John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 60 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 60 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


schcolhouse, and many other important industrial
tasks have been executed by him in a
manner which insures him a continuation
of a liberal patronage. He is likewise a
director of the National Bank of Weath-
erly, and was one of its promoters. He
was one of the active factors in instituting the
movement for an electric street railway connect-
ing Hazeltcn, Weatherly and Mauch Chunk, and.
with a clear recognition of business possibilities
and the advantages to be derived from the insti-
tution of impcrtant industries, he has labored un-
tiringly for Weatherly's development along such
lines. He is a member of the order of Elks, and
in religious faith is a Roman Catholic, while his
family are connected with the same church.

Mr. Tarleton was married in 1882 to Miss
Mary Alooney. a daughter of Peter Mooney, of
Nesquehoning, who was born in 1858, and by her



marriage became the mother of seven children, of
whom four are yet living: James, a graduate of
the Scranton International Correspondence
School : William and Frank, twins ; and Laurence
Tarleton.

THOMAS KRESSLY is one of the substan-
tial citizens of Lansford, where thirty years of his
active and useful life have been spent in the
erection of houses for the Lehigh Coal and Navi-
gation Company, and for private parties as well.

He was born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania,
in 1842, and the ancestral history of the family
has been found amid Lehigh county scenes. I'he
family is of German lineage, but both the grand-
father and his wife were natives of Lehigh county.
They became the parents of three sons, John,
Henry and Peter. Of these Peter Kressly, who
was born on the old homestead in Lehigh county
and pursued his education in the public schools,
learned the shoe-maker's trade in his youth and
followed it throughout his entire life. He also
carried on farming on a limited scale. He mar-
ried Miss Margaret Harsel, who was also born in
Lehigh county, and their family numbered eight
children, but Thomas Kressly is the only one now
living. He, too, is indebted to the public-school
system for the educational privileges he enjoved.
In early life he served an apprenticeship at the
carpenter's trade, and has always been engaged
in building operations. In 1862 he removed from
Lehigh to Schuylk'll county, locating at Tamaqua,
where he remained until 1872. That year wit-
nessed his arrival in Lansford, where he engaged
in contracting and building. He has devoted
twenty years of his active life to contracting and
to-day many of the substantial structures of this
town and surrounding districts stand as monu-
ments to his genius and mechanical skill. While
erecting a home for others, he also prepared a
pleasant abode for his family, and is to-day the
owner of one of the fine residences in Lansford.

In 1874 Mr. Kressly was united in marriage
to Miss Rebecca Hauser, of Tamaqua, Pennsyl-
vania, who was born in 1850. This marriage has
been blessed with four children : Edward D.. who
is a carpenter, wedded Miss Annie Koch, and



334



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



the_v have become the parents of four children,
CHfford, George, Edith and Anna ; Peter T., the
second son, who is the proprietor of a hotel in
Tamaqua, married Anna Trout and they have one
son, Thomas W. ; William is the leading barber of
Lansford ; and Lizzie E., who completes the fam-
ily, is at home.

i\Ir. Kressly holds membership with the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows, and his relig-
ious faith is that of the Lutheran church, which
he joined upon its organization. He was the first
president of the first church council held at Lans-
ford, and he has occupied the position of trus-
tee, and is now an elder of his church. He has
been very faithufl to its work and interests, and
has put fcrth every effort in his power to pro-
mote its growth and extend its influence.

GEORGE W. HEMMINGER, well known
in educational circles of Carbon county as prin-
cipal of the high school of Weatherly, was born
at Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, in 1863, a son ot
John- and Mary (Graham) Hemminger. The
father was a native of Cumberland county, Penn-
sylvania, a farmer by occupation, and a man of
much worth and considerable local influence. He
married Miss Graham, who was of Scotch extrac-
tion, and their family numbered five children.
The parents are both deceased.

Professor Hemminger spent the days of his
boyhood and youth in his native town, and at-
tended the common schools there and at Cham-
bersburg, Pennsylvania. His education was con-
tinued in the Kutztown State Normal School, from
which he was graduated in 1885. Prior to this
time, liowever, he had engaged in teaching in
Franklin county, Pennsylvania, and following his
graduation he followed the same profession in
Lehighton, Pennsylvania, where he remained for
one year. In 1887 he became the principal of the
East Mauch Chunk school, where he remained
for six years, and in 1893 he came to his present
position, that of principal .of the high school of
Weatherly. The school building is one of the
finest educational structures in the state of Penn-
sylvania, and is a gift from Charles M. Schwab,
of the great steel corporation, who erected it as a



monument to the memory of his wife, whose
early school days were passed in Weatherly. The
cost of the building alone, exclusive of the
grounds and improvements, was about sixty-three
thousand dollars. It is built of pressed brick, is
three stores in height, contains ten recitation
rooms, and has an auditorium with a seating ca-
pacity of six hundred. It is ninety by ninety feet
in dimensions, and crowning the roof is a tower,
in which is a Setli Thomas clock of the best con-
struction, with a dial six feet in diameter. The
building is heated by two large surry steam boil-
ers. In the basement are situated the boys' and
girls' playrooms, beside lavatories for both sexes,
with toilet rooms attached. In every particular
the school is a model of perfection. The rooms
are finished in quarter-sawed oak, and the ventil-
ation of the building is perfect. The grounds are
inclosed within a fine brown stone wall, and the
entrance is through iron gates of massive propor-
tions. There are five hundred and fifty pupils in
this school, the high school department number-
ing fifty-five students. For eleven years Pro-
fessor Hemminger has been in charge of the high
school, and is regarded as one of the most popu-
lar and competent instructors connected with the
public school system of the Lehigh valley.

In the year of his removal to Weatherly, Pro-
fessor Hemminger was united in marriage to
Miss Mattie C. Williams, a daughter of Oscar
H. and Ella Williams, of Nicholson, Wyoming
county, Pennsylvania, and they now have one
son, Graham L., who was born February 15,
1896. Mr. Hemminger is quite well known in
Masonic circles, being a member of Hazelton
Lodge, No. 327, F. and A. M., and Hazelton
Chapter, No. 277, R. A. M.

J. C. SENDEE, deceased, who for many
years was one of the progressive business men of
Weatherly, was born in Mahoning township. Car-
bon county, Pennsylvania, August 10, 1852.

His boyhood clays, were spent on the home
farm, and his early education was acquired in
the common schools of his native township. Later
he entered Palatinate College at Myerstown,
Pennsylvania, and was subsequently a student in



I



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



335



the Allentown Business College. When he had
complied his education he taught school for five
consecutive years with excellent success. In
1874 he removed to W'eatherly, and there entered
upon what proved a prosperous business career,
and one which contributed to the welfare and
progress of the borough, as well as to his indi-
vidual success. He became an extensive contrac-
tor and builder, and also a well known merchant,
dealing in lumber, coal, hardware, farming im-
plements and carpenter's supplies. In 1887 he
purchased the hardware store of J. J. Kressley,
and in connection with its conduct he became the
senior member of the firm of Sendel & Rouse, of
Lehighton. He was extremely active in the in-
dustrial development of his town, and it was
through his influence that the Weatherly Electric
Light Company was formed. The silk mill was
encouraged by his fostering care, and, in fact,
his co-operation was counted upon as a factor in
the development of almost every important com-
mercial or industrial interest of the borough. He
was a director of the foundry and machine shop
and manager of the company ; a director of the
Anthracite Building, and Loan Association ; and
a director of the First National Bank of Weath-
erly. In 1899 he purchased the Weatherly roller
mills, which were built by George E. Witmer in
1894. This plant has a capacity of twenty barrels
of flour per day, is operated by steam power, and
is furnished with the latest and most modern
roller process. Thus, through the exercise of his
industry, unabating energy and business sagacity,
he won for himelf an honored name in industrial
and commercial circles, and gained the success
which is the direct outcome of diligence guided
by sound judgment.

In matters relative to the welfare of the bor-
ough outside of the direct line of business, he was
also active, being largely instrumental in form-
ing the fire department, of which he became the
chief. He gave his political allegiance to the
Republican party, and he was so popular as to
gain the support of both parties when chosen for
the position of councilman, and filled other posi-
tions of trust and responsibility. He was a
member of Hazelton Lodge, No. 327, F. and



A. M., and also of the Knights of Pythias fra-
ternity, and he belonged to the Lutheran church,
of which his family are also members.

In 1877 Mr. Sendel was united in marrir.ge
to Miss \'esta Blose, a daughter of Simon and
Harriet Blose, of Bowman's, Pennsylvania, and
they have become the parents of six children :
Robert C, Ario, Hattie, Carrie, Austin and Ken-
neth. Since the death of the father the estate
has been managed by the eldest son, Robert C.
a young man of excellent business ability, execu-
tive power and keen discrimination. Mr. Sendel
passed away December 6, 1902. His life record
forms a history of unwearied industry, and the
exercise of native powers crowned by successful
accomplishment. He was quick to note oppor-
tunity, to shape conditions to his own need, and
ever followed closely the methods which not only
win success but gain an honored name.

LEONARD PECKITT, the president of the
Empire Steel and Iron Company of Catasauqua,
Pennsylvania, is a native of England. He came
to this country in 1882.

His first employment was with the Reading
Iron Company, at Reading, Pennsylvania, where
he served in the capacity of analytical chemist
for seven years. In 1889 he moved to Cata-
sauqua, and was there engaged as head chemist,
and afterward as superintendent of the Crane
Iron Works, holding that position until 1894,
when he was elected president of the company,
whose general offices were in the citv of Phila-
delphia. In 1898 Mr. Peckitt was instrumental
in organizing the Empire Steel and Iron Com-
pany, a New Jersey corporation, which at once
purchased two blast furnaces at Reading, Penn-
sylvania, one at Tapton and one at Macungie,
together with large ore-bearing properties in
southern New Jersey. Subsequently the Empire
Company also purchased the entire stock of the
Crane Iron Ccmpany, thus completing the forma-
tion of one of the largest independent eastern fur-
nace properties. Mr. Peckitt is also president of
the -Sheffield Coal and Iron Company of Birming-
ham. Alabama, of the Stonegap Colliery Com-
pany at Norton, Virginia, and of the Wise Ter-



Z2>^



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



minal Railroad Company at Glamorgan, Vir-
ginia. He is also a director of the Catasauqua
National liank.

MORRIS D. HOOVEN is a member of the
firm of Hooven Brothers, merchants of Weath-
erly, his partner being Walter A. Hooven. They
are the sons of H. Alexander Hooven, and
grandsons of Henry Hooven, who was a black-
smith by trade and followed that pursuit through-
out his entire life in Pennsylvania. He married
Margaret Haslet and they became the parents of
seven children, five sons and two daughters, but
only one, Mrs. Josiah W. Smith, is new living.

Their son, H. Alexander Hooven, was born at
Beaver Meadows, Pennsylvania, and became an
extensive and prosperous business man of Hazel-
ton, Pennsylvania, where he was engaged in deal-
ing in house furnishing goods. Aside from his
business in Hazelton, he was interested with his
brothers in a nursery at Burlington, New Jersey,
and they were also the owners and publishers of
the Commercial Advertiser, of Philadelphia ; and
owners of a powder mill at Ouakake \'alley,
Pennsylvania, and of an artificial tooth factory
which they conduct at West Philadelphia. Alex-
ander Hooven possessed marked business enter-
prise and industrial skill, as well as keen fore-
siglit, and his prominence in commercial and in-
dustrial circles was widely acknowledged. In
Hazelton, Pennsylvania, he became secretary of
the Mercantile Association. He finally removed to
Weatherlv. He was a member of the Masonic
fraternity, and in his life exemplified the teach-
ings of the craft. His death occurred in if-'yo,
and his widow still survives him, and now car-
ries on the millinery department of the Hooven
Brothers' store. She bore the maiden name of
Priscilla S. Davis, and was born in Wales. Her
only children are Walter A. and Morris D.
Hooven, who constitute the firm of Hooven
Brothers.

Walter A, Hooven was born in Weatherly
August 5, 1866, and Morris D. Hooven in Hazel-
ton, Pennsylvania, on the 24th of December, 7867.
Both were educated in Hazleton and Weatherly,
the latter named graduating from the high school



of the latter place in 1887. They established their
present mercantile enterprise on the 15th of No-
vember, 1898. Their store is pleasing and attrac-
tive in appearance, the goods being well ar-
ranged and carefully selected, and an air of enter-
prise and progress pervades the place. Already
they have attained very gratifying success. In
]niblic aiifairs and in other walks of life the
Hooven Brothers have also been prominent and
influential. Morris D. Hcoven is the treasurer of
the board of trade of Weatherly, and was the first
president of the fire department of Weath-
erly, which position he filled with distinc-
tion for seven years. He is still con-
nected with the department, and at the
present writing he is he honorary vice presi-
dent of the State Firemen's Association. He w-as
a member of a committee of three representing
the school interests in the construction of the
Mrs. C. M. Schwab public school building at
Weatherly. Walter A. Hooven is a natural mu-
sician and has attained more than local note as a
composer.

The latter named was united in marriage, Oc-
tober 22, 1893, to Miss Susie Cheeseman, a
daughter of F'eter Cheeseman, and to them have
been born four children : Margaret, Ruth, Wal-
ter and Elizabeth. On the 6th of June, 1894, oc-
curred the marriage of Morris D. Hooven and
Miss Laura E. Rouse, a daughter of the Hon.
Daniel and Sarah N. Rouse, and they have an
interesting little son, Morris D. Hooven. Jr.

GEORGE ORMROD, of .\llentown, Pennsyl-
vania, has been a promoter of several important
business enterprises of coal, iron, and cement that
have contributed to the development and sub-
stantial upbuilding of the Lehigh \'alley, and is
todav progressive and active in the management
of his business aft'airs, and may well be called one
of the Captains of Industries.

He was born July 13, 1839, at Pre.ston, Lan-
cashire, England, and when nineteen years of age
left Manchester, England, May i", 1839. for the
United States, to visit his uncle, \\'illiam Donald-
son (his mother's brother), who was then pro-
prietor of a large anthracite colliery in Tamaqua,,





^2yi^<f^'?^'-iA-z/-^^



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



337



Scliu_\Ikill county, Pennsvlvania. ^Ir. Ormrod
had one brother and two sisters, children of
George and Margaret Ormrod (his brother and
one sister are still living in England) and when
less than two years old, owing to the death of his
father, he was taken to raise by an uncle and aunt,
to Manchester, England, and in his early boyhood
days attended the Quaker schools and later was
educated in the private schools of that city. He
also attended the School of Design for Mechanical
Engineering, and later worked nearly two years in
a railway locomotive erecting shop, just previous
to his leaving England for the L'nited States,
May 17, 1859.

Mr. Ormrod married in 1861, Permilla John-
son, the oldest daughter of John H. and Cather-
ine H. Johnscn, of Tamaqua, Pennsylvania, and
soon after joined his father-in-law, Mr. Johnson
(formerlv of the firm of Radcliff & Johnson, col-
liery proprietors at Tamaqua and Heaver ]Mead-
ows, Pennsylvania, ) in the operation of an anthra-
cite colliery at Tamaqua for several years.

Later Mr. Ormrod, with his father-in-law,
Mr. Johnson, and his cousin, John Donaldson,
with several others, built in 1865 and 1866 and
operated until December, 1879, the Girard I\Iam-
moth Colliery at Raven Run, Schuylkill county,
Pennsylvania. Mr. Ormrcd lived at Raven Run
from 1867 to 1877, during the troubles with the
Mollie Maguires, and soon after he moved to
Philadelphia. Mr. Ormrod was the superintend-
ent and a director, and was finally made president
of the company, and in 1879 they sold the colliery
to the Philadelphia & Reading Coal and Iron
Company.

Mr. Ormrod during these same years was also
a stockholder and director in the St. Nicholas
Coal Company, operating the St. Nicholas Col-
liery near Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania, and was
later made president cf the company, and during
this time, 1878 to 1881, he resided in German-
town, Philadelphia. They finally sold the colliery
to the Philadelphia & Reading Coal and Iron
Company.

In .A.ugust, 1880, Mr. Ormrod took temporary
charge of the Kevley Run Colliery at Shenan-
doah, Pennsylvania, owned by the Thomas Coal

22



Company. The mine was on fire, and while mak-
ing an examination on September ist with the
mine foreman, at a depth of five hundred feet
below the surface, an explosion occurred, killing
one foreman and injuring several others. Mr.
Ormrod received several bruises, his left foot
being the most severe, but he recovered in a
month's time.

In 1880 Mr. Ormrod, with his cousin, John
Donaldson, and W. S. Thomas, of Philadelphia,
and H. H. Fisher, of Allentown, Pennsylvania,
leased the Emaus Blast Furnace from the Phila-
delphia & Reading Coal and Iron Company, for
the purpose of manufacturing pig iron, under the
firm name of Ormrod, Fisher & Companv, and
after two years' operation the furnace was put
out of blast; and. owing to the depression in the
pig iron trade, the furnace lease was given up a
few years later. In 1883 the same parties pur-
chased land near the furnace, and buih the Emaus
Pipe Foundry fcr manufacturing cast iron pipe
and special castings for water and gas, for street
mains ; the business being conducted until 1886,
when the firm was changed to a corporation and
called the Donaldson Iron Company, of which
]Mr. Ormrcd has been general manager and treas-
urer, also a director, since 1880. The works
have been enlarged several times and now give
steady employment to about five hundred men,
and the yearly product amounts to about 36,000
gross tons of cast iron pipe and other castings.
They own over fifty acres of land ; also their own
water supply and electric light and power plant,
and have a well equipped machine shop and pat-
tern shop, with modern machinery, in connection
with the pipe foundry. They have been in contin-
uous operation during the past twenty years, and
have been very successful and prosperous.

In 1893 ^^^- Ormrod joined Thcmas D. Whit-
aker, his son-in-law, in organizing the W'hitaker
Cement Company, for manufacturing Portland
cement, at ^^'hitaker Station, on the Lehigh Val-
ley Railroad, three miles east cf Phillipsburg, New
Jersey. This was the first Portlantl cement plant
ever built in New Jersey, and the second plant in
the United States to make Portland cement bv the
rotary kiln method. Mr. Wliitaker contracted a



338



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



severe cold wliich caused his death March 7,
1896, and soon after the name of the company
was changed to the Alpha Portland Cement Com-
pany, Alpha, New Jersey, in which Mr. Ormrod
and his daughter, ]\lrs. Whitaker, still retain a
large interest.

In 1897 ^Ir. Ormrcd, in company with Col-
onel H. C. Trexler, E. M. Young and Charles A.
Matcham, and others, organized the Lehigh Port-
land Cement Company, of Allentown, of which
Mr. Ormrod is the vice-president, having cement
works at Ormrod, and West Coplay, Pennsyl-
vania ; alsO' at Wellston, Ohio, and Mitchell, In-
diana. The company has been very progressive
and prosperous, and are now manufacturing
about eleven thousand barrels of Portland cement
daily.

Mr. Ormrod is also president of the White-
hall Street Railway Company, a trolley line about
five miles long, running from Egypt to Levans,
on the Slatington Line.

Mr. Ormrod is a charter member and was also
for three years prior to March, 1904, president of
.the Livingston Club, cf Allentown, the leading
social organization of the city, with a member-
ship of about one hundred and fifty of the prom-
inent business and professional men of the town.
He is also a member of the Pomfret Club, of
Easton, Pennsylvania. His political support is
given the Republican party. He has had con-
tinuous good health and been active all his life.
He and his family are members of Grace Episco-
pal Church, of Allentown. Mr. Ormrod belongs
to no secret organizations, but has been a member
of the Franklin Institute of Philadelphia for
manv years, and a member of the American Insti-
tute of Mining Engineers since 1881 : is also a
member of the Pennsylvania Society of New York
City.

?ilr. Ormrod's mother died December i, 1895,
at Preston, England, in her ninetieth year. Her
maiden name was ^largaret Donaldscn.

Mr. Ormrod lias five children, all living: Mar-
garet, the oldest, who married Charles A
Alatcham, formerly superintendent of the Alpha
P'^rtland Cement Company, and now manager of
the Lehisrh Portland Cement Works.



Catherine, widow of the late Thomas D. Whit-
aker, late of the Whitaker Cement Company, and
mother of one child, a boy, named Francis.

John Donaldson Ormrod, who is married, and
is superintendent of the Donaldson Iron Works
at Emaus.

Mary A. is single and lives at home with her
parents.

Fannie Markland Ormrod is the wife of John
F. Saeger, of the Saeger Milling Company, at
Allentown.

In 1897 Mr. Ormrod built a beautiful home at
No. 1227 Hamilton street, Allentown, where he
now resides.

DANIEL YODER, who for almost a half
century has been engaged in the practice of med-
icine and surgery at Catasauqua, was born in
Maxatawney township, Berks county, Pennsyl-
vania, September 30, 1833, and traces his an-
cestry back through successive generations to
1717, when the first of the name of Huguenot
faith came to America, settling in C)lev town-
ship, Berks county. The grandfather of Dr.
Yoder and his father, David Yoder, were both
natives of this state, and were farmers by occu-
pation. The latter was born in Berks county,
April 10, 1804, and in 1834 removed to White-
hall township, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania,
where he remained until 1847, when he went to
Northampton county, settling cn a farm near
Bath. There his death occurred in 1851. He
wedded Mary Levan, who was born December
19, 18-13, in Berks county, and was also of
French Huguenot lineage. She was a daughter
of William Levan, a farmer of Maxatawney
township, and her death occurred in Catasauqua,

Pennsylvania, in 1873. By her marriage she be-
came the mother of eleven children, of whom Dr.
Yoder is the eldest.

Alfred Yoder, second of the family, married
Levina Brader and reared a family. Thomas

(3d) married Emmclinc George, and had two
children — Henry, who is a flour merchant of Indi-
anapolis, Indiana; and Stella. Hannah (4th) is

the wife of Nathan Sn}der and liad nine children.

\\'illiam f5th) marriod Susan Ray, and reared a



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



339



family. Sarah (6th) became the wife of \M11-
iam Rice, and after his death of Edwin McHose,



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 60 of 92)