John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 65 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 65 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


nesshire. In his early youth he enjoyed good
educational advantages, which he improved, and
after reaching his majority he followed the oc-
cupation of his father, that of a carpenter and
builder. When he was twenty-five years of age
he became acquainted with Miss Betty Taylor
and wooed and won the lady, their marriage be-
ing consummated in 1770. Two children were
born to them in their native land : John T., whose
birth occurred in 1771, and Robert, who was born
in 1772. Later in the latter year the parents
crossed the Atlantic to the new world and after a
short residence in New York city went by sloop
up the Hudson river to Catskill, and thence to
the present site of Hobart. Here another son,
Alexander Taylor, was added to the family — the
first white child born in Delaware county, New
York. The Indians about that time were be-
coming hostile and as it was unsafe to remain
longer in their frontier home the family returned
to Catskill, where four more children were added
to the family circle — Jonas, Jean, James and
David.

John 3.Iore, the great-grandfather, took an
active part in the war of the Revolution, and in
T786, after the close of hostilities, he returned
to Delaware county, where his youngest son was
born. In that couiUy he built a hotel, which he
conducted fcr a number of years. The settle-
ment of ]\Ioresville had grown up around his



362



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



home and he was appointed its postmaster and
also filled the office of magistrate, by appoint-
ment of the governor, continuing to act in that
capacity until he was succeeded by his son, John
T. More. In the year 1823 Mrs. Betty More,
and in January, 1840, John Moore departed this
life at a ripe old age, at which time he had two
hundred and twenty living descendants.

Robert More, the second son of John and
Bettv More, was born in Rothiemurchus, In-
vernesshire, Scotland, July 8, 1772, and was
brought to America by his parents during his
infancy, so that his youth and manhood were
spent in Moresville. Having fallen in love and
being desirous of making a home for his bride
before their marriage, he went into the wilder-
ness and began the development of a farm. Three
miles from his father's home he found a spring
of pure water, and, deciding to locate in that lo-
cality, he planted his first crops. Not long after-
ward he led to the marriage altar Miss Susan
Fellows, and as the years passed they became the
parents of six sons and one daughter, and when
the daughter was but ten years of age the wife
and mother died. Mr. More afterward wedded
Miss Polly Moffitt with whom he lived happily
until August, 1848, when she, too, was called to
her final rest. Mr. More was a most devoted hus-
band and father, and found his greatest happi-
ness in providing a comfortable home for his wife
and children. He added to his farm from time
to time until it comprised four hundred and thirty
acres, and later he gave portions of this to each
of his sons — David F., Alexander and Edward
A. What then remained after making these be-
quests he sold to his son Alexander in the fall
of 1 83 1. Later he purchased a farm at Pratts-
ville, to which he removed the following winter,
and there he resided up to the time of his death,
which occurred February 19, 1849.

Alexander More, the father of our subject,
and a son of Robert and Susanna (Fellows)
More, was born in Roxbury, New York, Septem-
ber 14, 1799. As a boy he displayed a quick,
active mind and when in school made the best of
his opportunities. In his youth he also assisted
his father in the support of the growing family.



Finally he married ^liss Sarah Church, whose
beauty and gracefulness attracted his attention
early in life, and at the time of their marriage he
was but nineteen, she seventeen years of age.
His father then gave him fifty acres of land, but
not being satisfied with so small a farm he re-
moved to Blenheim, Schoharie countv. New
York, where he resided for three years, at the end
of which time he sold his property there, returned
to Roxbury, and purchased his father's farm, to-
gether with the tract which his father had pre-
viously given hnm and which he had sold before
his removal to Blenheim. He became extensively
engaged in the dairy business, and made such an
excellent quality of butter that it found a very
ready sale on the New York market. He was a
man of many sterling qualities, honest in all his
dealings, and his genuine worth gained for him
the warm regard of all. He held some important
offices in his town and was looked upon as one
of the leading citizens of his community. His
wife proved to him a faithful companion and
helpmate on life's journey and carefully reared
her six children in the Christian faith. She died
of typhoid fever, April 9, 1862. Alexander More
finally sold his farm to his son David. In May,
1864, he married Miss Sarah Van Loan Peck,
who died in 1868, and later he removed to Rond-
out. New York, where his death occurred on the
i6th of September, 1872.

David Fellows More, the youngest child of
Alexander and Sarah (Church) More, was
born in Roxbury, New York, December 26,
1839, and after attending the public schools in
his early youth was sent at the age of sixteen
years to the Delaware Literary Institute, at
Franklin, New York. While there he became
converted, and the whole tenor of his life was
changed. Later he was a student in Roxbury
Academy, in which he prepared for college. In
i860 he matriculated in Rutgers College, but fail-
ing health caused him to abandon his studies be-
fore the completion of his collegiate course. The
following year he purchased his father's farm,
and in June, 1861, further completed his ar-
rangements for having a home of his own by his
marriage to Miss Helen L. Dutton, of Meredith,



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



363



Pelaware county. They began their domestic
life on the old homestead, but in 1865 he sold that
property and purchased his brother's interest in
the canal store at ]\Iore"s Corner. In that same
years his wife died and the following year, after
disposing of his stcre, he entered the United
States Christian Commission, in the Army of
the Potomac.

Mr. More was found to be an invaluable
worker in that connection and did effective work
among the colored trcops, and in April, 1865,
entered Richmond with the Union army and dis-
tributed the first food supplied there from any
Union source. Subsequently he superintended
the distribution of five hundred barrels of flour
sent by the United States Commission, and later
he was made storekeeper at City Point.

On his return to civil life Mr. More entered
the employ of William C. More & Company, at
Rondout, New York, the senior partner being his
brother. Upon the death of this brother he be-
came a partner with his brother-in-law, Mr.
Crosby, under the firm name cf Crosby, More &
Company, and filled that position for five years.
While thus connected with commercial interests
Mr. More was married, on the 8th of October,
1867, to Mrs. Sara Ten Broeck, a daughter of the
Hon. T. J. Hubbell, of Pennsylvania. In Sep-
tember, 1868, he was ordained an elder in the
Presbyterian church and fcr some time there-
after devoted his time and energies to church
work, in addition to his duties in business circles.
In 1872 he removed to Rock Island, Illinois,
where he was engaged in the manufacture of
lumber in connection with J. S. Keator, putting
ten thousand dollars into the business, but a finan-
cial panic largely demoralized all trade interests
the following year and ^Ir. r^Iore closed out his
business, every dollar of his indebtedness, how-
ever, being honorably met.

Following his connection with the lumlxr
trade, Mr. More became a Sunday-school evan-
gelist in Illinois, and did most helpful work in the
church as he traveled from town to town. Sub-
sequently he returned to New York, where he
became general secretary for the Young Men's
Christian Association of Rondout, entering upcn



the work October i, 1881. After fifteen months
of acceptable service there he was engaged by
the international committee of the association for
work in Vermont and remained in that state until
1883, when he once more resumed his labors as
general secretary in Rondout. In the fall of the
same year, however, he once more entered state
work under the direction of the international com-
mittee, visiting New Hampshire, \'ermont, Hal-
ifax, Nova Scotia, and Fort Wayne, Indiana. In
the last named place he organized a Young
Men's Christian Association among the railroad
men, and afterward, in the interests of the work
among railroad employes, he visited New York,
Pittsburg, Altoona and other points. He did
such splendid work in Fort Wayne in organizing
the association and securing for it a suitable
building that the people of the city persuaded him
to establish his home there, and he did so, be-
coming general secretary. His work in that
place continued until April i, 1886, when he ac-
cepted a call to the position of assistant state
secretary of Wisconsin, and in the fall of 1887
he received a call from the state committee of
New Jersev to become its secretary. He re-
mained in the latter field of work six years,
doubled the membership there, and increased the
property until the realty holdings represented an
investment of five hundred thousand dollars.
j\Ir. ]\Iore has always been a most active worker
in the church and Sunday school, putting forth
zealous, practical and consecrated effort for the
advancement of the Master's cause, and when
but sixteen years of age he organized a Sunday-
school of which he became the superintendent. In
everv school with which he has been connected
he has served as a teacher. He is now general
secretary of the Young ]\Ien's Christian Asso-
ciation in Bangor, and is an elder in the Presby-
terian church here. He is also identified with
the building interests of this city, having fcr nine
vears filled his present position, that of superin-
tendent of the North Bangor Slate Ouariy,
where two hundred men are employed.

To 'Sir. and Mrs. ^lore have been born three
children, of whcm they have every reason to be
proud, namely Kathryn Le Fevre, Charles



3^4



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Church and David H. The elder son is a grad-
uate of Lafayette College of Easton, Pennsyl-
vania, and pursued a post-graduate course in Cor-
nell University. At one time he was professor of
civil enginering in Washington University, and
subsequently was employed as a master engineer
by a great building trust. He is now in the em-
ploy of a firm in Chicago engaged in erecting
very high steel buildings in that metropolis and
other cities. The younger son, who is also a
graduate of Lafayette College, is now studying
medicine.

The representatives of the More family, from
the time the great-grandfather of our subject
came to America, down to the present, have ever
been valued and progressive citizens of the vari-
ous comn:unities in which they have resided, and
the life work of David More has been most help-
ful to his fellow men, especially in the advance-
ment of moral progress and improvement.

CLARK C. WISE. No name is more favor-
ably known in trade circles in Bangor and this
portion of the state than is that of Clark C. Wise.
The entire Wise family are noted for daring en-
terprise and persistency of purpose in business
life, and, indeed, few men have done more for
the progress and substantial upbuilding of Ban-
gor than the Wise Brothers. During the years in
which our subject has been a resident of this city
he has not only witnessed its expansion and de-
velopment from a small and unimportant town to
its present proud position as a productive center,
but has borne a helpful part in the work of ad-
vancement, his career being a very busy and use-
ful one. He now owns and operates a slate and
blackboard factory situated in the borough of
Bangor, and employes sixty operatives, the plant
having a capacity of ten thousand school slates
per day.

Mr. Wise is a descendant of an old family that
was founded at an early day on the banks of the
Delaware river and used that stream as a means
of transportation in connection with their daily
vocations. They were lumber dealers and rafts-
men, and descendants of to-day are still exten-
sively engaged in the lumber trade. The family



is cf German origin, and John \\'eiss, the grand-
father of our subject, was a worthy farmer and
raftsman who resided at Stratford, near the
Pennsylvania watergap. His wife was a Miss
LeBar, and their family numbered five children :
Micajah, David, Reuben, Jesse, and George. The
parents spent their entire lives in or near
Stratford.

George Wise, the father of our subject, was
born in Northampton county, Pennsylvania, and
after arriving at years of maturity wedded Miss
Susan Yetter, also a native of the same county.
Mr. Wise became an extensive lumber merchant,
and eventually settled in Portland, Northampton
county, being recognized as one of the leading
business men of the town and an influential citi-
zen. He supported every measure which he be-
lieved would prove of public good, and was
always found on the side of right, justice and
improvement. As every true American citizen
should do, he took a deep interest in the politi-
cal situation of the country, but was never an
office-seeker. His wife died in 1889, and he
passed away in 1893. They were the parents of
five sons and three daughters : Joseph H., Alice,
Rosanna, Lewis R., Hiram, Hannah, Frank S.
and Clark C.

In was in Portland, Pennsylvania, on the
28th of February, 1865, that Clark C. Wise was
born, and in the public school there he acquired
his education. In 1882 his brothers, Joseph, Reu-
ber and Hiram, established a lumber business in
Bangor, and soon afterward admitted our sub-
ject to a partnership, the business being carried
on under the firm name of Wise Brothers for
four years, when Clark C. took entire charge of
the concern and his brothers withdrew. He then
carried on the business alone until 1891, when
his brother, F. S. Wise, purchased an interest,
and the firm became C. C. and F. S. Wise, thus
continuing until 1900, when their entire plant
was destroyed by fire, causing a loss of seven-
teen thousand dollars. This would have utterly
discouraged many a man of less resolute spirit
than Clark C. Wise, but he immediately sought a
new field of labor, and in T901 established the
blackboard and slate factory which he is now



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



365



conducting. From the beginning the new enter-
prise has proved a profitable one, and is now
more than meeting his most sanguine expecta-
tions. The plant is equipped with the latest im-
proved machinery for the successful conduct of
the business, and there is now a large annual out-
put for which he finds a ready sale. In the
spring of 1904 Mr. Wise purchased the Bangor
Central Quarry, located in the center of the fa-
mous Bangor veins. This enables him to
quarry his own slate for manufacturing purposes,
and put the finished product on the market from
first hands. 2\Ir. Wise is one of the only two
independent slate operators in the Bangor valley.
On the 1 2th of December, 1884, Mr. Wise
was united in marriage to j\liss Mary C. Yetter,
a daughter of Joseph T. and Caroline Yetter, of
Stone Church. Both j\Ir. and Mrs. Wise have a
wide acquaintance in this part of the state, and
. enjoy the hospitality of the best homes of Ban-
gor. As a citizen he is public spirited and pro-
gressive, and has been a cooperant factor in many
measures for the general good. He has served
in several positions of public trust, was elected
chief burgess of Bangor, was for three years town
councilman, and for a similar period was a mem-
ber of the school board. His social relations
connect him with Bangor Lodge, Xo. 565, F.
and A. M. ; Bangor Chapter, Xo. 2j. R. A. M.:
Hugh de Payens Commandery, Xo. 19, K. T. ;
and Rajah Temple (of Reading), A. A. O. X.
M. S. As a business man he is well informed,
alert and enterprising, and in social circles he is
popular.

FRAXK S. WISE. From his boyhood days
down to the present, Frank S. Wise has been con-
nected with the lumber industry and has pros-
pered in his undertakings until he now stands
as one of the leading lumber merchants of Xorth-
ampton county. He comes of a family of German
origin, and in the fatherland the patronymic was
originally spelled Weiss, but after the family
was founded in America a change was made to
the present anglicized form of Wise. The first
representative of the family in Xorthampton
count}- was John Weiss, \\ho removed from Xew



York city at a very early date in the development
of the Lehigh valley. He married a ^iliss Le-
Bar, a lady of French descent, and unto them
were born several children, including: Charles,
Reuben, Jesse, David, 3,Iacajah, and George H.
The father owned a small farm, and in connection
with its cultivation he engaged in rafting on the
Delaware river, his home being situated near
Slateford, between Portland and the watergap.
There he lived and labored for many years, a
much respected citizen of the community, and
eventually died upon the old homestead which
he had established.

One of his sons, George H. Weiss, the father
of our subject, was born in Portland, where he
was reared and educated, and where he became
an extensive lumber merchant, carrying on a
business of much importance to the city. He
built a large saw mill at Portland, operating it
throughout his business career, and his enter-
prise and capable management made him a pros-
perous resident of Portland. He was also largely
engaged in rafting on the Delaware river, for
much of his timber came from the north. Later
in life he also devoted his energies to the lime
trade, and Mr. Keller, his successor in the busi-
ness, is now operating extensively in that line.
He was elected to the office of chief burgess of
his native borough, and conducted his official
duties as he did his private affairs, with prompt-
ness, dispatch and strict honesty. As a com-
panion and helpmate on life's journey he had
chosen Aliss Susan Yetter, and during their
happy married life eleven children were added
to the family, eight of whom are yet living,
namely: Joseph, Reuben, Hiram, Frank S., Clark
C, Rose A., Alice and Hannah. The five sons
are leading business men in the slate belt, and
are either engaged in the slate industry or in the
lumber business.

Frank S. Wise was born in Portland, Penn-
sylvania, in 1862, and after enjoying the school
privileges afforded by his native borough he en-
tered his father's sawmill, and thus from an
early age has been identified with the lumber
business, gaining in his youth a knowledge which
has been of practical value to him in the conduct



366



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



of important and mammoth enterprises in later
years. He was connected with his father's busi-
ness in Portland until 1884, when he removed
to Bangor and soon afterward, in connection
with his brothers, C. C. Wise and Joseph, went
to Clearfield county, Pennsylvania, where he pur-
chased a tract of timber land of five thousand
acres on which was growing both hard and soft
timber. Later a large fire which there occurred
in the forest caused them a loss of forty thou-
sand dollars. In 188 1 Reuben, Joseph and Hi-
ram Wise, under the firm name of Wise Brothers,
opened a lumber yard in Bangor, which they
conducted successfully until 1886, when Clark C.
Wise became the owner of the enterprise and
built a planing mill. This was operated by him
until 1891, when Frank S. Wise was admitted to
a partnership, and was thus associated with his
brother in business until 1901, when he pur-
chased his brother's interest. On the 24th of
July of the previous year, tne mill was destroyed
by fire, causing a loss of seventeen thousand
dollars. After that fire the present mill was
built and equipped with the latest improved ma-
chinery. The plant is a splendid one, and Mr.
Wise stands to-day as one of the leaders in the
lumber industry in Northampton county. He
deals in lumber of all kinds, and also carries all
kinds of building materials. He likewise manu-
factures doors, sash and blinds, and is now at the
head of a mammoth business, controlling a large
capital and employing many workmen. Through
this avenue he keeps much money in circulation
in the county, and thus contributes directly to
the general prosperity. He also has extensive
lumber interests in Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
the business there being conducted under the
firm style of ¥. S. Wise & Company.

From his boyhood days I\Ir. ^Vise has been
connected with the lumber trade, and his per-
sistency of purpose has undoubtedly been one
feature of his success. Fle has become thor-
oughly familiar with the lumber trade, both in
principle and detail, and, keeping in toueh with
the advancement of the times in all business lines,
he has expanded his own enterprise and made
of it one of the leading industrial concerns of this



part of the state. It is true that the days have not
all been equally bright; there have been times
when the storm clouds have gathered, and when
it required a steady hand and calm judgment to
direct the course of the work so that disaster
would not bring utter ruin. Twice suft'ering
heavy losses through fire, he did not allow this
to discourage him, but serving rather as an im-
petus for renewed effort, he set to work to re-
trieve his lost possessions, and has been accorded
the patronage which progressive business meth-
ods, combined with straightforward dealings,
always merit.

In 1 88 1 was celebrated the marriage of Frank
S. Wise and ]\Iiss Clara A. Snyder, a daughter
of Jacob A. and Rebecca Snyder. They have
become the parents of eleven children : George
H., Samuel J., Sadie M., Fred F., Margaret E.,
Mildred, Grace, Helen, Frank S., Ronald and
Clare. Of these, Grace and Helen have now
passed away. Mrs. Wise is a native daughter
of Bangor, and is a representative of one of the
old families of this section of the state.

JOSEPH A. LONG, who has been engaged
in the hardware business in East Bangor for ten
years traces his ancestry back to Germany. The
founder of the family in America was Peter
Long, who was born in the fatherland, and when
a young man crossed the Atlantic to the new
world, believing that he would have better busi-
ness opportunities in this country, having heard
very favorable reports concerning the new repub-
lic, which only a few years before had gained
independence from Great Britain. It was about
1788 that Peter Long settled in what was then
called Mount Bethel. Northampton county, Penn-
sylvania. He purchased a tract of land from
the government, consisting of over one hundred
acres. He married a jNIiss Albert, and unto them
were born five children, as follows: John, Eliza-
beth, Joseph, Abraham and Jacob. The last two
were twins.

Of this number Abraham Long was the fa-
ther of our subject. He was born in Mount
Bethel in 1808, and was there reared, educated
and spent his entire life. By trade he was a



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



367



tailor, and in connection with that pursuit he fol-
lowed the occupation of farming, owning a small
but well improved tract of land. His wife, who
bore the maiden name of Catherine Groner, was
also a native of Alount Bethel, and unto their
marriage were born five children, but Joseph, of
this review, is the only one now living.

Joseph A. Long first opened his eyes to the
light of day on the old homestead in Mount
Bethel, on the 7th of February, 1843. Under the
parental roof he spent his boyhood days, and in
the public schools of the neighborhood he ac-
quired his education, after which he began pre-
paration for the responsible duties of a business
career by learning the carpenter's trade, which
he followed for fifteen years. Owning a small
farm, he subdivided these into building lots and
placed them upon the market, and already a num-
ber of them have been sold to good advantage.
There is an electric car line running through the
tract, which enhances the value of the property,
furnishing residents of the localit}- with close
connection with the city. There has also been
built upon the land the plant of the East Bangor
Manufacturing Company. ^Nlr. Long was the
prime mover in the organization of this com-
pany, of which his son, David F., is now manager.
The business was organized in 1892, and is a



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 65 of 92)