John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 62 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 62 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cious investment in real estate, and for many
years he has been actively engaged in operating
in property, owning considerable realty in
Weatherly.

In public affairs Mr. Lauderburn has been
prominent and influential in his adopted town,
and his efforts in behalf of public progress and
improvement have been beneficial to the bcrough.
He served Weatherly as a school director for
seven years, and he is now (in 1904) treasurer of
the Weatherly Water Company, in which he is
also a heavy stockholder. Socially he is a mem-
ber of Hazel Lodge, No. 327, F. A. M., of
Hazelton, Pennsylvania, and religiously he is
connected with the Methodist Episcopal church,
in which he was a steward and also trustee. For
twenty-five years he has been a faithful and con-
sistent member of the church at Weatherly.

Mr. Lauderburn was married in 1849 to Miss
Margaret Deuel, of Tamaqua, Schuylkill county,
Pennsylvania, and to them were born seven chil-
dren, si.x of whom reached years of maturity,
namely: Albert H., Ella, Mary, Frederick, John
and Edward. Of these Mary and John are now
deceased. Mr. Lauderburn has passed the eigh-
tieth milestone on life's journey, and his has ever
been an honorable, useful and active career, in




C2£i^^^'<^.^^J^^



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



345



which his well directed and intelligent efforts
have brought to him success, while his honorable
methods have gained for him the respect and
confidence of his fellow men.

ALBERT JOHN DANIEL GUTH, who
was the oldest hotel proprietor of Allentown, and
who conducted the Lafayette Hotel, was born in
1849, on the old family homestead of the Guth
family, in South Whitehall township, Lehigh
county, Pennsylvania.

He was a representative in the fifth genera-
tion of the family that was founded in America
by Lorendze Guth. In the early part of July,
1738, the ship "Thistle" left Zweibucken, on the
river Rhine, Captain John Wilson, of Rotter-
dam, commanding, with three hundred German
emigrants on board, bound for the new world,
and after a pleasant but long voyage of about
fifty days anchor was dropped in the harbor of
Philadelphia, in September, 1738. Part of the
voyagers went to what is now North Carolina,
but subsequently returned to Pennsylvania. The
others at once established homes for themselves
in the north part of this state, and among these
was Lorendze Guth and his wife.

In his native land Lorendze Guth had been
a commissioner of forestry, and on one of his
scouting tips discovered w'hat he supposed to be
a bear, but upon firing he discovered that he had
shot a man. He immediately gave himself up,
and after a hearing was exonerated and dis-
charged, but so keen was his regret over the ac-
cident that the familiar haunts had lost their
charm for him, and he determined to emigrate to
the new world. Previous to this he had taken
up three hundred and fifty acres of land along the
Jordan river, in Whitehall township, Lehigh
county, and he increased his realty possessions
by purchases made from Nicholas Kern, Richard
Kohler and Thomas and Richard Penn. until he
was the owner of one thousand acres. He built
thereon a stone house which is still owned and
occupied by Eli J. Guth, having never been out of
possession of a member of the family.

Lorendze Guth, the founder of the family in
America, had si.x children : Lorendze, Jr., who



married, and had nine children ; Adam, who mar-
ried Barbara Strickler, and had eleven children ;
I 'eter, who married, and had two children ; Julia
Ann, who became the wife of Peter Kohler ; Eva
Barbara, wife of George Henry Alertz ; and Mar-
garet, wife of Adam Dorney.

Lorendze Guth, Jr., married jMargaret
Xander, and had a large family, one of whom,
Daniel Guth, married ]\largaret Wieder. They
became the parents of Edward Guth, who is the
father of Albert John Daniel Guth. He was also
born on the old family homestead, and became a
prosperous farmer of his community in an early
day, owning a large and valuable tract cf land.
He married Polly Tro.xell. and they had two sons,
the elder being Clinton Guth, who married Ida
Hoflinian, and had three children, Jennie, Han-
nah and Mabel. Of these, Jennie married Elmer
Newhardt, and has one child, Ida ; while Hannah
became the wife of Clinton Kuhns, and has a
daughter, Florence, and a son, Albert.

Albert Guth was a student in the public
schools in his early boyhood days prior to enter-
ing the normal school conducted by Professor
Hefifner, at Siegersville, Pennsylvania. On put-
tine aside his text books he continued the work
of the farm in connection with his father, and as-
sisted in its further cultivation and development
until twenty-one years of age, when he started
out in life on his own account. He rented sev-
eral farms, operating these in turn, having at
times as much as one hundred and seventy-five
acres of land under cultivation. He carried on a
general farm business until i886, when he came
to Allentown, and in com]3any with his father-in-
law, Joseph Kressly, purchased the old Lafayette
Hotel property. This they conducted together
until 1893, when 'Sir. Guth purchased Mr. Kress-
ly's interest, and since then imtil his death, Marcli
18, 1904, conducted the business alone. He was
the oldest hotel proprietor of .Allentown, and his
was one of the best family hotels in the county.
Mr. Guth gave his political allegiance to the
Democracy, and he and his family were members
of the Reformed church.

He married Sarah Kressly, a daughter of Jo-
seph and Lydia (Bittner) Kressly. Her pater-



346



HISTORIC HOAIES AND INSTITUTIONS.



nal grandparents were Jacob and Hannah
(Moyer) Kressly. Her maternal grandfather
was Jacob Bittner, who married Miss Werley.
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Kressly were the parents
of six children : Frank, who died in infancy ;
Sarah, now Mrs'. Guth ; Acquilla, the wife of
Penn D. Good, by whom she has one son, Arthur ;
Alvin, deceased ; Emma, who became the wife of
George Grim, by whom she had two children,
George and Lizzie, the latter now deceased, as is
their father, and since his deatli the widow has
become the wife of Henry C. Nicola ; and How-
ard, who completes the Kressly family. To Mr.
and Mrs. Guth have been born three children,
Henry, died in infancy ; Elmer Alvin, who mar-
ried Barbara Guth ; and George E. K. Guth.

SOLOMON D. RINKER, justice of the
peace and manager of the Elmer Warner depart-
ment store in Weatherly, was born in Packer
township, Carbon county, Pennsylvania, on the
20th of December, 1863.

There are many ancestral homes in Pennsyl-
vania, where have resided several generations of
the family. Mr. Rinker is a representative of
one of the old families of the state, founded here
at an early period in the development of the com-
monwealth. His paternal grandfather, John
Rinker, was an extensive lumberman of Columbia
county, Pennsylvania, and in his family were six
children : Robert, John, Soloiuon, Oliver, Alary
and Anna. Of this number Solomon Rinker
was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, and
was a man of intelligence and scholarly attain-
ments, who devoted ten years of his life to the
v\'ork of school teaching, in which he was very
successful. In community interests he took an
active and helpful part, and during fifteen years
served as justice of the peace in Packer town-
ship, Carbon county. He made a most creditable
record because of his fairness and impartiality.
After arriving at years of maturity he wedded
Aliss Elizabeth Faust, whose birth occurred in
Packer township. Carbon county, Pennsylvania.
She was a daughter of John Faust, a native of
Berks county, Pennsylvania, and one of the pio-
neer settler of Packer township, Carbon county.



There he secured large tracts of land and carried
on farming on an extensive scale. He had thir-
teen children, two of whom are now living — Mrs.
Kate Keller, and Henry, of Mahanoy City,
Pennsylvania. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Rinker were
born eleven children, eight of whom are yet liv-
ing: Henry, William, Caroline, Rosanna, Jonas,
Lizzie, Solomon D., and Lucinda.

Solomon D. Rinker, whose name introduces
this record, was born in Packer township. Carbon
county, Pennsylvania, December 20, 1863, and
spent his boyhood days in his parents' home,
whence he was sent to the public schools. He is
a graduate of the Weatherly high school, having
removed to the borough of Weatherly in 1877,
when fourteen years of age. His life has largely -
been devoted to clerical work in connection with
mercantile interests in Weatherly, and his serv-
ice has always bcenc most satisfactory to those by
whom he has been employed. For thirteen years
he acted as bookkeeper in the large department
store owned by Elmer Warner, and in 1904 he
was promoted to the position of manager, thus
being given the entire charge of the establish-
ment. He is well qualified for the work, having
become familiar with the business in principle and
detail, and in control of the establishment is dis-
playing marked enterprise and capabilit}-.

Mr. Rinker was united in marriage in 1886 to
Miss Susie Harrison, and they became the pa-
rents of two children, Harry and Fay, who are
now students. Having lost his first wife, he was
again married, in May, 1894, his second union
being with Mrs. Ketchem, nee Amer, who by
her former marriage had two sons, \\'altcr and
Clyde Ketchem, who are also in school.

j\Ir. Rinker is one of the popular and prom-
inent residents of the borough of Weatherly, and
has given active co-operation and material as-
sistance to many movements and measures for
the general good. He served as borough auditor
for three years, and is now filling the office of
justice of the peace, to which he was elected in
1897. He is a member of the Patriotic Order of
Sons of America, and of the Independent Order
of Red Men, and as a consistent member of the
Reformed church he is taking an active and help-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



347



fill interest in its various activities, being super-
intendent of the Sunday school at this writing in
1904.

CHARLES GILBERT. Although Charles
Gilbert passed away in 1863, he is yet remem-
bered by many of the older residents of Weath-
erly as one of the pioneer citizens of the borough
who assisted materially in its upbuilding, devel-
opment and improvement. He was born in what
is now ^Monroe county, Pennsylvania, on the 20th
of June, 1817, and was a son of Samuel Gilbert,
also a native of Monroe county. He was a cooper
by trade, and in connection with work at that
vocation was extensively engaged in farming.
He served his country as a soldier in the war of
1812, and was descended from an ancestry well
represented in the war for independence. His
religious faith was that of the Quakers, or So-
ciety of Friends. He married a Miss Butz, and
to them were born five children : Mary, Lydia,
Charles, Peter and Sarah A.

Charles Gilbert was reared upon his father's
farm, and the common schools of the neighbor-
hood afforded him his early educational privi-
leges. From his boyhood days he assisted in the
work of the fields, but in his youth he also learned
the carpenter's trade, and during the construction
of the Lehigh canal he served as gang boss in the
building of the locks and dams. His work, how-
ever, was all destroyed when the locks and dams
were carried away in the great flood of 1841. J\Ir.
Gilbert was afterward employed by the
Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company, as
a builder and contractor. He removed to
Weatherly on the 3d of April, 1843, and
there purchased considerable property, while
later he became owner of a hotel which had
formerly been the property of a IMr. jMcDowell,
who was the first landlord in Weatherly. Will-
iam Tubbs bought the property of the original
owner, and JNIr. Gilbert became its third owner.
After removing to Weatherly he erected ten
houses, which were occupied by the men who re-
moved to this place in order to operate the shops
of the Lehigh Railroad Company. This was the
early beginning of the borough, and from that



time until his death Mr. Gilbert took an active
and helpful part in the upbuilding and material
improvement of the locality. While his early
school advantages were limited, through experi-
ence, observation and reading he acquired a good
fund of practical knowledge which enabled him
to overcome many difficulties and obstacles in
life and utilize his opportunities to the best ad-
vantage. He was a selfmade man in the true
sense of the term, and through his capable con-
trol of his business interests and the judicious
use of his earnings he became a well-to-do citi-
zen, accumulating quite a large amount of
property. Mr. Gilbert is remembered by those
who knew him as a man of most genial, jovial
nature, of kindly spirit and generous purpose,
and made for himself a host of friends. In public
affairs he was always interested in a helpful prac-
tical way, and he served his county as commis-
sioner for one term and his borough as school
director. Socially he was connected with the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows. His death oc-
curred in the year 1863, and his wife, long sur-
viving him, passed away in 1900.

The home life of Mr. Gilbert was a happy
one. He was married December 27, 1840, to
Miss j\lary Siglin, of Monroe county, Pennsyl-
vania, and they became the parents of four chil-
dren, namely : Sarah A. ; Stisan E. and Joseph,
both deceased : and Mary J. The last named be-
came the wife of Samuel Croll, and to them were
born si.x children : Elizabeth, Gilbert, Elsie,
Emily. Clara and Samuel. The first named,
Sarah A. Gilbert, was born in what is now J\Ion-
roe county, Pennsylvania, on the 13th of July,
1842, and on the 14th of Alarch. 185S, she gave
her hand in marriage to William Hann, who was
born in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania. He
was there reared and educated, and in 1867 re-
moved to Carbon county, Pennsylvania, where he
became an extensive farmer, successfully carry-
ing on agricultural pursuits for over a third of a
century. His life was ever upright and honor-
able, being in consistent liarmony with his prin-
ciples as a member of the ]\Iethodist Episcopal
church. Socially he affiliated with the Indepen-
dent Order of Odd Fellows. His death occurred



348



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



in the year 1900. To Mr. and Mrs. Hann were
born ten children, of whom six are now Hving,
namely: Charles G., George R., William N.,
Mary J., Delia M. and Edna C. Hann.

OWEN J. KISTLER, whose activity in bus-
iness affairs made him one of the valued resi-
dents of Weatherly, was a descendant of an old
Palatinate family whose history is recorded else-
where in this volume. He was born in Lynn
township, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, in 1849,
his parents being Jonas J. and Lavina (Brob'st)
Kistler, both cf whom were natives of Lehigh
county. The father has devoted his life to agri-
cultural pursuits, and is now living in 1904 at
the advanced age of eighty-one years, but his
wife passed away in 1900. They were the pa-
rents of ten children, six of whom are living,
namely : Samuel, Jonas, Matilda, Lydia, Louisa
and Polly.

Owen J. Kistler spent his boyhood days upon
the home farm, as had his forefathers, and early
became familiar with the work of tilling the
soil. The public school system of his native
township afforded him his educational privi-
leges, and in early manhood he made a trip to
the west in order to see the country and broaden
his views by coming in touch with other men and
minds. He soon returned, however, satisfied to
make his home in his native state. In the early
years of his manhood he carried on agricultural
pursuits, and in 1889 he removed to Weatherly,
where he turned his attention to the coal business,
and in connection with dealing in that commodity
he also conducted a livery stable, following his
dual pursuit for six years. On the expiration of
that period he established a furniture and under-
taking store in connection with Edwin F. War-
ner, in which business he continued with profit
for eight years. In all of his trade transactions
he was honorable and straightforward, and he
found that integrity and industry constituted the
key that unlocked the portals of success. While
leading an active business life he yet found time
and opportunity to serve his fellow townsmen in
various official positions. He served as constable,
councilman, assessor, street commissioner, mem-



ber of the board of health and mercantile ap-
praiser, and was ever prompt and faithful in the
discharge of the duties which thus devolved upon
him. Socially he was affiliated with the Knights
of Malta, and religiously he was a member of the
Lutheran church, in which he served as deacon
and trustee.

In 1873 Mr. Kistler was united in marriage
to Miss Lydia Kistler, who died four months
later. On the 12th of March, 1875, he wedded
]\Iiss Henrietta Steigerwalt, of Schuylkill county,
Pennsylvania, who was born on the 12th of July,
1856, They became the parents of ten children,
nine of whom are yet living: Calvin J., who mar-
ried Miss Maggie Mooney, by whom he had two
children, Henrietta and Jason: Mary E.. who
became the wife of Julius Oliver, and is the
mother of three children, Esther, Russell and Cal-
vin ; Kate, who is the wife of Erasmus Druken-
miller; Lizzie L., Barbara L., Gertrude L,, Una
A., Bertha I. and Wilbur J. In 1890 Mr. Kistler
erected a very commodious and handsome resi-
dence which occupies an excellent building site,
and there he spent his remaining days, passing
away November 18, 1900, at the age of fifty-
one years. Widely and favorably known in the
borough, his death was deeply regretted not only
bv his immediate family but also by many friends.
His widow, who is held in high esteem through-
out the community, yet occupies the home which
was built by her husband.

HENRY A. GRAA'ER. Among the pro-
gressive and therefore prosperous manufacturers
of the borough of Lehighton, Carbon county,
Pennsylvania, may be mentioned the name of
Henry A. Graver, the successor of his father in
the brick manufacturing business, who is de-
scended from an ancient and honorable family of
that name who succeeded the Moravians in the
possession of the land lying between Bridge and
Mahoning streets.

The pioneer ancestor of the American branch
of the family was Henrich Graver, a German,
who immigrated in 1732 in company with others.
Among the children born to him was a son,
Henry Graver, grandfather of Henry A. Graver.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



349



He was a native of ^Montgomery county, Penn-
sylvania, followed the occupations of farmer and
tanner, and was one of the thrifty and worthy
citizens of that section of the state. His first
wife, whose name is unknown, bore him two chil-
dren, and his second wife, Elizabeth (Ux)
Graver, bore him the following named children :
Henry, Anthony, Lewis, Kate, Sallie, Polly, Eva
and Julia A. Graver.

Lewis Graver, father of Henry A. Graver,
was born in Montgomery county, Pennsylvania,
in January, 1811. His early childhood was spent
on a farm, and his educational advantages were
limited to a very brief duration. In 1823, when
in his twelfth year, his father removed to Le-
highton, Carbon county, and their time was fully
occupied in clearing the land and tanning hides.
Subsequently Lewis was engaged in the con-
struction of the Lehigh Canal, and after the
completion of that work he was employed by the
same company, the Lehigh Coal Navigation
Company, to operate one of their boats. Later
in life he and his brother. Andrew Graver, en-
tered into partnership in the building of boats,
but after a brief period of time Lewis disposed
of his interest to his brother, and then purchased
about two hundred acres of land, as above de-
scribed, where he conducted general farming for
about thirty-five years. During this period of
time he operated a milk route at Mauch Chunk,
subsequently shipped the product of liis dairy to
other markets, and also established a brick yard
which he operated with success for eighteen
years. He retired from active pursuits in 1881,
his son Henry A. succeeding to the business.
Lewis Graver served as assessor of Mahoning
township, and councilman of Lehighton. He was
a faithful member of the Reformed church, in
which he held the office of deacon.

In 1842 Lewis Graver was united in mar-
riage to Leah Lauchner, who was born in 1820,
in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, and who is still
living at the advanced age of eighty-four years.
Ten children were born to them, eight of whom
grew to maturity, and those living at the pres-
ent time (1904) are: Mrs. Elizabeth Seller.
Mrs. Alvenia W'estlake, Henry A., Lafavette and



Airs. Emma Thomas. Lewis Graver, father of
these children, died January 20, 1892.

Henry A. Graver was born in Lehighton,
Carbon county, September 17, 1858. He was
reared and educated in his native town, and dur-
ing his early life he assisted his father with the
agricultural pursuits on the homestead, and also
began his connection with the brick making busi-
ness. His services were mostly in demand at
the brickyard, where he delighted to work in the
clay, and in this manner he gained a thorough
knowledge of the details of the business. This
proved most useful to him in the management of
the works when he succeeded his father in 1884,
and since that date he has continued to make
brick of the finest building material. He has
always taken an active interest in local affairs,
especially in all pertaining to educational mat-
ters, and has served as school director in the
first ward of the borough of Lehighton. He is a
member of the Knights of Malta.

On July 30, 1888, Mr. Graver was married
to Catherine Hoats, born September 7, 1868, a
daughter of George and ]\lary Hoats. Their chil-
dren are: Ralph H., born in 189 1 ; Stanley H.,
born in 1894 ; and Bertha, born in 1898.

PHILIP STORM, an esteemed and repre-
sentative citizen of Catasauqua, Lehigh county,
Pennsylvania, is well and favorably known in the
community, and his high reputation and material
prosperity are the reward of unusual natural
ability, industriously applied. He prospered in
his business career, and for the past fifteen years
has been leading a life retired from active pur-
suits. He was born on the Rhine, in Bavaria,
Germany, September 12, 1829, a son of John and
Elizabeth (ShatTcr) Storm, both of whom were
natives of Bavaria, where they lived and died,
and their family consisted of eight children. John
Strom (father) followed agricultural pursuits,
and he also devoted considerable attention to the
sale of wine, wlicat. tobacco and hops. His
death occurred in the vear 1832.

Philip Storm obtained a practical education
in his mother tongue, attending the comnirn
schools until he was fourteen years of age, when



35°



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



he began an apprenticeship at the trade of tailor,
at which he worked until eighteen years of age.
In 1848, after deciding to test the business oppor-
tunities of the new world, he left Antwerp in a
sailing vessel, and after a voyage of fifty days
duration landed in New York city. He located
in Elizabethtown, New Jersey, and from there
walked the entire distance to Catasauqua, Lehigh
county, becoming one of the early settlers of that
town. For a short period of time he was em-
ployed on the canal under the supervision of
Nathan Van Horn, and during the same year
he went to Mauch Chunk, where for nine years
he loaded coal on the boats along the wharf. In
1858 he returned to Catasauqua and was em-
ployed in the limestone quarries. During the
dark days of the rebellion, when his adopted
country was in danger of disruption, he willingly,
in the face of friendly opposition, left his com-
fortable home, his loving wife and five young
children, to defend and maintain the integrity of
the country to which he had sworn to be loyal.
In October, 1862, he enlisted in Company D,
One Hundred and Seventy-sixth Regiment Penn-
sylvania Infantry, and was mustered in for nine
months service. The regiment was ordered to
Virginia, where it performed provost duty at
Suffolk and Norfolk, and he was honorably dis-
charged from the service of the United States
government, at Philadelphia, August 18, 1863.

After his return to civil life Mr. Storm se-
cured employment as foreman with the Cata-
sauqua jManufacturing Company, in which capac-
ity he remained until 1889, when he started out
on the road as the representative of the company,
buying and selling scrap iron. During his twen-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 62 of 92)