John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 52 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 52 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was born April 10, 1882, and died in early child-
hood ; Edgar Ashton, born January 10, 1884.

Morris A. Borhek was educated in the Mora-
vian day school at Bethlehem, and at the Nisky
Hill Seminary, under the instruction of Profes-
sor Van Kirk. On leaving school he served an
apprenticeship under H. B. Luckenbach at the tin-
cimith trade. On the breaking out of the Civil
war, however, he enlisted in the militia, and later
in the Emergency Men as a member of the Twen-
ty-fourth Infantry, with which he served for
three months. After his military experience he
engaged in the banking business, and has since
been connected with financial interests in Bethle-
hem, being at the present time the teller in the
Lehigh National Bank. More than a third of a
century's experience has gained him broad knowl-
edge of the business, and made his efforts of much
value in the successful conduct of the institution
with which he is associated.

Mr. Borhek was united in marriage to Miss
Emma Stadiger, a daughter of Herman and So-
phia (Shelly) Stadiger. Her paternal grand-
parents were John Frederick and Susan Eliza-
beth (Bagge) Stadiger. Her father was born in
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, January 19, 1810, and
pursued his education at Nazareth Hall. For
many years during his business career he con-
ducted a hotel at Friedensville, Pennsylvania, and
his death occurred in 1866. Mr. Borhek and his
wife have had one child, Herman S., who was
born April 15, 1869, and married Addie Thayer.

PRESTON H. KRATZER, one of the enter-
prising young business men of Catasauqua, Le-
high county, Pennsylvania, who has gained an
enviable reputation for the utmost integrity and
conscientiousness in all transactions, was born
April 20, 1874, in Hanover township, which is
adjacent to the borough of Catasauqua.

Reuben Kratzer, grandfather of Preston H.
Kratzer, was a native of Hanover township, Le-
high county, born in 181 1. He married Sarah
Fenstermacher, who was born in 1816, a daugh-
ter of Johannes and Rosanna Fenstermacher, and



their family consisted of four children, namely :
Mrs. Levina Frey, Airs. Laura Keim, deceased ;
Mrs. Matilda Jones, and Franklin Kratzer.

Franklin Kratzer, father of Preston H. Krat-
zer, was born in the borough of Catasauqua, Le-
high county, in 1850. He attended the common
schools in the neighborhood of his home, and
the education therein acquired prepared him for
the activities of life. He learned the trade of
carpenter, and is now in the employ of his son,
Preston H. Kratzer, who is the proprietor and
operator of a fine and flourishing planing mill.
Mr. Kratzer has been a resident of Catasauqua
for twenty-eight consecutive years, and during
this long period of time he has won and retained
the respect of a large circle of friends and busi-
ness associates. Mr. Kratzer married Alice
Bush, who was born in Moore township, North-
ampton county, in 1848, and the surviving mem-
bers of their family are as follows : Preston H.,
mentioned at length in the following paragraph ;
Emma, Minnie, Mabel and Elmira.

Preston H. Kratzer was reared in the borough
of Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, and during his
boyhood he was a student in its common schools.
He served an apprenticeship at the trade of car-
penter, becoming a practical and expert work-
man, thoroughly familiar with all the various
branches of that important occupation, and is
therefore well qualified to conduct the extensive
planing mill of which he is the proprietor and
operator, and which he built in 1903. The build-
ing is thirty-two by one hundred feet, and is
equipped with the most modern machinery, in-
cluding a gasoline engine of twenty-five horse
power. He gives constant employment to twen-
ty-five skilled mechanics, and the product of the
plant, which consists of doors, sash, blinds,
frames, and all kinds of mouldings and builders
material, is the best work of its kind in the Le-
high Valley. He is an active and public-spirited
citizen, and takes a keen interest in the commer-
cial, political and social circles of the commun-
ity in which he resides.

In i8g6 Mr. Kratzer married Sadie E. Laub,
who was born in Hanover township, Lehigh
county, in 1876, a daughter of Oliver and Seniah




ojly>^ ^^^XrC^^^ciAj^^



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



289



Laub, granddaughter of William and Catherine
Laub, and a descendant of an old and honored
family in the Lehigh \'alley. William Laub
(grandfather) died at the age of sixty years, and
he and his wife, Catherine (Switzer) Laub, were
the parents of six children, namely : Oliver,
Owem, Leander, Lovina, Emma, deceased ; and
Lucinda, deceased. Oliver Laub (father) was a
practical engineer during the early years of his
life, but is now engaged in agricultural pursuits.
Three children were born to Air. Laub and his
wife Seniah, namely : Lizzie, William, and Sadie
E., aforementioned as the wife of Preston H.
Kratzer.

The family of ]\Ir. and Mrs. Kratzer consists
of two children, William P., and Estelle M. Krat-
zer. Mr. and Mrs. Kratzer are members of St.
Paul's church, and Mr. Kratzer affiliates with the
Democratic party.

CHARLES H. BEITEL, Professor of J\Iusic
in the town of Nazareth, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, is a lineal descendant of Heinrich
Beitel, a noted missionary, who was born at
Gross Neundorf, L'pper Silesia, Germany, Janu-
ary 18, 171 1. Owing to religious persecution the
latter fled from his native town in the year 1735
to Hernnhut, Saxony, where the following year
he joined the church of the United Brethren. He
was one of the earliest members of the Church
of Pilgrims which met for worship in the Castle
of Ronneburg, in Wetteravia, a district- of Hesse
Darmstadt. He was also instrumental in the
founding of the Wetteravian Colony of Mora-
vians at Harrnhaag, and resided there as a Single
Brother until 1739. when he received a call to
Surinam, South America. This mission station,
to which he took his newly wedded wife, was
amongst the Arawack Indians of Berbice, then a
province of Surinam, but now forming a part of
British Guiana. The name of the station was
Pilgerhut, and it was located on the Waronye
river, near its junction with the river Berbice, one
hundred miles from the coast.

In 1745 Heinrich Beitel and his wife sent their
eldest son, Johann Renatus, to the North Amer-
ican colony with a Moravian brother ; the follow-

19



ing five years the parents spent in Europe, and
during this time Heinrich Beitel visited all the
Moravian congregations in Germany and Hol-
land. In 1749 he took up his residence at Zeist,
where he remained until he received his second
call to South America, in 175 1, when he and his
wife returned to Pilgerhut, leaving the follow-
ing named children in Europe to be educated —
Anna JNIagdalena, Anna Rosina, George, and
Johann Heinrich. In 1755 Mr. Beitel and his
wife set sail for New York with their younger
children. Christian Frederick and David, for the
purpose of placing them in American church
schools, and the following year, when they re-
turned to South America, they found the mission
at Pilgerhut battling with a virulent fever which
carried away about half the white population.
In consequence of this deadly plague the once
flourishing mission of Pilgerhut was after some
years reduced to a mere handful of people. The
blacks of Berbice, taking advantage of the cir-
cumstances, rose in insurrection against the gov-
ernment in 1763, overrunning the country and
ravishing all the settlements, including Pilgerhut,
which was destroyed by fire that year.

The general belief was that the "Arawack
Grammar and Dictionary" which the lamented
Professor Schumann compiled with such untir-
ing industry, was lost at this time, but it is very
gratifying to know that Heinrich Beitel was
wrong in having supposed that the ashes of these
two valuable works mingled with those of Pil-
gerhut, or that by getting into the hands of law-
less people were forever lost to the world. The
fact is that, unknown to the missionary, they were
placed in the Herrnhut Library, and after many
years the worm-eaten manuscripts were copied at
the instance of a Leipsic philologist who after-
wards returned them to the library. The author-
ities at Herrnhut were not aware of this fact
until 1885, three years after an edition of the work
had appeared in Paris, France. The mission-
aries and a few of the remaining Indians retreated
into the woods and effected their escape to Dem-
arara. where the Beitel family set sail for Europe,
in July, 1763. Heinrich Beitel departed this life
at Herrnhut. December 4, 1763.



^■sgo



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Of the children born to this worthy couple,
the following named came to North America —
John Renatus, Christian Frederick, and David —
the two former founded families, but the latter
remained single. John Renatus Beitel, the ances-
tor of Charles H. Beitel, on coming to this coun-
try was placed in a Moravian boarding school for
small boys in Frederick township, near the city of
Philadelphia, and four years later was transferred
to Macungie (now Emaus, Pennsylvania). On
November 14, 1752, he with seven other boys,
was removed to Bethlehem, and subsequently he
settled in Nazareth and was united in marriage to
Juliana Schmidt, a daughter of Melchoir Schmidt,
who was one of the first settlers of Nazareth,
Pennsylvania. Their children were — Christian
Frederick, born January 23, 1780, who became a
resident of Allentown, and died September 16,
1869; John born July 18, 1782, who settled at
Nazareth; Rosina, born March 5, 1786, died De-
cember 19, 1861, who was the wife of George
Hoehler, of Hanover, Pennsylvania ; Ann Eliza-
beth, born December 2, 1789, died April 4, 1859,
who was the wife of George Ricksicker, of Naz-
areth, Pennsylvania. John Renatus Beitel, the
father of these children, was a tailor of buckskin
garments. He lived to the extremely old age of
ninety-nine years, nine months and seven days.

John Beitel, the grandfather of Charles H.
Beitel, was born at Nazareth. Pennsylvania, July
18, 1782. He was the second son of John Renatus
and Juliana Beitel. He was a watch maker by
trade, and served as postmaster for a number of
years. He married Anna Magdalene Romig,
born at Emaus, in the year 1792, a daughter of
John F. and Elizabeth (Knauss) Romig. Their
children were — Josiah Oliver, Annabella, Will-
iam, Calvin, Ellen Augusta, and Mary Louisa
Beitel.

Josiah Oliver Beitel, eldest son of John and
Anna M. Beitel, born January 23, 181 1, was edu-
cated at Nazareth Hall, and became a practical
clock and watch maker and silversmith, which line
of trade he followed for many years, and in which
he achieved a large measure of success. At the
same time he engaged in the lumber business. He
was a musician of note, having been passionately



devoted to that art from boyhood to manhood,
and for a number of years he was a member and
trustee of the Nazareth Moravian church. Mr.
Beitel was united in marriage to Sophia Kern,
who was born June 24, 1814, a daughter of Chris-
tian and Maria Elizabeth (Bishop) Kern. Their
children are : Edward Cornelius, born October 7,
1834; James, born June 15, 1842, who was an
active participant in the Civil war ; Richard
Oliver, born November 2, 1844; Charles H., men-
tioned at length in the following paragraph ; and
Lewis Josiah, born January 13, 1851.

Charles Henry Beitel, fourth son of Josiah
Oliver and Sophia Beitel, was born November 12,
1846, at Nazareth, Pennsylvania. He acquired a
liberal education at the Moravian parochial school
of Nazareth, and his business career has been
devoted to teaching in the following named col-
leges and schools, his specialties being German,
music and drawing. He was an instructor at
Nazareth Hall from 1863 to 1868; at Mohegan
Lake School near Peekskill, New York, from
1868 to 1872; at Cornwall Heights School, New
York, from 1873 to 1876; was head master at
Burlington College in New Jersey in the year
1876 ; taught at Catasauqua in the public gram-
mar school from 1877 to 1880; at Trinity School,
Tivoli, New York, from 1880 to 1886; was gov-
ernor of the Friends' School at Providence, Rhode
Island, from 1886 to 1887; taught again at Trin-
ity School, from 1887 to 1891 ; and since 1892 he
has taught at Nazareth Hall, Nazareth, Pennsyl-
vania. He has also creditably and efficiently filled
the position of organist at the Nazareth Mora-
vian church for several years.

In 1872 occurred the marriage of Charles H.
Beitel and Catharine Tindall of Peekskill, New
York, daughter of John Tindall of Hastings, Eng-
land, and the issue of this union was the follow-
ing named children — i. Miriam Adeline, born
February 18, 1873, who is a graduate of Radclifife
College, Cambridge. Massachusetts, and at the
present time ( 1903) the head teacher in Latin and
Greek at the Cambridge Preparatory School for
Ladies at Cambridge, Massachusetts : 2. Blanche,
who died in infancy : 3. Edward Tindall, born
November 8, 1876, who died June 6, 1880.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



291



ADDISON GEORGE UNANGST. who as ,
proprietor of a furniture store in Nazareth, is
closely associated with the business development
of that borough, was born December 11, 1872.
The family is of German origin, and was estab-
lished in America by three brothers, Philip,
George Henry, and John Unangst, who left the
fatherland and settled in Pennsylvania at a very
early period in its development. The last named
located in Williams township, Philip in ]\Iount
Bethel township, and George Henry in Bethlehem
township, Northampton county. It was one of
these brothers who was the grandfather of Addi-
son George L'nangst.

In the common schools Addison G. Unangst
obtained his education, and was then sent to Beth-
lehem, where he continued his studies from 1886
until 1890. He then put aside his text books to
become a factor in active business life in a drug
store, but later entered the general store of his
father. There he remained until he had attained
his majority, when he and his father established
a furniture and carpet store. About this time the
country was involved in a financial panic, and
every one predicted that the new enterprise could
not long continue, but father and son gave strict
attention to their business, and through capable
management and straightforward methods they
secured a patronage which made the business
very profitable. In 1898 Addison G. Unangst
went to Pittsburg, where he entered a school in
order to learn the methods of embalming bodies,
as the firm intended to add an undertaking de-
partment to their store. This they did, and for
three years continued in business along that line,
but the increase in their furniture trade demanded
that they give their entire attention to that de-
partment. In 1897 the father died, and since that
time Mr. Unangst has had complete control of
the business.

In politics he is independent, keeping well in-
formed on the questions and issues of the day,
and has never sought or desired office. He is a
member of the Order of the Golden Eagles, and
he and his family are members of the Lutheran
church. He has traveled quite extensively in his
own country, especially throughout the west.



On the 25th of July, 1896. ;\Ir. Unangst was
married to Aliss Vestilla A. Moser, who was born
in 1873, a"d is a daughter of Aaron and Catherine
]\Ioser, the former a slate operator of IMoore
township. By this marriage there is one child,
George A., born June 20, 1897.

WILSON A. BUSS, who is proprietor of a
milk depot in Nazareth, was born in Lower Naz-
areth township, Northampton county, October 24,
1866. Several generations of the family have re-
sided in this part of the state, the establishment
of the family here antedating the Revolutionary
war.

Jonas Buss, the grandfather, was born in
Bethlehem township and having pursued a com-
mon-school education his attention was turned to
farming, which he followed until his life's labors
were ended in death. He married a ;\Iiss Wag-
ner, also a native of Bethlehem township.

Amandas Buss, the father of Wilson A. Buss,
was born on the old family homestead in Beth-
lehem township, in 1839, and at the uSual age en-
tered the public schools, therein mastering the
common branches of English learning. He, too,
followed farming as a life work, but in recent
vears has lived retired in the enjoyment of a
well earned rest, making his home in Nazareth.
When he became of age he removed to Lower
Nazareth township, and was there identified with
agricultural pursuits until he left the farm to take
up his abode in the town. He is a Republican in
his political affiliations, and he attends the Re-
formed church. His wife, who bore the maiden
name of Christiana Heller, and is now deceased,
was a daughter of Jacob Heller, who is living in
Nazareth. By this marriage there were born two
children, the daughter Ida living with her father.

Wilson A. Buss was a student in the township
schools in his boyhood days, and was thus pre-
pared to meet the responsible and practical du-
ties of life. He began farming on his own ac-
count after attaining his majority, and continued
the cultivation of his land until 1897, when he re-
moved to Nazareth, where he established a milk
depot, and is now conducting a large business.
He gives his political allegiance to the Republican



292



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



party, and he and his family attend the Lutheran
church.

Mr. Buss was married, in 1886, to Miss Tessie
Lowall, a daughter of Reuben O. Lowall, a
farmer of Lower Nazareth township. By their
marriage there are four children : Herbert, born in
January, 1888; Tuman, born in January, 1890;
Clarence, born in October, 1893 ; and Lela, born
in November, 1895.

CALVIN F. SMITH, who has achieved an
enviable reputation in the legal profession is an
energetic, useful and public-spirited citizen of
Nazareth, Pennsylvania, and is a native of East
Allen township, Northampton county, Pennsyl-
vania, the date of his birth being September 7,
1872. He is a son of Joseph H. and Sarah
(Miller) Smith, the former named having been
born in Moore township, in 1847, a son of John
Peter and Mary (Lichtenwalner) Schmidt.

Calvin F. Smith acquired his preliminary edu-
cation in the common schools of his native town-
ship, later was a student at the Keystone Normal
School, from which institution he was graduated
in 1892, and subsequently attended Palatinate
College, Myerstown, and Lafayette College. He
then took up the study of law in the office of Will-
iam Fackenthall, Esq., and after passing a credit-
able examination was admittted to the Northamp-
ton county bar on April 11, 1897. He immedi-
ately opened a law office at Nazareth, and enjoys
the distinction of being the first lawyer in the
town. He has since continuously practiced his
profession there, and being a man of fine intellect
and superior legal attainments, his clientele has
constantly increased in volume and importance
and is now quite lucrative.

For four consecutive years Mr. Smith served
as borough solicitor for Nazareth, has served as
solicitor for the directors of the poor of North-
ampton county for four years, and at the present
time (1903) is borough solicitor for the towns of
Stuckertown and Tatamy. He is also serving in
the capacity of president of the Nonpareil Brick
and Clay Company, solicitor of the Second Na-
tional Bank of Nazareth since its organization,
and secretary of the Greenwood Cemetery. In



religion Mr. Smith is a member of the Reformed
church, ill politics is an ardent supporter of the
principles of Democracy, and in fraternal matters
is affiliated with Whittield Lodge, No. 622, An-
cient, Free and Accepted Masons. In all matters
that pertain to the welfare and improvement of his
town, Mr. Smith takes an active interest, and it
is through his generosity and philanthrophy, and
that of R. F. Babp, Esq., that the land was don-
ated to the town for Washington Park.

On November i, 1898, Mr. Smith married
Ella Fink, daughter of Thomas Fink, of Lehigh-
ton, Carbon county, Pennsylvania. They are the
parents of one son, Thomas Joseph Smith.

ABRAHAM J. STOFFLET. Prominent
among the enterprising and successful business
men of Nazareth, Northampton county, is Abra-
ham J. Stofflet. He is descended, as his name
indicates, from German ancestry, and belongs to
a family which has been, for several generations,
resident in the county.

Abraham Stofflet, son of Henry and Sarah
(Biedlimann) Stofflet, was born in Plainfield
township, and was all his life numbered among
the farmers of that region. His political faith
was that of the Democratic party. He was a
member of the Reformed church. He married
Sophia Schmidt, and their children were : Eliza-
beth D., Sarah Yedder, Mary A., Peter H., Ben-
jamin J., Lizzie C, Reubana S., and Abraham J.,
mentioned at length hereinafter. • Mr. and Mrs.
Stofflet are both deceased. They exemplified in
their lives the principles of fidelity to duty and
kindness to all.

Abraham J. Stofflet, son of Abraham and So-
phia (Schmidt) Stofflet, was born April 8, 1861,
in Plainfield township, where he obtained his edu-
cation in the common schools. At the age of four-
teen he was employed as clerk in a general store
in Belfast, where he remained three years. The
next three years he spent at heme on the farm,
acting as assistant to his father. Feeling, how-
ever, a decided preference for mercantile over ag-
ricultural pursuits, he went at the end of that
time to Easton, where for ten years he held a posi-
tion as clerk with the firm of Bush & Bull, receiv-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



293



ing during that period an extremely thorough
equipment for a mercantile career. March 19,
1890, he came to Nazareth and there established,
at the comer of Centre and M streets, a general
store. His success may be inferred from the fact
that in 1899 he built his present commodious
store, in which he now conducts an extensive and
thriving business. Mr. Stofflet's talents as a
financier find exercise not only in the management
of his own large and constantly increasing com-
mercial transactions-, but also in other fields of
endeavor. He is a director of the Nazareth Na-
tional Bank, and was one of the organizers of the
Nazareth Canning Company. He belongs to the
I. O. O. F., and the Senior Order of American
Mechanics. He also affiliates with the Improved
Order of Red Men. In politics he is faithful to
the traditions of his family, adhering to the Dem-
ocratic party. He is a member of the Reformed
•church.

Mr. Stofflet married, January 24, 1884, Hen-
rietta, daughter of Valentine Uhler, and they are
the parents of the following children: Walter C,
Miriam, Morris C, Mamie S., and Julia. At the
same time that Mr. Stofflet erected his present
store he also built the desirable residence which
is now his home, and a centre of attraction for a
numerous circle of friends.

RUDOLPH F. BABP, president of the Sec-
ond National Bank of Nazareth, Xorthampton
county, Pennsylvania, of which he was one of the
organizers, is a successful business man, honor-
able, public-spirited, and philanthropic, and a de-
scendant of German ancestors who took up their
residence in this country in the latter part of the
eighteenth century.

He was born in Forks township. Northamptcn
county, Pennsylvania, June 20. 1841, a sen of
Aaron F. and Mary (Schweitzer) Babp, and
grandson of Abraham and IMagdalene Babp.
Aaron F. Babp. father of Rudolph F. Babp, was
a native of Forks township, Pennsylvania, and
after attaining young manhood followed the quiet
but useful calling of agriculture. In connection
with this pursuit he was the proprietor of Babp's
Hotel, which was a well known resort for many



years, and one of the best conducted houses in
that locality. His wife, Mary (Schweitzer)
Babp, was born in Palmer township, Northamp-
ton county, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Fred-
erick Schweitzer, and five children were the issue
of this union — Rudolph F. ; Mary Ann, wife of
Benjamin F. Schafifer, Abecina, deceased, who
was the wife of Edward C. Beitel ; Edna Emma,
and Laura, who died in infancy. Aaron F. Babp
died in 1844, and his widow was subsequently
married to Charles Hay, one child being born of
this marriage, Peter W. Hay.

Rudolph F. Babp was educated in the public
schools of Lower Nazareth township and the
Moravian parochial school of Nazareth. After
completing his studies he learned the trade of
harness maker, but he soon abandoned this line of



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 52 of 92)