John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 55 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 55 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


been dreamed of. In 1902 the property was pur-
chased by Mr. Deshler and his brother, Henry D.
Deshler, and they are the largest stockholders in
the Pahaquarry Copper Company, of which O. R.
Deshler is president, and H. D. Deshler is secre-
tary. They are now erecting buildings and in-
stalling a new plant with a capacity of two hun-
dred tons per diem, and expect to have the same
completed before the expiration of the present
year (1904). The Pahaquarry Copper Com-
pany also ow-ns in fee simple two hundred and
fifty acres of valuable mineral property on the
east slope of Blue Alountain, near the great oiT-
set at Tott's Gap, Pennsylvania, which contains
well defined veins of gold and silver bearing
rock assaying from a few dollars to $36 per ton —
the same class of rock as is found at Leadville,
Colorado. A tunnel of one hundred and forty feet
has been driven across several veins, and the
property will soon be developed.

November 12, 1881, occurred the marriage of
Mr. Deshler and Miss Carrie A. Balliet, who was
born September 26, 1863, in Emaus, Lehigh
count}-, Pennsylvania. To them have been born
eight children: i. George Oliver, born May 12,
1884. 2. Harry Herbert, born January 9, 1886.
3. I\Iay Knauss, born November 22, 1887, died
April 28, 1892. 4. Edna Naoma, born June 19,
1890. 5. Walter Balliett, born :\Iay 13, 1892. 6.
Ruth Olive, born March 27, 1894. 7. Dorothy Al-
bertha, born July 29, 1896. 8. Beatrice Ellen,
born August 16, 1899.

Mr. Deshler is a member of Belvidere Lodge,
I. O. O. F., also belongs to the encampment, and
is a past chief officer in both branches. He is
likewise a member of the grand lodge of the state
of New Jersey, and holds membership relation
with the Woodmen. He stands to-day as one of
the representative business men of Northampton
county — strong in his honor and good name,
strong to plan and to perform, and now success-
fully controlling interests of considerable magni-
tude in the business world.
20



REV. LUTHER D. LAZARUS, pastor of
St. John's Lutheran church of Nazareth, was born
in Ouakertown, Bucks county, Pennsylvania,
February 11, 1874. His paternal great-grand-
father, Daniel Lazarus, resided in Schoenersville,
Pennsylvania, wdiere occurred the birth of his
son, George Lazarus, in 1800. He was a farmer
by occupation, following that pursuit throughout
his entire life. He held membership in the Lu-
theran church and he gave his political support to
the Whig party until the organization of the new
Republican party, when he joined its ranks. He
died in 1882. His wife, who bore the maiden
name of Elizabeth Miller, was a daughter of
James ^liller, of \^^eaversville, Northampton
county, and their children were Reuben, Henry
D., George M., William, and Elizabeth.

Rev. George M. Lazarus, father of Luther D.
Lazarus, was born in Shimerville, Pennsylvania,
May 26, 1839. He pursued his education in the
academy at Weaversville, Pennsylvania, and in a
school conducted by Professor Gregory, at Allen-
town. He was afterward instructed by the Rev.
Jacob B. Rath, the first pastor of the Lutheran
church at Nazareth, and, determining to devote
his life to the work of the ministry, he entered the
Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia
in 1864, and was graduated in 1867. The same
year he was ordained at Reading, Pennsylvania,
and immediately afterward accepted the pastor-
ate of the Lutheran church at Ouakertown, also
having charge of what was known as the Keller's
and Applebachsville congregation. He devoted
his labors to the building up of these churches un-
til his death, which was occasioned by a runaway
accident, January 31, 1874, while he was on his
way to attend a funeral, his remains being in-
terred in Fairview cemetery in Allentown. In
connection with his duties as pastor, he taught at
the academy in Quakertown for some time. He
was also a member of the school board, and took
a very active and helpful interest in educational
matters. His political support was given to the
Republican party, for he believed it the duty as
well as the privilege of every American citizen
to exercise his right of franchise in support of the
measures which he believes will promote the wel-



3o6



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



fare of city, state and nation. He was married,
October 7, i860, to Miss Amanda C. Dech, and
they became the parents of five children: Jacob
W., born in 1861 ; Newton C, born in 1863 ;
EHzabeth A., who was born in 1867, and died the
same year; George F., born in 1869; and Luther
D. The mother, subsequent to the death of her
first husband, became the wife of R. F. Babp, of
Nazareth, Pennsylvania.

Rev. Luther D. Lazarus was born in Quaker-
town, Bucks county, F'ennsylvania, February 11,
1874. In the spring of that year his mother re-
moved to Allentown, Pennsylvania, where he
pursued his early education in the public schools.
He was afterward graduated from Muhlenberg
College at Allentown, in 1895, and his preparation
for the ministry was completed by graduation
from the Theological Seminary at Mount Airy,
Philadelphia, in 1898. On the 6th of June, of
that year, he was ordained as a minister of the
Lutheran church, and became assistant pastor
of Trinity church, at Reading, Pennsylvania,
where he continued until December 31, 1901. On
.the 1st of January, 1902, he became pastor of St.
John's Lutheran church at Nazareth, where he is
. now located. His political allegiance is given to
the Republican party.

Rev. Lazarus was married, October 12, 1898,
to Miss Caroline H. Weil, a daughter of Frank
W. and Sarah (Wenner) Weil, of Allentown.
By this marriage there are two children : Frank
Weil, born March 11, 1900; and Catharine Weil,
born August 7, 1903.

JAMES WILLIAM CRIST, deceased, a son
of John Jacob and Jistina (Knaugs) Crist, and
f,:r many years a well known and prominent citi-
zen of Nazareth, Pennsylvania, was born in that
town on May 11, 1809. He was an important fac-
tor in business circles, and won success in his
chosen line of trade by exercising unbending in-
tegrity, unabated energy and an industry that
never flagged.

John Jacob Crist, father of James W. Crist,
was born in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, June 3,
1781, a son of John Jacob Crist. John J. Crist,
Jr., after completing a common school education,



learned the trade of hatter, and throughout his
entire business life pursued that vocation. He
was united in marriage to Jistina Knaugs, who
was born in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, March 31,
1785, a daughter of Samuel Knaugs. Three chil-
dren were the issue of this union — Richard,
Amelia, and James William. John J. Crist, father
of these children, died at his home in Nazareth,
November 3, 1861 ; his wife survived him a few
months, passing away January 12, 1862.

At the early age of twelve years James W.
Crist entered his father's hat shop, where he
gained a thorough knowledge of the trade in all
its branches, and later he and his brother, Rich-
ard Crist, succeeded to the business. After suc-
cessfully conducting this enterprise for a number
of years, James W. Crist established a hat busi-
ness on his own account, and located on the site
of the present Nazareth National Bank. Subse-
quently he entered into partnership with Mr.
Daniels in the slate business, being connected
with the first slate quarry that was operated in
the United States, the same being known as the
Daniels quarry. This business proved so suc-
cessful and remunerative that after conducting it
for several years he was enabled to retire with a
handsome competence which amply provided both
himself and family with all the comforts and
many of the luxuries of life. He was a man of
more than ordinary intelligence and discernment,
and much credit is due him owing to the fact that
he was self-educated. He possessed a natural
mechanical genius and skill, and for pastime he
erected a machine shop in which he produced
many ingenious devices. Mr. Crist held member-
ship in the Moravian church of Nazareth, and
took a keen and active interest in the work con-
nected with it. His political affiliations were with
the Republican party.

On November 24, 1S53, Mr. Crist married
Elizabeth Daniels, who was born in Lower Naz-
areth township, Northampton county, Pennsyl-
vania, October 6, 1823, a daughter of Adam and
Catherine (Wagner) Daniels. One daughter was
born of this union, Clara Amelia, whose birth oc-
curred in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, September 5,
1854. She was educated at Linn Hall and Beth-



i




it^^^^At^^r



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



307



lehcin Seminary, and, on August 6, 1S86, be-
came the wife of James Henry Knapp, who was
born in Hopewell Center, New York, July 29,
1S27. The issue of this union was one daughter,
Mary Daniel Knapp, born ]\Iay 31, 1888. Mr.
Knapp was also the father of another daughter,
JMargaret Knapp, born to him by a former mar-
riage with Mary J. Daniel. Mr. Knapp was an
agriculturist by occupation, and conducted exten-
sive operations in his native state until 1892,
when he removed to Nazareth, Pennsylvania, and
there continued the same industry up to the
time of his decease, which occurred May 11, 1897.
During the terrible struggle between the north
and south, Mr. Knapp was an employee of the
United States government. He was reared in
the Methodist church, but during the latter years
of his life held membership in the- Moravian
church ; in politics he was a Republican. James
W. Crist died at his residence in Nazareth, Penn-
sylvania, May 27, 1892, having survived his wife
only twenty-two days, she having passed away
May 5, 1892. They were esteemed and respected
in the comnumity, and their deaths were sincerely
mourned by a large circle of friends and ac-
quaintances.

EAL\NL)EL F. VENTER. Prominent among
the representative citizens of Nazareth, Pennsyl-
vania is Emanuel F. Venter, who for more than
forty years has been actively and prominently
identified with the business interests of the city,
whose name is synonymous with truth and in-
tegrity, and who bears an enviable reputation
among his associates. He was born at Cherry
Hill, Northampton county, Pennsylvania, Novem-
ber 15, 1840, a son of Henry and Theresa (Rader)
Venter.

Henry Venter (father) was a native of Prus-
sia, the date of his birth being January 4, 1795.
His educational advantages were obtained in the
schools of his native country, and upon attaining
young manhood he began the manufacture of
woolens, conducting an extensive and lucrative
trade for many years. In 1834 he decided to test
the business opportunities of the United States,
and upon his arrival located first in New York



city, later removed to Nazareth, Pennsylvania,
and for a short period of time resided in the city
of Philadelphia. He returned to Nazareth, and for
a number of years prior to his death was engaged
in farming and trucking, being quite successful
in the management of his new enterprise.

Henry Venter was united in marriage to Ther-
esa Rader, whose father came to this country
with General Lafayette, in 1777, served during
the Revolutionary war, and after the cessation of
hostilities returned to his native country, where
he spent the remainder of his days. Twelve chil-
dren were the issue of this union, five of whom
died in childhood. The members of the family
who attained years of maturity are : Caroline, de-
ceased, who was the wife of John Gramlich ; Au-
gusta, deceased, who was the wife of Francis
Echman ; Ellen, the widow of August Nitchie ;
Henrietta, deceased, who was the wife of John A.
Flammer; Emma, deceased, who was the first
wife of August Nitchie ; Emanuel F., mentioned at
length in the following paragraph ; and William
G., who was bcrn October 8, 1844. The last
named learned the trade of tinsmith and is em-
ployed at this occupation at the present time
(1903). During the Civil war he was a member
of Company A, One Hundred and Fifty-third
Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; he
is a member of the Moravian church, a Democrat
in politics, and has been elected by that party to
serve as a member of the town council and board
of trustees. Fraternally he is a member of the
Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, the Grand
Army of the Republic, and the Knights of the
Golden Eagle. William G. Venter married
Emma Ettwein, and they are the parents of two
children — Harry, and Hattie, wife of William
O'Neil.

Emanuel F. Venter, eldest surviving son of
Henry and Theresa Venter, was a student at the
parochial school at Nazareth, Pennsylvania,
where he received a good English education. He
then served a two and a half years apprenticeship
with Mr. Henry Schultz at the tinsmith trade,
became an expert mechanic, and for a number of
vears subsequent to his apprenticeship was em-
ployed by Mr. Schultz as a journeyman. In 1862



3o8



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



he purchased from his employer the interest and
good will of the business, and from that date up
to the present time (1903) has been engaged in
the stove, hardware and tinsmith trade in the city
of Nazareth, Pennsylvania. He has conducted his
business in an honorable and straightforward
manner, thus deserving the financial success
which has crowned his well directed efforts.
Politically Mr. Venter is a Democrat, and fra-
ternally he is a member of the Knights of St.
John and Malta. He was a member for years of
the town council, the board of Moravian trustees,
the board of Home Missions, and the board of
the Nazareth Water Company.

On May 19, 1870, Mr. Venter married Cor-
nelia J. Cope, daughter of Jacob Cope, of Lehigh
county, Pennsylvania. Three children were the
issue of this union, the eldest of whom died in
infancy. The surviving members of the family
are : Charles E., engaged with his father in busi-
ness, and Constance A., wife of the Rev. Frantz
Zeller, pastor of the Moravian church. Mr. Ven-
ter and his family are members of the Moravian
church of Nazareth, Pennsylvania.

LEWIS F. KLEPPINGER, a retired car-
riage manufacturer of the borough of Lehigh-
ton, Pennsylvania, where for many years he has
been one of its respected and useful citizens, is
the youngest child of Lewis Kleppinger, who was
born in Northampton county, January 16, 1790,
and died in 1842. He attended the common
schools adjacent to his home, and upon attaining
young manhood chose the occupation of farming
for his life work. This proved a profitable
source of income, and he became the owner of
three productive farms which he eventually di-
vided among his children, seven in number, who
were born to him by his wife, Barbara (Harmon)
Kleppinger, daughter of George Harmon, a
farmer of Northampton county, Pennsylvania.
The children were David, Sarah, Thomas, Jose]3h,
William ; Rebecca, who married John I\L Hower,
of Northampton county, and Lewis F.

Lawis F. Kleppinger was born in Northamp-
ton caunty, Pennsylvania, December 15, 1834. He
was reared and received his educational advan-



tages at Cherryville, Northampton county, after
which he removed to Bath, the same county,
where he learned the carriage making business.
He worked at various places at the bench as a
journeyman up to i860, in which year he located
at Weissport, where he engaged in business on
his own account. He was beginning to realize
some profit from this enterprise when the great
freshet of 1862 occurred, and this catastrophe
completely destroyed his entire plant. He then
decided to remove to higher ground, locating in
Lehighton, where he continued in the business
of manufacturing carriages for twenty-five con-
secutive years, two years of which time he had a
branch shop in Mauch Chunk. During a period
of eight years he engaged in the livery business in
conjunction with his other line in Lehighton, and
about the year 1888 he abandoned the carriage
building trade and devoted his entire time up to
1895 to the livery business. He then was the
proprietor of a hotel for four years and was very
successful in the management of the same, but
at the expiration of this period of time was com-
pelled to retire from active business life on ac-
count of failing health.

Mr. Kleppinger was united in marriage in
1 86 1 to Amanda E. Beaver, daughter of Reuben
and Priscilla Beaver. Having no children of their
own, they adopted a daughter. Miss Lizzie Beck.
The family are members of the Lutheran church,
in which body Mr. Kleppinger serves in the ca-
pacity of deacon.

Mrs. Amanda E. Kleppinger is a great-grand-
daughter of John Beaver, a German by birth, who
was the father of two sons, John and Conrad. The
latter named was the grandfather of Mrs. Klep-
pinger, and his wife, Catherine (Beiry) Beaver,
bore him three sons — Henry, a carriage maker
by trade ; Solomon, a tanner : and Reuben, a
farmer, he having followed in the footsteps of
his father. Reuben Beaver, father of Mrs. Klep-
pinger, was born in 1808, and died in 1881. He
was a prosperous resident of Northampton
county, but several years prior to his death lived
in retirement in the borough of Bath. He served'
in several township offices, including that of jus-
tice of the peace. He hekl membership in the



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



309



Lutheran church, and served as a member of its
board of deacons. His wife, PriscJlla Beaver,
born in 1812 and died in 1887, bore him four
■children — Angehne, deceased; Amanda E., men-
tioned above as the wife of Lewis F. Kleppinger,
the only surviving member of the family, who is
now in possession of the Beaver property, which
has been owned by the family for over one hun-
dred years ; Lizzie J., deceased ; and William
Beaver, who lost his life at the age of twentv-
one years while serving as second lieutenant in
the One Hundred and Fifty-Third Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He was a
graduate of Weaversville Academy, and was
preparing himself for a life of usefulness and
promise at the time when the L'nited States gov-
ernment was on the eve of drafting men to serve
in the Civil war. In order to avoid the humilia-
tion of being drafted he importuned his parents
to allow him to volunteer, which he accordingly
■did, and lost his life as above stated.

LEVI HORN, of Weissport, Pennsylvania,
is an energetic and capable business man, and in
Iiis chosen line of work has achieved not only a
large degree of financial success, but has won for
himself an enviable reputation as an expert me-
chanic. He is a native of the city in which he
now resides, the year of his birth being 1848, and
lie traces his ancestry to one of the old and hon-
ored families who settled in the Mahoning Val-
ley at a very early date, subsequently removing to
Lehigh ton. Carbon county.

John Horn (great-grandfather) was a native
of Germany, and during his active business ca-
reer followed the occupation of butcher in con-
nection with agricultural pursuits. He was hon-
•orable and upright in all his transactions, pos-
sessed all the dignity and courtesy of the old
school gentleman, and therefore had a wide circle
of friends and acquaintances. By his marriage
there were born to him the following named chil-
dren : John, Thomas, Christian, Casper and
Jacob.

Christian Horn (grandfather) was born on
the Atlantic ocean, while his parents were mak-
ing the voyage to America. His boyhood days



were passed in the jMahoning Valley, where he
acquired a thorough English education, but upon
attaining man's estate he removed to Lehighton,
and at once began his active life work. He served
an apprenticeship at the trade of butcher, which
line of industry he followed fcr a period of years,
and he was also proprietor of a hotel. During
those early days it required a large amount of
courage to conduct the latter named line of busi-
ness in the Lehigh Valley, and Air. Horn had
several encounters with hard characters, but al-
ways came out of the difficulty the victor. He
was the owner of considerable land, farmed ex-
tensively for a man of his day, and wielded a wide
and beneficent influence in the communitv. By
his first marriage he became the father of nine
children, namely: Charles, George, Lewis, Har-
mon, John, Rebecca, Hattie, Sarah and Leah.
His second wife, Polly (Fisher) Horn, of Dan-
ville, Pennsylvania, bore him four children :
Amanda, Mary, Eliza and Maria. Two of his
children are living at the present time (1904):
Mrs. Snyder and Mrs. Culton. Christian Horn,
the father of these children, died at the age of
sixty-two years.

Lewis Horn (father) was born at Lehighton,
Pennsylvania. After acquiring a common school
education, he devoted his attention for several
years to building, but subsequently changed his
occupation to that of farming, and, being indus-
trious and energetic, both pursuits proved a re-
munerative means of livelihood. He was the in-
cumbent of several township offices, this fact
being a sufficient evidence of the esteem in which
he was held by his fellow citizens. ]\lr. Horn
was twice married. His first wife, whose maiden
name was Miss Lentz, bore him two children,
Ella and Susan, the last named now deceased.
His second wife, Charlotte (Snyder) Horn, of
Lehigh Gap, bore him the following named chil-
dren : Mary A., Levi, Emma, Sevilla, Ida, Lewis,
George, Garrett, and Miles, the two last named
being deceased.

Levi Horn, eldest son of Lewis and Charlotte
( Snyder) Horn, was reared and educated in his
native town, Weissport, and in his early manhood
followed farming, and later became interested in



3IO



HISTORIC HOMES AND IXSTITL'TIOXS.



bridge building and general contracting. This
proving a congenial and profitable line of work,
he has continued to follow it to the present time,
being now one of the most extensive contractors
in that section of the count}'. He has always
taken a keen and active interest in local politics,
has held several township offices, and in 1894 was
chosen as the county treasurer, the duties of which
responsible and onerous position he discharged
with credit to himself and his constituents. He
holds membership in the Junior Order of United
American Mechanics, and the Independent Order
of Red JNIen.

Mr. Horn was married in 1869 to Miss ]\Iartha
Snyder, daughter of Cornelius and Amelia Sny-
der. Their children are : Gertrude, wife of Mr.
Strausberger, and mother of one child, Mark
Strausberger ; Warren, who married Emma Ger-
man, who bore him one child, Helen Horn ;
Mamie, wife of Howard Arner ; James ; Bessie ;
Lottie, deceased, and an unnamed infant. The
family are connected with the Evangelical church.

WILLIA:\I S. KOCH, one of the enterpris-
ing and well known citizens of Lehighton, Carbon
county, Pennsylvania, resides on a farm of sixty
acres which is located south and west of the bor-
ough, but running beyond the borough limits.
He is a native of Lower Saucon township, North-
ampton county, Pennsylvania, having been born
in the year 1848, a son of Daniel and Mary
(Stahl) Koch, and grandson of a Mr. Koch, who
was a native of Germany.

Daniel Koch (father) was born in North-
ampton county, Pennsylvania. He was a con-
tractor by occupation, and in addition to this line
of industry he devoted considerable time and
attention to the burning of lime and the cultiva-
tion and operation of an extensive farm. He was
a worthy and public-spirited citizen in all respects,
possessed rare ability and good judgment, and
through his instrumentality there were a number
of fine macadamized roads built throughout the
county. By his marriage to Mary Stahl there
wore born eight children, all of whom are living
at tlu- present time (■T904") : Milton Isborn, Will-
iam S., Elizabeth, Catherine, Marv, Amanda and



Amelia. The family are members of the Metho-
dist Episcopal church, William S. Koch serving
as a member of the board of trustees.

William S. Koch was reared in his native
county, acquired an excellent education in its
common schools, subsequently learned the trade
of cigar maker, and in 1876 removed from thence
to Lehighton, Carbon county, where he followed
his trade up to 1886, at which date he moved to
his present residence. At first he directed his at-
tention to dairying on a somewhat extensive scale,,
equipping his dairy with twenty-four cows of a
choice breed, and the product therefrom he dis-
pensed to the many customers who patronized his-
milk route. After conducting this business for
two years he gave up the milk route, and until
1899 shipped the product of his dairy to the mar-
kets of Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania. In that
years he rented his farm and dairy, and since



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 55 of 92)