home ; Lester W., a teamster and coal dealer of Fallston, Pennsylvania.
America is greatly indebted for its general prosperity to the
BRAUN German nation. The emigrants who have come to the United
States from Germany have brought with them those character-
istics which make for the progress and right development of any country.
Progressive to a certain extent are the Germans, but what they possess
in richest measure are those qualities of thrifta|B|^try and conservatism
without which all progress is unprofitab^B| tni^B The Braun family,
of New Brighton, Beaver county, PeniP^ania, is a case in point. Al-
though they have had but two generations in this country, they have
adapted themselves to conditions here with a readiness which is admir-
able, and have done their duty with credit to themselves in whatever
sphere it has been their fortune to live. The grandparents on the paternal
side of the present generation lived and died in Germany.
(I) Louis A. Braun was born in Germany and was educated in that
country. He learned the trade of tanning, at which he became an expert,
and followed this in his native land. Having ascertained that conditions
were better in the United States than in his own country, Mr. Braun
emigrated to America, and settled in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, where
for a time he followed the occupation of tanning. Later he established
himself in the grocery business in Allegheny City, and was successfully
engaged in this until his death. He was a man held in high esteem in the
community in which he lived, and he and his wife were members of the
German Lutheran Church. Mr. Braun married, in Allegheny, Elizabeth
Goetman, bom in Germany, who came to this country with her mother
and located in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, her father having died in
Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Braun became the parents of eight children.
(II) Louis A. (2) Braun, son of Louis A. (i) and Elizabeth (Goetman)
Braun, was born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, February 24, 1864.
He received his education in the public schools in the vicinity of his home,
and upon leaving school found employment in a soap manufacturing plant,
where he worked until 1899. He then removed to New Brighton, Beaver
county, Pennsylvania, where he worked in the hide and tallow business
conducted by Fource, Sour & Company, for a period of two years. At
the expiration of this time he bought out the plant of this company and
operated it himself for another two years. He then organized the Brauu
Rendering Company, of which he was elected president and general man-
ager, and which has been in a flourishing condition since its inception, owing
to the excellent management of Mr. Braun. At the time of its organiza-
tion, this company built its present plant in Daugherty township, near New
Brighton, and this is equipped with every modern improvement for a plant
of its kind.
Mr. Braun married, in 1882, Matilda Schreader, of North Side,
Pittsburgh. They have had children: Harry, deceased; Nelda, deceased;
Lawrence; Elsie, deceased; Louis. Mr. and Mrs. Braun are members of
the German Lutheran Church, and he gives his political support to the
Republican party. While he is not desirous of holding public office, he
is ever ready as a good citizen to support any movement which is for the
general good, and gives liberally both of his time and means for any
purpose of this character.
During d^^Bte^ialf of the eighteenth century five families
ELDER bearing ^Him€^MElder emigrated from Ireland to America,
settling in variou^^tions of what is now the state of Penn-
sylvania, where many of their descendants are living at the present time.
Among these emigrants was the direct ancestor of the branch under dis-
(I) John Elder was born in Ireland in 1710, and his father was born
(II) John (2) Elder, son of John (i) Elder, was born in Ireland in
1756, in county Down. He was a weaver by trade and had amassed a con-
siderable fortune. Unfortunately he went on a bond for an acquaintance
in Ireland, and being compelled to pay this, was obliged to part with all
of his property. He married Mary Elder, also born in county Down,
Ireland, and they had children: John, born in 1783, died in 1852, was a
farmer in Coshocton, Ohio; Matthew, born in 1788, died in 1863, was the
proprietor of a wool and flour mill in Beaver county, Pennsylvania;
Thomas, died in 1867; James, died in 1835; William, see forward; Samuel,
born in 1804, died in 1861 ; Margaret, married John Gray in Ireland, emi-
grated to America, and settled in Iowa.
(III) William Elder, son of John (2) and Mary (Elder) Elder, was
born in county Down, Ireland, in 1801, died in 1862. He emigrated to
America, and in 1827 had earned a sufficient sum of money to bring his
parents to America. His brother Matthew was already located in Darling-
ton township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, on Little Beaver creek, and
Matthew and his brother William conducted a flour mill there for many
years, taking the flour to Philadelphia by wagon. William Elder finally
purchased six hundred acres of land, a part of the farm of J. V. White,
BEAVER COUNTY 629
which was close by, and he was engaged in farming during the remainder
of his life. William Elder was a Whig, and later an Abolitionist. He and
his family were members of the Associate Presbyterian Church, better
known as Seceders. Mr. Elder married Sarah Stewart, born in county
Down, Ireland, in 1806, died in May, 1888. They had children: John
Stewart, see forward; Samuel Rankin, now deceased, lived on a part of
the homestead in South Beaver township; Robert Boyd, who served in
the Union army during the Civil War, died of an attack of typhoid fever
in South Carolina; Mattie Jane, married John Creighton, a farmer, and is
living in South Beaver township.
(IV) John Stewart Elder, son of William and Sarah (Stewart) Elder,
was born in Darlington township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, in 1835,
died September 5, 1886. He studied for the ministry at Westminster Col-
lege, New Wilmington, Pennsylvania, and was graduated from this institu-
tion, but his heahh had become impaired by too assiduous application to his
books, and he was obliged to return to the outdoor occupations of the f^rm.
After the death of his father, the farm was divided into three parts and he
lived m the house on the old homestead. He and his brother Samuel R.
cultivated five hundred acres in partnership un^^he firm name of Elder
Brothers, and for many years were extej^kelj^^^eed in the raising of
sheep. John Stewart Elder married hi^^Br coi^PPSarah Ellen Stewart,
born in Wellsville, Ohio, in 1837, died dictober 4, 1888, daughter of James
and Mary (McKinzie) Stewart, and granddaughter of John Stewart, who
claimed descent from the royal house of Stuart, of Scotland, in which
country he was born, and from whence he migrated to Ireland. James
and Mary (McKinzie) Stewart emigrated to America, and settled on a farm
two miles west of West Liverpool, Ohio. He removed to Wellsville, Ohio,
where he became a well known merchant. They had children: Martha;
Sarah Ellen, mentioned above ; Mary, married William Fulton, and lives at
Clinton, Illinois ; James Jr. ; Rachel. John Stewart and Sarah Ellen
(Stewart) Elder had children: William S., died in infancy; James S., lives
on the old homestead, married Cora Creighton, and has children: Ralph,
Margaret, Chalmers and Newton; Robert Boyd, unmarried, lives on the
farm ; William Carl, see forward.
(V) William Carl Elder, D.D.S., son of John Stewart and Sarah Ellen
(Stewart) Elder, was born in South Beaver township, Beaver county, Penn-
sylvania, September 9, 1875. He attended the Blue Ridge District School,
near his home, then the Greersburg Academy, from which he was graduated.
He next matriculated at the department of dentistry, University of Indian-
apolis, and was graduated from this institution in 1901 with the degree of
Doctor of Dental Surgery. Shortly after his graduation, in association with
his college room-mate, Michael William Taylor, he opened an office at East
Liverpool, Ohio, and they practiced together for a period of two years.
Mr. Elder was then the mail carrier on the railroad from Darlington, Penn-
sylvania, for two years, and in 1906 he opened an office for the practice of
dentistry in Darlington, Pennsylvania, and has been very successful in his
cnosen profession. He has taken an active interest in the public affairs of
the community, affiliating with the Republican party, and has served as
burgess of Darlington and as justice of the peace. He and his wife are
members of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, and he is a member of the
Knights of Pythias. He married, October 4, 191 1, Olive Gertrude Taylor,
born in South Beaver township. They have no children.
Mrs. Elder is the daughter of Samuel S. and Rachel Elizabeth (Conkle)
Taylor. The former was a grandson of William Taylor Sr., born in Ireland,
who emigrated to America and settled in what is now Lawrence county,
Pennsylvania, where he was a farmer. William Jr., son of WilHam Tay-
lor Sr., was born in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, where he married
Mary Ann Smith, also a native of that county. They had children:
Alexander, who was colonel in a Pennsylvania regiment during the Civil
War, at the close of this struggle became a minister of the Methodist
Church; Samuel S., see forward; Wilson, died in Andersonville Prison;
Sarah Jane, died at the age of twenty-four years; Mary Ann, died at
the age of nineteen years; Eliza, died at the age of twenty-five years;
Albert, a soldier durin^^^ Qvil War, died in Colorado. Samuel S., son
of William and Mar^^^V (flhl^h) Taylor, was born in Beaver county,
Pennsylvania in FebWJ^ i^^Vied in 1903. At the outbreak of the
Civil War he enHsted in the (JnPHundred and First Regiment Pennsyl-
vania Volunteer Infantry, and served for three and one-half years. He
was in Andersonville Prison for a short time and was then exchanged.
After the war was over he resumed his farming operations on his farm
of one hundred acres in South Beaver township, and remained there until
his death. He had a well earned reputation as an auctioneer at country
sales, and was largely interested in money dealings in connection with oil
leases. He was for many years justice of the peace of South Beaver
township. He married Rachel Elizabeth Conkle, born in South Beaver
township in 1842, daughter of Michael and Sarah (Todd) Conkle, see
forward. They had children: Mary, married Frank Hays; Sadie D.,
married Joseph Rossell ; Dr. C. C. Taylor, married Flora Dawson, and
resides in East Rochester ; Michael W., who died at the age of thirty-seven
years, married Edith L. Calvin; Olive Gertrude, married William Carl
Elder, D.D.S., as above stated ; H. M., unmarried, a dentist in Rochester,
Pennsylvania; Essie G., and Eva J., unmarried; Emma J., married Walter
E. Duncan, and lives in Rochester, Pennsylvania.
Michael Conkle, the maternal grandfather of Olive Gertrude (Taylor)
Elder, lived in South Beaver township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, and
was a farmer all his life. In later life he removed to Columbiana county,
Ohio, where his death occurred. He was a very active member of the
Methodist Church, holding the office of steward, and was noted for his
ability to conduct prayer meetings at the homes of the members of the
congregation. He was one of the leading spirits in the organization of
BEAVER COUNTY 631
the Brush Run Methodist Church. He married Sarah Todd, and had
children : Susan, married T. Huffman ; Rachel Elizabeth, married Samuel
S. Taylor, as above mentioned; Rev. J. H., now living retired in New
Waterford, Ohio, having resigned from his pastorate after service as a
Methodist minister for half a century; Mary, married Hugh Chain, lives in
New Waterford, Ohio; John, deceased; Lula, married D. W. Moore, and
lives in East Palestine, Ohio; Calvin K., lives on his farm in Ohio, mar-
ried (first) Jessie Burt, (second) Delia Bradshaw.
Commercial and industrial activity is the life of a community,
PARK and the wiheels of trade continue over the road to success.
The man or men who found and keep in successful operation
extensive business interests, wherein are employed many workmen, does
much more for the substantial and permanent development of a city than
he who enriches it by mere gifts of money. The Park family, of Beaver
county, Pennsylvania, belongs to the former class.
(I) William Park, the first of whom we have record in this county,
came from Cookstown, Ireland, itqo, and was landed at Philadelphia.
In that city he learned the trade ^^^^>ne mason, and was occupied with
this until 1796, when he remov^^TO Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In the
latter city he pursued his trade for a iMte, then branched out into the
contracting business and erected a number of houses in Allegheny county.
He settled in McMairstown, now Wilkinsburg, and still later purchased a
farm in Penn township, Allegheny county, where his death occurred at a
ripe old age. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and in Ireland
had joined the Order of Knights Templar. He married, and had children :
John, James, David, see forward ; William, Robert, Thomas, Jane.
(II) David Park, son of William Park, was a wagon maker by oc-
cupation. After his marriage he settled in Wilkinsburg, Allegheny county,
later removed to East Liberty, in the same county, and about 1844 to
Beaver township. He purchased a farm in Sewickley township, about one
mile from Freedom, Beaver county, Pennsylvania. He married Ann
Hamilton and had children : James, see forward ; George ; William ; John ;
David; Theodore; Elizabeth, married Hiram Phillip; M'ary, married Rev.
(III) James Park, son of David and Ann (Hamilton) Park, learned
the trade of wagon building from his father, and was thus occupied for
many years. He also engaged in the lumber business in Freedom, in
which enterprise he was very successful. He married Emily McDonald
and had children: Wliliam A., John H., George I., see forward; Anna.
(IV) George I. Park, son of James and Emily (McDonald) Park,
was born in New Sewickley township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, Feb-
ruary 5, 1871. He acquired his early education in the public schools of his
native township, and upon leaving these entered upon his business career
with the Park & Park Stone Quarry Company, at New Galilee, and with
this concern he rose to the position of superintendent. He then went to
Conway in order to assume the duties of superintendent of No. 2, of the
Park Fire Clay Company, then to the No. 3 Works, and from there to
Brady Run. He was next transferred to Kenilworth, West Virginia, re-
maining there for a period of two years. From there he went to Galilee.
For a time he had attended the Theological College at Greenville, Mercer
county, Pennsylvania, then went to the Spencerian Business College in
Cleveland, Ohio. He served as superintendent of the Monaca Brick Works,
a branch of the Pennsylvania Clay Company, and later, in the year of the
Beaver Centennial celebration, established himself in the real estate bus-
iness. He does not act as a real estate broker, but buys and sells inde-
pendently, and also builds many houses and sells them. He also established
the Carpet & Rug Company of Rochester, which he sold in 1905. In 1900
he established, in association with Mr. Mahan, the Rochester Furniture
and Auction Company, which is in a flourishing condition, with a volume
of business of constantly increasing proportions. He is the owner of a fine
residence in Beaver at the corner of East End avenue and Third street. Mr.
Park is also a stockholder in the Be aver County Telephone Company. His
political allegiance is given to the ^^^Bican party, and he is a member of
the Presbyterian Church. As a bu^Ss man Mr. Park has earned the
respect and esteem of all with wfcm he has had dealings, and as a citizen he
bears the highest character. He is devoted to his family and friends, and
has done much to contribute to the general welfare of the community. Mr.
Park married Ola, daughter of Dr. Robert Kennedy, in 1901, and they have
children: Mary, born 1903; Olive, 1904; William, 1905.
The United States ranks today as the foremost nation
GISHBAUGHER of the modern civilized world. It has served as the
melting-pot of the best characteristics of all other
nations and the outcome is a fine, sterling American citizenship, consisting
of strong and able-bodied men, loyal and public-spirited in civic life, honor-
able in business, and alert and enthusiastically in sympathy with every
measure tending to further the material welfare of the entire country.
The great empire of Germany has contributed its fair quota to the up-
building of this great nation and among its representatives in this country
are to be found successful men in every walk of life, including the pro-
fessions as well as the prosperous farmers and business men. The Gish-
baugher family, of Beaver county, Pennsylvania, is no exception to this
rule. While the family is only in its third generation in America, they
have made their mark in various directions, and have proved themselves
men of sterling worth in the communities in which they reside.
(I) Michael Gishbaugher, who was born in the Kingdom of Baden,
Germany, in 1833, died in Darlington township, Beaver county, Pennsyl-
vania, September 22, 1905. His early years were spent on the farm on
which he was born, and on which he worked until he was twenty-four years
BEAVER COUNTY 633
of age, at which time he decided to emigrate to America. He arrived at
Philadelphia, going from this city to Lowell, Mahoning county, Ohio, and
worked there in the iron furnaces for a period of two years. He then re-
moved to Darlington township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, where he
found employment in the Freeman Butts coal mine, and his connection
with this was uninterrupted for thirty-five years. He purchased one hun-
dred and fourteen acres of land one mile east of the above mentioned mine,
and resided on this property until his death. In addition to his mining
labors he oversaw the cultivation of his farm, the actual work being done
by his sons. In personal appearance he was of medium height, very
corpulent, and of great strength. Fifteen years prior to his death he
opened a coal mine on his own land and this is still in excellent operation.
He and his wife were members of the Roman Catholic Church.
Mr. Gishbaugher married Clara Kremer, born in 1832, in Germany,
died in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, in 1901. Her parents lived near
the Swiss border, where her father was a molder by trade and employed
in iron works. His widow came to America about 1850, settling in Darling-
ton township, Beaver county, at th|«|i^ of Mansfield's Hill. She brought
her children with her and they li-^^lum' a log cabin. Her children were :
Anna, married Adam Lebbard, and lived in Canton, Ohio; Eve, Anton,
Lawrence and Christian, moved to Punfem county, Ohio, where they
lived on farms ; Clara, who married Mr. Gishbaugher, as above stated.
Mr. and Mrs. Gishbaugher had children: Mary and Kate, died unmarried
in 1909; Christian, married Irene Nicely, and lives in Darlington township;
Clara, married Philip Krause, and lives in Butler, Pennsylvania; Anna,
died January 28, 1896; Jennie, married Edward James, and Hves in New
Brighton, Pennsylvania; Michael J., see forward; Maggie, married Louis
Smith, and lives in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania; Sarah, died at the age of
ten years; Ella, died when nine years of age.
(II) Michael J. Gishbaugher, son of Michael and Clara (Kremer)
Gishbaugher, was born in Darlington township, Beaver county, Pennsyl-
vania, April 21, 1871. He was born in a house at the Butts Coal Works,
and attended the Oakdale district school. He was sixteen years of age
when his father bought the home farm, on which Mr. Gishbaugher now
lives, and for a period of ten years Michael J. drove a mule in the coal
mine. He then commenced working on the farm for his father, an occu-
pation with which he was identified until the death of the latter. When
this death occurred, Mr. Gishbaugher, together with his sisters, Mary and
Kate, bought the interests in the farm from the other heirs, and now Mr.
Gishbaugher has acquired the sole right to this property. He owns ninety-
four acres of land, which he cultivates to its fullest extent, making a
specialty of raising large crops of potatoes. He also operates the coal
mine on the farm with a marked degree of success. His political affiliations
are with the Democratic party, and he is a member of the Roman Catholic
Mr. Gishbaugher married, January i, 1894, Margaret Bratny, born
in Cannelton, Pennsylvania, February 15, 1867, daughter of James and
Catherine (Cochran) Bratny, the former of whom died in September,
1906, the latter May 12, 191 1. She was born in county Cork, and he in
county Sligo, Ireland. He was eighteen years of age, she nine years of
age, when they emigrated to America with their parents, and they both
grew up in the city of New York. James Bratny drove an omnibus in
that city for a time, then removed to Cannelton, where he was a mule driver
in a coal mine for many years. Later he bought a farm on which he resided
until his death. They had children: Margaret, mentioned above as the
wife of Mr. Gishbaugher; Benjamin and Thomas, twins, the latter em-
ployed as a digger in the coal mines; Mary, died at the age of two years.
Mr. and Mrs. Gishbaugher have had children : Michael, born December
5, 1895; William, March 23, 1896; Leo, February 29, 1898; Paul, September
18, 1899; Joseph, October 29, 1901 ; Catherine, September 15, 1903; Louis,
June 24, 1905 ; Leonard, January 28, 1907, died in March of the same
year; Clara, March 11, 1908-; Helen, March 14, 1910.
The Duff family was lidded in this country by John and
DUFF Ann (Wallace) Mcllduff, of Scotch-Irish extraction, who came
from near Belfast, Ireland, about 1775, and settled on land
near what is now known as Export, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania,
on the farm still in the possession of some of their descendants. It is a
matter of some difficulty to trace all the lines uninterruptedly, as during
the early disturbances in this country many valuable church and other
official records were lost or destroyed by the various enemies of the new-
comers in this land. The Indians were particularly destructive, as they
burned whenever the opportunity arose. There appears to be no doubt,
however, that all bearing the name of Duff have this common origin.
(I) Oliver Duff came with his family to Darlington township, Beaver
county, Pennsylvania, probably from Westmoreland county direct, or pos-
sibly from the edge of Allegheny county, about 1798-99, and purchased
four hundred acres of land. One of his great-grandchildren, William J.
Duff, now resides on a part of this tract. Oliver Duff died in 1799,
leaving four sons, and he left his estate of four hundred acres to the
following : James ; William, see forward ; Robert ; John, who settled in
Chippewa township, Beaver county.
(II) William Duff, son of Oliver Duff, lived and died on his share
of the estate left by his father. He and his brother Robert took an active
part in the War of 1812, and he received a patent for one hundred and
twenty acres of land in the state of Kansas, as payment for his services
in this conflict. He and his family were members of the Seceders' Church.
He married Esther Caughey, of Irish extraction, whose family came to
Beaver county from Westmoreland county. Mrs. Duff was a very young
girl when her mother died, and she had many interesting experiences to
BEAVER COUNTY 635
relate of her girlhood days. When she and her father came to Beaver
county, that section was practically a wilderness, and they went before the
others of the family in order to prepare a home for them. They settled
in South Beaver township, and set about constructing a log cabin. They
were obliged to live in this even while it was in course of construction, as
the wolves and other wild animals, then infesting the woods, made life
very dangerous, and it was frequently a matter of difficulty to keep the
wolves at a respectful distance. William and Esther (Caughey) Duff had
children : Sarah, married David Wallace, and lived in Muskingum county,
Ohio; Ellen, married Archibald McNair, and lived in Mercer county;
Samuel C, see forward ; Mary, died unmarried ; Eliza Jane, never married ;
Esther, married Joseph Bayless, and lived in the state of Kansas.
(III) Samuel C. Duflf, son of William and Esther (Caughey) Duff,