John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 41 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 41 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


David, born September 5, 1836, died April 19,
1903, married Frances A. Commins ; Mary M.,
born December 12, 1838; Samuel, born x\pril 18,
1840, died in October, 1855 ; Robert, born De-
cember 6, 1841, died February 14, 1881 ; Abra-
ham C, born September 8, 1844, married Eliza-
beth Frances Lovejoy; Antoinette, born Sep-
tember 19, 1846; James Grant, born September
9, 1849, died in 1882: Adelaide B., born October
21, 1851, died in 1856; and Alfred, born August
9, 1854.

Abraham Cargill Prince pursued his early
education in the public schools of Brooklyn, and
of New York city. He was just eighteen years
of age when, in September, 1862, he enlisted in
the First New York Mounted Rifles for three
years or during the war of the rebellion, and at
Richmond, Virginia, in 1865, he was honorably
discharged. Following his military service he
engaged in business in New York city as a coal
dealer, opening an office in Waverly Place.
There he remained until the spring of 1869, when
he removed to Carbon county, Pennsylvania, and
became connected with his father in the manu-
facture of paint, and also of concrete building
blocks and hydraulic cement. On the 21st of
September, 1886, he took up his abode in Bethle-
hem, Pennsylvania, where he continued to manu-
facture Prince's mineral brown and oxides of
iron. In April, 1879, he organized a stock com-



226



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



pany for the purpose of carrying on the business,
•was chosen its president and has since continued
in that capacity and as its active manager. The
manufacturing plant is at Bowman's, and a store
in New York city is maintained for the sale and
distribution of the product. Mr. Prince is a man
of marked business ability and enterprise, who
has directed his efforts in several lines of act-
ivity with good success. For many years he has
been a director in the Second National Bank of
Mauch Chunk. He is also connected with the
board of trade of Bethlehem.

Mr. Prince has been an influential factor in
various movements for general progress and im-
provement. While living in Carbon county,
Pennsylvania, he served as a school director, and
has also been a director of the Moravian parochial
school of Bethlehem for many years. He has
for seven years been a trustee of the Moravian
Theological College of Bethlehem, and is deeply
interested in the cause of education and its ad-
vancement. He is a member of the financial
board of the Moravian church of Bethlehem, in
which he has long held membership. His politi-
" cal support has been given to the Republican
party without interruption since he attained his
majority, and socially he is connected with J.
K. Taylor Post, No. i8i, G. A. R., of Bethlehem.

Mr. Prince was married, in Brooklyn, New
York, October 23, 1867, to Elizabeth Frances
Lovejoy, a daughter of Henry and Melinda
Crosby (Wheeler) Lovejoy. She is a great-
granddaughter of Major Abiel Abbott, of Wilton,
New Hampshire. About 185 1 her father re-
moved to New York city, where he was engaged
in electrotyping and stereotyping for many years
under the firm name of Lovejoy, Son & Company,
carrying on an extensive business. He was born
in Greenfield, New Hampshire. Mrs. Prince was
educated in the public schools of Brooklyn, New
York. Fred Lovejoy Prince, the eldest child of
this marriage, was born in Jersey City, New Jer-
sey, September 20, 1868, and died September 24,
1869. Alice Prince, born in Carbon county, Penn-
sylvania, January 26, 1874, was educated at the
Moravian parochial school of Bethlehem. Pcrsis
Lovejoy Prince, born at Millport, Carbon county,



Pennsylvania, October 2, 1876, died at that place
March 10, 1886. Antoinette M. Prince, born at
Millport, Carbon county. May 5, 1881, was edu-
cated in the Moravian parochial school at Bethle-
hem, and at "The Castle," in Tarrytown, New
York. Melinda Crosby, born at Millport, Penn-
sylvania, October 9, 1883, was educated in the
Moravian parochial school of Bethlehem and in
Smith College of ^Massachusetts. Florence Louise
Prince, born in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Novem-
ber 23, 1886, was educated in the Moravian paro-
chial school.

WILLIAM CLAY MIDDAUGH, D. D. S.,
engaged in the practice of dentistry in Easton,
belongs to one of the old families of Northampton
county. His paternal great-grandfather was
Thomas Middaugh, who resided in lower Mount
Bethel township, wdierc occurred the birth of
William B. Middaugh, the grandfather. He was
educated in the common schools, and afterward
followed farming in order to provide for his fam-
ily. Robert A. Middaugh, son of William B.
Middaugh, and father of Dr. Middaugh, was
born in Lower Mount Bethel, September 12, 1845,
and after attending the public schools near his
home pursued a course of study in a business
college of New York city, and in Dr. Grant's
school at Easton, Pennsylvania. On completing
his education he entered the book store of William
Maxwell in Easton, where he was employed as
clerk, and next became clerk to the superinten-
dent in the service of the Warren Foundry & Ma-
chine Company. He afterward went upon the
road as representative of Austin Nichols & Co.,
wholesale grocers, of New York and when sev-
eral years had thus passed he returned to Easton
and accepted the agency for the Climax DuPont
& Hazard Powder Company, which he is now
representing, having built up an extensive busi-
ness. Fraternally he is a Mason, and politically
a Democrat, while in reHgious faith he and his
family arc Presbyterians. He was married, in
1870, to Miss Ella Mutchler, a daughter of
George Mutchler, who was steward of the comity
home of Northamjiton county. Their children
are Dr. William Clay Middaugh, and Sarah R.,



I



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



227



the wife of Charles S. Howell, by whom she has
one son, Robert AI.

Dr. William Clay JMiddaugh was born in Eas-
ton, Pennsylvania, September 11, 1871, and after
pursuing a public school course, graduating in the
Easton high school, class of 1890, entered Lafay-
ette College. He next matriculated in the dental
department of the University of Pennsylvania and
following his graduation in 1892 located in Eas-
ton and opened an office and practiced for eleven
years in the demons Building, 433 Northampton
street. In May, 1903, he moved to the First Na-
tional Bank Building, where he has since con-
ducted a practice. He belongs to the Edward T.
Darby Dental Society, is a charter member and
first vice president of the Lehigh Valley Dental
Society, is a member of the Pennsylvania State
Dental Society, and is corresponding secretary of
the Susquehanna Dental Society. Socially he is
connected with the Pomfret Club of Easton, with
the Ancient Order of Heptasophs, and the Royal
Arcanum. Dr. Middaugh and his family at-
tend the services of the St. Paul's Lutheran
church in Easton.

He was married, in 1892, to Aliss Caroline L.
Sigman, a daughter of William Sigman, a resi-
dent of Easton, Pennsylvania, antl they have one
son, Carl S.

GEORGE P. ADAMSON, a partner of the
Baker and Adamson Chemical Company of Eas-
ton, was born in Philadelphia, August 24, 1863.
He pursued his early education in the public
schools, after which he entered Eastburn's Acad-
emy in Philadelphia, then to Blair's Hall, in
Blairstown, New Jersey, preparatory to college.
He entered Lafayette College in the year 1880,
taking a chemical course under Dr. Edward
Hart, and graduating in 1884.

He continued in Easton. forming a partnership
with John T. Baker, under the firm name of
Baker & Adamson. This was incorporated in
1896 for one hundred and twenty-five thousand
dollars, under the title of the Baker & Adamson
Chemical Company. Employment is furnished to
fifty men, and the products of the company, being
of the highest grade, are the standard in the



United States of chemically pure chemicals, and
find a ready sale not only on the market of the
new world but also in the old world.

George P. Adamson was married to Aliss
Elizabeth Abel, of Phillipsburg, New Jersey, and
they have a daughter, Dorothy. Mr. Adamson is
a member of the Pomfret Club, the Country Club,
the Chemists' Club of New York City, the Amer-
ican Chemical Society, the Society of Industrial
Chemistry, and the Electro-Chemical Society.

GEORGE RUSSELL KING, a capitalist of
Easton, represents one of the old families of New
Jersey. His grandfather, George King, was born
in Hope, that state, pursued his education there
and afterward learned and followed the trade of a
tinsmith, devoting his entire life to that industry.
He married and among his children was Theo-
dore F. King, whose birth occurred at the old
home place in New Jersey in 1847. He was in-
debted to the common-school system of his native
city for early educational privileges he enjoyed
and he continued his studies at Hackettstown,
New Jersey. In 1871 he came to Easton, and en-
tered upon the study of dentistry under the late
Dr. Sign. In 1879 he opened an office and began
practice alone, continuing a representative of the
profession in Easton up to the time of his death,
which occurred in October, 1903. He it was who
introduced the painless system of extracting teeth
in Easton. He held membership with various
social and fraternal organizations including the
Ivanhoe, the Jac'rrsonian Club, the Knights of the
Golden Eagle, the Royal Arcanum, the Ancient
Order of Heptasophs, and the Alasonic fraternity,
in which he attained the Knight Templar degree.
In politics he was a Democrat, and he served as a
member of the board of health for a number of
years, and also as a member of the school beard.
In 1879 he married Elizabeth Couge, of South
Easton. who died in 1892. They had two sons,
George R. and Jacob F., and the latter born in
1886, is now attending school.

George Russell King was educated in private
schools of Easton, and afterward assisted his
father in the conduct of various business enter-
prises and the supervision of investments. He



228



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



inherited the major part of his father's extensive
estate, and is now living a retired life. In his
home city he is popular, and his co-operation is
always given to any public cause that has for its
object the benefit and substantial improvement of
his city. He was married, in December, 1902, to
Miss Nellie Thume, a daughter of John F.
Thume, a merchant of Easton.

WILLIAM MARSH MICHLER, an archi-
tect of Easton, was born in that city March 21,
1868. For more than a century and a half the
familv has been established in the new world, the
progenitor in America being Bishop J. Wolf-
gang Michler, who was born October 25, 1720,
at Leuchtingen, Wertemberg, Germany, and emi-
grated to America in 1743, landing at Savanna!:,
Georgia. He proceeded thence to Salem, North
Carolina, being one of a company of Moravian
missionaries. In the same ship, John Wesley, the
father of Methodism in America, crossed the
Atlantic. Bishop Michler located among the In-
dians and began the work of teaching the gospel
according to the doctrines of his denomination He
afterward resided successively at Bethlehem, Naz-
areth and Labanon, Pennsylvania, his last days
being spent in Lebanon.

His son, Nathaniel Michler, was a resident of
Jacobsburg, Bushkill township, Northampton
county, Pennsylvania, during his early life, and
while there living was elected and served as jus-
tice of the peace. Subsequently he became a
teacher of Latin in Nazareth Hall, at Nazareth,
Pennsylvania, and later, by appointment of Gov-
ernor Snyder, filled the office of register of wills
and recorder of deeds for Northampton county.
He was also clerk of the orphans' court for many
years, and at one time was elected a member of
the electoral college. His son, Peter S. Michler,
the grandfather of William M. Michler, was born
in Pennsylvania, and through many years of his
business career was a merchant of Easton. He
also figured prominently in financial circles in that
city as president of the First National Bank
through a long period, was first president of the
Thomas Iron Company and was connected \\ith
'it for a long time. He was largelv instrumental



in developing the coal industry of the Copper Le-
high Valley, and his business affairs contributed
to the material improvement of his portion of the
state. His death occurred in Easton. His wife
was a descendant of John Hart, one of the signers
of the Declaration of Independence. They had
three sons who were soldiers in the Union army
during the Civil war, one becoming a general,
while a second was surgeon of a division, and the
youngest was captain of a cavalry company.

William Marsh Michler, who belonged to a
family of seven children, pursued his early educa-
tion in the public schools of Easton, and subse-
c|uently matriculated in the college of that city
taught by Professor Lerch, prior to entering
Lafayette College, in which he pursued a course
in civil engineering, being graduated from the
latter institution in 1893. He next entered the
architectural department of the University rf
Pennsylvania at Philadelphia, and completed a
four years course, receiving the degree of Bach-
elor of Science in Architecture, whereby he was
well qualified to enter upon the active work of the
profession, of which he is now a representative.
Immediately after his graduation he opened an
office in Easton, where he has since been engaged,
and among the notable buildings which he has
designed are the Drake Building, G. B. Linder-
man's residence, Alvin Markle's residence, S. R.
Bush's residence, and William J. Kubler's resi-
dence. Probably the most important structure in
Easton that stands as a monument to his profes-
sional skill is the beautiful home of Herman
Simons, which is perhaps the finest private resi-
dence in the state.

In his political views Mr. Michler is a Repub-
lican, and socially he is identified with several fra-
ternities, and with the Pomfret Club of Easton.
He and his family attend the services of the Epis-
copal church. In 1899 he was married to Miss
Matilda Runkle Bacon, a daughter of John Bacon,
of Easton, and they have three children, John
Francis, Emilie Bacon, and Margaret Henry.

NEWTON A. JOHNSON, of Easton, was
born Februarv 19, 1839, en the old family estate
in \'irginia. There lived his father, Samuel N.



i



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



229



Johnson, who spent his entire life in the Old
Dominion. He was educated there and became
a gentleman planter, having vast realty posses-
sions. He married a Miss Walker, of Mrginia,
and among their children was Newton A. John-
son, who in the public schools near his home, ac-
quired a knowledge of the elementary branches of
learning, and afterward became a student in a
school in Illinois.

Subsequently Newton A. Johnson attended
the State University of Indiana, and entered upcn
his business career as proprietor of a drug store
in Illinois, where he remained for nineteen vears.
On the expiration of that period he removed to
Texas, where he followed a similar pursuit for
four years. In 1882 he came to Easton, where he
established his present business — the manufacture
of the Knickerbocker brace. He is not the in-
ventor of the brace, but watched its development
and purchased the device from the inventor, had
it patented, and has since engaged in its manu-
facture. The business done by the company has
now reached extensive proportions, thousands of
braces being shipped annually to all parts of the
world. The brace has the endorsement of all the
leading physicians as being the most conducive
to the health of women and children, and the
sales of the house have reached a large annual
figure'. In the conduct of his enterprise Mr. John-
son has shown marked business ability and execu-
tive force, and his judgment is regarded as so
sound and reliable that his advice is often sought
by leading men of Easton. ]\Ir. Johnson gives
his political allegiance to the Democracy, and
socially is connected with the Pomfret Club of
Easton. He and his family attend the Presbyter-
ian church.

He was married in 1886 to Miss Julia A. Lit-
tle, a daughter of George B. Little, who is living
retired in Illinois. Their children are George S.
and Woodbridge O. Johnson. The latter mar-
ried a ]\Ir. Parker, and they have two children,
Ruth J. and Julia D.

HON. CHARLES BRODHEAD is a rep-
resentative of a family that has been distinguished
in connection with the colonization and improve-



ment of the western hemisphere from the time
of early settlement in the state of New York.
Later generations of the family became prominent
in the development of Pennsylvania, and Hon.
Charles Brodhead has borne a most active and
prominent part in the work of progress and the
upbuilding of the Lehigh valley so that his life
record forms an integral chapter in its history,
and no enumeration of the men who have con-
tributed to the welfare and advancement of the
state in the nineteenth century would be com-
plete without mention of his name and achieve-
ments.

Daniel Brodhead, the founder of the family in
America, was a captain in the English grenadiers,
and came to the new world in the reign of King
Cliarles II with the expedition of Colonel Rich-
ard Nicolls, which effected the capture of New
York (then called New Amsterdam) from the
Dutch, in 1664. The Dutch dependencies on the
Hudson river, including Esopus, Schenectady
and Fort Orange (now Albany), were also sur-
rendered to the British, and Captain Daniel Brod-
head was assigned with his company of grena-
diers to maintain peace and order at Esopus, witli
the title of "Captain-General of the Esopus", as
the Dutch inhabitants were then called. He mar-
ried Ann Tye, but it is not positively known
whether she accompanied him on the expedition'
to America, or whether she subsequently joined
him in Esopus. Among their several children were
three sons — Daniel, Charles and Richard. The
first named. Daniel, named for himself, was born
in 1 66 1, and died July 24, 1690. Charles, born in
1663, was probably named in honor of the King
of England, while Richard (born in 1666, died in
1758), was named for the commander of the ex-
pedition, and these names continue in the family
to the present.

Captain Brodliead. it appears, made his head-
quarters at ]\Iarbletown, a village near the Hud-
son, where he dispensed justice with a fair and
imparial hand to his Dutch neighbors as well as
his English followers. He died July 14, 1667.
His widow, who survived him for many years,
built in 1697 a residence for herself and children,
and it remained in possession of her descendants



230



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



tintil 1890. Owing to the long retention of the
property in the family a large number of deeds
and papers were treasured there, and were re-
cently secured by Lucas Brodhead, of Spring
Station, Kentucky, who has had many of them
copied and photographed and thus distributed
among the members of the family. Among other
papers was a pass given by the town authorities
of Marbletown, Ulster county. New York, to
Daniel Brodhead, a grandson of the founder of
the family, who was probably the first Brodhead
to visit Pennsylvania. The document reads as
follows :

"Ulster in the Province of New York.

Mattys Jansen, Major Johannes Hardenbergh
and Captain John Rutsen, Justices of the Peace
for the County of Ulster, assigned,

"To all to whom these presents shall come, or
may concern, greeting: Whereas, Daniel Brod-
head, son of Captain Charles Brodhead, hath a
purpose to Travell out of this Province of New
York into the Provinces of New Jersey and
Pennsylvania :

"These are to certifie that the said Daniel
Brodhead hath been known unto us from the time
of his nativity to this day, and during all the
sd time has held himselfe as a True and Faithful
Subject of our Sovereigne Lord King George and
his predecessors, and is of honest and good fame,
name, credit and reputation, and we desire he
may be greeted accordingly.

"Given under our hands and seals in Kingston,
this 1 2th day of September, in the fifth year of
His Majesty's reign Anno Domino, 1718.
(Signed) Mattys Jansen

J. Hardenbergh
John Rutsen."

Daniel Brodhead did not remain in Pennsyl-
vania, but his cousin Daniel Brodhead, son of
Richard Brodhead, a brother of Captain Charles
Brodhead, mentioned above, moved to Pennsyl-
vania about 1735, settling on what is now Brod-
head Creek, near Stroudsburg, in what was then
Bucks county, but is now a part of Monroe coun-
ty. He laid out a town about a mile square and
named it Dansbury, a station on the Delaware,
Lackawanna & Western Railroad. From him are
descended all the Brodheads of Pennsylvania.

The line of descent from the foimder of the



family came through Richard Brodhead and his
wife Alagdalena Jensen. He was born in i656.
and died in 1758, while his wife died in 1707.
Their only son Daniel, who established the family
m Pennsylvania, was born April 20, 1693. In
1726 he was a merchant in Albany, New York;
a licensed Indian trader in 1730; and in 1737 or
173S he removed to Pennsylvania, where he built
the town of Dansbury, and established a mill, and
also a Moravian church. He was commissioned
justice of the peace, September 25, 1747, and died
in Bethlehem, July 22, 1755. His wife was Hes-
ter Wyngart, and their children were : Thomas
Garten, who was born in 1723, and died at sea ;
Garrett Lucas, born in 1724; Richard B., in 1726;
Ann Garton, in 1727 ; Charles, September 7, 1729;
Garrett, January 21, 1733; Daniel, October 17,

1736: John : and Luke, in 1741. One

of the sons, Daniel by name, was colonel of the
Eighth Pennsylvania Regiment in the continental
army during the war of the Revolution, and at
its close, while colonel commanding the western-
department with headquarters at Pittsburg, by
special act of General Washington, and in the re-
organization of the Pennsylvania troops, about
1782, was made colonel of the First Pennsyl-
vania Regiment in the continental establishment.
He held several state offices, and when the new
organization was formed in 17S9 became the first
surveyor-general of Pennsylvania, which office
he held for many years and until his death at
Milford, Pike county, in 1809.

His brother, Garrett Brodhead, the great-
grandfather of Hon. Charles Brodhead, was also
an officer in the Revolutionary war. He was born
January 21, 1733, and became a lieutenant, do-
ing frontier service during the struggle for na-
tional independence. He was married March
15, 1759, to Jane Davis, and their children were:
John, born March 3, 1766; Daniel, Richard,
George, Elizabeth, born in 1775; Rachel, and
Samuel, born in 1779.

Richard Brodhead, born in 1771, married
Jane Drake, and they were the grandparents of
Hon. Charles Brodhead. Their children were :
.Sarah, born in 1791 : Garrett, in December, 1793;
William, in 1705 : Jane, in 1797; Albert Gallatin,



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



231



in 1799 ; Anna Maria, February 14, 1801 : Charles,
AngTist 4, 1805 ; Rachel, Eliza, Elizabeth, ami
Richard.

Albert Gallatin Brodhead, born in 1799, be-
came a merchant of Conyngham, Pennsylvania,
and in 1839 removed to Delaware, Pike county,
where he purchased the old Brodhead homestead.
He was ciuite prominent, and influential in public
affairs, and several times served in the state legis-
lature. He married Ellen Middaugh.

Hon. Charles Brodhead, only child of Albert
G. and Ellen Brodhead, was born at Conyngham,
Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, August 4, 1824,
and was reared until the age of fourteen in Dela-
ware, Pike county, acquiring his education in the
local schools. In 1838-39 he was a student in an
academic school at Stroudsburg, conducted by
Ira Burrell Newman. In the spring of 1840 he
went with Mr. Newman to a newly established
school at Dingman"s High Falls, Pike county,
and in November, 1840, entered the freshman
class of Lafayette College, at Fasten, Pennsyl-
vania, then under the direction of the Rev. Dr.
George Junkman. After his graduation from
college in 1844, he entered the law office of his
uncle, Richard Brodhead, then a member of con-
gress and afterward L^nited States senator from
Pennsylvania. During his student days Charles
Brodhead attended the law school estab'ished at
Philadelphia by David Hoffman, and was ad-
mitted to the bar at Easton, during the Novem-
ber term of court of 1846.

Shortly afterward, Mr. Brodhead became
sheriff's attorney, and acted in that capacity for
three years, but soon gave up the practice of law



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 41 of 92)