John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 31 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 31 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


though the name was subsequently changed to
Chestnut Hill. Being a miller by trade, he pur-
chased a small farm and erected thereon a mill,
which he continued to conduct throughout the
remainder of his life. He married Betsey Arndt,
a native of Northampton county. During her girl-
hood it was the custom to bind out orphan chil-
dren, and she was one of these who was homeless
and bereft of parents but of respectable descent.
The gentleman with whom she lived and whose
name she bore was a pronounced Tory, and took
an active part against the colonial cause at the
time of the Revolutionary war. This thoroughly
aroused the ire of Betsey, whose young heart was
with General Washington and his cherished wish
— that of the independence of the colonies. To
Jacob and Betsey Deitrich were born the follow-
ing children: Benjamin, Joseph, Stephen, Sally,
Polly A., Katy M. and Betsey.

Benjamin Deitrich, our subject's father, was
"born in Forks township in 1801. He owned
a small farm of forty-five acres, which he
managed with skill and profit, and he eventu-
ally became quite a prominent man in his com-
munity. He married ]\'Iiss Anna M. Lerch, who
was also a native of Forks township, born on
Chestnut Hill, and died in 1806. They
w^ere active and consistent members of St. John's



Lutheran church, in which Mr. Deitrich served
as deacon and elder at different times. The fam-
ily of this worthy couple consisted of nine chil-
dren, those still living being Edward, who was
born in 1832 ; Charles, in 1843 ; Jeremiah, in
1845; Noah, in 1847; Stephen, in 1849; and
Emma, in 1857. The last named is now the wife
of Samuel Wetz, of Phillipsburg, New Jersey.

The early life of Edward Deitrich was passed
in a very useful but uneventful manner. He
began dealing in milk when only twelve years old,
and he continued to engage in that business up to
the present time with profit to himself and to the
entire satisfaction of his numerous customers. He
has an extensive route, and now handles about
seventy-five gallons per day. For almost sixty
years he has furnished milk to the families of
Easton, and he is not only widely known but has
the respect and confidence of the entire com-
munity, as he is strictly honorable in all his deals
and only handles the best milk.

Mr. Deitrich was married in 1853, the lady
of his choice being Miss Susanna Walters, a
daughter of William and Betsey Walters. She
too was born on Chestnut Hill, in 1837, and died
at the same place in 1899. The only child born
of this union was Anna ]M., who is now the wife
of J. W. Flad, and has two children, Edward D.
and Earl L.

Mr. Deitrich is a worthy member of Easton
Lodge, No. 152, F. and A. M. ; Easton Chapter,
No. 137, R. A. M. : and Hugh De Payens Com-
mandery. No. 19, K. T. He has been honored
with election to the city council, and in whatever
position he has been placed he has always been
found true to every trust reposed in him, whether
public or private.

G. E. H. WESTIMORELAND, M. G. M. E.
This gentleman, although a young man, has had
large experience in the art of massage treatment,
and has gained a prominent position in his pro-
fession. He was born in Geneva, Ohio, in 1869,
and is a son of Silas and Olivia (Curtiss) West-
moreland, both of whom were natives of Ohio.
The father was a worthy man and an intelligent
citizen. He possessed mechanical ability, and be-



170



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



came a mining engineer, which vocation he al-
ways followed as a means of livelihood. He is
now deceased, but is still survived by his widow.
Their family numbered four children, three of
whom are yet living, namely : Jennie, James, and
Dr. G. E. H. Westmoreland.

In his native town Dr. Westmoreland spent
his boyhood days and acquired a liberal educa-
tion under private tutors, thus continuing his
studies until 1882. In that year he went abroad
to perfect his education and to gain a more com-
prehensive knowledge of his chosen profession.
He studied in Vienna, Dresden and Saxony, and
also remained for eighteen months in Paris, and
for four years in Stockholm, Sweden, as a stu-
dent in the Royal Central Institute. After his
graduation he traveled extensively, observing and
comparing the dififerent methods of massage prac-
ticed in the various countries that he visited, and
storing away in the resources of his mind for
future use the knowledge which he obtained con-
cerning the best and most advanced scientific
methods of treatment. He is well versed in the
skill of treatment which he presents, and he has
a large and constantly increasing patronage. In
1892 he returned to his native country, locating
in Philadelphia, where he practiced his profes-
sion continually until igoi, when he removed to
Easton, where he is now enjoying a lucrative
business that is constantly growing.

In 1892 Dr. Westmoreland was united in
marriage to Miss Ulla Lundgren, a daughter of
Carl A. Lundgren, of Sweden. The lady was
born in that country in 1869, and she, too, is a
noted practitioner in massage, and electric treat-
ment, and is associated with the prominent
osteopathists of Philadelphia. Dr. Westmore-
land employs two assistants in his office, where
many patients are treated daily, a fact which
shows the favor in which his methods of practice
are held.

R. C. P.EIDELMAN. "Squire" Beidelman,
as he is familiarly called, belongs to an old and
much respected family who trace their ancestry
back to Germany, but they have proved ever loyal
and faithfid to their adopted country, becoming



true American citizens in the best sense of that
term. Our subject's great-grandfather, Samuel
Beidelman, was born in Germany, and came to
the new world at an early date in the history of
the Lehigh Valley. Here he married Elizabeth
Hess, a native of Bucks county, Pennsylvania,
and to them were born several children who be-
came worthy citizens and prosperous agricultur-
ists in and adjacent to the Lehigh Valley.

One of the number, Abraham Beidelman, was
the grandfather of our subject. He was born in
Odenwildertown on the 26th of November, 1772,
and became a wealthy farmer, owning and oper-
ating a fine place of two hundred and sixty acres
of valuable land. He was an expert agriculturist
and a man of influence in his community. His
wife, who bore the maiden name of Catherine
Shireman, was a native of Forks township,
Northampton county. Of their ten children eight
reached manhood and womanhood, namely :
John, Jonathan, Daniel, Abraham, Susan, Lydia,
Margaret and Catherine. The father of this
family died in i860, and the mother departed thif>
life in 1864.

Daniel Beidelman, the third in order of birth
in the above family, and the father of our subject,
was born on the 13th of April, 18 12, in Forks
township, and became a well known and much
respected citizen of Northampton county. He
took quite an active part in local politics, and
faithfully served his county as a commissioner as
well as in other important offices. His political
support was always given the Democratic party
and he adhered firmly to its principles. He was
a good, practical farmer, and operated two farms
with much success. In early manhood he mar-
ried Miss Anna M. Christman, who was born in
Lower Saucon, December 11, 181 1, and died De-
cember 23, 1869. Their family consisted of three
sons : William, who was a distinguished member
of the Northampton county bar, and is now de-
ceased ; A. C, a prominent physician ; and R. C,
of this review.

R. C. Beidelman was born in Williams town-
ship, Northampton county, January 25, 1838, and
there he passed his boyhood and youth, attending-
the common schools of his native township, and



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



171



later a select school at Easton. For a number of
years he followed the free and independent life of
a farmer, but finally abandoned it for a position
as clerk in the freight office of the Lehigh Val-
ley Railroad, which position he acceptably filled
for twenty-three years.

On the 15th of September, 1864, Mr. Beidel-
man was married to Miss Ellen J. Reigel, whose
birth occurrred in Bath, Pennsylvania, IMarch 24,
1840, and whose parents were Daniel and Han-
nah Reigel. Our subject and his wife have three
children : Jennie M., who is now assistant head
nurse at the Germantow^n hospital ; William H.,
who is in the employ of the Lehigh Valley Rail-
road Company ; and Clara E.

Mr. and Mrs. Beidelman are members of St.
Paul's church, and are held in high regard by all
who know them. He has been called upon to fill
several offices of trust and responsibility, the du-
ties of which he most capably and satisfactorily
discharged. For five years he was a member of
the school board in Williams township, and for
twenty-five out of the thirty years he has spent
in the borough and city of Easton he has been
justice of the peace. Being a man of good judg-
ment and sound common sense he is well qualified
to fill such a position, and his administration has
been above reproach.

VALENTINE KRANTZ. This well known
and honored citizen of Easton, Pennsylvania,
whose home is on Butler street, is a native of
Germany, his birth having occurred near Worms,
on the river Rhine in 1830. His parents were
Philip and Catherine (Siebenwurst) Krantz, who
spent their entire lives in that country, and are
now deceased. In their family were three chil-
dren : Jacob, Elizabeth and Valentine.

Deciding to try his fortune in the new w'orld,
Valentine Krantz came to this country when a
young man, arriving in New York city on the
24th of April, 18=^3, after a stormy passage of
thirty-four days. The following June he came to
Easton, Pennsylvania, and here he has since made
his home. He had learned the shoemaker's trade
in a thorough manner in his native land, and was
abundantly able to compete with any of his craft



on this side of the Atlantic. After establishing
himself in business at Easton, his trade grew so
rapidly that he was soon forced to employ six-
competent men as assistants, but still the demand
for his work so increased that he was compelled
to enlarge his establishment and employ fifteen
more men. In connection with his shop he opened
a store, where the finest goods in his line could
be purchased. This business he profitably fol-
lowed for over thirty years, having the full and
complete confidence of his fellow citizens and
numerous patrons.

About four years after coming to Easton, Mr.
Krantz was married, in 1857, to Miss Sabina
Kline, who was born at J\Iount Bethel in 1826,
and departed this life in 1898, loved and respected
by all who knew her. The Kline family is one
of the oldest and most reliable of Mount BetheL
David Kline, the father of j\Irs. Krantz, was
also a shoemaker by trade, and was a most
estimable man. He was born in Dresden, Ger-
many, and emigrated to the LTnited States. The
Keifer family, to which his wife belonged, was
from Leipsic, Germany, and was founded in
America in 1743, their early home being at Eliza-
bethport. New Jersey, where they became large
landowners. Mrs. Krantz was one of a family
of eleven children who reached man and woman-
hood, and by her marriage she had five children,
namely : Lewis C, Anna M., Garibaldi, Elmer
G, and Elsworth L., deceased. The last two
were twins. Anna M. is now the wife of Paul
Mahn, a saddler, and has five children : Ruth
S., Clarence O., Frederick V., Naomi A., and
Louisa.

In 1875 Air. Krantz built his present brick
residence on Butler street, which is a substantial
and commodious structure, and on the ground
floor he has conducted a grocery store since
1888, having previously abandoned his trade orr
account of advancing years. He served his city
as tax collector for seven years in a very credit-
able and acceptable manner. He is one of the
most honest and conscientious of men, being hon-
est almost to a fault. He has a keen sense of
what is right, and is fearless in its prosecution,
as he loves to do right because it is right. These



172



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



principles of his life are not wholly accidental,
as he belongs to one of the noblest and best of
families. A near relative of his father is Mar-
g-wardt Krantz, who was a member of the French
cabinet during the Dreyfus trial, and by his ex-
pressions of sympathy for the defendant drew the
notice of the world. Our subject's father was
also a cousin of Rev. John Krantz, D. D., who is
general sales agent for the Methodist Book Con-
cern. It will thus be seen that Mr. Krantz comes
by his upright, honorable qualities very naturally,
and he is justly entitled to the respect and con-
fidence so freely accorded him.

ELLWOOD HAY, D. D. S., an accomplished
and well-established dental practitioner of Easton,
Pennsylvania, was born June ii, 1863. The Hay
family has been prominent from the beginning
of the history and development of the town. Its
■earliest representative, Melchoir Hay, came to
America in 1738, and settled on the land where
South Easton is now built. He helped survey
and lay out the town of Easton in 1750, and was
active for the colonies during the Revolution. He
was of Scotch-German ancestry. His father,
Malcom Hay, left Scotland for political reasons,
and settled in Germany. He married a woman of
that country, and three sons of this marriage emi-
grated to America. Melchoir, the progenitor of
the Easton branch of the family, had a son named
Melchoir, and from him came Abraham Horn,
Peter, George, Melchoir, Charles, and John Hay.
Prom Charles, through Adam Lewis, is descended
Ellwood Hay.

Adam Lewis Hay was a cabinet-maker, hav-
ing been regularly apprenticed to the trade, wliich
he followed during his lifetime. He was one of
the most skilled mechanics in Easton, and he
brought originality to his work. He was the first
man in town to put inside blinds in dwelling
liouses. But his interests were not bounded by
his trade. He held many local offices which attest
his puljlic spirit. He was a member of the
Lutheran church, a Democrat in poltics, and a
member of the order of Odd Fellows. ■ In 1846 he
married Elizabeth Smith, the daughter of a fel-
low-craftsman, Jacob Smith. Mr. Smith was a



native of Easton, and proficient in his trade. His
wife was Elizabeth (Hartley) Smith. Adam
Lewis and Elizabeth (Smith) Hay were the
parents of eight children — Maria, Jacob C,
Emily, Martha, Daniel (deceased), Adam
Lewis (deceased), Sally, and Ellwood.

Ellwood, the yougest of this large family, at-
tended school until he was thirteen years old. In
1878 he became assistant to Professor J. H.
Moore, of Lafayette College. He was so valued
in this position that he retained it for seven years
at great personal profit through residence and as-
sociation. Then, following the prompting of his
inherited mechanical tastes, he entered on an ap-
prenticeship in brass-working in the shops of
William H. Young, and then of the Lehigh Val-
ley Railroad Company. He followed the same
line of work in Scranton for two years, and later
was for two years under instruction in brass-
working in New York. After some further time
spent with the Lehigh Valley Company, he en-
tered the Pennsylvania Dental College at Philadel-
phia in 1892. He was graduated in 1895, and be-
gan practice in his native town. He makes a spe-
cialty of artificial gold work, a line for which his
training has most signally fitted him. That his
work is wisely chosen is shown by the large and
successful practice he has built up. Mr. Hay has
always taken an active interest in public affairs,
and his political sympathies are with the Demo-
cratic party.

He was first married, in 1886, to Miss Nettie
L. Young, a daughter of Jacob Young of Phil-
lipsburg. Mrs. Hay died in 1898, leaving one
daughter, Blanche Mlla. Mr. Hay was again
married, March 6, 1902, to Miss Jennie Jones, a
native of Wales, and a daughter of Morris Jones,
of Bangor.

CHARLES CHIPMAN. The success which
has attended the well directed efforts of Charles
Chipman, founder of one of the most thriving in-
dustries of Easton, Northampton county, Penn-
sylvania, is the result of practical business knowl-
edge, careful management, keen foresight, and
strict intcgritv, these qualities being exercised in
all his business transactions.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



173



Mr. Chipman is a native of Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, where he was reared and edu-
cated. At the age of eighteen years, when his
country was threatened with disruption and dis-
honor, he was fired with the true patriotic spirit
that prompts the bestowal of the best gifts, and,
inasmuch as there is no greater gift or sacrifice
than self, JNIr. Chipman willingly devoted his life
to his country. In 1861 he enlisted as a private
in the Fifth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer
Cavalry, served three years, was wounded once,
and for meritorious conduct in battle was pro-
moted to the rank of first sergeant, which posi-
tion he occupied at the time of his honorable dis-
charge. After the close of the war he engaged
in the express business, his route lying between
F'hiladelphia and Frankford, Pennsylvania, but
after a short period of time he discontinued this
industry on account of disease breaking out
among his horses. He then entered the employ
of a wholesale and retail paint firm on Market
street, Philadelphia, as a teamster, and his up-
right deportment and strict attention to business
won his promotion to the position of shipping
clerk and finally advanced to that of manager.
Upon the dissolution of the firm he was admitted
as a silent partner by William Evans, and after
the lapse of two years Mr. Chipman and the
book-keeper of the firm, Eugene Nice, formed a
partnership under the firm name of Chipman &
Nice, and up to the year 1884 conducted business
at the corner of Second and L^nion streets, Phila-
delphia. Mr. Chipman then inaugurated a ho-
siery business at Germantown, a suburb of Phila-
delphia, with a force of about one hundred and
twenty employees. In 1887 Frank L. Chipman,
son of Charles Chipman, became a member of the
firm, and in 1890 the establishment was removed
to Easton, Pennsylvania, and is now one of the
main supports of that city. In 1893, Charles
Chipman retired from business, and his other
son, W. E. Chipman, became a partner with his
brother, Frank L. Chipman. The sons grew up
in the hosiery industrv and are perfectly conver-
sant with all the details of the trade, and, under
their thoughtful and progressive management,
they are extending its business and capacity daily.



The firm is known as Charles Chipman Sons
Hosiery JNIills, and their plant, which gives em-
ployment to six hundred hands, is equipped with
a five hundred horse power engine. The business
has increased six hundred per cent, during the
years that have intervened between 1884 and the
present time (1903).

Mr. Chipman was united in marriage to Mary
Vanartsdalan, and their children were: i. Frank
L., who was united in marriage to Amelia Jones,
whose maternal grandfather brought the first
knitting machine from England to America;
Aaron Jones, father of Mrs. Frank L. Chipman,
was a member of the fimi of Aaron Jones's Sons,
manufacturers of fancy knit goods and hosiery.
Mr. and Mrs. Chipman are the parents of two
children, Charles and Ada Chipman. 2. Lillian.
3. W. E., who was united in marriage to Louisa
Sniflfen, of New York City, to whom one child
was born, John S. Chipman. 4. Harriet V. 5.
An infant, now deceased. Charles Chipman, father
of these children, is at present (1903) a resident
of Germantown, where he is much respected for
his sterling qualities. Mr. Chipman and his two
sons are honored members of the Masonic fra-
ternity. jMr. Chipman and his son, Frank L.
Chipman, are both members of Stephen Girard
Bhie Lodge, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Oriental
Chapter, and Dadast Commandery. W. E. Chip-
man is a member of Stephen Girard Blue Lodge,
No. 450; Easton Chapter, No. 137, and Hugh
De Payen Commandery, No. 19.

JACOB H. ]\IUTCHLER is a descendant of
one of the old and well knwn families of the Le-
high Valley, its progenitors having been John and
A'alentine Alutchler, brothers, natives of Ger-
many, who emigrated to the United States in
1752. They located in Warren county. New Jer-
sey, on what was known as Marble Hill, but that
vicinity at the present time (1903), is known as
the "Mellick Farm."

A'alentine IMutchler, the progenitor of the
branch of the family to which Jacob H. Mutchler
belongs, was an upright, conscientious man, and
during his active career followed the occupations,
of stone mason and farmer. He married Caro-



174



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



line Stonebach, and the issue of this marriage was
several children, all of whom were born in War-
ren county, New Jersey. This worthy couple
were the ancestors of a numerous and respected
line of descendants who became active and loyal
citizens.

Valentine JMutchler, son of Valentine and Car-
oline (Stonebach) Mutchler, followed the ex-
ample of his father and during his early life
served an apprenticeship in learning the stone
mason trade, and pursued this line of industry in
■connection with farming a large tract of land
which he owned in Warren county. New Jersey.
Valentine Mutchler and his wife were the parents
of the following named children : John, Samuel,
Mary, George W., and Elizabeth Mutchler.

John Mutchler, eldest son of Valentine Mutch-
ler, and grandfather of Jacob H. Mutchler, was
born in Warren county. New Jersey in 1792, and
like his father and grandfather followed the oc-
cupation of stone mason in addition to agricul-
tural pursuits. He removed from New Jersey, in
1824, locating at Chain Dam, Pennsylvania,
where he was an active and prominent factor in
the industrial and social interests of the com-
munity. He was a member of the Masonic fra-
ternity. John Mutchler and his wife, Margaret
(Mellick) Mutchler, born in 1798, were the
parents of eleven children, all of whom were born
in New Jersey, namely: George, Henry M., Val-
entine, Ellen, Jacob, Jane, John, William, James,
Godfrey, and an unnamed infant. Valentine
Mutchler, the third son of John and Margaret
Mutchler, was born in 1824, married Mary Brotz-
man, and after her decease married Susanna
Knoble, of Williams township, Northampton
county, who bore him nine children ; he had one
child, who survived, by his former wife. Valen-
tine Mutchler was colonel of a regiment of mili-
tia, held many local ofifices, and was a man of
influence and prominence in the community. John
Mutchler, father of these children, died October
4, 1838, survived by his wife, whose death oc-
curred in the year 1863.

George Mutchler, eldest son of John and
Margaret (Mellick) Mutchler, and father of
Jacob H. Mutchler, was born in the state of New



Jersey in 1818. After attaining man's estate he
chose the vocation of farming, and his entire
business career was characterized by the utmost
honesty and integrity. He married Christiana
Heil, who was born in Mount Bethel, in 1824, and
five children were the issue of this union, four of
whom are living at the present time (1903):
John and Jacob H., twins, born in 1852 ; John is
now engaged in the capacity of city clerk of Eas-
ton. W. A., born in 1855 ; Mrs. R. A. Middaugh,
born in 1847.

Jacob H. Mutchler, son of George and Chris-
tiana (Heil) Mutchler, is one of the represen-
tative and highly respected citizens of Easton,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania. He is an
expert machinist by trade, having followed this
occupation since he was seventeen years of age.
He is a member of Dallas Lodge, No. 396, Free
and Accepted jVIasons ; also a member of Lehic-
ton Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

DANIEL ZEHNDER. Among the business
men of Easton, Pennsylvania, who have achieved
financial success through their own indomitable
energy, great enterprise and executive ability, may
be mentioned the name of Daniel Zehnder, a na-
tive of South Side, Easton, his birth having oc-
curred there July i, 1859.

Anthony Zehnder, father of Daniel Zehnder,
was a native of Switzerland, from which coun-
try he emigrated to the LTnited States, accom-
panied by his wife, Sophia (Axley) Zehnder,
also a native of Switzerland, in 1853. They lo-
cated in South Easton, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, where Mr. Zehnder, being a man of
more than ordinary intelligence and ability, cap-
able and willing to perform any kind of honest
service, pusued various vocations in which he was
eminently successful. Eleven children, all of



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 31 of 92)