John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 28 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 28 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


John and Elizabeth Berry. The wedding, cele-
brated in 1853, has been blessed with twelve
children, seven of whom are yet living, as fol-
lows: Catherine E., F. S., Harry, Daisy, Belle,
Emma and Elsie. His sons are employed as
carpenters in the Lehigh Valley shops.

Like his father and grandfather Mr. Wire-
bach is popular with his fellow citizens, and was
elected and served as high constable for four
years, while for nine years he was supervisor of
the streets. At the present writing he is assessor
of the Eleventh Ward.

A. H. R. GUILEY. The work of the medi-
cal profession is regarded by many as the one
of most value to the human race, and certainly
he is deserving of gratitude who devotes his
energies, conscientiously and earnestly, to the
alleviation of human suffering and to the restora-
tions of man's most priceless possession — health.
One of the most capable representatives of the
medical fraternity in Easton, Pennsylvania, is
Dr. Guiley, whose knowledge of medicine is com-
prehensive and accurate, and whose close fidelity
to the ethics of the profession has won him the
highest regard of his brethren of the medical
fraternity, as well as of the general public.

Dr. Guiley is descended from Holland and
German ancestry, in the paternal and maternal
lines, respectively. His great-grandfatHer, John
Guiley, was born in 1757, and was one of the
Hessians who were captured by General Wash-
ington, at Trenton, New Jersey, on the 26th of
December, 1776. To him and his wife Rachel
was born a son, to whom they gave the name of
John. His birth occurred in Reading, Pennsyl-



vania, in 1787, and he married Miss Mary C.
dinger. They became the parents of John
Guiley, the 3d, born in Reading, February 24,
1826. After arriving at years of maturity, he
wedded Miss Margaret Wirebach. Her great-
grandfather was Isaac Wirebach, who emigrated
from Germany to the United States at an early
day, settling in Bucks county, Pennsylvania. Of
his children, Jacob Wirebach was the great-
grandfather of Dr. Guiley, and was born in Sor-
ingfield township, Bucks county. He was three
times married, first to Miss ]\rary Ackerman,
by whom he had one child. His second wife
bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Eughmy, and
to them were born six children. For his third
wife he chose Margaret Woolsleyer, and they had
a son, Philip, who is yet living. Of the seventeen
children born to Jacob Wirebach, fifteen reached
years of maturity, and become well known mem-
bers of society, taking an active part in public
aiTairs in the communities in which they resided,
while representatives of the name contributed
largely to the advancement and upbuilding of
South Eeaston.

Jacob C. Wirebach, the grandfather of Dr.
Guiley, was born in Springfield township, Bucks
county, Pennsylvania, in 1808, and after his mar-
riage to Catherine Short, he removed to Easton,
locating tliere in 1835. In 1857, he purchased
the Hill farm of the Lehigh Goal Navigation
Company, containing about one hundred acres
of land, and this he divided into building lots
and sold to the poor mechanics and laborers at
a low figure and upon very reasonable terms.
This was the beginning of the growth of South
Easton, and proved a benefaction to the poor
who were thus enabled to gain homes for them-
selves. Mr. Wirebach was a very generous man,
and his friends were numbered by the score. He
served as justice of the peace for about twenty
years, was burgess of the borough, tax collector,
constable and held other other minor offices, the
duties of which he discharged with marked
fidelity, for in matters of citizenship he was both
]uil>lic-spirited and loyal. Like his forefathers he
adhered to the faith of the German Reformed
chmxh. His father-in-law. Captain George



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



153



Short, who took an active part in the war of 1812,
came from Virginia, and for years con-
ducted a general store in Springfield township,
Bucks county, Pennsylvania. Jacob C. Wire-
bach and his wife Catherine had nine children :
Salome, Urbanus, Margaret, Hannah, Susan,
Sarah, and Alice, and two deceased. Jacob C.
Wirebach died in 1877, and his wife passed away
in 1879. The world was better for their having
lived, and their memory is still cherished in the
hearts of those who knew them.

Previous to his marriage Dr. Guiley's father
resided for some years in Reading, Pennsylvania,
and in 1852 came to Easton, where he took sub-
contracts for building the roadbed of the Le-
high Valley Railroad, and later began merchan-
dising, as proprietor of a dry-goods store. Sub-
sequently he turned his attention to the drug
trade, and carried on his store in that line until
1878. Eventually he removed to Allentown,
Pennsylvania, where his remaining days were
passed, his death occurring June 17, 1896. His
widow still survives him. Their children are
A. H. R., Kate, Florence, deceased ; Emily, and
S. Estella Guiley.

Dr. Guiley was born at the family home on
Canal street, in Easton, in 1855, and was reared
and educated here, pursuing his studies in the
public schools until he had completed the high
school course with high honors in the class of
1872. He then entered Lafayette College, where
lie remained as a student for two vears, after
which he entered the Jefferson jMedical College,
of Philadelphia, in which he was graduated in
1877, capturing the J. M. Toner gold medal and
the R. J. Levis gold medal. Immediately return-
ing to his native city, he opened an office and
entered upon the practice of his chosen calling,
and his career is in contradistinction to the old
adage that a prophet is not without honor save
in his own country, for in the citv of his birth he
has won prominence as a practitioner, and gained
the confidence of the public because of his hon-
orable life and marked ability in the line of his
chosen vocation. He has practiced here continu-
ously since 1877, with the exception of two years
spent in Kansas. He is informed concerning the



methods and beliefs of the two leading schools
of medicine, and he uses the one which his judg-
ment directs in the care of his patients. In a
profession where advancement depends upon in-
dividual merit, Dr. Guiley has continually ad-
vanced and is to-day accounted one of the ablest
representatives of the medical fraternity in this
city. His personal worth, too, has won him a
high place in the public regard, and he has the
esteem of all who know him because of his no-
bility of character and deference for the opin-
ions of others.

In the year of his graduation, on the 20th of
October, Dr. Guiley led to the marriage altar
Miss Anna W. Thomas, who was born in South
Easton, April 25, 1827, and is a daughter of John
J. and Mary Thomas. Her people removed to
this city about the time the Guiley family was
established here, and have since been respected
and valued residents of the county. To Dr.
Guiley and his wife has been born one son :
Henri A., whose birth occurred in Wykoff, Rus-
sell county, Kansas, March 22, 1880. He is a
graduate of the High school of Easton and also
of Lafayette College, of the class of 1901, and is
now a mining engineer.

JOHN A. WALTAIAX, a representative of
the commercial interests of Easton, now engaged
in the successful conduct of a grocery store, was
born in this city, May 25, 1851, and comes of
German ancestry. His paternal great-grand-
father was a native of Germany, and emigrated
to this country at a very early period in the de-
velopment of the Lehigh valle}-, in which he
settled and reared his family. His son, Peter
Waltman, was born in Allentown, Pennsylvania,
and in his family were five children : Hannah,
Anna, Joseph, Polly, and Eliza.

Of this number Joseph Waltman became the
father of John A. Waltman. He was one of
the well known and respected residents of the
Lehigh valley throughout his active and eventful
life. His birth occurred in Allentown, Penn-
sylvania, October 28, 1806, and there he was
reared and educated. At an early age he entered
upon an apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade.



154



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



and his natural mechanical ability and close appli-
cation soon made him an expert workman. He
built his first dam in 1820, and became noted as
the best bridge builder between Mauch Chunk
and Easton. In 1834, he removed to the latter
city, where he made a permanent location,
although in 1835 he took up his abode in that
portion of the city now known as the south side.
In 1835-36 he built the cotton mills here, and in
1836 erected the residence of Dr. Slough. In
1841 he turned his attention to bridge-building,
in which work he had no superior, either in the
stability of the structure nor the beauty of design.
In 1842, he was employed by the Glendon Com-
pany, with which he was connected for some-time.
He sank the first cribbing for the Lehigh Valley
Railroad bridge across the Delaware river in
1853, and executed many important contracts,
which were granted him because of his leadership
in the line of activity which he chose as his life
work.

In 1830, Joseph Waltman was united in mar-
riage to Miss Mary M. Bast, and to them were
born ten children : Adeline, Samuel, Frank,
Henry and Hcnriette, twins, the former deceased,
Mary, Peter, deceased; William, Joseph, and
John. The father of this family was an exem-
plary member of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, and his life ever commanded the admir-
ation and respect of his fellowmen. He died
May 13, 1896, and his wife passed away October
6, 1890.

No event of special importance occurred to
vary the routine of life for John A. Waltman in
his youth. He was reared under the parental
roof and attended the public schools, thus acquir-
ing an education that well fitted him for the re-
sponsible and practical duties of life. He and his
brothers learned the carpenter's trade, and he
continued to work at that pursuit until 1888,
when he entered the grocery business, establish-
ing a store which he has since conducted with
marked success, prospering beyond his most san-
guine hopes. His stock is carefully selected, well
arranged for convenience and also to present an
attractive appearance, and a glance into his place
of business thus often solves for the perplexed



housewife the puzzling question of "what to eat?"
His trade is now large, and he derives a good
income from his labors and investment.

On the 17th of July, 1878, occurred the mar-
riage of Mr. Waltman and Miss Kate Wirebach,
a daughter of Urbanus and Lena Wirebach.
She was born in Easton, March 6, 1854. They
now have three children : Raymond I., who was
born January 29, 1880, and is assisting his father
in the store ; Aaron T., born May i, 1883, is oper-
ating in the mechanical department of the Easton.
Dental Supply Company ; and J. Byron, born
October 27, 1890, is still in school. Mr. Walt-
man is a member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, and enjoys the full confidence of his
brethren of the lodge. He has served as a capable
and progressive member of the school board for
sixteen years, and is a much respected citizen of
Easton.

JAMES M. DIEHL. The ancestral history
of him whose name introduces this review can be
traced back to John Diehl, who was a resident
of Wayne county, Pennsylvania, and the great-
grandfather of James M. Diehl. It will thus be
seen that the family was established in the Key-
stone state at an early epoch in its development,
and as the years have passed the representatives
of the name have been active and prominent in
the work of development and improvement.

George Diehl, the grandfather of James ]\L
Diehl, was born in Wayne county, and after ar-
riving at years of maturity wedded Susan Fens-
termacher, whose birth occurred in Northamp-
ton county. About 1842, George Diehl removed
to Easton and there made his home arid reared his
family. His children were Reuben, Charles,.
William, John, Celinda, Catherine, Susan, and
Polly A., all of whom were born in Northampton
county. Of this number Reuben and William
became millers, and for a number of years fol-
lowed that pursuit, while Charles Diehl was a
molder in early life. During the Civil war, how-
ever, he enlisted in the L^nited States service and
faithfully aided his country in the struggle to pre-
serve the Union for three years. L^pon his return
liome, he was employed by the \\'estcrn Union



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



155



Telegraph Company, and later he accepted a posi-
tion as foreman over a number of men engaged
in laying the Atlantic cable. The other son of
the family, John Diehl, died ere attaining his
majority.

Reuben Diehl, the father of James M. Diehl,
wAs born in Northampton county, in 1828, and
in early life learned the miller's trade, which he
followed for a number of years. Later he entered
into business arrangements with the Prudential
Life Insurance Company, and was connected with
that corporation up to the time of his demise,
which occurred in 1899. His children were five
in number : Henry and Emanus, both deceased ;
James j\l., Edwin, born in July, 1854; and Frank,
born in 1864. These sons were reared and edu-
cated in Easton, and are now worthy and active
business men of the city.

James M. Diehl was born in August, 1852,
and after acquiring his education in the public
schools turned his attention to the flour and feed
business. This seemed a natural consequence
because his ancestors were millers, and he was
more or less familiar with the commodity which
he handled. To that line of trade he devoted his
time and energies until 1893, when he turned his
attention to the real estate business, and has since
built up an extensive clientage in that line. He is
well informed concerning realty values, and has
negotiated many important realty transfers. In
1893, he was elected justice of the peace, and
filled that position in a most capable manner for
three terms "winning golden opinions from all
sorts of people.'' By the governor JNIr. Diehl was
appointed notary public, and the appointment was
confirmed by the senate, so that he is now acting
in that capacity.

In 1874, as celebrated the marriage of James
M. Diehl and Miss Louise Zellener, a daughter
of Levi and Kate (Lambert) Zellener. The lady
was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in 1850,
and their marriage has been blessed with five
children, of whom four are yet living, namely :
Lillie M., who is employed as a cashier ; Edwin
M., an electrician of New York; Henry J., a
machinist ; and Floyd M.

Edwin Diehl was engaged in the dry goods



business in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, for r
number of years, but his store was damaged to
such an extent by the flood there that it caused
him to abandon the business and the citv. He
then returned to his native city, in 1903, and is
now engaged in the real estate business in con-
nection with his brother, James j\I. Diehl, of this
review. The firm is a strong one in business
circles in Easton, and their patronage has con-
stantly grown in volume and importance. In
1880, Edwin Diehl was united in marriage to-
iMiss Ursula Smith, and they have two children:
Clarence E. and Louise M. The mother was
born in Easton in 1856. The Diehl familv has
long been prominently known in the Lehigh
valley, and James M. and Edwin Diehl are repre-
sentative citizens of Easton, occupying an en-
viable position in business circles and also in the
public regard.

GEORGE BANCO is the well known and
popular proprietor of the Lafayette Hotel,
borough of West Easton, and for almost forty
years has conducted this house in a manner sat-
isfactory to the public and profitable to himself.

He is a native of France, his birth having
occurred in Faileau, near the river Rhine, in the
year 1834. W'hen a youth of fifteen years he
crossed the Atlantic to America in 1849, spending
a short time in Williamsburg, New York, where
he worked at the shoemaker's trade, but he found
that this disagreed with his health, and in con-
sequence abandoned that pursuit. He next turned
his attention to the carpenter's trade, but did not
complete his apprenticeship, and in 1849 he came
to Easton, where he accepted a position in the
service of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company,
at which time the company was constructing its
roadbed. In 185 1 he left the railroad service and
purchased a canal boat and team, devoting his
time and energies to the hauling of coal in this
way. For sixteen years he carried on the boating-
business with much profit, and then abandoned
the canal and embarked in a new enterprise, that
of quarrying stone. In 1867 he purchased his
present hotel property, and has since been the
genial host of the Lafayette House, which is well



156



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



conducted and is a progressive hostelry, always
keeping abreast with the enterprising spirit of the
times. Mr. Bango puts forth every effort in his
power to promote the comfort and welfare of
those whom he entertains, and is a popular host
Avho has gained many friends among his partons.
He has accommodations for twenty-four guests,
and the hotel is conducted in an excellent manner.
Mr. Bango has been twice married. He first
wedded Miss Frances Staley, in 1858, and they
became the parents of eight children, namely :
Louise, Mary, Josephine, William, Emma, Kate,
George and Ann. Of this number Louise and
Emma are now deceased. The wife and mother
died in 1881, and in the following year Mr. Bango
was again married, his second union being with
Miss Rose Mulvaney, a native of Ireland. Mr.
Bango and his family are communicants of the
Homan Catholic church. He has kept in touch
with all of the improvements and changes made
in the Lehigh valley, and is deeply interested in
its welfare, while as a public spirited citizen he
has labored for its advancement and substantial
upbuilding. He is well known in this section of
the state, where almost his entire life has been
passed, and the sterling traits of his character
have gained for him the regard of many friends.

TITUS A. STEINER is serving as justice
■of the peace in Easton, a position he has filled
for a third of a century with credit to himself
and satisfaction to his constituents. He is thor-
oughly impartial in meting out justice, his opin-
ions being unbiased by either fear or favor, and
his fidelity to the trust reposed in him is above
question. He is regarded as one of the most
highly respected citizens of Easton, and it is
therefore consistent that he be represented in this
work, whose province is the portrayal of the lives
of the leading men of the Lehigh Valley.

Mr. Steiner was born in 1843 in Bucks coimty,
Pennsylvania, of which county his parents, Adam
and Hannah (Rinker) Steiner, were also natives.
In 1855 they removed to Easton, and took up
their residence on ]\Iauch Chunk street. By
trade the fatlnor was a carpenter, and continued
to follow that occupation throughout the years



of his active business life, but in later years when
his physical health would not stand such arduous
toil, he removed to Allentown and there spent the
last ten years of his life in ease and retirement.
He died in 1888, at the age of seventy-six years,
and his wife died in 1870, aged fifty-five. Their
family consisted of three children, namely: Mrs.
John Steiner, a resident of Richland township,
Bucks county, Pennsylvania; Mrs. Emma Holt,
of the south side of Easton ; and Titus A., of this
review.

Having come to Easton with his parents
during boyhood, Titus A. Steiner pursued his
education in the schools of the south side, and
after leaving school engaged in clerking in a
store for a period of nine years. He subsequently
taught school for twenty years, but has since
given his attention principally to his official du-
ties, having been elected justice of the peace and
notary public in 1870. These offices he still re-
tains. He served as burgess of the borough of
South Easton two years, and also held many
minor offices.

On the 9th of May, 1875, Mr. Steiner was
united in marriage to Miss Mary Ott, a daughter
of Samuel and Elizabeth Ott. Her father was a
prosperous farmer of Mount Bethel, and owned
a large tract of land in South Easton. He was a
highly respected citizen of that place and a man
of prominence in the community, serving as a
member of the council for a number of years.
Later in life he removed to Nazareth, Pennsyl-
vania, where he died in 1879. Of his six chil-
dren only two are now living, these being Mrs.
Steiner and Mrs. Odenwelder. Mr. Steiner and
his wife have no children.

Mr. Steiner is not only prominent politically,
but is also popular in social circles. In 1870, he
was raised to the sublime degree of a Master
Mason in Easton Lodge. No. 152, and in a very
creditable and impressive manner he has since
filled all the chairs of honor in that lodge. He is
also a member of Chapter No. 173, R. A. M.,
and is a Sir Knight and Past Eminent Com-
mander in Hugh DePayne Commandery. He is
a member of the First Presbyterian church of
Easton, where as a member of the choir his voice



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



157



has rang out in songs of praises to God for thirty
years. He has a fine, well trained bass voice, of
great vohime, and is a lover of music. He is
also a member of the Orpheus Singing Club,
which is conducted by Professor Charles Knauss.
His wife worships at the Reformed church, and
both are earnest Christian people who have the
love and confidence of all who know them.

JAMES MARTIN. One of the alert, enter-
prising and progressive business men of West
Easton is James Alartin, who is conducting a
general store well supplied with a large line of
carefully selected goods. He is one of the native
sons of this borough, his birth having occurred
here in 1868.

He was reared and educated in his native
township on the old Richard homestead, his
parents being James and Rachel (Bunting) Mar-
tin, both of whom were natives of England, the
former having been born in 1842 and the latter
in 1846. Their marriage was solemnized in their
native land, and they emigrated to the new world
in 1862, hoping to find better business oppor-
tunities in this country, and to secure a compe-
tence more quickly than they could hope to do in
the old world. The father was an expert
machinist, and was employed by the Glendon
Company for a number of years, after which he
entered the service of the Ingersol Company.
Throughout his entire life he worked at his trade,
and gained thereby a comfortable living. He died
October 30, 1895, and is still survived by his
widow. He was a consistent member of Lodge,
No. 261, of the Order of American jNIechanics,
which he joined upon its organization. In the
family were twelve children, nine of whom are
yet living, as follows : John, James, Sarah,
George, Susan, William, Edwin, Bertha and
Rachel.

In taking up the personal history of James
Martin we present to our readers the life record
of one who is widely known in this locality, where
he has always lived, having obtained a good
English education in the public schools. He
served an apprenticeship to the machinist's trade,
at which he worked for twelve years, being em-



ployed by the Ingersol Company during one half
of that time. In 1893, while yet at the shop, he
opened his store, his wife acting as manager in
the enterprise. Six years later in 1899 he aban-
doned his trade and gave exclusive attention to
his mercantile interests. It was in 1893 that
James Alartin led to the marriage altar i\liss
Eliza J. jNIontgomery, a daughter of William and
Elizabeth [Montgomery of New York. By the
united efforts of our subject and his wife a pay-
ing trade has been established, and the patrons
of the store are well satisfied with the treatment
they receive, because Mr. and Mrs. iMartin do
everything in their power to give to their cus-
tomers what is desired, and to sell to them none
but first class goods. Mr. Martin further ex-
tended the field of his labors by opening a butcher
shop in connection with the store. This was
opened on the 20th of December, 1902, and in
this enterprise Mr. Martin is associated with his
brother William. They now have a profitable
trade in that line, and their business is continually
increasing. In July, 1901, James Martin was also
commissioned postmaster of West Easton, upon
the establishment of the office at this place, and
in 1897 he was elected one of the first councilmen
in the borough.

Fraternally Mr. Martin is connected with the
Order of American Mechanics, of which he has
been treasurer for four years. He and his wife



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 28 of 92)