John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 54 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 54 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Upper Milford township, May 17, 1810.

Augustus E. Shimer was reared on a farm.
and was all his life engaged in agricultural pur-
. suits, moving to Northampton county a few years
after his marriage. He was in all respects a
worthy man and a good citizen. Politically, he
was for many years an old line Whig, and later
became a Republican. He was an active member
of the Lutheran church, in which he served as
elder. He married Elizabeth, born near Wag-
nersville, Northampton county, daughter of
Abraham and Margaret (Liden) Shimer, and
their children were : William L., mentioned at
length hereinafter; Susanna Matilda; Abram



S., and Nathan G. The death of j\Irs. Shimer
occurred November 28, 1879, and that of Mr.
Shimer on March 17, 1881. Both possessed the
sincere respect and affection of all who knew
them.

William L. Shinier, son of Augustus E. and
Elizabeth (Shimer) Shimer, vi'as born October
8, 1834, in Upper Milford township, Lehigh
county, and received on the home farm a training
which prepared him to become the skilled and
successful agriculturist who has for so many
years been a leader among the farmers of the
county. It is in Northampton county that Mr.
Shimer has passed almost his entire life, his
parents having moved thither when their chil-
dren were young. In this county he now owns
five large farms, and ranks among the wealthy
farmers of this vicinity. He is an able financier,
and has held the office of director in several
banks. Mr. Shimer, although not active in the
political arena, is a public-spirited citizen in the
truest sense of the term, always seeking to pro-
mote by every means in his power the best inter-
ests of the community in which he resides. His
political principles are those of a staunch Repub-
lican. He was formerly connected with the Lu-
theran church, in which he held the office of trus-
tee, and is now a member of the Moravian
church.

Mr. Shimer married, December 4, 1856, Annie
Elizabeth, born January 24, 1833, in Lower Naz-
areth township, daughter of Jacob and Anna
Maria (Hummel) Heller. Mr. and Mrs. Shimer
were the parents of two sons : Oscar H., who was
born December 8, 1857, and died at the age of
two years ; and Albert L.. who was born February-
27, 1859, and is now a farmer. He married Edna,
daughter of Richard Knecht, and they have one
son, William K., who was born May 31. 1882,
was educated in Nazareth, Easton and Philadel-
phia, and now holds a position in the First Na-
tional Bank of Easton.

INIr. Shimer and the entire family were deeply
afflicted by the death of Mrs. Shimer, who passed
awav ]\Iav 7, 1900, mourned not only by her hus-
band and children but by the many friends who
felt her removal from their circle as a great per-



300



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



sonal loss to each one. Mr. Shinier some time
since retired from the active duties of his calhng,
but has not in any sense closed his career of use-
fulness and benevolence as a neighbor and a citi-
zen. On the contrary, his release from agricul-
tural labors has simply left him more at leisure to
indulge his keen interest in everything pertain-
ing to the welfare of his townsmen, and his ener-
getic and well-directed efforts for its advance-
ment have been in consequence redoubled.

JACOB A. FRAUNFELDER, M. D., known
to the people of Nazareth, Pennsylvania, as a
skilled physician and surgeon, comes of German
ancestry, and the professional success which he
has attained affords an instance of the excellent
use that German pluck has made of American
opportunities. Jacob, grandfather of Dr. Fraun-
felder, was a resident of Easton. He there mar-
ried one of his own countrywomen, and of the
•children that were born one was named Aaron.
Aaron Fraunfelder, son of Jacob, was born in
Easton. He received such education as the public
schools afforded at the time. He was engaged in
various occupations, being chiefly concerned with
milling. He was an esteemed citizen, and an
■elder in the Reformed church. He voted with
the Democratic party. He married Sabina, a
■daughter of Adam Heiner, of Plainfield township,
and of the union were born the following chil-
■dren : i. Mary Alice, who became the wife of Val-
•entine Uhler. 2. Amanda, who married Harry R.
Uhler ; 3. Margaret, who died at the age of three
years ; 4. Anna, who became the wife of James
Cole, and died in 1902 ; Jacob A., of whom a more
detailed account follows. Aaron Fraunfelder
died in 1899.

Jacob A., fifth child and only son of Aaron
and Sabina (Heiner) Fraunfelder, was born in
Easton, October 17, 1872. He was educated in
the schools of his native town, and showed such
aptitude in scholarship that a professional career
was determined upon for him. He attended the
College of Pharmacy in Philadelphia, from which
institution he was graduated in 1891. He after-
ward became a student of medicine in the office of
Dr. Price, of Philadelphia. He began the prac-



tice of his profession in Nazareth in 1896, and has
met with a gratifying measure of success. He is
a member of the Northampton and Pennsylvania
Medical Societies, and is a member of Whitfield
Lodge, No. 622, F. and A. M., as well as of the
I. O. O. F., and of the Knights of the -Golden
Eagle. He is a member of the Reformed church.
Like his father, his political sympathies are with
the Democratic party.

He married, October 17, 1901, Anna S.,
daughter of John W. Trumbower, of Nazareth.
They have one child, Anna.

HENRY KRAEMER. Prominent among
the successful business men of the borough of
Nazareth, Northampton county, Pennsylvania, is
Henry Kraemer, proprietor of the Nazareth Ho-
siery Mills, one of the leading industries of the
town, who by industry, enterprise, capability and
determination has attained a prominent position
in commercial circles, and whose name is synony-
mous with honorable transactions and strict integ-
rity. He was born in Westphalia, Germany,
March 14, 1859, a son of Karl and Caroline (Ad-
derhold) Kraemer. Karl Kraemer died when his
son, Henry Kraemer, was only eleven years of
age.

The educational advantages enjoyed by Henry
Kraemer were obtained in the high school of his
native town, and his first business experience was
gained in the employ of an export house in Ger-
many, where he remained for three years. In
1878 he came to America, and being of the opin-
ion that the western portion of the United States
was the best locality for business he accordingly
settled there. After being a resident there for
six months without being able to secure suitable
employment, he returned east and located in
Reading, Pennsylvania, where for seven years
he was employed by the firm of Louis Kraemer &
Co., and during this period he gained a vast
amount of practical experience which thoroughly
qualified him for the active management of busi-
ness. In 1887 he removed to Nazareth, Pennsyl-
vania, and established a mill for the manufacture
of full-fashioned hose for ladies and ribbed hose
for children. This industry, which conducts



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



301



business under the style of the Nazareth Hosiery
Mills, was a very small enterprise in the begin-
ning, but gradually the trade increased in volume
and importance, and at the present time (1903)
gives employment to two hundred and fifty hands,
the monthly pay-roll averaging seventy-five hun-
dred dollars. In October, 1902, the building was
almost totally destroyed by fire, but Mr. Kraemer
immediately rebuilt two three-story structures,
thirty-six by one hundred and forty feet, with a
dye-house in the rear of the premises, and the
plant is completely equipped with the most ap-
proved and modern machinery. It has a capacity
for manufacturing a thousand dozen hose per day,
and these, being of the highest quality and work-
manship, find a ready market in all parts of the
L^nited .States.

From time to time Mr. Kraemer became con-
nected with various financial and commercial en-
terprises, in the conduct of which he came to be
recognized as a careful and sagacious associate.
He is a director of the Nazareth National Bank,
and also a director of the Nazareth Water Com-
pany. He is a trustee of the Reformed church of
Nazareth, in which he has held membership for
many years. He is a Democrat in politics, has
served four terms on the school board, and has
acted in the capacity of treasurer of the same for
ten years. He is now serving an appointment as
prison inspector of Northampton county. i\Ir.
Kraemer is an honored member of Whitefield
Lodge, No. 622, Ancient, Free and Accepted
Masons.

In 1884 Mr. Kraemer married Annie Mack, of
Berks county, Pennsylvania, a descendant of an
honored German ancestry. Their children were :
Louisa, Carl, Emma, W'illiam, and Elsie, who
died December 12, 1902, at the age of four years.
Mrs. Kraemer passed away April 22, 1903, and
her demise was sincerely mourned not only by her
family but by her many friends and acquaintances.

ROBERT L. SIEGFRIED. Prominent
among the representative citizens and successful
business men of Nazareth, Pennsylvania, is Rob-
ert L. Siegfried, who was born in Bushkill town-
ship, Northampton county, Pennsylvania, De-



cember 18, 1872, a son of Joseph W. and Maria
(Saylor) Siegfried.

The Siegfried family, which is of German ex-
traction, claim as their emigrant ancestor Joseph
Siegfried, a brother of the famous Revolutionary
hero, Colonel John Siegfried. Joseph Siegfried
(i) and his wife, Anna Maria (Romig) Sieg-
fried, a native of Northampton (now Lehigh)
county, Pennsylvania, reared a family of chil-
dren among whom was a son Isaac Siegfried.

Isaac Siegfried (2), great-grandfather of
Robert L. Siegfried, was born in Berks county,
Pennsylvania, September 14, 1763. By following
his trade of millwright he was forced to change
his place of residence to various portions of the
state, but he finally settled upon a farm near the
town of Nazareth which he operated extensively,
in addition to pursuing his trade of millwright.
He was united in marriage to Anna JVIaria Hoch-
stresser, who was born April 19, 1771, the cere-
mony taking place in Schoharie county, New
York. Both were members of the Dutch Re-
formed church, and their deaths occurred, respec-
tively, November 6, 1833, and December 2, 1831.
Their children were Joshua, Paul, Joseph, Sam-
uel, Elizabeth Catherine, Anna Maria, and Solo-
mon Siegfried.

Paul Siegfried (3), grandfather of Robert L.
Siegfried, was a native of Northampton countv,
Pennsylvania, his birth having occurred there
June 24, 1793. He was a loyal and public-spir-
ited citizen, and during the war of 1812 betweeen
America and Great Britain he enlisted his services
as a drummer boy, and in that capacity served
throughout the entire conflict. He married and
reared a family of children, among whom was a
son, Joseph W. Siegfried.

Joseph W. Siegfried (4). father of Robert
L. Siegfried, was born in Bushkill township,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, in April,
1831. After completing his education in the com-
mon schools, he turned his attention to learning
the trades of miller and millwright, which was his
means of livelihood until 1881. He then located
at Cherry Hill, Northampton county, and estab-
lished a general mercantile business which he con-
ducted up to the year of his death, 1889, and



302



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



which 3-ielded him a handsome income. Mr. Sieg-
fried was never ambitious for pubHc distinction
nor a seeker after office, yet he was frequently
called upon to fill various local offices. He was a
member and trustee of the Moravian church at
Schoeneck, Pennsylvania. He married Maria
Saylor, who was born at Jacobsburg, Northamp-
ton county, in 1834, and died in 1891. Their chil-
dren were James F., William, Emma L., de-
ceased ; Oscar, deceased ; Charles P., Howard J.,
and Robert L. Siegfried.

Robert L. Siegfried (5), youngest son of Jo-
seph W. and Maria Siegfried, acquired an ex-
cellent English education in the public schools of
Bushkill township. He began his business life in
the employ of his father, and after remaining
with him for a period of three years, during which
time he became thoroughly familiar with the vari-
ous details of the work, his father retired from
active pursuits, and the business was then man-
aged by Robert L. and his brother, William A.,
who entered into a partnership which continued
until 1896. In that year Robert L. Siegfried dis-
posed of his interest in the business, removed to
Nazareth, and there established his present busi-
ness, which consists of a general line of dry-goods
and groceries. Under his excellent management
and personal supervision the business has in-
creased to a large extent, and his efforts are now
rewarded by the success he so richly deserves.
He is a member of the Moravian church, and his
political affiliations are with the Democratic party.
He is a member. of the Senior Order of United
American Mechanics.

Mr. Siegfried married, September 26, 1896,
Dora ( iiersch, a daughter of Albert C. Giersch, a
prominent resident of Bushkill township. Their
children are Joseph Albert, and Mary Eleanor
Siegfried.

JOHN J. HARTZEL, one of the representa-
tive citizens of Nazareth, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, who by his patient, persevering ef-
fort, industry and economy has accumulated a
sufficient competence to allow him to retire from
active business pursuits and enjcy a well earned
rest, is a worthy descendant of a family who have



made their home in this section of the State since
the first settlement of the family in America. He
was born in Belfast, Northampton county, Penn-
sylvania, February 27, 1845, ^ son of Jacob S.
and Susanna (Rothrock) Hartzel, and grandson
of John Hartzel.

John Hartzel (grandfather) was born on the
old homestead, which was situated near the town
of Farmersville, Northampton county, this being
the same property on which his ancestors resided
for many years. During his early manhood he
followed the occupation of farming in the vicinity
of his birth place, but later removed to Hecktown,
where he erected a substantial and commodious
residence and engaged in mercantile pursuits. He
was an honorable, upright man of a quiet and
retiring disposition, and was greatly esteemed and
honored in the community. He was a member of
the Reformed church. He married Catherine
Schweitzer, and they reared a family of four chil-
dren — Jacob S., father of John J. Hartzel ; Eliza-
beth, who was the wife of Jacob Knight, of Phil-
adelphia, Pennsylvania ; Judith, who was the wife
of Henry Heckman of Dansville, New York ; and
Mary, who was the wife of Joseph Fenemaker.
John Hartzel, father of these children, died at the
age of sixty-nine years.

Jacob S. Hartzel (father) was born in the
vicinity of Hecktown, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, in 1823. He was reared on the
farm and acquired an excellent education in a
school at Easton, Pennsylvania, which was under
the personal supervision of Dr. Vanderveer.
Shortly after his marriage to Susanna Rothrock,
daughter of John Rothrock, he removed to Plain-
field township, and in the vicinity of Belfast
erected a distillery which he conducted until 1864.
He then located in the town of Nazareth, where
he also built a distillery, and this line of industry
he continued to follow until 1864, when he re-
tired from business. For a number of years he
operated the two plants, which yielded him a
liandsome income, but finally he disposed of the
one located at Belfast. Mr. Hartzel was a mem-
ber of the Reformed church, and his political af-
filiations were with the Democratic party. Jacob
S. Hartzel and his wife, Susanna (Rothrock)



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



303



Hartzel, were the parents of five children — Alary,
John J., Anna, wife of Stephen Kickline of Eas-
ton, Pennsylvania ; Susan, deceased, who was the
wife of Alfred A. Seem; and Emma, wife of
Thomas Seem. Jacob S. Hartzel died in 1891 ;
his wife died in 1881.

In the old Moravian school at Nazareth, Penn-
sylvania, John J. Hartzel, only son of Jacob S.
and Susanna Hartzel, obtained an excellent Eng-
lish education which thoroughly qualified him for
a career of usefulness. His first business experi-
ence was gained at Nazareth, Pennsylvania,
where for two years he engaged in mercantile
pursuits. Later he adopted the brewing and
bottling business as a means of livelihood, but
finally abandoned this industry to engage in agri-
cultural pursuits, and throughout his entire ca-
reer he has been straightforward and honorable
in his dealings. He is an honored member of the
Moravian church of Nazareth, and his political
allegiance is given to the Democratic party.

In 1870 Mr. Hartzel married Clarissa Boer-
stler, who was born in Nazareth, Pennsylvania,
daughter of Philip Boerstler, who was a son of
John Boerstler, and a descendant of an old and
prominent Northampton county family. Their
children are : Emily F., and Jacob H., who is en-
gaged as teller in the Second National Bank of
Nazareth.

REV. ASA E. ERDMAN, of Nazareth, Penn-
sylvania, who was ordained to the work of the
gospel ministry at Allentown, Pennsylvania, May
3, 1877, and is now serving in the capacity of pas-
tor for four churches of the Lutheran denomina-
tion near Nazareth, Northampton county — St
Peter's, at Miller; the Evangelical Lutheran at
Belfast : Trinity, at Wind Gap ; and Jehovah, at
Bushkill Center — is a son of Elias and Sarah Ann
(Eisenhart) Erdman, and was born in Copper
Saucon township, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania,
June 27, 1853.

Elias Erdman (father) was a son of Jacob
Erdman, and he was also a native of LTpper Sau-
con township, Lehigh county. Pennsylvania, the
year of his birth being 1825. Elias Erdman was



a farmer by occupation, and by industry and care-
ful management his broad acres yielded a plenti-
ful harvest, and he was enabled to provide a com-
fortable home for his family. His wife, Sarah
Ann (Eisenhart) Erdman, was a daughter of
Benjamin Eisenhart, a prominent citizen of Le-
high county, Pennsylvania, and she bore him the
following named children : Asa E., mentioned at
length hereinafter; Jacob Benjamin, died at the
age of twelve years ; Kate Caroline. Mr. Erdman
died in 1877 and his wife also passed away.

Asa E. Erdman accj[uired his preliminary edu-
cation in the public schools of Upper Saucon
township, pursued his collegiate studies at Beth-
lehem Academy, Bethlehem ; at Muhlenburg Col-
lege, Allentown, graduating from the latter named
institution in 1874, and at the Lutheran Seminary
at Philadelphia, from which he was graduated in
1877. His ordination occurred at Allentown,
Alay 3, 1877. In 1889 he pusued a special course
in theological study at the Divinity School of Yale'
College, New Haven, Connecticut. His first pas-
torate was in the Plainfield parish, where he has
since been in charge, and during more than a
quarter of a century he has faithfully and effi-
ciently inculcated in the minds of the people the
blessed teachings of his Master. In 1883 he or-
ganized the Pen Argyl congregation which has
since become an independent parish ; he also or-
ganized the Wind Gap congregation, which is
now under his control in addition to the St.
Peter's, Jehovah, and L^ion congregations. Rev.
Mr. Erdman is a man of marked individuality of
character, a fluent and forcible speaker, and his
upright and noble characteristics make his daily
life an example and power for good in the com-
munity. He was for a time interested in the Pen
Argyl Index and also published the Lutheran
Echo. Politically he is a staunch advocate of
the principles of Democracy, and not unmindful
of his duties as a citizen. For a number of vears
he served as school director of Nazareth. Fra-
ternally he is a member of Whitfield Lodge, No.
622, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons.

On February 19. 1885, Rev. Asa E. Erdman
was united in marriage to Clara \'irginia Wint,



304



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



daughter of Ferdinand and Susanna (Kidd)
Wint, of Catasauqua, Lehigh county, Penn-
sylvania.



OLIVER R. DESHLER. The field of busi-
ness is limitless, its prizes are many, and yet
comparatively few who enter the "world's broad
field of battle" come oS victors in the struggle
for success and prominence. This is usually due
to one or more of several causes — superficial
preparation, lack of close application, or an un-
wise choice in selecting an avocation for which
one is not fitted. The reverse of all these has
entered into the prosperity and prominence which
Mr. Deshler has gained as a representative of
the industrial manufacturing interests of Bangor.
He was thoroughly trained for the pursuit which
he has always followed and in which he embarked
as a young man, and his native talent and ac-
quired abilit}' seem to have especially fitted him
for this business, the manufacture of high hall
clock cases and piano trusses.

Mr. Deshler is descended from one of the old
families of the Lehigh valley. His grandfather,
David Deshler, was a man of the highest respec-
tability who enjoyed the full confidence of his fel-
low citizens. To him and his wife Sophronia
were born three children: i. Tilghman. 2. Sarah,
wife of Solomon Kline, of Allentown, and they
have four children — Elmina, Charles, Emma, and
Amanda. 3. Reuben Deshler, the father of our
subject, who was born in Cedarville, Pennsyl-
vania, in 1832. He became a blacksmith, and
in addition to the conduct of his shop he owned
and operated a small farm. He was a good me-
chanic, but is now living retired. His wife bore
the maiden name of Henrietta Ritter, and to
them were born four children : Charles D., Henry
D., Emma D., and Oliver R. The mother de-
parted this life in 1877.

Oliver R. Deshler was born at Emaus, in
Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, May 26, 1861, and
was reared and educated in his native town. In
early life he learned the cabinet-maker's trade in
Easton, Pennsylvania, to which city he removed
in 1880. there spending eight years. In 1888 he
went to Phila(lel]ihia, where he spent less than a



year. Returning then to Easton, he entered
the employ of W. J. Daub, with whom he re-
mained for a year and a half. In 189 1 he re-
moved to Belvidere, New Jersey, where with his
brother, Henry D., he entered into the wholesale
and retail furniture business, being successfully
engaged in that way for nine years. In 1901 he
came to Bangor, and began the manufacture of
tall hall clock cases and piano trusses, in addition
to the slate industry. In this he was associated
with J. S. Moyer, but the slate work proved detri-
mental to the wood working business of I\ir.
Deshler, and in the following year (1902) he
built and equipped his present plant. He uses a
forty-two horse-power engine, together with a
sixty horse-power boiler, and thirty-seven men
are employed in the works. The business herein
conducted amounts to thirty thousand dollars per
annum, and the capacity will allow an increase
to sevcnty-tive thousand dollars. Already Air.
Deshler has become widely known as the pro-
prietor of this manufactory, and is building up a
business which is increasing steadily to a most
gratifying extent.

Mr. Deshler does not, however, confine his at-
tention wholly to this work, for he is also a large
stockholder in the Pahaquarry Copper Company.
The properties of the corporation comprise fee-
simple title to 1,602 acres of valuable copper lands
in Pahaquarry township, Warren county. New
Jersey, more than three and one-half miles in
length, and with an average width of about a half
mile. The many copper bearing veins run the
entire length of the property, outcropping nearly
five hundred feet above the Delaware river, at an
angle of forty-five degrees. Calculations show
fifteen or si.xteen million tons of ore, containing
nearly four million pounds of copper, without
going below the water level. The mines were
rudely developed by the Dutch and Intlians as
early as 1660, and the product was carried over
a wagon road cut through the forest for more
than one hundred miles to Esopus (now Kings-
ton), whence it was shipped to Holland for treat-
ment. The mines were purchased by the .\lle-
ghenv Mining Comjiain- in 18(12, but were not
adequately worked, and were subsequently ahan-






'4jLilsu\ ,



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



305



cloned. In recent years it was discovered that the
mines had been worked only to a limited extent, ,
and that they still contained an abundance of
ore — in fact, a greater quantity than had ever



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 54 of 92)