John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 6 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 6 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

of each language was studied in connection with
a classic in that language, and Dr. ^March took
classes in Latin, Greek, French and German ac-
cording to this plan, summing up the whole by
general study of philolog}- at the end of the col-
lege course. When the Douglass endowment af-
forded funds for the study of the Christian class-
ics, Dr. ^larch took an active part in the instruc-
tion of the course. He also edited a series of
text-books to be used in this course, entirely pre-

paring a selection of "Latin H_\nins'' which has
been especially successful.

For many years Dr. March has taught Black-
stone, and until late years took the classes in
political economy, and Constitution of the United
States. At about the time of the breaking out
of the Civil war, he prepared a scheme of amend-
ments to the Constitution of the United States,
intended to bring about a peaceful settlement of
the difficulties between the North and the South,
which he advocated by letters to the New York
Times and World. These amendments attracted
much attention, and w'ere introduced in congress,
in the Virginia legislature, and elsewhere.

Dr. March's liability to attacks of bleeding
continued for many years, and largely determined
his manner of life. He had to shun all the
excitements of general conversation as well as
public speaking, and spend the time not occupied
with active duties in gentle exercise, or quiet
studies and rest at home. He walked much, and
he took the classes in botany until Dr. Porter
came, in 1866.

His linguistic studies, however, called for the
making of new books and other use of the press
to promote the study of higher English in our
schools and colleges. From 1864 to 1871 he had
always on hand the "Anglo-Saxon Grammar and
Reader" ; from 1872 to 1879 'he "Douglass Series
of Christian Greek and Latin Classics" : from 1874
onward, "Spelling Reform Documents", ad-
dresses and correspondence; from 1879 to 1882
the direction of "American Readers for the
Dictionary of the Philological Society of Lon-
don" ; from 1890 to 1895 the "Standard Diction-
ary" of the Funk & Wagnalls Company, and dur-
ing 1902 to 1904 in association with his eldest
son, the "Thesaurus Dictionary of Words and
Phrases". He has found time, however, to pre-
pare papers for the yearly meetings of the Ameri-
can Philological Association (he seems to have
been the most frequent contributor), and for
other learned societies, and for periodicals.

Professor ]\Iarch has received the degrees of
LL. D. from Princeton, 1870; Amherst, 1871,
semi-centennial ; Columbia. 1887, centennial ;
Litt. D., Cambridge, England, 1896, and from



Princeton, in the same year ; and D. C. L. from
Oxford, England, 1896. He was president of
the American Philological Association in 1873
and 1895, and is now president of the Spelling
Reform Association, having been re-elected an-
nually since 1876. From 1891 to 1893 he was
president of the INIodern Language Association
of America, being the successor of James Russell
Lowell. He is the only American honorary mem-
ber of the Philological Society of London. He
is also honorary member of I'Association Fone-
tique des Professeurs de Languages Vivantes,
Paris ; vice-president of the New Shakespere So-
ciety, London ; senator of the Phi Beta Kappa
fraternity ; member of the National Council of
Education, the American Philosophical Society,
the American Antiquarian Society, et al. He
has been chairman of the Commission of the
State of Pennsylvania on Amended Orthography,
director of the American Workers for the His-
torical English Dictionary of the Philological So-
ciety of England, and consulting editor of the
Funk & Wagnalls Co.'s "Standard Dictionary of
the English Language.''

Professor March was married, in i860, to
Margaret Mildred Stone Conway, a great-grand-
daughter of Hon. Thomas Stone, one of the
signers of the Declaration of Independence, and a
daughter of Hon. Walker Peyton Conway, for
thirty years presiding justice of Stafford county,
Virginia, and a sister of Moncure D. Conwav,
the well known author and lecturer. Mrs. March
is also a great-great-great-granddaughter of Han-
nah Ball, sister of ]\Iary, mother of George Wash-
ington, the same of Ann Ball, another sister, and
a great-great-great-granddaughter of Baillie
^^'ashington, the father of Colonel William
Washington and cousin of George Washington.

To Professor and 2\Irs. ?i larch have been born
nine children, of whom eight are living: Francis
Andrew, Professor in Lafayette College ; Peyton
Conway, Captain, L'. S. A.; Thomas Stone,
superintendent of public schools, Susquehanna,
Pcnn. ; Alden, editor of the Philadelphia "Sun-
day Press" ; Moncure, lawyer, New York Citv ;
Jnlm Lewis, Professor in L^nion College ; Mil-
dred, and Margaret Daniel. There are ten grand-

children: Katharine, Mildred, Francis Andrew,
2d Jr., Francis Andrew, 3d, Peyton Conway, Jr.,
Judith, Joseph, jMoncure, \*ivian, and Robert

Ph. D., was bom at Ogdensburg, New York, Au-
gust 3, 1838, and is the son of the late Prof.
James H. Coffin, LL. D. His middle name is
that of his maternal grandfather, a well-known
minister in Berkshire, Massachusetts. He grad-
uated with honor at Lafayette at the age of twen-
ty, and pronounced the English salutatory. He
went through college, expecting to take a posi-
tion promised him in the U. S. Coast Survey,
but under the influence of Dr. Cattell, in his
senior year, he gave up this intention, and after
teaching for three years in Bloomsbury, Easton
and Towanda, he pursued a full theological course
at Princeton, where he graduated in 1864. He
was licensed to preach the gospel in 1864, and
ordained in 1874.

From 1864 he was successively tutor, adjunct
professor, and Hollenback professor of mathe-
matics and astronomy until 1886, when by rea-
son of a severe throat ailment, incapacitating him
from using his voice in the class-room, he felt
called upon to resign, since which time he served
the college efficiently in the office of registrar.

Being quite familiar with the life work of
his father, he drew the charts and completed his
posthumous work on "The Winds of the Globe.''
It was well for the scientific world that he had be-
come so familiar with meteorological investiga-
tions that he could take up the voluminous ma-
terial where it was left, and prepare the report as
he did, and to- such entire satisfaction. He was
asked by Professor Henry, of the Smithsonian
Institution, to read before the National Academy
of Sciences an epitome of the conclusions reached.
On its publication, in 1876, he received the de-
gree of Ph. D. from Hanover College.

Lintil his throat difficulties, he was a frequent
participant in Teachers' Institutes and other edu-
cational assemblies, and was often called on to
supply neighboring pulpits. In 1881, at a memor-
ial gathering of 460 descendants of Tristram Cof-



fin, at the homestead, on the island of Nantucket,
Professor Coffin pronounced an historical ad-
dress which was published at the time in New
York and Boston papers.

He is a fellow of the American Association
for the Advancement of Science, and a member
of the Moravian, Trinity and Pennsylvania His-
torical Societies, and also of the Philosophical
Society of Great Britian ; president of his theologi-
cal class, secretary of his college class, and secre-
tary of the Alumni Association of Lafayette.

In three campaigns of the war he was actively
engaged in the service of the U. S. Christian Com-
mission, laboring in the field in the relief of the
sick and wounded soldiers, in 1864 being specially
appointed to establish "diet kitchens" in the com-
mand of General B. F. Butler. In 1876 he was
one of the commissioners appointed, by the state
to organize the educational exhibit of Pennsyl-
vania for the Centennial Exposition at Philadel-
phia, in which his specific duty was to arrange
the exhibit from the colleges of Pennsylvania, for
which he received complimentary mention.

At the request of the family of the late Pro-
fessor Olmsted, of Yale, he has revised two
editions of Olmsted's "College Astronomy."' He
has issued two editions of a graduate catalogue
of nearly four hundred large pages, published at
his own expense, of which the latter edition
(1891) is entitled "The Men of Lafayette, 1826-
1892: Lafayette College, Its History, Its Men,
Their Record". Professor Owen contributed the
"History", and the remainder was compiled by
Professor Coffin. The New York Observer says
of it:

"Professor Coffin in this volume has per-
formed a noble service for a noble institution.
Professor Owen's historical sketches, which
form the opening part of the volume, are com-
prehensive, compact, interesting, including ma-
terial that will increase in interest as the college
and country increase in years. Then follow the
various catalogues of the men who have been
connected with the college as teachers, trustees
and students, — not a mere list of names, but with
notes of their calling, residence, honors, works
and other personal features."

The editor of The Mid-Continent, St. Louis,
adds :

"No other head and hand could have pro-
duced this work in such perfection and accuracy
of detail. It is a magnificent literary contribution
to the interests of Lafayette College; a perma-
nent standard work of reference."

Professor Coffin has served the College in a
unique way as secretary of the Alumni Associa-
tion, an office that he has filled acceptably since
the year 1859. It is said of him that he knows
the faces of all the graduates of the institution,
excepting three whom he has never seen. He
resigned the position of registrar in the summer
of 1904, but continues to give the institution such
service as he is able.

In 1875 he married :\Iiss :\Iary Albertson
Angle, of Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. She died
April 9, 1889. By this marriage he had two sons,
James Henry, who died in infancy : and Edward
Welles, now a student in Lafayette College. In
December, 1891, he married ^kliss Emma Frances
Angle, a younger sister of his first wife.

M. D., of Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsyl-
vania, is the seventh in line of descent from the
Rev. John JNIoore, a native of England, who was
born between the years 1620 and 1625. Subse-
quently he was a resident of Southampton,
Hempstead and Newtown, Long Island. May
30, 1644, he was a representative in the matter
of the union of Southampton with the colony of
Hartford ; in October, 1644, was appointed to
collect subscriptions for students at Harvard Col-
lege, of which he was probably a graduate, and
also served as deputy for Southampton to negoti-
ate a union with the New England colonies ; in
the same year he attended a meeting of the Gen-
eral Court of Massachusetts and acted on a com-
mittee ; between the years 1646 and 1649 he was
permitted to preach in New England; March
9, 1649, was in the list of perfect freemen ; from
1649 to 165 1 was the second minister of Hemp-
stead; September 25, 1651, he wrote a letter to
the magistrates in Holland from Hemp-
stead, in which he foreshadowed the fatal


consequences of taking sides with the sup-
porters of Charles II, and of arming the Indians;
in 1652 was the first minister of ]\Iiddleburg,
afterward Newtown, Long Island; April 12,
1656, transacted the Indian purchase, his pur-
chase money being £2 ; and on January 22, 1657,
was presented with the title to the town house by
the inhabitants of Newtown in a public meeting.
The Rev. John Moore married Margaret Howell,
who was baptized in England in 1622, daughter
of Edward Howell, one of the original "Under-
takers" who settled in Southampton, Long Isl-
and. Edward Howell was born in Marsh Gib-
bon, Buckinghamshire, England, in 1600. He
came to America in 1639, was made freeman of
Boston that year, removed to Lynn, where he had
a grant of 500 acres, was a magistrate from 1640
to 1653, a member of the colonial legislature at
Hartford, Connecticut, from 1647 to 1653, and
was the leader in the settlement of Southampton,
the first English settlement in the state of New
York. The Rev. John Moore died September 17,


Captain Samuel Moore, son of the Rev. John
and ]\Iargaret (Howell) Moore, was born prob-
ably at Southampton, Long Island, about 1645.
He was granted a tract of land at Newtown in
1662 ; became a freeholder on December 4, 1666 ;
a constable in 1675 ; an overseer between 1677
and 1679; also between 1681 and 1683; appointed
to choose delegates to Assembly in New York;
commissioner of town court from 1684 to 1685,
1686, 1687, 1688 to 1690; on the committee to
extend town limits in 1684; supervisor during
the years 1684, 1687 and 1691 ; on Dongan's
Charter in 1686, received the rank of lieutenant;
was appointed delegate to the convention at New
York "to act as they should see cause for the good
and benefit of the country" ; prominent in Leisler's
Insurrection, and was commissioned captain of
Newtown militia on February 19, 1690. He mar-
ried i\Iary Reed, born in 1651, died in Newtown
on ]\Iay 4, 1738. His death occurred in the same
town on July 25, 1717.

Justice Nathaniel Moore, son of Captain Sam-
uel and Mary (Reed) Moore, was born in New-
town, I^ong Island. Alarch 14, 1687. He removed

from Long Island to New Jersey in 1708, and
during that year he and Thomas Reed, John
Cornwall and John 'Slott purchased 1,300 acres
of land where Pennington, New Jersey,; now
stands. He was a trustee of the Pennington
church from 1725 to 1726, trustee of parsonage
and Latin school funds in 1731, was commis-
sioned a justice during the year 1725, and was
appointed to the rank of lieutenant in the New
Jersey militia, 171 5. December i, 1713, he mar-
ried Joanna Prudden, born December 16, 1692,
daughter of the Rev. John Prudden, born in
Milford, Connecticut, November 9, 1645, died
December 11, 1725, who was a graduate of
Harvard, principal of Roxbury grammar
school, pastor of Jamaica, Long Island,
in 1670, deputy to colonial assembly of New
York in 1689, and third pastor of First
church of Newark, New Jersey, in 1692. The
Rev. John Prudden was a son of the Rev. Peter
Prudden, born 1601, died 1656, who was one of
the founders of the colony of New Haven, settled
at Milford, Connecticut, in 1639, and was ap-
pointed judge in 1641 ; about 1638 he married
Joanna Boyse, probably in this country. Nathaniel
Moore died at Hopewell, New Jersey, September
6, 1759 ; he was survived by his wife, who died in

Captain John Moore, son of Nathaniel and
Joanna (Prudden) Moore, was born ]\Iarch 8,
1715, at Hopewell, New Jersey, He served in
Colonel Samuel Hunt's regiment in the French
and Indian war. He married Keziah Phillips,
daughter of Theophilus Phillips of Maidenhead,
New Jersey, and Elizabeth Betts, of Newtown,
Long Island, great-great-granddaughter of the
Rev. George Phillips, born in 1593, died in 1644,
first pastor of Watertown, Massachusetts, in
1630, and great-granddaughter of Captain Rich-
ard Betts, born in 1613, died in 1713, of Ipswich,
Massachusetts, 1648, and Newtown, Long Island.
Captain Moore died at Hopewell, September 3,

Samuel Moore, son of Captain John and
Keziah (Phillips) Moore, was born in Hopewell,
Hunterdon county, New Jersey, in 1754. He
served as a minute-man in the Revolutionary



war, and subsequently was a member of Captain
John Mott's company, First Regiment, Hunter-
don count}', New Jersey. He removed to Easton,
Pennsylvania, in 1782, and his death occurred in
that city on March 9, 1799. September 27, 1781,
he married Sarah Green, bom February 22, 1759,
died January 15, 1829, a daughter of Richard
Green, who married Phebe Moore (4), a daugh-
ter of Nathaniel (3), granddaughter of Captain
Samuel (2), and great-granddaughter of the
Rev. John (i).

Samuel IMoore, son of Samuel and Sarah
(Green) Moore, was born in Easton, Pennsyl-
vania, September 28, 1794, and died there on
June 18, 1883. He was educated in the schools
of Philadelphia, and later served as second ser-
geant in the First Company, First Regiment,
Pennsylvania Volunteer Riflemen in the War of
1812-14. Was one of the editors and proprietors
of the "Spirit of Pennsylvania" ; in 1824 accom-
panied the Easton Guards, of which he had been
ensign, to Philadelphia to take part in the recep-
tion to General Lafayette ; was editor of the Belvi-
dere (New Jersey) Apollo, in 183 1 ; clerk of the
court of oyer and terminer from 1836 to 1839;
clerk of the court of general quarter sessions of
the peace under Governor Ritner, member of the
firm of :\Iott, Schober & Co., of Philadelphia and
Easton, importers of china, etc., from 1839 to
1851, and retired from office in 1857 ; was a mem-
ber of the Easton town council in 1853 ; justice
from 1859 to 1874 ; chief burgess during the years
i860, 1861, 1862 and 1863, and active in all enter-
prises and benevolent work in his town. He mar-
ried, November 27, 1832, Elizabeth Barnes
Wamsley, born September 20, 181 1, died March
12, 1895, a native of Mansfield, Warren county,
New Jersey ; the ceremony was performed by the
Rev. James Castner.

James Wamsley, father of Elizabeth Barnes
(Wamsley) :\Ioore, was born in County Ferma-
nagh, Ireland, September 29, 1780. died either in
1863 or 1865 ; he married Sarah IMott Potts, born
May 23, 1792, in Kingwood, New Jersey, died
May 26, 1883, daughter of Joseph Potts, who
married Sarah Mott in June, 1781, granddaugh-
ter of John Potts and Alcrcy King, great-grand-

daughter of Thomas Potts, Jr., born in 1713, died

in 1 73 1, and Susanna , of Bristol

township, Philadelphia county, great-great-grand-
daughter of "Thomas Potts, Sr., the Quaker
Preacher," whom William Penn called "honest
Thomas Potts."

Sarah Mott was the daughter of Solomon
-Mott of New York and Kingwood, New Jersey,
and Elizabeth Emley, granddaughter of Gershon
Mott, born in Hempstead, Long Island, removed
to New Hempstead, New York, died in 1759, and

his wife Ruth , the great-granddaughter

of Charles Mott, born in Hempstead in 1676,
died in 1740, the great-great-granddaughter of
Adam Mott, of Essex, England, bom in 1619,
died in 1686, and his wife Elizabeth Redman,
whom he married in 1667.

Mercy King, born June 4, 1738, in King-
wood, New Jersey, was the daughter of William
King, born April i, 1714, in Kingwood, New
Jersey, and his wife Abigail Doughty, whom he
married in 1737, the granddaughter of Joseph
King, senior, elder and overseer, born in Flush-
ing, Long Island, in 1684, died in Hunterdon
county. New Jersey, December 10, 1761, and his
wife Alarcia Nicholson, and the great-grand-
daughter of Harmanus King, who left England
to escape religious persecution and went to Hol-
land, from thence emigrated to America in 1676,
died in Burlington county, New Jersey, in 1727,
and his wife Mary.

Elizabeth Emley was the daughter of John
Emley, Sr., born in 1691, died in 1761, member of
the colonial assembly, and his wife Sarah Law-
rence, the granddaughter of William Emley, Sr.,
born in Nottingham, England, in 1648, and ;\Iary
. He was one of the three commis-
sioners to act in behalf of the West Jersey So-
ciety, arrived in New York in 1677 in the "Kent,"
returned to England and came to America again
in 1678 in the "Shield." He purchased land of
the Indians, was a member of the general assem-
bly, member of Governor's Council, and died in
1704. The Emleys were Friends.

Abigail Doughty, born in 1716, was the
daughter of Jacob Doughty of Flushing, Long
Island, who removed to New Jersey, was a mem-



ber of the general assembly, judge of the court
of common pleas of Burlington county, assistant
judge of common pleas of Hunterdon county,
"minister among Friends," and his wife Amy
Whitehead, the granddaughter of Elias Doughty,
born in 1635, "^I'^d in 1690, a justice of Queens

county, Long Island, and Sarah , the

great-granddaughter of the Rev. Francis
Doughty, born in Bristol, England, vicar of Sod-
bury, settled at Taunton, Massachusetts, in 1639,
from which place he was driven by persecution
and sought refuge in Rhode Island; in 1641 he
removed to Long Island, and was the predecessor
of the Rev. John Moore at Hempstead. He
preached to the English in the church within Fort
Amsterdam. In 1648 or 1649 l''^ departed for the
Virginias. His wife was Bridget Stone, a sister
of Governor Stone of Maryland. His father
styles himself, in his will, dated May, 1634,
"Francis Doughtie, of Hempstead, in the Parish
of Oldsburg and County of Gloucester, Gent."

Amy Whitehead, born in 1676, died in 1742,
was the daughter of Major Daniel Whitehead of
Newtown, Long Island, born in 1646, died in
■ 1704, justice of Queens county, member of as-
sembly and county treasurer, and Abigail Steven-
son, granddaughter of Daniel Whvthead, died
1668, aged sixty-five, magistrate of Hempstead,
patentee of Newtown, first purchaser of Horse-
neck from the Indians, overseer of Newtown, and
his wife Jeannie Skidmore.

Lucy Stout, died in 1732, was a daughter of

Stout, and granddaughter of Richard

Stout, died in 1705, who was on Long Island as
early as 1643, two years later was a patentee ot
Gravesend, in 1664 a patentee in New Jersey, and
a member of the general assembly of New Jersey.

Penelope Van Prince, nee Lent, came from
Holland. The vessel bringing her and her hus-
band was wrecked in 1640 near Sandy Hook.
Her husband was killed by the Indians, and she
was wounded and left for dead on the beach. A
friendly Indian secreted her in ahollow tree where
she remained three days. He then carried her to
New York, where she met Richard Stout, whom
she married either in the year 1643 oi" 1645, after
which they removed to New Jersey and founded

Middletown. She lived to be over one hundred
years old.

James W. Moore, son of Samuel and Eliza-
beth B. (Wamsley) Moore, was born in Easton,
Pennsylvania, June 14, 1844. In i860 he was the
valedictorian at the graduating exercises of the
Easton high school, in 1864 was the Latin saluta-
torian of Lafayette College, from which he re-
ceived the degree of Master of Arts in 1867, and
in 1869 the degree of Doctor of Medicine was
conferred upon him by the University of Penn-
sylvania. Since January 8, 1866, he has been a
member of the faculty of Lafayette College, in
which institution he served as tutor from 1866 to
1868, adjunct professor from 1868 to 1872, pro-
fessor of mechanics and experimental philosophy
since 1872. The departments of physics and
electrical engineeering were organized under his
direction, and the equipment of the laboratories
was accomplished by him. He is the dean of
Pardee School of Science, a member of the Amer-
ican Philosophical Society, Fellow of the Ameri-
can Association for the Advancement of Science,,
Fellow of the American Academy of Medicine,
member of the Pennsylvania State Medical So-
ciety, ex-president of the Northampton County
]\Iedical Society, conferee of the International
Congress of Electricians, Philadelphia, in 1884,
Chicago in 1893, member of the Sons of the
Revolution, Historian General of the Founders
and Patriots of America, 1607- 1657, member of
Phi Beta Kappa Society, Delta Kappa Ep-
silon Society and a number of others. For
four years he was a member of the legis-
lative committee of the Pennsylvania State
Medical Society, which succeeded in having
passed the Medical Examiner's Bill.

Dr. Moore has contributed papers on phy-
sical, sanitary and medical subjects in the scien-
tific and lay publications, and is the author of
the following named works : "The elements of
Natural Philosophy for the Use of Engineering
Students," 1891 ; "The Elements of Natural
Philosophy for the Use of Junior Students in
College," 1891 ; "Methods of Investigation and
Record Book of Experiments in Physics," 1892 ;
"Instruments and ^Methods of Phvsical Measure-



ments," 1892; "Simple Harmonic JNIotion," 1894;
"Syllabus of a Course of Lectures on Heat,"
1894; "Syllabus of a Ccairse of Lectures
on Eelctricitv,"' 1895 ; "Electro-dynamic Phe-
nomena," 1888; "Notes on a Course of Lec-
tures on Light," 1889; "An Attempt to
Analyze the Statistics of Diphtheria in
Easton from 1888 to 1894 inclusive," 1894,
published in the Lehigh 1 'alley Medical

Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 6 of 92)