John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 33 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 33 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Illinois, and during that time he acquired an ex-
tensive and valuable experience which has proved
of great benefit to him in his career. In 1900 he
located in Easton and purchased a piece of prop-
erty whereon he erected a commodious building,,
and the following year he established his present
business. He deals in meat, fruits, vegetables,
poultry, pigeons, fish, oysters and clams in their
season, and has an extensive poultry yard where
he keeps and cares for his live stock, killing them
to fill his orders. In connection with his business
in Easton, Mr. Ealer owns a farm of one hundred
and ten acres of valuable land in Bucks county,
Pennsylvania, situated on the Delaware river,
where he grows vegetables and fuits, and raises
the best beef and mutton for his Easton market.
His trade is both wholesale and retail. His es-
tablishment is equipped with all the modern im-
provements for convenience and dispatch, there-
fore he enjoys a large and select patronage and
retains the complete confidence of his numerous-
customers. He is a prominent member of the
Royal Arcanum.

On May 21, 1898, was celebrated the unniage
of Mr. Ealer and Nora Kiser, a native of Bucks
county, Peiiusylvania. Four children were born,
to them, three of whom arc living at the present
time (1904), Edith, Mabel, and Stella Ealer.

THOMAS J. KOCH, of Easton. Pennsyl-
vania, is one of the selfmade men who are the
bone and sinew of our commercial life. Begin-
ning as a poor boy, he has built up a prosperous
business and established an attractive home.

David Koch, father of Thomas, was one of
the early boatmen on the canal. His wife was
Mary, daughter of Joseph Deibard, a farmer of
Northampton county. Joseph Deibard's wife
bore the family name of Dreisbach, and she be-
came the mother of six children. David and
Mary (Deibard) Koch were the parents of three
sons, William, Joseph, Thomas J., of whom one



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



181



is now deceased, aiid one daughter, Flora, also
dead. David died in 1857, and his wife in 1898.

Thomas J., son of David and Mary (Deibard)
Koch, was born in Northampton covmty, Decem-
ber 23, 1855. He was reared in the county of
his birth, and educated in the common school.
In early life he followed the canal, as many
another poor boy has done who has afterward
gained a competence. He spent some time in
the service of the railroad, and then turned his
attention to the mercantile business. He is now
engaged in the grocery line, and has his full share
of the custom of his townspeople.

In August, 1883, he married Edna E., daugh-
ter of William and Catherine Bachman. j\lrs.
Koch was born in Palmer township, July 6, 1863.
Her grandfather was John Bachman, who mar-
ried Sarah Ruser, and reared a family of five
children, whose descendants are among the best
■citizens of the Lehigh Valley. One son, Ray-
mond Stanley Koch, has been born to Mr. and
Mrs. Koch. They are members of the Memorial
church, in which Mr. Koch has held the office of
■deacon for the past three years.

JOSIAH STEINER. The Steiner family in
Pennsylvania first appear as German emigrants
in the early history of the Lehigh Valley. They
settled in Northampton county, and in the new
environment have been transformed, in their cb.il-
dren, into healthful and loyal citizens of the
republic.

The first ancestor of whom there is record is
John Steiner, father of Josiah Steiner, and all that
is known concerning him is that he was born in
Bucks county, of German parents. Pie was a
shoemaker, and with him the trade became a fine
art. He held to this vocation all his life, and was
a sturdy and self-respecting member of society.
His wife was Jane Yoekins, and to the couple
were born eight children, of whom five were liv-
ing in 1903.

Josiah, one of the children of John and Jane
(Yoekins) Steiner, was born in Bucks county, in
1827. In 1843 he came to Easton, where he has
since made his home. He never learned a trade,
but he is by nature a mechanic, capable of turn-



ing his hand to any complex piece of mechanism.
He built his own cominiodious and comfortable
home in Easton, in 1886. For twenty years he
was night foreman in the Lehigh Valley Railroad
shops, but in 1893 he gave up this work as too
arduous for his years, though he is still hale and
vigorous. Unable to throw off the habits of an
active and useful life, he occupies himself in as-
sisting his son in the shop which was later added
to his original building. In his shop all kinds of
small repair work is skillfully and practically
executed.

Mr. Steiner married Mary E. Scott, a distant
relative of General Winfield Scott. She was born
in Easton, in 1833, and died there at the age of
sixty years. j\lr. and JNIrs. Steiner were faith-
ful members of the Evangelical church. Seven
children were born of this union, two of whom
are living, Henry W. and Isbin.

Henry W., son of Josiah and Mary E. (Scott)
Steiner, was born in Easton, was reared and
educated there, and has lived there all his life
with the exception of two years spent in Allen-
town. From his father and grandfather he in-
herited mechanical aptitude that led him to adopt
the trade of a mechanist, which he learned in
Easton. He is a master mechanic, and thor-
oughly equipped for all kinds of first class work.
He has a most unusual grasp of mechanical prin-
ciples, and has devoted much time to invention.
He has secured letters patent on a gravity win-
dow blind hinge, which is extensively in use. He
has also invented a blind fastener, and has pat-
ented and put upon the market a wire lawn rake,
as well as a spool-holder and thread-cutter. These
articles are all in use to-day, and attest the me-
chanical genius of one of Easton's most worthy
sons.

Henry W. Steiner married Emma A., daugh-
ter of Jonathan Gross. No children have been
bom of this marriage.

THOMAS CALLAHAN, a respected and
worthy citizen of Easton, Pennsylvania, who,
for thirty-five years has been an efficient and
trusted employee of the Lehigh \^alley Railroad
Companv, serving during that long period of time



52

i I



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



in various capacities, was born October i6,
1844, in Easton, Northampton county, Pennsyl-
vania, on what is known as Gallows Hill. This
section of the city, on which the Roman Catholic
church is now located, derived its name from the
number of public executions which took place
there during the early period of its history.

Patrick Callahan, father of Thomas Calla-
han, was born in Westmeath, Ireland, in 1802.
He was reared to manhood in his native country,
received the education afforded by the schools
of that day and in 1S29 emigrated to the United
States and settled in Easton, Pennsylvania. He
was united in marriage to Unity McCarty, and
they were the parents of four children — John ;
Rose, deceased ; Elizabeth ; and Thomas Calla-
han. John Callahan, the eldest son, was born in
Easton, Pennsylvania, in 1837, enlisted in the
United States service when Fort Sumter was
fired upon, and was the second man to sign the
roll in Company C, First Regiment, Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry, Captain W. H. Armstrong,
commanding. After three months service he
was honorably discharged, and then was instru-
mental in the reorganization of Company E,
Forty-seventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer
Infantry, in which he served in the capacity of
sergeant. After serving his time with this regi-
■ ment, he enlisted in Company B, Eighty-sixth
Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry,
which formed a part of the Army of the Potomac,
and participated in many of the engagements in
Virginia. In 1868 he enlisted in the United
States navy and was assigned to duty on the
frigate "Franklin," which was the flagship in the
east, and after the term of his enlistment expired
he was discharged with the rank of purser's yeo-
man. He then returned to his home in Easton,
Pennsylvania, but in 1874 again enlisted in the
United States navy on the monitor "Canonicus",
which was assigned to the Pacific squadron. He
again returned to his native city, but after a few
years residence there became an inmate of the
Soldiers' Home in Dayton, Ohio.

Thomas Callahan, son of Patrick and Unity
Callahan, attended the common schools of Eas-
ton, Pennsylvania, where he obtained a practical



education which prepared him for a life cf use-
fulness and energy. After the death of his father,
which occurred in 1854, he was employed by Mr.
Rinicks on the rope walk. In 1861 he enlisted in
Company E, Forty-seventh Regiment, Pennsyl-
vania Volunteer Infantry, for three years. The
regiment was assigned to the Department of the
South, which was commanded by General David
D. Hunter, and participated in the battle of
Pocotaligo, South Carolina, and in the Red River
expedition from start to finish. Air. Callahan
was never sick, wounded or imprisoned during
his service. For his meritorious conduct on the
field of battle he was promoted to the rank of
corporal, and as such was honorably discharged
from the service of the United States government
in 1864. He then re-enlisted for the term of one
year in the same regiment and company, which
was assigned to duty in the Shenandoah \'alley,
under the command of General Sheridan, and
here the fighting was fierce and severe. The
regiment was then sent to South Carolina to per-
form prison guard duty, and in 1866 it was
mustered out, being the last Pennsylvania regi-
ment to be released from the service of the United
States.

Upon his return to civil life, Mr. Callahan
was employed for a short period of time by the
Keystone Bridge Company, and in 1868 entered
the employ of the Lehigh \^alley Railroad Com-
pany, with whom he has been continuously con-
nected up to the present time (1903), a period
of thirty-five years. He first served as a switch-
man, from that position was promoted to yard
clerk, then to drill brakeman, then to regular
road brakeman, and then to his present position
of conductor, which was assigned to him in 1886.
He was a passenger conductor on special excur-
sion trains for a length of time, then on a regu-
lar train running between Easton and Jersey
City, but at the present time he is employed on
a train running between Easton and Mauch
Chunk. During his many years of faithful and
conscientious performance of duty and adherence
to the interests of the railroad company, Mr. Cal-
lahan has never met with any accident or mis-
fortune. The record of his career from boyhood



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



183



up is one that any man might be proud of, and is
well worthy of emulation. ]\Ir. Callahan is an
honored member of the Royal Arcanum.

In 1868 Mr. Callahan married iMay A. Har-
vey, daughter of Peter and Jane Harvey, and
granddaughter of James Barnes, of Phillipsburg,
New Jersey, who was a soldier in the war of 1812.
Mrs. Callahan was born in Easton, Pennsylvania,
November 9th, 1849. Two children were born of
this union — .\nn E., wife of D. S. Sheimer, and
Edward T., employed as a passenger brakeman
of the Lehigh \^alley Railroad. Peter Harvev,
father of Mrs. Callahan, was a native of Lower
Saucon township, was a bricklayer and contractor
by occupation, and an expert mechanic, as was
proven by the fact that he was chosen to build
many of the large furnaces in the county. His
wife, Jane (Barnes) Harvey, was a native of
Phillipsburg, New Jersey, and bore him eight
children, five of whom are living at the present
time. Two of their sons, James and Harry, are
engaged as clerks in the freight office of the Le-
high Valley Railroad Company.

CHARLES FRACE. The first of the Frace
family of whom we have any authentic history
is Jacob Frace (i), who was probably of German
descent. If he was not born in New Jersey he
at least resided there for some time, and subse-
quently removed to Forks township, Northamp-
ton county, Pennsylvania, where he bought
three hundred acres of valuable land still in its
primitive condition. He married a Miss Hun-
sicker, by whom he had seven children who be-
came worthy members of society and active in
the work of the Forks Reformed church to
which they belonged.

One of this family was Jacob Frace (2), who
was born in Oxford township, Warren county.
New Jersey, and came with his father to North-
ampton county, Pennsylvania. He also owned
three hundred acres of land, and was a good prac-
tical man and an esteemed citizen of the com-
munity in which he made his home. In early
manhood he married ]\Iiss Susan Kemmerer, who
died in 1859, and he passed away in 1847. ^^
their family were the following children : Jacob,



Peter, Lydia, Elizabeth, Susanna. Sebina, Levina
and Sophia.

Jacob Frace (3) was born in Forks township
in October, 1814, and devoted his life to agri-
cultural pursuits, owning and operating two
farms, one of one hundred and twenty-five acres,
and the other of forty-three acres. He applied
himself diligently to his chosen work, which he
thoroughly understood, and being a man of good
business ability he met with success. In 1840 he
led to the marriage altar Miss Sebina Lerch, a
daughter of Frederick Lerch, and their union was
blessed b}^ six children, namely : Susan, born Oc-
tober II, 1840; Ellen, deceased, born May 21,
1844; Edwin, born November 29, 1845; Jacob,
deceased, born in 1847 ! Charles, born December
15, 1850 ; and Emma, deceased, born !\Iav 23,
1858. The father of this family died in 1858, and
was long survived by his wife, who departed this
life in 1876. Both were earnest and consistent
members of the Forks Reformed church, where
the father was honored with the offices of elder
and deacon. He was a man of sterling worth and
upright character, and had the respect and esteem
of all who knew him.

Charles Frace, whose name introduces this
memoir, grew to manhood upon his father's farm,
attending the common schools of Forks township
and assisting in the labors of field and meadow.
Later he entered Trach"s Academy, where he
fitted himself for school teaching, which profes-
sion he followed with good success for four
years. At the end of that time he removed to
Easton and entered a mercantile business, to
which he devoted his attention for the following
four years. He then resumed farming, and in
1877 bought his present farm of fifty-nine acres,
which he has since improved and has erected
thereon a fine substantial barn. He also owns
another farm of seventy-two acres on Chestnut
Hill. For some time he devoted his attention ex-
clusively to general farming, but since 1883 his
interests have been principally centered in the
dairy business at Zero. He now owns a fine herd
of twenty-five milch cows, and handles about
seventy gallons of milk and cream per day. He
is a successful business man, enterprising, pro-



1 84



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



gressive and energetic, and the prosperity that
has come to him is certainly well deserved. In
1876 he served as juryman on the Loras case in
the county court, and he has served his township
in various official capacities, being a man of in-
fluence in his community.

In 1875 Mr. Frace was united in marriage to
Miss Sarah A. Woodring, who was born in
Forks township in 1857, a daughter of John J.
and Mary A. Woodring. Her paternal grand-
father, John Woodring, was a native of Germany,
and emigrated to America with two brothers,
settling in Williams township, Northampton
•county, Pennsylvania. To him and his wife, who
bore the maiden name of Lollick, were born seven
children, as follows : George, John, Philip, Jo-
seph, Mary, Chrisette and Mrs. Aaron Golt.
Mrs. Frace's father was born in Williams town-
ship, and when a young man removed to Forks
township, where he was married and reared his
family, consisting of eight children. Five of the
number are still living, and continue to reside in
Forks township. Mr. and Mrs. Frace have four
children: Ida, born September 30, 1876; Mary
A., born July 4, 1878; John H., born July 25,
1884; and Stella S., born October 3, 1889. Mary
A. is now the wife of Dr. Harley Ackerman. The
family hold membership in the Forks Reformed
church and are people of prominence in the com-
munity where they reside.

LEIGHTON WILSON ECKARD, D. D.,
pastor of the Brainerd Union church, at Easton,
Pennsylvania, was born at Savannah, Georgia,
September 23, 1845, ^"d comes of an ancestry
honorable and distinguished. His paternal grand-
father, Joachim Frederick Eckard, was the son
of a clergyman, and was born on the island of
St. Thomas. He became Danish consul to Phil-
adelphia, his commission being dated 1805. He
afterward maintained his residence in Philadel-
phia, but was the owner of a cofifee plantation in
the West Indies. Soon after his arrival in Amer-
ica he was married to Susan Reed, the wedding
being celebrated in 1803. Mrs. Eckard was born
in Philadelphia on Christmas Day of 1876, and
was a daughter of Colonel James, and a grand-



daughter of Colonel John Reed, of Maryland and
Delaware. Her uncle, George Reed, of Delaware,
was one of the signers of the Declaration of In-
dependence. Her father joined the Continental
army for service in the war of the Revolution,
received succcessive promotion from the rank of
first lieutenant and won that of colonel in recogni-
tion of gallant and distinguished service at the
battles of Trenton, Princeton, Brandywine and
Germantown. In 1778 he was appointed by con-
gress one of the three "commissioners of the
Navy of the Middle States."

Rev. James Reed Eckard, D. D., was born in
Philadelphia November 22, 1805, and completed
his literary education by graduation in the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania with the class of 1823.
He then took up the study of law in the office
of John M. Read, Esq., and became a practitioner
at the Philadelphia bar, where he remained for
three years. On the expiration of that period he
studied theology, and was graduated from Prince-
ton Seminary with the class of 1833. In the
same year he was married, and then went as mis-
sionary to India, remaining for a decade in the
orient. After his return in 1843 he served as
principal of Chatham Academy, in Savannah,
Georgia, for three years, or until 1846. He was
pastor of the Second Presbyterian church in
Washington, D. C, from 1848 until 1858, and
was professor of rhetoric in Lafayette College
from 1858 until 1871. His degree of Doctor of
Divinity was conferred upon him by that college
in 1858. His political allegiance was given to
the Republican party, and after a long, active,
useful and honorable career of more than eighty-
one years he passed away at Abington, Pennsyl-
vania, March 12, 1887. His wife, to whom he
was married May 26, 1833, bore the maiden name
of Margaret Esther Bayard, and was born in
Savannah, Georgia, October 18, 1810, while
her death occurred in February, 1872. She
was a daughter of Dr. Nicholas and Esther Bay-
ard, of Savannah, the latter a daughter of Major
General Lachlan Mcintosh. In 1775 General
Mcintosh was made commander-in-chief of the
western department of the United States army,
and he was also a L^nited States commissioner.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



185



Rev. Leighton W. Eckard, having completed
a preparatory course of study in Emerson Insti-
tute in Washington, D. C, entered Lafayette Col-
lege of Pennsylvania, in which he was graduated
with the class of 1866. He prepared for the min-
istry as a student in Princeton Theological Sem-
inary, of which he is an alumnus of 1869. He
was master orator in Lafayette College in the
same 3'ear, and soon afterward he started as a
missionarv to China, where he remained for five
years, or until 1874. Since that time he has
devoted his life to the work of the ministry in his
native country. In 1875 he became pastor of the
Presbyterian church in Abington, Pennsylvania,
a relation that was maintained for seventeen con-
secutive years and since that time he has been
pastor of the Brainerd Union church at Easton.
He is a man of scholarly attainments, and his
ability and devotion to his work has made his
influence of no restricted order. He is now one of
the trustees of Lafayette College, and educational
as well as religious development find in him a
strong advocate. That institution conferred upon
him the degree of Doctor of Divinity in 1890.
His social affiliation is with the order of the Cin-
cincinnati of the State of Georgia, of which he has
served as chaplain ; the Huguenot Society, the
Sons of the American Revolution, and the Phi
Kappa Sigma fraternity.

On the 3d of June, 1869, Dr. Eckard was
married in the Central Presbyterian church at
Philadelphia to Elizabeth Abbott Longstreth of
Philadelphia, a daughter of Thomas Mufflin and
Deborah Longstreth. Her father was de-
scended from Bartholomew Longstreth, who
came to America in 1697 from Long-
strethdale, Yorkshire, England. He was one
of the petitioners to the English king ask-
ing that William Penn might not be deprived
of his government in the province. Associated
with Thomas Fairman, surveyor to William Penn,
he accumulated large means, and died in 1749,
leaving a valuable estate of one thousand acres of
land in Bucks county, Pennsylvania. Joshua
Longstreth, a brother of Thomas Longstreth, was
a prominent importer, and a leader in financial
circles in Philadelphia, being connected as di-



rector with the Philadelphia National Bank and
with other moneyed institutions. He resided at
his country seat, Barclay Hill, until his death in
1869. Thomas Longstreth was a merchant of
Philadelphia, and a member of the Society of
Friends. His wife bore the maiden name of
Deborah M. Dempsey. To Rev. Leighton W. and
Elizabeth A. (Longstreth) Eckard were born five
children. Rev. James Mcintosh Longstreth
Eckard, the eldest, born in Chefoo, China, May
23, 1870, was educated in the LTniversity of Penn-
sylvania, the Edinburg University of Scotland,
and Princeton Theological Seminary. He is now
a Presbyterian clergyman, being pastor of the
churches at Volga, Dakota, and at Northumber-
land, Pennsylvania. Esther Longstreth, born
August 27, 1872, at Chefoo, China, is the wife of
Andrew H. Reeder, a mining engineer, now re-
siding in Virginia. Helen Nevius, born Feb-
ruary 17, 1876, is at home. Bayard Gelston, born
December 25, 1878, is an electrical engineer.
Jennie Louise Eckard, the youngest, was born
June 26, 1882.

EDWARD INSLEY HUNT. Ralph Hunt,
the progenitor of the American branch of the
Hunt family, was a native of England, from
which country he emigrated to America, at an
early period, and settled in Queens county. Long
Island. The line of descent is as follows : Samuel
Hunt, son of Ralph Hunt, was a prominent resi-
dent of Queens county. Long Island, but subse-
quentlv changed his place of residence to Law-
renceville, New Jersey. He was the father of
Thomas Hunt, who was born about the year
1705, and was the owner of a large tract of land
in Greenwich, Sussex county, now Warren coun-
tv. New Jersey. Edward Hunt, son of Thomas
Hunt, was born in 1734, married in 1759, Mary
• , and at some period prior to 1772 be-
came a resident of Greenwich, Sussex countv.
New Jersey. In 1772 he purchased from Israel
Pemberton a two hundred and twenty-two and a
half acre tract of land lying at the junction of the
Delaware and IMusconetcong Rivers, a portion
of the Penn tract. Edward Hunt was an active
participant in the Revolutionary war, and was the



1 86



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



founder of the hamlet at Rigglesville, Warren
county, New Jersey.

John Hunt (grandfather), son of Edward
and Mary Hunt, was born in the locality now
known as Rigglesville, Warren county, New Jer-
sey, December i8, 1773. In early life he learned
the trade of tanner, but after a few years he
abandoned this occupation and turned his atten-
tion to agricultural pursuits. Mr. Hunt was twice
married, his first wife having been Ann Taylor,
daughter of George Taylor ; she was born June
27, 1775, and died in the year 1846. His second
wife was Catherine Maxwell, to whom he was
united in marriage May 21, 1848. The death of
John Hunt occurred in 1851, at his home in
Rigglesville, New Jersey.

George Hunt (father), son of John and Ann
Hunt, was born November 8, 1799, in the vi-
cinity of Rigglesville, New Jersey. He was a
farmer by occupation, a Whig and afterwards a
Republican in politics, and a member of the Luth-
eran church at Rigglesville. Mr. Hunt married,
February 26, 1826, Mary Insley, daughter of
Godfrey Insley, and the issue of this union was
four children — Elizabeth, John, Edward I., and



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 33 of 92)