John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 24 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 24 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cated in Easton, Pennsylvania, and became a
member of the firm of Mansfield & Conover,
wholesale dealers in notions, their place of busi-
ness being located on Northampton street, two
doors from the southwest corner of the Square.
After the death of his partner, Mr. Mansfield
continued the business alone and at the same
place; and in connection with this enterprise he
was appointed the first agent in the city of Easton
for the Adams' Express Company. He was a
recognized authority on the detection of coun-
terfeit money, then much more in evidence than
at the present time. Mr. Mansfield won and re-
tained a reputation in the commercial world for
business ability and integrity, took a keen and
intelligent interest in public affairs, and in fact
was a thorough kindly Christian gentleman, who
performed all the duties of life in a conscientious
and faithful manner. Although an Episcopalian,
he was a regular attendant upon the service of
what is now the Third Street Reformed church.

JMr. Mansfield married, April 7, 1842, Theo-
docia Parker, a daughter of William and Ann
Everitt Parker. Their children were — Henry,
deceased ; Mary E., a teacher in the Easton High
School ; Julia, who was married to James J.
Cope ; Fannie, wife of Edwin S. AValton, de-
ceased ; Frank, mentioned hereinafter : and Lizzie
Glover iMansfield. Nathan G. iMansfield, father
of these children, died March 12, 1855. Theo-
docia (Parker) Mansfield was born near
Bloomsbury, in Hunterdon county. New Jersey,
June II, 1819. She was the last survivor of the
ten children born to William and Ann Everitt
Parker. William Parker was a Friend by de-
scent, an amiable and hospitable man of spotless-
reputation, and his two sources of pride were
his resemblance to Andrew Jackson and
his ten Democratic sons-in-law. His wife,
Ann Everitt Parker, was a descendant of Colonel



130



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Joseph Beavers, and of his wife, Susannah Caf-
feray, both Irish Protestants of DubHn. They
came to America and settled in Hunterdon
county. He served as colonel during the Revo-
lutionary war, and at the termination of hostili-
ties entertained the remnant of his regiment for
a week at his "plantation," The copper tea-
kettle which served as his coffee-pot during the
war is still in the possession of one of his descend-
ants. All of his seventeen children attained to
years of manhood and womanhood. Twelve were
daughters, the name of one, Theodocia, having
betn handed down through two generations ; an-
other daughter, Margaret, became the wife of
William (2) Everett, after whom Everettstown
is named. The dissipated habits of Mr. Everett
led to the loss of most of liis property and the
separation from his wife. One child only cast
her lot with his, Ann or Nancy Everett. An
uncle with whom she was a favorite introduced
to her the handsome young "Friend," William
Parker. His approval of the match was still
further shown by a wedding gift of a fine side-
saddle. They were die parents of ten children,
and at the marriage of their oldest daughter,
Ann, to Lawrence Thus, of Easton, Pennsyl-
vania, Theodocia, one of the younger children,
became a member of the Titus family, and re-
mained with them until her marriage, on April
7, 1842, to Nathan Glover Mansfield. The first
years of their married life were spent in Lan-
caster and Harrisburg. Later, with their two
oldest children, they returned to Easton, taking
up their residence at the northeast corner of
I*\Try and Second streets. Mrs. Mansfield's last
home was at "the Point," only a block from her
first. It was there she passed away on the morn-
ing of February 21, 1902, and her departure was
as gentle as her life had ever been. Hers was
that charity which suffereth long and is kind,
envicth not, scekcth not her own, is not easily
provoked, and thinketh no evil.

Frank Mansfield, youngest son of Nathan G.
and Theodocia Mansfield, was born in Easton,
Penn.sylvania, June 14, 1854. He was reared in
his native city, and acquired a practical education
in its excellent iiublic schonls. In 1888 he estab-



lished a wall-paper business which he is conduct-
ing at the present time, it being now the oldest
house of its kind in the city of Easton. By in-
dustry and close application to true business
principles he has won for himself a host of
friends, and succeeded in budding up a perman-
ent and lucrative trade. His store is of brick,
four stories high, and the entire structure is de-
voted to the sale of artistic wall-paper.

On September 21, 1893, Mr. Mansfield mar-
ried May Laubach, daughter of Robert and Mary
E. Laubach. Mr. Mansfield and his wife are
members of the Third Street Reformed church
of Easton, Pennsylvania. He is a charter mem-
ber of A^anderveer Lodge, No. 1105, I. O. O. F.,
and also of Black Knight Commandery, No. 109,
Knights of Maha.

JOHN EVANS. Now living retired, John
Evans is enjoying a well merited rest, for his
career has been one of activity and industry, of
unfaltering honesty and of unassailable reputa-
tion in business circles. Few men are better
known or more highly respected in Easton than
is John Evans, and it is therefore with pleasure
that we present to our readers the record of his
career. He has now traveled far upon life's jour-
ney, for his birth occurred on the 4th of No-
vember, 1815. He is one of the oldest native sons
of Easton, and through eighty-eight years he has
witnessed the progress and development of the
city, taking a helpful part in much that has
pertained to its welfare and expansion.

His paternal grandfather, John Evans, was a
native of Wales, and left that little rock-ribbed
country when a boy. He crossed the Atlantic
in one of the old time sailing vessels, and on
reacning the shores of the new world he came
direct to Easton. By trade he was a miller, and
carried on that pursuit in Easton and vicinity for
a number of years. Later in life he invested his
savings in a tract of land and became a well
known and energetic farmer of ]Mount Bethel
township. He married Miss Jane Searles, and
to them were born four children, who became
good and useful members of society.

A rejircsentative of this lamily was Evan L.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



131



Evans, the father of John Evans. He was born
in Easton, and in liis youth learned the miller's
trade, thus following in the footsteps of his fa-
ther. Like him he also engaged in the milling
business for a time, and then turned his attention
to agricultural pursuits, making purchase of
eighty-four acres of rich and arable land in Forks
township, which he placed under a high state of
cultivation. His fields, being- well tilled, returned
to him golden harvests and the annual sale of his
crops brought to him a gratifying income. As a
citizen he was interested in everything pertaining
to public progress, and in all life's relations was
honorable and upright, commanding the respect
of those who knew him. He and his wife were
charter members of the First Presbyterian church
of Easton, contributing liberally to its support and
taking an active and helpful part in much of its
work. Removing to Providence in order to en-
g:ge in some business pursuit there, JNIr. Evans
died in that city, but his wife, Mrs. Alargaret
Davis Evans, departed this life in Easton. Of
their family of nine children only four are now
living, namely : Mrs. Susan Fleming, John, Mrs.
Matilda Hecht, living in Reading, Pennsylvania,
and Theodore, a resident of JMadison, Indiana.
The maternal grandfather of John Evans was
Barnabus Davis, a native of Wales. He, too,
was a miller and at one time was flour inspector
for the government at Philadelphia. He wedded
Miss Mary Carr, and the}- removed from Phila-
delphia to Easton at an early period in the de-
velopment and progress of this city, their family
numbering nine sons. In his religious faith Mr,
Davis was in early life connected with the Society
of Friends, but afterward became a member of
the Presbyterian church, and his earnest Chris-
tian character commended him to the confidence
and good will of all.

John Evans, whose name introduces this rec-
ord, was reared and educated in Easton, where
he has made his permanent home. He entered
upon his business career as a teacher, and suc-
cessfully followed that profession for five years,-
having the ability to impart clearly and concisely
to others the knowledge that he had acquired. On
the expiration of that period, he accepted a clerk-



ship in the store of Rodenbach & Brother. His
services there were acceptable to those who em-
ployed him, and he soon gave evidence of superior
business qualifications. In 1849, he removed to
Richmond, where he erected a building suitable
for dwelling and mercantile pursuits and opened
a general store. For eighteen years he carried on
that enterprise, prospering in the undertaking,
and the business which he secured came to him
in recognition of his honorable methods and his
earnest desire to please his customers. In 1867,
however, he returned to Easton, where he en-
gaged in bookkeeping for a number of years.
Later he engaged in general merchandising for
twelve years, and in 1890 he retired from active
business and has since enjoyed a well earned
rest.

In 1840, Mr. Evans was united in marriage to
r^Iiss ;\Iary Horn, a daughter of Joseph and
Catherine Horn, of Easton, and granddaughter of
Abraham and Susanna Horn ( nee Susanna Hay,
daughter of Melchoir Hay) ; further mention be-
ing made in the T. A. H. Hay sketch, to be found
elsewhere in this work. She was born in this city
on the 20th of January, 1821, and her parents are
likewise natives of Easton, while her paternal
grandfather, Abraham Horn, was born in Wil-
liams township, Northampton county, and was
one of the old and reliable citizens there. Her
father became very prominent in financial circles,
and for a number of years was cashier of the
Pennsylvania Bank, at Easton. To 'Sh. and ]Mrs.
Evans were born nine children : Edward, who
was a noted physician, but is now deceased ; Ellen,
who has also passed away : ,-Vnna, Pennal, Mary,
Ida. T. W., Joseph, who has departed this life;
and Evan W., who is a successful practicing
physician.

By his fellow townsmen ]\Ir. Evans has been
honored with public office, being called to posi-
tions of trust by those who recognized his worth
and capability. He was elected to the office of
justice of the peace in Easton, and by re-elections
was continued therein for fifteen years, discharg-
ing his duties in a most prompt and capable man-
ner and without fear or favor, and his decisions
were strictly imparital and his course was most



13^



HISTORIC HOLIES AND INSTITUTIONS.



commendable. During that time he was also
chief burgess of Hasten. He and his wife hold
membership in the I\Iethodist Episcopal church,
in which he has served as class leader and
trustee for a number of years. Long have they
been devoted Christian people, and their life
record should serve as a source of inspiration
and encouragement to others. For sixty-three
years they have traveled life's journey together,
sharing with each other its joys and sorrows,
its adversity and prosperity, and now there is no
more honored or worthy couple in Easton than
these venerable people, who are spending the
evening of life happily together.

WILLIAiM H. BUTZ. When, after years
of long and earnest labor in some honorable
field of business, a man puts aside all cares to
spend his remaining days in the business of en-
joyment of the fruits of his former toil, it is
certainly a well deserved reward for his industry.

"How blest is he who crowns in shades like these
A youth of labor with an age of ease"

wrote the poet, and the world everywhere re-
cognizes the justice of a season of rest follow-
ing an active period of business life. Mr. Butz
is one to whom has been vouchsafed a period
of rest after an active and honorable business
career. For many years he was engaged in
milling, but is now living retired.

His ancestors through many years have been
prominent in the growth and development of
that part of the Lehigh Valley adjoining Easton.
Michael Butz, one of the first of the name to
locate in this portion of the commonwealth, was
a native of Germany, emigrating to America
early in the eighteenth century, probably about
1725. He was the great-great-grandfather of
him whose name introduces this record. He and
his descendants secured land direct from William
Penn, and he carried on farming until his death,
which occurred in 1732. He married an esti-
maljle lady nf his own nationality, and tliev be-
came the parents of several children, some of
whom were born in Germany before the parents
crossed the Atlantic to the new world. Amona:



the number was Michael Butz, named in honor
of his father. To him and his wife Alary were
born five children. Michael Butz, the great-
grandfather, was also a tiller of the soil, follow-
ing the occupation of farming throughout his
active business career. He and his family were
worthy people who enjoyed the respect of the
entire community. His son. Christian Butz, the
grandfather of our subject, was born near Easton,.
Pennsylvania, and settled in the Bushkill creek
not far from this city. He was united in marriage
to Miss Mary Wagoner, and they became the
parents of seven children. Most of his sons fol-
lowed the occupation of milling, a business which
they learned from their father, for Christian
Butz was a miller of some note, making fine
flour at an early day. He was also a man of pro-
gressive spirit, believing strongly in improve-
ment. He built a mill and a brick house, and
the latter still stands. Some modern improve-
ments have been added to it, and it is now one
of the substantial and attractive residences in
Easton, although it is now about one hundred
and five years old.

David Butz, the father of our subject, was
born at the family home on Bushkill creek, near
Easton, in 1789, and he learned the miller's trade,
which he followed in connection with farming.
He prospered in his work, becoming the owner
of two farms, and was a man of considerable
infltience in his community, widely recognized
as a useful and honorable member of society.
He wedded Miss Mary Huster, who by this union-
became the mother of nine children, onlv two
of whom, however are living at the present
writing. The sons were John, Christian, Daniel,
Joseph and \\'illiam H. The father was for
several years one of the directors of the Easton
Bank, and his business enterprise and foresight
made him a valued factor in industrial, com-
mercial and financial circles. His death oc-
curred in the year 1827. The maternal grand-
father of Mr. Butz was John Huster, who was
.a continental soldier in the Revolutionary army,
and valiantly fought for the independence of the
nation.

\\'illiam H. Butz, who was born on the old'



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



133



homestead on the Bushkill creek, August 3, 1826,
has spent his entire hfe in this locahty. Like
his father David, and his grandfather Christian
Butz, he became a miller, and attained a high
■degree of skill in the line of his chosen activity,
keeping in touch with the progress of the times.
In 1849 he built the first steam mill in Easton,
■and owned and operated it for a number of years,
but eventually sold that property to a Mr. Jones,
of Easton. Mr. Butz then returned to the old
water mill on the Bushkill, where he did a profit-
able business in milling for more than a half
•century. The flour which he manufactured was
of a high grade, and found a ready sale on the
market. Thus year by year he added to his
capital, continuing his business with success
until 1899, when, having acquired a handsome
■competence, he resolved to put aside further
business cares and retire from active life. He is
now enjoying the fruits of his former toil, his
■competence supplying him with the comforts and
many of the luxuries of life. Aside from the
milling business he has extended his efforts into
•other lines of activity, and has aided in the ex-
tension and improvement of the city of Easton
hy erecting six houses there. His judicious in-
A'estments in real estate have also been profitable
to him, returning to him a good income. He
has served his native city as assistant surveyor
■and assessor, and in public office is always
prompt, reliable and faithful. He is a worthy
member of the Christian Lutheran church, and
his life has ever been in harmony with its prin-
x;iples. He has kept in touch with the advance-
ment of the world, and has been especially in-
terested in what has been accomplished in the
place of his nativity. He has led an honorable
and useful life, prompted by patriotism, actuated
hy unselfish motives, and guided by truth and
justice, and he will be long remembered by the
people of Easton, who are not unmindful of
those who have devoted themselves to her best
interests.

PETER RAUB. To say of him whose
name introduces this review that he is a self-
made man would be to present a statement that



would seem trite to those familiar with his life
history, and yet in a record that will descend to
future generations it is but just to declare that
Air. Raub is a man whose business record any
might be proud to possess. Beginning at the
very bottom round of the ladder, he has steadily
worked his way upward, never incurring an
obligation that he has not met, nor making an
engagement that he has not fulfilled. He has
thus won the confidence and respect of the busi-
ness world, and through his enterprise and
capability in his chosen field of endeavor has
gained splendid success.

Mr. Raub was born in Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, on the 15th of January, 1856, first
opening his eyes to the light of day on the
famil)- home which stood near the Delaware river,
north of Easton. His father, Dr. John W. Raub,
was a physician of the old school, practicing
after the methods of the times. He possessed
much skill for one of that period, and his patron-
age was very extensive, his practice covering a
large area in his native county, and also extend-
ing into adjacent counties. He was twice mar-
ried, and by his first wife had four children:
John, William, Daniel and Sarah, of whom only
the last named is now living. By his second
wife, Sarah Eberhart, he had four children:
Jacob, Peter, Mrs. Transue and Mrs. Kutzler,
all of whom survive. Dr. Raub departed this
life in 1859, and the mother of this family
passed away in 1898. Both parents were de-
scendants of Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry, and
were worthy and useful members of society.

After the father's death, Mrs. Raub removed
with her family to Easton, taking up her abode
in the city in 1864. Peter Raub was then a lad
of eight summers, and at that time he began to
earn his own living, following various pursuits
that would yield him an honest dollar. At the
age of seventeen, however, he was apprenticed
to learn the trade of a brick layer and mason,
and has since followed that calling, at first work-
ing as a journeyman and later as a contractor.
It was in 1883 that he embarked upon an inde-
pendent business venture, and he has since been
extensively engaged in erecting some of the prin-



134



HISTORIC HOMES AND IXSTITUTIOXS.



cipal buildings of Easton. He is thoroughly con-
versant with the builder's art in ever)- particular,
and his skill is manifested in fine structures here.
He gradually worked his way upward, his patron-
age increasing year by year until his business is
now very extensive and profitable.

Fraternally Mr. Raub is connected with the
Knights of Pythias, and in April, 1903, he was
raised to the sublime degree of a Master JMason
in Dallas Lodge, F. and A. M. In his political
views he is a staunch Democrat, and in 1891 he
was elected to the office of select councilman
for a term of two years. In 1899 he was chosen
a member of the common council but after
one year he resigned that position that he
might be elected to a seat in the select council.
He" won the election and served in the latter body
for two years, after which he resigned to become
the nominee of his party for county commissioner.
Popular suffrage again chose him to office, and
he is now (1904) acting as commissioner. He
not only has the loyal support of his own party,
but also receives the endorsement and allegiance
of many of the adherents of the opposition party,
a fact which indicates that his personal worth
has made him a popular citizen. His interest in
his fellow men is deep and sincere, and arises
from a humanitarian spirit which has prompted
his support of and co-operation with many move-
ments and enterprises for the general good. His
career has ever been such as to warrant the trust
and confidence of the business world, and his
activity in industrial, commercial and financial
circles forms no unimportant chapter in the
history of Easton.

In 1879 Mr. Raub led to the marriage altar
]\Iiss Alice E. Laros, a daughter of Daniel
Laros, and to them have been born two children :
Frank, whose birth occurred in 1881 ; and Hazel,
born in 1886.

HON. JOHN STOTZER was one of the
prominent and leading citizens of Easton whose
life has been largely passed in serving the country
of his adoption, and no more loyal son of Amer-
ica could be found than was this gentleman whose
firm allegiance was given to the stars and stripes.



He was born in Berne, Switzerland, in the year
1829, a son of Samuel and Mary Ann Stotzer.
Hie former died in his native countt}- during the
infancy of our subject and the mother afterward
became the wife of Charles Bless, who with his
wife and her child emigrated to this country in
the year 182 1. They located in Northampton
county, Pennsylvania, and Mr. Bless secured
employment in the Catherine Furnace.

Hon. John Stotzer was the only child born of
his parents' marriage. He was reared in North-
ampton county, pursuing his education in the
public schools, where by assiduous study he laid
the foundation for his future usefulness. His
school facilities were somewhat limited, but by
association with men of learning and broad in-
telligence he added to his own knowledge until
he came to be regarded as one of the best in-
formed men of the locality, well fitted for leader-
ship in business or public life. His early years
were spent in boating upon the canal. He fol-
lowed that pursuit until 1847, ""^ which year he
removed to Easton, where he became a clerk in
the store owned by Major Seip. It was in that
position that he gained a practical and compre-
hensive knowledge of the methods of commercial
life, and was thereby fitted to carry on business
on his own account. On leaving Mr. Seip's
employ he opened a grocery store, which he con-
ducted with profit to himself, winning many
patrons and carrying on a large business until
i860. In the meantime his career as a public
official had begun, for in 1854 he was elected
justice of the peace in what was then known as
the west ward. This position he held until i860,
when he resigned, having won for himself a cred-
itable reputation as one whose rulings were
always fair and impartial, "his even handed
justice winning him golden opinions from all
sorts of people." In the fall of i860 Mr. Stotzer
was elected recorder of wills, and acted in that
capacity for six years, subsequent to which time
he became commissioner's clerk, and thus served
for two vears. In 1865 he was elected council-
man, and no higher testimonial of his capability
and lovaltv can be given than the statement of
the fact that he was retained in that office for



I



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



135



eighteen years, and during the last three years of
the term was honored with the presidency. Dur-
ing an interval of five years he served on the
board of control. His public record was above
reproach, ever characterized by the utmost fidel-
ity to duty and the most marked devotion to the
best interests of those whom he served. On his
retirement from the office of councilman he
turned his attention to the real estate business,
and also transacted all legal affairs connected
with the office. In 1874 he was elected a mem-
ber of the house of representatives from North-
ampton county, and served ir. the general assem-
bly for two terms, leaving the impress of his in-
dividuality upon the legislation enacted during
that period. He then resumed his office of con-
veyancer at the same time, becoming a notary
public. He was for twenty-one years treasurer



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 24 of 92)