John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography (Volume v.4) online

. (page 49 of 60)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

commander of the Grand Army of the Re-
public of New York State, and in 1894 was
appointed assistant adjutant general of the
New York State National Guard, with the
rank of lieutenant-colonel.

He married Alice Moorhead, daughter of
John Moorhead, the thirtieth day of Octo-
ber, 1890, at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She
was born in Allegheny county, Pennsyl-
vania, and is the mother of several children,
all of whom died in infancy.



JACKSON, Frank Watterson,

Importer, Iiitterateur.

There are many Jackson families in the
United States of English and Irish origin.
Several families of that name who lived in
Fayette county, Pennsylvania, appear to be
descendants of Irish ancestry, while others
are of English-Irish antecedents; but the
lineage of those branches seems never to
have been traced, or, if research has been
made, that information is not now avail-
able. Traditon says that Isaac Jackson
their immigrant ancestor, came from Eng-
land and settled in Virginia about 1725;
another version, however, is that Isaac
Jackson came from Ireland direct to Mary-
land, then to Virginia, and that his ances-



tors in 1649 came to Ireland from England.
The Chester county, Pennsylvania, family
of Jacksons appears to have been allied to
the Fayette .county branch; though whether
they are of a common origin or not has not
yet been established by published informa-
tion. The assumption that this particular
Jackson family was in Pennsylvania prior
to the Revolutionary War appears to be
probable from extant historical data.

Enos Sturgis Jackson, son of Thomas
Jackson, was born in March, 1848, at Union-
town, Fayette county, Pennsylvania. He
was a merchant who dealt in lumber, and
lived at Ohio Pyle, or Falls City, a manu-
facturing village at the beautiful Ohio Pyle
falls of the Youghiogheny river, in Fay-
ette county, Pennsylvania. He married
Clara Bailey, daughter of William and
Mahala (Wilson) Bailey, who was born
in 185 1, near CoUinsville, Fayette county,
Pennsylvania.

Frank Watterson Jackson, son of Enos
Sturgis and Clara (Bailey) Jackson, was
born June 6, 1874, in Fayette county, Penn-
sylvania, and received a liberal education.
He attended the public schools of Fayette
county, Pennsylvania, and the Mount
Pleasant Institute at Mount Pleasant, Penn-
sylvania, from which he graduated in 1891
with honors of his class. He won the col-
lege prize of three hundred dollars, awarded
for scholarship and general excellence,
which carried with it admission into a high-
er collegiate institution. The same year he
entered Bucknell University of Pennsyl-
vania, where he specialized in the Greek
language under the late Dr. Thomas Day
Seymour, of Yale University, and gradu-
ated therefrom in 1895, with the A. B.
degree. From 1895 to 1898 he studied
Greek history and literature under Dr.
George S. Goodspeed, of the Chicago Uni-
versity, and in 1898 received the M. A.
degree from that institution. He taught
Greek in the Mount Pleasant Preparatory
School, 1898 to 1901 ; on March 7, 1901,
he was appointed Consul to Greece, with



1373



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



residence at Patras, Greece, and went
abroad, visited other European countries,
and served as American Consul in Greece
until 1903, when he resigned. During his
two years' residence in Greece he devoted
much time and study to an investigation of
economic conditions there, and our com-
mercial relations with that country, and as
the result of that inquiry he acquired a
personal interest in the welfare of that
country.

Upon his return to New York, he be-
came genera! manager of the Greek Cur-
rant Company, a trading firm in New York
City, engaged in exporting grain and in
importing dried fruits from Greece. The
business continued until 1910, when it was
merged and incorporated under the firm
name of Frank W. Jackson Company, of
New York, of which corporation Mr. Jack-
son is president. The company does a large
import and export business, principally in
importing dried fruits to America and ex-
porting wheat to Greece. In 1909 he was
appointed general agent of the New York
Hellenic Transatlantic Steamship Com-
pany, of Athens, Greece, with offices in
New York City. His extended knowledge
of Hellenic affairs enables him to fill that
position very acceptably.

He married Margaret Ziegler Markle,
daughter of Captain Cassius Clay and
Mary (Overbold) Markle, August 16,
1898, at Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania.
She was born March 8, 1878, in Westmore-
land county, Pennsylvania, and is de-
scended from the well-known Markle fam-
ily of Westmoreland county, whose ances-
tor, John Christian Markle, fled from Ger-
many to Amsterdam, Holland, to avoid re-
ligious persecution. He was born in 1678,
in Alsace-Lorraine ; married Jemima
Weurtz, a sister of the noted admiral of
that name, and in 1703 came to America,
settled at Salem Springs, Berks county,
Pennsylvania, where he purchased fifteen
hundred acres of land and there brought up
his family. Issue of Mr. and Mrs. Jack-



son, two children : Marion Markle Jack-
son, born August 15, 1899, at Mount Pleas-
ant, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania ;
and Margaret Wade Jackson, born Octo-
ber, 1904, in New York City.

Since 1904, Mr. Jackson has been a lec-
turer on topics relating to Hellenic history,
the Balkan war, and other like subjects;
and was appointed by the Board of Edu-
cation of New York City to deliver edu-
cational lectures to the schools of the city
on subjects relating to Greece. He has
contributed many articles to magazines of
politico-historic character during recent
years. He is a Republican in politics, and
is affiliated with a number of business and
social organizations. Is a member, trustee
and treasurer of the West Park Baptist
Church. Also a member of Albion Lodge,
No. 26, Free and Accepted Masons ; of
Manhattan Chapter, Royal Arch Masons;
and of Columbian Commandery, Knights
Templar, all of New York City. He is a
member of the Archaelogical Society of Ath-
ens, Greece ; of the Circolo Nazionale Ital-
iano; and of the Phi Delta Gamma college
fraternity. He is president of Abbotsford
Realty Company; member of the Produce
Exchange of New York, and of the Phi
Betta Gamma and Transportation clubs,
of New York.



SMITH, Harry R,

Physician, Surgeon.

Among the most eminent physicians of
Scranton at the present time is Dr. Harry
F. Smith, a native of that city, where he
was born August 23, 1883, being the son
of Frederick D. and Emilie Longstreet
(Berstein) Smith, old residents of the
place.

He received his education primarily in
the public schools of Scranton, having
graduated from the high school in 1903.
After the completion of his general educa-
tion he decided to take up the study of
medicine with the idea of becoming a phy-



1374



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



sician; and accordingly entered the Medico-
Chirurgical Medical School at Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania. He completed the full four
years' course here, graduating in 1907, and
receiving his degree of M. D. He was ex-
tremely popular with his classmates and en-
tered into the social life of the school while
in Philadelphia, being a member of the
Greek letter fraternity Phi Rho Sigma ; and
enthusiastic in all sports and athletics in
which the students engaged. He was a
member of the football, basket-ball, and
track teams, and became an excellent ath-
lete. In his studies he won distinction ;
and while in Philadelphia was a member
of the W. L. Rodman Surgical Society,
and of the George H. Meeker Society, be-
ing secretary of the latter.

Immediately after his graduation he en-
tered the Stetson Hospital as interne, re-
maining there for six months ; when he
became engaged as company physician for
the Markeloe Mining Company, with whom
he continued for the subsequent eighteen
months. After this he came to Scranton,
where he established himself in general
practice and has remained here with great
success ever since. He has made an ex-
ceptional record considering the short time
he has been a practicing physician, and is
associated with a number of hospitals here
in various capacities of trust. He is a mem-
ber of the staff of the West Mountain Hos-
pital, also of the Scranton State Hospital;
and belongs to the Lackawanna County,
Pennsylvania State, and America Medical
Associations. Belonging to the organiza-
tions of the Knights of the Mystic Chain
and the Patriotic Order of the Sons of
America, he is a member of the medical
and hospital corps of these bodies, and is
very active in their interests ; indeed, he
has become one of the best known and
most esteemed members in the State, and
his services are held in high repute. He is
surgeon to the police force of Scranton,
also to the fire department ; and is the ap-
pointed physician to the school board ; and

I



surgeon to the Delaware, Lackawanna &
\A'estern Railroad.

Dr. Smith is a Republican in politics, and
i^; a very active member of the party in
local affairs. From the year 1904 until
1907 he served on the State Guard staff,
and in all military matters takes an active
and enthusiastic interest. In 1912 he was
appointed first lieutenant. Medical Corps,
Pennsylvania National Guard, and assigned
to the 13th Infantry Regiment, Scranton.
He is a member of the Presbyterian church
as is also his wife, who was Miss Celia B.
Rine, daughter of Edwin M. Rine, general
superintendent of the Delaware, Lacka-
wanna & Western Railway, one of the
most influential and wealthiest citizens of
Scranton. Dr. Smith appears to have be-
fore him a brilliant future, successful in
his practice, popular among his fellow citi-
zens, and eminent by way of his social and
personal qualifications. He is one of the
professional men to whom Scranton looks
for added lustre in its place among cities.



SMITH, Edward Taylor,

Progressive Citizen.

With qualifications such as insure suc-
cess, Edward Taylor Smith holds a place
among the representative farmers of East
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, and his broad
minded and kindly nature have secured him
the respect and esteem of his neighbors.

Francis J. Smith, his grandfather, was
born January 4, 1789, and died June 8,
1857. Pie was a prominent farmer in his
day, and purchased one hundred and fifty
acres of the Brodhead tract, in the center
of which was the old log fort which is still
standing. He married. May 20, 1812,
Susan B. Ransberry, born September 19,
1797, died September 12, 1870, and they
had children : Oliver D., born December
4. 181 3, died February 5, 1870; Daniel D.,
born May i, 1817, died April 14, 1889;
Jesse R., of further mention ; George R.,
December 25, 1821, died February 25,

375



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



1873; Theodore, born March 27, 1824;
FrankHn, born October 2, 1827, died No-
vember 6, 1852; Francis J. Jr., born June
9, 1829, died November 4, 1866; Sallie A.,
born September 4, 1832, died July 10, 1906 ;
Michael R., born March 31, 1835, died
June 2, 1874; Anna M., born April 17,
1838, died November i, 1851; Henry R.,
born September 19, 1841.

Jesse R., son of Francis J. and Susan
Brodhead (Ransberry) Smith, was born
in Lower Smithfield township, at that time
Northampton county, December 15, 1819,
and died at East Stroudsburg, Pennsyl-
vania, November 2, 1910. He was edu-
cated in the district schools of his native
town, and in 1835 went to Easton, Penn-
sylvania, where he learned the blacksmith's
trade, which he followed there for five
years, and later at Wyalusing, Bradford
county, Pennsylvania, he was engaged with
Mr. Wells in the construction of the North
Branch canal, being made superintendent of
the construction of track from Otisville,
Pennsylvania, to Port Jervis, New York.
During the latter part of 1854 and in 1855
he was superintendent of construction for a
section of the Delaware, Lackawanna &
Western Railroad, and was the first con-
ductor on the first train that passed over
the road into Stroudsburg. Upon severing
his connection with the railroad, Mr. Smith
devoted himself to farming. He was a very
progressive and generous man, and he do-
nated the land on which the East Strouds-
burg Glass Works now stand. He was
one of the founders of the East Strouds-
burg Knitting Mill, which no longer exists.
He was one of the organizers of the Mon-
roe County National Bank of East Strouds-
burg, and served as its vice-president for
a number of years. Republican in his poli-
tical opinion, he served several terms as
a school director of his township. He was
for many years a deacon of the Presbyte-
rian church, and was a charter member of
Barger Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons
of Stroudsburg. Mr. Smith married (first)



May 5, 1857, Sarah L., born May 20, 1828.
died February 23, 1874, a daughter of Rev.
George Taylor, and they had children:

1. Edward Taylor, subject of this sketch.

2. Burton F., born July 20, 1864. 3. Mary
E. Smith, born July 19, 1868; married,
June 4, 1890, William H. Flory, born
December 18, 1861, at Stroudsburg, died
December 22, 1912, at East Stroudsburg;
plumbing and steam fitting contractor,
member of Barger Lodge, Free and Ac-
cepted Masons, and Knights of Malta of
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. In religion a
Methodist. Children : Ruth, born March 4,
1893 ; William Bradford, born April 22,
1895, and Jesse R. Smith Flory, born Oc-
tober 5, 1909, at East Stroudsburg. Mr.
Smith married (second) July 24, 1879,
Sarah Elizabeth, daughter of A. A. Bishop,
of Wysocking, Pennsylvania. There were
no children by the second marriage.

Edward Taylor Smith was born July 24,
1861, on the old Smith homestead, at East
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. He acquired
his education in the public schools in the
vicinity of his home, and, even in boyhood,
his spare time was devoted to assisting his
father in the cultivation of the home farm.
Upon the death of his father he succeeded
to the homestead, which he is cultivating in
an up-to-date manner, and is rapidly ac-
quiring a fortune. He is a Republican in
his political affiliation, and is a consistent
attendant at the Presbyterian church.



YETTER, Milton,

Financier, Philanthropist.

Milton Yetter, one of the most promi-
nent and progressive citizens of Strouds-
burg and East Stroudsburg, Monroe
county, Pennsylvania, was during his en-
tire career of great activity and signal use-
fulness a conspicuous figure in the com-
mercial and public life of the city in which
he lived. He was closely identified with
numerous of its most important business
enterprises, and was at various times called



1376






/t^



.M:



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



to high places of trust and honor in which
he well served the interests of the com-
munity at large. He was a self-made, self-
educated man, but of a naturally refined
taste which made him a liberal patron of
art and literature, and an admirable figure
in the social world. His life affords a
shining example of what may be accom-
plished through untiring industry and in-
telligent effort, and his name will be held
in lasting honor for his nobility of personal
character, his broad benevolence and all-
comprehending philanthropy.

John Yetter, grandfather of Milton Yet-
ter, was probably of German descent, and
at an early age settled in Hamilton town-
ship, Monroe county, Pennsylvania. Later
he removed to Smithfield township, in the
same county, where he lived at Marshall's
Creek. He was a wheelwright and farmer,
and followed these callings all his life. He
married Magdalene Strauss, also of Ger-
man ancestry, and they had : David, of fur-
ther mention ; John ; Sarah E. ; Edwin.
Mr. Yetter died in Smithfield township in
1863.

David, son of John and Magdalene
(Strauss) Yetter, was born in Smithfield
township, Monroe county, Pennsylvania, in
August, 181 1, and died at his home near
Minsi, Monroe county, in 1878. In those
early days there was but limited opportu-
nity for obtaining a good education unless
at great expense, and Mr. Yetter was soon
obliged to assist his father in the culti-
vation and management of the farm. Soon
he engaged in lumbering on shares with
his father, and ultimately purchased a farm
of two hundred and twelve acres which he
cleared of timber and put under cultiva-
tion, continuing this occupation until 1868.
He then purchased the home near Minsi, in
which his remaining years were spent. Mr.
Yetter married, in 1836, Elizabeth, daugh-
ter of John C. and Elizabeth Bush, and
they became the parents of children as fol-
lows : Martin; Andrew; Anna N.; Eliza;



John; Sarah; Edith; and Milton, whose
name heads this sketch.

Milton Yetter was born in Smithfield
township, Monroe county, Pennsylvania,
August 26, 1849, and died August 28, 191 1,
at Atlantic City, New Jersey, whither he
had gone to restore his health which had
become impaired by too strenuous atten-
tion to the important business affairs with
which he was connected. His education
was a very simple one, acquired in the dis-
trict schools near his home, and he re-
mained on the home farm until he was
thirteen years of age. He then went to
New York City, where he followed various
occupations, one being that of a dealer in
vegetables in association with his brother,
Andrew, others being the sprinkling of the
city streets, and the grocery business, and
then returned to Stroudsburg. There he
established a general store which he con-
ducted for many years, and earned a repu-
tation for integrity and careful attention to
business second to none. He was a leading
spirit in the organization and management
of a number of financial, commercial and
other enterprises, and his counsel was
sought by many in other lines of business.
He was one of the founders of the East
Stroudsburg National Bank, was elected
president of this institution, and was the
incumbent of this office until his death. A
partial list of his many activities is as fol-
lows: One of the founders of the State
Normal School, and president at time of
death; the East Stroudsburg Glass Com-
pany and the Saylorsburg Brick Works;
one of the founders of the Stroudsburg
Gas Company, and at one time treasurer
of this corporation; one of the owners of
the Stroudsburg Silk Mill; treasurer and
director of the Dingman & Bushkill Trans-
portation Company; in 1904 he purchased
the Delaware Valley Railroad, reorganized
its affairs and managed it successfully un-
til his death; one of the founders, and at
the time of his death president, of the Saw

377



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Creek Club. In matters of religion he dis-
played the same ability and thoroughness
that characterized all he attempted. He
was an active member of the East Strouds-
burg Presbyterian Church, was a trustee of
this institution for more than a quarter of
a century, and contributed liberally to its
support. Mr. Yetter married Amanda C,
daughter of David and Jane (Decker)
Wright, of Gardnersville, Orange county,
New York, and they had children : Minnie ;
Myrtle ; Louisa ; Milton Russell.

Milton Russell Yetter was born at
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, September 9,
1892, and received a comprehensive edu-
cation, attending the State Normal School,
at Stroudsburg; the Lawrenceville School,
at Lawrenceville, New Jersey ; and the
Pierce School at Philadelphia. Upon the
completion of his studies he became asso-
ciated with his father in the management
of the latter's business enterprises, and suc-
ceeded him as president of the East
Stroudsburg Glass Company ; trustee of
the State Normal School, at East Strouds-
burg; director of the Stroudsburg Passen-
ger Railway Company, and the Delaware
Valley Railroad Company ; and trustee of
the East Stroudsburg Presbyterian Church.
He married, October 7, 1914, Marguerite
Akin Jones, daughter of John (deceased)
and Mary Miller Jones, of Philadelphia.

Milton Yetter was held in honor fo'-
those traits of character which mark the
model man and the beloved neighbor. Mod-
est and unassuming, he was entirely un-
conscious of the salutary influences which
he exerted in the community, having no
thought of being regarded as an exemplar,
but only of so acting his part in life as to
merit the approval of his own conscience.
Eminently successful in the acquisition of
personal fortune, he had made the com-
munity sharers in it by his labors in pro-
moting its various interests, multiplying
and broadening the avenues of employment,
enhancing the value of properties, and aid-
ing to make the city a desirable residential



spot through the greater excellence of its
churches, schools and charitable institutions
and all other agencies which stand for bod-
ily comfort and mental improvement.



POTTS, George C,

Fharmacist, Traveler, Liecturer.

George C. Potts, proprietor and manager
of one of the finest drug stores in Harris-
burg, Pennsylvania, is a representative of
one of the oldest families of the state,
whose members have shown their bravery
and devotion to their country in times of
need.

David Potts, the American progenitor of
the family, was a native of Montgomery-
shire, Wales, and emigrated from Bristol,
England, in 1670 with Markham, in early
manhood. He settled at Bristol, Bucks
county, Pennsylvania, where he was a
farmer by occupation, and became a mem-
ber of the Society of Friends. His death
occurred in 1730. He married, 1693, Alice
Crosdale, who came to America in the ship
"Welcome," with William Penn. They
had eleven children.

Nathan, youngest child of David and
Alice (Crosdale) Potts, was born in Bris-
tol, Bucks county, about 1710, died in 1754,
and was buried in the Friends' Cemetery,
at Plymouth, Pennsylvania. In connection
with farming he followed his trade a.> a
blacksmith, at Plymoui-h Meeting House,
in Plymouth township, and was a member
of the Society of Friends. He married,
1736, Esther Rhodes, and had: Daniel,
Stephen, Nathan, Alice, Zebulon and
Isaiah.

Stephen, son of Nathan and Esther
(Rhodes) Potts, was born April 18, 1740,
and died January 12, 1801. He resided in
Upper Merion township, Montgomery
county, Pennsylvania. He married Jane
Jones, who was born November 25, 1746,
and died August 25, 1828. They became
the parents of ten children.

Nathan, son of Stephen and Jane

378



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



(Jones) Potts, was born February i6, 1773,
and died December 21, 1835. After his
marriage he settled in York county, Penn-
sylvania, and affiliated with the \^^ashing-
ton Friends Meeting. He married, Octo-
ber 26, 1799, Anne Rankin, born August 3,
1779, died March 12, 1856. They had
eleven children.

George, son of Nathan and Anne (Ran-
kin) Potts, was born April 3, 1808, and
died, August 7, 1845. He married Octo-
ber 4, 1832, Mary Watts, born in Harris-
burg, Pennsylvania, October 24, 181 5, and
they had eight children.

Milton, son of George and Mary (Watts)
Potts, was born June 25, 1846, in Harris-
burg, Pennsylvania. He has been an
active worker in the interests of the Re-
publican party since he attained his ma-
jority, and has been honored by election
and appointment to a number of local
offices. He married, April 14, 1867, Ella
Ringler, now deceased, and has had chil-
dren : Ringler, deceased ; George C, whose
name heads this sketch ; Lillie Elizabeth,
who married George S. Landis, of Harris-
burg; Ellen Alwilda.

George C. Potts, son of Milton and Ella
(Ringler) Potts, was born in Harrisburg,
Pennsylvania, April 3, 1869. After com-
pleting the course at the public schools of
Harrisburg, Mr. Potts matriculated at the
Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, from
which institution he was graduated in the
class of 1890. He then became a clerk in
the drug store of W. A. Borden at Colum-
bia, Pennsylvania, remaining there one
year. At the expiration of this time he
returned to Harrisburg, where he opened
a drug store at the corner of Third and
Herr streets, and so well conducted this,
that in 1908 he was obliged to obtain larger
quarters. He accordingly purchased the
Young Women's Christian Association
building, a piece of property directly oppo-
site his old place of business, and having
had the building remodeled to suit the re-
quirements of his business, he took posses-



i;ion of the new premises in which he now
has a drug store ecjuipped in the most up-
to-date manner. He enjoys a large patron-
age, not alone for the excellent quality of
the stock that he carries, but also because
of the courteous treatment accorded all the
partons of the store. In other directions
Mr. Potts has also been an enterprising
citizen, and erected the first apartment