some years, acquiring all details of the
business. On February 9, 1887, he be-
came a member of the firm of A. & S.
Wilson, and upon the death of his father
in 1891, Mr. Wilson, together with his
brother, the late Adam Wilson, took over
the business ; and in 1902 incorporated as
A. & S. Wilson Company and it thus con-
tinued until the death of Adam Wilson, in
1912, since which time J. Charles Wilson
has been president of the company.

A man who does not allow his business
to absorb his entire time, Mr. Wilson is
active in philanthropic circles, and is
president of the Western Pennsylvania
Institute for the Deaf and Dumb, suc-
ceeding the late John B. Jackson in this
office ; he is also a director of the Pitts-
burgh Free Dispensary. Politically he is
a Republican, but has never accepted
office. At various times he has been a
member of numerous clubs, but has now
withdrawn from club life entirely.

Mr. Wilson married, April 8, 1891, Miss
Nellie Blanche, daughter of Adam R. and
Alice (Read) Allen, of Pittsburgh, and
they have had children : i. Pauline Eliza-
beth, educated in Pittsburgh schools and
graduate of St. Margaret's School. 2.
Joseph Charles, junior, born June 20,
1893; educated in Pittsburgh schools, at
Carnegie Technical Institute, now with
the Fidelity Title & Trust Company of
Pittsburgh. 3. Lawrence Allen, born
July, 1895, educated in Pittsburgh schools
and at Chamberlain Military Academy,
New York, now attending Carnegie Tech-
nical Institute. 4. Maitland Alexander,
born November 28, 1900.

Personally Mr. Wilson is affable and
hearty in manner, combining marked
kindness of nature with a business
promptness and decision which enable



2267



ENCYCLOPEDIA

him to transact business with rapidity
and without apparent fatigue. He has
gained a success in hfe that is not meas-
ured by linancial prosperity alone, but is
gauged by the kindly amenities and con-
genial associations that go to satisfy
man's kaleidoscopic nature.



WERDER, Xavier O., M.D.,

Professional Instructor and Author.

Among those benefactors of mankind
whose talents are used for the relief and
uplifting of humanity there is no larger
class than that formed by the votaries of
the noble profession of medicine, and
prominent among the Pittsburgh physi-
cians who today uphold the renown of
their calling is Dr. Xavier Oswald Wer-
der, Gynaecologist to the Mercy Hospital
and Professor of Gynaecology in the
West Pennsylvania Medical School. Dr.
Werder has been for thirty-five years a
resident of Pittsburgh, and is thoroughly
identified with her leading and most es-
sential interests.

Xavier Oswald Werder was born De-
cember 4, 1857, in Cham, Canton Zug,
Switzerland, and is a son of Oswald and
Barbara (Felder) Werder also natives of
that country and the parents of three
other children: Joseph, Marie and Thom-
as. Xavier Oswald Werder received his
early education in schools of his native
land and at the Einsiedeln Gymnasium,
and in 1873 emigrated to the United
State. In September of that year he en-
tered St. Vincent's College, Beatty, Penn-
sylvania. Having decided to devote him-
self to the profession of medicine, he ma-
triculated at the University of Maryland,
Baltimore, where he spent the year of
1877-78. From May to September of the
latter year he did undergraduate work in
St. Francis' Hospital, Pittsburgh, and
then entered the New York University,
graduating in 1879 with the degree of



OF BIOGRAPHY

Doctor of Medicine. Without delay Dr. I
Werder returned to Pittsburgh and began
general practice in the West End. Alter
gaining three years' experience he went
in 1882 to Europe, studying at the Uni-
versity of Munich and in Vienna, Berlin
and London. In May, 1884, he returned
to the United States and to Pittsburgh,
resuming practice in the West End. The
same year he was appointed physician to
St. Francis' Hospital, a position which he
retained for three years, resigning at the
end of that time by reason of the growth
of his practice. About this time Dr. Wer-
der established the "Pittsburgh Medical
Review," being assisted by Drs. Buchan-
an, Shaw, Hazzard, J. J. Green, Matson
and Petit. With this publication, of
which he had been the originator, Dr.
Werder remained connected for a number
of years.

In 1887 Dr. Werder began to specialize
on the diseases of women, and in 1889
was appointed assistant gynaecologist to
the Mercy Hospital, subsequently suc-
ceeding to his present position of chief of
the department. Since 1895 he has been
Professor of Gynaecology in the West
Pennsylvania Medical School, now the
Medical Department of the University of
Pittsburgh. He is one of the charter
members of the American Association
of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, for
twenty-five years served as its treasurer,
and in 1912 became its president. He is
a fellow of the American College of Sur-
geons, and belongs to the American
Medical Association, the State and Na-
tional Medical associations, and Alle-
gheny County Medical Society, of which
he was at one time president. The follow-
ing articles and contributions are from
the pen of Dr. Werder

A Case of Didelphic Uterus with Lateral
Hematocolpus, Hematometra and Hematosal-
pinx. Journal of the American Medical Asso-
ciation, August II, 1894.
!68



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Abdominal Section in Ectopic Gestation where
the Foetus is Living and Viable, with Report of
Successful Case. Transactions of the Associa-
tion of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, 1894.

Interesting Cases of Intestinal Resection with
End-to-End Anastomosis by Means of the Mur-
phy Button. Pennsylvania Medical Journal,
September, 1897.

Tonic and Spasmodic Intestinal Contraction
with Report of Cases. Annals of Gynaecology
arid Pediatry, Boston, 1897.

Some Clinical Observations Based Upon 116
Abdominal Sections for Ovarian Tumors. Amer-
ican Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of
Women and Children. Vol. XXXVIII— No. 5.
1898.

Appendicitis Complicating Ovarian Cyst and
Simulating Torsion of the Pedicle, with Report
of Three Cases. American Medical Association
Journal, January, 1898.

A Clinical Contribution to the Treatment of
Malignant Tumors of the Ovary. American
Gynaecological and Obstetrical Journal, April,
1899.

Two Cases of Dystocia Following Ventrofixa-
tion, One Requiring Caesarean Section. Ameri-
can Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of
Women and Children, Vol. XL — No. 5. 1899.

A Contribution to Uretral Surgery, with Four
Cases, Including a New Operation for Double
Uretro-Vaginal Fistula. Journal of the Ameri-
can Medical Association, August 16, 1902.

The Byrne Operation and Its Application in
the Radical Treatment of Cancer of the Uterus.
American Journal of Obstetrics, Vol. LII — No.

s- 1905-

A Consideration of the Factors which have
Lowered the Operative Mortality and have Im-
proved the Post Operative. American Journal
of Obstetrics, Vol. LIV — No. 15. 1906.

Ectopic Gestation with Viable Child, with
Report of Three Cases. American Journal of
Obstetrics, Vol. LVIII— No. 5. 1908.

Case of Caesarean Section in which the Uterus
was Incarcerated in a Ventral Hernia. South-
ern Medical Journal, March, 1909.

The Diagnosis and Treatment of Cancer of
the Uterus. New York Medical Journal, July
30, 1 910.

Treatment of the Retroflexed Gravid Uterus,
with Report of Two Cases. American Journal
of Obstetrics and Diseases of Children, Vol.
LXIII— No. 2. 1911.

Some Practical Considerations in the Treat-
ment of Backward Displacements of the Uterus.
Pennsylvania Medical Journal, March, 1912.



President's Address Before the American As-
sociation of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of
Children, Vol. LXVI— No. 6. 1912.

The Cautery in the Radical Treatment of Can-
cer of the Cervix. Surgery, Gynaecology and
Obstetrics, March, 1913.

The Byrne Method of Treatment of Carci-
noma of the Uterus; — in Gynaecology and Ab-
dominal Surgery, Kelly-Noble. 1907. Vol. I.

As co-editor of Bovee's "Gynaecology"
Dr. Werder has contributed chapters on
"Technique of Abdominal Operations ;"
"Gynaecolofical Examinations ;" and "Ex-
tra-Uterine Pregnancy." Among writers
on medical subjects Dr. Werder holds a
high rank and few are oftener quoted by
their fellows in the profession than he.

In all concerns relative to the welfare
of his home city, Dr. Werder takes a keen
and active interest. He is the owner of
much real estate and in its development
as well as in various other ways has done
much for the improvement of Pitts-
burgh. In politics he is a Democrat, with
independent tendencies. A liberal giver
to charity, his benefactions are bestowed
with an entire lack of ostentation. He
belongs to the University Club and is a
member of Sts. Peter and Paul's Roman
Catholic Church.

The predominant expression of Dr.
Werder's countenance is one of calmness,
confidence and courage, a union of traits
born of conscious ability and rectitude.
His brown eyes have the keen glance of
the trained observer and his features,
strong and yet sensitive, indicate a cul-
tured and vigorous mentality. His ap-
pearance is distinguished and his manner
quiet, genial and dignified. Both in and
out of his profession the number of his
friends is legion.

Dr. Werder married, October 20, 1885,
Tillie C, daughter of Joseph and Mar-
garet (May) Vogel, the former a promi-
nent dry goods merchant and a director
of the German National Bank of Pitts-



PA— Vol VII— 3



2269



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



burgh. Dr. and Airs. W'erder are the par-
ents of the following children : Marie,
wife of C. E. Roecker. of Pittsburgh ;
Herman, married JMildred McClellan, of
New Florence, Pennsylvania ; Oswald E. ;
Coleta; Marguerite; Gerard; Raymond;
Vincent; and Mildred. Mrs. Werder, a
woman of charming personality and ad-
mirably fitted by mental endowments,
thorough education and innate grace and
refinement for her position as one of the
potent factors of Pittsburgh society, is
withal an accomplished home-maker and
an ideal helpmate for a man like her hus-
band whose domestic affections are the
governing motive of his life. Dr. Werder
is an ardent lover of Nature and when at
his charming summer home in New Flor-
ence, Pennsylvania, loves to take long
tramps in the woods.

Dr. Werder has won distinction not
only as a skillful practitioner but also as
the author of valuable contributions to
the literature of his profession. Although
he is now but in the prime of life his
record shows achievements covering a
period exceeding a quarter of a century
and everything indicates that its most
brilliant chapters yet remain to be
written.



ELTERICH, Theodore J., M.D.,

Specialist, Instructor, Author.

The body of Pittsburgh physicians em-
braces many nationalities, including one
which has accomplished much not only
for the city, but also for the state — the
valiant and cultured Germanic. Among
the city's prominent physicians of this
race must be numbered Dr. Theodore J.
Elterich, former Professor of Pediatrics
in the University of Pittsburgh. Dr.
Elterich is well known not only as a suc-
cessful practitioner, but also as a valued
contributor to the literature of his profes-
sion.



William L. Elterich, father of Theodore
J. Elterich, was born May i8, 1840, in
Noerdlingen, Bavaria, Germany, and be-
came a clergyman of the Dutch Reformed
church in Switzerland. In August, 1869,
he emigrated to the United States and ac-
cepted a pastorate at Callicoon, Sullivan
county, New York, afterward having
charges at Bayonne, New Jersey ; North
Side, Pittsburgh ; and Washington, Dis-
trict of Columbia. In the last-named city
he studied law. and practiced that profes-
sion during the remainder of his life. He
was a Republican in politics. Mr. Elte-
rich married, Elizabeth Vogel, of Switzer-
land, and their children were : William
Otto, Presbyterian missionary in China,
married Anna Berger, of Allegheny,
Pennsylvania, and has children — Wilfred,
Helen, Harold and Paul; Theodore J.,
mentioned below, and Elsie Charlotte, of
Pittsburgh. Mrs. Elterich passed away
February g, 1877, at Bayonne, New Jersey,
and the death of Mr. Elterich occurred
July 30, 1905, in Washington, District of
Columbia.

Theodore J., son of William L. and
Elizabeth (Vogel) Elterich, was born
April 5, 1867, at Thayingen, canton Schaff-
hausen, Switzerland, and was two years
old when brought by his parents to the
United States. His education was receiv-
ed in public schools of New Jersey and
private schools of Pittsburgh, and after
making choice of a profession he entered
the Medical Department of the Univer-
sity of Pittsburgh, graduating in 1889
with the degree of Doctor of Medicine.

After serving for one year as interne at
the Western Pennsylvania Hospital Dr.
Elterich practised for three years as as-
sistant to Dr. H. W. Hechelman, and in
1893 went abroad, entering the University
of Vienna and devoting himself to the
study of diseases of children. In 1894 he
returned to Pittsburgh and began practice
in Allegheny, now the North Side, as



2270



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



children's specialist, removing in 1905 to
the East End, where he has since remain-
ed. The reputation he has achieved in his
chosen field of labor is deservedly high
and he is in possession of an extensive
clientele. He is pediatrist on the staff of
the Allegheny General Hospital, and from
icSgS to 1913 filled the chair of pediatrics
in the University of Pittsburgh, succeed-
ing the late Dr. Charles Shaw.

Despite the engrossing nature of his
work as a practitioner, Dr. Elterich has
found time for literary work in connec-
tion with it. In 1907 he assisted in the
translation from the German of Pfaundler
and Schlossman on diseases of children,
and among the articles which he has con-
tributed to medical journals are the fol-
lowing which have attracted considerable
attention: "Difficult Dentition;" "Infan-
tile Scurvy;" "Pyuria;" and "Mal-Nutri-
tionand Infant Feeding." He is a member
of the Pittsburgh Academy of Medicine,
and in 1905 was its president ; the Ameri-
can Medical Association ; the Pennsylva-
nia State Medical Association ; and the
Allegheny County Medical Society, hav-
ing served in 1904 on its board of censors.
He also belongs to the Western Pennsyl-
vania Pediatric Society, an association of
American teachers of children. He has
also been elected a Fellow of the Ameri-
can Academy of Medicine. In politics Dr.
Elterich is an Independent Republican,
taking a public-spirited interest in the
welfare of his home city. His clubs are
the University, German and Automobile ;
and he is a member of the Evangelical
church. In temperament, intellect and
disposition Dr. Elterich is a true type of
the learned, skillful and benevolent physi-
cian whom all Pittsburgh has long known
him to be. Is it possible to say more?

Dr. Elterich married, April 30, 1896,
Lena, daughter of Ernst and Ottilia
(Mueller) Wetzell, of Mount Oliver,
Pennsylvania, and they are they parents