John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 7) online

. (page 51 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

undoubtedly as one of the ablest players
of the century. He was the composer of
about one hundred chess problems of
high order, and in each of four tourna-
ments in which he entered his composi-
tions he was awarded a prize, capturing



2573



ENCYCLOrRDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



first prize in both the "Southern Field
Gazette" and the "Brooklyn Chronicle"
tournaments, and, respectively, the first
and fourth prizes in the "Chicago Mirror
of American Sports" and the "Tenownie
News" tournaments. Among the noted
solvers whom Captain Kaiser met and
defeated may be mentioned Professor
Berger, of Austria; B. G. Laws, C. Plank
and James Raynor, of England ; C. Kock-
elhorn, of Germany ; Joseph Ney Babson,
C. D. P. Hamilton. Samuel Lloyd, C. W.
Phillips, George E. Carpenter and W.
Steinitz, of America. He contested in
five great solving tournaments, the sec-
ond, third and fifth, with international
entries, with this result: In 1885, "Chi-
cago Mirror of American Sports," eighty
entries, tied for third place ; in 1886, "Chi-
cago jNIirror of American Sports," one
hundred and nine entries, tied for fourth
place; 1888, "Baltimore Sunday News,"
first prize ; 1889, "Sunny South," Atlanta,
Georgia, first prize ; 1907, Lasker's Inter-
national Solving Tournament, forty-five
entries, first prize.

In the Rice Gambit Correspondence
Tournament, with over two hundred
entries, Captain Kaiser obtained first
place in each of the preliminary rounds,
while in the Continental Correspondence
Tournament, in which seventy of the
leading players of this country and Can-
ada competed, he finished ninth in the
final round. Probably his best over-the-
board chess was played in a series of
games from 1880 to 1885 with Captain O.
E. Michelis, who ranked as the strongest
player in the United States army. While
there was no actual match between those
two players, yet the series was a test be-
tween the ablest players in the United
States navy and the United States army.
Captain Kaiser winning the series by a
fair majority.

He was a member of the Franklin Chess
Club from the date of its incorporation

25



over thirty years ago, and served many
times on its board of directors. He be-
longed to the Military Order of the Loyal
Legion, was held in high esteem by his
comrades and greatly beloved by all who
knew him intimately. He was also a
member of the Union League, and the
Military Order of Foreign Wars, and the
United Service Club. He was a member
of the Episcopal church, for twenty-five
years vestryman of the House of Prayer
of Branchtown.

Captain Kaiser married Miss Emma L.
Bringhurst, daughter of Rev. George
Bringhurst, rector of House of Prayer,
Branchtown, who survives him with one
son : George Bringhurst Kaiser, a botan-
ist, and secretary of the Botanical Society
of the University of Pennsylvania. He
lectures on botanical subjects and in 1914
he took a tramp of 858 miles through the
country studying nature.



LEUF, A. H. P., M. D.,

Physician, Educator, Author.

Dr. A. H. P. Leuf, prominent medical
practitioner, educator and author, of
Philadelphia, was born May 2, 1861, in
Brooklyn, New York, son of John and
Gertrude (Gnad) Leuf. He was educated
in a parochial school and the evening
high school of his native city, and in the
year 1878 entered Long Island College
Hospital, Brooklyn, from which he gradu-
ated, June 14, 1881. He immediately
entered into general practice in Brooklyn,
where he at once launched out upon his
busy and interesting career, becoming
identified with the various medical soci-
eties, and serving in various capacities
in well known hospitals in Brooklyn,
New York.

Dr. Leuf was Assistant Demonstrator

of Anatomy in Long Island College Hos-

jjital, where he also lectured and assisted

in the clinic on nervous and mental

74



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



diseases. He was the organizer of the
Ki Phi Delta fraternity, which is still in
existence ; served as acting coroner's
physician from 1882 to 1885 inclusive;
and as pathologist to St. Mary's General
Hospital and St. Mary's Special Hospital,
and the Hospital for Nervous and Mental
Diseases ; visiting physician to Kings
County Lunatic Asylum, and St. Mary's
Upper and Lower Hospitals, department
of nervous and mental diseases, and dis-
pensary physician, department of nervous
and mental diseases, Long Island College
Hospital. He instituted a summer course
at college before graduation, in which he
lectured on anatomy, and subsequently
became Assistant Demonstrator on Anat-
omy. He was secretary of the Brooklyn
Pathological Society and editor of its
"Transactions." He organized the Asso-
ciation of American Anatomists, and in
this organization his was the spirit that
brought together the various prominent
anatomists who met first for this purpose
at his call at the Medical Department of
Georgetown University at Washington,
D. C, in the fall of 1888. Dr. Leuf acted
as chairman and called the meeting to
order and explained the object and pur-
pose of the proposed organization, and at
the same time proposed Dr. Harrison
Allen as chairman. When a regular
organization was effected, Dr. Joseph
Leidy was elected president, and Dr. Leuf
was elected secretary and treasurer. The
by-laws submitted by him were adopted
verbatim. At this meeting Dr. Leuf read
a paper on the brain.

Dr. Leuf served as general surgeon and
later surgeon-in-chief of the Women's
and Children's Hospital, Brooklyn, and
was surgical editor of the "American
Medical Digest." He was gynecologist
and later surgeon at the Southern Hos-
pital and Dispensary, Brooklyn. He was
also a member of the Kings County
Medical Society and of the New York



Neurological Society, and taught in the
New York Polyclinic in its department of
nervous and mental diseases in associ-
ation with Dr. Landon Carter Grey.

In the fall of 1886, Dr. Leuf moved to
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which has
become his adopted city and the center
of his professional, literary, political and
social activities. He has served as a
director of physical education at the
University of Pennsylvania and at
Swarthmore College, and was associated
with Dr. Charles K. Mills in the depart-
ment of nervous and mental diseases in
the Philadelphia Polyclinic. He was
Demonstrator of Anatomy at the Penn-
sylvania School of Anatomy. He was
also the physical director of the Third
Regiment, National Guard of Pennsyl-
vania. Among the many organizations
of which Dr. Leuf is or was a member,
the following are probably the most im-
portant : Kings County Medical Society ;
Brooklyn Pathological Society ; Brooklyn
Medical Club ; the Galen Club ; Nassau
Athletic Club; Ki Phi Delta fraternity;
organizer and first president of the Phy-
sical Education Society of Pennsylvania ;
former member of American Academy of
Political and Social Science ; the Brook-
lyn Young Republican Club ; District
Master Workman, D. A. I., Knights of
Labor ; First Nationalist Club of Penn-
sylvania ; supreme president of the Bene-
ficial Loan fraternity ; president of Sten-
ton Building and Loan Association ;
president of the Stenton Athletic Club,
having been reelected for ten consecutive
years, and this continued confidence on
the part of the Stentonites is a fine tribute
to Dr. Leuf, who has, perhaps more than
any one else, helped the club maintain a
healthy, social and prosperous era ; mem-
ber of the Pennsylvania State Sports-
men's Association ; Phoenix Lodge, No.
130, Free and Accepted Masons; Temple
Chapter, No. 248, Royal Arch Masons ;



2575



EXXYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Philadelphia Young Men's Christian
Association ; Philadelphia Turngenieinde ;
Knights of St. John and Malta, and
Patriotic Order Sons of America.

As an author and writer. Dr. Leuf
has a fertile mind and prolific pen. He
is the author of "Hygiene for Base Ball
Players," being a brief consideration of
the body as a mechanism, the art and
science of curve pitching, a discussion of
the causes of the special diseases and
treatment of players, with a few prac-
tical hints to club managers ; published
in book form by A. J. Reach & Company,
Philadelphia, 1888. This work has been
nationally endorsed as probably the most
valuable contribution to the literature of
the national game yet published. Dr.
Leuf is also the author of the following:
"The Spinal Nerves," with a large
diagram and six charts, published by F.
B. O'Connor, Brooklyn, New York, 1881 ;
"Practical First Principles," published
by the Medical Council, Philadelphia ;
"Gynecology, Obstetrics and the Meno-
pause," ibid; also more than two hundred
articles, scientific and economic, among
them "Accessory Foranima," 1881 ; "The
Treatment of Scarlatina," "Elbow Joint
Fractures," "A Peculiar Form of Pul-
monary Congestion and a Plea for Aspir-
ation of the Heart," "Surgical Eradication
of Syphilis," "On the Pathology of Sur-
gical Infection and the Value of Anti-
sepsis," "Immunity in Disease," "The
Stomach," "Base Ball Pitcher's Arm,"
"Exercise in the Treatment and Cure of
Deformities," "Remvoal of the Spinal
Cord," "Domestic Medicine Series,"
"Some Obstetric Cases," "Physical Edu-
cation of Children," "Letters of Philos,"
"Proven Methods of Anatomy," read by
request before anatomy section. Inter-
national Medical Congress, Washington,
D. C, 18S8, "Trusts and Combines,"
"Open Letter to United States Strike

2



Commission," September, 1894, "Facts
Concerning Insurance," "Rheumatism,"
"Injuries to Bone and Tendon attach-
ments without Local Tenderness," "An-
atomical Anamolies," numerous novels
and photoplays under a pseudonym, and
"A Scientific System of Music."

At the present writing Dr. Leuf is the
author of "Letters of Doctor Leonidas
Playfair," appearing monthly in the
"American Journal of Clinical Medicine,"
subsequently to appear in book form.
Dr. Leuf is an Independent in politics.
He was the organizer of the People's
party in Philadelphia, and was nominated
for sheriff. He was president of the
People's Party Club of Philadelphia, and
county chairman of the party. He was
also national delegate to the convention
of the People's party at Cincinnati that
nominated Wharton Barber for the presi-
dency. He also fought against the "Hog
Combine" in Philadelphia, was president
of the Twenty-eighth Ward Municipal
League Association, and an active mem-
ber of the later City party.

Dr. Leuf married Jennie W. Hall, of
Cape May, New Jersey, descended from
the Hughes and Edmonds, with a remote
ancestry entitling her to membership in
the Colonial Dames and the Daughters
of the Revolution. On his father's side
Dr. Leuf is descended directly from the
French Marshall Le Boeuf, of which
name Leuf is a contraction. His father's
mother was a Marmont, and directly de-
scended from the Napoleonic marshal of
that name. Children of Dr. and Mrs.
Leuf: Edith Gray, born in Brooklyn,
August 8, 1881, now Mrs. C. V. Everett:
Grace Hall, born July i, 1889, educated
in the public schools and Temple Col-
lege, now the wife of Dr. Arthur F. Wil-
helm, of Raubsville, Pennsylvania, and
they have one child, Dorothy Jane, born
July 21, 1913; Ralph Rea, born July 27,
576



ENXYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



1892, was graduated from, the public
schools and Central Manual Training
High School of Philadelphia, and in two
winter courses on scientific farming at
State College of Pennsylvania, and a sum-
mer course of the same at Cornell Uni-
versity.



BEEBER, Dimner,

Iiaxryer, Financier.

Whether considered as a lawyer, jurist,
business man, or scholar, Mr. Beeber
must be known as a man of high attain-
ment and honorable achievement. A
Philadelphian by adoption, he has for
many years been a prominent member of
the city bar, returning to private practice
after a short term on the Superior Court
bench. As president of the Common-
wealth Title, Insurance and Trust Com-
pany, and a director of other financial
institutions, he has gained in the busi-
ness world a standing coinciding with his
legal reputation. His learning and at-
tainment have brought him the honorary
degree of Doctor of Laws, conferred by
the Pennsylvania College, Princeton
University conferring that of Master of
Arts.

Judge Dimner Beeber is a descendant
of Valentin Bieber, who came from Ger-
many on the ship "Betsy," landing in
Philadelphia, October 16, 1768, with his
three sons, all settling in Maxatawney,
Bucks county, Pennsylvania.

John (Johannes), youngest son of
Valentin Bieber, was a Revolutionary
soldier, and with war pay warrants pur-
chased lands on Muncy creek, in Lycom-
ing county. He married Mary J. Dimner.

Colonel Jacob Beeber, eldest son of
John and Mary J. (Dimner) Beeber,
changed the spelling of the name to
Beeber, which form continues in this
branch. He settled on a farm near
Aluncy and there resided until his death



in 1863. His rank of colonel was derived
in militia service, his having been a con-
spicuous figure at the annual "muster
days." He was a strong Democrat, and
like his father and grandfather was a
Lutheran in religious faith. He married
(first) Mary Dimm, (second) Elizabeth,
sister of his first wife.

Teter Dimm, eldest son of Colonel
Jacob Beeber and his first wife, Mary
Dimm, was born on the Lycoming county
farm near Muncy in 1815, died in 1876.
He followed farming in early life, learned
the blacksmith's trade, and in later life
was a retail coal merchant of Muncy, his
home. He and his brother John aided
in establishing the Lutheran church in
Muncy, and were the first in the town to
ardently declare for temperance. He
affiliated with the Republican party dur-
ing his last twenty years, was a loyal
supporter of the Union cause, and served
Lycoming county as commissioner. He
married, in 1841, Mary Jane Artley, born
in 1818, died in 1869, daughter of John
and Christiana Artley, of Muncy town-
ship. Children : John Artley, an honored
member of the Lycoming county bar ;
Thomas Rissell, a leading divine of the
Presbyterian church ; Dimner, of further
mention.

Dimner, youngest son of Teter D. and
Mary Jane (Artley) Beeber, was born in
Muncy, Lycoming county, Pennsyl-
vania, March 8, 1854. After preparation
in the public schools and at Selinsgrove
Academy, he entered Pennsylvania Col-
lege, Gettysburg, whence he was gradu-
ated Bachelor of Arts, class of 1874. Fol-
lowing in the footsteps of his honored
elder brother in choosing a profession,
after thorough study he was admitted to
the Philadelphia bar in September, 1876.
His career as a lawyer has been marked
by many important events and he has
appeared in numerous of the celebrated
cases tried in Pennsylvania State and



2577



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Federal courts. After locating in Phil-
adelphia he became a member of the law
firm of Jones, Carson & Beeber, his part-
ners being J. Levering Jones and Hamp-
ton L. Carson, acknowledged leaders of
the Pennsylvania bar. Mr. Beeber was
commissioned judge of the Superior
Court of Pennsylvania, January 2, 1899,
filling that high position until the first
Monday of January, 1900. In 1910
Judge Beeber was appointed a member
of the Philadelphia Board of Education,
but with the exception of that appoint-
ment and his service on the Superior
Court bench, his time has been wholly
devoted to his private business and his
profession. His business interests are
with financial institutions of the city and
are important. He is president of the
Commonwealth Title, Insurance and
Trust Company ; and a director of the
Fire Association of Philadelphia, and of
the Tradesmen's National Bank. He is
a member of the American and Pennsyl-
vania State Bar associations, his clubs
being the Union League, the Philadel-
phia Country, the Rittenhouse, the Penn
Club and the City Club.

A Republican in politics. Judge
Beeber has in the past freely given his
full platform ability to the service of the
party, and is a well known, able and
popular campaign orator. During the
years 1906-1908 he was president of the
Union League of Philadelphia, and has
rendered his party valuable service in
council and convention. In 1902 Prince-
ton University honored him with the de-
gree of Master of Arts, his alma mater,
Pennsylvania College, conferring that of
Doctor of Laws in 191 1.



GAWTHROP, Robert Smith,

Iianryer, Jnrist.

When in May, 191 5, Governor Brum-
baugh appointed Robert S. Gawthrop to
the high office of judge of the Chester



county courts, he paid a graceful com-
pliment to the legal ability and standing
of one of Chester county's able lawyers
and to the twentieth century fame of an
old Pennsylvania family.

The Gawthrops of Chester and Dela-
ware counties trace their lineage to Lord
Gawthrop, a peer of England, some of
whose descendants came to Philadelphia
in the eighteenth century, later locating
in Chester county. Two of these de-
scendants, James and George Gawthrop,
were sons of Thomas and Isabella
(Crossfield) Gawthrop, both of whom
lived and died in Westmoreland county,
England. Both James and George Gaw-
throp married in England, soon after-
ward coming to the United States,
finally settling in Chester county, where
many descendants are yet found.

Robert Smith Gawthrop was born in
Newlin township, Chester county, Penn-
sylvania, October 26, 1878, son of Thomas
C. and Emma R. (Pratt) Gawthrop.
Emma R. Pratt is a daughter of Joseph
R. Pratt, and a descendant of Abraham
dePratt, a Frenchman who settled in
Dublin township, now Delaware county,
in 1709. Robert S. Gawthrop, after
acquiring an elementary education in
Newlin township schools, entered West
Chester High School, there completing
his preparatory education. He then
entered the classical department of the
University of Pennsylvania, whence he
was graduated Bachelor of Arts, class of
1901. At the university he ranked high
in scholarship and in the esteem of his
fellow students, his attainments and his
popularity gaining him the high and
coveted honor of being chosen president
of his class. He was also an athlete of
prominence, gaining his letter through
membership of the university base bal'
team. He was a member of various soci-
eties, and of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon
fraternity.



2578



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



After graduation, Mr. Gawthrop began
the study of law under the preceptorship
of Congressman Thomas S. Butler, and
on October ii, 1904, was admitted to
practice at the Chester county bar. He
at once began practice in West Chester,
quickly establishing in public favor and
popularity. In November, 1908, he was
elected district attorney of Chester
county, his term of service as public
prosecutor covering the years 1909, 1910
and 191 1. At the expiration of his term
of office, during which he added greatly
to his prestige as one of the strong men
of the Chester county bar, he returned to
private practice, which, general in its
character, extended to all State and Fed-
eral courts of the district. In 191 5 the
retirement of Judge Hemphill creating a
vacancy, Mr. Gawthrop was appointed by
Governor Brumbaugh to fill out his un-
expired term as judge of the Court of
Common Pleas.

Judge Gawthrop has been for many
years prominent in the Republican party,
potent in party councils, and an active
worker, with influence and voice con-
tributing largely to party success. He
has been a member of the executive
committee of the Republican County
Committee several years, also serving as
chairman of that committee. His ap-
pointment to the judgeship was most
acceptable to the Chester county bar,
and at the fall primaries he was chosen
as the regular candidate of his party for
the office he was filling by appointment
from the Governor. He possesses a deep
knowledge of the law, reinforced by his
years of practical experience, a wise well
balanced judicial mind, and an intense
love of justice — qualities that as prac-
titioner, public prosecutor and judge have
won him confidence of clients, the favor
of the public, and high reputation as a
fair minded, impartial jurist. As counsel
he has appeared in many of the notable



cases brought before Chester county
courts, and as judge has presided at the
trial of some very important suits. While
he was district attorney, the lynching of
a negro occurred in Coatesville, his
official action in connection with that
unhappy event going far to remove that
blot upon the fair fame of Chester county.
Judge Gawthrop is a member of the
Masonic order, belonging to Lodge No.
322, Free and Accepted Masons ; Chapter
No. 202, Royal Arch Masons, and Cen-
tennial Commandery, No. 255, Knights
Templar, of Coatesville. He is fond of
out-of-door sports, particularly base ball,
and is a member of the Chester County
Golf and Country Club. In religious
faith he is an Episcopalian. He was
appointed on the Anthracite Coal Com-
mission by Governor Brumbaugh, and is
chairman of that body.



WOODBURY, Frank,

Practitioner, State OfScial.

Dr. Frank Woodbury, engaged in the
private practice of medicine, and also
secretary to the committee on lunacy of
the State Board of Public Charities of
Pennsylvania since November, 1907, was
born in Philadelphia, December 9, 1848,
a son of Thomas Sewall and Sarah Jane
(Grey) Woodbury. He is descended on
the paternal side from one of the old New
England families. His grandfather,
Thomas Woodbury, was born in Boston,
and became a vessel owner and captain
in the mercantile service. He married
Eliza Buck, whose ancestors settled at
what is now known as Bucksport, Maine,
being so named in honor of the family.
He was her second husband. Captain
Thomas Bigelow, her first husband, hav-
ing been lost in a storm at sea.

Thomas Sewall Woodbury was born
in Boston, Massachusetts, and when
about fifteen years of age came to Phil-



2579



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



adelphia, where he resided until his
death, which occurred January 7, 1909,
when he was in his eighty-sixth year.
He was married, January 22, 1845, to
Miss Sarah Jane Grey, who was born in
Pennsylvania of English parentage and
still survives him. Her parents were
likewise natives of England, but died in
Philadelphia, leaving their daughter an
orphan at an early age. By her marriage
she became the mother of three children,
all of whom survive.

Dr. Frank Woodbury, the second child
and only son, completed his literary edu-
cation in the Philadelphia High School,
and then prepared for a professional
career in the Jefiferson Medical College,
from which he was graduated with the
Doctor of Medicine degree in March,
1873. The honorary degree of Master of
Arts was conferred upon him by Lafay-
ette College in 1887. The experiences of
his youth and the work which he did
in his college days aside from the mastery
of the regular college course have con-
stituted elements in his later success.
While in Jefferson Medical College he
had engaged in medical quizzing and
tutoring, was also clinical assistant for
several years to Professor J. M. Da Costa,
and chief of his medical clinic at Jeffer-
son Medical College. He likewise was
stenographic reporter for surgical clinics
held by Professors Joseph Pancoast and
Samuel D. Gross, and with Dr. R. J.
Dunglison he originated and edited the
"College and Clinical Record."

Immediately after his graduation. Dr.
Woodbury was appointed resident phy-
sician to the Pennsylvania Hospital of
Philadelphia, and his activity in connec-
tion with medical journalism also con»
tinued. He became assistant editor and
subsequently editor-in-chief of the "Phil-
adelphia Medical Times," and he was
likewise a member of the editorial staff
of the "Journal of the American Medical



Association," the "Boston Medical and
Surgical Journal" and the "New York
Medical Journal" at various times. He
was elected Professor of Materia Medica
and Therapeutics and also Professor of
Clinical Medicine in the faculty of the
Medico-Chirurgical College of Philadel-
phia, with which he was thus associated
until ill health, from repeated attacks of
la grippe, forced him to resign. He sub-
sequently became Associate Professor of
Laryngology in the Philadelphia Poly-
clinic and the School for Graduates in
Medicine. His hospital service has been
of an important character. He was for
ten years attending ph3-sician to the Ger-
man Hospital of Philadelphia, and was
also one of the attending physicians to
the Medico-Chirurgical Hospital.

Dr. Woodbury is well known to the
profession as a frequent contributor to
medical journals. In association with
Dr. Morton he compiled "The History of