John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 25 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 25 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the board of directors of the poor of North-
ampton county, and in 1903 was the president of
the board of tax revisers and appeals.

In 1849 -^l^i'- Stotzer was united in marriage
to Miss Sarah C. Dochrodt, a daughter of John
A. and Julia Ann Dochrodt. L'nto this marriage
were born seven children, six of whom reached
years of maturity, while five are still living, name-
ly : Charles \\'., Frank J., Mrs. Emma L. Light-
cap, Mrs. Anna J. Tulmore and I\Irs. Nellie
^\'arne. The mother passed away in September,
1884. after a long and happy married life. She
had gained many friends and her loss was deeply
deplored throughout the entire community.

Mr. Stotzer held membership in Delaware
Lodge, No. 52, F. and A. M., and was a very
prominent Knight of Pythias, having been
honored with offices in the grand lodge, and was
a member of the supreme lodge of Pennsylvania.
The public life of few citizens of the county ex-
tended over as long a period as has that of Mr.
Stotzer, and certainly the life of none was more
faithful in service, more constant in honor, more
fearless in conduct and mor; stainless in reputa-
tion. Mr. Stotzer died February 27, 1904.

JOHN A. BACHMAN. As far back as
history of the family can be traced, it is ascer-
tained that the Bachman iamilv is of .Swiss



origin, and that early representatives of the name
lived in Luzerne. When William Penn came to
this country, his private secretary was a member
ot the Bachman family, and following their
arrival in the new world, when William Penn
came into possession of the state which has been
named in his honor; he deeded to his secretary,
as a compensation for his labors, the two town-
ships then known as Upper and Lower Sagney,
and now called Upper and Lower Saucon. His-
tory also states that on the 25th of 3.1ay, 1737,
the warrant of survey for two hundred acres of
land along the Saucon creek was granted by the
proprietor to Henry Goetschey, but, having failed
to comply with the conditions of sale, a deed was
executed to Christian Beitler by John, Thomas
and Richard Penn, dated July 2^. 1744. Chi the
20th of June, 1 75 1, this same property was con-
veyed by Christian Beitler to Christian Bachman.
The latter was a miller by trade, and was the
proprietor of the mill property now belonging
to the firni of Eberhart & Brother. Christian
Bachman became the progenitor of the members
of the family living in the vicinity of Hellertown.
He had a family of ten children, namely : Abra-
ham, John, George, Henry, Mary, wife of
Christian Schick, Christian, Jacob, Joseph,
Solomon, and David. The last named. David,
became the great-grandfather of the subject of
this review, and the grandfather was Peter Bach-
man, who had three sons, John W., Charles W.,
and David.

John A. Bachman is a son of Charles W. and
Sarah A. (Transane) Bachman. The father was
born in Lower Saucon township, whence he re-
moved to Easton. He was a merchant tailor by
trade, and followed that business for a number
of years. He entered into partnership with a
Mr. Reader, under the firm name of Bachman &
Reader, and subsequently became the firm of
Bachman & Ernst. His business prosperity and
his patronage grew in volume and importance,
bringing to him a good financial return. He was
a worthy man and representative citizen, active
in trade circles, and interested in all that ]3er-
tained to public progress and improvement. His
family numbered four children, the eldest being



136



HISTORIC HOMES AND IXSTITUTIOXS.



John A. of this review. The daughter, Mary A.,
is now the wife of James V. Bull, of the firm of
Bush & Bull. Archibald, a practicing physician,
is deceased, and Absalom is an attorney, follow-
ing his profession in Orange, New Jersey.

John A. Bachman was born in 1848, and at
the usual age he entered the public schools of
Easton, therein acquiring a good education.
After attaining to man's estate he sought a com-
panion and helpmate for the journey of life,
and was married on the 25th of April, 1878, to
Miss Mary H. Horn, a daughter of Robert T.
Horn, of Easton. They now have one son, Robert
Charles, whose birth occurred on the i6th of
May, 1880.

Mr. Bachman has held various offices of trust
and responsibility. He has been connected with
the Phillipsburg National Bank since June,
1874, and in 1878 he was made its cashier, in
which capacity he has served continously since,
his thorough understanding of the business, en-
terprise and energy, being important attributes
in the successful conduct of the institution. He
also served as commissioner of schools of Phil-
lipsburg, New Jersey, for six years, and he has
been director and treasurer of the People's Water
Company of that place since its organization in
1885. He is a trustee and bondholder of the
Standard Silk Company and also a trustee and
bondholder of the American Horseshoe Com-
pany. His business interests have thus extended
to many lines, and his wise counsel and sound
judgment have been important factors in the
successful control of these various enterprises.
He is a man of resourceful business ability, car-
rying forward to successful completion whatever
he undertakes. In commeicial and industrial
affairs he is energetic, prompt and notably re-
liable. Tireless energy, keen perception, honesty
of purpose and a genius for executing the right
thing at the right time, joined to every-day com-
mon sense, are his chief characteristics and all
of his work i.^ guided by a resistless will power.

Mr. Bachman is a worthy member of Easton
Lodge. No. 152. F. and A. M., and has been
receiver for Fralcrnnl Lodge, No. 23, A. O. U.
W., since its inception. He and his family arc



members of St. John's Lutheran church, Easton,
in which he holds the office of elder. In matters
of public moment he is deeply interested and is
a gentleman of broad humanitarian spirit, putting
forth every effort in his power that will promote
the welfare of his fellow men and aid in the sub-
stantial progress and upbuilding of his city and
home locality.

W. WHITELAW, D. D. S., is one of the
trustworthy and reliable representatives of the
dental profession in Easton and this section of
the state, and has a well equipped office in which
he is accorded a liberal patronage because of the
unsurpassable excellence of his work.

Dr. Whitelaw was born in Guelph, Canada,
in 1871, and is a son of Thomas and jMary
(Gowdy) Whitelaw, who were also natives of
the Dominion. The father was a practical farmer
and stock-raiser, giving close attention to the
work which he followed throughout his business
career. Of his father's family. Dr. Whitelaw is
now the only one in the LTnited States. He ob-
tained a good education in the public schools,
and with broad general learning to serve as the
foundation upon which to rear the superstructure
of professional knowledge, he entered the Penn-
sylvania Dental College of Philadelphia, in which
institution he was graduated in 1896, on the com-
pletion of the regular course. In the same year
he came to Easton, locating at his present place
of business on Canal street, and since that time
he has enjoyed a large and growing patronage.
His office is equipped with modern appointments
and the finest instruments known to the profes-
sion, and in his work he is careful and painstak-
ing. His labors are attended with excellent re-
sults, and because of his stiperior skill he is now-
accorded a large business which is bringing to
him a very gratifying income. His promise for
future usefulness and success in his chosen pro-
fession is Ijright in the extreme.

Dr. Whitelaw was united in marriage to Miss
Elsie, daughter of Edward McClay, of Wilkes-
barre, Pennsylvania, the wedding taking place in
the year 1899. The young couple have many
warm friends in Easton. and the circle is con-




lo. tOJl^^^.U^.^



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



^Z7.



stantly increasing as the circle of their acquaint-
ance widens.

Dr. Whitelaw is a member of Old Easton
Lodge, No. 157, F. and A. M., in which he is
held in high esteem because of his personal worth
and his fidelity to the teachings of the craft.

HENRY W. MERRILL. The ancestry of
the Merrill family can be traced back to Nor-
mandy, France, and its establishment in America
dates to the period of the Revolution. There
were three brothers, sons of William Merrill,
who came to the new world at the time General
Lafayette brought his French troops to aid the
colonists in their struggle for independence. One
of these brothers went to the west, another settled
in the eastern portion of the country, and the
•other, Richard Merrill, established his home in
New Jersey. He was born on the 25th of June,
1767, and after arriving at years of maturity he
was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Randolph,
whose birth occurred on the 2d of March, 1775.
They became the parents of six children, all of
whom are now deceased. For his second wife
he chose Mrs. Bitters, by whom he had one son.
Judge R. M. Merrill, of Easton. Richard Mer-
rill was a man of sterling integrity and upright
character, and also possessed great physical
strength and power of endurance. He served his
country faithfully and well in the war of 1812,
and was ever devoted to its best interests, aiding
materially in its progress along many lines. The
children of his first marriage were William, John,
Mary, Susan, Elizabeth and Margaret, and the
son of his second marriage, Judge R. ^I. Merrill,
is now a venerable gentleman in his eighty-fifth
year. He was associate judge for a decade,
justice of the peace for thirty years, and county
treasurer for two terms.

William Merrill, who was born of the first
union, became the father of our subject. His
birth occurred in Easton, Pennsylvania, in 1806,
and there he was reared and educated. In his
youth he learned the shoemaker's trade, which
he found a profitable business. He married IMiss
Sarah A. Wallace, who was born in 1807, and
was a dausrhter of Moses W. and Anna ^^''allace.



Their family numbered ten children, five sons and
five daughters, of whom six are yet living : Henry
W., Susan, Margaret, Eleanor, Luther and Will-
iam. Of this number Luther is now engaged in
the boot and shoe business in Ulster, Pennsyl-
vania, but our subject is the only survivor of the
family now living in the Lehigh valley. The
father passed away in the year 1895, and his
wife was called to her final rest in 1893.

Henry W. Merrill was born at Nanticoke, on
the Susquehanna river, in 1830, and was reared
and educated in his native town, remaining there
until his fourth year. His young manhood
was spent in the hazardous but lucrative em-
ployment of piloting rafts t;n the Susquehanna
river, and he followed that pursuit for five years
with good success, but he finally abandoned this
dangerous work and removed to Paterson, New
Jersey, where he turned his attention to a business
in which he was always interested, that of land-
scape architecture. There he followed that pur-
suit for twenty years, finding it a congenial and
profitable occupation. In 1876 he removed to
Easton. In 1888 he organized the Jackson
Emery Mills which is now one of the substantial
and important industries of Easton, adding
largely to the material welfare of the city, as well
as to the individual success of the owners. Mr.
Merrill retained his interest therein for a number
of years and then, selling out, gave his attention
in the real estate business as agent for the trustees
of W. J. Drexel. This he followed for some
time, but finally abandoned it to again take up
his old calling of landscape architecture, and in
this connection he is now filling the position of
superintendent of the Easton Heights cemetery,
and South Easton cemetery. With a sense of the
artistic and the beautiful highly developed, and a
thorough understanding of the practical work of
his vocation, he has achieved excellent results as
a landscape architect, and has made Easton
Heights cemetery a beautiful city of the dead.
He exercised his official prerogatives in support
Easton, which will stand as an enduring monu-
ment to his memory.

]\Ir. Merrill has been honored with the office
of councilman, and while in that bodv served as



I3S



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



chairman of the sewer and highway departments.
He exercised his official prerogatives in support
of every movement and measure for the general
good, and proved a capable officer. In matters
of citizenship he has ever been public spirited and
progressive, and has put forth his best efforts
for general progress and improvement. He is
a Democrat in politics, and for eight years has
been a member of the Democratic State Central
Committee.

In 1856 occurred the marriage of Mr. Merrill
and Miss Lizzie Elmendorf, and to this marriage
were born two children : William J. and Kate G.
The former is the secretary and treasurer of the
company publishing the magazine "Just Fun,"
a mirth-producing publication of New York. The
wife and mother died in 1874, and in 1876 Mr.
Merrill was again married, his second union
being with Miss Mary R. Failing, a native of
Germany. She traces her descent from noted
ancestry. One of the most romantic chapters in
the history of America was the marriage of
Pocahontas to John Rolfe. They became the
parents of one son, Thomas Rolfe, who married
Jane Boiling, by whom he had five daughters,
and one of these daughters married Mr. Ran-
dolph from whom is descended Mary, the wife
of Richard Merrill. The Randolphs, or as they
were first called Fitz-Randolphs, sprang from
Norman-French stock, and date back to William
the Conqueror and King of England.

EMANUEL LERCH. Emanuel Lerch is a
descendant of a well known family of this name
whose representatives have spent many years
within the boundaries of Pennsylvania. The
great-grandfather, Frederick Lerch, was a native
of Moore township, Northampton county, but
afterward removed to Forks, where he purchased
a farm of three hundred acres of land bordering
the Bushkill creek. He married Miss Elizabeth
Switezell, and unto them were Imrn seventeen
children, of whom fourteen reached years of ma-
turity. Of this remarkable family nine were
sons who became good and Inyal citizens of their
count ry. and Frederick Lerch was a popular and
influential man who served his township as



justice of the peace and held other local offices,
proving capable, prompt and efficient in the dis-
charge of his public duties. He was a worthy
member of the Forks church, and died in the
Christian faith on the ist of August, 1826, while
his wife survived him for about ten years and
passed away in 1836.

Among the children of this worthy couple
was a son Frederick, whose birth occurred in
Forks township, and who after reaching adult
age was married and reared a family of his own
numbering seven children, six of whom were
sons. One of these, Jeremiah, is now living.
Another son of the family was Frederick Lerch,
the third of the name. He was born in Forks
township in 1830, became a blacksmith by trade,
and was an excellent mechanic. In 1852 he re-
moved to Easton, where he established a coach
factory, and in that business he continued until
1869, when he removed to Stemton. He em-
ployed about twenty hands in his factory, and
carried on an extensive and profitable business,
having a large patronage which caused the pro-
duct of his factory to be shipped into many parts
of the countr}-. He manifested excellent business
ability and executive force m the care and man-
agement of his enterprise, and as the result of his
energy and perseverance combined with keen
sagacity he won a handsome competence. He
was a worthy member of the First Reformed
church of Easton, Pennsylvania, and he died at
his home in Stemton in the year 1873. His
wife, who bore the maiden name of Miss Polly
Kcnimerer, was born in Lehigh county in 1830,
and is still living. They were married in 185 1,
and became the parents of seven children, five
of whom still survive, namely : Emanuel, Simon,
Ida, Emma and Martha.

Emamicl Lerch, whose name introduces this
review, was born in the city of Easton in 1854,
spent his life in this locality, and is indebted to
the |)ublic schools for the educational privileges
which he enjoyed. In his early life he learned
the trade of car building, working in the wood
department, and to this pursuit he has since given
his attention, thoroughly mastering the business
both in principal and detail. He was employed



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



139



by the Central Railroad Company in New Jersey
for more than sixteen years, and has been in the
employ of the Lehigh Valley Railroad for thirteen
years and this is a most creditable record, indicat-
ing excellent workmanship, fidelity to the inter-
ests of his employers, and appreciation on the part
of those whom he serves.

Mr. Lerch has held several offices within the
jurisdiction of the state, discharging his duties
with ability, promptness and fidelity. He is now
a member of the school board, and the cause of
education finds in him a warm friend who does
all in his power to raise the standard of the
schools and promote their effectiveness. Frater-
nally he is connected with the Heptasophs.

On the 6th of October, 1877, was celebrated
the marriage of Mr. Lerch and Miss Alice O.
Odenwelder, a daughter of William and Anna
R. Odenwelder. She was born in Palmer town-
ship, March 18, 1859, and by her marriage has
become the mother of eight children, six of whom
are living, as follows : William F., born April 4,
1879; Anna L., born February 12, 1882; Nellie,
June 25, 1885 ; Florence A., November 3, 1889 ;
Harold E., August 5, 1891 ; and Helen M.,
March 10, 1897. J\Ir. Lerch and his family are
members of the First Reformed church, and are
well known in the community, having a large
circle of warm friends.

It will be interesting in this connection to note
something of the ancestry of Mrs. Lerch. The
first Odenwelder to come to the Lehigh valley
was Philip Odenwelder, a native of Germany.
Among his children was a son to whom was also
given the name of Philip, and who was in early
life a poor man, yet by industry and unfaltering
perseverance became the possessor of consider-
able means. He purchased for his sons a tract
of land embracing two hundred acres, and to this
farm he subsequently added, making it an ex-
tensive and valuable property. His wife was in
her maidenhood a i\Iiss Coch, and she bore him
seven children. Mr. Odenwelder was a worthy
member of the Reformed church and became an
influential and highly respected citizen of his
community. The grandfather of Mrs. Lerch was
Jacob Odenwelder, who married Miss Elizabeth



Yeager. He became a well-to-do farmer and
owned the land upon which Muchlertown now
stands and was also the founder of the town of
Odenwelder. Unto him and his wife were born
five children, all of whom reached mature years,
namely: William, Aaron, Samuel, Sarah A. and
Mary.

Of this number William Odenwelder, the
father of Mrs. Lerch, was born January 24, 1821.
He wedded Ann Woodring, whose birth occurred
in Lower Saucon in 1820. A farmer by occupa-
tion, he made his home near the town of Oden-
welder, and was widely known and honored as
a man of sterling integrity and upright character.
His fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and
ability, frequently called him to public office, in
which he served in a creditable manner, enjoying
the high esteem of both political parties. His
family numbered four children : Elimanda, now
deceased ; Leona ; Jacob, who has also passed
away; and Alice, wife of Emanuel Lerch, died
August 9, 1904.

EDWARD S. PITTEXGER is one of the
leading contractors and builders of Easton, Penn-
sylvania, his place of business being situated at
No. 40 North Bank street. He is a thorough
workman, understanding the business both in
principal and detail, and his energy, keen dis-
crimination and unquestioned honesty have
brought to him splendid success. He has a very
liberal patronage and many of the fine buildings
of the city are indicative of his superiority in the
line of his chosen calling.

Mr. Pittenger is a native of Easton, where
he was born on the 23d of July, 1854, and is a
son of Peter and Maria (George) Pittenger, the
former of whom was born at Hampton Junction,
New Jersey, in 1829, and the latter in Easton,
Pennsylvania, in 1832. In 1850 the father came
to Easton, where he followed various callings,
but finally embarked in the grocery business,,
which he carried on quite successfully for tern
years. Having accumulated enough money tO'
purchase a farm, he then turned his attention to>
truck gardening, and has since devoted his time
to that pursuit. He and his wife still live upon



I40



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



the farm, enjoying the fruits of a well spent
life, and they are numbered among the most
highly respected citizens of their community. To
them were born eleven children, of whom nine
grew to maturity, and eight are still living,
namely: Edward S., Robert, Erwin, iVIrs. Anna
Eichland, Mrs. Clara Sinclair, Peter, John and
Thomas.

In the city of his nativity Edward S. Pittenger
passed the days of his boyhood and youth, at-
tending school most of the time. Later he learned
the carpenter's trade with the firm of Hellick &
Lerch, and for twenty years was in the employ
of those gentlemen and George Hayden, never
changing his position but once during that entire
time. After nine years spent with Mr. Hayden,
he bought out his employer on the 2gth of Decem-
ber, 1892, and has since carried on business on his
own account with marked success, enjoying a
large and constantly increasing patronage. He
employs about ten men all the year round, and
many of the best buildings of Easton stand as
monuments to his workmanship and skill.

On the i8th of September, 1879, Mr. Pitten-
ger was united in marriage to Miss Matilda L.
Riedy, who was born in Easton, December 15,
1855, a daughter of Gabriel and Mary (Wert-
man) Riedy. Her father was also a native of
Pennsylvania, born in Heidelburg, in 181S, and
was a blacksmith by trade and a good mechanic.
At length he abandoned his trade and ran the
engine for the city water works at Easton for
eighteen years. In 1841 he led to the marriage
altar Miss Mary Wertman, who was born in Car-
bon county, Pennsylvania, in 1819, and for the
long period of sixty-two years they traveled life's
journey together, sharing its joys and sorrows,
its adversity and prosperity, but he died in 1903.
Mrs. Riedy is still living. She is a daughter of
Jacob and Barbara (Andreas) Wertman. Her
paternal grandfather and his father were both
natives of Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, and were
farmers by occupation. The latter was a soldier
of the Revolutionary war. The grandfather mar-
ried a Miss Hess, and to them were born three
children. Mrs. Pittenger is one of a family of
four children, the others being Francis W., Ben-



jamin, and Amanda J. Her paternal grand-
parents were Abraham and Catherine (German)
Riedy, in whose family were thirteen children.
Her grandfather made milling his life occupation,
and his grandfather was a soldier in the Rev-
olutionary war.

Mr. and Mrs. Pittenger have three children:
Ralph R., Russell, and Paul S. Fraternally our
subject is a member of the following honorable
orders : Dallas Lodge, No. 396, F. and A. M. ;
Easton Chapter, No. 137, R. A. M. ; Hugh De
Payen Commandery, No. 19, K. T. ; the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, in which he has
taken the encampment degrees. In the subordi-
nate lodge of Odd Fellows he is a past grand,
and is past high priest in the encampment. As
a man and citizen he ever stands ready to dis-
charge any duty devolving upon him, and he
has a wide circle of friends and acquaintances
who esteem him highly.

JOHN BUTLAND, for over thirty years
an honored and trusted employee of the Lehigh
Valley Railroad Company at Easton, Pennsyl-
vania, where he is serving in the capacity of
master painter, is a great-grandson of James
Rutland, a native of England, who emigrated to
the United States in 1754, settled in Philadel-
phia, Pennsylvania, and was a prominent member
of the Church of England. Charles Butland, son
of James, was born in Philadelphia ; he married
Ellen Balantine, daughter of John and Eleanor
Balantine, of Coleraine, Ireland, the latter named
being the only daughter of Lord and Lady Leslie
of Coleraine, Ireland.

Charles Butland. above named, grandfather
of John Butland, was prominently identified with



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 25 of 92)