John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 18 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 18 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


service he was connected with the Sixty-second
Regiment Ohio \'olunteers, and was with General
AlcClellan before Richmond, and also served
about a year, at the time of the siege of Charles-
ton, before that city. After the restoration of
peace he resumed his practice in Easton. and was
actively engaged until shortly before his death,
when he became a sufferer from paralysis, and
was confined to his residence. He was a man of
strong character, and he bore a full part in con-
tributing to the welfare of the community. He
was for many years a most capable member of
the school board, and he was president of that
body during a large part of his long term of ser-
vice. He occupied a high place in the estimation
of his professional colleagues, and was president
of the Northampton Medical Society.



96



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Dr. Saiidt was married, December 23, 1845,
to Miss Susan Flemming, daughter of Christian
Flamming, of Easton, and of their marriage were
born children as follows: i. C. Flemming; 2.
Mary ; 3. Charles Albert, to be further written
of; 4. Elizabeth, died April i, 1903; 5. Nettie;
6. George F. ; 7. Clara, deceased. Dr. Sandt died
September i, 1902, having survived the mother
of his children, who died July 16, 1894.

Charles Albert, third child and second son of
Dr. Samuel and Susan (Flemming) Sandt, re-
ceived a liberal education, being graduated from
the Easton high school when he was seventeen,
and from Lafayette College in 1872. In the same
year he began reading law in the office of Judge
Myers, and was admitted to the bar in August,
1875. He practiced his profession industriously
and successfully for a period of twenty years
(serving for one term as county solicitor), and
retired from it in 1894 to engage in the emery
manufacturing business, which has since occu-
pied his attention. He is general manager and
treasurer of the Ashland Emery and Corundum
Company, which is largely engaged in the manu-
facture of emery and corundum. A man of ex-
cellent business qualifications, industrious and
persistent, Mr. Sandt is recognized as one of the
foremost manufacturers of Easton, who has con-
tributed in no small degree to the importance of
the city in industrial affairs. In religion he is a
Lutheran, and he is a communicant and was
vestryman of St. John's church for years. He is
a member of the Pomfret Club, and is an inde-
pendent in politics.

Mr. Sandt was married, September 24, 1876,
to Miss Elizabeth Stryker, a daughter of the late
Nelson and Catherine ( Seagcr) Stryker, of Phil-
lipsburg, New Jersey. Horn of this marriage
were the follnwing cliildren : i. Catherine; 2.
Charles Albert, Jr., who was educated in the
schools of Easton and Lafayette College, and
who in now su])erinlendcnt (if the fackson I'jiicrv
Mills; 3. Elizabeth F.

C. Flemming Sandt was engaged in business
wiili liis gran<lfathcr. Christian Flemming, nianv
years. At his death in 1869 he entered the eiuploy
of the late Jacob Fralcy, and served with liini in



the leather business for a period of twenty-three
years, at the end of which time he purchased from
Mr. Fraley his business, which since then he has
been conducting successfully. He is one of the
prominent business men of Easton.

George F. Sandt was a graduate of the Easton
high school, Lafayette College, and Stevens In-
stitute. Hoboken. After the completion of his
education he served a number of years with the
Edison General Electric Company, of New York
Citv. He also served with electric companies of
Denver, Colorado, and Atlanta, Georgia. He was
also general manager and superintendent of the
Ellison Illuminating Company and Easton Power
Company of his native place. He is now general
manager of the Ontario Corundum Company,
Cumbermirc, (.)ntario, Canada.

JOHN SANDT, A. M., M. D., was born in
Forks township, Northampton county, Pennsyl-
vania, June 9, 1822. Fle entered Dr. Vander-
veer's classical school in Easton in 1841, and
Lafayette College in 1844, teaching in Dr. Van-
derveer's school at the same time. He graduated
from Lafayette College in 1846 as second honor
man. He conducted an advance school at the
Trappe, near Pottstown, in the year following.
He entered the Medical Department of the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania in 1847, graduating in
1850. He married Sophia Frace in 1849. He
practiced in Belfast in 1850 ; removed to Stock-
ertown in 1856, and in 1847 to College Hill,
Easton, where he died I\lay 4, 1889. He was a
memlier of the American Medical As.sociation, of
the American Academy of Medicine, and of the
State and Countx' Socities. In the Lcliigli J 'al-
ley Medical Mai;a::iiie, January, 1890, Dr. Seip
says of liim. "Few men treated a greater variety
of cases," "Fie was always able to cull
from his extensive experience remarkable cases
wherewith to illustrate subjects that were under
discussion." Dr. Estes says of him: "^^'llile con-
servative, he was ever abreast of the day. Calmlv
questioning all things new, his educated judg-
ment soon was alile to apjireciate that which was
good. No one could say of Dr. Jolin Sandt, 'he
is an old fogv and behind the times.' "



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL ]\IEMOIRS.



97



HENRY D. LACHEXOUR, :\I. D,, an ac-
complished physician, of Easton, now deceased,
was a son of Dr. Daniel Lachenour, who was for
more than forty years an active and successful
practitioner in the same profession, and whose
fame extended over a wide region.

Daniel Lachenour was born in Salem, North
Carolina, December 8, 1804, and was educated
in the schools of the Aloravian church, to which
he adhered throughout his life. When seventeen
years of age he removed to Philadelphia. He
studied medicine under the preceptorship of Dr.
Abraham Stout, in Bethlehem, and after three
years he entered the Aledical Department of the
University of Pennsylvania, from which he was
graduated with high honors in 1829, his thesis
on Pt3"alison receiving the warmest praise from
the faculty. Locating in Easton, he took up the
practice of Dr. Samuel Gross, whose office was
in a small frame building on the site of the pre-
sent First National Bank. He was entirely
devoted to his profession, and was wholly forget-
ful of self-comfort, journeying long distances and
in the most inclement weather to minister to the
suffering, not regarding whether the patient could
ever compensate him for his services. A warm
personal friendship subsisted through life be-
tween Dr. Lachenour and his former roommate,
Dr. Gross. AMien Dr. Lachenour died, the medi-
cal practitioners of Easton and vicinity assembled
in the rooms of the Young Glen's Christian Asso-
ciation and paid to the memory of their beloved
associate tributes of the most fervent and touching
character. Dr. Lachenour married Miss ]\Iargaret
Henry, a native of Philadelphia.

Henry Daniel Lachenour, son of Dr. Daniel
and ^Margaret (Henry) Lachenour, inherited the
lovable traits of character and professional tastes
of his honored sire. He was born on the family
homestead in Easton, June 18, 1838. He received
his preparatory education in the school of Dr.
Vanderveer, and completed his classical studies at
Lafayette College. He read medicine under the
tutorship of his father, and finished his profes-
sional training in Jefferson Medical College, from
which he was graduated most creditably. He was
subsequently for some years engaged in the pri-
7



vate hospital of Dr. Gross, where through obser-
vation and experience he added materially to his
professional knowledge. Returning to Easton, he
entered into partnership with his father, and this
association was most agreeably maintained until
the death of the parent, whom the son succeeded
in a practice in which both had won the gratitude
and affection of a large population covering a
wide expanse of territory, for their professional
skill and for their excellencies of personal char-
acter which made them the personal friends of
those to whom they ministered.

Dr. Henry D. Lachenour was a man of ex-
tensive reading and widely informed, earnest and
consistent in his views, whether upon profes-
sional, religious or political subjects, yet broadly
tolerant with those who held to diff^erent ideas.
He was absolutely free from professional jeal-
ousy. He was an ardent admirer of art, and pos-
sessed rare gifts of appreciation and skill as a
musician. He was originally a Lutheran in re-
ligion, but in the later life became an Episcopa-
lian. ■ He was an independent in politics. His death
occurred November 6, 1893.

The Easton Medical Society paid the follow-
ing tribute to his memory :

The Easton }\Iedical Society, in special session
assembled, for the purpose of giving expression
to their feelings in the death of their late presi-
dent, Henry D. Lachenour, hereby record :

That each member of this society feels keenly
the grief caused by the loss of him for whom we
had such love and admiration. To know him was
to be attached to him and to admire him.

"His skill as a physician was almost as great
as his honesty ; had it stretched so far, it would
have made nature immortal, and death should
have play for lack of work." His love for his
profession was great, and his treatment of fellow
physicians such as endeared them to him. He
was a cultured gentleman of many polished
sides : and, it mattered little what subject was
being discussed, the fact was soon evinced that
his knowledge of it was far from superficial. He
never advanced an opinion, but that his argu-
ments were replete with convincing theories.

He was a wonderful reader, not only in his
own but in collateral sciences. He was an art
critic, and an excellent musician. In general
literature he was a never tiring student. \^anity



98



HISTORIC HOMES AXD IXSTITUTIOXS.



and jealousy were unknown to him, because he
was broad and liberal in his views. He never had
any desire for public office. His life was gentle,
and found its enjoyment with his friends, at
the bedside of his patients, and in his library.

He died as he had predicted — quietly, swiftly.
Going to his room, "he wrapped the drapery of
his couch about him, and lay down to pleasant
dreams."

Dr. Lachenour was married, July 9, 1874, to
Miss Laura, a daughter of the late Edward and
Margaret Kennedy (Runkle) Stewart. Her
mother was a daughter of Adam and Margaret
( Kennedy ) Runkle. The Runkle and Kennedy
families were among the prominent ones of New
Jersey, and figured conspicuously in the civil
and military history of that state in and after the
Revolutionary period.

Dr. and Mrs. Lachenour were the parents of
three children: i. Margaret Kennedy, who be-
came the wife of Erederick Nesbit ; 2. Laura
Stewart, who became the wife of Erank Gordon
Ormsby ; 3. Henry Daniel Lachenour.

THE SHIMER EAMILY. The first Amer-
ican ancestor of the Shimer family, whose repre-
sentatives are found in Northampton and. Lehigh
counties, Pennsylvania, and in Warren county.
New Jersey, was Jacob Scheimer. The name
also appears on old records as Scheumer, Shey-
mcr, Shymer and in other forms.

Though he settled among the Hollanders and
married a lady of that nativity, Jacob Scheimer
was according to the family belief and record, of
German extraction. The exact date of his arrival
in America, however, is unknown, but it was
prior to 1722, and he settled in Germantown. He
was naturalized in 1730. The early Germantown
settlers arc noted in history for their high stand-
ard of character, education, refinement and gen-
eral thrift. They left the fatherland not only
to better their worldly condition, but to secure
freedom of worship in Pcnn's liberal province. Ja-
cob Scheimer was born in 1679, as ap]5ears in
a record in the old Williams township church
book, which is as follows :. "Anno 1757, der 17th
September ist Jacob Scheimer an der reformirten
kirchen begraben werden, 78 yahr alt." The



exact location of his grave is unknown, for the
slate tombstones placed over the graves of the
early settlers of Lower Saucon have long since
crumbled to dust. The date of Jacob Scheimer's
removal from Germantown is not known, but we
have record of his residence in Van Bebber's
township in the county of Philadelphia about
1729, and in Skippack about 1734. About 1736
he removed to the uplands above Redington, and
his property extended down to the Lehigh river
(referred to in the old deeds as the West Branch
of the Delaware) and included the present site
of Redington. Jacob Scheimer was a Lutheran,
as are the majority of his descendants. He died
in 1757, and his .interesting will was probated
October 15 of that year, and is now on file in the
register's office in Philadelphia, where, thougn
the will is clearl)- signed, "Jacob Scheimer,"
written in German, it is indexed under the name
of Jacob Shinor. Jacob Scheimer was married
twice. His first wife was Margaret Papen, fourth
daughter of Heivert Papen, one of the incorpo-
rators of Germantown. Her mother was Eliza-
beth Rittenhouse, only daughter of William Rit-
tcnhouse, the first paper manufacturer of Amer-
ica. The marriage probably took place between
1720 and 1722. The children of this marriage
were Abraham, Anthony, Mrs. Elizabeth \'icker-
son, Mary, who married Michael Shoemaker;
Mrs. Catherine Young, and Sarah. The eldest,
Captain Abraham Scheimer, settled in the JMini-
sink Country, near the headwaters of the Dela-
ware, where he wedded Lena Westbroeck, in
1749. He became a noted leader and expert
rifleman in the Indian wars of that region. One
of the histories of New Jersey states that he
kept account of the number of Indians he killed by
cutting notches in his rifle stock, and there are
many traditions of his exjdoits with wild beasts
and savages. He is the hea-d of that branch of the
family of which the region about Port Jervis,
New York, is the ancestral home. Jacob Schei-
mer's first wife died sometime between 1728
and 1732. His second wife, Elizabeth, survived
him. The children of this marriage were Jacob
(1734-1764), Conrad, Samuel, Edward ( 1741-
1815), Peter, Isaac (1749-1838), and John.



a
r



X
o

M
c/i

H
W
>

a
o

H
W

r
>

H
W

>

n

o

td

CO



CO
o
o



M

w
W
H

r

M

w



H

o

en




GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



99



Isaac Shinier, son of Jacob Scheimcr, was a
sergeant in Captain Kichlein's company in tne
war of the Revohition, and took part in the des-
perate conflict known as the battle of Long Isl-
and. He survived this engagement, but was
taken prisoner and incarcerated for a time on an
island from which he made his escape by swim-
ming. He was, however, discovered when not
far distant from shore, and was fired upon while
in water, but managed to make his escape.

The sons, Jacob and Edward Shimer, are the
ancestors of nearly all of the representatives of
the name in the Lehigh Valley. Jacob Shimer,
born in 1734, married Rosina Seip, who was born
in Odenwald, Hesse Darmstadt, September 7,
1739, and died in 1822. In the spring of 175 1
her eldest brother, jMelchoir Seip, emigrated to
America, landing at Philadelphia, on the 14th of
September. He settled in Lehigh county. Soon
after IMelchoir Seip's emigration, his father died,
and the widow, with her adult son Peter, her
thirteen year old daughter Rosina, and her eleven
year old son Jacob, followed Melchoir Seip to
Ameria, the ship on which they sailed reaching
Philadelphia on September 22, 1752. The
mother, however, died and was buried at sea.
Jacob and Rosina Shimer had three sons, Peter,
John and Samuel. Peter, through his son John,
is the ancestor of the Shimers of Warren county.
New Jersey. John Shimer founded Shimersville,
Lehigh county, and is the ancestor of the families
of that county, including the Allentown branch.
It is to this branch that the late Dr. Jacob S.
Shimer, of Philadelphia, the genealogist of the
family, belonged. Samuel Shimer, the third son,
is the ancestor of the Shimers who settled near
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, among whom was Gen-
eral Conrad Shimer and other well known men.

Jacob Shimer (2d) died at the age of thirty
years, and his tombstone is the oldest and most
interesting in the old Saucon gravevard. In due
time his widow, Rosina, married Edward Shimer,
the brother of her first husband. In 1775 Ed-
ward Shimer built the large stone house, which
is still standing in an excellent state of preserva-
tion on the old plantation above Redington, and



now belongs to the heirs of the late B. Frank
Shimer. Little is known of Edward Shinier,
save that he was a prosperous farmer, a good
Lutheran, serving as elder in his church, and a
patriotic member of the committee of safetv, rep-
resenting Lower Saucon in the Revolution. For
nearly one hundred years Edward and Rosina
Shimer have been resting side by side in the old
orchard on the home place under large marble
slabs covered with German inscriptions in a wall
enclosed private burial ground. The children of
this marriage were three sons and a daughter :
Jacob (1767- 1 845); Isaac ( 1769- 1838) ; a son
that died in infancy; and Susanna (1776-1863).
The daughter, Susanna, married James Bingham,
of Philadelphia. After his death she became the
wife of Dr. Peter Von Steuben, a skillful physi-
cian and a most interesting character. Tradition
has it that he was a court physician to George
III, but fell from favor because of his sympathy
with the colonists in America then struggling for
independence. He was a relative of Baron Von
Steuben, who came to this country to assist in
winning independence for the nation and com-
manded a portion of the army with the rank of
General. The children of Isaac Shimer were
Charles, Jesse, Thomas, Lydda and Sarah Shinier.
Jacob Shinier (3d), a son of Edward Shinier,
in 1 80 1 built the large stone homestead near the
Lehigh river, about a mile below Freemansburg.
He was a most successful agriculturist, and
devised a method of farming by a proper rotation
of crops so exactly suited to the conditions of the
soil that he was most successful in his work, his
land yielding as much as fifty bushels of wheat
per acre, and this won him a first prize in a state
competition of methods of farming. He married
Elizabeth Beil, or Beyl, who was born in 1772,
and died in 1857. She was the daughter of John
Beil, a prominent citizen of Lower Saucon and
a member of the committee of safety in the Revo-
lution. The children of this marriage were:
John (1792-1878) : Joseph (1795-1878) ; Edward
(1797-1869); Jacob (1802-1871): Isaac (1799-
1863); Elizabeth (1805-1899); Samuel (1807-
1897) ; and Abraham (1809-1881). Of this fam-



lOO



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



ily, John married Mary Schweitzer, and settled
in the village of Shimersville, Northampton
county. Joseph married Catherine Hubler, and
made his home in Mount Bethel township, North-
ampton county. Edward married Hannah Lerch,
and made his home in Fork's township of the
same county. Jacob married Fietta Keck, and
removed to Bath, Pennsylvania. Isaac married
Kate Apple, and established himself in Shimers-
ville. Elizabeth married 2\Iichaul Butz, and lived
in Easton. Samuel married Anna Kuhns, and re-
moved to Illinois. Abraham married Margaretta
Johnston, and remained on the old homestead.

The first five generations of the Shimers were
almost without exception prosperous farmers,
cultivating their own broad acres by the help of
their stalwart sons and hired men, and living in
comfort and plenty in the large stone houses so
characteristic of the German settlements of Penn-
sylvania. In 1812 Jacob Shimer (3d) built an
oil and grist mill at the mouth of the Saucon
creek, and around this as a nucleus grew the
village of Shimersville. His son John in 1824
built a plant for fulling, dyeing and finishing
cloth. In 1837 George Shimer, son of John
Shimer, took charge of the mill and continued
in the manufacturing business there until 1872.
In 1875 the firm of Shimer & Company began the
operation of a foundry and machine shop at
Shimersville. This business has grown to be a
large and important one, and is now conducted
by the firm of William Shimer's Son & Company.
Among the other members of the family prom-
inent as manufacturers was the late Samuel J.
Shimer, and associated with him earlier in his
career was his brother. George J. Shimer, now
deceased, sons of Abraham Shimer. The firm
of S. J. Shimer & Sons novv owns and operates
an extensive plant situated at Milton, Pennsyl-
vania, emi)loying many hundreds of men in the
manufacture oi cutter heads and wood-working
machinery — the inventions of members of the
firm. .V large part of the plant is that of The
Milton Manufacturing Comjjany, manufacturers
of nuts, holts, washers and refined iron. The
members of tlic Shimer family*, in the sixth and
seventh generations arc now very numerous and



widely scattered, and among them are many who
have won success in various lines of business^
manufacturing, and in the professions.

NATHAN D. CORTRIGHT, Sr., was born
at Beach Grove, Salem township, Luzerne county,
Pennsylvania, February 11, 1817. His ancestors
originally emigrated from England, settling in
New York state, on the Hudson, from where they
moved to the Wyoming Valley, being among the
first settlers of that rich and inviting soil. His
maternal great-grandfather, Thomas Dodson,
was a soldier and lived in the time of the Revolu-
tionarv and Indian wars. In one of their engage-
ments he was taken prisoner by the British sol-
diers and carried into Canada. Some time after-
ward he was exchanged or released. He endured
great hardships during his captivity, having to re-
turn to his home through hostile Indian lands,
traveling the whole distance on foot by the Indian
path.

Soon after peace was restored, his son.
Thomas Dodson, volunteered the hazardous task
of going to Canada on horseback to bring home
Miss Abigail Dodson, who was held captive by
an Indian chieftain, having been taken prisoner
along with the Gilbert family from Gnadenhutten
during the Indian wars. He succeeded in rescu-
ing her and brought her safely to her family and'
friends. This was considered a daring feat, and
her relations ever held him in high esteem for this
act of humanity. Mr. Cortright"s paternal
grandfather, Elisha Cortright, was among the
pioneer settlers of the Wyoming \'alley, and dur-
ing the trying scenes of the Revolution and In-
dian wars endured the hardships incident to that
period. Being sick with a prevalent fever at the
time of the battle of Wyoming, or which is more
]iopularly known as the "Wyoming Massacre,"
July 3, 1778, his brother, John Cortright, served
in his stead, and was killed. His name is in-
scribed on the monument at Wyoming, placed in
memory of those who fell at that perilous time.

After the struggle between the Pennsylvania
settlers and the Connecticut claimants, Elishi
Cortright moved to Beach Grove, bought land?,
and made a settlement. He married Huldah.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



lOI



■daughter of Andrew Dingman, of Dingman's
Ferry, Pike county, Pennsylvania. His son,
Isaac Cortright, father of the subject of this
sketch, was born in Hanover, Luzerne county, in
1776, and removing with his parents to Beach
■Grove, Salem township, in the same county, in
1786, grew to manhood's years at that place.

He subsequently married Mary, daughter of
Thomas Dodson, and engaged in farming pur-
suits through a long and active life. For fifty-
two years his wife and he lived together in the
same house, surrounded by many friends, in a
Christian community, with good schools, and in
a neighborhood where peace and social content-
ment reigned, his farm bordering on the west side
of the beautiful and historic Susquehanna. They
were blessed with eight children, namely : Elisha
D., Mabel D., Nancy A., Thomas D., Huldah D.,
Nathan D., Abram D., Rachel B.

Nathan D., the sixth in succession, passed his
•early life upon his father's farm, enjoying at the
same time the benefits of such education as was
imparted at the Cortright school house, which
was located upon a plot of ground donated by
Elisha Cortright for educational and church pur-
poses. At the age of nineteen he removed to
Beaver Meadow, Carbon county, and in the
spring of 1836 secured a position in the corps of
■engineers of A. Pardee and J. G. Fell, civil en-
gineers, who were engaged in building the
Beaver Meadow, Hazleton & Summit railroads.
In the winter of 1838-39 he was appointed the
general shipping and boat agent of the Hazleton



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 18 of 92)