tivation until about 1894. At that time he entered oil dealings and real
estate operations, and at the present time, besides retaining the home farm,
has wide real estate interests. He has been prominent in the public life
ci the locality and has held all township ofifices, having for eighteen years
been a member of the school board. In religion a United Presbyterian, for
twenty years he was treasurer of the Mount Nebo Church of that denom-
ination. He married Mary E. Owens, of Pittsburgh, East End, Penn-
sylvania, and has three daughters and one son : Zela B., Helen Pearl,
Florence M., Harold McKinnell. During the winter months the family
home is in Sewickley but in the summer their residence is the pleasant
farm in Sewickley Heights township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania.
WESTERN PEXXSYLVAXIA 431
I John Buckley was born in Pennsylvania, and at an early
BUCKLEY date was a resident of North Si<ie, Pittsburgh. He was
occupied as a carpenter during all the active years of his
life. He married Margaret Arberthnot, and among their children were:
James, of further mention; Benjamin, who served throughout the Civil
War, and lived near Rochester, Pennsylvania, where his death occurred in
(II) James Buckley, son of John and Margaret ( Arberthnot j Buckley,
was born in Beaver county, Pennsylvania. He was educated in the public
schools, and was a carpenter all his life in Economy township, where his
death occurred. He married Christina Sala, born in Somerset county,
Pennsylvania, a daughter of John and Sophia (Shoupj Sala, who were
among the early settlers of Economy township, where he was a farmer.
Children of Mr. and Mrs. Buckley : Cynthia, married Nathan McPherson ;
George W., died at three years of age; Christena, married A. M. Davis;
Sophia, married Phillip Fry ; James, died at twenty-nine years of age ;
Nathan, of whom further.
(III) Nathan Buckley, youngest son of James and Christina (Sala)
Buckley, was born in Economy township, Pennsylvania, November 21, 1854.
There he obtained his education in the public schools, and then learned
the carpenter's trade in Allegheny county with his brother-in-law. He
followed this occupation until 1896, when he was appointed road boss in
Leet township, and filled this ofifice eight years. After that he became
street commissioner of the borough of Edgeworth. November i, 1901, Mr.
Buckley entered upon his duties as justice of the peace, and is still in office.
In political opinion he was a Democrat until the second election of Presi-
dent McKinley, when he became a Republican. Mr. Buckley is also ex-
tensively engaged in business as an insurance broker, in which line he is
also successful. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Shields,
and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias.
Mr. Buckley married, in 1874, Susan E. Hood, born in Franklin township.
Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, and they have had children : lona, married
Charles A. McPherson, of Sewickley Heights : Catherine, married G. R.
McDonald, of Sewickley ; Cynthia, married Charles A. Well ; Henrietta.
married F. H. Bowen; Nathan H. and Elizabeth, at home.
The name of Guenther is one which has been mentioned
GUENTHER with honor in the records of this country and those of
Europe. The family originated in Germany, from whence
some of the members emigrated to America at an early date, others coming
in more recent years.
(I) Henry Guenther, born in Prussia, Germany, died in the early
seventies, about the time of the great Chicago fire. He was in the grocery
business in Pomeroy, Ohio, for many years. During the Civil War he
served in Company M, First West ^^irginia Cavalry Regiment. He married
Catherine, born in Pomeroy, a daughter of George Gonder. born in Ger-
432 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
many, a farmer in Ohio. After the death of Mr. Guenther, his widow mar-
ried (second) George Wehe, who also served in Company M, First West
Virginia Cavalry Regiment, during the Civil War. Mr. and Mrs. Guenther
had children: Charles, Theodore, George H.
(II) George H. Guenther, son of Henry and Catherine (Gonder)
Guenther, was born at Pomeroy, Ohio, March 20, 1871, and was an infant
at the time of the death of his father. In due course of time he became a
pupil in the public schools near his home, in which he received a sound,
practical education. Upon the completion of his education he was appren-
ticed to learn the carpenter's trade, an occupation with which he has been
identified in various capacities since that time. He remained in Pomeroy
until 1892, in which year he removed to Pittsburgh, and in February, 1897,
to Edgeworth, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, where he established him-
self in the general contracting business in 1900. In this enterprise he has
been very successful, and has a well established reputation for work of a su-
perior and reliable character. He takes an active interest in whatever con-
cerns the welfare of the community, and was a member of the common
council for a period of three years. His religious affiliations are with the
Baptist Church, at which he is a regular attendant. Mr. Guenther married,
June 10, 1896, Effie H. Evans, of Edgeworth, and they have had children:
George, Charles, Theodore. William.
The name of Moore is of frequent occurrence in Pennsyl-
MOORE vania and other sections of the United States. Both in
America and abroad many of this name have attained distinc-
tion. The family under discussion in this review is probably of Scotch-Irish
(I) George Moore was among the first settlers of Pittsburgh, Penn-
sylvania, and had business connections in New Orleans also, where he died.
(II) George (2) Moore, son of George (i) Moore, was born in Mon-
aca, Beaver county, Pennsylvania, and left his home at the age of sixteen
years in order to follow a river occupation on the Ohio. He became a raft
pilot, and floated large quantities of lumber to Louisville, Kentucky. He
was also superintendent in the lumber camps of G. W. Smith, and during
the time he had charge of the lumber camps he also served as school director.
During the Civil War he transported much lumber for the government.
He was a resident of Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, at the time of his
death. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He married
Magdalene Rowley, and they had two daughters, who died young, and two
sons, now living. Mrs. Moore, who was born in Portland, Ohio, was a
daughter of Henry and Amanda (Buffington) Rowley, who came from the
state of New York and made their home in West Virginia, where he was
a farmer and died. They had four sons who served in the Civil War, and
one of these died shortly after the return home.
(III) William Henry Clay Moore, son of George (2) and Magdalene
(Rowley) Moore, was born in Jackson county. West Virginia, August 7,
WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 433
1859. He was educated in the public schools of Allegheny county, Penn-
sylvania, and at the age of about eighteen years he was apprenticed to
learn the carpenter's trade, which he followed for a number of years. In
1906 he established himself in the general contracting business in partnership
with Mr. Ruehl, the firm name being Moore & Ruehl, General Building
Contractors. They have been successful in this venture and have executed
a number of important contracts, among them : The Emanuel Lutheran
Church and The Church of the Assumption, both of Bellevue. The cause
of education has always had an ardent advocate in the person of Mr.
Moore, and he has served twelve years as a member of the board of school
directors of Ross township. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church of Bellevue, and of the following named fraternal organizations:
Independent Americans; Ancient Order of United Workmen; Protective
Home Circle; Union No. 211, Carpenters and Joiners of America; Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Moore married, September 25, 1884,
Louisa J. Besser, and they have had children : Maude Ethlyn and Marion
Genevieve, twins, born September 9. 1885, the former named deceased;
George Rodorquey, born April 8, 1889, on a fruit ranch in Eastern Ne-
braska; William Henry Clay Jr., born October 22, 1890, an employee of the
Pennsylvania Railroad in Pittsburgh; Eugene Benham, born February i.
1893, an employee of the Pennsylvania Railroad in Pittsburgh; Lee Mc-
Donald, born November 24, 1894, a student in Bethany College, West Vir-
ginia, studying for the ministry.
The Ruehl family has now been in the United States for a
RUEHL number of generations, and its various members have been
characterized by those traits which make of them desirable citi-
zens in all classes of life.
(I) John Ruehl, who was born in Germany, came to the United States
in 1854, and located in Ohio township, Allegheny county. Pennsylvania,
where he bought a farm of twenty acres, and spent the remainder of his
life. He married in Germany, Catherine , who was born in 1807, died
(II) Henry Ruehl, son of John and Catherine Ruehl, was born in
Germany, and received a good education in his native land. He came to
the United States with his parents, and is still located on the homestead
farm, which he has increased by purchase to ninety acres. He was a wagon
builder by occupation, having learned this trade in Germany, and during
the Civil War he was in camp in Tennessee, building wagons for the gov-
ernment. He and his wife were members of the Lutheran Church at
Perrysville. He married Carrie Groah, born in Germany, whose parents
died in that country and she came to the United States at the age of fifteen
years to live with an elder sister, at No. 19 Alain street. Pittsburgh, a piece
of property which remained in the family until 1908. Mr. and Mrs. Ruehl
have had children: John Henry Frederick, born August 12, 1867: Henry
George, of further mention; Katie, born December 25. 1871. married George
434 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
Young; George Leonard, born in 1876; William Ernest, born in 1879;
Theodore Matthew, born in June, 1882.
(Ill) Henry George Ruehl. son of Henry and Carrie ( Groah) Ruehl,
was born in Ohio township. Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, April 10, 1869.
His education was acquired in the public schools, and he was then appren-
ticed to learn the carpenter's trade, in Pittsburgh, completing his apprentice-
ship when he attained his majority. Later he became a foreman for D. A.
Grow, a position he retained twelve years, then held a similar one with
G. A. Cochran until he established himself in business independently. In
1906 he associated himself in a partnership with William H. C. Moore, the
firm name being Moore & Ruehl, and they have become among the foremost
building contractors of the section. Mr. Ruehl lived in Pittsburgh from
the time he left home until 1902, when he came to his present place of resi-
dence at Bellevue, Ross township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania. For
the past five years he has served as supervisor of Ross township, and has
now been elected for a further term of six years. He has always given
his strong support to the Republican party. He is a member of the Luth-
eran Church and of the Knights of the Maccabees. Mr. Ruehl married,
March 8, 1896, Emeline E. Heckel, and they have had children: Walter
Henry, Hazel Alberta, Herbert Emanuel.
John IVIetzger comes of a family representative of the best
METZGER type of German-American citizenship, and possessing the
sturdy, industrious, freedom-loving qualities of the people
of Bavaria, from which country their forebears came. Michael Metzger,
the grandfather of our subject, was a native of Bavaria, passing his youth
and early manhood in that country, and there marrying. He came to the
United States when his son Conrad, the father of our subject, was about
twelve or thirteen years of age. and went at once to Pittsburgh, Pennsyl-
vania, where he settled in what is known as the "West End," and there en-
gaged in brewing. About five years subsequent to this he removed to Etna,
Pennsylvania, still the home of his descendants, and there established a
brewery. His business consisted in brewing ale for sale to, and consump-
tion by, private families, and he continued in this trade until the enactment
of the Brook Law, rendering such brewing illegal. At this time Mr. Metzger
was ninety years of age or thereabouts. Four or five years later his death
occurred. The Metzgers are a very long lived race, a sister of Michael
Metzger being still living, at an age of over ninety years.
Conrad Metzger, the father of our subject, who came to this country
when about twelve or thirteen years of age, was educated in his native
kingdom of Bavaria, and upon reaching this country, began work in a rolling
mill. While he was still a young man the Civil War broke out, and Mr.
Metzger proved his patriotism for his adopted country by enlisting on April
17, 1861, in Company C, Eighth Pennsylvania Reserves. He served with
his regiment for three years and saw some of the fiercest fighting of that
bloody and momentous encounter, taking part personally in some of the
WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 435
most famous engagements and battles oi tlie war. Among tliese arc to be
namcfl the battles of Malvern Hill, liull Run, South Mountain, Antietam,
l^redericksburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania and Laurel Hill. Besides
these and many others, he took part in the Peninsular Camijaign. At Spott-
sylvania he received a bayonet thrust through his left arm, but in spite of
the serious nature of the wound, did not enter the hospital. He was finally
mustered out of service, with an honorable discharge, on May 24, 1865.
After his return to his home he operated a rolling mill in the "West End"
of Pittsburgh until the year 1869. At this date he removed to Etna, Penn-
sylvania, and once more began rolling mill operations, following that line
of business until his death in the year 1892. Conrad Metzger was an ex-
tremely active man and played a prominent part in the life of the com-
munity. He was a member of the Republican party, and was elected to the
borough council and also to the school board, and that in spite of the fact
that he absolutely refused to solicit votes. He was a charter member of
the German L^nited Evangelical Church of Etna, and a very active worker
in its cause. His children were reared in this faith and have ever since
remained faithful to the church. He was married to Eva Poll, also a native
of Bavaria, who had come to America in youth and here met Mr. Metzger.
To them were born eight children, as follows: John, who forms the subject
of this sketch, Lucy, Conrad C, Caroline, Martin. Elizabeth, George and
John Metzger, the eldest child of Conrad and Eva (Poll) Metzger,
was born January 2y, 1866, in the "West End," Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
His parents moved to Etna, Pennsylvania, when he was still very young,
and in that town he was educated. Upon completing his studies he found
employment in the rolling mills at Etna, continuing in this service until the
year 1887, \vhen he formed a partnership w^ith a Mr. Pfaub, and entered
the grocery business imder the firm name of Pfaub & ]\Ietzger. After four
years of this enterprise, 'Sir. Metzger sold out his interest in the business
to his partner and shortly afterwards entered the shoe business. He was
successful from the start in this venture, and continued in it for twenty
years or more, his shop being situated in the same building in which he still
resides. In 1907 Mr. Metzger started in the business which now demands
the largest share of his time and attention, that of the manufacture of steel
forgings. The firm is known as the Etna Forge and Bolt Company, and
from the beginning the business grew enormously. Three years later the
firm was incorporated with Mr. Metzger as its treasurer. So large did the
concern become and so great were the demands it made upon Mr. Metzger's
energies, that, in 191 1, he felt constrained to sell his shoe business in which
he had been engaged for twenty years. Besides his necessary preoccupation
with his business, Mr. Metzger has found time to think of other things,
especially in the conduct of the affairs of the community. He is a staunch
member of the Republican party, and in 1886, was chosen tax collector, a
position which he held to the eminent satisfaction of his fellow citizens until
the year 1895. Though often pressed, Mr. Metzger has steadfastly refused
436 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
to accept any other public offices. He holds membership in a number of
orders and fraternal organizations, among these the Royal Arcanum, of
which he has been the treasurer for the past ten years. He is also a mem-
ber of the Sons of Veterans Society, and a charter member of the Benevo-
lent and Protective Order of Elks, Lodge No. 932. Like his father before
him, Mr. Metzger is a devoted member of the German United Evangelical
Church, and has served for many years upon its board. Owing to a pro-
vision in the constitution of the church, no one is allowed to serve more
than two consecutive years on the board, but as soon as the necessary year
has intervened, Mr. Metzger is pressed to serve again. He has also been
pressed to become the treasurer of the body, but has consistently refused.
Indeed, as time goes on, Mr. Metzger finds it more and more difficult to
give his attention elsewhere than strictly to the steel forging business, which
is assuming very large proportions. Mr. Metzger is in the best sense of the
word a self-made man. As a child he never had many of the advantages of
most children, being unable to attend school for a longer time than to enable
him to pass four grades, and his subsequent success has been due exclu-
sively to his own character, whose integrity is above question, and the cap-
able and unremitting efforts he has made.
Mr. Metzger was married, January i, 1890, to Louisa R. Ochse, a
native of Etna, whe.re she was born. Mrs. Metzger was a daughter of
Henry and Marie (Suter) Ochse, long residents of the town. Indeed, her
mother's family were the first residents of Etna, Mrs. Ochse herself having
been brought there when but two years of age and there having spent her
long life of seventy-five years. To Mr. and Mrs. Metzger have been bom
four children, as follows : i. Raymond John, who graduated from the Grove
City College in the Department of Music, with the class of 191 1. His
course there included the piano and pipe organ, the latter instrument being
now his profession, and he now holds the position of organist in the English
Lutheran Church at West Etna. He is also engaged in the shoe business
with Walter C. Collman, under the firm name of Metzger &l Collman. 2.
Marie Eva, who graduated from the Secretarial Department of the Mar-
garet Morrison College of the Carnegie Institute with the class of 19x3,
and is now employed in a secretarial capacity. 3. Eugene Charles, now
a student in the public school. 4. Emma, also a public school student.
Following the tradition of the family and the example of their father;
the children of Mr. Metzger are all members of the German United Evan-
With the exception of two generations of American birth
BREINING the history of the Breining family is entirely relative to
Germany, where the parents of Christian Breining spent
their entire lives. They were the parents of several children, two of whom
came to the United States. Christian and Casper, the former preceding the
latter by about ten years.
(II) Christian Breining was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, -died
WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 437
in Allegheny City (Pittsburgh North Side) Pennsylvania, November 28,
1908. He obtained his education in his native land, and there learned the
butcher's trade, also working in a flour mill owned and operated by his
father. He came to the United States about 1855 and established in the
butcher business in Allegheny, his store in that city becoming noted for the
excellent grade of sausage there obtainable. He was quick to adopt modem
methods and was one of the first butchers in Pennsylvania to employ a
steam stufifer in making sausage, prospering in his business to a gratifying
extent. Politics never attracted his attention more than to the intelligent
placing of his ballot, but in church activity he found his greatest field of
service, belonging to the Lutheran Church. He married Mary Treser, born
in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and had children : Anna, deceased ; Louisa ;
Minnie; Emma; Sophia; Mary; Bertha, died aged five years; Henry C, of
whom further; Christian, died in infancy; Edward, died in 1912.
(HI) Henry C. Breining, son of Christian and Mary (Treser) Brein-
ing, was born in Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, September 10, 1873. He was
educated in the schools of his native city, and learned his father's business,
being associated with the elder Breining until the latter's retirement, in 1904
assuming entire charge of the establishment. His store is in the Allegheny
market, his father being one of the first to locate in that locality, and Mr.
Breining is the sole owner of a profitable business, backed by many years
of excellent service and a reputation for business methods of the strictest
probity. Until April, 1910, his home was in Allegheny City, but he has since
resided in his present house on North Euclid avenue, Bellevue. Mr. Brein-
ing and his wife are members of St. John's German Lutheran Church at
Perrysville. He married, April 25, 1910, Margaret E. Hammerschmidt,
born near Perrysville, Pennsylvania, and has one daughter, Edith Lillian,
born February 23, 19 12. A son died in infancy.
The available records concerning the family or families
ECKERT bearing the name of Eckert are scanty in the earlier gen-
erations, although the name is found in a variety of forms.
There are families of a like origin who spell the name as Eckhart. Others
make it Eccert, Ecker, Eckart and Eckhert. The name, in these forms and
their variations, is fairly prevalent in Germany and Holland, although it
would seem as if Eckert is the form most frequently used.
John Henry Eckert was born in Necker-Elze, Baden, Germany, and
when his school education was completed, became identified with the butcher
business, as his ancestors in a direct line had been since 1638. He emigrated
to America in 1843, 3"d located on a farm in Beaver county, Pennsylvania.
Five years later he removed to Woods Run, Allegheny county, and there
established the Eckert Hotel, which was later operated by his older sons.
He finally returned to the old farm in Beaver county, where his death oc-
curred. He married Margaret Fry, also born in Necker-Elze. and they had
children : William, killed on the railroad ; Peter, who was in the butcher
business in the Pittsburgh market, is also deceased ; Jacob, deceased ; Henry,
438 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
resides near Monaca, Beaver county, Pennsylvania ; Charles and Margaret,
deceased ; Rosina, resides in Monaca ; John A., of further mention ; child,
died in infancy.
John A. Eckert, son of John Henry and Margaret (Fry) Eckert, was
born in Necker-Elze, Baden, Germany, August 4, 1838. He was five years
of age when he came to this country with his parents, and his school educa-
tion was acquired at the district school at Woods Run and Wakeham Rose
Dale Academy. At the age of ten years he commenced learning the
butcher's business, and has been identified with it since that time. He started
a business for himself in 1862 in Pittsburgh, this being still in existence
under the firm name of John A. Eckert & Son, and has his son, Oscar J.,
associated in business with him. Mr. Eckert is interested in a number of
other enterprises. He was a director in the Diamond National Bank of
Pittsburgh ; vice-president of the German Fire Insurance Company ; treas-
urer of the Building and Loan Association ; and was treasurer of the
Butchers' Association as long as it existed. He is a member of the Evan-
gelical Protestant Church, and was president of the board of trustees for
several years. During the Civil War he was a member of a club which sent
a substitute if one of its members was drafted. When Mr. Eckert first
came to Woods Run, there were only nine houses between Jacks Run and
Washington avenue.- The Fort Wayne Railway was not built at that time,
and Bellevue was laid out in farms of from ten to one hundred and sixty
acres each. To get to Bellevue one had to come by Jacks Run to Beaver
Road, the old Beaver Road now being the Fort Wayne Railway. Mr.
Eckert lived in Pleasant Valley during the greater part of his married life,
until he came to Bellevue in 1901, and erected the beautiful house which is