John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 5 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 5 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and social enterprises. It occupies a command-
ing position on the northern part of the campus.
It is seventy-five feet east of Powell Hall. It
has a frontage of ninety-five feet and a depth
of fifty-five feet. It is designed in the English



Gothic style of architecture, and built of New
Quincy granite at a total cost of $35,000. It
has three stories, the second containing the chapel
for religious meetings, seated for three hundred
persons. The whole building is finished in most
artistic style, and is a splendid memorial to the
taste and generosity of the giver, 'Mr. James Ren-
wick Hogg, of Philadelphia, a graduate of the
class of '78. J\lr. Hogg succeeded his father as a
manufacturer of carpets. The Presbyterian Hos-
pital in Philadelphia owes its origin largely to
the beneficence of his father.

The Young JMen's Christian Association in-
cludes in its membership about one-half of the
students. They conduct Sunday schools and
numerous religious meetings ; and by their annual
contributions support a foreign missionary.

Athletic, Soci.\l Life and Fe.\ternities. —
The students of Lafayette have made the college
conspicuous in the eyes of the youths of the land
by their prowess in the various departments of
athletic sports. Harvard, Princeton, and Yale
have frequently been beaten by the Lafayette
team in the spring contests on the diamond. In
the autumnal season of football, Lafayette men
are always heard from, and the personnel of the
team is watched with interest. A trophy room
in Brainerd Hall is devoted to a large collection
of symbols and memorials of their prowess.
When the team of 1882 gained a great victory
over Harvard, in the presence of an assemblage
of twelve thousand, in the "tug of war," the
Boston papers explained the defeat of their home
team by saying. "Xo wonder those Pennsyl-
vanians had such a pull for their college is built
on a high hill, and their calves have had no end
of muscular development."

The social life of the students, as indicated
in part by the existence of flourishing mandolin,
banjo, and glee clubs, by a dramatic association,
a press club, and a series of student assemblies,
is such as to have given a marked attachment
to "the City at the Forks of the Delaware," where
these youthful pleasures become pleasing mem-
ories. Nor is it at all unnatural to add that not a
few return after graduation to carry away brides
from the Triple City.



22



HISTORIC HOMES AND IXSTITUTIOXS.



In 1889 the high standing of the College was
testified to by the granting of a charter to es-
tablish a chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa fra-
ternity. This was the earliest organization of
men of letters, in this country, and it bears date
before the Declaration of American Independence.
None but the highest scholars are eligible to its
membership, and it now numbers one hundred
members. Numerous other Greek letter fratern-
ities exist — the Delta Kappa Epsilon, Zeta Psi,
Theta Delta Chi, Phi Kappa Psi, Phi Delta
Theta, Chi Phi, Phi Gamma Delta, Delta Upsilon,
Sigma Chi. Sigma Nu, Psi Alpha Kappa, and Al-
pha Chi Rho Rho. The Sigma Chi has a beautiful
hall on Clinton street. The Delta Kappa Epsilon
in January, 1904, occupied their charming home
on Sullivan street, seventy by thirty feet, three
stories high, and containing twenty-two rooms.
The architect was J. N. Harris, of Philadelphia,
who has made the structure tasty and appropriate
in every respect. The hall cost $17,000.

What the College has Accomplished. —
As an incentive to high scholarship among the
students, there are distributed annually twenty-
five prizes which range from five to one hundred
dollars each. These are given for excellence in
various departments of study. Few graduates
of the College fail to secure immediate posi-
tions. The books of the institution show that
5,123 have been enrolled as students during the
past seventy-two years. Of these two thousand
and seventy-one have graduated. This number in-
cluded over six hundred ministers ; forty-three
foreign missionaries ; seven hundred and sixty
lav\'yers ; forty-two judges; seventy-one members
of Congress or the Legislature ; three hundred
and ninety-two physicians ; three hundred and
eighty-two professors and teachers ; and seventy-
eight editors. Those in the technical courses num-
ber twelve hundred. These are engaged in en-
gineering and chemistry, assaying, railroad man-
agement, mining and the like.

In the seventy-five years of history now made
by this College, its record is becoming well
known. Not a few of its graduates have attained
eminence. Its diploma is coveted. No young
man, however limitcl his means, need be dis-



couraged, for if worthy he may look for reason-
able help towards securing a thorough education.
Good positions await deserving graduates. The
extreme healthfulness of the location and the
favorable conditions that surround the life of
a student here are evident to young men of stud-
ious disposition, who may be assured of a pleas-
ant reception and of finding pleasing social re-
lations.

Present Status of the College. — Possessed
of an ample eciuipment, as it was thought to be
a generation ago, the College has in many re-
spects outgrown its material habiliments, its halls
are filled to their utmost capacity, and its recita-
tion rooms are crowded. It would seem as though
evident necessity compelled the College either
to greatly raise its standard of requirements for
admission, which are already up tp those of the
other large institutions, and as high as the prep-
aratory schools that supply the students can con-
veniently attain, and thus diminish the number in
attendance, or else enlarge several of its build-
ings to provide increasing accommodations for
growing numbers. The gymnasium, which when
built in 1884 was thought so well adapted
for its purposes, should be enlarged to double its
present size. Every seat in the College chapel
is taken, and it is a question how to place an
incoming class of students. So through all de-
partments is felt the pressure of numbers. A
greater need, however, than anything so far
named, is of a large endowment to meet the
salaries and the current expenses which increase
as buildings are added. The salaries of the pro-
fessors are small, and there are few of them
who have not received more remunerative oflers
elsewhere, but they stay on account of their love
for the College and their devotion to its work.
They are happy in the thought that their faithful
services are appreciated. The fathers planned
wisely when they located Lafayette College at
the "Forks of the Delaware."

THE SOLDIER^S MONUMENT. On the
southern edge of the campus of Lafayette College,
where the declivity is most nearly precipitous,
stands a graceful monument erected by the



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL ^lEMOIRS.



23



Alumni Association in 1867 to commemorate the
service of those former students and graduates
of the College who fell in the war of the L'nion.
It is located precisely in the axis of North Third
street, and as the heavy foliage around it is kept
carefully cut away, the visitor can see this
memorial from any point on the main street oi




SOLDIERS MONUMENT.

Easton for a long distance away, embowered in
nature's green.

Few Colleges surpassed Lafayette in the per-
centage of their graduates who served in the
great war. Among the names of those
high in rank we find Generals Andrew
Porter, of the class of '38 ; Nathaniel
Michler, '45; George B. Ihrie, '46; James L.
Selfridge. '46; H. M. Hoyt, '49 (who was
afterwards Governor of Pennsylvania) : T. F.
Rodenbough, '54 ; Edward L. Campbell, '55 ;
Charles A. Wikofif, '55 ; Duncan S. Walker, '62.
Many others reached the rank of colonel, chap-
lain, captain, etc. Sixteen fell in battle or died
of wounds received on the field. Their names
and their class are inscribed on two faces of the
monument. Fronting the town in bold letters are
the words "these died for the union."



Soon after the close of the war a strong com-
mittee was appointed to secure funds for the
erection of a suitable memorial. The plan offered
by J. G. Batterson & Co., of Hartford, Connecti-
cut, was selected, and that firm constructed the
monument at a cost of five thousand dollars. A
limestone foundation was set on the solid rock.
The base is circular, forty-two
feet in circumference, and is sur-
mounted by a square block nine
feet high, bearing the inscription
'.'Erected by the Alumni Asso-
ciation.'' Above this is a statute
of a soldier on the field in the po-
sition "At Rest," leaning on his
musket. The monument is con-
structed of Barrie granite. Its
total height is twenty-seven feet.
On the occasion of its com-
pletion a commemorative address
was delivered by Major Henry
T. Lee, a professor in the Col-
lege, who had served with dis-
tinction in the L'uited .States
Heavy Artillery under General
Abner Doubleday. This inter-
esting address was afterwards
published and contains the full
muster roll of the college. In
this connection it may be added that nine "Men
of Lafayette" served in the Mexican war, and
twenty-seven in the war with Spain in 1898.

PROFESSOR JAMES HENRY COFFIN,
LL. D., was born at Williamsburg, near North-
ampton, Massachusetts, September 6, 1806. He
was the sixth in line of direct descent from
Tristram Cofifin, of Devon, England, who with
eight others were pioneers in the settlement of
the Island of Nantucket in 1659.

Being left an orphan, he went to live with his
uncle, the Rev. [Moses Hallock, under whose care
he was educated. He graduated at Amherst Col-
lege in 1828. After leaving college he engaged
in teaching in Alassachusetts, entering upon a
profession in which he continued until the day of
his death. He established one of the first manual



24



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



labor schools in the country at Greenfield, ]Massa-
chusetts, which was known as the Fellenberg
Academy. Leaving Greenfield in 1837, he went to
Ogdensburg, New York, to take charge of a
school there, and here remained until 1839. His
scientific life dates from this time. Here he be-
came interested in meteorology. In 1839 he left
Ogdensburg to become a tutor in Williams Col-
lege, where he remained five years. Here he
published a work on the mode of calculating solar
and lunar eclipses, which was extensively used.
During the same period he devised the erection
and superintended the building of the Greylock
Observatory, on Saddle Mountain. In this ob-
servatory he placed the first combined, self-regis-
tering instrument ever constructed, to determine
the direction, velocity and moisture of winds.
An improved instrument for the same purpose
he recently presented to the observatory at Cor-
dova, Buenos Ayres. Leaving Williams College
in 1843, h^ spent three years in teaching at Nor-
walk, Connecticut. In 1844 an acquaintanceship
began between the Professor and Captain M. F.
Maury, U. S. N., which continued up to the
time of the rebellion. Capt. Maury is well known
for his investigations into the subject of oceanic
currents and winds. In 1846 Professor Coffin
accepted the position of professor of mathematics
in Lafayette College, and for twenty-seven years
his life has been spent in Easton. As professor
of mathematics at Lafayette, Dr. Coffin won much
celebrity, but his name will perhaps be more
widely known through the country as a con-
tributor to the reports of the Smithsonian Insti-
tution, and for his investigations on the subject
of winds and atmospheric changes. In this field
he was a pioneer. Fifty-one years ago the
Smithsonian Institution published a large quarto
volume of Professor Coffin's on "The Winds of
the Northern Hemisphere." For some years he
was engaged on another work, which at the time
of his death was nearly ready for ]iublication. This
volume, a treatise on "The Winds of the
Globe," issued by the Smithsonian Institution in
1876, seven hundred and eighty-one pages and
six plates, the largest numerical tables ever is-
sued from the American press. Among his more



important mathematical works are a "Treatise
on Solar and Lunar Eclipses," a work on "The
Meteoric Fire-ball of July, i860," "Astronomical
Tables," "Conic Sections," and "Analytical
Geometry."

The merits and learning of Dr. Coffin were
not unrecognized. He was one of the first elected
members of the National Academy of Science,
and was a prominent member of the American
Association for the Advancement of Science, at
whose meetings he frequently read papers on
meteorological subjects. At the time of his
death, February 6, 1873, he was an elder in the
Brainerd Church. He united with the church
at an early age, and lived a sincere and devout
Christian. A tablet erected to his memory, on
the spot which was for so long a time his resi-
dence, and on which Pardee Hall was built, bears
the following inscription in his honor.

"In Memory of James Henry Coffin, LL. D.,
Long a mainstay of Lafayette College, Pro-
fessor of Mathematics, Natural Philosophy and
Astronomy, 1846-1873, Vice-President and Col-
lege Treasurer 1863-1873.

A tireless teacher and administrator, an officer
of the church, a friend of the slave, a member
of the National Academy of Sciences, author of
"Winds of the Globe." He annexed the atmos-
phere to the realms of science, and searched the
highways of the winds and the paths of vagrant
storms.

Born in Williamsburg, ]\lass., Sept. 6, 1806.
Died in Easton, Pa., February 6, 1873. The
class of 1866 has erected this tablet."

FRANCIS A. MARCH, LL. D., L. H. D.,
LiTT. D., D. C. L., Professor of the English
Language and Comparative Philology at Lafay-
ette College, is a lineal descendant of Hugh
March, founder of the family of that name in
the United States, and who came early to New-
bury, Massachusetts, and died there in 1693, aged
seventy-three years. Of Judith, wife of Hugh
.March, little is known. The first reference to
the family in the records of Newbury occurs
in 1653, when Mistress Judith was "presented for
wearing a silk hood and scarfe," but was dis-
charged on proof that her husband was of "con-
siderable estate." (Coffin, "History of New-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



bury," page 58). In 1668 Hugh left his farm
at the sohcitation of his townsmen, and estab-
lished an inn that was famous for many j-ears.
He was, like other New England inn-keepers,
a "person of approved character and competent
estate."

All of the four sons of Hugh March were
ofificers in the colonial army during the French
and Indian wars, one of them. Colonel John
March (1658-1725) being especially distinguished
as "the foremost military leader in New England
up to the time of the Port Royal expedition,"
1707, which he commanded, and "the failure of
which may fairly be charged in part to the Gov-
ernor, who sent him out, and to the officers of
the 'Deptford,' which was the convoy of the
expedition." (Johnson's L'niv. Cyc.)

The line of descent from Hugh March and
Judith, his wife, to Francis Andrew March, is as
follows :

2. Hugh, b. Newbury, ]\Iass., Nov. 3, 1656;
captain in French and Indian war; m. 1683, Mrs.
Sarah Moody.

3. Samuel, b. Newbury, ]\Iass., March 2,
1689; m. Ann Tappan (1686-1724), daughter of
Jacob and Hannah Sewall Tappan.

4. Daniel, b. Newbury, Dec. 26, 1717, moved
to Sutton in 1753, and bought a tract of land
three miles long, beside the Blackstone river, in
center of what is now Millbury.

5. Tappan, b. in Sutton (Millbury), 1749,
died Oct. 2, 1809; m. Hannah, daughter of Na-
than Patch, of Worcester.

6. Andrew, b. in Sutton (Millbury), Oct.
13, 1798, died at Albion, Pa., Feb. 20, 1874: m.
Nancy Parker, of Charlton, ]\Iass., who died Feb.
20, 1830, aged 25.

7. Francis Andrew ]March.

Dr. March was born in ^lillbury, INIassachu-
setts, October 25, 1825, in the central residence
upon the estate there, then owned by his father.
When he was three years of age his father, upon
the building of the Blackstone canal through his
grounds, close by his house, despite his vigorous
opposition, sold the estate to his brother Nathan,
and moved to W'orcester, ^Massachusetts, taking
up his residence in an old colonial man-



sion which he had inherited from his mother
(a daughter of Nathan Patch, of Worcester).
In ^^'orcester he entered upon various business
projects, particularly the manufacture of fine cut-
lery, one of the first enterprises of this character
in the country, and for which it was necessary to
import English workmen.

Francis Andrew March thus began his educa-
tion in Worcester. He received a notable stimu-
lus in childhood in a kind of kindergarten in the
family of the Rev. J. S. C. Abbott, then preaching
in \\"orcester, in which jNIiss Collins, with in-
genious contrivances and apparatus, made the
children understand many things before the usual
time. This helped him greatly in the public
schools of Worcester, where his education was
continued, as it enabled him to keep up easily
with older boys and to make the most of the in-
struction in these schools, esteemed in that re-
gion as the best in the world.

A notable teacher in the high school at that
time was Charles Thurber, afterwards known as
an inventor of revolving pistols, who took an
active part in the work of the literary societies
connected with the school, and encouraged the
boys to many kinds of literary work. There were
many clever boys in the school, some of whom
afterwards became distinguished. Among them
were Horace Davis, president of the University
of California, Brigadier-General Hasbrouck
Davis, the college hero of his classmate (Pro-
fessor W. D. Whitney), and Judge J. C. B. Davis,
Minister to Germany, nephews of the historian
George Bancroft ; President Thomas Chase, of
Haverford, and his brother, Professor Pliny E.
Chase ; Andrew H. Green, of New York City,
and his brother, Oliver B. Green, of Chica.go.

^^'orcester at this time was full of intellectual
activity. The anti-slavery agitation was begin-
ning, and Theodore Parker, Emerson and \\'en-
dell Phillips were stirring men's souls. Worces-
ter was also fortunate in possessing the library
of the American Antiquarian Society, a free and
large collection of the best books. Francis A.
^larch took an active part in all that was going on.
In the literary societies he wrote prose and verse
freel}-, took part in the acting of plays, in search-



26



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



ing for good old plays to act, and making new
ones ; in the library he looked into books of many
literatures ; and he was a leader on the play-
ground as well as in the class-room.

Meanwhile misfortunes had fallen thick upon
his father. His partner in the cutlery manu-
factory had disappeared with much of his prop-
erty ; a store in which he was interested had been
destroyed by fire ; and, finally, his residence had
gone up in smoke. At this critical point the
Hon. Alfred D. Foster, of Worcester, a trustee
of Amherst College, offered the boy a provision
of $200 a year for a college course in that insti-
tution. Entering Amherst in 1841, at the age of
fifteen, he took at once a leading position in
scholarship and in athletics. He was a prize
speaker, and took first parts in the exhibitions, the
highest undergraduate Amherst honors, and upon
graduation received the valedictory appointment.
He was president of the Alexandrian Literary
Society, and a member of the Alpha Delta Phi
and Phi Beta Kappa fraternities.

Some of the other prominent members of the
- class of '45 were the Hon. Henry Stockbridge,
of Baltimore ; Prof. Marshall Henshaw, of Rut-
gers ; President J. S. Lee, of St. Lawrence LTni-
versity; and J. R. Brigham, Esq., city attorney
of Milwaukee, and regent of the Llniversity of
Wisconsin ; with others, preachers, better known
in India and Zululand and through the wilds of
the west — Noyes, Tyler, Packard and Wood-
worth.

Much of the best work done by Mr. jMarch
at college was done outside of the college class-
room. He was especially interested in philosophi-
cal studies, and had far-reaching plans for work
in that direction. In his junior year he delivered
the junior oration upon "Greatest-happiness
Philosophy," and at commencement spoke upon
"God in Science." His attention, however, was
directed toward the study of Anglo-Saxon and
of English by the lectures of Noah Webster, and
the instruction of Prof. W. C. Fowler, his son-
in-law, the author of the well-known English
grammars.

Upon graduation, Dr. March went to Swan-
zey. New Hampshire, and taught there for the



fall term, then to the Leicester Academy, where
he remained two years and had many notable
pupils, among others Oliver Ames, who became
governor of Massachusetts. He here made trial
of the plan of teaching English classics as Latin
and Greek are taught. From 1847 to 1849 h^
was a tutor in Amherst, and again lived in the
midst of high English studies. During this time
he became intimately acquainted with Professor
Henry B. Smith, the eminent philosophical and
theological writer, afterwards of Union Theologi-
cal Seminary.

Meanwhile he had decided upon a legal career,
and had been studying law while teaching, and,
during vacation, in the office of Mr. F. H. Dewey,
a prominent attorney in Worcester. In 1848 he
delivered the master's oration for his class upon
the "Relation of the study of Jurisprudence to the
Baconian Philosophy." This was a notable suc-
cess, receiving special approbation from Rufus
Choate, who happened to hear it. It was sought
for publication in the Nczu Englandcr, and was
Mr. March's first article in a prominent review.

In 1849 hs went to New York and entered
as a law student in the office of Barney & Butler.
Mr. Barney was afterwards collector of the port
of New York. Mr. B. F. Butler had been Presi-
dent Van Buren's attorney-general. William
Allen Butler, his son, early well known as the
author of "Nothing to Wear," and other literary
work, and now a leader of the bar in New
York, was also a member of the firm. In 1850,
in partnership with Gordon L. Ford, Esq., father
of Paul Leicester and W. Chauncey Ford, he
entered upon the practice of law. After about
two years he was attacked by bleeding from the
lungs, and was sent to Cuba. There and at Key
West he stayed until the following summer, when
he returned to New York. Upon resuming legal
work, the attacks of bleeding continued, and he
gave up finally all hope of a legal career, and
even of life. Seeking a warmer climate he then
(through the Rev. Lyman Coleman, then preach-
ing in Philadelphia, whom he had known at
Amherst), found a position as teacher in a pri-
vate academy at Fredericksburg, A'irginia, where
he stayed two years. In 1855 Dr. AlcPhail, the



GENEALOGICAL AXD PERSONAL AIEMOIRS.



27



head of the academy, afterwards president of La-
fayette College, but at that time minister of the
Brainerd Church at Easton, induced him to come
to Lafayette as tutor. In 1856 he became Ad-
junct Professor of Belles Lettres and English
Literature ; in 1857, Professor of the English
Language and Comparative Philology. Since
1857 he has remained in this professorship, the
first of this kind in any college. From 1875 to
1877 he was Lecturer on Constitutional Law and
Public Law, and the Roman Law.

Dr. IMarch's early work was in the direction
of philosophical study. His articles in the
Princeton Revictv upon philosophical subjects in
i860 attracted much attention, bringing him to the
friendly notice of Dr. ^XlcCosh, still in Ireland,
and leading to a correspondence with Cousin,
who desired him to undertake the introduction of
his works into America. Since the resignation
of President McPhail, in 1863, Professor March
has taken charge of the college classes in mental
philosophy. Dr. March, however, was gradually
turning his attention to the philological work for
which he is so well known. He had taken up
the plan of teaching the English classics in the
same way as the Greek classics were then taught,
making a thorough study of the text, word by
word, in the light of comparative philology and
literature, as well as of the life and times of the
author to explain it. He tried this course first
in the fitting schools in Leicester Academy, with
success, and later in Lafayette College. The
growth of such studies has been rapid. j\Iany
teachers in them have been trained in Lafay-
ette. During his first years at Lafayette he heard
many recitations upon general subjects, filling up
all recitation hours. The comparative philology



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 5 of 92)