John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 12 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 12 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tendants of the Arndt Reformed church. His
wife was Sarah A. Walter, born in Palmer town-
ship. Their children were Willis, Asher (de-
ceased), Howard, John, deceased, and Cera.
Airs. Folkenson died in 1877.

Howard, third child and third son of Jacob
and Sarah (^^'alter) Folkenson, was born in
Palmer township in Alarch, 1864. He received
his education in the public schools of Easton, and,
following the family tradition, learned the car-
penter's trade. He worked at the bench as a
journevman up to 1890, when he opened business
for himself, and soon became known as one of
the largest and most enterprising contractors of
Easton. He has erected some of the most sub-
stantial and useful buildings in that city. Among
these are the C. K. Williams plant, and the Edi-



62



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



son Electric Light plant. His interests are broad
enough to include all things pertaining to the
public welfare. He was a member of the school
board in Easton from 1894 to 1896.

In 1885 he married Mary A. Hughes, a na-
tive of Wales, and the daughter of William
Hughes of Bangor, Northampton county, Penn-
sylvania. Five children have been born to them :
Claude H., Karl T., May (deceased), Helen and
Myra.

J. W. H. KNERR, M. D. In his life work
Dr, J. W. H. Knerr has not only gained distinc-
tion, but has also made his services of the great-
est benefit to his fellow men, thereby winning
their gratitude and respect. His knowledge of
the science of medicine and his skill in the appli-
cation of remedial agencies has gained him suc-
cess, while his pleasant disposition, his genial
manner and broad sympathy have made him pop-
ular both among his patients and those whom he
meets socially.

His paternal grandfather, Andrew Knerr, was
a soldier of the war of 1812, and did valiant and
active service on Lake Erie under command of
Commodore Ferry in one of the most brilliant
naval engagements known to history. He lived
an upright life, and his interest in his fellow men
led him to put forth active effort in support of
measures and movements for the public good. He
married a Miss Leibig. who like her husband was
born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, and to them
were born two sons, George and John A.

The latter, the father of Dr. Knerr, was born
in Lehigh county, in 18 1 5, and became a mill-
wright, which trade he followed until he met with
an accident that incapacitated him for further
effort in that direction, and rendered him an in-
valid for fourteen years. In 1845 be removed to
Comn, Whiteside county, Illinois, where he re-
mained for two years, and then returned to his na-
tive state, settling at Sigfried's P.ridge, whence he
afterward went to Mount Bethel, where he acted
as superintendent of the works of Joseph Howell
for four years. He next accepted a position as
superintendent of the glue factory of Sandt &
Fleming, acting in that capacity until 1858. Mr.



Knerr was a selfmade man in the truest and best
sense of the term. He not only gained success
through his energetic and enterprising business
career, but also won a good education with few
school privileges, and so disciplined and devel-
oped his mental powers that he could readily
grasp and analyze complex and intricate ques-
tions. He belonged to Council No. 13 of the
Senior Order of American Mechanics, and for
long years he was a faithful and devoted member
of the German Reformed church, and was the
first superintendent of the Levan Sunday-school,
believing in the great efficacy of Christian educa-
tion in youth as a foundation upon which to de-
velop an honorable manhood and build an upright
character.

John A. Knerr was united in marriage to Miss
Sarah Music, a daughter of A. M. ]\Iusic, the
wedding being celebrated in 1840. Their family
numbered four children: J. W. H.,' James E.,
Joseph H., and Albert F. The last named died
May 3, 1855, and James passed away on the 22d
of February, 1884. The father's death occurred
August 14, 1880, and the mother died in Sep-
tember, 1884.

Dr. Knerr was born in Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, August 14, 1843, attended the com-
mon schools near his home, and continued his ed-
ucation in the Easton high school. He then be-
gan learning the machinist's trade, which he fol-
lowed for a short time, and in 1862, when his
country needed men loyal and true to her consti-
tution and flag, he offered his services in de-
fense of the L^nion. He was enrolled as a private
in Company K, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth
] Pennsylvania \^olunteer Infantry, and served
faithfully and well for his term of nine months,
after which he was honorably discharged in June,
1863. He participated in the battles of Chan-
cellorsville, Fredericksburg, and Shepardstown.
On his return to civil life he again entered the
shops, and applied his attention and energies to
the duties assigned him. The roll of the drum
and the boom of the cannon, however, again so
aroused his patriotic nature that he re-enlisted,
this time becoming a member of Company K,
Forty-seventh Pennsylvania Infantry, with which



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



63



he remained until after the close of the war, being
honorably discharged in 1866.

Once more, upon his return home, Dr. Knerr
took up work as a machinist, and while thus en-
gaged he alsOi began reading medicine under
the direction of Dr. Samuel Sandt, a practitioner
of the allopathic school in Easton. He subse-
quently abandoned his trade, and, devoting his
entire time to his profession, has made a success
of this calling. His specialty is rectal and tu-
morous diseases, and he has been especially suc-
cessful in their treatment, effecting many wonder-
ful cures.

Dr. Knerr married jMiss Annie B. Ja-
coby, who was born in Hope, New Jer-
sey, September 13, 1847. They became
the parents of seven children : Lilly M., Harry
E., Hattie B., Annie C, Sallie M., John J., and
IMary, but the last named is now deceased. In
1888 Dr. Knerr was elected a member of the
school board of Easton, and in February, 1890,
he was chosen secretary of the board, in which
capacity he is still serving at the present writing
in 1903. He has thus been closely connected with
the school system of the city during fifteen years,
and his labors have been effective and helpful in
advancing the cause of education. He is a mem-
ber of Easton Lodge, No. 152, F. and A. M. ; the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows ; Grant Con-
clave, No. 123, I. O. H. ; Saranac Tribe, No. 84,
I. O. R. M., and is a past commander of Lafay-
■ette Post, No. 217, G. A. R. Through his mem-
bership in the last named he maintains pleasant
relations with his old army comrades, and he is
to-day as true and loyal to his country as when he
followed the nation's starry banner on the battle-
fields of the south.

JOSEPH MARTIN. Among the progres-
sive and enterprising business men of Easton,
Pennsylvania, is numbered Joseph Martin, who
is to-day one of the leading grocers on College
Hill, where for the past fifteen years he has been
busily and profitably engaged in dispensing
the best and freshest quality of goods carried by
any dealer in his line in the city. He enjoys a
large and constantly increasing patronage.



His father, Michael Martin, was a native of
Germany, his birth having occurred in Straus-
burg, in 1792. In 1812 he came to the L^nited
States, and first located in New York city, where
he w^as engaged in various ways for some time,
but it was not long before he came to North-
ampton county, Pennsylvania, and purchased a
small property near Sandts Eddy, on the Dela-
ware river, which he improved and finally sold.
Soon afterward he bought another tract of land,
consisting of forty-five acres, and to some extent
engaged in agricultural pursuits. Some time dur-
ing the early '60s he removed to College Hill,
Easton, and purchased the property now occu-
pied by his son Joseph, erecting thereon a num-
ber of dwellings which now belong to his heirs.
As a companion and helpmeet on life's journey
he wedded Miss Elizabeth Junipers, who was a
native of Northampton count}-, Pennsylvania,
and they became the parents of the following
named children : Henry, John, JMichael, Isaac,
Joseph, Charles, Jacob, William, Adam, Lriah,
Sarah A., and Rebecca. Of this number, Sarah
A., William and Henry are now deceased. The
father died in 1883. and the mother passed away
ten years previous in 1873.

Joseph Martin was bom in Northampton
county in 1842, and in early life was en-
gaged in inland navigation as a deck hand. In
this way he visited various cities, wherever his
boat took him. In 1888 he embarked in the
grocery business on College Hill, Easton, and
has since given his attention exclusively to that
line of trade.

In 1865 Mr. Martin was united in marriage
to Miss Delia L. Chase, and to them were born
three children : Clayton A. and Caroline J., both
now deceased ; and Herbert B., who is unmar-
ried, and assists his father in the store. Mr.
Martin is a stanch Republican and believes firmly
in the principles of that great political organ-
ization.

A. SCHUG, the popular alderman from the
third ward of Easton, and an honored veteran of
the Civil war, is a worthy representative of a
familv whose presence has been felt and recog-



64



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



nized in Northampton county, Pennsylvania, since
1752. The first of the name to come to the new
world was John P. Schug, who was born in Her-
zog; at Sweibricken, Germany, in 1730, his wife,
Anna Maria Schug, being a native of the same
place. She was born August 31, 1738, and her
death occurred October 12, 1805, while he died in
August, 1/94- They were the parents of three
sons, Adam, Henry and Peter, and one daughter.
John Peter Schug, the father of these children, lo-
cated in Forks township, about four miles from
Easton. where he owned about two hundred acres
of unreclaimed land which at his death was di-
vided among his heirs, who were farmers.

Henr_\- Schug, the grandfather of our subject,
was born in Forks township, and became a pros-
perous agriculturist, accumulating considerable
property. He owned three large and well im-
proved farms, consisting of one hundred acres
each. As a companion and helpmeet on life's
journey he married Miss Maria Messinger, and
to them were born the following children : Will-
iam, Alexander, Aaron, John, Reuben, j\Ioses,
Elizabeth, Sybilla, Jude (Mrs. Swartz), and an-
other whose name is not recalled. All lived to be
quite old, and Sybilla is still living in 1904. They
were all born in Forks township, and became lead-
ing citizens of the community in which they
resided.

Alexander Schug, our subject's father, was a
prominent farmer of his native township, where
he owned and operated a valuable farm of one
hundred and forty acres. During the Civil war
■one of his sons, Alexander, laid aside all personal
interest to enter the army, becoming a member
of the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Pennsyl-
vania Volunteer Infantry, and was killed in the
battle of Gettysburg. In early manhood he
married Miss Nancy Kunsman, a native of Lower
]\Iount IJethel, Northam])ton county, and they
became the parents of nine children, namely :
(I) Josiah, deceased; (2) Henry; (3) Matilda;
(4) Lydia, deceased; (5) Amandus ; (6) Ouin-
tus ; ij) Alexander, deceased ; (8) Ebezena ; (9)
.Allen, deceased. Seven of the number reached



maturity. Alexander, one of the sons, laid aside
all personal interest to enter the army during the
Civil war,- becoming a member of the One Hun-
dred and Twenty-ninth Regiment Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry, and was killed in the battle of
Gettysburg.

Amandus Schug, of this review, was born in
Forks township, on the i6th of September, 1837,
and received a good practical education in the
common schools near his boyhood home and in
the select schools of Easton. Later he engaged
in teaching for si.x years with good success, and
was subsequently interested in the sale of school
furniture for twenty-live years. He was married,
in 1862, to Miss J\lary C. Gradwohl, who is also a
native of Northampton county and a daughter of
John and Mary Gradwohl. This union has been
blessed with nine children : ( i ) Porter, deceased ;
(2) Tillie; (3) George; (4) Martha; (5) Sey-
mour, deceased; (6) John; (7) Edgar: (8)
Howard ; and (9) Clarence.

i\Ir. Schug was among the boys in blue who
valiantly fought for the Union during the dark
days of the rebellion, being a private in Company
B, First Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer In-
fantry. After three months service he was hon-
orably discharged, and is now a member of
Lafayette Post, No. 217, G. A. R. of Easton.
He has borne quite an active and prominent part
in public affairs, and has been honored with sev-
eral local offices of trust and responsibility. For
six years he efficiently served as justice of the
peace ; was a member of the borough council for
several years ; was borough auditor for two
terms ; and is now a member of the board of
aldermen, having been elected to that position
from the third ward. He is very public spirited
and ]3rogressive, and has ever taken a commend-
able interest in the welfare of his native county
and the city where he now makes his home. Mr.
Schug and family are members of St. Peter's
Lutheran church. He has been a teacher of a
.Sundav school class for thirty-five years, and is
still a teacher. He has ahva\s taken an active-
part in clnu-ch work.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



65



CHARLES D. DETWEILER, wlio is identi-
fied with the industrial interests of Allentown
as proprietor of a large blacksmithing establish-
ment, was born in this city in 1859, his parents
being Charles and Anna (Reinsmith) Detweiler.
The family is of Holland lineage, and was
founded in America b)' the great-grandfather of
Charles D. Detweiler, who on emigrating from
Holland settled in Berks county, Pennsylvania,
where he spent his remaining days. His son,
John Detweiler, was born and reared in Berks
county, and afterward established his home in
Lehigh county. He married Anna Lohrman,
whose birth occurred in Lehigh county. Their
son, Charles Detweiler, father of Charles D. Det-
weiler, was born in Allentown, May 5, 1833, and
was the eldest in a family of five children. The
others are Mary, who became the wife of Isaac
Ganawere ; Tilghman, who is married and lives
in Scranton, Pennsylvania ; and Henry, who mar-
ried and resides in Allentown.

Charles Detweiler was eleven years of age
when, his mother died, and was left an orphan
four years later by the death of his father. He
attended the public schools to a limited extent,
but being thrown upon his own resources at the
time of his father's death his educational priv-
ileges were accordingly somewhat meager. Af-
ter being employed as a farm hand for several
seasons, he entered upon a three years' appren-
ticeship to the blacksmith's trade under Peter
Heller, and when he had mastered the business
he received as his first years wages a sum of
twenty-five dollars and his board and clothing.
He was employed by others until he resolved to
begin business on his own account, and opened
a shop, which developed into the largest estab-
lishment of the kind in Allentown. As the years
advanced, his business increased in volume and
made him one of the successful residents of his
borough. As his sons reached years of maturity
they became associated with him in business, and
eventually became proprietors of the establish-
ment which he founded. In 1890 he built a large
shop at No. 531-533 Walnut street. This is a
"brick structure, two stories in height and forty



by forty-two feet in dimensions. He also ex-
tended his business connections and became in-
terested as a stockholder in several enterprises
in the city, including the Iowa Barb Wire Com-
pany and the Nuding Brewing Company. In
his political views, Mr. Detweiler was an earnest
Democrat, and fraternally, he was connected with
the Lehigh Lodge, No. 83, I. O. O. F. In 1884
he was elected to represent the second ward in
the select council of Allentown for three years,
and his official duties were always faithfully and
conscientiously performed. In all matters of citi-
zenship he was progressive and public-spirited,
and he took just pride in the growth and develop-
ment of Allentown, witnessing its substantial up-
building for many years. His death occurred
in 1902.

In March, 1855, he married Miss Anna Rein-
smith, a native of Lehigh county, and a daugh-
ter of Peter Reinsmith, who was born in White-
hall township, this county. Mr. and INIrs. Det-
weiler became the parents of five children:
Charles D. : Flora, who became the wife of Will-
iam J. Fenstermacher, and has two children,
Charles and Harry ; George, who married Mary
Hillegos ; Robert, who married Annie Avery, and
has one child, Anna; and Harry, who died at
the age of twenty-seven years.

Charles D. Detweiler, the eldest son of Charles
and Anna (Reinsmith) Detweiler, attended the
public schools, and also pursued a course in a
business college. He afterward began working
for his father, spending three years in learning
the blacksmith's trade. His business connection
with his father continued until the latter's death
in 1902, covering a period of twenty-six years.
He and his brother George then continued the
business until 1903, when the partnership was
dissolved, and Charles D. Detweiler purchased
the place which he now occupies, while George
Detweiler continued business at the old location.
Since going alone ]Mr. Detweiler of this
review has been very successful, having
a large patronage, which makes his busi-
ness a profitable one and his long con-
nection with the trade, as well as his capability.



66



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



makes him one of the leading representatives of
this line of activity in Allentown. In politics,
Charles D. Detweiler is an independent Democrat,
and he and his family are connected with the Re-
formed church.

He married Miss Emma Bickel, a daughter of
Edwin and Caroline (Fischer) Bickel, whose
children were Louisa, wife of Martin Klinger, by
whom she has one child, Eva ; Charles, who mar-
Anna — — of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and now
lives in Philadelphia with his wife and two chil-
dren, Charles and Hellen ; and Emma, the wife of
Charles D. Detweiler. There are two children by
this marriage : Florence and Edgar, the former
ihe wife of Edward Tuttle.

ROBERT JACOB YEAGER, a retired citi-
zen of Allentown, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania,
is a native of the city in which he now resides,
the eldest son of the Rev. Joshua and Maria
(Grim) Yeager, the former named being a son
of the Rev. John Conrad and Barbara (Smith)
Yeager, and the latter a daughter of Jacob and
JMary (Shimer) Grim. The Rev. Joshua and
'Maria (Grim) Yeager were the parents of five
■ children, namely: i. Robert Jacob, mentioned
hereinafter. 2. Amanda, who married Josiah
Reem, and their child Effie became the wife of
Mr. Osborne, no issue. 3. Dr. Theodore, who
married Emma Wilson, and they are the parents
• of two children — Minnie, wife of Mr. Nicholas,
' and mother of one child, Isabella, they reside in
Chicago, Illinois; and Dr. Norton Yeager, un-
married. 4. Anna Maria, who became the wife
of Josiah Reem, (above), and their daughter
Annette is unmarried and resides in Chicago, Illi-
nois. 5. Sarah Ann, who died in infancy.

Robert J. Yeager received his education in
the public schools of Allentown, and after com-
pleting his studies entered the firm of Yeager &
Weidner as clerk, to learn the mercantile business.
He remained in their employ for several years,
later was actively identified with the business con-
ducted bv Robert S. Brown, and subsequently
purchased a farm of forty acres which was de-
voted to the production of general farming prod-



ucts. This property was in what is now known
as the Tenth Ward of Allentown, and the greater
part of it has been sold for building purposes,
Mr. Yeager realizing a goodly profit from the
sale thereof. He conducted his farm successfully
for a number of years, after which he retired from
active labor, and is now enjoying the ease and
comfort which should be the natural sequence of
years of arduous and unremitting toil. He ad-
heres to the doctrines of the Lutheran church,
and is firm in his advocacy of the principles of
Republicanism.

Mr. Yeager was united in marriage to Ma-
tilda Deily, of Hanover township, Pennsylvania,
and three children were the issue of this union :
I. Albert Jacob, who married Lida Barrett, no
issue ; he was instantly killed in a trolley acci-
dent on Lehigh Mountain, on the Philadelphia
& Lehigh Traction Railroad, he was in a run-
away car, his wife being with him and received
injuries that caused her death after four weeks
of sufi'ering. 2. Andrew Lincoln, mentioned in
the following paragraph. 3. Elenore, who died
in infancy. Matilda (Deily) Yeager is one of
eight children born to Jacob and Mary (Geisein-
ger) Deily, namely : i. Sarah, wife of Rudolphus
Kent, and mother of three children — Jacob, a
graduate of West Point, participated in the Cu-
ban war, now retired ; Mary, unmarried ; John,
married, and resides in Philadelphia. 2. George,
who married Eliza Fogle, and their children are
George, unmarried ; and Mary, wife of Peter
Laubach. 3. Franklin, who married Sarah
Desch, and their daughter Amelia became the
wife of Charles Milson, M. D., and is the mother
of four children. 4. Solomon, who died unmar-
ried. 5. Maria, who became the wife of Samuel
Culver, and their children are : Mary, wife of
Mr. Weikle, and mother of one child ; Jacob, who
married Florence Heller, and they are the par-
ents of one child ; Rudolph, deceased ; Frank, who
married and one child was born to him ; Eliza-
beth, wife of Harry Beidel; Matilda, wife of
Henry Schnurman, and mother of two children ;
and Amanda, wife of Allan Drcsher, and mother
of two children. 6. Eliza, wife of Daniel Levan,



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



67



and their son Daniel married Miss Leh ; no issue.
7. Matilda, above referred to as the wife of Rob-
ert J. Yeager. 8. Clara, who became the wife of
Edward Brown, and their son Harry married Mil-
lie Trumbauer, and they are the parents of two
■children, Allen and Annie Brown. Clara married
for her second husband Frank Medlar; no issue.

Andrew Lincoln Yeager, only surviving child
of Robert J. and Matilda Yeager, was educated
in the public schools, and the knowledge thus ob-
tained was supplemented by a course at a business
college. He learned the trade of cigar making
with Feltman & Schnurman, with whom he re-
mained two years, after which he went to work
■on his father's property and established a truck
farm. In due course of time he added green-
houses to this plant, and now has about five thou-
sand feet under glass. He is making a specialty
of carnations, but at the same time raises a full
line of everything desired by a retail trade, and
devotes particular attention and space to vege-
table plants. He is a member of the Lutheran
church, a Republican in politics, and an honored
member of the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows.

Andrew L. Yeager married Ella Kleckner,
daughter of George W. and Zenia (Newhard)
Kleckner, the former named being a son of Will-
iam and Clara (Quier) Kleckner, and the latter
named a daughter of Abraham and Hannah
(Botz) Newhard. Mrs. Yeager is one of six
children, namely: i. Amanda, wife of Walter
Kuhns, and mother of two children, Winston, and
Charles Kuhns ; '2. Ella ; 3. Francis, who mar-
ried Millie Seeler, and their children are ]\Iartin
and Robert Kleckner; 4. Ida, wife of Nathaniel
Ritter, and mother of one child, Esther Ritter;
5. Clara, wife of Harry Kuhns, and mother of
one child, Marie Kuhns ; 6. Percy, unmarried.

I

IR\\'IN BELL SHELLING, an enterprising
and prosperous business man, proprietor of one
one of the most extensive and select establish-
ments for the sale of staple and fancy groceries,
is a native of South Easton, Pennsylvania, son of
Emanuel R. and Sarah (Paff) Shelling, and



grandson of Frederick and Mary (Farrell) Shell-
ing. Emanuel R. and Sarah (Pafif) SheUing had
a family of four children, as follows: (i)
Charles, who married Alice Sheckler, and they
are the parents of one child, Raymond Shelling.
(2) Clara, unmarried. (3) Irwin Bell, mentioned
hereinafter. (4) Jennie, who became the wife
of the Hon. F. M. Trexler, and their children are
as follows : Edward, Dorothy, Francis, Marion,
and Robert.



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 12 of 92)