John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 58 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 58 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ican i\lechanics, and the Fraternal Order of
Eagles, and he was formerly a member of the
Knights of Pythias.

He has been married twice. His first wife
was Miss Emily Downs, and they became the
parents of two children, Cora and Clarence, the
former now a successful teacher of Carbon
county. His second wife was Miss Kate M.
Fessler, and this marriage has been blessed with
the following named children : Eva, Blanche,
Mary, Alfred, Minerva, Edwin, living ; and David
and Helen, deceased.

WILLIAM J. BOLLES, who since 1892 has
served as chief burgess of Lansford, was born in
-this borough on the 20th of July, 1847, a son of
Charles and Mary (Malkin) Bolles, both of whom
are natives of England. They were reared and
educated in that land, and after their marriage
they bade adieu to friends and native country and
sailed for the United States, taking up their
abode in Lansford, Pennsylvania, where Charles
Bolles was engaged in mining. They had but
two children, William J. and Mary, and the latter
is now deceased.

William J. Bolles was reared in his parents'
home, and his educational privileges were those
afforded by the public schools of his native town.
After putting aside his text books he turned his
attention to mining, and has met with success in
this vocati-n. He has thus been identified with
one of the great productive industries of this state
throughout the years of his business career, and
his industry and enterprise are numbered among
his salient characteristics. He has not only won
success, but has also made for himself an hon-
orable name, and is accounted one of the leading
and representative men of his community. He
belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fel-



lows and to the Sons of America, and in both of
these organizations has the high regard of his
brethren. His political allegiance is given to
the Socialist party, and he has held the office of
councilman, while at the present writing he is
chief burgess of Lansford, having been elected to
the office in 1902 upon the Socialist ticket. His
interest in the welfare of the borough is deep and
sincere, as is manifested by a practical yet busi-
nesslike and progressive administration wherein
the welfare of the community has been greatly
conserved.

In 1878 Mr. Bolles was united in marriage to
Miss Alice Hough, a daughter of James and Julia
Hough, and a native of Bloomingdale, Pennsyl-
vania, born in 1857. Their children, eleven in
number, are, as follows : Charles, Bert, May,
William, Richard, deceased; Mary, deceased;
Clara, Elsie, Alerta, Harry and Dorotha. Of this
number Charles was united in marriage to Miss
Stella Flickinger, and they have a daughter to
whom they have given the name of Marvel. May
is the wife of John Sell, of Tamacjua, Pennsyl-
vania. Mr. Bolles has built for his family a sub-
stantial and beautiful residence in Lansford, and
the household is noted for its gracious and gen-
erous hospitality. The family are members of
the Congregational church, and in its work are
deeply interested.

EDWARD T. McFADDEN is numbered
among the officials of Lansford now filling the
position of justice of the peace. He was born in
Minersville, Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, in
October, i860, and is a son of Cornelius and
Catherine (Burns) McFadden, both of whom are
natives of Pennsylvania, but were of Irish line-
age. Removing to Minersville, Pennsylvania, the
father there engaged in merchandising for a num-
ber of years. He was a man of much public spirit
and considerable influence, and in his comnnmity
his labors proved effective in advancing the ma-
terial welfare and substantial upbuilding of the
borough. His death occurred in Schuylkill
countv, Pennsylvania, while his wife passed away
in Columbia county, this state. They were mem-
bers of the Roman Catholic church, which has



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



323



been tlie faith of the family through various gen-
erations, its members having been loyal communi-
cants of that denomination. The family of Cor-
nelius and Catherine McFadden numbered six
children : Mary, John, Bridget, James, [Michael
and Edward T.

In his early boyhood days Edward T. jMcFad-
den accompanied his parents from Schuvlkill
county to Columbia county, Pennsylvania, where
he was reared and educated. After putting aside
his text books he learned the upholsterer's trade,
which he has since followed, making it his life
occupation. In 1894 he removed from Columbia
county to Carbon county, establishing his home
in Lansford, where he has since engaged in busi-
ness with good success, his excellent workman-
ship securing for him a very desirable patronage,
while his honorable dealings have commended him
to the support and trust of the public. His social
relations are with the Fraternal Order of Eagles,
and in politics he is a stanch and unfaltering So-
cialist. It was upon the ticket of that party that
he was elected justice cf the peace in 1903. Fie
is a man of activity and intelligence, and pos-
sesses much tact and sound judgment, qualities
which enable him to discharge the duties of his
office in a most commendable manner. As jus-
tice of the peace he is strictly fair and impartial
in his rulings, and has won commendation by
his fidelity to the duties of the office.

On the 31st of October, 1882, Mr. McFadden
was united in marriage to Miss Kate Male\', a
daughter of IMartin ^Maley, and to them have been
born seven children: Edward, James, IMartin,
Mary, Cornelius, Kate and Ignatius.

GEORGE H. HOL\'EY, who for many years
has been identified with coal mining interests in
Carbon county, Pennsylvania, was born in the
beautiful and picturesque city of Bath, England,
March 18, 1832. In his youth he went to Wales.
so that his education was acquired in England
and in South Wales. He entered the mines of
the latter country, and gained a thorough knowl-
edge of the methods of digging from the earth its
rich coal deposits.

In 185 1, when about thirty years af age, he



emigrated to America, locating in what is now
Lansford, Pennsylvania. Here he entered the
mines, and as the result of a thorough knowletlge
of the business, added to a life of sobriety and
uprightness, he has obtained positions of trust
and responsibility that have brought to him a good
living. He did skilled mining work for a number
of years, making from four to si.x dollars per day
and as much as thirty dollars. During the IMollie
McGuire trouble in Lansford he was made as-
sistant superintendent at an advance in salary, hi;
predecessor having lost his life at the hands of
the disturbers. Mr. Holvey was in the same dan-
ger that his predecessor had been, but he pos-
sessed a brave and resolute spirit, a fact which
w-as well known by the members of the Mollie
McGuire band, and they submitted to his direc-
tions. He retained his position as assistant su-
perintendent during two years of this time, dis-
charging and employing men as the advantage of
the company dictated. When Morgan Powers
was shot by the Mollie McGuires he immediately
accepted the vacant place, although his own life
was in danger by so doing. He received many
threats which came to him in the form of skull
and cross-bones, but this did not seem to intimi-
date him in the least, and he continued to faith-
fully discharge his duties and was unmolested.
He was assistant superintendent for ten years,
during which time he had entire control of the
company's works under W. D. Zehner. Subse-
quently he became inside boss of mine No. 9. In
all of his mining e.xperience he was true to his
duty and to the interests of the company he rep-
resented, and he has acquired a handsome fortune
by economy and hard work. He now owns and
rents two hotels and one store, including the Man-
sion House, which is the largest hotel in Lans-
ford. In 1884 he retired from active life, and is
now enjoying a well earned rest.

When his country needed men in the dark
days of the Civil war, Air. Holvey ofifered his
services to the Union to aid in maintaining the
integrity of the old flag. He was first enrolled
for three months service, responding to the first
call for troops. After the expiration cf that term
he reenlisted in Company F, Eighth Pennsylvania



324



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Cavalry, and with his regiment was assigned to
the Second Brigade, Second Division, Army oi
the Potomac. He served faithfully and fought
manfully in the battles and skirmishes with his
regiment between the years 1861 and 1864. He
was twice slightly wounded but not enough to in-
capacitate him from duty, and he remained in
active service until honorably discharged at the
expiration of his three years' term. ]\Ir. Holvey
is now a member of the Grand Army Post at
Summit Hill, Pennsylvania, and is also a valuable
representative of Mauch Chunk Lodge, No. 562,
F. and A. M. He has served his country, his fra-
ternal organizations and his employers to the best
of his ability throughout his entire life, and now
in his declining years is numbered among the
most honored and respected citizens of Lansford.
In July, 1851, Mr. Holvey was united in mar-
riage to Miss Ann Jenkins, and to them were
born the following children: Benjamin F. ;
George W., deceased: Mary Ann, Emma, Eliza-
beth ; Elizabeth, the second of the name ; Alfred,
and Grant. His second wife was Mrs. Sarah
Hoffa, ucc Festler, who had children by her first
marriage but none by the second.

WILLIAM H. STORCH, burgess of Sum-
mit Hill, and one of the leading and representa-
tive men of his town, was born there on the ist
of December, 1873. His parents were Henry W.
and Wilhelmina (Neumilla) Starch, both of
whom were natives of Germany, and emigrated
to this countrv in 183 1. The father was a con-
tractor and builder, and became a prosperous man,
while his genial nature and sterling traits of char-
acter made him ])0]nilar with a large circle of
friends. He was the first burgess of Summit
Hill, and also held the office of justice of the peace
for several years. Indeed, he received at the
hands of his fellow townsmen every official pref-
erment which they could confer upon him. The
mining town of Summit Hill was chartered as a
borough in 1885, and contains a population of
thirty-seven hundred, polling about eleven hun-
dred votes. In connection with its public afifairs
the name of Storch has been closely associated.
The family of Henry W. Storch numbered four



children : Elizabeth, William H., Emma and
Cliarles. The younger son is an architect.

William H. Storch was reared and educated at
Summit Hill, and in early life learned the brick-
layers' trade. He is now engaged in general con-
tracting, in which calling he is very successful, a
liberal patronage being accorded him. His social
relations ccnnect him with the Royal Arcanum,
the Patriotic Order of the Sons of America, the
Fraternal Order of Elks, the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and the Calumet Club of Sum-
mit Hill, and of the last named he is now the
president. He has gained many friends in these
various organizations, and is justly accounted
one of the popular representatives of fraternal
interests in Summit Hill. In his political view&
he is independent. His father was a stanch
Democrat, and he has studied politics from both
the Democratic and Republican viewpoints, but
holds himself free from entangling party lines,
and exercises his right of franchise as he deems
most fitting. In 1902 he was nominated by the
Democratic party for burgess of Summit Hill,,
and received a large majority over the socialist
candidate, being given a great number of Repub-
lican as well as Democratic votes. Previous to
this time, he had been elected in 1898 treasurer
of the borough, and his faithful services in that
office was a guarantee of his fidelity and abilit\
at the head of affairs in Summit Hill in his pres-
ent position.

Mr. Storch was united in marriage to Miss
Margaret Smith, a daughter of William H. and
Margaret Smith. The wedding was celebrated
in 1897. Mrs. Storch departed this life, leaving
two children, Margaret W. and FI. W. Storch.

NATHAN TANNER, who is serving as
])ostmaster at Lansford, was born at Summit Hill,
Pennsylvania, June 6, 1846, his parents being
William and Elizabeth (McDermot) Tanner,
both of whom were natives of county Derr}-, Ire-
land. In 1843 the father came to the new world,
and in 1847 was joined in .\merica by his family.
He was a shoemaker by trade, and settled at
Summit Hill, Pennsylvanig, where he carried on
an extensive boct and shoe making enterprise, em-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



325



ploying about ten men. He was an excellent
mechanic in his line, and his capable management
and untiring activity brought him a very gratify-
ing measure of success. In public affairs he was
also prominent and influential, and served both as
supervisor and as school director at Summit Hifl.
Purchasing a farm in Bucks county, Pennsyl-
vania, he there spent his last days, his death oc-
curring in 1878. His wife passed away at Summit
Hill in 1865. Their family numbered eight chil-
dren : Robert, deceased : Jane ; John, Alary A. and
William, all of whom have passed away ; Nancy,
Joseph, and Nathan. All were born in Ireland with
the exception of the last named. Two of the
sons, Robert and William Tanner, were veterans
of the Civil war, and faithfully and courageously
served their adopted country in defense of the
stars and stripes. Robert w-as a member of Cap-
tain Pardee's company of the One Hundred and
Forty-seventh Pennsylvania Regiment, and aftri
serving for three years was honorably discharged.
William went to the front with the same regi-
ment, was wounded at the battle of Antietam, and
was killed in the battle of Chancellorsville.

Nathan Tanner acquired his education in the
common schools of his native town. In early life
he learned the plasterer's trade, which he fol-
lowed for a number of years, and later began con-
tracting and building in Summit Hill and Lans-
ford, where by his upright business methods and
excellent workmanship he secured a very liberal
patronage. At the time of the discovery of gold
in the Black Hills in 1877, he made a trip to that
region, but remained for cnly a short time, find-
ing that gold was not abundant enough to meet
the demands of his cherished dreams. In 1880 he
removed to his present place of residence in Lans-
ford, and has not only been actively associated
with building interests here, but also has been
prominent in community affairs.

At the time cf the Civil war, Mr. Tanner, in
1864, being then but sixteen years of age, en-
listed in Company M, Eighteenth Regi-
ment Pennsylvania \'olunteer Cavalry, under
Captain A. J. Pennypacker. but through
some accident his, together with other papers,
â– were lest or mislaid, and in consequence,



much to his dissatisfaction, he saw no ac-
tive service. He was honorably discharged
at the close of the war. Although but a mere boy
he served his country as bugler with patriotic
ardor, and the same fidelity to the best interests of
his county, state and nation has ever been num-
bered among his strong characteristics. He has
served in the town council of Lansford, has been
a member of the schocl board, and in 1897 was
appointed postmaster. He also served for two
years and three months as commissioner's clerk
at ]\Iauch Chunk. Socially Air. Tanner is a mem-
ber of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
and is a past commander of Eli T. Connor Post,
No. 177, G. A. R., of which he is now adjutant.

In January, 1875, ^^^- Tanner was married
to Aliss Eleanor Byron, a daughter of Daniel and
G'.vennie Byron and a native of Schuylkill
county, Peinisylvania. Unto them have been born
four children : William E., Daniel B., Maricn and
one that died in infancy. The eldest son is now
engaged in the piano business, while Daniel B. is
a member of the mining engineer corps.

MILTON A. WHETSTONE, who for
eleven years was identified with public instruc-
tion in the Lehigh valley, and is now a represen-
tative of financial interests in Lansford, being the
cashier of the Citizens' National Bank, is a native
of Tamaqua, Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, his
birth having there occurred March 15, 1873.

His parents were A. K. and Rebecca (An-
drews) Whetstone, also natives of Schuylkill
county. In early life it was the father's intention
to enter the ministry, but failing health obliged
him to abandon that plan, and, thinking that he
might be benefited by outdoor life and labor, he
turned his attention to agricultural pursuits and
became a practical farmer of Schuylkill county.
In his younger years he also engaged in teaching
schcol. He prospered in his undertakings, and
was a man of marked intelligence who exercised
considerable intluence in public affairs having
direct effect upon the welfare and upbuilding cf
his community. He held several township offices
in a most creditable manner. His children were
five in number, two sons and three daughters, and



326



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



two of the daughters are now competent teachers.

Mihon A. Whetstone was reared and edu-
cated in his native town, attended the various
grades of the pubHc schools, and finally gradu-
ating with high honors from the Keystone State
Normal School, in 1896. His natural qualifica-
tions well fitted him for the profession of teach-
ing, and he turned his attention to that calling,
which he followed with marked ability and suc-
cess for eleven years, spending four years of that
time in the schools of Schuylkill county, while for
four years he was a principal of the schools of
Lansford, continuing to fill that position up to the
\ime when he took charge of the Citizens' Na-
cional Bank as its cashier. This institution was
chartered December 3, 1903, with a capital of fifty
thousand dollars. Its president is T. J. Neus-
baum, its vice-president Andrew Breslin, and
there i"s a board of trustees of nine members.
Since Mr. Whetstone took charge of the bank its
patronage has constantly increased, fcr he is a
most popular cashier, and his business methods
have largely increased the revenues of the insti-
tution.

In 1898 he was united in marriage to ]Miss
Estella Zeigenfuse, of Tamaqua, Pennsylvania,
and to them were born two children, Russel H.,
and one that died in infancy.

iUGENE W. BAER is one of the represen-
tative business men of Lehightoii whose intense
aiiu well directed activity has made him an im-
portant factor in the business life of that place.
He is now connected with a ])rnductive industry
that has been of marked value in promoting the
commercial activity of the community, being one
of the proprietors of the silk mill at Lehighton.
His birth occurred in Paterson, Xew Jersey, on
the 9th of September, 1868. His parents, Jacob
F. and Louise (Blattner) Baer, were natives of
Switzerland.

The father, b^rn November 27, 1836. acquired
his education in his native country, and learned
the silk-maker's trade under the direction of his
father, John F. Baer. In 1856, when twenty
years of age, he crossed the Atlantic to the new
world, hoping to find in its rapidly developing



business conditions good opportunities for ad-
vancement and the achievement of success. He
was first engaged in the silk business in New
York city, but soon afterward removed to Pater-
son, New Jersey, where he has since made his
home. He there began business as a silk manu-
facturer on a small scale, having at first but a
half dozen ribbon looms. Soon, however, he
secured a liberal patronage that justified him in
enlarging his plant and increasing liis output, and
he enj oyed a prosperous career as a manufacturer
until 1873, when, together with many other bus-
iness men throughout the country, he sufifered
financial losses owing to the great money panic
of that year, and was obliged t3 discontinue his
operations. Fcr a period of several years there-
after he acted as superintendent of large silk
mills. In 1888 he resumed business on his own
account, establishing the Helvetia Silk Mills,
which he s"on developed into a flourishing con-
cern. This mill to-dav is one of the leading in-
dustrial enterprises of Paterson, giving employ-
ment t3 six hundred operatives. Jacob F. Baer
has always been at its head, and its success is
essentially due to his untiring energy, executive
ability and untarnished reputation for fairness
and reliability as a manufacturer. In his deal-
ings with his employes he has always been known
for his thoughtful liberality and consideration,
and as a citizen he is regarded as one of the
most progressive and public-spirited men of
Paterson. A mild disposition, a genial character
and pleasing deportment have gained for him
the esteem and friendship of the great majority of
those with whom he has come in contact both
commercially and socially. He was married in
1858, and his living children are: Frederick A.
and Ralph, who are associated with him in the
conduct of the Helvetia Silk Mills: Eugene W.,
who is a partner with his father in the Lehighton
Silk Mills: William A., who is in charge of the
weaving department in the Lehighton IMills ;
Louis C. : Anna, the wife of Charles de Ponthier,
of New York city: and Rose I., the wife of
Adol])h Webber.

Eugene W. Baer acquired his education in
the public schools of Paterson, New Jersey, and









i::ZJ-^t^



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



327



at the age of fourteen years he entered upon his
business career as an employe of J- Walder, a
manufacturer of silk mill supplies, with whom he
remained for two years. Subsequently he spent
one year in the service of Ulrich & Company, in
the same line of business, after which he entered
upon an apprenticeship of three and a half years
with the Eastwood Company, builders of textile
machinery. From 1888 until 1896 he was in the
employ of his father in the Helvetia ]\Iills in Pat-
erson. During these years, he had acquired a
phenomenal practical experience in all the various
departments of silk manufacturing. He was cap-
able not only of carrying on all the processes of
manufacture, but he was so skillful a machinist
and of such inventive turn of mind that he was
able to make all necessary machinery, as well as
the tools and machines for its making. To this
ability was added a clear conception of new pro-
cesses, and a thorough knowledge of the de-
mands of the market. All this led to a laudable
ambition to institute new ideas and devices, but
the conservatism which marked the management
of the mills proved an insuperable obstacle to his
proposed innovations. Determined to seek out a
field in which he would be unhampered and in
which he could carry into effect his desires, he
left the employ of his father, formed the firm of
Eugene W. Baer & Co., and set up a silk-spinning
manufactory at Riverside, a suburb of Paterson.
In this undertaking his father afforded him the
use of his credit, but this was the only fortuitous
advantage enjoyed by the son, who assumed the
entire burden of installing and conducting the
new plant. His attendant success was entirely
the fruit of his own well-considered, persistent
efifort, and extraordinary ability in all depart-
ments of the enterprise, mechanical and manager-
ial, and to him is due the entire credit of creating
one of the most important industries of its kind
in America, and placing himself in the front rank
of American manufacturers. After he had firmly
established the business and determined its im-
mense importance in the manufacturing and com-
mercial field, he admitted his father to partner-
ship with himself. In 1898 the business and plant
were removed to Lehighton, where commodious



buildings had been specially erected, and this is
now the leading industry of the place, emploving
more than two hundred and fiftv operatives.

Eugene W. Baer is also interested as a part-
ner and second largest stockholder in the Helvetia
Silk Mills, and is a member of the board of di-
rectors. His business relations also extend to
various financial interests in Lehighton. He w-as
the organizer and one of the largest stockholders
of the Citizens' National Bank, and is vice-presi-
dent. L'pon the foundation of thorough prepar-
ation, unremitting efifort and laudable ambition
he has builded his success, and gained a reputa-
tion as one of the most extensive and prominent
manufacturers of Carbon county.

In December, 1889, occurred the marriage of
Eugene W. Baer and Miss Cera B. Tice, a daugh-
ter of David and Elizabeth Tice. To them have



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 58 of 92)