John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Genealogical and personal history of Beaver County, Pennsylvania (Volume 2) online

. (page 52 of 73)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of Beaver County, Pennsylvania (Volume 2) → online text (page 52 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Birdie, married Curtis Cass Kennedy (see Kennedy IV).



Of Scotch-Irish descent, the parents of Major David
WARNOCK Warnock settled at an early date near Darlington, Beaver
county, Pennsylvania, where David was born. He was
reared on the home farm and followed farming as his life business, dis-
continuing his operations to enlist in the American army at the time of
the War of 1812, in which conflict he gained his rank, he and two brothers,
Robert and William, being in the force that guarded Perry's fleet when
it was in course of construction in Presque Bay, Lake Erie. He married
Jane Thompson, whose father, a miller, came to Old Brighton about 1820,
was married in Bridgeport about 1823, and later moved to Sharon, Penn-
sylvania. After his marriage Mr. Warnock purchased land in North
Sewickley township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, cleared it, and there made
his home, the buildings that he first erected, log houses of clumsy design,
standing for many years. Here his children grew to maturity, and here
be and his wife passed their closing years. Children: i. Margaret, mar-
ried Warren B. Parkinson, whom she survived. 2. David, of whom
further. 3. Thompson. 4. Martha E., married John McClure, whom she
survived. 5. Maria A., married T. J. Marshall. 6. Robert Q.

(II) David, son of Major David and Jane (Thompson) Warnock, was
bom in North Sewickley township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, February
II, 1825. He spent his youth and young manhood on the home farm, and
was educated in the public schools. Shortly after his marriage he moved
to Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, and there resided until 1867, from 1864
until his time of leaving the locality, serving as county auditor. In 1867
he returned to Beaver county and made his home in North Sewickley
township, being there for twenty-nine years justice of the peace. He was
a Republican in politics, and was a member of the United Presbyterian
church, for many years holding the position of elder. He was a gentleman
of influence in local affairs, highly regarded by his many friends, and lived
a life free from petty jealousies and envy, his genial good nature and frank
willingness that honors should be given to others, disarming completely the
venomous criticism of the class who always desire and yet are never worthy
of preference of any kind. He was looked up to by his colleagues in public
life, and his opinions often suggested a solution of a difficulty or set aright
a matter upon which there had been much discussion.



956 PENNSYLVANIA

Mr. Warnock married, in 1851, Eliza Jane, born in Beaver Falls,
Beaver county, Pennsylvania, daughter of Jonathan and Christiana (Rals-
ton) Evans. Jonathan Evans, a native of Chester county, Pennsylvania,
was an early graduate of Princeton College, subsequently entering the
Presbyterian ministry, and is buried at Brandywine Manor. His wife
was born in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, a maternal uncle. Cap-
tain Hays, a member of the prominent Pittsburgh family of that name,
having fought in the war for independence. She had another uncle in this
conflict, a minister, who met his death at the hands of some Hessian mer-
cenaries. He was a member of the Continental Congress, but owing to ill-
ness was not present at the meeting of that body that ratified the Declara-
tion of Independence. A brother of Christiana Ralston, John H., located
at Sharon, Pennsylvania, and was there employed in a tannery, later mov-
ing to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, following the same line of work. Children
of David and Eliza Jane (Evans) Warnock: i. Horace G., married Helen
Vandervote, and lives in Redfield, South Dakota. 2. David Evans, fought
in the Spanish-American War, contracted disease in the service, and died
soon after his return from the army. 3. Margaret B., married, in 1880,
Samuel K. Kennedy, of Washington county, Pennsylvania, and has one
daughter, Lula Belle, a graduate of the Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania, State
Normal School, a teacher in the Beaver Falls public schools. Mr. and Mrs.
Kennedy reside on the Warnock homestead. 4. Lewis Dayton, deceased,
married Eva Morrow. 5. Jane Elma, died in infancy. 6. John Johnston,
married Olive Daley. 7. Robert Thompson, married Emma Blackburn.
8. Henry Warren. 9. James Charles, deceased, married Minnie Cope. 10.
Ralston King, married Frances Jones. 11. William McClure, died in infancy.



Henry Clay Fry, president of the H. C. Fry Glass Company of
FRY Rochester, Pennsylvania, has for nearly half a century been widely

known as one of the magnates of the glass industry of that portion
of the State dominated by the vast, gray, smoke-bannered city which sen-
tinels the head waters of the Ohio. Mr. Fry is a descendant of ancestors
whose home was in Ireland, but who, like so many of their countrymen,
sought a place of abode in the New World. The children and grandchildren
of these bold and enterprising Irishmen have been an invaluable factor in
the moral and material development of our country, and among them Henry
Clay Fry, of Rochester, occupies a foremost place.

John Fry, grandfather of Henry Clay Fry, was born in the north of
Ireland, and was a scion of a prominent family. He had received an excel-
lent education, and prior to the Revolutionary War emigrated from Dublin
to the American colonies. He was accompanied by his brother William,
and soon after landing in New York City removed to Wilkes-Barre, Penn-
sylvania, later settling in Washington county, Pennsylvania. John Fry
was a contractor and a manufacturer of shoes, and during the Revolutionary
War supplied shoes to that portion of the Continental army under the im-




yyityrLA/vf^KD. ^MA^/



^■(.yyuxyWX



BEAVER COUNTY 957

mediate command of General Washington. At the close of the war he
moved to Lexington, Kentucky, and bought a large tract of land, several
hundred acres of which are now in the possession of his descendants. A
part of the city of Lexington was built on his land. He married Elizabeth
Miller, of Scotch birth. Of this union, Charlotte Fry, only child, was the
mother of Henry Clay. After going to Kentucky, John Fry resided there
the remainder of his life, and at the venerable age of ninety expired on his
own farm, one of the few thirty-second degree Masons at that time, and
his funeral was under their charge. He entertained General Lafayette on
his visit to Kentucky ; the General having been a thirty-second degree Mason.

Thomas C. Fry, a relative of John Fry, the father, was born in 1796,
in New York City. His parents died during his infancy. He served as a
soldier in the war of 1812, being but sixteen years old at the time of his
enlistment. As a young man he was connected with the firm of Curling,
Robinson & Company, glass manufacturers of Pittsburgh, and his later
years were passed on his farm, "The Elms," near Lexington, Kentucky. He
married Charlotte Fry, and among their large family of children was a son,
Henry Clay, mentioned below.

Henry Clay Fry, son of Thomas C. and Charlotte (Fry) Fry, was bom
September 17, 1840, near Lexington, Kentucky, and received his education
in the public schools of his native place. In 1856, being then sixteen years
old, he found employment as shipping clerk with the firm of William Phillips
& Company, glass manufacturers of Pittsburgh, thus at the very outset of
his business career becoming identified with the industry with which his
name was ever after to be inseparably linked. He remained with this
company until 1862, and then, with the patriotism which seems to have
been hereditary in his family, enlisted in the 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry
Regiment, serving until the close of the Civil War.

When peace was restored, Mr. Fry returned to Pittsburgh and became
a member of the firm of Lippincott, Fry & Company, glass manufacturers,
the style being subsequently changed to Fry, Semple & Reynolds. In 1869
Mr. Fry disposed of his interest and accepted the position of general man-
ager for the firm of James B. Lyon & Company, one of the largest and best
known glass manufacturers of that period. But the time was at hand when
Mr. Fry was to enter upon the independent business career which was to
make an epoch in the history of the glass industry. In 1872 he organized,
at Rochester, Pennsylvania, the Rochester Tumbler Company, becoming its
first president. Under his able management this company soon took its place
as one of the largest and best known plants of its kind in the world. The
number of its employees at the outset did not greatly exceed one hundred,
but in 1899 upward of fifteen hundred hands were kept constantly em-
ployed, and the buildings of the company covered an area of more than
ten acres of ground, while its product found a market in all parts of the
civilized world. The reason of this phenomenal success is largely ex-
plained by the statement that Mr. Fry retained the presidency until 1899,



958 PENNSYLVANIA

when the plant was sold to the National Glass Company of Pittsburgh, at
which time he became president of the latter organization. In 1900 he
resigned this position, and the following year organized the H. C. Fry Glass
Company of Rochester, Pennsylvania, a plant which has become one of the
largest and best known in the country, especially noted for its fine quality
of cut glass and its optical specialties. One of the most marked features
of Mr. Fry's character as a business man is his attitude toward his em-
ployees. Never has he regarded them merely as parts of a great machine,
but has uniformly considered their comfort and wellbeing, manifesting a
personal and individual interest in them and rewarding capability and dili-
gence with prompt and steady promotion as opportunity offered. In all the
enterprises with which he has been associated, as well as in those of which
he was the originator, he has ever been the driving force, the impelling
energy, and never on the field of Chickamauga (which was one of the
many battles in which he participated) did he display greater coolness and
intrepidity than in the arena of business.

In June, 1883, Mr. Fry assisted in the organization of the First Na-
tional Bank of Rochester, of which he has ever since been president. The
bank is one of the most flourishing in the State. He is also a director of
the Olive Stove Works, and is interested extensively in property on Chau-
tauqua Lake, New York. For several terms he served as president of the
town council, and has faithfully and often laboriously co-operated with
others in matters affecting the welfare of the city and its worthy charities.
He belongs to the class which is doing the most to advance the real interest
of the city and state, and his high personal character, his large experience,
and remarkably cool, clear and sound judgment give to his opinions and
advice great weight and influence. He is a man of warmly social nature,
and his ready wit — part of the heritage he received from his Irish ancestors
— is always under the control of kindly nature. He affiliates with the
Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and be-
longs to the Duquesne Club of Pittsburgh. He was one of the charter
members of the First Baptist Church of Rochester, and was superintendent
of the Sunday school for twenty-seven years, in which work he takes a
deep interest and to which he is a liberal contributor, believing as he does
that religion is the most powerful of all influences.

Mr. Fry married (first), in 1862, in Pittsburgh, Emma, daughter of
James and Minerva (Scott) Mathews. In 1884 this union was dissolved
by the death of Mrs. Fry, and Mr. Fry married (second) Belle, daughter
of Rev. H. R. McClintock. Mr. Fry is the father of the following children :
Harry C, E. Gertrude, Clara B., J. Howard, and Mabel M.

Mr. Fry has a beautiful home in Rochester, a model of comfort, every
appointment being such as to minister to a refined and artistic taste. His
children, richly endowed by nature and nurtured under the most uplifting
influences, are a joy in the present and a promise for the future, both the



BEAVER COUNTY 959

sons following in their father's footsteps and maintaining the family tra-
dition both in business and citizenship.

Throughout his career, Mr. Fry has been animated by the spirit of
progress, ever pressing forward and seeking to make the good better and
the better best. He has furnished a true picture of the ideal manufacturer,
one who creates and adds to the wealth of nations while advancing his own
interests. The great industrial organizations which he has founded and
developed are monuments to his farsighted business ability, but no less are
they monuments to his philanthropy. He has given to thousands employ-
ment and opportunities for self-culture and self-development, and the
wealth which has come to him he has held in trust for the less fortunate
of his fellows. While increasing the material prosperity of the community
he has labored for its moral and spiritual betterment. Manufacturer, finan-
cier, philanthropist — he is one of those of whom future generations will say:
"The world is better because he lived."



The name of Dillan is one which has been held in high
DILLAN esteem in this country and in Europe where, as well as here,

it is more frequently to be found as Dillon. It is said to de-
rive its origin from Lochan or Logan Delune, or Delion, a descendant of
one of the monarchs of Ireland. According to the Breton annals and
records the barons and seigneurs of Brittany rose in arms against Henry
II. when he virtually annexed their country. The De Leons were the
principal leaders in the revolt, were overpowered, and compelled to give
hostages for their future good behavior. These hostages were sent to
Ireland, according to family traditions, and one of them became the
progenitor of all who bear the name of Dillon or Dillan.

(I) Moses Dillan was one of the early settlers in Enon Valley, Law-
rence county, Pennsylvania, where he died about 1873. He was a laborer
by occupation, owned a small plot of ground with a comfortable house
upon it. His wife was a member of the Presbyterian Church. They had
children : John, of further mention ; Eli and Levi, were soldiers, and died
in the west; Smith, a soldier, died in Salem. Ohio; Miller, a soldier dur-
ing the Civil War, died in New Brighton, Pennsylvania ; Mary White, died
in Akron, Ohio ; another child, died in Palestine, Ohio.

(II) John, son of Moses Dillan, was a farmer by occupation, and
also a teamster. After his marriage he rented a farm near Darlington,
Beaver county, Pennsylvania, (the old Gilliland place), and also engaged
in teaming. In 1848 he purchased about one hundred acres in Big Beaver
township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, and also in Lawrence county, it
lying across the county line. Later he purchased an additional fourteen
acres, and spent the remainder of his life there. He was a staunch Re-
publican, and served in numerous township offices. He and his wife were
members of the Presbyterian church, and he was a member of the order
of Free and Accepted Masons, and of the lodge and encampment of the



96o PENNSYLVANIA

Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Dillan married Jerusha Shannon,
concerning whose line see forward. They had children: Lorenzo Dow,
of further mention; Sirilda, married George Duncan, and died in Enon
Valley, leaving children: Delmar and Callie, both living at Enon.

Robert Shannon, father of Mrs. Jerusha (Shannon) Dillan, was born
in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, November i8, 1799, and died in
Beaver county, Pennsylvania, March 8, 1868. His youthful life was passed
in the locality of his birth and after his marriage, which was solemnized in
Butler county, made his home in the region north of Pittsburgh. In
1828-29 he came to Beaver county and purchased one hundred and six
acres of land in Big Beaver township, continuing in his lifelong occupa-
tion of farming. The farm was partially cleared and was graced with a
log structure occupied by the former owner. Mr. Shannon's first improve-
ment was the erection of a barn to shelter his live stock, and after the com-
pletion of that work, he finished the task of removing the timber and
underbrush from the land. By the time this was accomplished he felt the
need of a new dwelling and caused a substantial frame building to be
raised to take the place of the cabin that had been the home of Mr.
Shannon's predecessor in possession. Before his death he had acquired
two adjoining farms, one of fifty and the other of ninety acres, and had
both under profitable cultivation. He was a Democrat in political faith,
although not a public servant, and was, with his wife, a member of the
United Presbyterian church. He lies beside his wife in the Rocky Spring
cemetery, finishing out with her his earthly residence in the body, while
their spirits are joined in the land of eternal day. He married, in Butler
county, Pennsylvania, Nellie Miller, born February 28, 1797, died in Beaver
county, Pennsylvania, January 9, 1876. Children : Jerusha, married John
Dillan, as above mentioned ; Aaron, born June 3, 1825, died in Beaver Falls,
Beaver county; Joseph, born November 27, 1826, a farmer, married Eliza
Jane Beatty, and died in Beaver county; Samuel, born September 25, 1828,
was a farmer of Beaver county, where he died; Nellie, born June 15, 1830,
married Levi Dillan, and died in Big Beaver township, Beaver county;
Robert, born September 19, 1831, was a farmer of Big Beaver township,
where he died; Mary, born October 2, 1834, married William Baker, a
farmer, died in Beaver county; Rachel, born November 22, 1838, died
young; George, born October i, 1836, a farmer of Kansas, died in that
state; William, born October 4, 1840, is a veteran of the Civil War, and
married Mary, a daughter of Ajalon and Eliza Jane (Perkins) Alloway.

(Ill) Lorenzo Dow, son of John and Jerusha (Shannon) Dillan, was
born on a farm near Darlington, Darlington township, Beaver county, Penn-
sylvania, August 24, 1846. His earlier education was received in the
public schools and it was completed in the Darlington Academy. Mr.
Dillan devoted himself to farming, taking upon himself the management of
the homestead. At the death of his father he purchased the interest of
his sister in the estate, and lived there all his life. He has devoted especial



BEAVER COUNTY 961

care and attention to the breeding of short horn and red polled cattle, and
has been very successful in this direction. He has been an earnest sup-
porter of the Republican party, and has been honored by election to a
number of township offices, which he has filled with a remarkable degree
of executive ability. Mr. Dillan married, October 13, 1869, Belinda E.
Shurlock, a short history of whose family will be found below. They
have had children : John, who was killed a few years ago ; Blanche, mar-
ried George Vonberg; Emma, married Lawrence Merriman; Samuel, mar-
Hassie Hoover; Charles; Lizzie, married J. A. Phillips; Elsie, married H.
W. Lehman ; Florence, unmarried, lives with parents ; George, unmarried,
lives with his parents ; Jane, married Thomas Corey ; Vesta, married Harry
White.

(The Shurlock Line.)

(I) Samuel Shurlock, born in England, came to America when he was
a young lad, and made his home in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania. Later
he bought a farm there of one hundred and ninety acres, on which he lived
until his death in 1897, at the age of eighty-four years. He married Sarah
Thompson, a native of Beaver county, Pennsylvania, who also died about
1897. Mr. Shurlock was a man of quiet tastes, and all the time he was able
to spare from his farming operations was devoted to reading. He was
well informed on all topics of general interest.

(H) Samuel, son of Samuel and Sarah (Thompson) Shurlock, was
born in Big Beaver township, Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, in 1841.

He married (first) Stimson, (second) . Children by tlie first

marriage : William, a thresher and boatman, died at Wampum ; Robert, a
farmer, died at Wampum, Pennsylvania ; Park, a soldier, died in Nebraska ;
Mary, married John Marshall, both died in Beaver county ; two died in
infancy. Children by second marriage: Samuel, of further mention;
Lizzie, married Abraham Martin, and died in Pittsburgh ; John, died at
the age of sixteen years ; Charles, a farmer, lives in Alma, Wisconsin ;
Belinda E. who married Lorenzo Dow Dillan (see Dillan HI).

(Ill) Samuel, son of Samuel Shurlock, was educated in the public
schools, and from his earliest years was actively engaged in assisting in
the management of the farm. He inherited a portion of the homestead —
seventy acres — and has always lived on it. To this he has added an ad-
joining farm, and is very successful in his cultivation of both. He is a
Democrat in politics, and he and his wife are members of the United
Presbyterian Church. Mr. Shurlock married Mary, born near Moravia,
Lawrence county, a daughter of Jonathan Kildew, and they have had chil-
dren : Edward, who is his father's assistant in the farm work ; Walter, a
farmer, lives at Enon, where he is married and has three children : Samuel,
a laborer, lives in Lawrence county; Alice, married William Davis, has
no children ; Matilda, married Harry Hartsoff and lives in West Pittsburgh ;
Rachel, married Walter Blatchford, lives in Hazel Dell, and has one sor. :
Glenn.



962 PENNSYLVANIA

H. Alfred Ellis, a distinguished engineer and citizen of Koppel,
ELLIS Beaver county, Pennsylvania, is of Welsh parentage, though
a native of the United States, where he was born, March 22,
1871, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, a son of Lumley and Elizabeth (Evans)
Ellis. His parents were both born in Wales and married there, and, com-
ing to America, settled in Pittsburgh, where Mr. Ellis engaged in a building
and contracting business for many years. He died in Pittsburgh in the
year 1909, one of the oldest stone and brick contractors there. His wife
is at present living at Diamond, Ohio. To them were born two children —
Annie, now Mrs. John S. Jones of Canton, Ohio; and H. Alfred Ellis,
our subject.

H. Alfred Ellis was educated in the public schools of his native city,
and after completing his general education took up the study of the ma-
chinist's trade and draughtsmanship in the employ of the H. B. Porter
Locomotive Works and the Edgar Thompson Steel Company at Braddock,
Pennsylvania. From 1901 to 1903 he was engaged in installing the me-
chanical equipment in the ordnance department of one of the United States
naval stations, holding during that time the position of master mechanic.
Upon the completion of this task he engaged for a time in business for
himself in New York City, but had not been so occupied for long, before
he received an offer to become the manager of the Wonham and Magor
Car Works, an offer which he accepted, continuing in the position for three
years. About this time the Arthur Koppel Company, a large corporation
of Berlin, Germany, doing a similar business in the United States, found
that it was losing trade to the Wonham Company through the activities of
Mr. Ellis. From the managers of this concern, therefore, there came a
proposition to Mr. Ellis that he erect for them in America a plant similar
to their German establishments in place of the salesrooms which up to
then had been their sole equipment here. Accordingly in 1905 Mr. Ellis
entered into an arrangement with them whereby he became their consulting
engineer in this country, and made a trip to Europe of several months
duration for the purpose of studying at first hand their works there. This
preparatory study completed, he returned to America and set about finding
a proper location for a similar establishment. The task proved one of
difficulty, as Mr. Ellis, after deciding upon a certain location, found it in
possession of ten different owners who were not particularly disposed to
part with their holdings. The desirability of the tract in question is
sufficiently apparent from the fact that fourteen other agents of manu-
facturing concerns had already negotiated for the purchase of it without
success. Despite so many failures, Mr. ElHs did not despair, and after
somewhat prolonged negotiations with the beforementioned owners, suc-
ceeded in securing the site. This location comprised a portion of the
farms of the following men, the value of whose property has since been
greatly enhanced by the erection of the present great Koppel plant there,
and the growth of the town of Koppel — Frank Huffman, the Jones heirs,



BEAVER COUNTY 963

T. E. Balser, Charles F. Mount, Samuel Blair, Milton Smiley, William G.
Beatty, the Beatty heirs and Joseph Tritt. When this purchase was con-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of Beaver County, Pennsylvania (Volume 2) → online text (page 52 of 73)