John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 44 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 44 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


two sections of the coinitry Mr. Kemerer became
associated with H. B. Claflin & Company, of New
York, as general salesman, remaining with that
firm for twelve years. His death occurred Feb-
ruary 20, 1889. To him and his wife, Mary
(Bachman) Kemerer, were born three children.
Sarah, the eldest, born in 1838, died December 16,
1888; she married William Kohler, and their
children were Jennie, Howard, William and
Sally. Albert Kemerer, the third member of the
family of Benjamin Kemerer, was born in 1848,
and died June 10, 1895. His wife bore the maiden
name of Aravesta Schwitzer.

Jacob B. Kemerer, the second of the family,
acquired his education in the public schools of
Philadelphia, and then entered mercantile life,
but not finding that vocation congenial he began
reading law in the office of Flon. U. J. Wcnner, of
Bethlehem, and in 1876 was admitted to the liar
of Northampton county. Not long after this he
became an active factor in political circles, his
close study of the questions and issues of the
day, combined with his loyal interest in the wel-



J



GENEALOGICAL AXD PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



243



fare of the county, state and nation, well fitting
him for leadership. He held various local offices,
including those of chief burgess and member of
the council, acting in the former capacity in Beth-
lehem for four terms, although a Democratic can-
didate in a Republican district. In 1898 he was a
candidate fcr state senator, to which position he
was triumphantly elected, running far ahead of
his ticket in his home cit\, and carrying the dis-
trict by a large majority, a fact which indicated
his personal popularit}' among the people by
whom he was best known, as well as the confi-
dence resposed in his ability to faithfully repre-
sent the interests of his section cf the state. He
was a solicitor to the borough of Bethlehem for
one year and then declined a re-election. He
served for two years as chairman of the Demo-
cratic county central committee of Northampton
county, and for years was a delegate to nearly all
the county and state conventions. On the 24th
of March, 1899, he was unanimously re-elected
chairman of the Northampton county Democratic
committee and a delegate to the Democratic con-
vention, and was ex-officio a member of the Dem-
ocratic state central committee. In 18B7 he
formed a partnership with Clarence A. W'olle in
the real-estate and fire-insurance business, which
was continued until 1899.

Mr. Kemerer was married, in 1866. to
Amanda J. Seem, a daughter of Joseph and Le-
vina 'SI. (Dech) Seem. Her father was born in
Allen township, Northampton county. June 2,
1817, and died July 24, 1893, in Bethlehem. His
parents were Conrad and Katherine (Schwatze)
Seem, and his grandfather was George Seem,
who came from Europe with a brother and settled
in Kreidersville, Northampton county, Pennsyl-
vania. Conrad and Katherine Seem has thirteen
children: i. Conrad, who married Annie Dech;
2. Joseph, who married Lavine Dech : 3. Samuel
who married (first") Mary Burger, (second)
Fretta Klecker, and (third) ]Mary Rube: 4.
John, who married Eliza Bowman : 5. David, who
wedded Sarah Sieger, and afterward ^lary Gier-
ing : 6. Reuben, who died in infanc\' : 7. Polly,
the wife of Abraham Rahn : 8. Judith, who mar-
ried John Trumbauer ; 9. Lucy, wife of Joseph



Heinly ; 10. Leah, wife of Jacob Newhart ; 11.
Mary, the wife of James Tool : 12. Elizabeth, wife
of William Klippinger; 13. Katherine, who died
in childhood.

Mr. and Mrs. Kemerer were the parents of
one son, Albert G., who was born JMarch 14,
1867, and married Annie S. Grim, a daughter of
Jacob L. Grim. They also have a son, Jacob
Grim, born July 31, 1897.

GEORGE WILLIAM RHOAD, superin-
tendent of a mercantile enterprise owned by a
stock company at South Bethlehem and at a
former period proprietor of this establishment,
was born near Bath, Northampton county, Penn-
sylvania September 3, 1841, his parents being
Stephen and Lucinda (Schmidt) Rhoad. His
paternal grandfather was John Rhoad. The
father was born at Santes Mill near Bethlehem,
Pennsylvania, in 1810, and died in 1889. By his
marriage to Lucinda Schmidt, he had twelve chil-
dren : Amanda, Charles, John, Elizabeth, Tilgh-
man, George William, Lucy, Rebecca, Mary,
Robert D.. Stephen A. and Harriet. Of these
Amanda Rhoad married James Young and had
two sons, Robert and Allen : Charles Rhoad mar-
ried Elizabeth Bower and had three children,
Lucy, who married A. L. Cope, and Alice and
Herbert, who are deceased : John married
Amanda Seibold and had a family; Tilghman
married Anna jNIichel ; Lucy married Allen R.
Schall and had three children, William, Frank
Catharine ; Rebecca married Edward Hess ; ]\Iary
married Samuel Danner and has had four chil-
dren, Harry, Wesley, Minnie and Lillian;
Stephen A. Rhoad married Ellen Funk and has
had a family ; Harriet married Oliver A. Clewell.

George \\'. Rhoad, the sixth member of the
familv of Stephen and Lucinda Rhoad, was reared
at Bath. Pennsylvania, and pursued his education
in the public schools there. He entered upon his
business career at the age of eighteen years, be-
coming proprietor of a small store in his native
town. During the Civil war he enlisted in the
L'nion Army and served for nine months in the
One Hundred and Fifty-third Pennsylvania In-
fantry, being attached to the Army cf the Po-



244



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



tomac. This regiment took part in the great battle
of Gettysburg, out of which he came unscathed.
After the expiration of his term of service he
settled in Bath, where he was engaged in busi-
ness for a year. He then re-enlisted, becoming a
member of the One Hundred and Ninety-ninth
Pennsylvania Regiment, with which he continued
for a year.

After being honorably discharged a second
time. ^Ir. Rhoad went to South Bethlehem, where
he opened a grocery store on Birch street. In 1867
he increased his stock and opened a general store
at Birch and 'Third streets, and in 1883 he pur-
chased the store of the Bethlehem Iron Company,
conducting that enterprise until 1892, when a
stock company was formed and since then he has
been superintendent of the establishment. He is
likewise president of the Mineral Spring Ice
Company, and of the South Bethlehem Piuilding
and Loan Company. He is the president of the
Commercial League of South Bethlehem, and is
commander of J. K. Taylor Post, G. A. R. He
belongs to the Church of the Nativity, and is in-
terested in the material, social and intellectual as
well as moral development of his city, and has
given active co-operation to many movements in
its behalf.

Mr. Rhoad married Uctober 20, 1891, Olivia
M. Fcelker, a daughter of Rev. A. C. and Mary
Catherine (Orth) Foelker, the latter of Hugue-
not descent. Mr. Rhoad has one son, Kemieth
Andrew.

REV. AUGUSTUS SCHULTZE, D. D., L,
H. D., who for a third of century has been a pro-
fessor and since 1885 president of the Moravian
College and Theological Seminary at Bethlehem,
Pennsylvania, is a leader in educational circles in
the Lehigh Valley. He was born in Nowawes,
Brandenburg, Germany, February 3, 1840, a son
of C. Louis and D. Frederica ( Haeseler ) Schultze.
His father, C. Louis Schultze, was born Novem-
ber 4, 181 1, owned a farm and a store, and for a
number of years served as steward of the Mor-
avian church and the Boys' Academy at Gnad-
enherg, Silesia : he died in Bethlehem, Pennsyl-
vania, in 1887, aged seventy-six years, and the



death of his wife occurred in the same place, in
1872, at the age of fifty-seven years. Rev. Au-
gustus Schultze is a descendant of a family of
farmers who owned the same estate for two
centuries on the banks of the Havel, between
Berlin and Potsdam, Germany.

Rev. Augustus Schultze was reared in Ger-
many and received his early education in the Mor-
avian schools of that country. In 1858 he was a
graduate of the Moravian College at Niesky,
Germany, and in 1861 he completed the course of
the Theological Seminary, at Gnadenfeld, Silesia.
He obtained the degree of D. D. from Lafayette
College, and that of L. H. D. from the Columbian
LTniversity in Washington. From 1861 to 1862
he was an instructor in the French Academy in
Lausanne, Switzerland, and from 1862 to 1870 a
professor of the classic languages and of history
in the Moravian College at Niesky. He then ac-
cepted a call to become a professor of theology
and of classic literature in the Moravian College
and Theological Seminary at Bethlehem, Pennsyl-
vania, and since 1883 has served in the capacity
of president. The Moravian Theological Semi-
nary has been in existence for nearly a century.
The project for the establishment of such an in-
stitution was first discussed at a conference of
Moravian ministers which convened in Bethle-
hem, Pennsylvania, during the month of October,
1802, but the actual execution of the plan was de-
ferred until the arrival of Charles de Forrestier
and Christian Renatus Verbeek, who were com-
missioned by the governing Board of the Mora-
vian Lenity to make a visitation in 1S06. On Oc-
tober 3, 1807, they inducted Ernest L. Ha/.elius
and John C. Bechler as professors in the new
Theological Seminary which was organized in
connection with the church school for boys at
Nazareth, Pennsylvania, known as "Nazareth
Hall". There the seminary remained until 1838,
when various reasons of expedinecy induced its
removal to Bethlehem, and a regular fr-ur years'
college course preparatory to the study of theol-
ogy was arranged. In 185 1 it was again trans-
ferred to Nazareth, and conlinued there until
1858. In that year, however, the Provincial
Synod ordered the final removal of the seminary



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



245



and its preparatory classical department to Beth-
lehem, and ordered it to be known as "The Mor-
avian College and Theological Seminary". On
April 3, 1863, the institution was incorporated
under this title by an act of the legislature ot
Pennsylvania, whereby the acting board of trus-
tees was at the same time invested with the legal
rights belonging to such bodies. In 1867 the Rt.
Rev. Edmund de Schweinitz, S. T. D., became
president, and during his incumbency the curri-
culum in the collegiate as well as in the theolog-
ical department was considerably enlarged in its
scope. Under the regime of Dr. Augustus
Schultze the courses of study provided have un-
dergone various modifications and additions so as
to bring them into line with the highest and broad-
est requirements of a liberal education. A new
grcup of college buildings has been erected, and
the endowment of the institution has been more
than doubled.

Dr. Schultze is a gentleman of scholarlv at-
tainments, and he has left the impress of his per-
sonality upon the mental and social development
of the many students who have been under his in-
stuction and care, and his influence in behalf of
morality has also been effective and far-reaching.
He served as one of the three members of the
governing board of the iMoravian Church in
America from 1881 to 1893. was many years edi-
tor of Dcr Bnidcr Botschaftcr, compiled the new
Liturgy and Hymns of the German Moravian
Hymn Book, and wrote the English and German
catechisms now in use in the Moravian church.
He is the author of a "History cf the Widows'
Society of Bethlehem", 1880; "Aarlig Dagbog"
(the first Moravian textboox in the Danish lan-
guage), 1888; "Die Missionsfelder der Erneuer-
ten Bruderkirche," 1890 : Grammar and \'ocab-
ulary of the Eskimo Language of Ncrth Western
Alaska", 1894: "The Theology of Peter and
Paul," 1896 ; "Guide to the Old Moravian Ceme-
tery at Bethlehem," 1898; "The Books of the
Bible Analyzed," 1902.

Rev. Augustus Schultze was married to Julia
Reck, who was born in 1853 and died in 1874.
He had cne son by that marriage, ^^'illiam A.
Reck, who was born ^Nlarch 29. 1873, and was



educated in Moravian schools, taking the classical
course in the iMoravian College in Bethlehem, and
a law course in the University of Pennsylvania.
He is now practicing his chosen profession in the
city of Philadelphia. Rev. Dr. Schultze married
in 1876, for his second wife, Adelaide Peter, of
Gnadenhutten, Ohio, who was born in 1849, 3"<i
prior to her marriage was a teacher in the semi-
nary at Hope, Indiana. The children of this
marriage are as follows : Clara, born in 1877, was
educated in Wellesley College, where she pursued
a classical course ; later she became a teacher o'f
modern languages in the Elizabeth College, at
Charlotte, North Carolina ; she became the wife of
Herbert Wright, a civil engineer, who is a grad-
uate of Lehigh University, and they are now liv-
ing in Phoeni.xville, Chester county. Pennsyl-
vania. Frederick, born in 1879, is a graduate of
the Moravian College at Bethlehem, in which
he completed the classical course : he was first
engaged as a mechanical engineer in Cleveland,
Ohio, and later followed the same occupation in
St. Louis^ Missouri. Emily, born in 1881, is as-
sociated with her sister, Agnes W., born in 1883,
in the conduct of a private school at Catasaqua,
Pennsylvania.

CHARLES P. HOFFiMAN, actively con-
nected with mercantile circles in South Bethle-
hem, was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania,
August II, 1855.

A student cf the early history of this state will
find that the family name is upon the records of
the early settlers of Philadelphia. Michael Hoff-
man, a resident of that city, emigrated from Ger-
nianv and established his home in Philadelphia
on the nth of October, 1732. Subsequently he
removed to a farming district, settling in the lo-
cality which afterward became Whitehill. in Le-
high county. He located on a tract of land of
two hundred and fifty acres bordering Indian or
Coplay creek, securing the land warrants on the
i6th cf November. 1744. Michael Hoffman mar-
ried and had two children, John and Michael. The
elder of these married and had four children,
Peter, Joel. Caroline, the wife cf Henry Guth ;
and Lydia, the wife of Joseph Long. The chil-



246



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



dren of Peter Hoffman were five in number, of
whom a daughter died in infancy. Of the others,
EH was married to a Miss Troxel, and afterward
to a Miss Guth, by whom he had a family. James
W., the second, was the father of Charles F'. Hoff-
man. Solomon was the third in order of birth.
Amelia, the only daughter who reached woman-
hood, became the wife of a Mr. Helfrich. and their
children were Daniel, who married a Miss Hoff-
man ; James, deceased ; and Dr. Helfrich, who is
married, and is practicing medicine in New York
city.

James W. Hoffman was born in South White-
hall, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, about 1812,
and became a well known agriculturist, conduct-
ing an extensive farm in connection with his
brother, Eli Hoffman. He married Amanda
Goebel and their only child is Charles P. Hoffman.

Although born in Berks county, Pennsylvania,
Charles P. Hoffman was reared in Lehigh county,
where he acquired a common school education.
He began an independent business career at the
age of twenty-one years in a general store at
East Texas in Lehigh county. In 1878 he was
appointed postmaster of that town, and occupied
the position until he removed to Hanoverville in
1883. There he conducted a general store for
four months, when he became a resident of South
Bethlehem, and established a general mercantile
enterprise at the corner of Third and Birch
streets. He has since been identified in this man-
ner with the business interests of the town, and
his trade nas constantly grown in extent and im-
portance, until it is one of the largest in the place,
employing eleven clerks. This large enterprise
is entirely the fruit of his own efforts, he having
come to the town an entire stranger. He has been
active in various important enterprises. He was
one of the organizers of the Pennsylvania Coal
Mining Company, and of the South Bethlehem
Electric Light Company, and is president of the
last named ; and has long been interested in the
slate business, having been founder of the Her-
cules establishment. He is a director of the South
Bethlehem National Bank. He is quite prom-
inent locally in various fraternal circles, and in
Masonry has attained to the thirty-second de-



gree. He belongs to Bethlehem Lodge, No. 283,
F. and A. M., to Caldwell Sovereign Consistory,
and likewise to Rajah Temple of the Mystic
Shrine. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum,
and the Imperial Order of Heptasophs.

Mr. Hoffman was married to Miss Laura M.
Shankweiler, and their children are Elmer, born
January i, 1881, Sadie, Helen and Mabel.

J. SAMUEL KRAUSE, who is a represen-
tative of business interests of Bethlehem, where
he is engaged in conducting a hardware store, was
born February 22, 1848, in the city which is yet
his home. The founder of the family in America
was John Samuel Krause, who was born at Chris-
tiansbrunn, Northampton county, Pennsylvania,
in 1782, and was a son of Matthew. In 1796 he
took up his residence in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania,
and became a watchmaker and silversmith. His
death occurred in 1815. He had married Maria
Louisa Schropp, who was born in 1814.

Matthew Krause, the father of J. Samuel
Krause, was born in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in
August, 1814, and became a prominent dry-goods
merchant of his native city. He carried on an ex-
tensive and profitable business, and was num-
bered among the leading representatives of trade
interests there. He was also influential in move-
ments pertaining to the moral development of his
community, and held the office of treasurer of
the Moravian congregation and of the Society for
the Propagation of the Gospel. His education
was acquired in the Moravian school, and from
his bovhood days his efforts were efTective in pro-
moting the cause of his denomination. He mar-
ried Adeline Eggert, who was born July 23, 1821,
and was a daughter of Benjamin and Maria Eliza-
beth (Freytag) Eggert. Matthew Krause de-
parted this life November 20, 1865, and his wife
June 13, 1867. They had but two children:
Mary Elizabeth, born April 4, 1844, and J. Sam-
uel. The former became the wife of Granville
Henry, and had one daughter, Mary .Adeline.

J. Samuel Krause was reared in Bethlehem,
and his educational privileges were those af-
forded by the parochial school of the IMoravian
church. He started out in business life at an



GENEALOGICAL ' AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



247



early age, and has since been dependent upon His
own resources for all that he has possessed and
enjoyed. He became a partner in the hardware
business with Owen A. Luckenbach, wdicm he
finally succeeded in 1889. He is a director of the
First National Bank of Bethlehem, and of the
Thomas Iron Company. In church work he is
quite prominent, and is a member of the board of
trustees of the Moravian congregation at Beth-
lehem, and is manager of the Society for the
Propagation of the Gospel. He is likewise a
member of the Widow's Society, an insurance
organization which is founded and conducted by
the Moravian church for the benefit of the widows
in that denomination. His political allegiance is
given to the Republican party, but the honors and
emoluments -of office have had no attraction for
him.

J. Samuel Krause was married to Miss Fran-
ces Luckenbach, a daughter of William and Eliza-
beth (Rice) Luckenbach. Their children are Ade-
line, Eliza, who is the wife of Francis Hammann,
and has three children : Elizabeth Olivia, John
Samuel Krause and Henry Pliilip ; Margaret, the
wife of Henry P. ^Morris, by whom she had a
son, John Samuel ; Matthew, who died in in-
fancy ; and Helen Louise, who is the wife of
Fred McCain.

HENRY H. DASH was born December 30,
1834, at Hellertown, Pennsylvania, and died in
Bethlehem, October i, 1902. He was a son of
Henry and Margaret (Heisler) Dash. The father
was born in Millerstown, Lehigh county, and was
reared and educated there, afterward following
the trades of a butcher, drover and tanner. He
also conducted a hotel for a time, and he reared
his family in ]\Iillerstown. His children were ten
in number. Daniel, married Antoinette Clemen-
tine Bishop, and their children are Orlando, Am-
brose, William, Edward, Eugene, deceased, and
Harrison. Maria Dash, the second member of
the family, is the wife of James Behm, and they
have nine children — Wilson, Lucy, Henry, Will-
iam, James, Peter, Ellen' George and Allen.
Susan, the third child, born in Saucon, is the
wife of Joseph Landis, and their children are



Henry, Emma, Alice, Susan Hannah, David, and
\\'illiam. Caleb, born in Saucon, married and his
children are \'ictor, Caroline, William, Edward,
Dolly, Lillian and Walter, the last named now de-
ceased. Eliza never married. Aaron, born in
Saucon, married and his chiklren are Martha,
George, Rose, Anna, Clara and Kate. Diana,
born in Saucon, now deceased, married Martin
Leidic, and has four children, Anna, Henry, Ca-
junta and Elizabeth. Owen, born in Saucon and
now deceased, married Elizabeth Morgul, and
had a son, Henry, born October 24, 1 851. Henry,
born December 30, 1834, married Annie E. James
and had two children, William and Laura, the
former now deceased.

Henry H. Dash spent his youth in Hellertown,
and acquired his education in its public schools.
He afterward went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,
where he learned the tanner's trade. He later en-
gaged in the restaurant business on Second street,
and still later in the hotel business on Ninth street.
At the time of the Civil war he enlisted in re-
sponse to the call of Governor Curtin, on the loth
of September, 1862, and was one of the volun-
teers who repelled the invasion of the Confederate
troops into Maryland and Pennsylvania. He was
a member of Company H, Eighth Regiment of the
Pennsylvania State ^Militia, under Colonel Day,
and participated in the defense of Antietam,
where he was stationed for seven weeks. \\'hen
the regiment was discharged he returned to his
business interests in Philadelphia.

During his business career in Philadelphia he
prospered. In 1872 he located in Bethlehem, and
purchased a cigar business which he conducted to
the time of his death. \\'hilc living in Bethlehem
he became the owner of much valuable property.
He was a director of the First National Bank, be-
ing thus identified with the institution for a num-
ber of vears ; also a director of the Citizens' Jlu-
tual Fire Insurance Company, a director of the
Times Publishing Company, and for a number of
years treasurer of the Driving Association. In
politics he was. a stanch Republican, unfaltering
in his support of the party and its principles. He
was a member of the ]\Iasonic fraternity.

Henry H. Dash was married to Ann James,



248



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



who was born October 12, 1840, a daughter of
John T. and Mary Ann (Howell) James, the mar-
riage ceremony being performed by Rev. G. A.
Wenzel. on the 19th of July, 1863. Mr. and Mrs.
Dash were the parents of two children : William
M. S., who was born July 10, 1864, and died
August 21, 1884; and Laura V., who was born
December 7, 1865, and married Frank Klinker, of
Bethlehem.

EDWIN F. WARNER is one of the progres-
sive business men of Weatherly, whose furniture
and undertaking establishment is a leading factor
in commercial circles of that borough. He was
born in Tannersville, Monroe county, Pennsyl-
vania, January 11, 1857. For more than a cen-
tury his ancestral history has been interwoven
with that of the state. His paternal grandfather,
George Warner, was born in Northampton county
in 1790, and was a cooper by trade. He served
as a surgeon in the war of 1812, and it is very
probable that research in the the Revolutionary
war records would reveal the fact that the family
was represented in the struggle for independence.
George Warner married Miss Elizabeth Angle-
moyer, who was of German lineage, and they
were members of the Lutheran church in good
standing.

Peter Warner, the father of Edwin F. War-
ner, was born in Pocono township, Monroe coun-
ty, Pennsylvania, December 25, 1835, and in early
life learned the carpenter's trade. Later he be-
came familiar with the cabinet-maker's trade, and
followed the dual pursuit for a number of years.
Subsequently he turned his attention to contract-
ing and building, and many of the houses which
he erected stand today as monuments to his labor
and genius. In 1872 he took up the undertaking
business, which he has followed success-
fully up to the present time. He is yet num-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 44 of 92)