John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 36 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 36 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

1890 he was adjunct in the physical training de-
partment of Lafayette College, and since 1890
he has held the chair of director of physical train-
ing and lecturer on hygiene. He pursued a spe-
cial course of study in the Polyclinic of Philadel-
phia in 1897, and has since made a specialty of
the treatment of the diseases of the nose and
throat, and that he has attained considerable skill
and proficiency is indicated by the large patronage
accorded him.

Dr. Updegrove is a Republican in his polit-
ical views and affiliations, and he belongs to sev-
eral fraternal organizations, including the IMa-
sonic lodge and chapter, the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, and the Improved Order of Red
Men. He and his family attend the Lutheran
church. He was married, February 23, 1884, to
Miss Susan S. Beck, of Berks county, a daughter
of Henry G. and Leah (Swavely) Beck. Five
children were born of this marriage, but Maude
died in infancy. The living members of the fam-
ily are Harvey C, Henrj' T., Leah E. and Alice.


well-known business man of Easton, Pennsyl-
vania, belongs to a family which had its origin
and for many generations its home in the Fath-
erland. The name, which is variously spelled in
old records, Kechline, Keechline, and Kachline,
but has for a long time appeared in its present
form, plainly indicates the Teutonic origin of the

Peter Kichline, the founder of the family in
America, was born in Germany, October 8, 1722,
and emigrated to Pennsylvania some time prior to
the Revolutionary war. He erected on the left
bank of Bushkill river, back of jMount Jefferson,
the first grist-mill ever built within the limits of
the town of Easton. He was also the proprietor
of a hotel, and was a man who possessed the re-
spect and confidence of his neighbors, as is evi-



dent from the fact that in 1762 he was elected
sheriff. In the Indian war of 1763 he rendered
vakiable service, and in 1774 was chosen member
of assembly. In December of that year a meet-
ing of citizens was held in the court-house for the
purpose of electing a committee of safety, the air
of the colonies being then darkened by the threat-
ening clouds of the impending struggle for inde-
pendence. At this meeting Mr. Kichline was
chosen, in conjunction with Mr. George Taylor,
judge of election, and of the band of patriots
which formed the committee of safety was the
second one elected. He was placed on the stand-
ing committee, where his record was such as to
justify the trust reposed in him. Not only as a
citizen did Mr. Kichline render valuable aid to
the cause of freedom, but as a soldier his record
was also noteworthy. He was colonel of militia,
and in that capacity was frequently in corres-
pondence with the president of the common-
wealth of Pennsylvania. In volume XII of "Co-
lonial Records," page 312, we find that he was
ordered to call out the militia of the county, and
empowered to offer $1,500 for every Tory or In-
dian prisoner, and $1,000 for every Indian scalp.
On the next page appears an order for him to
march immediately to the townships of Upper
and Lower Smithfield to repress an incursion of
savages. He was present at the battle of Brook-
lyn, where he was taken prisoner, but was soon re-
leased and returned to his service in the field.
He rented a large room on the second floor of his
hotel to commissioners for the transaction of
public business. By the votes of his townsmen
he held for a considerable period the office of
justice of the peace. The last years of the life of
Mr. Kichline were passed at the home of his son
Peter, who lived on a farm two miles above
Easton. Here, on November 27, 1789, he ended
his active and useful life, honored by all for his
fidelity to his adopted country. At the time of his
death he was a man of substance, and his valuable
mill property passed into the possession of his
son Andrew.

Peter Kichline, mentioned above as the son of
the distinguished emigrant ancestor, was the
father of a son who was also called Peter, being

the third in unbroken lineal descent to bear the
name. His son Joseph was born in Palmer town-
ship, and was educated at the German Reformed
school, at the corner of Sitgreaves and Church
streets. This school was presided over by Mr.
Hempsing, who is also remembered in Easton as
the organist of the Reformed church in Third
street. Mr. Kichline had a long and varied busi-
ness career. His political principles were those
of the Democratic party, and he was a member of
the Reformed church. He married Catherine,
daughter of Frederick Wagner, and their children
were : Susanna, deceased ; Mary, Annie, Andrew,,
died in infancy ; and George Frederick, mentioned
at length hereinafter. Mr. Kichline lived to old
age, and expired September 14, 1889, aged seven-
ty-two years, rich in the affection of his family
and friends, and the esteem of all who knew him.

George Frederick Kichline, son of Joseph and
Catherine (Wagner) Kichline, was born Novem-
ber ID, 1859, in Easton, Pennsylvania, where he
was educated in the public schools. On entering
the business world he chose for his special field
of endeavor the department of real estate and
insurance, in which he has labored ever since
with energy and ability, and has reaped the just
reward of his efforts both in financial profit and
unquestioned reputation. Among the insurance
companies represented by him may be mentioned
the following : the London Assurance Corporatiorf
of London ; New York Underwriters ; Providence
Washington Insurance Company, of Providence,
Rhode Island : the Rochester German Insurance
Company, of Rochester, New York ; the Home
Fire and Marine Insurance Company, of Cali-
fornia ; and the Traders' of Chicago.

Mr. Kichline married, in 1884, Florence J.,
daughter of Robert and Anna (Young) Cot-

Pennsvlvania, was Ixirn in Salem, Salem county,
New Jersey, October 20, 1850, and is descended
from one of the oldest families of that state.
Soon after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes
by the order of King Louis XIV, in 1684, many
Huguenots fled from France to avoid religious



persecution, and among the number were two
brothers — Zaccheus and Thomas Dunn — who
were natives of Alsace-Loraine. They settled in
Pilesgrove, in Lower Penns Neck, Salem county,
now known as Finus Point, on which the United
States government has erected extensive forti-
fications for tlie defense of the entrance to the
Delaware river from Delaware bay.

Zaccheus Dunn made his home in the upper
part of Pilesgrove, and was a member of the So-
ciety of Friends there. To him and his wife,
Deborah, was born a son on December 2, 1678,
and to that child they gave the name of Zac-
cheus. After attaining years of maturity Zac-
cheus Dunn (2) married and became the father
of a son, John Dunn.

John Dunn purchased three hundred and fifty
acres of land in Gloucester county, New York, in
1734, from William Penn, paying for this prop-
erty the sum of one hundred and five pounds in
English money. The deed thereto was signed by
the heirs of William Penn, and the greater part
of the tract was located in Penn's Neck. John
Dunn and his wife, who bore the maiden name of
Catherine Alexander, had five children : Eben-
ezer, born April 24, 1753; Thomas, born Febru-
ary 12, 1755; Jean, born December 20, 1756;
Sarah, born March 2, 1759 ; and John, born Jan-
uary 12, 1761. The father of this family died
June 15, 1777, and the mother passed away May

30, 1775-

Ebenezer Dunn, who was born April 24, 1753.
was the great-grandfather of Albert R. Dunn.
On June ri, 1772, he married Abigail Capner,
and their children were : Samuel, born June 26,
1773, died July 5, 1782 ; John, born May 4, 1775 :
Catherine, born October 8, 1777, died April 6,
1780; and Thomas, born December 14, 1779, died
November 27, 1780. The mother of these chil-
dren died March 5, 1780, and for his second wife
Ebenezer Dunn chose INIary Pedrick, their mar- ■
riage taking place July 20, 1781. Their children
were: Thackeray, born April 23, 1782, died De-
cember 16, 1792; Sarah, born June 23, 1784:
Samuel Elijah, born July 3, 1789 ; and ]\Iary,
born February 23, 1792. Ebenezer Dunn died

July 2, 18 12, and the death of his second wife oc-
curred November 15, 1814.

Samuel Dunn, the grandfather of Albert R.
Dunn, was born December 17, 1786, at Penn's
Neck, New Jersey. He was united in marriage
to Gulielme Jeffries, December 26, 1807, and nine
children were the issue of this union : Sarah,
Elizabeth, Mary, Rebecca, Ebenezer, Mary, John,
Elijah, and Ann Dunn. The mother of these
children died April 8, 1823, and Samuel Dunn
chose for his second wife Sarah Casper, their
marriage taking place January 18, 1826. They
were the parents of five children : Emeline, Ne-
hemiah, Thomas, Caroline, and Thackeray.

Nehemiah Dunn, father of Albert R. Dunn,
was born at Penn's Point, New Jersey, in 1835.
He obtained a common school and collegiate
education, graduating from Dickinson College,
at Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. He was one of
the enterprising and prosperous merchants of
Salem, New Jersey, and he also served his town
in various local offices, being the postmaster un-
der the administration of President Johnson. He
was a Methodist in religion, and an ardent war
Democrat in politics. He married Abigail Good-
win Thompson, who was born in Elsingboro
township, Salem county. New Jersey, May 17,
1826, daughter of William and Elizabeth
Thompson, and a descendant of good old English
stock. In early life she was a Quakeress, but
later became a member of the Methodist church.
Nehemiah Dunn died in 1871, and his wife passed
away on October 13, 1896.

Albert R. Dunn was educated at the Quaker
Academy, Salem, New Jersey. At the age of
twenty years he came to Philadelphia, Pennsyl-
vania, to enter the banking house of Jay Cooke
& Co., but owing to their failure he came on to
Easton, Pennsylvania, located here in the year
1870, and has since made his home in that city.
He was associated with the T. T. jNIiller Hard-
ware Company for five years, served with the
Easton Lock Company as secretary for two years,
and in 1877 established his present business —
tobacco and confectionery — locating in the same
store which he now occupies, and where he con-



ducts a large wholesale trade. In addition to his
large mercantile interests, he serves as director
in the following named institutions : the First Na-
tional Bank of Easton, the Northampton Trust
Company, of Easton, and the Northampton Elec-
tric Railroad ; and is president of the Eagle Fibre
Company, of Easton, Pennsylvania, with factory
at Stockertown, Northampton county, Pennsyl-
vania. He is a trustee in the Brainerd Union
Presbyterian church of Easton. He is active and
prominent in the Masonic order, being past master
of Easton Lodge, No. 152, high priest of Easton
Chapter, No. 173, eminent commander of Hugh
De Payens Commandery, No. 19, Knights Temp-
lar, and thrice illustrious past master of Pomp
Council, No. 21, all of Easton. Being a past of-
ficer by merit in the above bodies, he is likewise a
member of the grand bodies in each, located at
Philadelphia. Politically he is a Democrat, but
casts his vote for the candidate best suited for of-
fice, irrespective of party.

At Easton, Pennsylvania, March 26, 1873,
Mr. Dunn was married to Emily Miller, born in
Easton, May 28, 1850, daughter of the late
Thomas T. Miller, late president of the North-
ampton County National Bank of Easton.
Thomas Thompson Miller was born in 1825, a
son of Thomas and Martha Catherine (Barre)
Miller, married Emily Matilda Mixell, and died
January 13, iSgo. Mrs. Dunn was educated at
Friends Seminary, at Morristown, New Jersey.
The issue of this marriage was two children :
Ralph Miller, born January 22, 1879, was edu-
cated at Parks Academy. He is unmarried, re-
sides with his parents, and is a member of the
First Reformed church of Easton. Helen, born
August 15, 1890, a student at the Easton high
school, a member of the Brainerd Presbyterian
church, and resides at home with her parents.

JOHN T. KNIGHT, deceased, for many
years a prominent citizen of Easton, Pennsyl-
vania, was born at Thompson, Putnam county,
Connecticut, December 15, 1822.

Deacon Samuel Knight, great-grandfather of
John T. Knight, was Ijorn at Concord, Massa-
chusetts, in 1710. In 1736 or 1737 he married

Rachel Leavens, of Killingly, Connecticut, whose
birth occurred in 1716. He died in Plainfield,
Connecticut, in the year 1789, and his wife died
at Providence, Rhode Island, in 1785.

Samuel Knight, grandfather of John T.
Knight, was born in Brookfield, Massachusetts,
in 1759. His marriage to Eunice Parkhurst oc-
curred at Plainfield, Connecticut, and shortly
afterward they settled on a farm in Killingly,
Connecticut, where they reared a family of chil-
dren, namely : Samuel P., born at Killingly, Con-
necticut, January 17, 1782; Hannah, born at
Providence, Rhode Island, December 13, 1783;
Eunice, born at Providence, Rhode Island, Feb-
ruary 19, 1786; Theopilus, born at Plainfield,
Connecticut, June 2, 1788 ; Fanny, born at Plain-
field, Connecticut, March 26, 1790; Ebenezer,
born at Brookfield, Massachusetts, January 14,
1792 ; Elisha, born at Brookfield, Massachusetts,
January 15, 1794; Mary, born at Brookfield,
Massachusetts, August i, 1796; and Royal, born
at Warren, Massachusetts, October 26, 1801.
Samuel Knight, father of these children, died at
Warren, Massachusetts, in 183 1, and his wife,
Eunice (Parkhurst) Knight, died in the same city
in 1833.

Elisha Knight, father of John T. Knight, was
reared and educated in Brookfield, Massachusetts,
but later removed to Dudley, where he was
united in marriage to Elizabeth Davis Hancock,
who was born in Oxford, Massachusetts, in 1795,
and died in Poughkeepsie, New York, in 1843.
She removed to Dudley, Massachusetts, when two
years of age, with her parents. She was a daugh-
ter of Captain Allen Hancock, who was born
April 5, 1754, at Wrentham, Massachusetts, and
who married, Januarj' i, 1789, Lucy Corbin,
widow of Samuel Corbin, of Thompson, Con-
necticut, and daughter of William Earned, of
Dudley, Massachusetts. Captain Hancock and
. his wife removed to Oxford, Massachusetts, and
in 1800 settled in Dudley, in the same state,
where their deaths occurred, respectively, October
II, 1848, and March 12, 1836. He was a mem-
ber of Captain John Town's company, and
marched to the Lexington alarm. He was cap-
tain of militia at Oxford, and for ten vcars from




20 1

i/Sy to 1797 served in the capacity of assessor.
He was much admired and esteemed by all who
had the honor of his acquaintance. He was the
son of Captain William Hancock, a son of An-
thony and Ruth Hancock, of Wrentham, Massa-
chusetts, who was born in 1703, was captain of
militia, came to Oxford previous to 1760, and in
1777, a period in which wisdom, firmness and
patriotism were demanded, being then seventy-
four years of age, he was chosen representative,
was re-elected to the same position, and also
served as chairman of selectmen. He died
March 8, 1789, aged eighty-seven years, and his
wife Hannah died in December, 1791, aged
seventy-eight years.

Eilisha Knight (father) was a merchant in
Thompson, Connecticut, also in Dudley, Massa-
chusetts, and was engaged as a manufacturer in
Poughkeepsie, New York, and the latter years
of his life were spent in retirement from active
business pursuits in Danbury, Connecticut. The
members of the Knight and Hancock families
were Congregationalists in their religious belief,
but Elisha Knight and his wife withdrew their
membership from that denomination and united
with the Presbyterian. Elisha Knight married
Lucy Ann Post, for his second wife : she was
torn in Canaan, Connecticut, and died in Dan-
bun,', Connecticut, in 1888. He was the father of
the following named children, all by his first wife :

1. Allen H., died at the age of twenty-one years.

2. Samuel, who went to California, was superin-
tendent of the Wells Fargo Company, and died
in that State. 3. John Tyson, mentioned herein-
after. 4. William H., who is a resident of Cali-
fornia, where he was a merchant for many years,
later was an administrator, and he is now living
a retired life. 5. Elizabeth. 6. Mary B., who died
in infancy. Elisha Knight, father of these chil-
dren, died in Danbury, Connecticut, in 1869.

John Tyson Knight was about ten years of
age when his parents removed to Poughkeepsie,
New York, and his education was acquired in the
Poughkeepsie Academy. He then served as clerk
in a drug store for a few years, after which he
came to Easton, Pennsylvania, and for a short
space of time was employed in a bank. He then

entered the employ of the Thomas Iron Company,
served in the capacity of secretary and treasurer
for more than forty years, and at the time of his
decease, December 15, 1892, and for one and a
half years previously, was the president of the
company. Through his efforts the Easton Trust
Company was organized and he was primarily
instrumental in the building of their magnificent
brick block at the corner of Northampton and
Third streets. He was a Republican in his
political views.

Mr. Knight married Maria Eva Burke, who
was born in Easton, Pennsylvania, a daughter of

and Susanna (Wagner) Burke, and

two children were born to them : Joseph H., who
died in infancy; and Elizabeth B.. who died at
the age of three years. Mrs. Knight died De-
cember 14, 1891.

The following resolutions on the death of
John T. Knight were adopted at a meeting of the
board of directors of The Thomas Iron Company,
held at Easton, Pennsylvania, February 9, 1893.

Whereas. This Board of Directors has again
for the third time within a period of four months
sustained a severe loss in the sudden removal,
bv death, of another of its members, IMr. John
T. Knight, our highly esteemed president. There-
fore be it

Resok'cd. That we feel it a pleasant duty to
bear unqualified testimony to his untiring devo-
tion to the interests of the company, in the respec-
tive offices of secretary and treasurer and latterly
of president filled bv him, the whole covering
the entire period of the company's existence.

Resolved. That in our long intercourse with
our now deceased friend, we had learned to con-
fide in his sound judgment, and well considered
conduct of whatever was intrusted to his care,
whether as the company's financial agent or as
its chief executive officer, industrious, painstak-
ing and uniformly courteous, his worth is the
more appreciated as we attempt to fill the posi-
tions made vacant by his death.

Resoh'ed, That in the universal esteem in
which Mr. Knight was held in the community at
large, we recosrnize the value of a well ordered
life, calm, sensible and deliberate: his conclu-
sions on matters of business were entitled to and
received the confidence of his associates.

The directors of the First National Bank of



Easton attended the funeral of Mr. Knight in a
body, and also adopted the following resolutions :

Whereas, The sudden decease, without pre-
monition or warning, of John T. Knight, a mem-
ber of this board, has occurred, and

Whereas, He had served the bank in his
earlier years in other relations, and since 1876
.as a Director, together making a quarter of a
century, all characterized by positive interest and
flawless fidelity, therefore

Resolved, That we make this record of our
appreciation of his large resources to meet all
fiduciary duties and obligations, his safe judg-
ment as a financier, his conscientious loyalty to
the interests he had in trust, and his uniform
urbanity in his intercourse with coadjutors.

Resolved, That his memory will be cherished
as a courteous, watchful and wise director, and
as unflinching friend of the institution from its
earliest year until his demise.

The president and board of managers of the
Easton Delaware Bridge also attended the funeral
in a body, and placed on record the following
tribute to the memory of the deceased :

He had been very intimately associated with
the various business enterprises of this city, and
had so admirably fulfilled all the responsiijilities
anl trusts to which he had been called, that his
example is worthy of earnest imitation, though
very few may hope for like eminence. Of strict
integrity, most kind and courteous deportment,
with unwavering fidelity in every ofiicial station,
he at once became a most valued member of our
body, and obtained the lasting esteem and friend-
ship of his fellow men. His life in his personal
relations was honorable and most commendable,
and has exhibited and set forth a type of Chris-
tian manhood and one which we long will keep in
our grateful remembrance.

The board of directors of the Easton Trust
Company placed upon its minutes the following
tribute :

In the death of our fellow Director and Pres-
ident, John T. Knight, we have sustained a great
loss, and desire to record this tribute to his mem-
ory. As an officer and Director he was earnest,
zealous, far-seeing and prudent : in details, scrup-
ulously exact and methodical ; in contact, affable

and kindly. Prompt, able, courteous, he was an
ideal man of affairs. In his social relations he
was the embodiment of kindness, courtesv, and
gentleness. He was delicately and conscien-
tiously free from all willful wrong in thought,
word or deed. The benevolence of his heart was
the marked feature of his character. His was a
most genial spirit — affectionate and kind to his
friends, courteous to all. Enemies he had none.
His death is a loss to his associates, to business
circles, and to the community.

Resolutions of a similar tone were also
adopted by the Penn Gas-Coal Company and the
Edison Illuminating Company.

WILLIAM OSCAR HAY, son of Captain
Jacob Hay, and now a member of the Hay Boot
and Shoe Company, of Easton, was born in the
city where he still resides, May 21, 1861.

His education was obtained in the public
schools, and he was obliged to abandon his cher-
ished plan of pursuing a collegiate education on
account of his eyesight. Throughout his business
career he has been identified with two of the old-
est and most reliable mercantile establishments
of Easton. In 1879 he became a member of the
wholesale dry-goods firm of J. Hay & Sons, and
for ten years was the buyer for that house. In
1889 he engaged in the wholesale boot and shoe
business with his father under the firm name of
the Hay Boot and Shoe Company, and for almost
fifteen years he has been buyer and general man-
ager. He was associated with his father in busi-
ness enterprises imtil the latter's death, and has
since that time been connected with his brother,
Thomas A. H. Hay. The dry-goods business was
closed out in 1896, and with his brother Thomas
he has continued in the boot and shoe trade. The
ground upon which the present store stands has
been in possession of the family and utilized for
business purposes since 1854. The shoe store
was founded by the father in 1875, and has con-
tinuously been in possession of representatives
of the name, being now the property of the
brothers, William Oscar and Thomas A. H. Hay.

Politically Mr. Hay is a Republican, and is
well known in Masonic circles in the Lehigh
valley, being a member of Easton Lodge, No.



152, F. and A. j\I. ; Easton Chapter, No. 173,
R. A. ;M. ; and Hugh DePayens Commandery,
No. 19, K. T. He also belongs to the Sons of
Veterans Camp of Easton. A member of che
Presbyterian church, he is now serving as a
trustee of the Brainard Union Church. On the
iitli of June, 1890, Mr. Hay wedded Miss Mar-
garet Vance Hunt, a daughter of Floyd B. and
Katherine (Folkerson) Hunt, of Virginia. Mrs.
Hay was born October 4, 1866, and there are six
children of this marriage : William Oscar, Jr.,
who was horn April 15, 189 1 ; Katherine Folker-
son, born November 11, 1893; James Hurt Wil-
son, born September 11, 1897; Alexander Wilson,
born February 10, 1899 ; Margaret, born October
22, 190 1 ; and Annie Wilson, who was born Sep-
tember 20, 1903.

JAMES W. CORRELL, one of the repre-
sentative and successful business men of Easton,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, is a lineal

Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 36 of 92)