John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 57 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 57 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Lockwood.

William C. McCormick (father) was born in
New Jersey, March 23, 1834. He was reared and
educated in his native town, and in 1851 removed
with his father to Carbon county, Pennsylvania,
where for a period of time he was engaged in the
himber business. Subsequently he confined him-
self to the trade of millwright for a number of
years, and in both these occupations he achieved
a large degree of success. During the dark period



of the Civil war, when his country was in sore
need of courageous men, he enrolled as a private,
March 16, 1864, in Company G, Third Regiment
Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, which was at-
tached to the Army of the James. He was soon
promoted to the rank of commissary sergeant, and
was later commissioned as second lieutenant by
Governor Curtin, but as no opening appeared
before his discharge in November, 1865, he never
served as such. He had been honored with elec-
tion to many offices in the township previous to
his removal to Lehighton in 1876, and during his
residence in that borough he held the offices of
councilman and president of the school board,
and was a member of the Cemetery Association.
During twenty-six years of his residence in Le-
highton he was engaged in the manufacture of
emery wheels. He is past master in Lehighton
Lodge, No. 621, Free and Accepted Masons, and
past post commander of Lehighton Post, No.
484, Grand Army of the Republic.

On August 20, i860, William C. McCormick
was united in marriage to Elizabeth Arnold, who
was born in Monroe county, Pennsylvania, ]\Iay
28, 1832, and died August 27, 1880. Their chil-
dren were : Agnes, deceased ; James, deceased ;
Thomas, deceased ; William, chief of police of
Lehighton ; Edwin, foreman for the Lehigh Val-
ley Railroad Company at Packerton ; ]\Iary E.,
David, Amanda A. and Ann, deceased. On De-
cember 22, 1881, Mr. McCormick married Emma
E. Christman, and the issue of this union was two
children : Lillian and Ella McCormick.

David McCormick, fifth son of William C.
and Elizabeth (Arnold) McCormick, was born
in Carbon county, Pennsylvania, April 21, 1873.
He was reared and educated in his native town,
and like the majority of boys took an active part
in various pursuits. He always manifested a
tendency for newspaper work, which was con-
genial to his tastes and inclinations, and like
most men he succeeded in the line of work in
which he took the deepest interest. In t888 he
entered the employ of Corporal O. P). Sigley, of
Mauch Chunk, F'ennsylvania, who edited a paper
in that town. After completing his apprentice-
ship he was employed as a journeyman in the city



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



317



of Philadelphia for one year, after which he re-
turned to Mr. Sigley, and became his foreman
and local reporter. After serving in this capacity
for two years he was proffered a position as fore-
man of the Lchightoii Press, and this he filled for
a period of three years. With his varied experi-
ence as journeyman, reporter and foreman, com-
bined with a firm determination to succeed, he
purchased the entire outfit of the Lehighton
Press, November 16, 1896, and became its pro-
prietor and editor. The paper has a circulation
of about three thousand copies, and is a ten and
often a twelve sheet paper, and since 1896 the cir-
culation has trebled that which it was before he
became its editor. The plant is equipped with
both gasoline and electric motor power, has facil-
ities for job printing that can not be surpassed
by a larger plant or in a town of more dense popu-
lation. Mr. IMcCormick was the first to introduce
the type setting and folding machine in Carbon
county. He is a past master in Lehighton Lodge,
No. 621, Free and Accepted Masons, a past com-
mander of J. D. Bertolette Camp No. 95, Sons of
Veterans, and a member of other organizations.
Mr. ■\IcCormick was married, October 14,
1896, to Bertha Hollenbach, daughter of Elias F.
and IMary Hollenbach, and their children are
Robert D. and ]\Iary E. j\Ir. JMcCormick is a
zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and has served as assistant superinten-
dent and librarian of the Sunday school con-
nected with the same, filling the latter named
office for fifteen consecutive years with much
credit to himself and the school.

CAPTAIN SOLOMON YEAKEL, of
Weissport, is a descendant of David Yeakel, a
native of Germany, and a member of the society
known as the Schwenkfelders, so called in honor
of Caspar Schwenkfeld. David Yeakel emigrated
to America in 1734, establishing his home in
IMontgomery county, Pennsylvania, his farm also
extending into the lower part of Lehigh county.
He was the father of eight children, six sons and
two daughters : Christopher, Abraham, Balthasar,
Jeremiah, Hans Heinrich, Caspar, Susan and
Resina. Balthasar Yeakel was born in 1713, and



died January 28, 1762. His wife, who bore the
maiden name of Barbara Warmer, and was born
November 24, 1737, passed away February 25,
1808. Their children were : Susanna, Anna,
David, George, Caspar and Caspar, there being
two of that name. Caspar Yeakel, the next in line
of direct descent, was born January 6, 1748, and
died on the nth of July, 1804. He married Anna
Yeakel, a daughter of Christian Yeakel. Their
marriage occurred August 10, 1775, and, long
surviving her husband, she passed away on the
nth of ]\Iay, 1838. Their children were: Baltha-
sar, JNIaria, Jeremiah, Esther, Regina, Elizabeth,
Susanna, Abraham, Benjamin and Anna.

Abraham Yeakel, the next in direct line, was
the father of Captain Solomon Yeakel, and was
born in Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, Au-
gust 28, 1790. He was a millwright by trade,
and one of the best mechanics of his day. He
took an active interest in public affairs, was a
stanch Whig, and because of his opposition to
slavery he assisted in the conduct of the "under-
ground railroad" service. He was married April
17, 1814, to Aliss Sarah Miller, and his death
occurred October 27, 1865; his wife, also de-
ceased, was born May 10, 1793. They were the
parents of the following named : Edward, Joseph,
Anna, Hiram, Maria, Levi, Nimrod, Solomon
and Sarah.

The maternal grandfather of Captain Yeakel
was i\Iichael Miller, who was a native of Ger-
many, and became one of the pioneer settlers of
Berks county. He learned the cooper's trade and
followed it for many years, but in later life be-
came blind. His family numbered seven chil-
dren : Adam, Michael, Henry, Sarah, Hannah,
and two whose names have not been learned.

Captain Solomon Yeakel was born in Lehigh
county, Pennsylvania, November 22, 1828, and
was reared and educated in that locality. After
putting aside his text books he learned the trades
of a millwright and a miller, and followed these
pursuits for about twenty years. In 1853, at-
tracted by the discovery of gold in California, he
made his way to the Pacific slope, where he re-
mained for about five years, or until 1858, during
which time he was engaged in mining. At the



3iS



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



time of the Civil war, however, he put aside all
business and personal considerations enlisting in
the army, in which he fought bravely for the de-
fense of the Union. He was slightly wounded in
an engagement, and he participated in many im-
portant battles, including the seven days' fight
before Richmond, Malvern Hill, Chantilly, Harp-
€r's Ferry, Sandy Hook, Antietam, Chancellors -
ville, Salem Heights, Banks Fort, Gettysburg and
]\Iine Run. He was honorably discharged on the
expiration of his three years" term of service,
April 23, 1864. Having faithfully served in de-
fense of the old flag, his meritorious conduct and
valor upon the field of battle won him promotion
to the rank of captain. After his return from
the war he resumed work at his chosen pursuit,
which he followed in Lehigh county, until 1879,
when he came to Weissport, where he has since
made his home. Here he turned his attention to
the manufacture of lumber, and continued in that
business until about 1896, when he retired from
active life and has since enjoyed a well merited
rest.

Captain Yeakel was married to Miss Amandf.
Allbright, a daughter of John Allbright, on the
23d of June, 1866. She died Feljruary 18, 1894,
leaving two children. The daughter, Laura A.,,
whose birth occurred January 24, 1868, passed
away October 24, 1884. The son, Asher A., borTi
February i, 1870, married Ella Snyder, and i:-
now an employe of the Lehigh Valley Railroad
Company.

R. FRANK GOULD, general yard master
and general forwarding agent for the Lehigh Val-
ley Railroad Company at Packerton, Pennsyl-
vania, has had a wide and varied experience as a
railroad man, and this fact is a guarantee for his
competency in filling his present position of trust
and responsibility. While not a college bred man,
Mr. Gould has studied men and observed events
as they have changed and passed before the foot-
lights of the stage of time, and in this manner has
secured a fund of useful and valuable informa-
tion which is essential in the majority of profes-
sions and occupations adopted by men.

He was born in Castile, Wyoming county.



New York, September 30, 1858. He was reared
and educated in his native place up to the year
1870, when he entered the service of the Erie
Railroad Company at Hornellsville, New York,
as a call boy. In 1875, at the age of seventeen
years, he was promoted to the office of assistant
yard master at East Buffalo, New York, and
the following year was promoted to the position
of passenger conductor, with a run from Buffalo
to Elmira, New York. He was the incumbent
of this office up to 1882, when he resigned in
order to accept the position of general yard mas-
ter with the Detroit, Lansing & Northern Rail-
road, and was located at Ionia, Michigan. In
December, 1884, he resigned this for the position
of train master with the Chicago & Western In-
diana Railroad, and was stationed at Chicago,
Illinois. In 1886 he resigned this for a position
as general yard master with the Chicago and At-
lantic Railroad at Huntington, Indiana, and in
the fall of 1889, resigned this in order to accept
a similar position with the Chesapeake & Ohio
Railroad at Covington, Kentucky. In 1898 he
was engaged in the same capacity with the Great
Northern Railroad at Minneapolis, Minnesota,
and on October i, 1899, he resigned this for his
present position, which he has filled to the entire
satisfaction of the Lehigh Valley Railroad
Company.

In his life of thirty-four years of railroading
he has passed through many accidents, but was
only severely injured once, when he was struck
by engine No. 720, while standing on the platform
at Lehighton. This incapacitated him for active
service for several weeks, during which time he
was confined in a hospital. W'hile in the employ
of the Erie Company he had a collision on the
Buffalo Division, and in October, 1881, he ex-
perienced a rear-end collision at Griswold, New
York, in wliich twenty-four j.iersons were killed
and fifty-two injured, besides burning the station
and part of the train. Since he has been employed
at Packerton, Pennsylvania, he has organized and
inaugurated what is known as the Lehigh \"allcy
Hospital Association, of which he is president.
This was put in operation in 1901. and serves tiic
purpose for which it was intended, a hospital on



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



319



wheels. ]\Ir. Gould is a member of the Order of
I'iailroad Conductors ; Lafayette Lodge No. 35,
Xnights of Pythias, the Uniformed Rank at
Charleston, West Virginia ; Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, No. 82, at Montgomery, West
Virginia; Thomas Wildey Encampment, No. 141,
•at Montgomery, West Virginia ; and the Frater-
nal Order of Eagles, at Lehighton, of which he is
worthy vice.

Mr. Gould was united in marriage, August 28,



1888, to Rachel C. Handwork, of Huntington,
Indiana, and their children are : Harry R., born
April 4, 1892 ; and Edna R., born August 15,
1893.

HARRY T. PETERS, who follows mer-
chandising in Parryville, is connected with the
business that has long been conducted under the
name of Peters, it having formerly been the prop-
-erty of his father, Jacob Peters. Representatives
of the name have long been known in the Le-
.high Valley, the family having been established
here at an early day. The ancestors of Mr.
Peters were prominent in the growth and devel-
opment of this part of the state, aiding in laying
the foundation for the present prosperity and
progress in their respective communities. Henry
Peters, the grandfather, was a native of Carbon
■county, and in early life learned the blacksmith's
trade, which he followed in connection with farm-
ing. He possessed excellent mechanical ability,
and as an agriculturist he likewise won success.
He married Miss Hannah Balliet, and to them
Avere born eleven children : Hyman, now deceased ;
"William, Jacob, Joseph, Charles, Cornelius, La-
"vina, Matilda, deceased ; and two who died in
infancy.

Jacob Peters, the father, was born in Lower
Towamencin township, Carbon county, in 1834,
and was reared and educated in East Penn town-
ship. In early life he engaged in clerking for a
short time, during which period he became ac-
•qnainted with methods of merchandising, and in
1862 he opened a general store in Parryville, but
the freshet of that year swept away his entire
stock, thus causing him great losses, as it did to
Ihe other settlers of the localitv. Fortunatelv for



him, however, he had a new supply of goods
upon the way, being brought by canal. It had
reached Easton about that time, and through
friendly efforts was saved from destruction. With
this supply and goods which he secured else-
where, Mr. Peters began business life anew, de-
termined to retrieve his lost possessions. Here
he continued to sell goods for many years, his
patronage constantly increasing, and he stood
high in the regard and favor of his fellow men,
who recognized the correctness of his business
principles and his fidelity to the ethics of com-
mercial life. He continued in the trade until
the 1st of April, 1903, when he was succeeded
by his son Harry, and he is now living a retired
life in Allentown, Pennsylvania, enjoying the
well earned fruits of his former toil. While in
Parryville Jacob Peters filled various offices of
trust. He was chief burgess of the borough, a
member of the town council, a school director,
and was also postmaster for twenty-four years.
He was a conscientious member of the ]\Ietho-
dist Episcopal church, gave valuable assistance
to the organization in its various lines of activity,
and was superintendent of the Sunday-school for
twenty-six years. He also filled the office of
church trustee, and took an active part in present-
ing the gospel to the people of the community,
having been authorized by the quarterly confer-
ence to fill the office of local preacher. He is a
member of the Patriotic Order of the Sons of
America, and his political allegiance is given to
the Republican party.

In 1862 Jacob Peters was united in marriage
to ]\Iiss Elizabeth Torbert, of White Haven, Penn-
sylvania, and to them have been born the fol-
lowing named : Harry T., Beulah B., who was
born in 1866 ; and Guy H., born in 1878. The last
named is superintendent of the Steel and Wire
Company of Cleveland, Ohio, while the daughter
is the wife of C. L. Miller, general superinten-
dent of the home concern.

Harry T. Peters, who was born in Parryville,
in 1864, was reared and educated in his native
borough. After graduating from the home school
he entered the seminary at Kingstown, Pennsyl-
vania, and was graduated in that institution with



320



HISTORIC HOMES AND . INSTITUTIONS.



the class of 1882. Subsequently he was employed
as a commercial traveler, first selling drugs, and
afterward representing a wholesale grocery house
upon the read. P'ive years of his life were spent
in that pursuit, during which time he gained an
accurate knowledge of mercantile methods, and
on the expiration of that term he returned to his
father's store in Parryville, where he remained
as an assistant up to the time of his father's re-
tirement, when he took entire charge of the store,
which he is now capably conducting, being recog-
nized as one of the leading merchants of the
place. He is wide-awake and progressive in his
business methods, nor is he remiss in citizenship,
and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth
and ability, have frequently called him to public
office, so that he has exerted considerable influ-
ence in public affairs in his community. He has
been chief burgess of the borough of Parryville,
justice of the peace, councilman and auditor, and
in all of these positions he has discharged his
duties with marked promptness and fidelity. He
likewise held the office of mercantile appraiser
of Carbon county in 1900.

Mr. Peters is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church, which he is now serving as a
trustee. He belongs to Lehighton lodge, No.
621, F. and A. M ; Lilly Chapter, No. 181, R. A.
M. ; and Packer Commandery, No. 23, K. T. He
is popular in business, church and social circles,
and is a man in whose judgment and integrity his
fellow citizens have implicit confidence.

In 1889 Mr. Peters was joined in wedlock to
Miss Meta M. Hummel, a daughter of William
H. and Matilda Hummel, of Kreidersville,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania. They have
one son, Clark T. Peters.

R. S. CORRELL, the leading general hard-
ware merchant of Pen Argyl, is a descendant of
an old family of Pennsylvania. His parents were
Joseph and Catherine (Laudenshlaker) Correll,
the former born in Northampton county, Penn-
sylvania, in 1817, the latter in Allentown in 1816.
Th.e father was a farmer by occupation, and lived
a life of activitv and honesty. He owned and



operated one hundred and fifty acres of land
on Chestnut Hill, and afterward removed to
Hackettstown, New Jersey, where he died in
1891. His wife passed away in 1880. In their
family were nine children : Eliza, deceased ; Til-
man ; Edwin, deceased ; Joseph ; Alfred ; Ella,
who has passed away ; Richard, Lydia and Mary.

R. S. Correll was born at Chestnut Hill,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, in 1853, and
when a lad of about nine years accompanied his
parents to Hackettstown, New Jersey, where he
was reared and educated. In 1872 he became a
resident of Allentown, Pennsylvania, where he
learned the tinsmith's trade, and when his term
of apprenticeship had expired he removed to
Hunterdon county, New Jersey, locating in Leb-
anon. After following his trade there for about
three years he went to Jersey City, where he con-
tinued until he took up his abode in Pen Argyl in
1882. He was the first hardware merchant at
that place, and began business in a small store
room, but with the growth of the town and the
development of his enterprise had to seek more
commodious quarters, and is now proprietor of
the largest hardware store in his section of the
county. In 1884 he took possession of a large
new brick business block, three stories in height,
erected of pressed brick. It contains two store-
rooms, forty-six by seventy-three feet, one of
which is used for his regular hardware stock, and
the other for the accommodation of his extensive
line of stoves. In 1888 he erected another brick
building now occupied by the postoffice. It is
two stories in height, and these structures add
much to the modern improved appearance of Pen
Argyl. Mr. Correll is widely recognized as one
of the most enterprising citizens of his borough,
and has done much to develop the town along
substantial lines. He enjoys a growing patron-
age in his business, and has the confidence of the
public.

Mr. Correll was united in marriage in 1S84 to
Miss Mary B. Redley, of Lebanon, New Jersey,
who died in 1893, leaving two children, Clarence
and Harold. In 1897 Mr. Correll married Miss
Cora J. Van .Sickle, of Lebanon, New Jersey.





-r^-r^^CC.



4



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



321



They are both nienibers of the Presbyterian
church, in which 3ilr. Correll has held the office of
deacon, and he also belongs to Pen Argyl Lodge,
No. 594, F. and A. JM.

JAMES A. REX, a resident of the borough
of Lehighton, and a descendant of one of the old
and well known families of the Lehigh vallev,
was born January 6, 1859, in the locality where
he still makes his home.

He was reared and educated in his native
town, attending the common schools, and first
began earning his living by working as water
boy in connection with the construction of the
public works of Lehighton. He was afterward
employed by Lewis Graver in the manufacture of
brick, and subsequently went to Packerton as
switch boy in 1872. He spent three and a half
years at the switch, and was then promoted to
the position of brakesman in 1875, his run being
between Packerton and Easton. The same year
he was transferred to the Furnace run, and con-
tinued to act as a brakesman until 1878, when he
was promioted to the position of conductor, act-
ing as both regular and extra conductor between
Packerton and Easton. In 1880 he was made
yardmaster at Shecklus, where he remained until
1883. In that year he was transferred to the
Lehigh and Susquehanna bridge at Lehighton as
assistant yardmaster, and in 1889 was stationed
at Packerton as yardmaster. On the 20th of
December, 1904, he was transferred to the east-
bound middle yard, which position he now fills
in Lehighton. His business career has been
marked by a steady advance, his promotion com-
ing to him in recognition of his capability and
fidelity.

Mr. Rex was united in marriage to Miss
Mary A. Sunderman, who was born September
21, 1859, a daughter of Henry and Susan .Sunder-
man, of Berlinsville, Pennsylvania. The marriage
was celebrated November 13, 1880, and has been
blessed with two children, but Raymond A., is
now deceased. The living daughter is Ada Pearl.
Mr. and Mrs. Rex were members of the Lutheran
church, in which he has held the office of deacon
for six years. He also belongs to the Knights of

21



j\Ialta, to the Equitable Insurance Association,
and to the Lehigh \'alle_\' Relief Association. He
owns his own comfortable home, which he erected
in 1896, and he is a man whom to know is to
respect and honor.

D.\XIEL C. WEST, justice of the peace at
Lansford, Pennsylvania, was born at Honey
Brook, Carbon county, Pennsylvania, May 7,
1859. His parents were Lewis and Alary A.
West, the latter of whom was a native of Bloom-
ingdale, Carbon county, Pennsylvania ; both are
now deceased. The father was a stone mason^
by trade, and always followed that pursuit in
order to provide for his family, numbering his
wife and two children, Margaret Ellen and
Daniel C.

The latter named was reared and educated at
Summit Hill, and his youthful days were spent in
and around the mines of that town. Later, how-
ever, he turned his attention to railroading, and
in the employ of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation
Company remained for twenty-two years. He
worked his way upward from the position of
brakeman to that of engineer, and his absolute
fidelit}" to the company which he represented is
indicated by the fact of his long continuance in
its service. During the first years of his connec-
tion therewith he was disabled by an accident
which resulted in a broken leg. During the strike
of 1902 he was laid lofif, and has not been em-
ployed b_\- the company since. He was prominent,
however, in bringing the strike to a terniinatior.
and was a delegate to the Wilkcs-Barre conven-
tion, where he voted for the return of the em-
ployes to work.

Mr. West was long resognized as an activ
worker in the ranks of the Republican party in
his community, and was one of its popular and
ardent supporters. He has served as school di-
rector for six years, and at one time was presi-
dent of the board, while for two years he was its
secretarx-. He also took an active part in the
management of the affairs of the part}- and was
a member of the Republican countv ccmmittee,
and served as secretary of the Republican county
convention. Change of events brought a change



322



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



in his political views, and in 1903 he joined the
Socialist party, and was elected on its ticket to
his present office, that of justice of the peace of
Lansford. He is at present, however, independent
in his political affiliations.

j\lr. West is identified with several fraternal
organizations, including the Patriotic Order of
the Sons of America, the Junior Order of Amer-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 57 of 92)