John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 63 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 63 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ty-si.x years service as foreman his duties were
performed outside the store-house, the scales
being in his charge, and he assisted in building
the mill which was completed in December, 1863.
He traveled through Pennsylvania, New Jersey,
Delaware, and New York, shipping iron from all
points. This department of the trade he con-
ducted for himself, buying and shipping iron,
and then selling it to the firm on contract. He
achieved a well-merited success in the manage-
ment of this enterprise, the proceeds from his



sales amounting to the large sum of eighty-five
thousand dollars per year. In 1892 he erected
his beautiful residence at the corner of Lehigh
and Bridge streets, Catasauqua. He has also
erected seven other residences, five of which are
in the western part of the city and two in the
main part. Mr. Storm was a member of the
council for three years, was elected burgess in
1881, and re-elected the three successive years;
served as health officer for twelve years, and at
the county convention of 1875, he w'as honored
by the Republican party by being nominated for
sheriff', but was defeated by his Democratic op-
ponent. He holds membership in the Lutheran
church, in which he was an elder for many years.
He is a member of the Ancient, Free and Ac-
cepted Masons, Royal Arch Masons, Allen Com-
mandery. No. 20, Knights Templar, and Fuller
Post, No. 378, Grand Army of the Republic. In
1874 Mr. Storm paid a visit to the scenes of his
boyhood, the trip extending over a period of
three months.

In 185 1 Mr. Storm was united in marriage to
Gertrude Koch, a native of Germany, who died
in 1883. They were the parents of five children :
John, deceased ; William, a resident of Potts-
ville ; Sarah, who became the wife of A. E.
Seigfried, of Catasauqua ; Mary, who became the
wife of Peter Grishert ; and Lavina, who became
the wife of Allen Heckman, of Catasauqua. On
October 9, 1883, Mr. Storm married for his sec-
ond wife Sarah A. (Trollinger) Miller, widow
of John P. Miller, of Allentown, Pennsylvania,
and daughter of the late Samuel and j\Iary (Hof-
fert) Trollinger, natives of Doylestown and
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, respectively. Mrs.
Storm was the mother of a daughter by her
former marriage, Emma, who became the wife of
Mr. Cooper, of Pottsville.

HARRISON S. WIMMER, a popular hotel
proprietor of Butztown, Pennsylvania, took up
the business which his father had successfully
conducted for a number of years. He is prom-
inent in local affairs, and to the front in all
measures conducive to the improvement and
business advancement of the town.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



351



George Wimmer, the grandfather of Harri-
son S. Wimmer, married a woman named Roth,
and among his children was a son John, the
father of Harrison S. John was brought up on
his father's farm, and after a thorougii elemen-
tary education in the public schools, he learnetl
the milling business. He worked as a miller
until 1877, when he sold out his interests in the
mill and began dealing in live stock. For five
years he carried on a large business in the buying
and selling of cattle, and then he assumed the
management of a hotel in Eucks county. In 1887
he sold his business there and went to Farmers-
ville, Northampton county, where he became
manager and proprietor of the Farmersville
Hotel. This hotel, with another which he subse-
quently leased in Butztown, he conducted for six-
teen years, when he retired from business life.
In these years he has gained the hearty good will
of the public he has served, and has a wide ac-
quaintance in Northampton and adjoining coun-
ties. He is a member of the Lutheran church.
and gives his political support to the Democratic
party.

John Wimmer married Sarah Snyder, daugh-
ter of Peter and Catherine (Crouthamel) Sny-
der, and had a family of six children, as fol-
lows : I. Mary Ellen, who married Nathan Wam-
bold, and has one child, Harry ; 2. Harvey, who
married Tracie Nougesser, and has nine chil-
dren,— Edward, Charles, Bertha, Harrison, Am-
brose, ]\Iabel, Robert, Harry, Clara ; 3. Harrison
S., who is spoken of elsewhere ; 4. Amanda Pris-
cilla, who married Asher Laubach, but who has
no children; 5. Andrew W., who married Lo-
renda Koch and has one child, Howard ; 6.
Emma, who married Harry Flack.

Harrison S., third child and second son of
John and Sarah (Snyder) Wimmer, was born in
Bethlehem township, January 22, 1865. He was
educated in the public schools, and served his
time as a miller's apprentice. He did not, how-
ever, choose to follow the milling business as a
vocation and he assisted his father in the man-
agement of his hotels until 1889. In that year
he assumed the management of the Farmersville
House and conducted it successfullv for seven



years. He afterward came to Butztown and took
control of the hotel there in January, 1903. His
courtesy and his personal interest in the com-
fort of all guests of his house, have made him a
popular landlord, and won for him a large circle
of friends. He is active in public affairs of the
township, and a generous supporter of every good
cause. He is a member of the Lutheran church,
and his political affiliations are with the Demo-
cratic party.

He married Mary Sibila Gogel, daughter of
Jacob and Annie (Kleppinger) Gogel. Annie
Kleppinger was the daughter of William and
Lena (Etleman) Kleppinger, but of her hus-
band's parentage there is no record. She was
one of a family of three children, namelv : Alice,
who married first George Stout and had one
child, Mary. Her second husband was Conrad
Bender, to whom she bore one child, Charles.
2. Mary Sibila, who is the wife of Harrison S.
Wimmer; 3. Henry, who married Maggie Ellis
and has four children, — Annie, Jennie, Hattie,
and Ellen. i\Ir. and Mrs. Harrison S. Wimmer
have one child, Nettie ]May.

GEORGE WALTON, prominently and ac-
tively identified with the industrial, political and
social interests of Northampton county since
early manhood, and for almost half a century a
well known and influential resident of Butztown,
is a native of that section of the State, having
been born in Bushkill township, Northampton
county, Pennsylvania, Jul\' 12, 1832.

Abraham Walton, grandfather of George
Walton, was an active and public-spirited man,
who served with credit and distincticn during the
greater part of the war of 1812, and at the close
of hostilities received from the American gov-
ernment a tract of land in the vicinity of Spring-
field, Illinois, which consisted of one hundred
and sixty acres, which he sold. He resided in
Lower Nazareth, Nrrthampton count)-, and
reared a family of children, among whom was a
son, Enoch Walton.

Enoch W'aJton, father of George \\'alton,
after acquiring a public school education, began
his business career as a miller, but did not pur-



352



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



sue this line of industry as a means of liveli-
hood, for after serving his apprenticeship he lo-
cated in New York state, and later devoted his
time and attention to general business pursuits.
He was an honorable and upright man in all
the relations of life, an active and consistent
member of the Reformed church, and an ardent
Democrat in his political views. Enoch Walton
and his wife, Catherine (Kindt) Walton, a
daughter of Abraham and Sarah (Lawall)
Kindt, were respected and esteemed by all who
had the honor of their acquaintance.

George Walton, only child of Enoch and
Catherine Walton, pursued his studies in the
public schools in Bethlehem and Lower Nazareth,
and his course of instruction qualified him for the
position of school teacher, which he acceptably
filled for a number of years, in the meantime
learning the trade of carpenter. In 1862 he estab-
lished a carpentering and building business in
Bethlehem township, Pennsylvania, and many
of the handsome residences and large buildings
in that vicinity are evidences of his skill and abil-
ity in that particular line of trade. In 1859 he
purchased the farm upon which he now resides,
which consists of ten acres of rich and produc-
tive land, and at the present time (1904) he i?
conducting agricultural pursuits. He is a direc-
tor in the Farmers" Mutual Fire Insurance Com-
pany of Northampton county. Mr. Walton is
public-spirited, has always taken a keen inter-
est in the welfare and development of the com-
munity in which he resides. He was for three
years auditor of the township of Bethlehem,
served as assessor for four years, and in 1873
was elected justice of the peace, and has held
the office continuously ever since — his present
term of appointment will not expire until 1908.
For nine years he served in the capacity of in-
spector of prisons for Northampton county. Mr.
Walton is a member of Hulda Lodge, No. 364,
Knights of Pythias.

Mr. Walton was united in marriage, March
13. 1855, to Mary Ann Barnet, daughter of Jacob
and Susanna (Newhart) Barnet, the former
named being the son of Michael and Magdalene
Barnet, and the latter the daughter of Michael



and Margaret Newhart. The following named
children were born to Mr. and ]\Irs. Walton —
I. Henry J., born February 2, 1856, who is an
architect, and resides in Bethlehem ; he married
Amanda R. Hoch, daughter of James and Sarah
Hoch, and they are the parents of four children
— Harry G., Paul E., Hilda M., and Trueman
O. Walton. 2. Ida A., born April 7, 1859, died
November 17, 1897 '' ^^^ was the wife of J. Llewel-
len Laubach, son of John Laubach, and three
children were the issue of this union — Emma E.,
Ezra W., and Elwood J. Laubach. 3. Mary R.,
born March 19, 1861, unmarried, who is a mil-
liner. 4. Emma C, born Alay 6, 1867, died July 9,
1876. 5. Susan C, born November 20, 1871,
died July 12, 1876.

CYRUS KL'NTZ combined in his nature the
elements which rendered him a natural leader of
men and a director of public opinion, as a jour-
nalist — the editor and proprietor of the Daily
City Item, and the Ez'cning Telegram, of Allen-
town — he exercised an influence in community
affairs that will long be felt. Fie entered upon
the active duties of life unaided by influential
friends or adventitious circumstances. He was
the sole architect of his own fortune, molding hig
own character, and shaping his own destiny. His
labors were not restricted, however, to the ad-
vancement of his personal interests, for he ex-
tended his efifort to various fields in which as
an acknowledged leader he championed the high-
est interests of the municipality and of the people
at large, and with such success that his name
came to be held in high honor while he lived, and
his untimely death was regretted with a sorrow
that was at once general and sincere.

Cyrus Kuntz was born in Washington town-
ship, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania. October 7,
1853, and as the name indicates was of Germaa
lineage. The founders of the Kuntz family in
America were Jacob Kuntz and his wife, Mary
Mosser, who came from Prussia. His grand-
parents were Jacob and Rachel (Butz) Kuntz.
His parents were Moses and Leah Kuntz. the
former now deceased, but the latter still living.
The mother was a granddaughter of Balser Wert,





The Lsiuis Puhiis'hina.Co,



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



353



who came from Germany, and a daughter of
Conrad and Alary (Farber) Wert. The father
conducted a slate quarry, and was thus for a
number of years actively connected with indus-«
trial interests of the Lehigh valley. The only
brother of Cyrus Kuntz was Henry Kuntz, who
was killed in a railroad accident at Lehigh Gap
about twenty years ago. He is survived, how-
ever, by the following named sisters : Mrs. John
A. Lentz, of Allentown : and Airs. Dr. R. W.
Young and Airs. Jennie ^^'eygandt, both of Slat-
ington, Pennsylvania.

In his boyhood days Cyrus Kuntz, when not
engaged with the duties of the school-room,
worked in his father's slate quarry, but believing
that he would find another occupation more con-
genial he entered the office of the,- Slatiugion
Nczvs, where he learned the printer's trade. About
1874 he came to Allentown and entered the office
of the Herald, being first employed as a com-
positor and afterward as a reporter. He also-
occupied a position for a short period in the for-
warding office of the Lehigh ^'alley Railroad at
Packerton. and for a brief period worked at the
printer's trade in Philadelphia. It was on the
1st of January, 1878, that the Daily City Hem
of Allentown was established on a co-operative
plan by five practical printers, N. E. W'orman,
Charles H. Kramer, D. D. Holden, Oscar
Schwartz and Robert \'ogt, while Cyrus Kuntz
was engaged as editor. The enterprise, how-
ever, proved unsuccessful, and the prime movers
in the business gradually withdrew, until M^
Kuntz, Charles A. J. Hartman and Air. Schwartz
were left as owners of the paper. The last
died a few years later, and Air. Hartman's death
occurred September i, i8go, at which time Air.
Kuntz became scle proprietor. From the be-
ginning he labored untiringly for the develop-
ment and success of this journal, and continued
his effort with such ability that the Item has long
been recognized as one of the leading newspapers
of the Lehigh \'alley. One who was long asso-
ciated with him in business said : "As an editor
he w-as very conservative, tactful and diplomatic,
with a fine and honorable regard for the rights
of others, as he was jealous of his own rights. In

23



truth, he was often charged with ultra conserva-
tism, but if success is the measure of judgment,
as it always is in so delicately poised an enter-
prise as that of conducting a newspaper, then Air.
Kuntz could point to the edifice he wrought as a
monument to his wisdom and the accuracy of his
judgment. He was always cool and dispassion-
ate. The natural measure of a man's power is
the resistance of circumstances. He carefulh'
scanned the line that led from cause to effect,
and few could deceive him as to the motives
which gave rise to a cause, and the eft'ect of cir-
cumstance it produced. If they did not comport
with his strict sense of honor, he refused to give
it support, no matter how plausible they ap-
peared. His power of analysis in that direction
was keener than many men gave him credit for.
He was rarely deceived in a man, and less in his
motives."

October 11, 1879, Mr. Kuntz was united in
marriage to Aliss Laura M. Dornblaser, a daugh-
ter of Stephen and Eliza Dornblaser, who were
residents of Allentown, but the former is now (K-
ceased. The wedding ceremony was performed
by the Rev. B. N. Schmauk, and they became
the parents of five daughters: Alaude I., who is
the wife of Walter E. Graffin, the business man-
ager of the Item, by whom she has one son,
John Cyrus ; Helen L., Grace O., Edna AL, and
Ruth A., all of whom are with their mother. Air.
Kuntz's devotion to his family was almost ideal.
His interest centered in his home, and he re-
garded no personal sacrifice or labor on his part
too great if it would enhance the welfare of his
wife and daughters. He was equally lo\al tn
whom he gave his trust and confidence, and he
held friendship inviolable. In his daily life he
exemplified his faith in the Christian religion,
and he was long a consistent member of St
Alichael's Lutheran church, and served as one
of its board of trustees. He also held member-
ship relations with Lehigh Lodge, No. 83, I. O.
(). F., and was identified with the Livingston
Club and the Board of Trade. Altliough he
never sought political preferment he was a most
active representative of the Democracy of his
county, giving to it his stalwart support because



354



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



he believed it to be the duty of every American
citizen to uphold the principles which in his opin-
ion contained the best elements of good govern-
ment. His aspirations and ambitions were not
along political lines, and yet he was several times
a candidate for councilman and school director of
the Fourth Ward of Allentown. He served for
several terms as a member cf the Democratic city
committee, and yet it was through the columns of
this paper that he exercised the strongest in-
fluence in support of the principles of Democ-
racy. The writer from whom we have before
quoted said :

"He was not a Democrat by birth or inherit-
ance, but he was one because he believed in its
tenets and its principles. His first vote was cast
for the great reformer, Samuel J. Tilden, in 1876,
and ever since he has voted the straight Demo-
cratic ticket. He was a free and generous con-
tributor to his party's campaign funds, and his
paper ever gave strenuous and active support to
its candidates. He served as city committeeman
of the second district of the fourth ward, and no
man worked harder than he in gettting out the
full Democratic vote and in seeing to it that the
men nominated in that ward for the various city
offices were worthy the support of the party. For
twentv-five years he never missed a county meet-
ing until tlie last one. In all the years of his
active career, both as a journalist and a Demo-
crat, he never was a candidate for public office ;
he never asked any favors at the hands of his
party save those few he was justly entitled to as
the proprietor of the party's organ. He fought
the battles of Democracy in this county with un-
questioned skill, ability and etTectiveness, and the
columns of the Item were always open to the
advocacv of its measures and its men. Never did
there live a more unselfish Democrat or one ani-
mated by loftier and purer motives. He became
a Democrat when he reached his majority, and
when there was neither hope of gain nor reward
for him."

Death came to Mr. Kuntz suddenly July 7,
1903. He had been in ill health for almost a
rear, up to June 5, 1902. He had been untiring
in his devotion to his business, but on that day
he suffered a paralytic stroke from which he
later largely recovered. Because of his ill
health, however, he retired from the active edi-



torship of his paper, and devoted his time to its
general supervision. His was a life of intense
and well directed activity, in which he struggled
upward from a humble position to one of afflu-
ence. He drew upon the resources of mind and
body for the development of a journal that in
the course of years he made a most potent factor
in the development of the community as the
champion of its highest and best interest. As the
result of his unflagging perseverance and enter-
prise he reaped success which sh.ould always
crown honorable labor, and at the time of his
demise he had in process of erection a fine four
story business block, a part of which was to be
occupied as offices by the printing plant. It is
said that as an employer he was ever kind and in-
dulgent, overlooking many faults and forgiving
more. He had in his employ at the time of his
death men who had been in his service for a
quarter of a century, and who gave to him and
his interests their fullest measure of devotion and
fidelity. His success was of a higher and more
ethical character than that which is represented
merely by money, for he retained the esteem and
friendship of men amidst the heat of political
disputations, the clash of opposing measures and
the bitterness of factional opposition. It is said
"His family and his paper were the center and
circumference of his life. Beyond and outside
those spheres he had no desires, no ambitions, no
aspirations. They were his all in all. They filled
his life to its fullest measure, and beyond that he
cared nothing. To his family he yielded a devo-
and an affection which was as beautiful as it is
rare. The daily routine of his life for a quarter
of a century was from his heme to his office and
from his office to his home. In all these years
he had practically only one vacation. He was
often warned what the consequences would be of
his close and unceasing application to the control
and direction of his paper. W'ork, however,
was a second nature with him. The Item was
the child of his aft'ection. He had lifted it out
of the slough of poverty and despondency, from
a weak, struggling paper, which more than once
e.xcited the derision of its early contemporaries,
and made it a journal of wealth and power. AH



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



355



this took the hardest kind of work, the most in-
tense apphcation, and executive abihty of the
highest order. When he could have taken his east
and lain back on his oars, work had become to
him as a cloak not easily cast off, and he could
not, and had no desire, to break the habits which
stern necessity had forged for him in the days
of his early manhood. The calm equipoise of his
mind was never disturbed. That strength of
character which remained unbroken through all
the varying fortunes of his life, remained un-
shaken when the great day of trial came, and the
peace of death fell upon a singularly blameless
career. "His life was gentle, and the elements
so mi.xed in him that nature might stand up and
say to all the world 'This was a man.' "

DR. EDWARD JACOB FREEAL\N, who
for many years was engaged in the practice of
medicine in Northampton county, but is now su-
perintending private business interests, was born
in Easton, Pennsylvania, December i8, 1851, his
parents being Dr. George W. and Matilda
(Seip) Freeman. His paternal grandparents
were Jacob and Susan (Butz) Freeman. The
village of Freemansburg was named in honor of
the family. The family had its origin in Eng-
land, and representatives of the name emigrated
to this country in the early part of the seven-
teenth century, and they owned considerable land
in Bethlehem and Lower Saucon township.

Dr. George W. Freeman was born in 1832.
He obtained his early education in the public
schools of Freemansburg and of Bethlehem, and
afterward continued his studies in a private
school conducted by Professor \'andeveer, at
Easton, Pennsylvania, where he prepared for col-
lege. In 1849 'le entered the University of Penn-
sylvania, but previous to this time he read medi-
cine under the direction of Dr. C. C. Field of
Easton, who was his preceptor for threee years.
He was graduated from the University of Penn-
sylvania, in 1852, and then returned to Freemans-
burg, where he entered upon the practice of his
chosen profession, being thus engaged up to the
time of his death, which occurred May 16, 1898.
He was prominently connected with the North-



ampton County IMedical Society. He married
iMatilda Seip, a daughter of Edward Seip, of
Easton, and their marriage was blessed with four
children, of whom Edward Jacobs is the eldest,
Mary Ellen, the second, is the wife of G. W.
Bachman, and they have five children : Estella,
Jennie, Ralph, Laura and Roland. Walter S.,
who is a practicing physician of Philadelphia,
married Jane Unangst, and they have four chil-
dren : Eugene, Mabel, Edith and George. Emma
Adelia, the youngest child of George W. and
Matilda (Seip) I-'reeman, died in infancy.

Dr. Edward J. Freeman, who was born in
Easton, December 18, 185 1, attended the public
schools in his early youth, and afterward became
a student in the Swartz private academy at South
Bethlehem. He next entered Lehigh University
at Bethlehem, where he remained for a year and
a half, and in the winter of 1869 he matriculated
in the University of Pennsylvania as a student
in the medical department, and was graduated
with honors in the class of 1873. Having thus
become well prepared for the responsible duties
of his profession, he took up his abode in Free-
mansburg, and associated himself in practice with
his father, being thus engaged until 1877. The
business relation between them was then dis-
solved, and Dr. Freeman of this review began
practicing alone. He continued the work of
ministering to the needs of suffering humanity
until 1898, when he put aside the cares of the
medical profession in order to give his super-
vision to his investments and private business
interests.

Dr. Freeman is an active worker in the Re-
formed church and has been closely identified
with its progress and development. The only
secret order with which he is connected is Huldab
Lodge, No. 364, Knights of Pythias. He married
Miss Emily J. Knecht, a daughter of John
Knecht, of Shimersville, now deceased. Her
mother bore the maiden name of Eliza Reigel,
and bv her marriage had four children, namely:
I. Arabella, who married Dr. J. J. Detweiler, by
whom she has six children — Elizabeth, Wdliam,
Fred, Albert, John and Edith. 2. Emily, the wife
of Dr. E. J. Freeman. 3. Howard, who married



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 63 of 92)