17, 1819. He moved from Loudoun county, Virginia, to Washington
county, Pennsylvania, where he resided for several years, in 1800 his name
appearing in the assessment list for Hanover township, when he is desig-
nated as "blacksmith." He married, about 1788, Elizabeth English, who
died January 14, 1814. Children of Jonathan and Elizabeth (English)
Potts: I. Joshua, born April 12, 1789, married Catherine Chayser. 2.
Thomas, born February 12, 1791, married (first) Rosanna Jackson, fsec-
ond) Elizabeth Wallace. 3. David, born February ii, 1793, married (first)
Susannah Jackson, (second) Margaret Penny. 4. John, born March 6,
1795, married Rebecca Harris. 5. Nathan, born August 6, 1797, met an
accidental death by burning. 6. Anna, born June 28, 1799, married John
Goodwin. 7. Jonas, born June 15, 1801, married, in 1822, Elizabeth John-
son. 8. Samuel L., of whom further. 9. Mary, born August i, 1805, mar-
ried Osmond Ryan. 10. Lydia, born September 28, 1807, married (first)
Thomas Rowland, (second) John Cain. 11. William, born February ir.
1810, married (first) Cecelia Hurd, (second) Mary H. Morris. \2. Sarah,
born April 13, 1813, died young.
(IV) Samuel L. Potts, seventh son and eighth child of Jonathan and
Elizabeth (English) Potts, was born May 2, 1803, died August 31, 1867.
He was a merchant and inn-keeper, following these lines in Jefiferson and
Harrison counties, Ohio. He married, March 29, 1825, Elizabeth, daughter
of Thomas and Nancy Barnes. Children of Samuel L. and Elizabeth
(Barnes) Potts: i. Nancy, born September 21, 1826, married Dr. A. H.
Taylor ; children : Orville, Samuel, Robert, William, Lizzie, Margaret. 2.
Jonathan Smith, born May i, 182 â€” , married Nancy Vandegrift. 3. Eliza-
beth, born February 9, 1830, died November 8, 1877. married (first) Dr.
A. W. Guthrie, (second) John A. Croskey: children, all of first marriage:
James D., Elizabeth J., William Potts, Ettie. 4. Dilliann. born October 24.
1831, died March 15, 1856, married Ross J. Roberts: children: Elizabeth
E., Samuel R. and Richard. 5. William O.. of whom further. 6. Sarah
C, born May 16, 1839, died March i, 1840.
(V) William O. Potts, fifth child and second son of Samuel L. and
I04 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
Elizabeth (Barnes) Potts, was born September 19, 1836. When a young
man, having completed his studies, he became a clerk in his father's store,
subsequently leaving this service and becoming a school teacher, an occupa-
tion for which his studious nature well prepared him. In 1862 he enhsted
in the One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteers and was
made orderly sergeant of Company A, serving in the campaign of Virginia.
Just prior to the battle of Gettysburg, he was sent to a hospital on account
of disabilities. The rigors of the service and the insufficient nourishment
that frequently fell to the lot of the soldiers broke down his constitution,
and in November, 1863, he was sent to the Columbian Hospital in Wash-
ington, where he was confined by illness until April of the following year,
when he was discharged as unfit for service. Returning to his home he
rested for a time, recovering his wasted strength and regaining his depleted
energies, then obtained a position as clerk in the office of the provost-mar-
shal of his district. Subsequently, from 1865 until 1873. he served Harrison
county, Ohio, as deputy auditor and later as auditor, each for a four-year
term. Mr. Potts married, June 27, 1871, Ella F., daughter of George L.
and Rebecca Wharton. Children of William O. and Ella F. (Wharton)
Potts: William Walter, of whom further; Howard Hathaway, born Janu-
ary 18, 1875 ; Margare.t Reed, born October 22, 1879.
(VI) William Walter Potts, eldest child of William O. and Ella F.
(Wharton) Potts, was born in Cadiz, Harrison county, Ohio, January 25,
1873. He attended school until he was sixteen years old, and at that age
entered the employ of the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis
railroad, in the Cadiz (Ohio) office, remaining with that road until 1892.
In that year he became identified with the First National Bank of Cadiz in
the capacity of clerk, a relation existing until 1903, the years from 1897
to 1903 being passed as assistant cashier. The latter year witnessed his
introduction to the business world of Beaver Falls, Beaver county, Penn-
sylvania, when he assumed the duties of secretary and treasurer of the
Federal Title and Trust Company of that place, also taking a place upon
its directorate. This is not Mr. Potts' first experience with the methods
and transactions of corporations, for during his Ohio residence he assisted
in the introducing of independent telephone companies into the region in
which he lived, being one of the moving spirits in the organization of the
Harrison County Telephone Company, of Cadiz, Ohio, of which he was
secretary. He also played an important part in the reorganization of the
Cadiz Gas Company, now operating as the Harrison Light and Fuel Com-
pany, and remained close to the directors of that company until it was
firmly established upon a lucrative basis. Since taking up his residence
in Beaver Falls he has become a member of the Chamber of Commerce,
and holds membership in the Tamaqua Club ; is also a member of the
Masonic order, belonging to Parian Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons,
of which he is a charter member ; Cadiz Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, and
Beaver Valley Commandery, Knights Templar, being a charter member
in last three bodies. He and his wife are communicants of the Presby-
WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 105
terian church and he is a trustee of the church of that denomination at
College Hill. Mr. Potts, with an ease and grace that are never lacking in
the man who has consorted much with his fellows in responsible capacities,
has assumed a place in the business, social, religious, and fraternal life of
his city that is unusual for one of comparatively recent residence, and all
doors of the city's life are open to him in welcome. He is a Christian
gentleman, competent in every way to be adjudged a representative citizen
of Beaver Falls.
He married at Cadiz, Ohio, February 17, 1904, Maisie G., daughter of
H. B. and Mary Jane (Simmons) Law, her father a druggist of Cadiz,
Ohio. Children: William Law, born March 25, 1907; Richard Bradshaw,
born May 29, 1909,
On both paternal and maternal sides, W. D. Brandon de-
BRANDON scends from pioneer Butler county families. He is the son
of John W. and Ruth A. C. Brandon, both deceased, the
former dying September 9, 1890, the latter January 3, 191 1. John W.
Brandon was a prosperous farmer and a leading man of his day. He
served a term as commissioner of Butler county, was a ruling elder of
Mount Nebo congregation of the Presbyterian church and an unceasing
worker for the public good. In his latter years he renounced the Republican
and allied with the Prohibition party, serving as chairman of the county
committee. He left behind him a memory still warmly cherished by his
family and friends.
Washington D. Brandon was born in Conoquenessing township, Butler
county, Pennsylvania, November I, 1847. When a young man he added the
letter "D." to his name. He remained at the home farm as his father's
assistant until he was eighteen years of age, also having attended the public
schools and Witherspoon Academy in Butler for two years. The public
school he went to was not an efficient one, but the boy improved every oppor-
tunity, and after his two years at Witherspoon was able in 1865, being then
eighteen years of age, to enter Washington and Jefferson College as a
sophomore. He spent three years in college, improving every hour and
refusing to be led into any of the follies or excesses of college life, and was
graduated A.B. in the class of 1868 with honor. After receiving his degree
he taught in a select school for one year.
The law, however, was the goal of his ambition, and in the spring of
1869 he entered the law office of Hon. Ebenezer Mcjunkin, of Butler, at
the same time accepting a position as instructor at Witherspoon Academy.
The following two years he both taught in the academy and read law. In
1871 he passed the required examination and was admitted to the Butler
County Bar. Soon after his preceptor, Mr. Mcjunkin, was elected to
Congress, and during his absence in Washington left his legal business in
charge of Mr. Brandon and another young lawyer, Clarence W^alker. The
two boys vigorously prosecuted the cases left in their care with great satis-
faction to themselves, if not to the entire satisfaction of some of their clients.
io6 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
In 1873 these young men formed a law partnership and as Walker &
Brandon practised until 1875. Since that date Mr. Brandon has practised
alone. His business was a satisfactory one from the beginning of his legal
career, and has continued so through all the forty years that have since then
elapsed. He has handled many intricate cases successfully and attracted a
large clientele of the best class. He has been admitted to all the State and
Federal courts of the district and in each has a large business of an important
character. His practice is general, as is shown by the fact that he is special
attorney of many of the large corporations doing business in Butler county.
They include: the Butler Savings and Trust Company; the Standard Steel
Company and its allied corporations ; the National Transit Company ; and
the Butler Light, Heat and Motor Company.
Outside his profession, in which he is held in high esteem, Mr. Brandon
has large business interests. He is a director of the Butler Savings & Trust
Company, vice-president of the Guarantee Safe Deposit and Trust Company,
is identified with the Standard Plate Glass Company, the Butler Land and
Improvement Company, and other commercial concerns of lesser importance.
He is a keen, far-sighted business man, which attributes, coupled with his
legal ability, render him a most valuable counsellor and an addition to any
In professional life he is rated the soul of honor, and in private life his
character is above reproach. He has been an elder of the First Presby-
terian Church for thirty-two years, clerk of the session for twenty-nine years,
served as superintendent of the Sunday School for twenty-two years, and
for more than thirty years he has been a director of the Butler branch of the
Young Men's Christian Association. He is also a director of the Western
Theological Seminary, Pittsburgh, and at one time he was a member of the
board of trustees of Grove City College.
In politics Mr. Brandon has always been an active Republican, but has
steadfastly refused the many offers of public preferment made him by
party managers. He has refused to consider nominations for County Judge,
State Senator and Representative in Congress, not from an unwillingness to
serve his county and State, but from his fixed dislike for political life, and
his belief that as a private citizen he could best serve their interests. He
holds membership in the State and County Bar associations, and everywhere
his sterling worth and proverbial integrity make him a welcome addition.
Mr. Brandon married. May 27, 1875, Clara B., daughter of James and
Rebecca (Bell) Campbell. The Campbells are a prominent Butler family.
Children: i. Margaret, died January 8, 1904. 2. Flora, married Robert
L. James, an attorney of Pittsburgh. 3. John W., married Helen G., daugh-
ter of Clarence Walker. He is connected with the Butler Savings & Trust
Company. 4. James Campbell, an attorney, associated with his father in
business. 5. Howard Allan.
" !^ fP^/^-a"7s ^Srf^y/y
Â£^^s J^is/^^.ca/ /^^, iV
WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 107
Pittsburgh â€” the city which seems like a Rodin statue be-
CAMPBELL cause it is the unformed figure of achievement incarnate â€”
is a beacon of industrial progress. The reason for this
is not far to seek. It is found in the fact that her chief citizens are men
who work with far-sighted sagacity, who discern not only present accom-
plishment, but also future results â€” men of the type of James John Camp-
bell, present auditor and assistant secretary of the Carnegie Steel Company
and kindred interests. Mr. Campbell is a scion of the famous Campbell
family, so distinguished in the annals of the Old World as well as the New.
The history of the Campbell family in America is as follows: James
Campbell, the grandfather, came to America from Coleraine, county Antrim,
Ireland, with his wife, and settled near Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in the
early part of the nineteenth century, but owing to his ill health in about
fifteen years he returned with his family to his native home.
Joseph Campbell, the subject's father, and the son of James Campbell,
was born in Coleraine in 1835, after his parents had returned from this
country. In 1858 he came to this country and the same year enlisted in the
ordnance corps of the United States army and served continuously until
his death, which occurred in November, 1893. The first twenty-three years
cf this exceptionally long service was spent in Washington in the government
arsenal, and the remaining twelve years at the Allegheny (Pennsylvania)
arsenal, at Pittsburgh. At Washington he was first sergeant through all the
stirring period of the Civil War, and was in charge of the small detail of
men who in the presence of Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, buried
the remains of the assassin of President Lincoln, John Wilkes Booth, under
one of the flagstones of the floor in one of the rooms in the United States
prison at Washington, located at the arsenal. He married Elizabeth Jane
Gamble, who was also of Scotch-Irish stock, and her native place was the
same as that of her husband. She came to America in 1861, and was united
in marriage to Air. Campbell at St. Thomas' Episcopal Church, New York,
in 1863. Eight children were born of this union, the subject being the
second eldest. The family consisted of four sons and four daughters.
James John Campbell, son of Joseph and Elizabeth Jane (Gamble")
Campbell, was born at Washington, D. C, December 6, 1865. He re-
ceived his education in the public and high schools of Washington. D. C.
and came to Pittsburgh in his seventeenth year. He was first employed as a
clerk in a grocery store and later entered the accounting department of the
Pennsylvania Company as a junior clerk. Two years later he was made
clerk and stenographer for a lumber company, but left this position after
eleven months to enter the service of the Carnegie Brothers & Company.
Limited, February i, 1886, as clerk and stenographer to the purchasing agent.
He was transferred to the accounting department in 1889. and the same year
was promoted to chief clerk of a division of that department. In Decem-
ber, 1895, he was promoted to assistant auditor of the Carnegie Steel Com-
pany, Limited (successors to Carnegie Brothers & Company), and January
I, 1900, was elected auditor and assistant secretar}' of the Carnegie Steel
io8 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
Company, the corporation that took over tlie business of the Hmited partner-
ship, and has continued to hold such positions to tne present time. He also
holds similar positions in several allied and subsidiary corporations. On
December 31, 1899, he was admitted to partnership as one of Andrew Car-
negie's famous and favored young partners, in the Carnegie Steel Company
â€” the Titans of the steel world. He is also a director of the South Side
Personally, Mr. Campbell is a man of strongly marked characteristics,
modestly inclined, but in business thoroughly aggressive. One of the most
potent factors in his success has been his ability to foresee results. He has
the clear-cut face, calmly observant glance and friendly expression which
show at once the able business man and the kindly gentleman. His eyes
look you straight in the face, in an open, candid manner, a kindly but critical
and keen glance. Beneath this quiet exterior there is, however, great de-
termination, and in business transactions he gives evidence of a nature which
constantly seeks in action an outlet for its energy.
Mr. Campbell is a supporter of the Republican party, and in church
relations is identified with the Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh. He be-
longs to the Duquesne and Oakmont Country clubs, and to the Carnegie
Veteran Association, a society which was organized after Mr. Carnegie's
retirement from business and composed of Mr. Carnegie and most of those
who had been his partners in business.
Mr. Campbell married, April 23, 1891, Miss Kate Bell, daughter of
William and Sarah (Calhoon) Bauersmith. Children: Sarah Catherine,
and James J. Jr., born October 12, 1903. By this marriage Mr. Campbell
gained the life companionship of a charming and congenial woman. Mrs.
Campbell is a woman who combines with great sweetness and beauty of
character a marked degree of energy and intellectual qualities of a high
order, and is one of Pittsburgh's popular hostesses, the family being promi-
nent in social circles.
It is seldom that a man as active and successful in business takes such
a keen and helpful interest in civic affairs as Mr. Campbell, whose name is
associated with various projects of the utmost municipal concern. Citizen-
ship is to him a term indicating individual responsibility as well as privilege,
and the biographer who would treat of him merely as an enterprising and
prosperous business man would present but one phase of his life history.
In his career he has gained a success that is not measured by financial
prosperity alone, but is gauged by the kindly amenities and congenial asso-
ciations that go to satisfy man's kaleidoscopic nature.
Joseph Lincoln Holmes is a descendant of the Irish family
HOLMES of the name settled in Pennsylvania by Joseph Holmes, a
native of Ireland, who came to Independence township with
his wife, Jennie (McComb) Holmes. They had married in their native
land and after their immigration their entire lives were spent in Indepen-
dence township. He was a cooper by trade, and acquired a tract of land
WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 109
heavily wooded with fine white oak, which he cleared and sold at a hand-
some profit. For services in the War of 1812 he was granted one hundred
and sixty acres of land by the government. A sun dial which he erected
is still in possession of the family. Children : John, Maria, Lazarus,
Rachel, Joseph, George, James, Leander, Milo A.
(II) Leander Holmes, son of Joseph L. and Jennie CMcComb) Holmes,
was born in Independence township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, where
his entire life was spent. Educated in the common schools of the township,
then in a very primitive condition, he early in life forsook the schoolroom
in favor of the workshop and learned the carpenter's trade, specializing in
boat building. In this department of his occupation he became most adept,
and his services were much sought by concerns constructing river craft for
use on the neighboring streams. Later in life he became a farmer, cultivat-
ing the old homestead. He was a member and regular attendant of the
United Presbyterian Church. He married Mary, daughter of Daniel and
Esther (Kane) McCallister. Daniel McCallister was a merchant of In-
dependence township, later moving his place of business to Mechanicsburg.
Children of Daniel McCallister: Mary, of previous mention, married Leander
Holmes; Ella, Jane, Henrietta. Children of Leander and Mary (McCal-
lister) Holmes: Jennie, Margaret, Joseph Lincoln, of whom further; Esther,
Milo, Henrietta, and Elizabeth.
(III) Joseph Lincoln Holmes, third child and eldest son of Leander
and Mary (McCallister) Holmes, was born in Independence, Beaver
county, Pennsylvania, February 22, 1861. He attended the public schools
of the township and also Beaver Academy, completing his education in the
law department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, whence he
was graduated in 1887. Two years later he made Beaver the scene of his
practice and has there ever since continued, guarding the interests of his
large clientele with faithfulness and honor. His legal talents are recognized
in the city, and among his brethren of the bar his reputation is even more
secure, since from the eminence of knowledge they can pass an exact judg-
ment upon his ability. A Republican in politics, he leads the party in his
county as chairman of the county committee, and in local affairs he is no
less prominent, having for twelve years been a member of the town council.
For one term he was also a member of the board of education, and at the
present time serves on the board of trustees of Beaver College. His only
business connection is as a director of the First National Bank, in whose
ruling body his wise and conservative judgment is an important element.
As a member of the town council Mr. Holmes is an energetic worker for
all municipal improvements, giving his hearty support to all such projects ;
in his labors for the party his influence is county-wide ; and of the fruits
of his legal endeavors many have tasted, the combination of his activities
giving to Beaver a citizen of solid worth. He married, September 2t, 1887.
Alice J. Ewing ; children : Hazel and Alice.
no WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
The late John Bonner Semple, member of the banking firm
SEMPLE of Semple & Jones, was for many years one of the leading
representatives of the financial interests and prestige of the
Iron City, and the elements which contained the nucleus of her future great-
ness were strengthened and fostered by no nobler or more loyal citizen.
William Semple, father of John Bonner Semple, was born November
II, 1771, at Castle Dawson, in the North of Ireland, and in 1786 emigrated
to the United States, settling in South Amboy, New Jersey, and later mov-
ing to Trenton, where he studied architecture. About the year 1795 he
came to Pittsburgh, where he worked on the old court-house on the Dia-
mond. He practised his profession until the latter years of his life, during
which he was the proprietor of a hardware store on Wood street, near
Third avenue. By dint of industry, frugality and the exercise of unusual
abilities, he prospered, acquiring a competence and becoming the owner of
what is now the "Arthur Sullivan estate," overlooking the Monongahela
river, a place which was one of Nature's beauty spots ere the advent'of mills
and factories hopelessly and permanently marred the perfection of her work.
Mr. Semple was one of those active in securing the establishment of a
branch of the United States Bank in Pittsburgh, being one of the signers
of the memorial endorsed "Petition from citizens of Pittsburgh for a branch
at that place, 1817." He married. May 16, 1801, Annie, daughter of
Charles and Annie Bonner, the former a veteran of the Revolution, having
fought in all the principal battles of the struggle for independence. Of the
eleven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Semple the following reached matur-
ity : Nancy C, who married John Bissell ; Alexander B. ; William M, ;
Samuel ; Mary C, who married William Woods, M. D. ; John Bonner,
mentioned below ; Ellen L. ; and Francis. The qualities possessed in an
eminent degree by William Semple and which seldom fail to command
success in any enterprise were also characteristics of his brother, Alexander
Semple, a prominent Pittsburgh business man, whose daughter. Miss Mary
P. Semple (died January, 1914), was a member of the Society of Colonial
Dames. On March 8, 1829, William Semple passed away, beloved by his
employees, honored by his business associates and by the entire community
for his integrity, energy and fidelity to principle, and leaving a name which
will ever be held in grateful remembrance.
John Bonner Semple, son of William and Annie (Bonner) Semple,
was born September 24, 1815, in Pittsburgh, and received his education
in the public and private schools of his native city. At an early age he
entered upon a business career, and previous to the great fire of 1845 was
senior partner in the firm of Semple & Parker, one of the leading wholesale
drygoods houses of Pittsburgh. From 1846 to 1854 M|r. Semple was en-
gaged in the hardware business in Louisville, Kentucky, and then went to
Philadelphia, returning after a brief period to his native city. There he
became associated with John B. Jones in the establishment of the banking
house of Semple & Jones, and this connection he maintained to the close
of his life. The firm of Semple & Jones was one of the pioneer banking
WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA iii
houses of the Iron City. Thurston, in "Pittsburgh in 1876," gives the