John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 4 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 4 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


semi-centennial celebration of the College in 1882 :
"He was an educator in the true etymological
sense of the term. If there was any latent force
in a student, he could draw it out. If the preach-
ing of Dr. Junkin inspired the students with
theocratic faith and consecrated zeal, Dr. Yeo-
mans quickened their rational naiure to a sense
of the nobleness of intellectual exertion and the
glory of scholastic triumphs to a degree they had
never experienced before."

When Dr. Junkin again returned to his po-
sition here, students continued to increase in num-
ber, and the e.xcellence of the institution gained
new recognition. Beside his constant administra-
tion of the College, and his vigorous instruction
in philosophy. Dr. Junkin preached in many
neighboring pulpits, always carrying his little
red covered memorandum book with him, ' in
which he often had the pleasure of recording the
names of willing givers to the endowment of the
College. These gifts were numerous, but not
of large amount. Pennsylvania and New Jersey
had not yet learned to give, and Stephen Girard
had no imitators. President Junkin addressed
large audiences with power and persuasive-
ness. Old citizens describe his course of
lectures on "Prophecy" on Sunday after-
noons in the largest church in the town,
which was crowded to the very doors, to
listen to his interesting exposition of intricate
passages in sacred writ. In 1848 the number of
students reached 118. Owing to dissensions in
the board of trustees he that year resigned his
high office. So great was his popularity that the
majority of the students accompanied him to
Washington College, Virginia, and there gradu-
ated. Other professors also withdrew, until the
continuity of the faculty rested on a single thread.
Professor James H. Coffin alone remained. Re-
duced to thirteen students, the four classes of the
institution were maintained and continued to pur-
sue the full course of study under this remark-
able teacher, a man fully equal to the emergency.
For twenty-seven years the College enjoyed the



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



15



I



services of this able and distinguished scholar,
whose impress upon the curriculum and form-
ulae of College life is a cherished tradition.

An Endowment Sought. — There was
no endowment fund. In 1850 the Synod of
Philadelphia assumed a certain measure of con-
trol of the College, and ap-
pointed a new president, Rev.
Daniel V. McLean, D. D. With
courage and zeal he undertook
the task of raising an endow-
ment. This occupied four years ;
and when, on the evening of De-
cember 31, 1853, his own sub-
scription of $6,000 completed
the sum of $100,000 pledged, a
glad new year came to the insti-
tution. The windows of the
South College blazed with a
hrilliant illumination, and the
students paraded the town with
transparencies telling in stately
Latin of their President's
achievement. Edsall Ferrier, a
student who afterward became
an eminent member of the facul-
ty, made an address of congratu-
lation. The era of prosperity
Three commodious residences
the older professors. The appearance of the
campus was improved, and the approach to
it made more attractive. The number of
students steadily increased. The courses of
study were also advanced ; and new vigor was
■everywhere manifested. Such brilliant instruc-
tors were added to the faculty as Professors Wil-
liam C. Cattell and Francis A. IMarch.

Rev. George Wilson McPhail, D. D., LL. D.,
who had been for some years the scholarly pastor
■of the Brainerd Presbyterian church in Easton,
was called to the presidency in 1857, Dr. McLean
having resigned.

The Students Become Soldiers. — The war
cloud of 1861 overshadowed everv College
in the middle states. The students of the
College organized themselves into a militarv



company for daily drill, and soon there were not
enough remaining to go through the form of
commencement exercises in 1863. A proud
chapter in the record of the alumni of Lafayette
is that which contains its military roll. Not
counting, of course, the five trustees who served




was dawning,
were built for



VAN WICKLE MEMORIAL LIBRARY.

in the war of 1812-1815, it bears two hundred
and eighty-six names, of whom two hundred and
fifty-six served in the army and navy on the Un-
ion side in i86i to 1865. This includes only
those who were regularly mustered into military
service, and does therefore not contain many who
served their country efficiently, but did not wear
the soldier's uniform. Every institution felt the
heavy hand of war, but not for a day were the
doors of Lafayette closed, nor was one recitation
emitted. Such men as Professors Coffin, March,
Coleman, Eckard and Youngman, never knew
what it was to be absent from their post of duty or
to omit a recitation. Although funds were low and
students few, the faculty kept on. and the fires on
Lafayette's altar were kept burning. It was in
1S63 that the happy thought came to the board
of trustees to invite one of their number, who
hrd formerly been an efficient n:ember of the de-



i6



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



partment of Latin and Greek, to become president
of the College. In the recent war with Spain
thirty Lafayette students held positions.

The Brilli.xnt Presidency of Dr. W. C.
Cattell. — Dr. Cattell accordingly left his
flourishing charge in Harrisburg to ac-
cept the arduous duties of the presidency, and
without assurance of any compensation. He
brought to his task a spirit of tare devotion and
wonderful enthusiasm, and a firm faith that a
forward movement could be made with increased
success. Genial and sunny in disposition, pro-
gressive in his plans, charitable to those who dif-
fered from him, he won friends in every direction.
His solicitations for funds were not unheeded.
Often rebuffed, he did not falter, and in his ample
dictionary was no such word as fail. Iiuprobiis
labor omnia vincit." When in 1864 the number
of students was raised to fifty-one, he was wont
to humorously answer those who asked how
many there were, by replying, "Between fifty and
one hundred." And this well illustrated his
sunny mood. He early gained the sympathy of
Ario Pardee, who for thirty years had been well
known as a miner of anthracite in Hazleton. A
man of broad views, matured by early training,
diligent reading and an equal thirst for knowl-
edge, this pliilanthropist became an ardent friend
of the College. Beginning in October, 1864, by
the gift of $20,000, he steadily increased his bene-
factions until they resulted in the endowment and
establishment of the Pardee Scientific Depart-
ment, in Alarcli, 1866. This twin sister of the
old-line classical department has thrived mightily.
It is related that Mr. Pardee's sympathy for the
College was especially aroused on Dr. Cattell's
first visit to him, when the president mentioned
that among the alumni who had contributed one
hundred dollars each to the endowment was a
minister living near Hazleton, who during his
College course had been a clerk for Mr. Pardee.

School of Technology Established. — For
thirty-three years the College had been
conducted wholly along classical lines. Greek
and Latin were pursued by every student.
But the tide of industrial activity that was called
forth in every part of the land upon the conclu-



sion of the war, was felt in many institutions, and
their curricula were extended to meet the new
demand for a practical education. Lafayette
was not deaf to the call.

Maurice C. Eby, of the class of 1869, who was
later mayor of Harrisburg, was the first person
to enter the new course of scientific study. The
demand for technical instruction sprang up so-
rapidly that professorships in mining, civil en-
gineering, mechanics, modern languages and the
natural sciences were established. Each of these
lines of study gained quick development under
the assiduous care of able instructors. Hereto-
fore the roll of the faculty had never contained
more than eight names ; now it was enlarged to-
twenty-one.

Donations and New Buildings Erected.
Men of wealth accepted seats in the board
of trustees. Thomas Beaver, of Danville,
endowed the chair of botany, to which he
gave the name of the Jessie Chamberlin Profes-
sorship, in loving memory of a daughter. Rev.
Thomas C. Porter, D. D., LL. D., a alumnus of
the class of 1840, who had for a score of years
ably filled the Professorship of Natural Sciences
in Franklin and Marshall College, was called ta
this chair, a position which he graced for thirty-
five years, until his death in 1901. Dr. Porter
gradually built up an extensive College Herbar-
ium particularly rich in North American species.
It contains the type-specimens of the species de-
scribed by him in his monographs. A Library
also, rich in the literature pertaining to the sub-
ject, has been accumulated in the same way, and
the letters received in correspondence with dis-
tinguished naturalists have been preserved. The
flora of the state of Pennsylvania is acknowledged
to be the most complete in existence. It is fully
described by him in a posthumous work edited
by his nephew, John Kunkel Small, Ph. D., 1903.
In Northampton county and at various points
along the Delaware river Dr. Porter discovered
many rare plants some of them belonging to vege-
tation of the glacial epoch.

Another liberal donor was Barton H. Jenks,
of Philadelphia, who built on the lower slope of
the campus the handsome and commodious hall



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



17



that still bears his name, and is now used by the
Biological Department. The Astronomical Ob-
servatory was erected in 1865 by the liberality of
Professor Traill Green, M. D., LL. D., whose
services to the College as professor and trustee
began in 1837 and ended with his death in 1897.
At the time of laying of its corner stone an ad-
dress was delivered by Professor William Hark-
ness, M. D., LL. D., of the class of 1858, who
for a long time was connected with the scientific
work of the government, and well known as the
head of the Naval Observatorv at ^^'ashington.



of the building. Another trustee who also served
the College long and well, was found in Williami
Adamson, a manufacturer of Philadelphia, wha
was an elder in the church at Germantown, of
which Dr. Knox was pastor. The latter so ur-
gently stated the needs of the College that Mr.
Adamson was led to endow the Professorship of
Analytical Chemistry in the sum of $20,000. The
Professorship of ^Mining Engineering was en-
dowed by George B. Alarkle, of Hazleton. John'
Welles Hollenback, the successor of Mr. Pardee
as president of the board of trustees, endowed




OBSERVATORY.



It consists of a tower, two transit rooms with a
lecture room attached, is fitted up with re-
volving dome and telescope, a transit instru-
ment, and other apparatus for observing
astronomical facts, and for a thorough
study of astronomy. The citizens of Easton
added a commodious wing at the east end of the
original College building, and several ladies of
Pennsylvania contributed funds to build a chapel
at the west end, thus completing the symmetry
2



the Professorship of Mathematics, besides mak-
ing generous gifts to the College. The benefac-
tions of JNIr. Hollenback constitutes of itself a
long chapter in the history of the College. He is
still living, and continuing his friendly interest
in the institution, with which members of his
family have been connected during nearly all its
history.

In "The ]\Ien of Lafayette," page 47, we find
the statement that the citizens of Easton con-



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



tributed in 1872 the sum of $22,624 to complete
the east wing of South College, and in 1872, the
sum of $4,700 toward the new Chapel, to which
also Mrs. W. C. Ferriday and Mrs. Ellen J.
Welles, of Wyalusing, Pennsylvania, contributed
each $5,000. John A. Brown, of Philadelphia,
$20,000; Charles O. Baird, of Philadelphia, $16,-
000; F. JNIarquand's estate, of Brooklyn, $17,500;
William E. Dodge, of New York and Joseph H.
Scranton, of Scranton, Pennsylvania, each $15,-
000; Thomas L. McKeen and Mrs. W. C. Cat-
tell, both of Easton, each $10,000; Seldon T.
Scranton, of Oxford, New Jersey, $7,500; Al-
fred Martien, of Philadelphia, and Benjamin G.
Clark, of New York, each $6,000 ; Morris Patter-
son, of Philadelphia, Rev. Matthew Newkirk, of
Philadelphia, John T. Johnston, of New York,
Alexander Whilklin, of Philadelphia, Thomas
Dickson, of Scranton, G. Dawson Coleman, of
Lebanon, and Matthew Baird, of Philadelphia,
each $5,000. Hon. John I. Blair, candidate for
the governorship of New Jersey, gave a consider-
able tract of land to the College. When the little
red memorandum book of President Junkins
"(previously mentioned in this article) was shown
him bv Dr. Cattell, in which was recorded his sub-
scription of $2.00 to the College in 1834, he
readily accepted the suggestion that this invest-
ment had proved so profitable that it deserved to
be increased. Accordingly he bought a residence
for the president, and endowed the presidential
chair in the sum of $40,000.

Great demands were made on the College on
account of its peculiar relations to the industrial
resources of our country. Lafayette College is
in the midst of the great mining and manufac-
turing region of the middle states. Every process
used in the mining and working of the various
ores of iron, and the' manufacture of iron into
the thousand forms in which it is used, is going
on almost within sight. Near by are the coal
mines that supply the markets of Philadelphia
and New York. Mineral wealth abounds on all
sides. The expert is continually called on to
examine new tracts of land, to analyze new ores,
and to devise new ways of working and handling
them. Here every resource of engineering is



displayed in the works connected with the prep-
aration and transport of lumbei, and the carry-
ing of railroads and canals through the moun-
tains and over the rivers. Those who wish to
prepare themselves to be working engineers in
any of these departments come from all parts of
the country to observe and study these works, and
it is most desirable that adequate means should
he provided for the prosecution of scientific stu-
dies in the midst of them. It will be noticed
throughout that the whole scientific course is
intended to have the christian character which
its trustees have always endeavored to impress
upon the studies of the College, and that science
shall be here so taught as to become the hand-
maid of religion. Beside the scientific and thor-
ough study of the Word of God in all the classes
special lectures are given upon the relation of
science with religion.

P.\RDEE Hall Erected. — In 1869 Pres-
ident Cattell made an extended tour of
Europe, where he visited many institutions of
learning, and particularly those in which scien-
tific instruction was prominent. On his return
Mr. Pardee gave ready ear to his report, and list-
ened cheerfully to the suggestion that the outfit
of the College should be completed by the con-
struction of an edifice especially adapted to the
growth and new needs of Lafayette. Consequently
Mr. Pardee began the erection of the stately hall
that was honored with his name. Of generous
proportions and large capacity, it has long proved
a comfortable home for the technical courses of
study. Though accidentally destroyed by fire in
1879, it was rebuilt with increased facilities for
instruction. At the rededication in 1880 there
w,as present an illustrious group, including among
others President Hayes, Hon. Alexander Ram-
sey, Secretary of War, Hon. Horace Maynard,
Postmaster General, General William T. Sher-
man, and many other officials of high repute.

In its various laboratories, museums, and
apartments devoted to many lines of professional
study for the engineer and man of science. Par-
dee Hall has an ample and generous equipment.
Valuable apparatus of great variety has been
gathered, models of machinery arc ready for in-



GENEALOGICAL AXD PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



19



spcction by tlie students, and many original dis-
coveries have been made by those who have
searched diligently into the recesses of natural
physics.

The labor of President Cattell was assiduous
and in every way successful. His last work was
the gathering of funds with which to erect a
suitable gymnasium, which was completed about



him. A beautiful dormitory bearing his name
commemorates his welcome aid.

Dr. \\'arfield Chosen President. — In
1S90 Dr. Traill Green became acting president
upon the resignation of Dr. Knox. The trus-
tees sought for a permanent president, whom
they found in 1891, when Ethelbert Dudley War-
field, LL. D., was called from the presidency of




PARDEE HALL.



the time of his resignation in 1884. The imme-
diate successor of President Cattell was Rev.
James H. ]\Iason Knox, D. D., LL. D., who had
long served the College efficiently as a trustee
and under his care the institution continued to
maintain a high standard of scholarship in all its
departments. It was through his wisdom and
foresight that Daniel B. Fayerweather, a wealthy
manufacturer of leather in New York City, be-
came interested in the College, and added La-
fayette to the list of institutions so generously
remembered in his will. The fruits of his bene-
faction came to the College a few years later in
double the amount of the $50,000 first written by



Miami Lniversity, Oxford, Ohio, to take charge
of the fortunes of Lafayette. It is interesting
to note that a half century before Lafayette had
given to ;\Iiami a president in Dr. George Junkin,
and soon afterward an able professor of Greek
and Latin, Charles Elliott, D. D., LL. D., of the
illustrious class of 1840, whose members all at-
tained great prominence. At the time of his elec-
tion Dr. Warfield was one of the youngest col-
lege presidents in the land. A lawyer by pro-
fession and gifted as a writer, he had already
penned articles for Quarterly Reviews, and writ-
ten a book entitled "History of the Kentucky Res-
olutions of 1798."* He entered upon his work



20



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



with ardor, and brought to it that energy that
comes from quick perception, tact and readiness
to improve every opportunity offered for the ad-
vancement of the College. Without undoing any
of the good work of his predecessors, he built
well on the foundation they had so wisely laid.
Political Science, as embraced in the study of
the Constitution of the United States, Political
Economy, and an elective course in the study of
Blackstone's Commentaries, had long been a
notable feature of the College curriculum. To this
Dr. W'arfield added a prescribed course of read-
ings upon the history of the American Colonies,
their relations with Great Britain prior to 1775,
and the causes and consequences of the Revolu-
tion. These and the study of English Constitu-
tional History are designed to give intelligent
basis for American citizenship, and to prepare
the way for original investigation into the early
history of our Country.

The Curriculum iModified and Extended.
— The course in Ethics and Theism has
been much extended. President Warfield
early heeded the call that came so loudly
from the medical profession for an extension of
the old line of study in the natural sciences to
embrace biology, at least so far as to initiate
college students into the new methods of Biolog-
ical research. The aim is to provide in the last
two years of the College course for the attain-
ment of practical knowledge in botany, zoology,
mammalian anatomy and histology, without sac-
rificing the ends of general culture and discipline,
which are sought in all the undergraduate courses.
A concise knowledge of the lower forms of ani-
mal and plant life is given, including a brief sur-
vey of bacteriology. Special attention is given
to the life history of the invertebrates and
their economic relations to the human race.
Vertebrate morphology gives an opportunity
for the comparative study of the various
systems and organs in the Vertebrata.
Amphioxus, petromyzen, carp, frog, tur-
tle, pigeon, cat and dog, are among the forms
dissected and otherwise studied. The manner of
development of the animal kingdom is brought
prominently before the student by specially pre-



pared charts and diagrams. Human anatomy
and physiology are taught by experiments, draw-
ings, reports, and recitations, by the students
and lectures, demonstrations, and quizzes by the
instructor. A large laboratory well equipped
with microscopes, microtome, water bath, Koch's
vegetation incubator, reagents, numerous skele-
tons, etc., afford ample facilities for the above
work.

Geology and mining are thoroughly studied.
Among the teaching appliances of this depart-
ment may be mentioned an excellent study col-
lection of igneous rocks consisting of about eight
hundred specimens, many of which have their
corresponding thin sections for microscopic
study. They are added to from time to time.
Also an equally good collection of twelve hun-
dred specimens illustrating stratigraphical geo-
logy, numerous physiographical and geological
maps; sixty- four large palaeontological charts,
made under the direction of Prof. V. Zittle, of
the University of Munich ; an excellent stereop-
ticon, with about seven hundred slides, illustrat-
ing a great variety of geological and palaeonto-
logical subjects, and numerous wooden, glass,
and plaster models for class room work in geo-
logy and mineralogy.

Another course that has proved extremely
popular was established in 1889 because of an ur-
gent call for it, viz : the course in Electrical En-
gineering. Several fine rooms in the eastern
end of Pardee Hall are devoted to it. The gen-
eral Laboratory is supplied with continuous cur-
rents from the Edison Illuminating Company.
There are separate laboratories for testing, for
photometric and spectroscopic work. A work-
shop is run by a gas engine and electric motors.
In it are lathes, emery wheels, and the usual ap-
pliances of a repair shop. Special libraries are
provided for the various technical courses — one
for the department of physics, for civil and min-
ing engineering, and biology and chemistry.

Early in Dr. Warfield's presidency came the
bequest of Daniel B. Fayerweather by means of
which the hall that bears his name and Knox
Hall were not only added to the dormitories, but
the architectural construction of all the buildings



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



21



in the row was renovated : steam heat and electric
hght were introduced ; and all the arrangements
of the dormitories made more convenient to the
students, and at the same time numerous archi-
tectural changes made the row far. more pleasing
to the eye.

The \'an^^'ickle iMemorial Library was com-
pleted in 1900. It is the fruit of the bequest of
the late A. S. VanWickle, of Hazleton, a son-in-
law of Ario Pardee. This library has given to
the College one of the most needed additions to
its equipment. A beautiful building of Pom-
peian brick and terra cotta thoroughly furnished
with the most approved appliances for library
work. It is at once a most beautiful and useful
feature of the College's development. It con-
tains a reading room in which the periodicals and
books, of most constant reference are to be found ;
a reference book department ; a large room for
general storage of the library ; librarian's room,
and smaller rooms for special work. Mrs. A^an-
Wickle has placed in the reading room a memorial
window executed by Tiffany & Company, repre-
senting Sir Philip Sidney at the siege of Zutphen.
The whole number of volumes in possession of
the College is now thirty thousand.

A fine structure occupies the northwestern
part of the campus, the gift of James Gayley. a
graduate of the class of 1876. i\Ir. Gayley now
occupies the responsible position of first vice-
president of the L'nited States Steel Corporation.
He, his honored father, and several other mem-
bers of his family before him, completed their
studies in Lafayette. They have all been devoted
to the interest of the College. This stately build-
ing bears over its front the inscription "The Gay-
ley Laboratory of Chemistrv and ^Metallurgy."

Perhaps no addition to the College in recent
years is more appreciated than the stately
Brainerd Hall, dedicated in 1902. It is intended
for the convenience of the students, and to be-
come the headquarters for their various public



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 4 of 92)