the scope of the company broadened it was necessary to make a change
in this arrangement, and in 1906 it was incorporated, the officers being:
J. M. May, president ; T. S. White, vice-president ; Francis William Walker,
BEAVER COUNTY 931
secretary, treasurer and general manager. They manufactured enameled
and wall tile, and have about one hundred and twenty-five employees.
They have a branch office in New York City, and their trade connections
are all over the United States and Canada. Mr. Walker lived in New
Brighton until 1906, when he moved to Patterson Heights, four years later
building his present residence, in which he has been residing since that
time. He is connected with a large number of other business enterprises,
among them being the following : President of the Beaver County Building
and Loan Association; director in the Beaver County Trust Company;
president of the Robert Rossman Company, of New York City, importers
of tile ; vice-president of the American Sewer Pipe Company ; member of
the Beaver Valley Country Club; president of the Manufacturers' Asso-
ciation of Beaver County; president of the Conservation Association of
the The Chenango and Beaver Valleys.
Mr. Walker married, April 25, 1882, Lelia Frances Gould, born m
Athens county, Ohio, daughter of George T. and Minerva (Brown) Gould,
the former a manufacturer and contractor. Children: i. Hilda Minerva,
married Robert Cooper Vandevort, cashier of the United States National
Bank ; lives in Aberdeen, Washington ; they have children : Lelia Frances
and Robert Cooper Jr. 2. Francis William Jr., was graduated from the
Pennsylvania State College, in mechanical engineering, and took a post-
graduate course at the University of Illinois in ceramic engineering; he
is now superintendent of the Beaver Falls Art Tile Company. 3. George
Gould, attending the Pennsylvania State College, where he is taking ja.
course in mechanical engineering.
The name of Bentel is one of fairly frequent occurrence in
BENTEL the state of Pennsylvania, the original bearers of it in this
country having come to America from Germany. They
brought with them the energy, industry and thrift characteristic of the
German nation, and their descendants have inherited these traits in rich
(I) Frederick Bentel came from Germany and settled in Harmony,
Pennsylvania, later removing to Zelienople, same state. He was a clock
maker by trade, but he also devoted considerable time to the trade of black-
smithing, being highly proficient in both lines of work. He was a Lutheran
in religion, as was also his wife, name unknown, who bore him five children,
namely : Eckart. Jacob, Catherine, , married George Albert ; Eranius.
(II) Eckart Bentel, son of Frederick Bentel, was born, it is believed,
in Butler county, Pennsylvania. He was a merchant of that county, highly
successful in his undertaking. He married (first) Sarah Pollett, who
bore him seven children: Thornley, Amelia, Frederick, Eckart, Hannah,
Mary, Sarah. He married (second) Jane S. Philipps, who bore him nine
children: Garrett T.. Grant M., Eranius E., Addie, Bessie, Charles W.,
Wilhimina, Grant, an infant who died unnamed. After the death of Mr.
Bentel his widow married (second) William Strutt who is now deceased:
no children by this marriage.
(Ill) Charles W. Bentel, son of Ekart and Jane S. (Philipps) Bentel,
was born in Butler county, Pennsylvania, December i8, 1861. He attended
the public schools of his native county, acquiring a practical education
which thoroughly equipped him for the active business career with which
he has since been identified. Upon leaving school he found employment
of various kinds in mercantile life, and about the year 1883 started in this
line of business independently at Zelienople, Butler county, Pennsylvania.
He followed this for about seven years and then removed to Rochester,
same county, and established himself as a merchant there. Subsequently he
went to the west for a time, then returned to Rochester, where he again
established himself as a merchant, this time in the meat and grocery line,
and has now been successfully engaged in this for a considerable period of
time. Mr. Bentel is a Republican in his political views, and a consistent
member of the Baptist Church. He married, in 1893, Stella E. Stidham,
and has children : George A. and William S.
The Gray family, now ably represented in Beaver county, Penn-
GRAY sylvania, has been identified with various interests here for some
generations, and came to this country from Ireland.
(I) Robert Gray was a native of Ireland, and came to this country with
his wife and children. He married Martha , and had children:
Boyd; James E. McM., see forward ; John ; William; Thomas; Elizabeth,
(II) James E. McM., son of Robert and Martha Gray, was a farmer
near Brownsdale, Butler county, Pennsylvania. He married Eliza Kirk,
and had children : Boyd, see forward : Mary Anna ; Emilie J., and Sarah J.
(III) Boyd, son of James E. McM. and Eliza (Kirk) Gray, was born
in Petersville, Butler county, Pennsylvania, October 23, 183 1. He was
educated in the public schools of Beaver county, Pennsylvania, and fol-
lowed the occupation of farming. He was a Republican in political mat-
ters, and a member of the Methodist church. He married, June 23, 1857,
Mary Anna, born May 6, 1834. They had children : Eliza Martha, born
April 15, 1858. died February 20, 1893, on the homestead, where she had
been living with her husband, E. D. McCormick: James B., born December
29, i860; William Boyd, see forward. After the death of Mr. Gray, his
widow married (second) Hugh McCormick, and had children: Mary E.,
born July 20, 1870: and Gertrude M., born in March, 1876.
(IV) William Boyd, son of Boyd and Mary (Anna) Gray, was born
at Petersville. Butler county, Pennsylvania, November 27, 1862. He was
educated at the Nickson Schoolhouse, No. 5, Beaver county, Pennsylvania,
and then attended the academy at Rayne. Upon the completion of this
portion of his education, he was engaged in the drug business for a time,
then became identified with work in the oil fields for a period of fifteen
years, leaving this in 1900. He then went to Washington, D. C, where
he matriculated at the National College of Osteopathy for Physicians and
Surgeons, and was graduated from this institution January i, 1907. For
about one year he practiced his profession at Renfrew, Butler county, then
removed to Beaver county, February 20, 1908, where he has acquired an
extensive and lucrative practice. He resides at No. 1428 Eighth avenue,
Beaver Falls, where his office hours are from eight until twelve, and he has
other office hours in Beaver, from one to five and from seven to nine p. m.
He is an independent in his political opinions, and will not allow himself
to be bound by party ties. He is a member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, and of the Woodmen of the World. His wife is a member
of the Methodist church.
Dr. Gray married, February 20, 1900, Melinda Jane, born December
23, 1864, a daughter of Joyce and Angeline (Seaton) White, and they
have had children; Hazel Angeline, born December 22, 1901 ; and Mary
Anna, born in September, 1909.
The Barry family, of Beaver county, Pennsylvania, has been
BARRY prominently identified for some generations with the growth
and prosperity of the county in various directions. Coming to
this country originally from Ireland, they brought with them the numerous
admirable traits which characterize the natives of that land, and have trans-
mitted them in rich measure to their descendants.
(I) Charles Barry, who was born in county Down, Ireland, came to
this country with his wife about the year 1830. He made his home for the
space of one year in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, then removed to
Beaver county, in the same state. There he purchased a farm of one hun-
dred and five acres, and devoted the remainder of his life to the successful
cultivation of this piece of property. He and his wife were members of the
Presbyterian church, and he gave his political allegiance to the Democratic
party. He married in Ireland, Anna Jardine, and had the following named
children : Eliza, married James Marks, and lived in Beaver county ; Jane,
married Zachariah Hall, and also lived in Beaver county ; Ellen, married
William Johnston, and lived in Hopewell township, Beaver county; Mary,
married Joseph Cooper; Michael, see forward; Esther, married Charles
Johnston, and is the only one of these children now living; Martha, married
Colonel Mowry, and lives in Monaca, Pennsylvania; John, died unmarried
at the age of twenty-eight years; James, married Elizabeth Phillis.
(II) Michael, son of Charles and Anna (Jardine) Barry, was bom
in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, August 3, 1831. He was educated in the
public schools of Moon township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, and after
some years of general business experience, engaged in business as a con-
tractor. In this he was very reasonably successful, but in 1850 he aban-
doned this for a time and went to the gold fields of California. There he
amassed a considerable fortune, and upon his return to his native county
purchased a large farm and also resumed his contracting business. He and
his family are members of the Presbyterian church, and he is a Democrat in
politics. Mr. Barry married Margaret Reed Spence, born August 3, 1842,
a daughter of Abraham and Elizabeth (Reed) Spence, of Illinois. They had
children: Ella W., married J. H. Searight, and lives in Beaver, Beaver
county; Wilbert, unmarried, and lives out west; Alfonso, married, and lives
in Oakland, California; Anne Elizabeth, born October 7, 1868, married P.
A. Troutman, and lives in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania; John Calvin, see
forward; Philip, bom March 31, 1871, married Anna Licy, lives in Cora-
opolis, Pennsylvania; Mary, twin of Philip, married Frederick Meany, and
lives on the old farm in Beaver county; Sarah Johnston, married C. L.
McCoy, and lives in Cleveland, Ohio.
(Ill) John Calvin, son of Michael and Margaret Reed (Spence) Barry,
was born in Hopewell township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, February
6, 1869. He acquired his education, which has been a sound and practical
one, in the public schools of Beaver county, and supplemented it by close
observation and well-selected reading. In his youth he assisted his father
in the cultivation of the farm, then engaged in the building and general con-
tracting business, with which he has been closely identified since that time.
He has gained a reputation for faithful and careful attention to all the
details of a contract, and his reliability has gained him a large class of
patronage. He resides in Beaver since 1906, where he is the owner of a
pleasant home at 435 East End avenue. In political matters he is an inde-
pendent, preferring to form his own opinions and not have them laid out
for him. In religious matters he is a Presbyterian. He married, Novem-
ber 16, 1902, Cora, daughter of Charles and Augusta Staub, and has had
children : Elizabeth and Catherine.
The name of Anderson is one frequently met with, both
ANDERSON in this country and in England. It was very probably
derived from Andrew's son, at the time it was found
necessary to adopt surnames.
(I) John W. Anderson was a native of Scotland and emigrated to
America, where he settled in Brighton township, Beaver county, Pennsyl-
vania, and followed farming all his life. He married Margaret Anderson,
born in Ireland in 1791, who came to America in 1798 on the ship "North
America," Captain Caswell commanding. They had children : Louisa, de-
ceased; James, deceased; John, died in Andersonville Prison; William, of
further mention ; and Mary, deceased.
(II) William Anderson, son of John W. and Margaret (Anderson)
Anderson, was born in Brighton township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania,
April 12, 1830, and died April 8, 1891. In his earlier years he assisted his
father in the cultivation of the homestead farm, then learned the saddler's
trade. During and prior to his enlistment as a soldier during the Civil War,
he was engaged in the manufacture of heavy harness for the United States
BEAVER COUNTY 935
Government, for use in the cavalry regiments. He enlisted, September 6,
1862, in Company A, Seventeenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and was discharged
for disability, March 15, 1863. Upon his return to Beaver county, he en-
gaged in the promotion of oil and clay mines, and was identified with these
interests until his death. Mr. Anderson married (first) Elizabeth J. Beacom,
and had children: Margaret, Agnes, Robert and Lola J. He married
(second) Mary Beacom, a sister of his first wife, and had children: Carrie
E. ; Mary; William S., of further mention.
Robert Beacom, father of Mrs. Anderson, was born in Brighton town-
ship, Beaver county, April i, 1807, and died February 19, 1876. His death
occurred on the same farm on which he had been bom, and on which his
entire life had been spent. He married (first) Elizabeth Wilson, who died
in 1841, having had children: Elizabeth J., born in 1832, married William
Anderson, died in 1864; Mary; William. He married (second) Elizabeth
Alexander, born in 1801, died in 1886. No children by this second mar-
(HI) William Stafford Anderson, son of William and Mary (Beacom)
Anderson, was born in Beaver, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, September
25, 1871. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, then
attended the high school. For a time he was then a clerk in the freight
department of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Company, and then
spent a number of years as a traveling salesman. In 1894, in association
with George Robinson Bovard, he established a retail grocery business in
Beaver, which they conducted successfully until 1904. They then engaged
in the real estate business under the firm name of Bovard & Anderson, and
they met with decided success. They negotiate mortgages, loans and in-
surance of all kinds, on both improved and unimproved property. The
large clientele which this business now has is a proof of the satisfactory
methods of business employed by these two young men, who have gained a
reputation for probity and reliability of which any man might well feel
proud. Mr. Anderson, who was formerly a Republican and then a Pro-
gressive, is an independent voter, and has the courage of his convic-
tions. He is a member of the Methodist Church, and of the following or-
ganizations: St. James Lodge, No. 456, Free and Accepted Masons; In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows ; Sons of Veterans. Mr. Anderson mar-
ried, December 9, 1896, Jessie Stafford, a daughter of Milo R. and Emma
(Weyand) Adams, and they have had children: Isabelle, born June 5,
1901 ; Adams, bom January 10, 1903; Marion, born November 17, 1907.
The Anderson family of this review have been resident
ANDiERSON in the state of Pennsylvania for a number of genera-
tions, and they have amply proved their worth as patriotic
and desirable citizens.
(I) James Anderson was a native of Ireland and upon coming to
this country settled near the Four Mile Church. Later he came to Beaver
county, Pennsylvania. He was a stone mason and bricklayer by trade.
(II) William Anderson, son of James Anderson, was born in Beaver,
Pennsylvania, in 1816. At a suitable age he was apprenticed to learn the
carpenter's trade, which he followed for a number of years, then branched
out into the contracting business, in which he was very successful. He
married Mary Barclay, whose father, Thomas Barclay, was a native of
Ireland, and settled near Four Mile Church, and was a large land owner.
Children of Mr. and Mrs. Anderson: James Thomas, of further mention;
Minta D., married Edward Dosh, of Guthrie Center, Iowa, who died in
December, 1910, and she is still living there.
(III) James Thomas Anderson, only son of William and Mary (Bar-
clay) Anderson, was born in Beaver, Pennsylvania, June 29, 1853. The
public schools of that section furnished him with an excellent education,
and when he left them at the age of sixteen years, he worked in the employ
of an uncle on the farm until he was twenty years of age. He then
formed a connection with Harton & Tallon, contractors and builders, of
Beaver, and while with them learned the carpenter's trade. After re-
maining with this firm for a period of fifteen years, he determined to estab-
lish himself in business independently, and in furtherance of this idea
formed a partnership with Thomas Brown, the business being conducted
under the firm name of Anderson & Brown for four years, and after this
Mr. Anderson carried it on alone for about one year. He then formed
a partnership with Frederick H. Cook, the firm name being Anderson &
Cook, this continuing until 1914, when the business was incorporated under
the style of The Cook-Anderson Company, Mark K. Anderson, a son,
being admitted to the firm. The business consists of a lumber yard, plan-
ing mill, builders' supplies, etc. Among the numerous buildings erected
by this company may be mentioned the following: Methodist Episcopal
Church, United Presbyterian Church and Buchanan Building, of Beaver;
Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Passenger and Freight Station, a four story
building, and other stations of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Com-
pany; Federal Title & Trust Building, at Beaver Falls, Peimsylvania ;
churches and school houses at Rochester, Pennsylvania. Mr. Anderson is
a Republican and was one time borough auditor of Beaver, Pennsylvania.
He has acquired a tract of twelve acres of land on Dutch Ridge Road,
where he built himself an ideal home, and is practically living in retire-
Mr. Anderson married, November i, 1882, at Pittsburgh, Rose B., a
daughter of Henry and Martha Kinsey, of Georgetown, Pennsylvania, and
they have had children: June E., married Walter M. Goettman, treasurer
of the Rochester Tumbler Works, and they have one child. Rose Mary,
born December i, 1913; Hazel L., married Allen Stittler, and died May
24, 1912; Dosh, a carpenter with the Cook-Anderson Company; Mark K.,
mentioned above; Mary, died young; Lois, was graduated from the Beaver
high school in 1914.
BEAVER COUNTY 937
Among the families worthiest to be mentioned in this
AND(ERSON history as early settlers, home builders, developers and
producers of the agricultural wealth of the country, and
people of fine personal integrity and influence as citizens, is that of Ander-
son, a name now to be met with in many sections of the country.
(I) John Anderson, the first of the line herein recorded, married
(II) Benjamin Anderson, son of John and Elizabeth (Bigger) Ander-
son, was born June 25, 1773, died December 4, 1818. He married, De-
cember 25, 1798, Mary Campbell, born January 17, 1779, died July 22,
1845. She was a daughter of John Campbell, born August, 1753, died
February 23, 1824, a son of Mary Campbell, born September 9, 1703, died
February 17, 1795. He married, March 22, 1778, Alice, born January 27,
1758, a daughter of Robert Huey, who was chaplain of an English war
(III) Benoni Anderson, son of Benjamin and Mary (Campbell)
Anderson, was born in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, May 27, 18 19, died
November 27, 1874. He was a merchant and farmer in Allegheny and
Beaver counties. He married, in October, 1841, Jane McElhaney Thom-
son, born May 21, 1815, died March 21, 1845, a daughter of Alexander
and Jane (McElhaney) Thomson; granddaughter of William Thomson, a
Revolutionary soldier; great-granddaughter of Alexander Thomson; and
granddaughter of George and Martha (Stringer) McElhaney. Mr. and
Mrs. Anderson had children: Alexander Thomson, of further mention;
Mary E., married John M. Springer; a child which died in infancy.
(IV) Alexander Thomson Anderson, son of Benoni and Jane Mc-
Elhaney (Thomson) Anderson, was born in Independence township, Beaver
county, Pennsylvania, July 11, 1842. He was educated in the public
schools, after which he was engaged in business as a merchant, and also
conducted an extensive real estate business, in which he achieved decided
success, in Beaver, Pennsylvania. He is a Democrat in politics, and a
member of the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Anderson married Susanna C.
Duncan, born August 26, 1839, and they had children: L. Luella, married
William Harper, and has : Mary Luella and Eleanor ; Harry Duncan, of
further mention; Benoni, born May 29, 1873, â€¢i'^'^ â„¢ early youth; Laura
B., born May 3, 1878, married William W. Hamilton and had one child,
Eleanor, who died aged two years.
Mrs. Anderson is a daughter of John Duncan Jr.. born in 1798, died
in 1876. He married, in 1824, Jane Smith, born in 1805, died in 1861, a
daughter of Thomas and Jane (Scott) Smith, the former born in 1757,
the latter born in 1763, died in 1858. John Duncan Jr., was a son of
John Duncan Sr., who was born in 1768, died in 1850, who married Eliza-
beth Moreland, born in 1771, died in 1803, and a grandson of Alexander
Duncan, who married, in 1756, Susanna Wilson. John and Jane (Smith)
Duncan had children : Elizabeth, born near Florence, Pennsylvania, March
lo, 1825; Martha, July 27, 1827; Thomas S., August 14, 1829; Joseph
Smith, July 17, 1831 ; Mary, June 10, 1834; Sara J., September 29, 1836;
David M., June 11, 1838; Susanna C, mentioned above as the wife of Mr.
Anderson; Harriet A., April 24, 1842; Laura V., April 26, 1849. Mr.
and Mrs. Duncan had grandchildren as follows : Lucy B. Orr, born in
Hollidays Cove, West Virginia, August 28, 1848; John D. Orr, June, 185 1 ;
Thomas E. Orr, September 28, 1853 ; William B. Orr, October 22, 1855 ;
Mary J. Orr, July 14, 1858 ; Joseph Reed Orr, October 8, 1861 ; Hattie E.
Orr, July 4, 1864. Ida Josephine Duncan, born in October, 1855; Joseph
Smith Duncan, April 5, 1858. Luella Clark, born September 20, 1855;
John Duncan Clark, April 30, 1861. Lily Luella Anderson, born June 28,
1869; Harry Anderson, June 25, 1871; Benjamin Anderson, May 29, 1873;
Laura Bruce Anderson, May 3, 1878. Robert A. Bruce, born in September,
1873. John Duncan Jr. was a native of Washington county, Pennsylvania,
where he was engaged in farming, and he was a ruling elder in the Pres-
byterian Church there.
(V) Harry Duncan Anderson, son of Alexander Thomson and
Susanna C. (Duncan) Anderson, was born in Hanover township, Beaver
county, Pennsylvania, June 25, 1871. He was educated in the public
schools of Beaver county, being graduated from the high school, then took
a special course at Geneva College, Beaver Falls. In 1892 he engaged in
the insurance business in Beaver, and has since that time been identified
with these interests. He is the special agent for the Prudential Insurance
Company, and is the general agent of the Aetna Insurance Company, of
Hartford, Connecticut. In political opinion he is a strong Democrat, and
in religious affairs he gives his allegiance to the Presbyterian Church.
Fraternally he is a member of St. James Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons.
Mr. Anderson married, April 29, 1897, Mary C, a daughter of James and
Elizabeth H. Wilson, and they have had children: Mary Elizabeth, born
January 25, 1898; Alexander Thomson, March 22, 1902; Harriet D., De-
cember 29, 1905.
This name is variously spelled Calhoon, Calhoun, Colhoun,
CALHOON etc. The Calhouns of Scotland are the descendants of
the ancient family of the Conquhouns and Lairds of Luss.
The original name "Colquhoun" is still retained by some in Scotland, Eng-
land and Ireland, but it is pronounced "Colhoun." The ancestor of the
surname of Colquhoun was Humphrey Kilpatrick, in whose favor the
Earl of Lenox granted a charter of the lands of Colquhoun in the reign
of Alexander II. about the year 1200. , The meaning of the term Colquhoun
is "a seacoasting common or point," with which the former situation of
these lands will agree. Humphrey Kilpatrick Colquhoun married the
daughter of Godfrey, Laird of Luss, in 1392. The Colquhouns and Lairds
of Luss were the most wealthy and illustrious clans of Scotland. The
home of the clan was about the southern shore of Loch Lomond and all
BEAVER COUNTY 939
of this neighborhood is full of memories and traditions which preserve the
family name. Among the neighbors of the Colquhouns were the wild
McGregors of Loch Katrine. These two clans had frequent conflicts, and
in 1602 about two hundred of the Colquhouns were slain by the Mc-
Gregors with many acts of savage cruelty. Sixty of the wives of the
slain Colquhouns took each the gory shirt of her husband on a pike and