John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 38 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 38 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tional training. Desirious of becoming a member
of the bar, he took up the study of law under Hon.
William Beidelman (then state senator), and
after a thorough and careful preparation was ad-
mitted to the bar in May, 1881. Immediately
afterward he opened an office in Easton, where he
has gained an enviable position among the lead-
ing lawvers of the state. The position which ]\Ir.
Steele holds in the regard of the legal fraternity
is indicated bv the fact that he is now president
of the Northampton County Bar Association, and
vice-president of the State Bar Association. He
was one of the organizers and the first president
of the Northampton Trust Company, and is a
director of the First National Bank. He belongs
to the board of trustees of the public library, and
has been a co-operant factor in many measures
for general progress and improvement. He filled



i





^C^C-^^^^L^^^^^i^^



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



209



the position of city council for tliree terms, and
was a member of the school board four terms.

I\Ir. Steele was married, in 1895, to ]\Iiss
Blanche A. Leith, of Philadelphia, a daughter of
S. A. Leith, and they have one child, Adele
Steele.

GARRETT B. LINDER;\L\X. prominently
identified with large manufacturing, mining and
financial interests in Bethlehem, Northampton
county, Pennsylvania, comes in both parental lines
from a splendid ancestry, notable for strong men-
tality and useful achievements.

The Linderman family was planted in Amer-
ica in about the first decade of the eighteenth cen-
tury by Jacob Von Kinderman, or Linderman,
who was a descendant of ]\Iargaretta Linderman,
the wife of Hans Luther, and mother of ]\Iartin
Luther. Jacob Linderman, possessed of the same
sturdy spirit which animated his kinsman, the
Great Reformer, to escape religious persecution
expatriated himself, fleeing from his native Sax-
ony to England, whence he came to this country.
He first settled near Kingston, in Ulster county.
New York, but subsequently removed to Orange
comity. He was prominent in public and relig-
ious affairs, and was an elder in the Presbyterian
church.

Henry Linderman, son of Jacob Linderman,
was a large landholder in Orange county, New
York, and was also owner of a number of slaves
in a day when slaveholding was not deemed in-
compatible with a religious life. He married
Sarah, daughter of Aloses Shaw, who served in
the Fifth New York Regiment of Continental
troops, and was killed in the battle of Bemis's
Heights, near the famous field of Saratoga. Three
of his sons came to distinction — John J. Linder-
man, of whom further, as a physician ; and James
Oliver and Willett Linderman in the field of law.
James O. Linderman was a law partner of Gen-
eral George H. Sharpe (who had been his pre-
ceptor in law), was appointed first judge of the
Ulster county court of common pleas, was elected
first county judge when the new constitution sub-
stituted that office for the former, in 1846, and
served as such until 1855, the year before his

14



death. Willett Linderman also attained prom-
inence in the profession, and was district attorney
of Ulster county from 1837 to 1846.

John Jordan Linderman, son of Henry Lin-
derman, was born in 1787, in Orange county,
New York, in the house built by his grandfather,
Jacob. He had the best possible preparation for
the profession which he came to adorn. He
studied medicine in New York City under the
mo.st eminent teachers of their place and time — •
the two Hosacks, father and son, and Valentine
Alott. who laid the foundations for the present
day medical colleges and hospitals of the Ameri-
can metropolis. For a half-century he cared for
a large practice in Pike county, Pennsylvania,
often making a daily journey of forty miles on
horseback or twenty miles afoot in his profes-
sional rounds. He treated his poor patients with
as much consideration as he did those who were
able to recompense him, and his cheery geniality
made him an ideal physician in the sick room.
He was among the first to abandon the practice of
blood-letting and to curtail the use of mercurial
preparations, substituting remedies of his own,
and achieving phenomenal success in the treat-
ment of certain diseases, notably typhoid fever,
which in that day was deemed wellnigh fatal and
beyond the skill of the physician. He was for
many years a Mason, and past master of the lodge
at ^lauch Chunk, Pennsylvania.

Dr. John J. Linderman married Rachel Brod-
head, a sister of Hon. Richard Brodhead, at one
time United States senator from Pennsylvania.
She came of excellent family, descended from
Captain Daniel Brodhead, of the British gren-
adiers, who came with Governor Nichols in 1664
and wrested New Amsterdam from the Dutch,
making it New York. He settled near Esopus,
New York, and reared a family. j\Irs. Linder-
man's father was Judge Richard Brodhead, of
Pike county, Pennsylvania : her grandfather, Gar-
rett Brodhead, was a sergeant in the New Jer-
sey line in the Revolution : her granduncle, Luke
Brodhead, was a captain in the Sixth Pennsyl-
vania Regiment, who was disabled at the battle of
Brandvwine, receiving a wound from which he
never ceased to suffer; her great-uncle, Daniel



2IO



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Brodhead, was colonel of the Eighth Pennsyl-
vania Regiment of the Continental line, brevet
brigadier-general and commander of the western
military department, 1778-1781, and for eleven
years was surveyor-general of Pennsylvania. Mrs.
Linderman was a most estimable woman, whose
gentle nature and kindly sympathies made her
the dear friend of all with whom she was asso-
ciated.

Dr. John J. and Rachel (Brodhead) Linder-
man reared a family conspicuous for the useful-
ness of their lives. Henry R. Linderman, born
December 25, 1825, graduated in medicine in
1846, and practiced in the counties of Pike and
Carbon, Pennsylvania, until 1854, when failing
health obliged him to abandon his profession.
For ten years he was employed as clerk in the
United States Mint in Philadelphia, and in 1867
was appointed its director; in 1869 he was ap-
pointed a commissioner of the United States
Treasury Department, and from then until his
death, in 1879, he was constantly engaged in gov-
ernmental work pertaining to the monetary sys-
tem, and was instrumental in effecting much im-
portant legislation. The other two sons were
Garrett B. Linderman, of whom further ; and
Albert B. Linderman.

Garrett Brodhead Linderman, son of Dr.
John J. and Rachel (Brodhead) Linderman, was
a man of extraordinary ability, and his activities
extended into various fields. In his early man-
hood he was a skillful and successful physician,
but for the latter thirty years of his life he was
one of the most potential factors in the manufac-
turing, mining, and transportation and financial
iterests of Pennsylvania. He was a native of the
State, born in Lehman township, Pike county,
October 15, 1829. He obtained his education in
the jmlilic schools, and began the study of medi-
cine under the masterly preceptorship of his
father, subsequently attending tlie College of
Physicians and Surgeons, New York City, from
which he received his medical degree. For sev-
eral years he practiced in association with his
father, and then for two years (1853-1855) at
Unionvilk', New Jersey. He then succeeded his
brother, Dr. Henry L. Linderman, as physician



of the Nesquehoning Coal Company. During the
subsequent cholera epidemic at Mauch Chunk he
gave his services to the people of that sorely
stricken village, and with such zeal and success
that they earnestly solicited him to become a resi-
dent, and he continued to labor there for ten
years, making for himself a splendid reputation
as a practitioner. His abilities were recognized
far beyond his immediate sphere, and he would
undoubtedly have soon been called to a higher
place in the profession had it not been that cir-
cumstances led him away from it altogether.

In i860 his arduous work as a physician had.
so impaired his health that he found it necessary
to abridge his effort, and he devoted his atten-
tion in part to commercial affairs, and soon after-
ward gave himself to such pursuits entirely. In
1863 he became an active partner in the East
Sugar Loaf Colliery as a member of the firm of
Packer, Linderman & Company, and a partner
in the Room Run Colliery, operated by Douglas,
Skeer & Company, conducting all the business of
the first named firm, and also that of the other,
on the retirement of Mr. Douglas, in 1865. The
output of both collieries, reaching tidewater, was
sold by E. A. Packer & Company until 1867,
when Mr. Packer withdrew, and the firm became
G. B. Linderman & Company. From this time
Mr. Linderman had charge of both production
and sales departments, and was necessarily in
New York City the greater part of the time.
Discerning the fact that so many coal producing
firms in the Lehigh Valley, producing and mar-
keting without concert of action, were working
an injury to themselves and to the business at
large, he set to work to remedy the evil and or-
ganized the Lehigh Coal Exchange, of which he
was elected president, and which position he occu-
pied until his death.

It would be difficult to detect a feature of the
commercial, financial and moral life of the com-
nuniity which was not colored by the personality
and genius of Dr. Linderman. In 1878 he organ-
ized the banking firm of G. R. Linderman & Com-
panv, at Mauch Chunk. In 1S70 he removed to
Soutli Bethlehem, and erected a fine mansion on
Fountain Hill, which was his home during the



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



211



remainder of his life. In 1S72 he organized the
Lehigh Valley National Bank of Bethlehem, and
became its president. In 1877 ^^ aided the
Bethlehem Iron Company with a large sum of
money at a critical moment, and was elected man-
aging director and subsequently general manager.
Through his active and intelligent effort a threat-
ened calamity was avoided, and the business was
placed upon a substantial basis. He remained in
charge until his death, and brought the firm to an
exceptionally foremost place in the manufactur-
ing world. He was a prime factor in the found-
ing of the Association of the Bessemer Steel Com-
panies of the United States, and was a member of
its board of control from the beginning. He was
also chairman of the Wilbur Mining and Manu-
facturing Company of Ontario, Canada ; organ-
izer and for some years chairman of the Jaraugua
Iron Company, Limited, of Cuba ; a shareholder
and director in the Lehigh Valley Railroad, and a
member of various other corporations. To all
he gave a close and intelligent attention, and he
was recognized both in Pennsylvania and in New
York as one of the most capable men of his state
in commercial and financial affairs.

His devotion to such manifold interests, upon
whose proper maintenance depended the for-
tunes of hundreds of careful investors, among
them widows and orphans, as well as the daily
bread of thousand of wage earners, did not com-
plete the measure of his exceptionally busy and
useful life. He was an original member of the
board of trustees of Lehigh University, chairman
of the executive committee of that body, and a
member of the building committee. He labored
zealously in the work of establishing and develop-
ing this now famous institution of learning, and
his interest remained undiminished until his
death. He was also for a umber of years a mem-
ber of the board of trustees of St. Luke's Hos-
pital. To both the institutions named, as well as
to others, he was a constant and liberal donor.
He and his family were communicants of the
Church of the Nativity (Protestant Episcopal) at
South Bethlehem. Pennsylvania, and he contrib-
uted liberally to its maintenance and to its vari-
ous benevolences. In politics he was an ardent



Democrat, and gave to his party a vigorous sup-
port. In 1878 he came within a few votes of
receiving the nomination of his district for con-
gress, and his name was brought forward fre-
quently afterwards, but he invariably declined,
feeling that the interests of the community would
be better subserved by his undivided attention to
business aft'airs. During the Hancock campaign
he took a particularly active part, and organized
the Democracy of South Bethlehem, and was
president of the Central Club. On the eve of the
presidential election he presided at a large mass
meeting, and made a masterly speech on the tariff
question from a Democratic standpoint.

Dr. Linderman was twice married. His first
wife, to whom he was united August 21, 1856,
was Miss Lucy Packer, a daughter of Judge Asa
Packer, the distinguished philanthropist and
friend of education, to whose municificent gener-
osity is due the founding of Lehigh University.
Mrs. Linderman. a woman of lovely character,
who was her husband's devoted aid in all benevo-
lent works, died in July, 1872, leaving three chil-
dren — Sallie, deceased, the wife of Warren A.
Wilbur ; Robert P. Linderman, deceased, of whom
a sketch appears in this work ; and Garrett B. Lin-
derman, who conducts the business with which
his father was so long identified. March 16, 1880,
Ur. Linderman married Miss Frances Evans,
daughter of Rlr. George A. Evans, of Brooklyn,
New York, and of this marriage were born three
daughters — Lillian, Ida and Helen.

Dr. Linderman died September 28, 1885, at
his residence on Fountain Hill, South Bethlehem,
from congestion of the brain. He had been fail-
ing for some months, and during the summer
had spent a portion of his time at Long Branch,
in company with his family, attending only to
such business as necessity imperatively demanded.
In connection with the association of steel manu-
facturers formed that year, he performed seme
important work, and visited Bethlehem late in
August, and the iron works, of which he was
manager, September ist. Returning to Long
Branch, he was again at his home in South
Bethlehem on the tenth of that month, and there
remained until the end came.



212



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



His death was widely and deeply deplored,
creating, as it did, a great void in various im-
portant business circles, as well as in the social
life of the community. The tributes paid to his
memory were fervent and sincere. His interest
in the borough where was his home, and in the
adjacent town of Bethlehem, were ever active and
warm, and hundreds of their people had profited
by his advice and aitl, in private and in municipal
affairs. His business career has been narrated
with sufficient particularity, but this was only one
side of his life. Mention, too, has been made of
his zealous interest in educational and charitable
works. In his personal relations with his fellows
he was the ideal christian gentleman. His large
wealth worked no diminution of his sympathy
for the individual, nor caused him to hold aloof
from immediate contact with the normal life of
the community. He was a democrat in the largest
and best meaning of a most comprehensive word.
He delighted in the discovery of true manhood,
was quick to recognize merit, and was ever ready
to render aid to the enterprising and honorable
man whose integrity and habits of life commanded
confidence. It is said of him upon excellent
authority that many business men who have
achieved success in Bethlehem and vicinity owe
their beginnings to his wise counsel and timely
assistance. His confidence once won was lasting,
and he was a stalwart friend, in storm and sun-
shine, and despite detraction. Such qualities,
united with his excellent executive ability, tenacity
of purpose and remarkable discernment, marked
him as one of the reallv remarkable and admir-
able men of a remarkable period, when the region
with which he was so long identified was entering
upon a new and phenomenal growth along all lines
of progression, moral as well as material. His
home life was of singular beauty, all about him
testifying to his refinement and intelligence, and
his devotion to a family regard after his own
lofty ideals.

Garrett B. Linderman, Jr., son of Dr. Garrett
B. and Lucy (Packer) Linderman, was married,
November 26, i8?9, to Miss Jennie Seymour
Brodhead, born in Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania,
daughter of Abraham Brodhead, now deceased.



Of this marriage were born the following chil-
dren : Garrett Brodhead, Robert Seymour, Bev-
erly Warner, Stuart Henry and Sidney Ely.

ROBERT PACKER LINDERMAN, who
was long and prominently identified with various
of the most important industrial and financial in-
terests of the Lehigh Valley, was born at Mauch
Chunk, Pennsylvania, July 26, 1863, and died
January 21, 1903. The splendid ancestry from
which he sprang is written upon other pages of
this work.

At the age of thirteen years Robert P. Linder-
man entered Mt. Pleasant Military Academy at
Sing Sing, New York, where he spent four years,
being graduated with valedictorian honors. His
academic course was supplemented by the knowl-
edge and pleasure gained from travel in Europe,
and upon his return to his native country in the
autumn of 1880 he matriculated in the Lehigh
L'niversity, and was graduated therefrom in 1884
with the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy. While
pursuing his undergraduate course he was elected
a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society, and
was for two years president of the Alumni As-
sociation of the University. For many years he
was a member of the executive committee of the
board of trustees of the Lehigh LTniversity, his
alma mater.

After completing his L'nivcrsity studies he
entered the employ of the firm of Linderman &
Skeer, coal operators, of which firm his father
was the senior partner, and upon his father's
death, in September, 1885, he became the head of
the firm and conducted an enterprise of extensive
proportions until the spring of 1897, when the
firm retired. Various other important enter-
prises, however, claimed the attention of Mr.
Linderman. On January 31, 1885, he was elected
a director of the Lehigh Valley National Bank
of Bethlehem, and at the death of his father, who
was the founder of the institution, he was elected
to the position of vice-president. Following the
death of President Weiss he was elected his suc-
cessor on March 5, 1888, and was at that time
the youngest president of a national bank in the
Ignited States. He was a director in the Turugua



GENEALOGICAL AND. PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



213



Iron Company in Cuba. On December 15. 1885,
he was elected director of the Bethlehem Iron
Company to fill the vacancy caused by the death cf
his father; was elected vice-president in 1888, and
president in May, 1890. This company was
merged into the Bethlehem Steel Company, one
of the largest works in the county, which was
capitalized at fifteen million dollars and he con-
tinued its president until August, 1901. He was
one of the foremost business men of this section
of the state, and his ready understanding of bus-
iness situations and recognition of possibilities
made him a valued factor in community affairs,
and as a promoter of a number of important en-
terprises his labors proved of marked benefit to
the locality in which he resided. He also took a
keen interest in church matters, was a vestryman
for many years in the Church of the Nativity
(Protestant Episcopal) at South Bethlehem,, and
with his sister and brother erected a chancel in
the church. He was a trustee of St. Luke's
Hospital, which was the object of his liberal
benefactions, and took a great interest in all
affairs of his day and time. He was a man of
winning personalitv, his heart ever warm with
kindliness and sympathy for his fellows. Those
in distress, of body or mind, found in him a ready
helper. He aided many to the acquisition of
home and establishment in business, but his bene-
factions were bestowed so entirely without osten-
tation that they went unheralded save by the
recipients of his bounty.

Robert P. Linderman married, October 15,
1884, Miss Ruth ]May Sayre, who was born ]\Iay
II, 1864, a daughter of Robert H. and Evelyn
(Smith) Sayre. Their children were: Ruth Eve-
lyn, bom August 23, 1885 ; ]\Iary Evelyn, born
July 15, 1889; Lucy Evelyn, born October 9,
1892 : Evelyn, born September 27, 1893 : Chris-
tine, born June 17, 1895 ; and Robert Packer, born
May 29, 1898.

WILLIA:\I E. BUCKMAN, D. D. S., who
has gained an enviable reputation in his profes-
sion, which he has practiced in Easton, North-
ampton county, Pennsylvania, since 1857, was
born in Wrightstown township, now Penn town-



ship, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, April 17, 1829,
a son of George and Jane (Ely) Buckman, and
grandson of Stacy and ]\lary (Brown) Buckman.

Stacy Buckman (grandfather) was born in
Newtown, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, and was a
lineal descendant of William Buckman, who came
to this country with William Penn, the founder
of the state of Pennsylvania, in 1682. Stacy
Buckman followed the quiet but useful calling of
agriculture during his entire active career, the
greater part of which was spent in the town of
Darby, Pennsylvania. He married ]\lary Brown,
and the issue of this union was five children :
George, Jonathan, Mahlon, Kirkbride, and Stacy
Buckman. The death of Mr. Buckman occurred ,
when he had attained middle life.

George Buckman (father) was, born in Darby,.
Pennsylvania, in 1803. In 1809, when he was
ojilv six years of age, his mother died, and he
was reared by his grandfather, Stacy Buckman,
ir. the town of Buckman, Bucks county, Pennsyl-
vania. After attaining young manhood he estab-
lished a business for the manufacture of plows
and agricultural implements, and this line of
trade he followed with a large degree of success
during his entire life time, in the town of Buck-
manville. He was a thoroughly reliable business
man, and his name in the commercial world was
svnonvmous with integrity and honorable deal-
ing. Mr. Buckman was united in marriage to
Jane Ely, daughter of William Ely, of Bucks
countv, Pennsvlvania, and a member of the So-
ciety of Friends. They were the parents of eight
children, four of whom attained years of maturity,
namely : \Mlliam E., Mahlon B., Fannie, and
Frank E. Buckman. George Buckman. father of
these children, and his brother, Jonathan Buck-
man, were twins, and at the time of his death,
which occurred in 1892, were said to be the oldest
twins in the United States. Mrs. Buckman died
in the year 1861.

^^'ilIiam E. Buckman, son of George and Jane
(Ely) Buckman, acquired an excellent English
education in the public schools of Bucks coun-
tv, at the school of Joseph Foulk, in Montgomery
countv, and at a school conducted under the com-
petent supervision of Buckman Brothers, in the



214



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



vicinity of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He
studied dentistry under the personal supervision
of Dr. W. W. Trego, of Bucks county, Pennsyl-
vania, began the practice of his profession in Lam-
bertsville in 1854, and three years later located in
Easton, Northampton county, where he has con-
tinuously practiced ever since, a period of nearly
half a century. During this time he built up a
large and lucrative practice, and for many years
has ranked as one of the most efficient dental
surgeons in the city of Easton. Dr. Buckman
has been an adherent of the Republican party since
its formation, and was elected a member of the
common council on the organization of the cit}',
in 1887, and has been re-elected at each successive
election to 1903. He is a prominent member of
the Protestant Episcopal church, in the work of
which he takes a keen and deep interest.

In 1861 Dr. Buckman married Josephine Else-
good, of Philadelphia, a daughter of Colonel Wil-
liam H. Elsegood, a native of England, who came
to this country about the year 1832 or 1833.
Their children are : William . G., actively con-
nected with the Leedon Carpet Manufactory, of
Bristol, Pennsylvania; Edward S., engaged in the
capacity of clerk in the Simons Silk Factory of
Easton, Pennsylvania ; Helen ; and Frank R., the
efficient and competent superintendent of the
Easton Cordage Company,

PETER BRADY. One of the most promi-
nent among the representative men of afifairs in
the city of Easton, Pennsylvania, and one whose
activities have been extended through the unusual
period of almost sixty years, is Peter Brady, a
civil and mining engineer, who has gained a wide
reputation and at the present time (1904) prob-
ably has no superiors in liis profession. Irish by



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 38 of 92)