John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 53 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 53 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


industry for the drug business, which he success-
fully followed for twenty years. Since attaining
his majority Mr. Babp has been a staunch ad-
herent of the principles of Republicanism, and
was chosen by that party to the postniastership of
Nazareth, in 1869, and by the conscientious and
prompt discharge of all duties incumbent upon
him retained the office until the autumn of 1885.
Mr. Babp was one of the organizers and was ap-
pointed president of the Second National Bank
of Nazareth, the building for which was erected
in 1900, and the bank was officially opened for
business in 1901. He was also one of the organ-
izers and is now serving in the capacity of vice-
president of the Nonpareil Brick and Clay Com-
pany. He was actively associated with the laying
out of the Greenwood Cemetery, and in company
with Mr. Calvin F. Smith donated the land for
the public park in Nazareth, which resort has
proved a source of pleasure and benefit to the
community, and has well repaid the donors for
their generosity and philanthrophy.

In 1861 Mr. Babp married Josephine Schaum,
a daughter of Samuel Schaum. of Plainfield town-
ship, and they were the parents of one child,
Adam Frederick, who died at the age of seven
months. The death of ]\Trs. Babp occurred in
1894. The following year Mr. Babp chose for his
second wife, IVIrs. Amanda L. Lazrus, the daugh-
ter of Solomon Decli and, a member of an old



294



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Northampton county family, and the widow of
the late Rev. George M. Lazrus, a Lutheran
clergyman, whose death occurred January 31,
1874. The Rev. George M. and Amanda L.
Lazrus were the parents of four sons and one
daughter — Jacob W. ; Newton C, who died in
February, 1903, aged thirty-nine years ; George
F., Luther D., and Elizabeth, who died in in-
fancy. JMr. Babp is a consistent member of the
Lutheran church, and contributes liberally both
of time and money to the work of the same ami
the various societies connected with it.

HARRY E. CLEWELL, now serving in the
capacity of justice of the peace at Nazareth, is one
of the enterprising, industrious and useful citizens
of Northampton county, Pennsylvania, and has
gained financial success through the exercise of
energy, enterprise, and business ability.

Jacob L. Clewell, grandfather of Henry E.
Clewell, was a native of Nazareth, Northampton
county, Pennsylvania. In early life, he learned
the trade of cabinet maker, becoming a skilled
mechanic in that line of business, and followed it
throughout his active career, meeting with a large
degree of success. He was a member of the
Moravian church, and a Democrat in his political
views. Jacob L. Clewell and his wife, Rebecca
Clewell, were the parents of four children — Henry
C, Jacob L.; Jr., Maria, and Lucinda Clewell.
The father of these children died in 187 1.

Flenry C. Clewell, father of Harry E. Clewell,
was born in Nazareth, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, June 19, 1826. His educational ad-
vantages were obtained at Nazareth Hall, after
which he learned the undertaking business, which
he successfully conducted up to the time of his
decease, which occurred November 3, 1897. He
was a member of the Moravian church, in which
he held the positions of trustee and elder. Politi-
cally he was a staunch adherent of the principles
of the Democratic party, and was elected a mem-
ber of the town council and of the school board.
He was united in marriage to Eliza Peysert, and
the following named children were born to them :
William, Caroline, Eugene A., Charles Henry,
Benjamin Franklin, died at the age of four years :



Robert O., died at the age of sixteen years ; and
Harry E. Clewell. Mr. Clewell died November

3. 1897-

Harry E. Clewell, youngest son of Henry C.
and Eliza Clewell, was born in Nazareth, North-
ampton county, Pennsylvania, August 8, 1866,
and acquired a good English education at the
Moravian parochial school. After completing
his studies he entered his father's undertaking es-
tablishment and thoroughly learned the details of
that business, and subsequently learned the trade .
of cabinet maker with his brother. He then filled
the position of teacher for one year, the following
year was employed in the office of the Bangor &
Portland Railroad and in 1893 engaged in the in-
surance business. He is also largely interested
in the buying and selling of real estate. He is the
representative of the Hartford, Continental, Na-
tional and Agricultural Fire Insurance Compan-
ies, the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company
and the United States Casualty Company. He
was elected justice of the peace in 1899, and his
administration of the office was so satisfactory
to the people that he was re-elected, and is now
serving in that capacity. He is a member of the
Moravian church of Nazareth, Pennsylvania. He
also holds membership in the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows.

G. A. SCHNEEBELI, a thriving and enter-
prising business man of Nazareth, Northampton
county, is descended on the paternal side from
Swiss ancestry. His father, Adolph Schneebeli,
married Amelia Engler, a native of Germany, and
in 1868 emigrated with his family to the United
States. He settled in Bethlehem, Northampton
county, where lie engaged in business as a
butcher. He and his wife were the parents of the
following children : G. A., mentioned at length
hereinafter; Lizzie, Bertha, M. W., R. E., and
A. L. The mother of these children died in 1894.
Some vears ago Mr. Schneebeli retired from bus-
iness. He is a member of the Moravian church.

G. A. Schneebeli, son of Adclph and Amelia
(Engler) Schneebeli, received his early education
in Germany. He was still a boy at the time of his
parents' removal to this country, and finished his



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



295



education at a school in Nazareth. He then
found employment in the coal region, entering
the service of Charles M. Dodson & Co., with
whom he remained nine years afterwards being
engaged for five years as a traveling salesman.
In 1886, in company with Louis F. Kraenicr, he
organized the Nazareth Waist Company, of Naz-
areth. The members, with commendable pru-
dence and foresight, began business in a very
very moderate way, and gradually enlarged
their establishment and sphere of action as cir-
cumstances seemed to warrant. They now occupy
three large brick buildings, in which six hundred
dozen waists are manufactured in a day, giving
employment to two hundred people. The propor-
tions to which the business has grown and the
successful manner in which it is conducted speak
volumes for the ability and integrity of the com-
pany, which is incorporated, with Mr. Loui-
Kraemer, as president, Mr. Louis F. Kraemer as
treasurer, and Mr. G. A. Schneebeli as secretary
and general manager. The last-named member
of the establishment, despite the demands of his
responsible position, is engaged in various other
enterprises in which his sagacity and executive
talent appear no less conspicuously. He was one
of the organizers of the Nazareth National Bank,
of which he is now vice-president. In 1899 he
was instrumental in building the Bethlehem and
Nazareth Street Railroad, and now holds the posi-
tion of vice-president of the company. In igoo
his energies were again employde in the same
department of municipal improvement, inasmuch
as he assisted in building the Slate Belt Street
Railroad, an enterprise with which he is still
connected in the capacity of president of the com-
pany. He holds the same office in the Nazarctii
Building and Loan Association, and was one of
the organizers of the Nazareth Water Company,
and also of the Dexter Cement Company. He is
secretary of the board of trustees of Nazareth
Hall. It may readily be supposed that so bus}- n
man as Mr. Schneebeli finds little time for social
relaxation, but he is, nevertheless, a worthy
member of the time-honored Masonic order. He
never forgets to be a good citizen, and in political



sentiments and affiliations is a true Republican.
He is a member of the Moravian church.

Mr. Schneebeli married, in 1878, Carrie E.
Schneider of Loyal Oak, Ohio, and two sons have
been born to them : Ellis C, who is a member of
the firm of G. A. Schneebeli & Company, lace
manufacturers, and Louis F., who died at the
age of four years.

SAMUEL R. ODENWELDER, who is now
living retired from active business life but is still
financially interested in enterprises in Nazaretli,
has always resided in the Lehigh Valley, and
belongs to one of the oldest families of North-
ampton county.

Far back in the eighteenth century two broth-
ers of the name left their home in Germany and
crossed the Atlantic to America, taking up their
abode in Northampton, county, where their de-
scendants have since been found. John Oden-
welder, a son of one of these brothers, was born
in Northampton county. The grandfather of
Samuel R. Odenwelder also bore the name 01
John, and his birth occurred in Williams town-
ship, Northampton county. He was a very large
man, weighing more than three hundred pounds.
By occupation he was a farmer, following that
pursuit throughout his entire life. In his faniily
were three sons, Daniel, Thomas, and Samuel.

The last named, Samuel Odenwelder, born in
Williams township, Northampton county, Octo-
ber 30, 1809, was reared on the home farm, and
when twenty-two years of age removed to a farm
in Bethlehem township, where he continued to
reside until death. He filled various local offices,
and the welfare of the community was promoted
through his practical and progressive efforts in
its behalf. His political support was given the
Democracy. He became one of the organizers of
St. John's church at Farmersville, Pennsylvania,
and formerly was a member of St. John's Re-
formed church at Easton. He served as deacon
and elder of the church at Farmersville, and as-
sisted in the building of the house of worship.
His wife, Mrs. Mary Odenwelder, was a daugh-
ter of Philip and Margaret L'nangst, of Williams



296



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



township. To Samuel and Mary Odenwelder the
following named children were born : Diana, who
died in infancy ; John, who died at the age of
eighteen years : Hiram, who died at the age of
sixteen years ; Levi, who died at the age of four-
teen years ; Philip, who died in infancy ; Cath-
erine, who was the wife of Isaac Frankenfelder,
and died in June, 1897; Owen, who was born
September 2, 1844, and is living in Bethlehem
township ; Samuel R., who was born January 23,
1847 ; Mary C, who was born January 20, 1849,
and is the wife of Jeremiah Kem, of Carbon
county; and Sarah Ann, who was born July 20,
185 1, and is the wife of Charles A. Kist.

Samuel R. Odenwelder spent his boyhood
days at farm labor upon the old homestead, and
in attendance at the district schools. At the age
of twenty-one he began teaching, and followed
that profession for a number of years. He then
learned the carpenter's trade, which he made a
source of livelihood for several years, after which
he resumed educational work, being for eleven
years connected with the schools of Nazareth,
which made rapid and satisfactory progress under
his guidance. He has since practically lived re-
ired, but is still a director in the Second National
Bank, of which he was one of the organizers. He
is also a stockholder in the Nazareth National
Bank. In matters pertaining to the progress and
welfare of the town he is deeply interested, and
his efforts have been far-reaching and beneficial
along lines of public improvement. He served on
the borough council for one term and was also a
school director for twelve consecutive terms. His
political allegiance is given the Democracy, and
he is a member of the Moravian church.

Mr. Odenwelder was married, September 12,
1872, to Miss Louisa Kreidler, of Nazareth, a
daughter of Edward and Mary ( Boyer) Kreidler.

DR. DAVID H. KELLER, chief burgess of
the borough of Bangor, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, where he has also gained an en-
viable reputation as an eminent and successsful
physician and surgeon, is a lineal descendant of
Joseph Keller, who was born in P.erano, near the
river Rhine, Germany, March 15, 1719, emigrated



to the United States October 31, 1737, and five
years later married E. Mary Drumm. They
erected a very small house, which would be con-
sidered a mere hut in these days, in the section
now known as Delabole, Plainfield township,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, and here
they labored incessantly for six days in the week,
but they remembered the instruction of the
Bible and rested on the seventh day. They were
the parents of the following named children :
Christian, born September 10, 1743; Anna M.,
born March 15, 1745 ; Henry A., born January i,
1747; Simon, born October 29, 1749; Joseph,
born January 15, 1751 ; John J. (i) born July 10,
1754; John J. (2) born March 22, 1757: and
Philip, born ]\Iarch 29, 1763. John J. Keller
( I ) was captured by the Indians, and nothing
was ever known of his whereabouts, so when the
next child was born he as named for the missing
son.

On September 15, 1757, while Joseph Keller,
the emigrant ancestor, was at work in the field
attending to his crops, the Indians appeared and
scalped the eldest son. Christian Keller, captured
the mother and John J., the remainder of the
children escaping in some miraculous manner.
The captives were carried to Montreal, where
they were in captivity for three years, and during
this period Mrs. Keller was bartered to some
French officers to act as a servant, but when the
English gained the ascendancy over the French
the prisoners were liberated, October 20, 1760,
among them being Mrs. Keller and her son.
Joseph Keller, fourth son of Joseph and Mary E.
Keller, took an active part in the Revolutionary
war. Joseph Keller, father of these children, died
September 17, 1800, aged eighty-one years, six
months and two days : his wife, Mary E. Keller,
died April 22, 1802, aged eighty-three years,
seven months and seven days.

Philip Keller, son of Joseph and Mary E.
Keller, was born three years after the return of
his mother from captivity, and was the youngest
of the family of eight children. He reccivetl an
excellent training during his early years, and
the precepts instilled into him by his parents
bore good fruit throughout the many years of his



%..5:^ '^ t- s




«f -w-x,-^^-««y^v.




,wr^^i5b>^^x



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



297



long and useful life. He married Sarah Miller,
■daughter of Henry Miller, and three children
■were the issue of this union — John H., born De-
cember 24, 1786; Jacob, born in 1788; and
Adam, born October 2'j, 1790, died in early life.
The mother of these children died in the year
1804, aged forty-one years. Philip Keller then
married Mrs. Susanna Engler, and they were
the parents of one child, Sarah, born October 5.
1807, died [March 17, 1856. Mr. Keller was a
prosperous farmer and one of the influential citi-
zens of the community. In 1826 he purchased a
farm along the banks of the Delaware river, to
■which locality he subsequently removed, and
there spent the remainder of his life. His death
occurred October 2, 1842, and his second wife,
Susanna (Engler) Keller, died December 4, 1859.
John H. Keller, son of Philip and Sarah Kel-
ler, was born December 24, 1786, attended the
■ common schools of the neighborhood, and sub-
sequently became a farmer and miller by occu-
pation. He accumulated a large amount of prop-
-erty both in his native township and in Crawford
•county, Ohio, whither he removed in the spring
•of 1856, accompanied by his family, which con-
:sisted of his wife, Mary (Engler) Keller, born
July 4, 1797, a stepdaughter of his father, and
•eight children, as follows : Philip, born January
■6. 1818 ; Anna, born March 31, 1820; Amos, born
November 10, 1822; Eli, born December 20,
1825; Joel F., born March 31, 1829; Aaron H.,
iDorn November 16, 1832: Joseph A., born IMarch
27, 1836, and Susanna, born June 12, 1840. • Mr.
Keller and three of his sons, Amos, Aaron H.
^nd Joseph A., enlisted their services in the Union
army during the rebellion and during that terrible
struggle they displayed the utmost bravery and
heroism. Mr. Keller was promoted to the rank
of captain and later to that of colonel, and Amos
and Aaron H. lost their lives in the defense of
their country at the battle of Stone River. Mr.
Keller was an active member of and filled many
important offices in the Reformed church. He
■also served in the capacity of justice of the
peace and notary public. His death occurred at
"his home in Crawford countv, Ohio. September



ID, 1867, and his wife passed away November
r8, 1884.

Eli Keller, son of John H. and Mary Keller,
was born near Plainfield, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, and up to the year 1843 was a
student in the schools of Easton, Pennsylvania.
In 185 1 he entered the IMercersburg Academy,
two years later became a student at Franklin
College, but subsequently returned to the former
named institution, where he pursued the study of
theology. In 1856 he was licensed as a minister
and ordained in June, 1856, in the Re-
formed church, and received his degree of
Doctor of Divinity from Ursinus College in
Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, in 1886. In
1874 the Rev. Eli Keller located at Zionsville,
Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, where he resided
up to 1901, and for a number of years was the
beloved and efficient pastor of the Zionsville Re-
formed church, but at the present time (1903)
is not engaged in any active pastorate, but occa-
sionally acts as supply for vacant pulpils. In
1857 he was united in marriage to Emma J. Hof-
feditz. daughter of the Rev. Dr. Hoffeditz, of
Nazareth, Pennsylvania. Their children, all of
whom were born in Ohio, are as follows : Sam-
uel, born May 8, 1858 ; Amelia, born July 29,
1859; David H., born June 9, 1861 ; Rev. Fred-
erick, born January 27, 1863 ; John C, born De-
cember 29, 1864; ]\Iary J., born August 19, 1866;
William A., born May 12, 1868, deceased: and
Idalette, born August 2, 1870, deceased.

Dr. David H. Keller, son of the Rev. Eli and
Emma J. Keller, was born in Bucyrus, Crawford
county, Ohio, June 9, 1861, and resided there
until 1S72. when his parents removed to their na-
tive state of Pennsylvania. For a number of
years he attended the Bellevue High School, and
in 1878 entered Perkiomen Seminary, and after
remaining there a short period of time spent one
year at Ursinus College. The following two
vears he pursued a course of medical reading in
the office of Dr. A. B. Greasmer, of Allentown,
Pennsylvania, after which he took a course in
dentistry and medicine at the University of Penn-
s^•lvania. From there he went to Columbus,



298



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Ohio, and continued his medical studies in the
office of Dr. WiUiam D. Hamilton, Professor of-
Surgery in Columbus Medical College, and this
college he subsequently attended and graduated
from with high honors in the class of 1882. In
the early spring of that year he located in Ban-
gor, Pennsylvania, and began practice here under
great difficulties, but, being possessed of the blood
and spirit of his sturdy ancestors, he soon over-
came all obstacles, and now has one of the largest
practices in the country, and is repeatedly called
into consultation by physicians in Easton and
other places in cases of a serious nature. For a
number of years he lived in a small building on
North Main street, but now resides in a hand-
some brick structure on Market street. In addi-
tion to his extensive private practice Dr. Keller
acts in the capacity of surgeon for the Delaware,
Lackawanna and Western Railroad, and is phy-
sician for the following named companies : the
Bangor Union Slate, the North Bangor Slate,
Bangor Excelsior, Bangor Southern, Bangor Su-
perior, American Bangor, Bangor Royal, New
York Slate Quarries and Real Bangor Quarry.
He was a member of the board of health for two
years, and consulting physician for the county
almshouse.

Dr. Keller is a stockholder and director in the
First National Bank, and president of the North
Bangor Slate Company. He has been a lifelong
adherent of the principles of the Republican
part}^, giving a loyal and strong support to the
candidates and measures advocated by them. He
served for nine years as a member of the school
board, and March 3, 1903, was elected for a term
of three years to the office of burgess of Bangor
by a handsome majority. No better evidence of
the esteem in which he is held by his fellow-citi-
zens and his great popularity need be shown tlian
the fact that he enjoys the distinction of being
the only Republican elected to the office of bur-
gess in Bangor in the past ten years. He is ac-
tive in lodge and society work, and is a member
of the following orders : Bangor Lodge, No. 565,
Free and Accepted Masons ; Bangor Chapter, No.
311, R. A. M. ; Hugh de Payens Commandery
No. 19, K. T., of Easton; Caldwell Consistory,



32d degree; Lulu Temple, A. A. O. M. S., of
Philadelphia; Prosperity Lodge, No. 661, I. O.
O. F., and the Patriotic Order of the Sons of
America ; Knights of Pythias ; Knights of Malta ;
Royal Arcanum ; and the Northampton County,
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania State and American
Medical Societies.

December 21, 1883, Dr. Keller married Katie
S. Hersh, only daughter of John G. Hersh, of
East Greenville, Pennsylvania. To this union
have been born three children — Florence Ger-
trude, born July 4, 1884, a student at Washington
Seminary, D. C. ; Irene Adele, born November
25, 1888, at Swarthmore College, Philadelphia;
and David H., Jr., born May 25, 1895. Dr. Kel-
ler is a prominent member of St. John's Re-
formed church, in which his wife and daughter
also hold membership.

HERMAN FREDERICK ZIEGLER, a
prominent citizen of Nazareth, Pennsylvania,,
comes of sturdy German stock, and in his success-
ful career has justified the hopes that drew his
forefathers from the fatherland.

George Ziegler, father of Herman, was bom
in Richtenhauser, Bavaria, Germany, March 19,
1822. When he was twenty-nine years old, and
after giving six years of his youth to service in
the German army, George Ziegler came to Amer-
ica. With his bride he took passage on the ship-
"South Haven," being thirty-three days on the
Atlantic, and landing in New York August 8,
185 1.. He crossed into New Jersey, and for a
few weeks turned his hand to anything that
offered livelihood. But he had been a carpenter
in the old country, and he wished to locate in
some favorable place and establish himself in his
trade. In October he took up his home in Naz-
areth, and engaged in carpentery and masonry.
He made a specialty of the laying of brick pave-
ments, and followed this line of work until his
retirement from business. His wife was Jennetta
Kuhn, whom he married in Holland, ]\Iav 4, 1851.
Six children were born of this union. The four
surviving members of the family are: i. Gustave,
of Milwaukee, Wisconsin ; 2. Max, a wheel-
wright, of Nazareth ; 3. Herman F., whose



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



299



career receives more than passing mention ; 4.
Mary, widow of Jeremiah Abel. Mrs. Jennetta
Ziegler died June 20, 1880.

Herman Frederick, son of George and Jen-
netta Ziegler, was born in Nazareth, December
18, 1857. He was educated in the Moravan
school of Nazareth. He served an apprentice-
ship of three years at the carriage painter's trade,
and worked nine years as a journeyman. He then
went to Philadelphia, where he remained for
three years, in 1892 becoming proprietor of a
restaurant. In 1903 he engaged in the wholesale
liquor business in Bethlehem. He served in the
borough council of Nazareth in 1901, and is a
director of the Second National Bank of Naz-
areth, and of the Nonpariel Brick and Clay Com-
pany. He is a member of Pilgrim Lodge, A. F.
& A. M., of Allentown ; of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, the Senior O. U. A. M., and of
the Knights of the Golden Eagle. He is a mem-
ber of the Moravian church, and a Democrat. For
twenty-five years he has had local celebrity as a
trombone player.

He married, February 5, 1890, Sarah Ellen,
daughter of William Smith, of Bushkill town-
ship. Two daughters, Annie Jeanette, and Carrie
Louise, were born of this marriage.

WILLIAM L. SHIMER. Among the self-
made men of Northampton county, William L.
Shimer occupies a leading position. He is a
grandson of John Shimer, a resident of Lehigh
county, where his son, Augustus E., was born, in



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 53 of 92)