John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 42 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 42 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and engaged in the real estate business in Bethle-
hem. About that time the Lehigh Valley Rail-
road, in connection with the Central Railroad of
New Jersey, and the Northern Pennsylvania
Railroad were being built into Bethlehem. Both
had their lines located on the south side of the
Lehigh river at Bethlehem, and Mr. Brodhead in
1854 purchased one hundred acres of the Mora-
vian farm land on that side of the river, and laid
out what is now to a great extent South Bethle-
hem. He is one of the largest landowners in that
borough, and also owns considerable realty in



r)ethlehem, where among his other possessions he
has tlie well known Sun Inn, built in 1758. In
laying out South Bethlehem he made an effort,
with the co-operation of Jefferson Davis, then sec-
retary of war, and the Hon. Richard Brodhead,
United States senator from Pennsylvania, to
have a government foundry established in that
place. Though his efforts then proved futile, the
seed was sown, and to-day, extensive works for
the manufacture of war material for the govern-
ment, are in successful operation on the ground
reserved by Mr. Brodhead for the government
foundry in 1856, and which he subsequently sold
to the Bethlehem Steel Company. It was mainly
due to the efforts of Mr. Brodhead, and his'
active co-operation in the projects of Augustus
Wolle, that the Bethlehem Iron Company's -
works were located at South Bethlehem. The
facts, brieflv, are these : Mr. Wolle was and con-
tinued to be all his life one of the most active
and progressive men ever in business in the Beth-
lehems, and his particular talent was along the
line of an executive officer. He had leased what
was known as the Gangawara ore bed, in Saucon
township, and secured a charter for an organi-
zation called the Saucona Iron Company, for the
development of the Gangawara and other veins
of hematite ores. He urged ]\Ir. Brodhead to
join him in this project, but the latter suggested
that they unite forces and put up works in South
Bethlehem, as the extra cost of ore transporta- '
tion would be quite balanced by the less cost of
transportation of coal if stopped at Bethlehem.
The result was that Mr. Wolle, being himself a
large landowner in South Bethlehem, agreed
upon that place as the site for the new works.
Mr. Brodhead then drew a supplement to ]\Ir.
\\'olle's Saucona charter, which was subsequently
passed by the Pennsylvania legislature, authoriz-
ing the company to make and manufacture iron
ores and iron into any shape or condition, and
changing the name of the company to The Beth-
lehem Rolling ^lill and Iron Company. Mr.
Wolle was the first and largest subscriber to the
stock and was followed by others, and thus the
Bethlehem mills became an accomplished fact.
Mr. Brodhead was the first to suggest the



232



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



construction of the new steel bridge which, start-
ing in Bethlehem, in Northampton county,
crosses the canal and railroad of the Lehigh Coal
and Navigation Company, the Monocacy creek,
a section of Lehigh county, the Lehigh river,
many tracks of the Lehigh X'alley Railroad, and
terminates its eleven hundred feet of length in
South Bethlehem. The Broad street bridge,
which connects Bethlehem with West Bethlehem
was also one of Mr. Brodhead's conceptions, the
idea having first come to him when he was having
his engineers locate what was popularly known as
"Charley Brodhead's Huckleberry Railroad",
now the Lehigh & Lackawanna Railroad, leading
from Bethlehem to the great slate quarries in and
about Chapman, Wind Gap, Pen Argyl, and
Bangor, with a branch leading through the fam-
ous wind gap of the Blue Mountains and extend-
ing to Saylor's lake, in Monroe county. The ob-
jective point of the road is Stroudsburg, on the
Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad, a
connection with which will make the line a fav-
orite for summer tourists from Philadelphia to
the resorts at Delaware, Water Gap, Strouds-
burg, the Pocono mountains, Bushkill, Ding-
man's, High Falls, and Milford, on the upper
Delaware. This road was projected by Mr.
Brodhead, and pushed through by him with un-
tiring perseverance and pertinacity, he acting for
many years as president of the company. It is
now one of the leased lines of the Central Railroad
of New Jersey.

Mr. Brodhead has not only contributed in
large and important measures to the material de-
velopment and substantial building of the state,
but has also left the impress of his individuality
for good upon public life, thought and action. In
1873 li*-' was elected a member of the constitu-
tional convention of Pennsylvania, and was the
originator of several valuable provisions in that
instrument, notably the one providing for free
telegraph lines, and prohibiting the consolidation
of parallel or competing lines, by reason of which
the people of this state alone were thus protected
from the thraldom of a monster monopoly. He
also secured the enactment of the section which
prohibits all officers and employes of railroad



companies from being interested, directly or indi-
rectly, in the furnishing of supplies and material
for the corporations with which they are con-
nected, or being interested in transportation lines
or contracts for transportation. These provisions
have been highly beneficial to stockholders, who
before were often plundered by unscrupulous of-
ficers and employes. Mr. Brodhead likewise in-
troduced and secured the adoption of that section
of the state constitution which extended the
terms of county treasurers to three years and pro-
hibited their re-election, which has had a very
salutary effect upon municipal financiering. He
is a member of the board of trustees of Lehigh
University and has ever manifested a warm in-
terest in educational affairs.

Mr. Brodhead was married, June i, 1858, to
Miss Camilla M. Shimer, a daughter of General
Conrad Shimer, an extensive farmer, prominent
in military and political affairs in Northampton
county. The children of Charles and Camilla
Brodhead are as follows : Charles, who was born
July 26, 1859, and died May 18, i860 ; Kate Ellen,
who was born May 15, 1861, and is the wife ot
Warren E. Wilbur ; and Albert, born September
26, 1867.

J. DAVIS BRODHEAD, district attorney
and a most capable lawyer of South Bethlehem,
was born in Easton, Pennsylvania, January 12'
1 859.

He traces his ancestry back to Daniel Brod-
head, the progenitor of the family in the new
world. His history appears elsewhere in this
work.

Hon. Richard Brodhead, the father of J.
Davis Brodhead, was for many years one of the
most eminent men of this state. He was born in
Pike county, Pennsylvania, in 1810, and in his
youth went to Easton, where he prepared for the
legal profession, studying law with James M.
Porter as his preceptor. Admitted to the bar, he
devoted his attention exclusively to his profession
until the demands of public affairs increased to
such an extent as to require his entire time. In
1843 ^''c was elected upon the Democratic ticket
to represent in congress the eighth district, then'





-^^Aj2^y>?^<^ajy . j'



o_




._J^^^.^^'^-^^



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



233



known as "the Old Tenth Legion", and filled that
responsible position until 1849, ^h'-'s serving as a
member of the twenty-eighth, twenty-ninth and
thirtieth congresses. He was elected a member
of the L^nited States senate from Pennsylvania to
succeed Daniel Sturgeon, a Democrat, and served
from the ist of December, 185 1, until 1857. Dur-
that time he was a member of various important
committees, and also gained distinction as the
author of the bill creating the L^nited States court
of claims. He was one of the youngest members
of congress, but he possessed a statesmanlike
grasp of affairs, and his labors aided usefully in
shaping the governmental affairs during the
twelve years in which he took part in the deliber-
ations of the two law-making bodies of the nation.
It is to be remarked that a fellow-member of the
house of respresentatives w'as Jeft'erson Davis,
who became president of the Confederate States
of America, and whose niece became the wife of
Mr. Brodhead. This lady, whom he married in
1850, was Miss Mary Bradford, born near Vicks-
burg, Mississippi, a daughter .of David Bradford,
a wealthy planter. Of this marriage were born
two children — J. Davis, and Richard, the last
named having been an attorney in Easton, and
now located in New York City.

J. Davis Brodhead recieved his education in
Georgetown (D. C.) College, the Moravian
school in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Seaton
Hall, New Jersey, and in Yale College, where he
took a classical course covering two years. He
spent the years 1879 to 1881 in travel through the
United States, principally in the south. He pre-
pared for the profession of the law under Judge
John B. Storm, of Strasburg, ex-member of con-
gress, and was admitted to the bar in 1880, the
A-ear in which he attained his majority. He at
once entered upon practice in South Bethlehem,
in which he has since been actively engaged. He
served as district attorney from 1889 to 1893. and
■was borough solicitor for the long period of nine-
teen years. Aside from his profession he has had
varied business interests in Bethlehem, and vi-
cinity. He was one of the original incorporators
of the Easton Transit Company, has served as



president cf the Bethlehem Consolidated Water
Company from 1901 to the present time (1904J,
and is a director in several other corporations
contributing to the commercial and industrial
activity of the village and county. He is a stanch
Democrat in politics, and active in political af-
fairs. In 1892 he sat as a delegate in the Dem-
ocratic national convention which nominated
Grover Cleveland for his second presidential
term, and gave to that distinguished statesman a
hearty and effective support. He was alternate-
at-large to the Democrat national convention of
1904.

Mr. Brodhead married, in 1883, Miss Cecile
Harvier, a daughter of Calix and Cecile Harvier,
the ceremony being performed in New York, of
which city the br'de was a native. Two daughters
have been born of this union, Ethel and Leonie,
both in Bethlehem. The family home is situated
on Fountain Hill, South Bethlehem.

JEREMIAH F. WERNER, who is serving
his third term as notary public at Lansford, and
is one of the well known and much respected citi-
zens of that town, has for thirty-five years acted
as a justice of the peace, twenty-one years in Car-
bon county and fifteen years in Schuylkill. He
represents one of the old Pennsylvania families,
and was born in Berks county, this state, July 25,
1829. His father, Jacob Werner, was also born
in Pennsylvania, and was a well educated man of
his day. He successfully engaged in teaching in
the public school, and left the impress of his in-
dividuality for good upon the minds of his pupils.
He was also professor of vocal and instrumental
music, and his labors contributed in no small
measure to the intellectual and aesthetic develop-
ment of his community. He married Miss Sa-
loma Theresa Born, who was a native of England,
while he was of German lineage. They became
the parents of ten children, three of whom are
now livmg: Rev. Jacob L. Werner, who is a min-
ister cf the Evangelical church : Rebecca and
Jeremiah F.

The last named spent the first twelve years
of his life in the county of his nativity, and then



234



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



accompanied his parents on their removal to
Schnylki'l county, Pennsylvania, where he
learned the millwright's trade. In early manhood
he also engaged in teaching school, following
that through the winter months, while he devoted
his energies in the summer seasons to his trade.
Becoming a resident of Tamaqua, he was pro-
prietor of a drug store at that place, and was also
considered an expert dentist of that time. Many
lines of activity felt the stimulus of his energy
and enterprise, and contributed in large measure
to the commercial and industrial development of
his town. At Tamaqua he owned and operated a
planing mill, and was an extensive contractor and
builder. In 1872 he removed to Lansford, where
he now makes his home, and in this borough he
followed the business of pattern making for the
Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company for a num-
ber of years.

In the days of his early manhood Mr. Werner
was a member of a militia company, and has al-
ways felt a deep interest in military affairs. His
political allegiance was given to the Democracy
-in early life, but in i860 he endorsed the prin-
ciples of the Republican party and cast his bal-
lot for Abraham Lincoln. He has since affiliated
with this great national political organization, and
has been a recognized leader in its ranks in his
community. He has been honored with every
office in the township, and has also been a mem-
ber of the borough council, in which he served as
secretary. His political belief is indicated by his
membership in the Evangelical church, of which
he is local preacher. He has put forth earnest
and effective labor in behalf of the work of the
church, has co-operated in its various activities,
and has served as both steward and trustee of the
church, while in the Sunday school he was super-
intendent for seventeen years. His life has been
a busy and useful one, and his efforts have been
of marked value to his community along lines
of material, intellectual, social and moral develop-
ment.

In 1850 Mr. Werner was united in marriage to
Miss Amelia Heisler, of Lewistown, Pennsyl-
vania, who was born at that place on the 15th of
March, T831. Their children are Rebecca S.,



deceased : Jemima A., deceased ; John W., Lewis
A., Milton E., Sylvia, Andrew L., Elmer E.,
Jeremiah M., deceased; and Sarah A., deceased.

ROBERT PIEYSHA^I SAYRE, of South
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, has for many years
been prominently connected with railroad con-
struction and operation in the Lehigh valley. He
was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, Oc-
tober 13, 1824, and traces his ancestry back to
Thomas Sayre, who was a native of England,
and became the progenitor of the family in the
new world, and who built the first house at South-
ampton, Long Island, in 1648 ; this house is vet
standing. The representative of the family in
the second generation to Robert Heysham Sayre
was Joseph Sayre, who died in 1695. His son,
Daniel Sayre, married Elizabeth Lyon, and was a
farmer of Elizabethtown, New Jersey. John
Sayre, of the fourth generation, was born in
Elizabethtown, New Jersey. In 1735 he was a
tailor, owning and occupying a house and store at
No. 56 Broad street. New York city, in which
year he was admitted a freeman of that city. He
married (first) Esther. Stillwell, daughter of
Nicholas and Elizabeth Stillwell, and (second)
Rachel Le Chevalier, daughter of Jean Le Chev-
alier.

John Sayre, of the fifth generation, was bom
June 4, 1738, at 58 Broad street. New York, and
was educated at Kings (now Columbia) College,
in that city, and became a clergyman of the Epis-
copal church. He was married in Philadelpliia,.
September 25, 1758, to Mary Bowes, who was
born in Trenton, New Jersey, March 5, 1730, a
daughter of Erancis and Rachel (Chevalier)
Bowes.

Francis Bowes Sayre, of the sixth generation,
was born in Lancaster. F'ennsylvania, September
9, 1766, studied medicine in the University of
F'ennsylvania and received the degree of Doctor
of Medicine in 1790. He died in F'hiladelphia,
September 2, 1798, of yellow fever. He was mar-
ried April 9, 1792, to Ann Heysham, who was
liorn in Philadelphia, January 25, 1765. They
had three children : ^\'illiam Heysham, who was
born May 17, 179-I, and married Elizabeth Kent;




t




GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



235



John Cox. who was born August I. 1795. and
died August 23, 1801 ; and Mary Ehzabeth, who
was born October 2~, 1797, and died August 26,
1801.

\\'illiam Heysham Sayre. cf the seventh gen-
eration, the father of Robert Heysham Sayre, was
born in Bordentown. New Jersey, May 17, 1794.
His early hfe was spent in the mercantile business
under the firm name of Cook & Sayre, in Phila-
delphia. Later he removed to Columbia county,
same state, and in the year 1828 located in IMauch
Chunk. He .entered the services of the Lehigh
Coal and Navigation Company as boating clerk,
having charge of the accounts and the collection
of tolls due on boats navigating the canal. He re-
moved from Mauch Chunk to South Bethlehem
in 1862, and died there May 29, 1872. He was
one of the founders of St. Mark's church at
Mauch Chunk, and served as senior warden there
imtil 1862, when he removed to Bethlehem, where,
with seven others, the Church of the Nativity was
founded on ]\Iay 6, 1862. He was elected senior
warden, which position he held until his demise.
He was married, June 25, 1816, to Eliza Kent,
who was born in Boonton, New Jersey, Alay 17,
1796, and died January 10, 1849. They had
eleven children.

Alary Elizabeth (i) was born April 4, 1817.
was married June 24, 1841, to John P. Cox, and
they had five children : A\'alter E., who is married
and has five children ; John S., who is married
and has two children ; Mary, the wife of Colonel
H. B. McKean. by whom she has a son, John ;
Edith ; and Anna.

Ann Heysliam (2), born Alarch 4. 1820, died
March 2, 1821.

Francis Rudolphus (3), born October i, 1821.
is now a resident of ]\Iauch Chunk. He was
married October i, 185 1, to Harriet P. Woolley,
who died January 24, 1883. Their children are :
Kate Irwin, born June 23, 1852, died October 17,
1903 : Louise Foster, -who was born September
30, 1854, was married April 9, 1880, to Asa
Packer Blakeslee, who was born in Mauch Oiunk.
Pennsylvania. November 13, 1854: Charles
Eugene, bcrn September 20. 1856. married Oc-
tober 10. 1894. to Caroline Haner Brown, who



was born October 7. 1859; and Anna I'rances,
born November 9, 1859.

Robert Heysham (4) attended the public
schools at Mauch Chunk, and then entered an
engineer corps of the Lehigh Coal Naviga-
tion Company. Early in the year 1841 he en-
gaged on the repairs of the canal, which had been
partiall}' destroyed by a freshet in the Lehigh
river. He was afterward under the direction of
Edwin A. Douglas, chief engineer, and was en-
gaged in the engineering department in charge
of the canals, railroads and of the building of the
incline planes and gravity read, known as the
Switchback Railroad, between Mauch Chunk and
Summit Hill. He was appointed chief engineer
of the Lehigh \'alley Railroad in the spring of
1852, and after the completion of the road be-
tween Mauch Chunk and Easton, in 1855, was
appointed general superintendent as well, and re-
mained in that service until 1882, when he was
elected president and chief engineer of the South
Pennsylvania Railroad. When work on that en-
terprise was suspended he returned to the Lehigh
A'alley Railroad Company, and was elected sec-
ond vice-president, in which capacity he was
charged with the care of its transportation
lines and engineering. He was also elected the
vice-president and general manager of the Bethle-
hem Iron Company. He was named in the will
of Asa Packer as one of the five trustees to man-
age the estate, and he and his brother ^^"illiam
were appointed original trustees of the Lehigh
University, in 1865, and St. Luke's Hospital,
located at South Bethlehem. To this hospital he
has recently added a men's ward at the cost of
twenty-seven thousand dollars. He is and has
been a member of the E. P. ^^"ilbur Trust Com-
pany since its organization. He is a director of
the Valley Coal and Coke Company, and owner
of coal lands in West Virginia and Alabama. He
is president of the Sayre Mining and Manufac-
turing Company in Alabama, president of the
Little ^^'arrior Coal and Coke Company in Ala-
bama, and director of the Wilbur Coal and Coke
Company of \\"est \^irginia, and of the Virginia
Coal and Coke Company in A'irginia. He built his
present residence on Fountain Hill in 1858, and



236



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



the library, which now contains 10,000 vokimes,
was added to it in 1899. He is a charter member
of the Church of the ' Nativity, was one of the
original vestrymen, and is now rector's warden.

Robert H. Sayre was married. April 15, 1845,
to Mary Evelyn Smith, who died May 31. 1869.
There were nine children by that marriage: i.
Charles White, born June 23, 1846, died April
10, 1848; 2. Mary Eliza, born February 3, 1849,
was married June 10. 1873, to Professor William
H. Chandler, Professor of Chemistry in the Le-
high University, and their children are — Robert
Sayre, who died in infancy ; Evelyn, who was
born July 6, 1876, and was married October 22,
1903, to Ralph R. Hillman: and Sarah Whitney,
bcrn September 27, 1877. 3. Anna Catherine,
born December 18, 1850, died August 12. 1852.
4. Robert Heysham, Jr., born January 5, 1853,
was married December 28, 1880, to Harriet Eliza-
beth Hillard, of South Bethlehem, and died at
Thomasville, Georgia, February 11, 1904, and
they have a son, Robert Heyshan, 3rd. 5. Eliza-
beth Kent, born December i, 1854, was married
June I, 1876, to Albert Newton Cleaver of South
Bethlehem. 6. Jennie Weston, born October 2,
1857, was married October 15, 1879, to James
Fitz-Randolph, who died at W'atkins, New York,
November 19. 1900. They had three children —
Theodore, Elizabeth, who was married Decem-
ber 19, 1903. to Robert H. Ballard, and Robert
Sayre Fitz-Randolph. 7. Francis Rodolphus,
born September 2"], 1859. died March 3, 1864. 8.
Ellen May, born January 24, 1862, died March
24, 1864. 9. Ruth May, born May 14, 1864, was
married October 15, 1884, to Robert Packer
Linderman, a grandson of Asa Packer. Mr.
Linderman died January 21, 1903. Their chil-
dren are: Ruth Evelyn, born August 23, 1885;
Mary Evelyn, July 15, 1889: Lucy Evelyn, Oc-
tober 9, 1892; Evelyn, September 27, 1893;
Christine, June 17, 1895; and Robert Packer,
May 29, 1898.

Robert H. Sayre's second marriage. Janu-
ary 12, 1871, was to Mary Bradford, widow of
Senator Brodhead, of Pennsylvania, and niece of
Hon. Jefferson Davis, of Mississippi. She was
born in Mississippi, .\ugust 15, 1825, and died



April 23, 1877. Mr. Sayre's third wife, whom
he married April 15, 1879, was Helen Augusta
Packer, widow of RoUin H. Rathbun. and a
daughter of Robert W. Packer. She was born in
Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania, and died June 10,
1880. On the 3rd of May, 1882, Mr. Sayre mar-
ried IMartha Finley Nevin, daughter of the Rev.
John W^ Nevin, and a native of Mercersburg,
Pennsylvania, born December 6, 1845. There
were three children by this union : John Nevin,
born February 4, 1884; Francis Bowes, April 30.
1885; and Cecil Nevin, August 15, 1886, and
died August 2, 1887.

Elizabeth Kent (5), born September 17, 1826,
was married September 17, 1846, to William
Reed, and died January 15, 1863. She had three
children : William Samuel Reed, born in July.
1847, died in 1848; Elizabeth Kent Reed, born
January 7, 1849, was married November 17, 1870,
and is the wife of Harvey S. Kitchel, by whom
she had seven children — Robert Reed, born Sep-
tember 7, 1871 : Anna Sheldon, August 23, 1873;
Harvey Denison, who was born October 10, 1877,
and died April 2, 1878 ; William Sayre, born
March 4, 1879, deceaed ; Harriet Tyrrell, April
16, 1883; Margaret Sheaffe, October 28, 1885';
and Gladys, who was born November 9, 1888,
and died January 28, 1890. Samuel Augustus
Reed, born August i, 1850. Henry Lyman Reed,
born September 5, 1851, was married October 14,
1875, to Elizabeth S. McLean, and has one child,
Jane, born September 5, 1876, and now the wife
of Louis C. Evans.

Julia Linn Sayre (6) was born May 11, 1829,
and dieti October 12, 1830.

William Fleysham Sayre (7) was born ?ilarch
3, 183 1, and resides in South Bethlehem. He
has been connected with the Lehigh Valley Rail-
road since 1852, and is the second vice-president
of the Lehigh Valley Coal Company, having
charge of all of its sale of coal. He is the senior
warden of the Church of the Nativity, succeeding
his father, and from 1862 up to the present time
( 1904) has served in the capacity of superintend-
ent of the Sunday School connected with the
same. He was married, June 17. 1858, to Eliza-
beth Mitchell Brooks, who died January 6, 1897.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



237



His children are three in number : Ellen, born
March 23, 1859, died December 20, i860; Clara
Brooks, born May 21, 1862; and William Hey-
sham, Jr., born September 17, 1865, married



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 42 of 92)