John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 34 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 34 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Ann Hunt. George Hunt, father of these chil-
dren, died at his home July 31, 1866.

Edward I. Hunt, second son of George and
Mary Hunt, was bom near Rigglesville, Warren
county. New Jersey, September 17, 1832. His
educational advantages were obtained in the
schools of Lebanon, New Jersey. He remained
on the home farm until he was twenty-five years
of age, when he located in Illinois, and for three
years was engaged in the milling and distilling
business. After the expiration of this period of
time he returned to New Jersey, engaged in mer-
cantile business at Little York, Hunterdon coun-
ty, and in connection with this enterprise oper-
ated a milling and distilling business up to the
year 1864. He then located in Easton, North-
ampton county, Pennsylvania, purchased the
properly at 115 Northampton street, and built
a large brick building and established a hardware
store, which he conducted successfully until 1898.
Since that date he has been engaged in the real
estate business, the principal part of his transac-



tions being the laying out of suburbs in Phillips-
burg, New Jersey. He is a director of the Easton
National Bank and the Stewart Wire Company,
and is a member of the Pomfret Club. Mr. Hunt
has always been a man of great energy, wonder-
ful industry, and an ability far above the aver-
age, and to the exercise of these characteristics is
due the success which he has achieved in the
commercial world. In politics Mr. Himt ably
supports the candidates of the Republican party,
and in religion he adheres to the tenets of the
Lutheran denomination, being a member of
Christ Lutheran church of Easton, Pennsylvania.
On November 26, 1857, Mr. Hunt married
Sarah Lesh, daughter of Henry Lesh, and her
death occurred November 3, 1892. Their chil-
dren are: i. Maria Margaret, wife of J. L. Lud-
low, of Winston, North Carolina, and they are
the parents of three daughters — Annie, ]\Iargaret,
and Louisa Ludlow. 2. Susan, wife of William
E. Howell ; they have two children, jNIildred
Howell, and ]Mary Insley. 3. Sally Insle}', wife
of Wayne Dumont, of Paterson, New Jersey.
4. Annie, w'ife of Dr. G. H. ]\Ieekcr, of Phila-
delphia, Pennsylvania.

FRANCIS H. LEHR, actively engaged in the
practice of law in the city of Easton, Northampton
county, Pennsylvania, since September, 1871, was
born January 4, 1842, in Roxburg, now East
Bangor, Northampton county, Pennsylvania, a
son of John and Elizabeth Lehr, and grandson of
Frederick P. and Elizabeth Lehr or Loehr, as the
name was spelled in the early generations.

Frederick P. Loehr (grandfather) came from
Walhalben, near Zwei Brucken, Rhenish Bavaria,
Germany, in the year 1806, and settled in Upper
Mount Bethel. Having learned the trade of tailor
in his native country, he pursued that line of in-
dustry, in connection with farming, after his ar-
rival in the new world. He was a member of the
Lutheran church, and in politics adhered to the
principles of the old line Whig party. Frederick
P. Loehr and his wife, Elizabeth (Reiser) Loehr,
were the parents of the following named chil-
dren : Joseph, John, Katherine, Sarah, Rebecca.
For his second wife Frederick P. Loehr married



I



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



187



Miss Eva Bartholomew, and tlieir children were:
Jacob, ^^'ashing;ton, Henry, Eva, Matilda, Mary,
and Amanda Loehr.

John Lehr (father) was born in Williams-
burg, Pennsylvania, October 28, 181 1, and, upon
the completion of his studies, learned the trade
of tailor with his father. He followed this oc-
cupation for several years, and then turned his
attention to farming, in which vocation he was
highly successful, and was considered one of the
model farmers in Forks township, whither he
removed in 1844, and where he resided up to the
tim.e of his decease. Mr. Lehr was an upright,
conscientious man, a member of the Lutheran
church, and formerly an old line Whig, but dur-
ing the latter years of his life an adherent of the
Republican party. In 1832 he was united in mar-
riage to Elizabeth Schoch, daughter of Henry and
Magdalene (Beck) Schoch, and their children
are : William, Caroline, Francis H., and Emma
Lehr. John Lehr, father of these children, died
in 1889, survived by his wife, w-hose death oc-
curred in the year 1896, at the age of eighty-four
years.

Francis H. Lehr, second son of John and
Elizabeth Lehr, obtained an excellent English
education in the private schools of Easton, North-
ampton county, which thoroughly qualified him
for the position of teacher, in which capacity he
served for eight years in the country and four
years in the city of Easton. Mr. Lehr then took
up the study of law in the office of Judge H. D.
Maxwell, was admitted to the Northampton coun-
ty bar in September, 187 1, and since that date
has continuously and successfully practiced his
profession in Easton, Pennsylvania, where he
has gained an enviable reputation as a careful
and conservative adviser. Mr. Lehr has always
taken a deep interest in public affairs, and served
for some years in the city council and the school
board.

On January 5, 1867, occurred the marriage
of Francis H. Lehr and Ellen E. Walter, of
Palmer township, a daughter of Michael and
Elizabeth (Hellick) Walter. Their children are :
I. Horace, born ]\Iay 14, 1868, who acquired his
education at Lafayette College, from which in-



stitution he was graduated in 1887. Two years
later he established the Lehr Piano and Organ
manufactory, and has built up a successful busi-
ness. For several years he served in the capacity
of president of the common council, and in 1902,
was elected mayor of Easton. He married Irene
Algert, a native of Easton, Pennsylvania, and
their children are : Horace, Jr., Henry, Elizabeth,
and Irene Lehr. 2. Walter, born October 22,
1871, was a student at Lafayette College, and at
the present time (1903) is engaged in business
with his brother, Horace Lehr. He is now a
member of the select council of Easton. Walter
Lehr married Etta Barber, of Phillipsburg, New
Jersey, and they are the parents of the following
named children: Francis H., Emily, and A'ir-
ginia Lehr. 3. Frances, born April 16, 1884.
Mr. Lehr and his family are members of St.
Paul's Lutheran church of Easton, Pennsylvania.
He has been for twenty-five years the superin-
tendent of the Sunday school of that church; and
was for a number of years the president of the
Young Men's Christian Association of Easton
during its early history.

JAMES W. WEAVER, prominent among
the enterprising business men of Easton, Pennsyl-
vania, is the bearer of a name which has for two
generations been identified with the mining in-
terests of the county, and which has always been
synonymous with sound business ability and good
citizenship.

Valentine W. Weaver, son of Charles Weaver,
was born in 1826, in Richmond, Northampton
county, Pennsylvania, and began life for himself
as clerk in a store in Easton. He afterward
learned the trade of a machinist, and obtained a
position with the Lehigh Crane Iron Company
as mining superintendent, where he fully demon-
strated his ability for his chosen calling. Janu-
ary I, 1863,- he entered the service of the
Thomas Iron Company as superintendent of the
Hokendauqua Furnaces, a position which he held
for five vears, and at the end of that time became
one of the organizers of the Lock Ridge Iron
Companv, in which he held the office of superin-
tendent. In 1868 this company was purchased



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



by the Thomas Iron Company, with whom Mr.
Weaver remained after the transfer, retaining his
position as superintendent. Subsequently he was
for a time connected with the Pine Grove Furn-
ace Company, in Cumberland county, which also
belonged to the Thomas Iron Company, and en-
gaged with another company to purchase the
Macungie Iron Works, of which he became gen-
eral manager. In 1877 the company retired from
business, and from 1880 to 1885 he was superin-
tendent of the Coplay Iron Company, Limited.
In the latter year he retired from business, leaving
a record of more than thirty arduous, useful and
honorable years. He was a member of the Ma-
sonic order, and in his political affiliations a Re-
publican. His church membership was with the
Presbyterian denomination. He married, in
1847, Mary, daughter of Jacob Mickley, and they
became the parents of the following children :
Charles, who died in infancy ; William M., de-
ceased; James W., mentioned at length herein-
after; Anna Elizabeth, Valentine W., Jr., Mary
Jane Bachman, Kate May, and Emily Rebecca.

James W. Weaver, son of Valentine W. and
Mary (Mickley) Weaver, was born November
3, 1852, in Catasauqua, Lehigh county, and was
educated in his native place, and at the W^'oming
Seminary, in Kingston. Previous to this he had
learned the machinist trade, after which his busi-
ness life began in the office of the Thomas Iron
Company, at Lock Ridge, where he was employed
as telegraph operator and assistant in the office.
In 1872 he went to Pine Grove Furnace, Cum-
berland county, as assistant cashier, and after a
short time served as conductor for four and a half
years on the South Mountain Railroad, which is
now a part of the Philadelphia and Reading
branch of the Harrisburg and Gettysburg Rail-
road, and, in 1879, became cashier to the Coplay
Iron Company. In 1883 he removed to Easton,
having accepted the position of accountant in the
office of the Thomas Iron Company. For ten
years he labored in the discharge of the duties of
this office with conspicuous energy and fidelity,
and, on February 6. 1893, was elected secretary
and treasurer. In these positions, which he still
holds, the traits of character which displayed



themselves in his earlier career have become still
more evident by reason of the greater scope af-
forded them by the wider field in which they are
now called into action. Mr. Weaver's townsmen
have given proof of their reliance on his judgment
and their confidence in his integrity by electing
him for two terms a member of the board of con-
trol, and he was later elected president, which
position he now holds. In the sphere of politics
the principles and measures of the Republican
party have ever found in him a stanch supporter.
He and his family are members of St. John's
Lutheran church.

Mr. Weaver married, September 3, 1873,
Emily, daughter of Thomas Givler, of Carlisle,
Cumberland county. The following children
have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Weaver: Bessie
May, who is the wife of William C. Hood, of
Stroudsburg, P'ennsylvania ; Emily M., who mar-
ried Stanton W. Godley, of Easton, and has one
child, Edith Weaver ; James William ; Hellen .■\.,
.who died at four years of age ; Charles Valen-
tine, John Thomas, and Elizabeth Givler. '

NELSON PEREZ CORNELL, a leading
business man and public-spirited citizen of Eas-
ton, Pennsylvania, is a representative of one of
the notable families founded by English ancestors
who in the early years of the seventeenth century
left their native land to seek a home in the Amer-
ican colonies, to the upbuilding of which, as well
as to the prosperity of our national life, their
descendants have so largely contributed, and
where the names of the emigrant forefathers are
still held in honored remembrance.

Thomas Cornell (i) was born about 1595, in
the county of Essex, England, and married Re-
becca Briggs, sister of John Briggs. No other
details of his life have reached us, and we have
no information concerning his political opinions
and religious belief, or of the part he played in
the stormy and momentous period in which his
lot was cast. His death took place about 1655,
and his wife, who was born in 1600, died Febru-
ary 8, 1673.

Thomas Cornell (2), son of Thomas (i) and
Rebecca (Briggs) Cornell, and founder of the




~hr%



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



189



American branch of the family, was born in Eng-
land, and married Sarah Earl. About 1638, ac-
companied by his wife and children, he crossed
the sea, and settled in the colony of Massachusetts
Bay. By vote of the town meeting of Boston,
held August 10, 1638, he was permitted to buy
William jBaulson's house, yard and garden, and to
become an inhabitant. This house was situated
on what is now \\ashington street, between Alilk
and Summer streets. September 6, 1638, he was
licensed to keep an inn until the next general
court. In 1643 he sold the property, and mean-
while moved to Portsmouth, Rhode Island, where,
August 6, 1640, he was admitted a freeman. The
same year he was made constable, and the follow-
ing year ensign. He seems, however, to have
possessed a migratory spirit, and we find that in
October, 1642, the local Dutch government of
New Amsterdam granted him permission to re-
side on the island, within the limits of their juris-
diction, about eleven miles from the city. His
arrival appreciably added to the numbers of the
colonists, inasmuch as he was accompanied by no
fewer than thirty-five families of English settlers.
He made his home in what is now Westchester
county, where in 1642 he was granted a tract of
land on the shores of Long Island Sound. This
place was then and is now known as Cornell's
Neck. The death of this bold and adventurous
pioneer occurred in 1673, presumably in this his
last- found home.

Stephen Cornell (3), son of Thomas (2) and
Sarah (Earl) Cornell, was born in 1656, at Ports-
mouth, Rhode Island, was admitted a freeman in
1688. He married Hannah Moshier, and was the
father of a son, Stephen (4) who married, June
18, 1719, Ruth Pierce, and died about 1765. His
son, Elijah (5) married Sarah, born January 19,
1746, in Rhode Island, daugher of Benjamin and
Mehitabel JNliller. The marriage took place De-
cember 4, 1769, and their son, Elijah (6), was
born October 17, 1771, and moved to Ithaca, New
York, where he carried on the pottery business.
In September, 1798, he was received into the So-
ciety of Friends at the Swansea monthly meet-
ing. He married. July 4, 1805, Eunice Barnard.
born May 11, 1788. Her death occurred March



'^l' 1857, and her husband expired ;\Iarch 27,
1862, in the ninety-first year of his age. Their
son, Elijah (7), was born April 11, 1808, at
De Ruyter, Madison county. New York, and
married, December 15, 1831, Betsey Ann Berdick.
Their children were : Marion E., born ]\Iay 17,
1833 ; Nelson Perez, mentioned at length herein-
after; Marie, born September 27, 1836, married
Jerome JM. Squire; and William, born July 3,
1838, married Elizabeth Moore, of Easton,
Pennsylvania.

. Nelson Perez Cornell (8), son of Elijah (7)
and Betsey Ann (Berdick) Cornell, was born
November 23, 1834, at Ithaca, New York, where
he received his education in the common schools.
At the age of lourteen he began life for himself,
being employed as a messenger boy by the Hon.
Ezra Cornell, the founder of Cornell University,
and, a few years later, took the position of as-
sistant postmaster at Enfield, New York. At the
end of three years he returned to Ithaca, where
he was employed as clerk in a grocery store, and
when his employers moved their business to Mc
ristown. New Jersey, a few years later, he accom-
panied them. Five years after, in the year 1855,
he was sent by the firm to take charge of a
branch store which they had established at Eas-
ton, Pennsylvania, and which had not succeeded
under the management of an agent. In the hands
of Mr. Cornell the enterprise soon became pros-
perous, and after conducting it successfully for a
number of years the firm made him the offer of
an interest in the business. This offer he ac-
cepted, and was fully justified by the results in
having done so, but after several years, thinking
that an out-door life would be more satisfactory
to him, he took a position with the late James D.
Mingle, to construct a network of telegraph lines,
connecting New York, Philadelphia, Reading,
]\Iauch Chunk and Wilkes-Barre. After com-
pleting this undertaking he returned to the gro-
cery business, forming a copartnership with the
late A. Keller Michler, under the firm name of
Cornell & Michler. This copartnership was
formed in 1857 and continued until November,
1900, when it was dissolved by the death of ]\Ir. ,
]\Iichler. The business, however, is still con-



I go



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



ducted by Mr. Cornell under the old firm name, its
prestige, acquired during the long period of co-
partnership, rendering a change of name unde-
sirable. This firm was the first to use electricity
for business purposes, putting in their store a
twenty-five light dynamo which was run by a
water-motor. Later, in connection with Howard
Rineck, of Easton, Mr. Cornell as instrumental in
forming a company to furnish light and power to
the citizens of that place. Notwithstanding many
discouragements and repeated objections based on
the ground that the enterprise would not pay for
itself, they were successful not only in forming a
company but in building a plant which was con-
ceded to be one of the best equipped in the
country. After it had been conducted for sev-
eral years with satisfactory results it was trans-
ferred to a Philadelphia syndicate.

During his long residence in Easton, Mr.
Cornell has been identified with a number of or-
ganizations. Shortly after his arrival he became
connected with the Keystone Fire Company, of
which he was president until the company was
.disbanded at the outbreak of the Civil war, a
majority of its members enlisting in the army.
He was a member of the National Guard, serv-
ing under Captains Stoneback, Titus and Bell,
and was connected with the Easton Greys during
the whole period of its existence, holding the rank
of second, and afterward, that of first lieuten-
ant. His political principles are those promul-
gated and supported by the Republican party. He
is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Mr. Cornell married, January 12, 1859, Sarah
Elizabeth Innis, of Easton, Pennsylvania, where
she was born October 5, 1839, her father, Samuel
Innis, being engaged in the printing business in
that city. Mr. and Mrs. Cornell were the parents
of one daughter, Jennie Berdick, who was born
Julv 12, 1863, and married at Denver, Colorado,
William Marston Williams, who was born Jan-
uary 12, 1859, at Scranton, Pennsylvania. The
following children were born to Mr. and Mrs.
Williams: Helen Cornell, born April 8, 1890;
Nelson Cornell, bom September 11, 1892; Louisa
Hudiings, liorn January 30, 1897: and Alice
Huchings, horn January 8, i8g8. On December



9, 1898, Mrs. Williams and her children sus-
tained a severe loss by the death of the husband
and father, who on that day passed away at his
home in Easton. The married life of Mr. and
Mrs. Cornell, after extending over a period of
nearly forty years, was terminated by the death of
the latter, who expired May 21, 1896, deeply
lamented by her family, and mourned by a large
circle of friends by whom he was sincerely loved
and honored.

McEVERS FORM AN, who was for over a
third of a century associated with the banking
interests of Easton, Pennsylvania, and was dur-
ing that time one of its most honored citizens, was
a son of John E. Forman, a prominent resident
of Pittston, New Jersey, whose children were:
McEvers, mentioned at length hereinafter ; Paul ;
Caroline ; and two other daughters, Mrs. Cody
and Mrs. Godley. All these were at one time
residents of Milford.

McEvers Forman, son of John E. Forman,
was born August 25, 1805, in Pittston, New Jer-
sey. He was educated at Basking Ridge, in his
native state, having for his preceptor the well
known Dr. Brownly. One of his schoolmates
was the Hon. William L. Dayton. In 1822, at the
age of seventeen, Mr. Forman came to Easton,
and was for some years employed as a clerk in the
dry goods store of Eseck Howell. Later he formed
a partnership with the late John Titus, and the
firm for some time conducted what was then
the largest dry goods establishment in the city.
Feeling that the world of finance rather than that
of commerce — successful though he had been in
the latter — was his true sphere, Mr. Forman be-
came a clerk in the Easton National Bank. It
some became evident that he had made no mistake
in the choice of an occupation, his ability com-
pelling speedy recognition. In 185 1. when the
Farmers' and Mechanics' National Bank, now
the' First National Bank), was chartered, Mr.
Forman was made cashier. He retained this po-
sition until the retirement by reason of advanced
years of Mr. John Stewart, when, on January i,
1876, Mr. Forman was elected president, a po-
sition which he held until the close of his life.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



191



"While connected with these banks he was also
associated with other local institutions. He was
cne of the originators of the Lehigh Transporta-
tion Company, better known as the "Red Line,"
on account of the color of its boats, which plied
on the Lehigh canal. For twenty years this com-
pany existed, John Opdycke being the manager,
until in 1864 its affairs were wound up. Mr. For-
man was also a member of the board of directors
of the following organizations : the Easton Cem-
etery, the Easton Delaware Bridge Company, and
the Northampton County Fire Insurance Com-
pany. He was a member of the First Presbyter-
ian Church, and a stanch supporter of Presbyter-
ian doctrines. For twenty-three years he was a
member of the board of trustees, and during the
latter portion of that time was president of the
board.

Mr. Forman married, in 1836, Angelina,
daughter of Lawrence Hager, a widely known
resident of German A'"alley, New Jersey. ^Ir. and
Mrs. Forman were the parents of one daughter,
Mary S. Fcrman. The Hon. John D. Hager, of
California, was a brother of Airs. Forman.

The death of Mr. Forman, though a great
shock to his family and friends, was not entirely
unexpected, as some weeks before he had been
prostrated by a paralytic stroke. For a time hopes
were entertained of his recovery, but a sudden
change for the worse set in. and two days later
the long and useful life came to an end. He died
January 11, 1885, in the eightieth year of his age.
The funeral services were attended by a large
concourse of citizens, all being desirous of paying
a tribute of respect to one so universally known
and honored. The Rev. !Mr. Miller, pastor of the
church of which Mr. Forman had been a member,
spoke with appreciation and feeling of his parish-
ioner's many virtues as a business man, a citizen
and a friend, and said of him : "He leaves behind
him the memory of the just."

IRWIN S. UHLER. a graduate of :\luhlen-
burg College, at Allentown. Pennsylvania, and an
attorney at law of Easton, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, is a lineal descendant of Jacob Ch-
ler, who with three brothers, came from Germanv,



and settled in Forks township, Northampton
county, where they purchased large tracts of land
and became useful and law abiding citizens.

Valentine LThler (grandfather), son of Jacob
Uhler, was reared on the old homestead in Forks
township, and after attaining young manhood he
chose the occupation of farmer, conducting his
operations on the home farm, to which he suc-
ceeded upon the death of his father. He was a
life long resident of this locality, and by the faith-
ful and conscientious discharge of the duties de-
volving upon him as a citizen won the confidence
and respect of his fellow townsmen. In politics he
was a Democrat, and in religion a member of the
Lutheran church. He married Elizabeth Brid-
engher, born in 1793, a daughter of Jacob Brid-
engher, of Plainfield township. They reared a
family of ten children, seven sons and three
daughters — George, Peter, Richard, Jacob, Jere-
miah, John, Valentine, (the last two named
twins), F'hebe, wife of George Knecht ; Hilary,
wife of David Sandt ; Rebecca, wife of Reuben
Jacoby. A'alentine Lhler, father of these chil-
dren, died in 1854, his wife passed awav in 1843.
Richard L'hler (father), third son of Valen-
tine of Elizabeth L'hler, was born in Forks town-
ship, Northampton county, Pennsylvania, Au-
gust 10, 1824. He acquired an education in
the subscription schools of the neighborhood, and
resided on the old homestead during his minority.
He then located on a tract of land which was
formerly the property of his father, and engaged
in agricultural pursuits until 1892, when he re-
tired from business, after which he changed his
place of residence to Easton. He has been a life-
long adherent of the principles of Democracy. Mr.
Lhler married Sarah Ann Schoch, of Forks town-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 34 of 92)