John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 35 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 35 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ship, whose birth occurred April 13, 1823.
Their children were : Ephraim, died in early life ;
Emeline, died in childhood ; ]\Iadison, Clarissa,
deceased ; Irwin S., Orandus, Edna, Emmons, de-
ceased. The family are actively interested in the
social life of the community, and are members of
the Lutheran- church.

Irwin S. L'hler, third son of Richard and
Sarah Ann L'hler, was born on the old homestead
in Forks township. Northampton county.



192



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Pennsylvania, May 21, 1857. He obtained his
preliminary education in the schools of Forks
township, and subsequently became a student at
Muhlenburg College, from which institution he
was graduated in 1883. Having decided to lead
a professional life, he entered the law office of
R. E. James at Easton, and, having passed a cred-
itable examination, was admitted to the North-
ampton county bar in October, 1886. He at once
entered upon the practice of his profession in the
city of Easton. In politics he is a Democrat.

DAVID MAYNARD BACHMAN, a repre-
sentative of the legal profession in the city of
Easton, Pennsylvania, is a native of Durham,
Bucks county, Pennsylvania, the date of his birth
being June 23, 1876.

He traces his ancestry to Christian Bachman,
who was in this country prior to June 13, 1751, as
in that year his name appears as being one of the
residents of Lower Saucon township, Northamp-
ton county, Pennsylvania. Christian Bachman
was a prosperous farmer and miller, and his real
estate at his death was appraised at three thous-
and pounds. He was the father of ten sons and
one daughter. Several of his sons went to New
York to reside, one to New Jersey, one to Ten-
nessee, and two to North Carolina. One of the
sons who removed to New York, Jacob Bach-
man, settled at Rheinbeck, and was the father of
the Rev. Dr. John Bachman, of Charleston, South
Carolina, the celebrated preacher and naturalist,
who was born in New York in 1790, contributed
to Audubon's great work, "The Birds of North
America", and died in 1874. In a memoir of Dr.
Bachman's life, published by his daughter, the fol-
lowing appears: "In 1858 Dr. Bachman wrote a
sketch of his life for a scientific journal in Europe.
In it he says : 'My paternal ancestor was a native
of the canton of Berne, Switzerland ; after vis-
iting England, he came to America as private
secretary to William Penn. Finally he settled
near Easton, Pennsylvania, and as a reward for
faithful services rendered to the infant colony, the
governor granted him two townships of land
called "Upper and Lower Sackcny", which are
now settled by his numerous descendants.' " These



townships are probably those now known as
Upper and Lower Saucon. The memoir further
states that the secretary was a kinsman of Lieu-
tenant General Bachman, lof the Swiss Guard,
who lost his life in the defense of Louis XVI of
France, and whose name is second on Thor-
waldsen's "Lion of Lucerne."

The line of ancestry is traced through Solo-
mon Bachman, son of Christian Bachman, the
possible ancestor, to his son Solomon, who was
the father of a son, David, and David was the
father of a son, Reuben Knecht, father of David
M. Bachman. Reuben K. Bachman (father) was
born in Williams township, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, August 6, 1834. He was a mer-
chant and manufacturer at Durham and Riegels-
ville, Pennsylvania, for forty-five years, a mem-
ber of the German Reformed church, a member of
the national house of representatives, and a Dem-
ocrat in politics. He married Malinda Elizabeth
Bachman, daughter of Aaron and Eliza (Lau-
bach) Bachman. Aaron Bachman resided in
Lower Saucon township, Northampton county,
and Freemansburg, Pennsylvania, and followed
the occupations of farmer, merchant, and canal-
boat builder. He was a descendant of the afore-
mentioned Chirstian Bachman, the line of descent
being traced through Christian (2), George,
Solomon.

David M. Bachman attended a preparatory
school prior to his matriculation at Lafayette
College in 1892, and after his graduation from
the college in 1896 he studied law in Phila-
delphia, Pennsylvania, under the preceptorship of
Dallas Sanders, Esq., until 1899, and from 1900
to the present time (1904) has practiced his pro-
fession in the city of Easton. During the passing
years he has attained a place of prominence
among the members of the bar. He is a member
of the German Reformed church, and in the
sphere of politics is a firm supporter of the can-
didates and measures advocated by the Demo-
cratic party. Mr. Bachman is unmarried.

BENJAMIN F. RIEGEL, a retired merchant
of Easton, Northampton county, Pennsylvania,
who for fort_\ - five consecutive years was engaged



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



193



in the dry goods business in the city of Easton,
was born in Riegelsville, Pennsylvania, September
13, 1825, a son of Benjamin and Hannah (Town-
send) Riegel, and grandson of Benjamin Riegel.

Benjamin Riegel (father) was born in Lower
Saucon township, Northampton county, Pennsyl-
vania, in 1777 ; was educated in the common
schools, and subsequentl}' learned the trade of
stone mason. After his marriage to Hannah
Townsend, who was born in Butztown, Pennsyl-
vania, Mr. Riegel removed to Bucks county and
purchased a one hundred and eighty-seven acre
tract of land, the present site of the village of
Riegelsville. He followed agricultural pursuits,
and with the assistance of his eldest son was
instrumental in the laying out of plots and the up-
building of the village of Riegelsville, in the po-
litical and social affairs of which he took an active
and prominent part. He was a staunch adherent
of the principles of the old line Whig party,
served as a member of the state legislature for
three years, and also held various county and
township offices of trust and importance. During
the war of 1812 he enlisted his services in behalf
of his country, was appointed captain of a com-
pany of men, and served with credit and distinc-
tion during the entire conflict. He was a member
of the German Reformed church. Benjamin
Riegel and his wife, Hannah (Townsend) Riegel,
were the parents of twelve children, nine of whom
attained years of maturity — Hannah, Eli, Jesse,
William, Isaac T., Susanna, Elizabeth, Benja-
min F., and Samuel T. Riegel. Of this family, at
the present time (1903), Benjamin F. Riegel is
the onlv survivor. Benjamin Riegel, father of
these children, died at his home in Riegelsville, in
1848, survived by his wife, whose death occurred
in 1851.

The educational advantages enjoyed by Benja-
min F. Riegel were obtained in the ]\Ioravian
school at Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. For a short
period of time after the completion of his studies,
Mr. Riegel taught school in ^\'arren county, New
Jersey, but in 1850, located in Easton, Pennsyl-
vania, where he engaged in the dry goods busi-
ness as a member of the firm of Micke & Riegel,
and this connection continued for thirteen years.

13



Air. Riegel conducted the same line of trade for
forty-five consecutive years, in the city of Easton,
having various partners during this period, and
in the meantime was interested in an extensive
stove manufacturing enterprise in Fhilipsburg,
New Jersey. Being a man of practical business
knowledge, great sagacity, and the strictest in-
tegrity, he was chosen as one of the directors of
the First National Bank in 1858, and has served
in that capacity ever since. During his early
manhood he was an old line Whig, later a Re-
publican, and for many years served as a member
of the school board and town council.

In 1847 Mr. Riegel was united in marriage to
Eleanor S. Kelly, of Warren county, New Jersey,
and the issue of this union was two sons —
Thomas M., an employee of the First National
Bank of Easton, and Frank, engaged in the dry
goods business in the city of Philadelphia. The
mother of these children died in i860. In 1862
Mr. Riegel married Annie M. Green, of Easton,
and one child was born to them, Lizzie, now the
wife of Edward F. White. Mrs. Riegel died in
1884, and in 1889 Mr. Riegel chose for his third
wife Emma L. Weaver, of Easton, Pennsylvania.
jNIr. Riegel holds membership in the Presbyterian
church of Easton, in which he held the office of
treasurer for twenty-one years, and was one of
the members of the board of elders.

DR. KATHERINE De WITT MIESSE, a
representative of the medical profession, aiifords
an excellent illustration of the adaptability of her
sex to the profession which she adorns, as also
of the potency of inherited talents and tastes. Her
father was an accomplished physician, and her
ancestry was most distinguished.

Among the old families of Holland who, in
quest of religious and political liberty, sought the
shores of the new world about the middle part of
the seventeenth century, none other than that of
De Witt was more useful and conspicuous in
public and social life in the fatherland. The an-
cestral home was at Dordrecht, an old burgher
town, famous as the birthplace of Cuyp and
Ary Scheffer and noted in theological annals as
the meeting place of the never to be forgotten



194



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Synod of Dort. The "Geschlachten von Dord-
recht" now in the Royal Library at the Hague,
gives the descent of the De Witt family in an
unbroken line from 1295 to 1639. Their devoted
patriotism and zealous support of William the
Silent in his long and heroic struggle to break the
yoke of the Spanish oppressor early won for the
family high honors in the state.

After the death of John of Barneveldt, Jacob
De Witt succeeded to the office of Land Advo-
cate of Holland, and long remained one of the
chief counsellors of state. Cornelius, his son,
Burgomeister of Dordrecht, became quite as em-
inent in naval warfare as his father had been in
the affairs of government. His valor soon won
for him the command of a Dutch fleet, at the head
of which he sailed up the Thames, burning Eng-
lish ships, and sending consternation into the very
heart of London.

Closely related to Admiral Cornelius De Witt
was Jogn De Witt, one of the most distinguished
men in the history of the Netherlands. He be-
came Grand Pensionary of Holland during the
period between the separation from Spain and
the Thirty Years War. The same indomitable
courage and restless energy which made the fam-
ily such an important factor in the history of its
native state, also made its representatives pio-
neers in the great movement to the new west.
As early as 1639 the De Witt family was estab-
lished in America by three brothers, Peter,
Abram and Isaac, who settled in Ulster county,
New York. A short time previous to the Revolu-
tionary war, Peter De Witt removed thence and
located in Harmony township, in Warren county,
New Jersey. His sons, after a period of service
in the Continental army, devoted themselves to
agricultural pursuits, and came to be among the
largest landowners in the county.

Dr. James De Witt, the father of Dr. Kath-
erine De Witt Meisse, was born in 1827, on the
family homestead at Harmony, New Jersey,
where he is now passing a retired yet not inactive
life. His early education was received in the
public schools in his native village, and this was
supplemented by a course of private instruction.
Determined to devote his life to the profession



of medicine, he began his preparation under the
tutelage of one Dr. Stiles, a Harmony physician,
and subsequently pursued an advanced course in
the Medical Department of the University of New
York, from which he was graduated with the
class of 1849. This class is justly distinguished
in the annals of its alma mater, not only for the
large number of its members, but for the eminent
services which they have since rendered both in
professional and civic life. Probably its most
distinguished member is Dr. S. Weir Mitchell, of
Philadelphia, equally renowned as author and
physician.

Dr. De Witt immediately took a high standing
in his class, and evinced his professional aptitude
and mental mastery by being graduated second
in a large class. He immediately entered upon
practice in his childhood home, and has continued
in it with unremitting zeal and signal success for
a half century. In his earlier years his practice
extended over a wide range of territory, rendering
it necessary to cover an area of thirty square
miles to minister to his patients. He has always
maintained a lively interest and taken a leading
part in the public affairs of the community in
which he has passed his life. His political sup-
port is given to the Democratic party. The Ma-
sonic order numbers him among its adherents,
and for many years he has been a staunch sup-
porter of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Har-
mony, in whose welfare he has always taken a
peculiar interest. He has been for many years
physician of the board of health of Warren
county, and also president of the board of edu-
cation. Dr. De Witt is a man of singular sweet-
ness of character, and his personal characteristics
have made him both esteemed as a physician and
beloved as a man.

His wife was Rachel B. Brands, daughter of
David D. Brands, a wealthy landowner of War-
ren county. New Jersey. Mrs. De Witt is a
lady of many engaging qualities, and has con-
tributed very largely towards her husband's suc-
cess. Dr. and Mrs. De Witt have three daugh-
ters : Mabel, who became the wife of Dr. M. F.
Warner ; Ida, the wife of the Rev. Frank Bruce
L.ynch, D. D., and Katherine De Witt.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



195



Katherine De Witt was born on the old fam-
ily homestead. After attendance at the Wyoming
Seminary, at Kingston, Pennsylvania, she was
graduated from that institution. In 1880 she mar-
ried the Rev. \\'illiam H. Miesse, of Ohio. Her
husband was ordained to the ministry of the Meth-
odist Episcopal church, and began his pastorate at
Cincinnati, Ohio, where he remained for two
years, until his death, in 1883. By this marriage
there was one child, a daughter, Edith, who is a
graduate of the Woman's College at Baltimore,
Maryland.

Soon after the death of her husband, Mrs.
Miesse, resolving to devote herself to the profes-
sion of her father, entered the Woman's Medical
College at Philadelphia, from which she was
graduated with the class of 1889. Opening an
office at Easton, she was successful from the very
beginning, and has built up a large practice. She
is a member of the American Medical Association,
the Medical Society of the State of Pennsylvania,
and is an active member of the Woman's Medi-
cal College Alumnae Society.

Dr. Miesse's interests, however, are by no
means limited to her professional labors. She is
active in the work of the civic and charitable as-
sociations of her city, particularly in connection
with improvements in sanitary conditions sur-
rounding the poor. To conclude, it may be said,
and entirely without exaggeration, that Dr.
Miesse occupies a position in the life of Easton
which in her absence could not well be filled.

WILLIAI^I ARTHUR MUTCHLER.
Among the old and well known families of the
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, none are more
prominent and influential than the Mutchler fam-
ily, which was founded in- America by John and
Valentine Mutchler, brothers, natives of Ger-
many, who emigrated to the new world in 1752,
and settled in Warren county, New Jersey, on
the ground now known as the Mellick farm.
Marble Hill.

Valentine Mutchler, the progenitor of the
branch of the family of which 'William A.
Mutchler is a descendant, followed the occupation
of stone mason in addition to the management and



operation of a farm. He was a worthy man, a
public-spirited citizen, and faithfully and con-
scientiously fulfilled all the duties allotted to him.
His wife, Caroline (Stonebach) Mutchler, bore
him several children whose births occurred in
Warren county. New Jersey, and they were the
ancestors of a numerous and worthy line of de-
scendants who became good and loyal citizens.

Valentine Mutchler, son of Valentine and
Caroline Mutchler, followed the example of his
father and served an apprenticeship at the trade
of stone mason, which line of industry he followed
in connection with agricultural pursuits, achiev-
ing a large degree of success in both enterprises.
His children were : John, Samuel, Mary, George
W., and Elizabeth Mutchler.

John Mutchler, eldest son of Valentine
Mutchler, was born in Warren county. New Jer-'
sey, in 1792, and the active years of his long and
useful life were spent in working at his trade of
stone mason and in the operation of an extensive
and productive farm. In 1826 he removed from
New Jersey to Pennsylvania, locating at Chain
Dam, and there he resided up to the time of his
death which occurred October 4, 1838. John
Mutchler and his wife, Margaret (Mellick)
Mutchler, who was born in 1798 and died in
1863, were the parents of the following named
children, all of whom were born in the state of
New Jersey : George, Henry M., Valentine, Ellen,
Jacob, Jane, John, William, James, Godfrey, and
an unnamed infant, the last seven being born at
Chain Dam.

George Mutchler, eldest son of John and Mar-
garet Mutchler, was born in 1818, reared on a
farm, and thus became thoroughly familiar with
the routine duties and labors pertaining to that
occupation. After his marriage to Christiana
Hill, daughter of John Hill, of Northampton
county, Pennsylvania, who bore him the following
named children : Ellen, Henry M., Jacob, John
and William Arthur Alutchler, he followed farm-
ing in Lower Mt. Bethel township, and in 1857
removed to Mt. Pleasant, and for the following
ten years engaged in mercantile business. At the
expiration of this period of time he received the
appointment of steward of the alms house of



196



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Northampton county, which was located at Naz-
areth, and this position he held up to the time of
his death.

William A. Mutchler, youngest son of George
and Christiana Mutchler, was born in Lower
Mt. Bethel township, Pennsylvania, October 2,
1855. He pursued his studies at the Moravian
school of Nazareth for two )-ears, and then be-
■:dme a pupil in the public schools of Eastjn,
where he completed his education in the fiiteenth
year of his age. His first employment was in the
capacity of messenger boy in the office of the
Pennsylvania Railroad Company, at Easton, and
by faithfully discharging the duties of that humble
position he won the approval and commendation
of his employers, who steadily advanced him from
time to time until now he is the incumbent of the
office of district freight agent at Easton, Penn-
sylvania. Mr. Mutchler takes an active and keen
interest in the political affairs of the city of Eas-
ton, and has served as a member of the select
committee from the eighth ward. Politically he
adheres to the principles of the Democratic party,
and fraternally he is a member of the Knights of
Pythias.

In 1876 Mr. Mutchler married Anna L.
Meixsell, daughter of Peter Meixsell, and five
children were the issue of this union : George F.,
employed by the United States Express Com-
pany ; Belle, wife of Russell K. Boadwell, of Eas-
ton, Pennsylvania: Edwin H., a plumber by
trade ; Arthur W., and Walter Mutchler.

WILLIAM B. MARX. The earliest Amer-
ican ancestor of the Marx family, whose members
have been prominently and actively identified
with the commercial, political, and social inter-
ests of the various communities in which they re-
sided, was George Marx, whose son, George
Marx, Jr., was apprenticed to Josiah Calier, in
1774, for four years and six months, to learn the
trade of saddler, and in 1794, he was commis-
sioned ensign of the Third Company of the Si.xth
Regiment by Governor Mifflin. Samuel Marx,
son of George Marx, Jr., whose birth occurred in
Berks county, Pennsylvania, in 1794, was a
member of the state legislature, a Democrat in



politics, and an adherent of the doctrines of the
Lutheran church. He died in 1872, survived by
a son and two daughters — William S., Henrietta
]\I. Price, and Lavinia Grubb.

William Samuel Marx (father), only son of
Samuel Marx, was born in Lehigh county, Penn-
sylvania, March i, 1829. He was a student at
Princeton College, from which institution he was
graduated in the class of 1848. Shortly after his'
graduation he was admittted to the Lehigh county
bar, and during the many years of his active bus-
iness career he was engaged in the practice of law
in the city of Allentown, Pennsylvania. His
fraternal affiliations were with the Masonic order,
and his political support was given to the candi-
dates of the Republican party. For a number of
years he served in the capacity of district attor-
ney, and subsequently was a candidate for con-
gressional honors. Mr. Marx married, in 1854,
Josephine W. Baldwin, a daughter of Caleb D.
Baldwin, of Bloomfield, New Jersey, and the fol-
lowing named children were born to them :
Marion D. ; Frank B., died at the age of twenty-
eight years; William B., Henry F., and George
D., who died in infancy. William S. Marx, the
father of these children, died in 1866, sincerely
mourned by all who had the honor of his ac-
quaintance. He had led a just and honorable
life, and thus bequeathed to his family not only
the accumulations of a successful business career,
but the priceless heritage of a good name.

William B. Marx, second son of \\'illiam S.
and Josephine W. Marx, was born in .Allentown,
Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, March 5, i860.
The early years of his life were spent in his native
city, and he obtained an excellent academic edu-
cation wherein was the foundation of the suc-
cess which he has achieved in his business career.
He is now engaged in the coal and cement trade
in the city of Easton, Northampton county, and
by strict and careful attention to every detail of
the business he has succeeded in building up a
large and lucrative patronage. Mr. Mar.x has
always given an active and loyal support
to the men and measures advocated by the Re-
publican party. He is a member of the Presby-
terian church of Easton, Pennsvlvania.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



197



j\Ir. Marx was united in marriage to Eliza W.
Fox, daughter of the late Edward J. Fox, the
■ceremony being performed December 27, 1888.
One child has been born of this union, Edward J.
F. .Marx.

JACOB D. UPDEGROVE, U. D., a special-
ist in the treatment of the diseases of the nose
and throat, was born in jMonocacy, Berks county,
Pennsylvania, July 24, 1862. The family name
has figured in the annals of Pennsylvania since
the establishment of the colony, for the ancestors
of Dr. Updegrove came to America with William
Penn in the "Welcome," in 1683, and settled in
Germantown, Pennsylvania, where they became
prominent and influential citizens. Since that
time their descendants have belonged to the class
of representative men who promote the intel-
lectual, legal and moral status of the state.

Edward Updegrove was the father of Jacob
Updegrove, who was born in Oley, Berks coun-
ty, Pennsylvania, March 17, 1798. He was a
farmer, and on the 21st of November, 1819, mar-
ried Elizabeth Shaffer, who was born in Decem-
ber, 1796. They were the parents of William,
Elizabeth, Levi S.. and Frederick LTpdegrove.
While reared in the faith of the Society of
Friends, Mr. U^pdegrove afterward attended the
Lutheran church. He died November 8, 1873,
and his wife on the 13th of October, 1881. Levi
S. Updegrove was the father of Dr. Updegrove.
His birth occurred in Oley, Berks county, De-
cember 16, 1830, and was reared upon the home
farm, and followed agricultural pursuits
throughout his entire life. He was married,
March 17, 1850, to Sophia Davidheiser, a daugh-
ter of George Davidheiser, and their children are
Amos, Sarah, George A., Caroline, ]\Iahlon,
David, Harrison, Jacob D., Levi and Lillie. 'Mr.
Updegrove held membership in the Lutheran
church, and gave his political allegiance to the
Republican party. His death occurred October
22, 1899. and his wife died August 5. 1894.

Dr. Updegrove supplemented his early edu-
cation acquired in the common schools by study
in Reading and at the Kutztown Normal School
and Lafayette College, being graduated in the



last named institution with the class of 1884. His
professional training was received in the medical
department of the University of Pennsylvania, of
which he is an alumnus of 1890. He began the
practice of his chosen profession in Easton, where
he has built up a large business. From 1884 until



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 35 of 92)