John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 46 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 46 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cy Bryan, and their children were Elizabeth, the
wife of Moses Ohl ; Hannah, the wife of David
Reifif ; and Amanda, the wife of Andrew Shelly.
The youngest member of the family cf John and
Elizabeth Seiple was named Silas.

George Seiple was born in 1811, and became a
stonemason by trade. He followed that pursuit
for a number of years, and subsequently turned
his attention to the business of weaving carpets.
His death occurred in May, 1857. He mar-
ried Caroline Frankenfield, and they had ten
children, six of whom came to maturity — John,
Addison, Manassas, William, Isburn, and Ellen.
Of these, Addison Seiple wedded Mary Benner,
by whom he had four children : Ellsworth, who
married a Miss Wooding; Amanda, the wife of
David Funk ; Ida, the wife of Harvey Ritter ; and
Frank, .who married Anna Brader. For his sec-
ond wife Addison Seiple chose a Miss Althaus.
IVIanassas married a Miss Hannah Bitting, and
their children were Elmanda, the wife of Richard
Breich ; Cora E., and Harvey S. William Seiple
married Amanda Hut, and to them were born
four children : George H., who married a ]\Iiss
Becker, and since her death has married a second
time ; Caroline ; Samuel G. ; and Ada. Isburn
Seiple married Hattie Null and they became the
parents of five children : Herbert, Belva, Ella,
Joseph and Elsie. Ellen is the wife of Thomas
Jones, and the mother of two children. Royal and
Warren Jones.

John Seiple spent his early boyhood days in
HiUtown township, Bucks county, Pennsylvania,
and is indebted to the common-school system for
the educational privileges he enjoyed. At the age
of fourteen years he accompanied his parents on
their removal to Bethlehem, but soon afterward
returned to HiUtown, where he learned the ma-
son's trade, remaining there until 1864. In that



year he came to Bethlehem to reside permanently,
and for a number of years was identified with
building interests here, his business activity con-
tributing to the improvement of the city as well
as to his own success. He is now living retired
from business, having accumulated a handsome
competence. His prosperity has resulted entirely
from his own well directed labor, keen business
sagacity and honorable business methods, and he
has justly won the proud American title of a self-
made man. He served on the Bethlehem police
force for five years and afterward for a quarter
of a century was a private officer for the Business
Men's Association on Main street. In politics he
is a Democrat and in religious affiliation an active
member of the Salem Lutheran church on High
street, in which he has held the office of elder for
many years. He is now one of the trustees of the
church fund.

John Seiple was married, January 4, 1863, to
Miss Amanda Bitting, who was born October 9,
1841, in HiUtown, Bucks county, Pennsylvania,
a daughter of Simon S. and Mary (Beringer)
Bitting. Her father died January 2, 1902, at the
age of eighty-seven years, and her mother died
January 11, 1899; '^oth were buried at Bethlehem.
Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. John
Seiple ; Malinda S., and Emma M. The last
named was married, December 29, 1887, to
Charles W. Clewell, a grocery salesman. Of this
marriage were born two children : John Walter,
born April 9, 1893, and who came to his death
July 17, 1 90 1, from injuries received by a pile of
lumber falling on him, but a few hours before ;
and Marian Amanda, born September 22, 1900.
This family have taken an active part in the Mo-
ravian church and Sunday school.

REV. PAUL DE SCHWEINITZ, of Beth-
lehem. Pennsylvania, a clergyman of the Mora-
vian church, and officially connected with its vari-
ous missionarv and educational institutions,
comes of an honored ancestry whose members for
several generations have been prominently Identi-
fied with the body of Christians to which he is
attached. He is a lineal descendant of

Hans Christian Alexander von Schweinitz,



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



255



Senior Ciz'ilis Unitatis Fratniin, a member of the
governing board of the Unitas Fratrum, or Mora-
vian church, and administrator of its estates in
tlie United States of America. He was born Oc-
tober 17, 1740, on the ancestral estate of Nieder-
Leuba, in Silesia, Germany. He was descended
from an ancient and noble family, the whole line
of which is complete without a name missing,
back to 1350. ]\Iany of its members were prom-
inent in church and State. This Schweinitz came
to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in 1770, and became
one of the most distinguished men in the service
of the Moravian church. His wife, Anna
Dorothea Elizabeth von Schweinitz, by birth was
a Baroness von Watteville, and a granddaughter
of Nicolas Louis, Count Zinzendorf, a noted
Saxon nobleman, under whose influence the an-
cient Bohemian-Moravian Brethren's church
(Unitas Fratrum) was resuscitated. Their son

Lewis David von Schweinitz, Fh. D., Senior
Civilis Unitatis Fratrum, member of the govern-
ing board of the Unitas Fratrum, or Moravian
church in America, administrator and nominal
proprietor of its estates, senior pastor of the
church in Bethlehem, member of the Academy of
Natural Sciences, of Philadelphia, member of the
American Philosophical Society, corresponding
member of the Linnean Society of Paris, and of
the Society of Natural Sciences of Leipzic, was
born February 13, 1780, in Bethlehem, Pennsyl-
vania, where he died February 8,1734. He was the
most noted clergyman of his church at that time,
and was one of the most distinguished crypto-
gamic botonists of the nineteenth century. He
published many works, especially on fungi. He
added nearly fourteen hundred new species to the
amount of botanical science. His wife was
Louisa Amalia von Schweinitz, by birth Le Doux,
of French Huguenot descent. Their son

Robert de Schweinitz, was born in Salem,
North Carolina, September 20, 1819, and
died in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, October
29, 1901. He was a clergyman of the
Moravian church, was for years engaged in
educational work of the church as princi-
pal of the Salem (North Carolina) Female
Academy, and then of Nazareth Hall boarding



school for boys at Nazareth, Pennsylvania. For
more than twelve years he was president of the
governing board for the Moravian church in
America, and then up to within two years of his
death was the general church treasurer. He held
many subsidiary offices. He served his church
in one caiiacity or another for upwards of sixty
years, and was universally respected throughout
the church, and held in highest esteem by all clas-
ses in the community where he dwelt. His wife
was Marie Louise de Schweinitz, by birth a von
Tschirschky, of the house of Tschirschy-Boegen-
dorff, and on her mother's side of the house of
Schcenberg-Briban, of unbroken noble descent
reaching back into the middle ages, and was born
on the family estate of Wilka, in Germany.

Paul de Schweinitz, son of the parents last
named, was born in Salem, North Carolina, March
16, 1863. He was educated in the Moravian pa-
rochial school in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in
Nazareth Hall at Nazareth, Pennsylvania,
in the ^Moravian College and Theological
Seminary at Bethlehem, P'ennsylvania, and
in the University of Halle, in Germany.
He was ordained a deacon of the Alora-
vian church (Unitas Fratrum) September 12,
1886, and a presbyter September 23, 1888. From
1886 to 1890 he was pastor of the Moravian
church at Northfield, Minnesota, and from
1890 to 1898 pastor of the Moravian church
in Nazareth, Pennsylvania. In the latter year
he became secretary and treasurer of the govern-
ing board of the American ^Moravian church,
North, and he was subsequently chosen secretary
of missions for the American jMoravian church,
also vice-president and treasurer of the society
of the United Brethren for Propagating the Gos-
pel among the heathen, also treasurer of the
]\foravian College and Theological Seminary, also
president of the Aloravian Aid Society, besides
various subsidiary trusteeships and directorships.
He was chosen vice-president of the Pennsyl-
vania-German Society, of which he is a charter
member, and a member of the executive commit-
tee of the Moravian Historical Society. In poli-
tics he is an independent Republican.

Mr. de Schweinitz was married, at Bethlehem,



256



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Pennsylvania, January 27, 1887, to Mary Cath-
erine Daniel, who was educated in the Moravian
Parochial School of Bethlehem, and in Linden
Hall Seminary, a Moravian boarding school for
girls at Lititz, Pennsylvania. Her father was
Charles B. Daniel, the pioneer of the slate mdus-
try of Northampton county, and one oi the organ-
izers of the Bethlehem Iron Company, now the
famous Bethlehem Steel Company. He was one
of the m.ost prominent men of Bethlehem, and, in
fact, of Northampton county, not to say eastern
Pennsylvania. Her mother was Eliza Reigel.
Both the Daniel and Reigel families came to
Pennsylvania prior to the Revolutionary war.

The children of the Rev. Paul and Mary Cath-
erine (Daniel) de Schweinitz are: Karl de
Schweinitz, born November 26, 1887 ; Helena,
born May 18, 1889 ; Dorothea, born September
5, 1891, and Louise, bom August 13, 1897. The
two first named were born at Northfield, Minne-
sota, and the two last named at Nazareth, Penn-
sylvania.

WILSON P. LONG, M. D., the leading med-
■ ical practitioner of Weatherly, Carbon county,
Pennsylvania, where he has been actively engaged
since his graduation from the Medical Depart-
ment of the University of Pennsylvania, in 1886,
is a native of Longswamp township, Berks coun-
tv, Pennsylvania, born in 1861.

Frederick Long, great-grandfather of Dr.
Wilson P. Long, was a Palatinate immi-
grant, having fled to this country in order
to escape the religious persecution inflicted
on the subjects of his own country. He
settled in Berks county, Pennsylvania, on
land obtained from the agents of William
Penn, the same being that which is now included
in the township of Longswamp. He conducted
farming on an extensive scale, won a reputation
for intelligent and practical methods of opera-
tion, and in his day was a man of vast influence
in the community in which he resided.

Daniel Long, grandfather of Dr. Wilson P.
Long, also followed the occupation of farming,
which ])roved a remunerative means of livelihood.



and he conducted his operations on the old home-
stead in Longswamp township, Berks county. His
wife, whose maiden name was Rachel Snyder, a
native of Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, bore
him the following named children : Aaron, Ja-
cob, Lafayette, Samuel, David, Dr. IManoah, Dr.
Augustus, Saiah, Elizabeth, and Catherine Long.

David Long, father of Dr. Wilson P. Long,
was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, in 1830,
and died in the year 1864, when Dr. Long was a
child of three years. By his marriage to Flor-
anda Fegely, daughter of John P. Fegely, of
Shamrock, Berks county, Pennsylvania, five chil-
dren were born, namely : J\Iary, Celia, Amanda,
Wilson and Malazina Long. The widow of
David Long subsequently became the wife of
William Butz, of Alburtis, Pennsylvania, and
four children were born of this marriage, two of
whom are now living, namely : Rev. Charles
Butz, pastor of the Reformed church at Parry-
ville, Pennsylvania ; and William Butz of Mertz-
town, Pennsylvania, who follows farming.

Dr. Wilson P. Long was reared in his native
township, and his educational advantages were
obtained at the common schools therein and those
at Mertztown, and later in life he entered the
Kutztown Normal School. Losing his father
at a very early age, he was cast in a measure upon
his own resources, and during the early years of
his life he worked on his uncle's farm, and for a
period of three years taught school. Having an
inclination for a professional career, he matricu-
lated in the Medical Department of the L^niversity
of Pennsylvania, graduating therefrom with the
degree of Doctor of Medicine in the }ear 1886.
The same year he established himself in Weath-
erly, Pennsylvania, began the practice of medicine
and surgery, and by his skill and ability in the
diagnosis and treatment of disease he built up a
large and select practice which he has conducted
ever since. In addition to these duties he is med-
ical examiner for several of the old line insurance
companies, and physician of the poor house for
the middle coal field, having been appointed to
that office four years ago. He keeps in touch with
the advanced thought along the line of his pro-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



257



fession by membership in the County ]\Iedical
Association, the State jMedical Association, and
the Lehigh Valley JMedical Association.

Aside from his professional duties. Dr. Long
is interested in a number of enterprises which
contribute to the general welfare of the town in
which he resides. He is a director and serves as
secretary of the board of the First National Bank
of Weatherly, and is one of the principal stock-
holders, director and secretary of the board of
directors of the Weatherly Foundry and Alachine
Company. He has a paying interest in a mining
enterprise situated at Hancock, Pennsylvania,
which supplies the C: K. \\'illiams Paint Alills,
of Easton, Pennsylvania, with a fine quality of
ochre. During tlie years 1892-93 he served in
the capacity of coroner of Carbon county, and for
two terms he held the office of school director.
He was chairman of the building committee in
the erection of the Schwab school building, which
structure cost in the neighborhood of eighty-five
thousand dollars. He holds membership in the
Reformed church, in which he holds the office of
elder, and for nine years was a chorister in the
same. His political affiliations are with the Re-
publican party. He is a member of the Patriotic
Order Sons of America, Knights of Pythias,
Grand Commandery of Pennsylvania, and the
order of Modern Woodmen.

On August 2, 1886, Dr. Long married Clara
Boyer, of Reading, Pennsylvania, who died Alay
I, igoi. Their children are : William S. and Al-
bert F. Long.

GEORGE JACOB DESH, now deceased,
was the promoter of many business interests of
importance in Bethlehem that made him a valued
citizen of the borough. He was born at Heller-
town, Pennsylvania, a son of Henry and Alargaret
(Heisler) Desh.

The father was born in ^lillerstown, Lehigh
cctmty, and was reared and educated there, after-
ward following the trades of a butcher, drover
and tanner. He also conducted a hotel for a time,
and he reared his family in ]\lillerstown. His
children were ten in number: I. Daniel, who mar-
ried .Antoinette Clementine Bishop, and their chil-

17



dren are Orlando, Ambrose Renny, William Dan-
iel, Edward Eugene, and Harrison Cornelius.
2. Maria Desh, who is the wife of James Behm,
and they have nine children — Wilson, Lucy,
Henry, William. James, Peter, Ellen, George and
Allen. 3. Susan, who is the wife of Joseph Landis,
and their chi-ldren are Henry, Emma, Alice, Su-
san Hannah, David and William. 4. Caleb, who
married and his children are Mctor, Caroline,
\\'illiam, Edward, Dolly, Lillian and W'alter, the
last named now deceased : 5. Eliza, who never
married. 6. Aaron, born in Hellertown, who
married Susan Smith, and their children are Mar-
tha, George, Rose, Anna, Clara, and Kate. 7.
Diana, born in Hellertown, who married Alartin
Lcidich, and has four children, Anna, Henry, Ca-
junta. and Elizabeth. 8. Owen, born in Heller-
town, and now deceased, who married Elizabeth
]\Iangle. and had a son, Henry, born October 24,
185 1. 9. Henry, born December 30, 1834, mar-
ried Annie E. James, and had two children, Will-
iam and Laura, the former now deceased. 10.
George J., born June 16, 1837.

George J. Desh was reared in Hellertown,
Pennsylvania, and attended the common schools.
At the age of seventeen years he went to Phila-
delphia, where he found employment in a tobacco
store. After remaining there for a few years he
went west to Ohio, but after a few months re-
turned to Philadelphia. In the autumn, in com-
pany with his brother Daniel, he engaged in the
butchering business, remaining in Philadelphia
until 186 1, when he removed to Freemansburg,
where he continued in the same line for two years.
In 1863 he decided to locate in Bethlehem, and
located on Fairview street, establishing a meat
market which has since been conducted bv the
famil}-. During the period when the Civil war
was at its height, there was a call for emergency
men. and Mr. Desh, hastily arranging his business
aft'airs and placing his store in the care of his
wife, joined the company that marched from Beth-
lehem under the command of Captain Frank C.
Stout. At the end of six weeks, when their serv-
ices were no longer needed. ]\Ir. Desh returned to
Bethlehem, and resumed the management of his
business, in which he continued until his death.



258



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



He prospered in this undertaking, and made
many improvements in his butchering establish-
ment in order to meet the demands of a high class
trade. At the time of his death he was the treas-
urer of the Citizens' Mutual Fire Insurance Com-
pany, of Northampton county, which office he had
filled for three years. He was also .the president
cf the Sailor's Lake Ice Company, and was largely
interested in real estate, owning more than thirty
dwellings and pieces of property in Bethlehem,
besides a large farm of one hundred and two acres
in East Allen township, Northampton county. His
business methods were in harmony with the high-
est standard cf commercial ethics, and he owed
his success to keen discernment, marked energy
and close application.

Mr. Desh took part in the organization of the
Bethlehem Fair and Driving Park Association,
and served for several terms on the board of di-
rectors. He was the founder of the leading musi-
cal organization of Bethlehem, and acted as its
president from its inception until his death. He
thus largely promoted the musical interests of the
city, and did much to cultivate a love of the art
among his fellow townsmen. His religious faith
was indicated by his membership in Grace Luth-
eran church on Broad street. Mr. Desh was one
of the organizers of the Fairview Hose Company.
He took an active interest in local political affairs,
and for several years represented the third ward
in the town council, and although he was a stanch
Republican he received a handsome majority from
a Democratic ward. He was also a member of the
school beard for thirteen years, and he exercised
his official prerogatives in support of every meas-
ure that tended to promote the interests of the
schools or promote the welfare of his town along
lines of progress, reform and improvement. Thus
it was that he became one of the most valued and
highly respected citizens of his community.

Ceorge Jacob Desh was married in Philadel-
phia, in March, 1859, to Miss Catherine Crater,
who was l)nrn at East Winston, Chester county.
F'ennsvlvania, I'Y'bruary 19, 1840, a daughter of
Owen and I£liza (Schwatz) Crater. Fourteen
children were born of this marriage: i. Annie
E., the eldest, born October 22, i860, is the wife



of Charles Rush, and the mother of three chil-
dren, George, Earl, and Ethel. 2. Antoinette C,
born November 25, 1861, is the wife of William
Semple, of Philadelphia. 3. Clara E. is the wife of
William Winsch, and has six children — Katie,
Mossir, George, Russell, Ruth, and Mattie, but
the last named died in infancy. 4. Laura
B., is the wife of Charles Dech, and hrs
three children — Helen, Joseph, and Thomas. Ida,
(5), George (6), Morris (7), and Ambrose (8),
all died in childhood. 9. Bertha E., born No-
vember 12, 1 87 1, is the wife of Capt. Ed Os-
borne. ID. Adelaide C, born August 5, 1873, is
the wife of Howard Wilburger. 11. Warren E.,
born June 12, 1874, married Cora Benner, and
their children are George and Abraham, twins.
12. Henry H., born September 5, 1875, married
Ellen Archer. 13. Grace G., born July 11, 1877,
is the wife of Henry Ritter, and has three children
— Warren, Dorothy and Virginia. 14. Earle G.,
the youngest, was born October i, 1881.

TINSLEY JETER. The Jeter family, of
which Tinsley Jeter was an honored and distin-
guished representative, occupying a very prom-
inent position in business circles, and leaving the
impress of his individuality upon the commercial
development of Pennsylvania, was established in
Virginia at an early period in the colonization of
the new world, and was of English origin. As
time passed, different representatives of the name
figured prominently in connection with public af-
fairs in the Old Dominion. John Jeter, grandfa-
ther of Tinsley Jeter, was a planter of \'irginia,
and served his country with patriotic zeal as a
soldier in the war of 1812. He married Miss
Chaffin.

John Tinsley Jeter, father of Tinsely Jeter,
was born in Virginia, in 1798. He was a planter
and merchant of Painesville, Amelia county,
where he conducted business until 1843, when he
removed to Missouri. After a residence of four
years in that state he went to New Orleans, Louis-
iana, and subsequently purchased a plantation on
the Missouri river, opposite Fort Hudson, where
he died in 1862. He was married twice. First in
1822, to Elizabeth Newman, who died in 1835,



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL ^lEMOIRS.



259



and by whom he had the following named chil-
dren : Elvira, the eldest, became the wife of A.
A. Motley, of Tennessee, and the mother of three
children — A. A., Elizabeth, and John JMotley.
Allen deceased. Ellen, who became the wife of
Dr. McLean, and had four children — Dr. Robert
A. ]\IcLean, Alary, Elizabeth, and John. Tinslev,
mentioned hereinafter. The children of John Tin-
sley Jeter, by his second wife, were three in num-
ber. Captain \\'illiam Jeter, the first, served as
an officer in the Confederate army during the
Civil war. Anna, became the wife of Captain Car-
mouche, of New Orleans, and they were the par-
ents of fcur children, Emile, Elizabeth, Stella and
\Mlliam Carmouche. Warwick, the youngest.

Tinsley Jeter, the fourth child of John Tinslev
and Elizabeth (Newman) Jeter, was born in Pains-
ville, Amelia county, Virginia, in 1827, and died
July 19, 1903. His boyhood days were passed in
Virginia, where he benefited by good educational
privileges, and after the removal of the family to
Missouri he became a student in the State L'niver-
sity at Columbia, spending two years in that in-
stitution. In the autumn of 1847 '''^ went to New
Orleans, and in the spring of the following year
to South America on a business trip for his father.
For three years he traveled in that country, in
Canada and in the western states, and then began
preparation for a professional career by studying
law with Hon. Peter AlcCali, of Philadelphia. He
was admitted to the bar in 1855, and practiced
his profession until 1859, achieving a fair degree
of success. In the meantime he became interested
in the Lehigh countv iron mines, giving up his
practice to attend to this enterprise, which he later
sold to Robert L. Kennedy, of New York. He
was a resident of Philadelphia from 1852, the year
of his marriage, to i860, when he removed with
his family to Bethlehem, where he became actively
identified with the development of iron mines. His
business was of a nature that proved of immense
benefit to his section of the state, as well as a
source of individual profit, and he won a most
creditable position in industrial and financial cir-
cles. He was instrumental in forming the cor-
poration for the building of the Ironton Railroad
from Ironton to Copley, about eight miles in



length, which he sold in 1866 to New York par-
ties, and which is now owned by the Thomas
Iron Company. He built the Bethlehem postofiice
building which has been occupied for that pur-
pose by the L'nited States government ever since.
He was the president of the South Bethlehem
Improvement Association, and for a number of
years was one of the leading representatives of
real estate interests in Bethlehem, and South
Bethlehem, handling much valuable property and
laying cut the greater part of Fountain Hill. A
man of resourceful business ability, his judgment
was rarely at fault, and his sagacity and foresight
were remarkable. He recognized the value of op-
portunity, understood the spirit of the times, and
so shaped his afifairs as to make labor profitable
to employer and employee.

His activity likewise extended to other lines
which resulted in no direct benefit to himself, but



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 46 of 92)