John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 66 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 66 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


valued addition to industrial circles of the bor-
ough. A fact worthy of note is that there stands
upon Air. Long's land a barn, still in a good
state of preservation, which is roofed with the
first slate quarried in East Bangor, this being
taken out by Wiedman, Dietrick & Company, in
1855. In 1893 Mr. Long opened his hardware
store, which is well equipped with a large and
carefully selected stock of both shelf and heavy
hardware. That he has conducted the store thus
long is an indication that the venture is proving
a remunerative one.

Mr. Long was married in 1865 to Miss Eliza
Shook, a daughter of George and Elizabeth
Shook. She was born in Mount Bethel in 1843,
and bv her marriage has become the mother of
five children: David P., ^Martin L., Emma E.,
Edwin O. and George A. The parents were
members of the Lutheran church, which Mr.



Long has served as elder for a number of years.
He is not only a leading merchant of East Ban-
gor, but has taken quite an active part in public
affairs, and is now and has been for several years
a inember of the town council. He is also a mem-
ber of the school board, and he gives a loyal and
helpful support to every measure which he be-
lieves will prove of benefit to the town or county
along material, social, intellectual or moral lines.

JOHN K. DITCHETT, who has served as
postmaster of East Bangor since 1897, is a na-
tive of Devonshire, England, his birth having
there occurred in 1842.

He was reared and educated in his native
county, and there became connected with the
slate-working industry. Hearing favorable re-
ports of business conditions in America, of high
prices paid and advancement quickly secured in
recognition of ability, he resolved to come to the
Laiited States, and, bidding adieu to friends and
native land, he sailed for the new world, comine
direct to East Bangor, Pennsylvania, where he
has since made 1 is home. Here he entered the
employ of the firm of Bray & Short, for whom
he worked four years. He then removed to Ban-
gor, where he resided for seven years, and dur-
ing that period was connected with the New Ban-
gor Quarry. In 1878 he formed a partnership
with several others and leased the slate lands
owned by Major Ames and Dr. Gruver, for five
years. The partners invested all their capital
and themselves labored in the quarry in order to
place the business upon a paying basis. The
enterprise became profitable, and yet the com-
pany lacked means to carry on the work to the
best advantage. During the first five years one of
the original partners died, and three of them sold
out to the other members of the firm. Later,
other new members were added, but little finan-
cial strength was gained. About this time
the company leased another property at
Pen Argyl, and on application of one of the
company the lease was extended on the East
Bangor proijerty to ten years. The company did
business under the name of the Star Slate Quarry
Companv, and after strenuous effort the enter-



?68



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



prise became a paying one, the Star slate find-
ing a ready sale on the market. As the years
passed the business expanded and brought a good
financial return to the stockholders. Mr. Ditchett
continued in the company until 1896, when he
was succeeded by his son John, who eventually
sold his interest to the American Company.

Mr. Ditchett married, in Devonshire, Eng-
land, in March, 1868, ^laria Doidge, and to them
was born a daughter, Annie. In 1872 Mr. Dit-
chett was united in marriage to Miss Emily Tem-
lett, a daughter of John and Jane Temlett, and a
native of England, born in 1848. She came to
the United States in 1872, and immediately after-
ward was wedded to Mr. Ditchett, to whom she
had plighted her troth in the mother country,
and who was anxiously awaiting her on this side
of the water. Unto this worthy couple have
been born four children: i. John, married Bertha,
daughter of Ephraim Rutt, and their children are
Paul and Waldo. 2. Mary A., married Walter
Scott Weiss, of South Easton, w'ho is now de-
ceased. 3. Laura J. 4. Lillian. The two last
named are deceased. The parents are members
of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which J\Ir.
Ditchett has held the office of class leader, ex-
horter, trustee, steward and Sunday-school
teacher, putting forth every efl^ort in his power
for the advancement of the church and the ex-
tension of its influence. Throughout his resi-
dence in Pennsylvania, he has so lived as to win
respect and confidence, his career being char-
acterized by unfaltering industry and integrity.

MILTON TILGHMAN JACOBS OCRS,
who was born in Allentown in 1855, attended the
public schools and afterward pursued a course in
a business college. He later associated himself in
business with his father, a well known contrac-
tor of the city and mastered the builder's trade
in every detail. In 1885 he became his father's
partner under the firm style of T. Ochs & Son,
and business was thus carried on until 1897, when
the father retired, the firm being succeeded by
IM. T. J. Ochs, who stands to-day at the head of
the building industry in Allentown. ]\Iany of the
best structures of the city stand as monuments to



his enterprise, skill and business integrity, and af
this writing (1904) he is constructing an eight-
story building for the Allentown National Bank
— the highest structure in the city. He is notably
prompt and energetic in the execution of a con-
tract, and his comprehensive knowledge concern-
ing the builder's art, supplemented by his fidelity
to every trust reposed in him, has gained him the
success which has made him one of the substan-
tial residents cf his native city.

Like his father, ]\Ir. Ochs is a member of the
Reformed church and gives his political alle-
giance to the Democracy. He is a representative
of the social interests cf Allentown, being a mem-
ber of the Livingston Club, but belongs to no
secret organizations.

Mr. Ochs was married to Miss Louise Oppen-
lander, of Bucks county, Pennsylvania, and they
had a family of fifteen children. There has been
but one death among the number, and that was
occasioned by an accident. The living children
are : Katie Susan, Harry Tilghman, Emma Flor-
ence, Mattie JNIatilda, Erie Jacob, Robert Eman-
uel, Alfred, Millie, Helen, Susie, Esther, Nan,
Frances and Richard.

DR. H. H. WILFORD, of Bangor, Penn-
sylvania, who has made for himself an honor-
able place in the ranks of his profession, traces
his descent from ancestors of English l.iirtli. His
great-grandfather, George Wilford, a merchant,
was much respected and widely patronized. His
family consisted of several sons, all of whom be-
came worthy subjects.

George Wilford (2), son of George (i),
mentioned above, was born in Leicestershire,
and was a tailor by trade, being a master work-
man. He married Alary Booth, and they were
the parents of six children, all of whom emigrated
to the United States. Among them were the fol-
lowing sons : John B., a mechanical engineer,
who invented an apparatus for mining purposes,
and is now deceased; George S., mentioned at
length hereinafter ; William T.. who is a pattern-
maker, and a resident of Johnstown, Pennsyl-
vania: and r.enjamin. who is an electrician, re-
siding in Denver, Colorado.



(



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



369



George S. Wilford (3 ), son of George (2) and
Mary (Booth) Wilford, on coming, in earl}- life
to the I./'nited States, made his home in Tamaqua,
Pennsylvania. He was formerly a merchant, but
is now manager for the Chestnut Ridge Lumber
Manufacturing Company. He married Alary,
daughter of Jacob Stichter, of Tamaqua, and
the following children were born to them : Dr.
H. H., mentioned at length hereinafter ; George
A., who was born in 1873; Anna M., who was
born in 1877, and is a professional nurse: and
Guy, who is deceased. Mr. Wilford, the father,
is related through his mother to the famous in-
ventor, George Stephenson, in memory of whom
he was named.

H. H. Wilford (4), son of Ceorge S. (3)
and Mary (Stichter) Wilford, was born in 1869,
at Tamaqua, as were his brothers and sisters.
He received his early education in the common
schools of his birthplace, afterward attending the
high school, from which he graduated at the age
of fifteen with high honors. He then became
bookkeeper and cashier for a firm in his native
town, a position which served merely as a step-
ping stone to advancement in the career which he
mapped out for himself. In 1890 he entered the
University of Michigan, in which he studied for
two years. He subsequently became a student in
the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia,
from which he received in 1893 the degree of
Doctor of Medicine. The same year he removed
to Bangor, where he began the practice of his
profession, and where he has ever since resided,
his reputation as a skilled and conscientious
physician constantly increasing, and placing him
in possession of a large and growing practice.
He is examiner for the Metropolitan Insurance
Company of New York, the Philadelphia Alutual
Insurance Company, and the Security Life An-
nuity Insurance Company of Philadelphia. He
also holds the position of surgeon for the Amer-
ican Slate Company, and the Columbia Bangor
Company of Bangor. He is a member of the
Lehigh Valley Homoeopathic Medical Society,
and the Pennsylvania State Homoeopathic Med-
ical Society of Hahnemann. He affiliates with

24



the I. O. O. F., and also with the Knights of
Pythias. He is identified with the Sons of V'et-
erans and holds the position of surgeon to the
Second Regiment. He and his wife are mem-
bers of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Dr. Wilford married, April 19, 1893, Anna
B., daughter of John and Mary Fink of Tamaqua.
Dr. and Mrs. Wilford are the parents of two chil-
dren : Paul and John. ^

CHARLES K. STIER, an enterprising busi-
ness man and public-spirited citizen of Bangor,
Pennsylvania, is descended from German ances-
tors, all of whom, in the successive generations,
have rendered good service to their adopted coun-
try-

His great-grandfather was a member of the
crew of the first privateer engaged in the cause
of independence during the Revolutionarv war.
He settled in the neighborhood of Philadelphia,
and was the father of a numerous family, all of
whom became, in the course of time, good and
useful citizens. He was of a noble familv, whicn
bore a coat-of-arms. One of his sons, named
Jacob, was twice married. By his first wife he
was the father of a son, also named Jacob, who
was born in Philadelphia, and all his life fol-
lowed the potter's trade. That he was a mechanic
of a high class is fully proved by specimens of
his handiwork which are in e.xistence to-day.
He was of an extremely philanthropic disposi-
tion, recognizing in his works of benevolence no
distinction of race or creed. Politically he was
an ardent Demcrat. He was a soldier in the war
of 1812. He married Diana Tomer, who was of
French extraction, and whose ancestors during"
the struggle for independence had won distinc-
tion as adherents of the crown. Mr. and Mrs.
Stier were the parents of the following' children :
Michael G, WilHam G., Philip F.. Charles K.,
mentioned at length hereinafter: Mary E., Ma-
tilda, and .Anna. After his marriage Mr. Stier
moved to New Jersey, and later to Bucks count}-.
Pennsylvania. He died at the age of seventy-
four.

Charles K. Stier, son of Jacob and Diana



370



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



(Tomer) Stier, was born December 25, 1839, at
Springtown, New Jersey. He received his pri-
mary education at home, afterward attending
school at Mount Bethel. In 1846 the family
moved to Pennsylvania and settled at Johnson-
ville, where, after leaving school, Charles K.
learned the potter's trade under the guidance of
his father, becoming an expert at the wheel. In
1865, just before the close of the Civil war, he
enlisted in Company K, Twenty-eighth Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, in which he
served to the close of the war, at which time he
was honorably discharged. Brief as was his
period of military service it included at least one
memorable event, his regiment having formed
part of Sherman's army when that commander
received the surrender of Johnston,

On his return to civil life Mr. Stier became
a clerk in Easton, Pennsylvania, a position which
he held for some years, and then moved to Mount
Bethel. In 1875 he removed to Bangor, where
he was for a short time engaged in the boot and
shoe business, but not realizing his expectations
retired, and again took a position as clerk. He
then turned his attention to various enterprises,
and finally became superintendent for the Bangor
Water Company, remaining in this position fif-
teen years. He is now collector for the same
company. Mr. Stier has played an active part
in the political arena, and has frequently been
called upon by his townsmen to serve them in
positions of trust. He held the office of assessor
for three years, and for sixteen years served as
town clerk for the borough of Bangor. His long
tenure of office is the best proof of his efficiency
and trustworthiness. In 1879 he received his
commission as notary public, an office which he
has since continued to hold, being now one of
the oldest notaries public in the state of Pennsyl-
vania. He is a charter member of the Grand
Army of Republic, affiliating with Albert Jones
Post, No. 383. His church membership is with
the United Evangelical denomination.

Mr. Stier married in 1874, Helen, daughter
of Jacob and Matilda Holland, and they are the
parents of one daughter : Anna, who was born
in 1877, ami was married. June 2, 1903, to Wil-



liam H. Lindeman, a well-known educator, who
was for fourteen years principal of the Bangor
high school.

FRANK REIMER, an enterprising and
worthy citizen of East Bangor, Pennsylvania, is
descended from ancestors who were old settlers
in Upper Mount Bethel. His grandfather, Peter
Reimer, served as a soldier in the war of 1812,
aiid subsequently became a pensioner. He was
a farmer, owning about one hundred acres of
land. He married Susan Furtchey, and they
were the parents of the following children, all
of whom were born at Johnsonsburg : William,
mentioned at length hereinafter ; Christian, Jacob,
Catherine, Sarah, Margaret, and Mary.

William Reimer, son of Peter and Susan
(Furtchey) Reimer, was born in 1823, and was
a farmer all his life, being the possessor of
about eighty acres of well tilled land. He mar-
ried Catherine Dutts, a native of Plainfield town-
ship, and their children were : Amanda ; Peter ;
Jacob, who is deceased ; Matilda ; John ; Jose-
phine ; Frank, mentioned at length hereinafter ;
and Harvey. ]\Irs. Reimer, the mother of these
children, died in 1892, and the death of her hus-
band occurred in 1895, when he had reached the
age of seventy-two years. Both Mr. and Mrs.
Reimer were regarded with well-deserved re-
spect and affection by all who know them.

Frank Reimer, son of William and Catherine
(Dutts) Reimer, was born January 23, i860,
in Johnsonsburg, where he received his educa-
tion. In early life he assisted his father on the
homestead, and subsequently obtained employ-
ment as a teamster, in which capacity he was en-
gaged in the transportation of slate. After work-
ing for a time in the slate quarry, he purchased in
1886 the East Bangor House, which he remodeled
and refurnished, making of it in all respects a
first class hotel. It has a capacity for accommo-
dating twenty-five guests, and all its appoint-
ments are such as to afford the greatest possible
comfort and convenience. As the proprietor of
this hotel Mr. Reimer has achieved a signal suc-
cess by reason of a marked degree of executive
ability, genial manners and an obliging disposi-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



371



tion. The reputation which he has estabhshed
is of long standing, and is beyond dispute. The
demands incident to his position leave him little
time for social intercourse, and he holds member-
ship in no fraternal societies with the exception
of the Improved Order of Red Men, with which
he affiliates, and in which he is regarded with
deserved esteem.

Mr. Reimer married, in 1889, JMiss Maggie
Hertunzog, and they arc the parents of one son,
Robert, who was born in 1890, and is now (1904)
receiving his education in the East Bangor school.

DR. BENJAMIN F. DILLIARD, a leading
physician of East Bangor, Pennsylvania, is de-
scended from German ancestors who were among
the early settlers of Aloore township, Northamp-
ton county. His great-grandfather emigrated to
the United States, and in due course of time
made his home in this township, where his son
Conrad acquired a large tract of land which is
now divided into three farms. The family of
Conrad Dilliard consisted of ten children, who
are now all deceased with the exception of one
daughter who is a resident of Ohio.

Joshua Dilliard, son of Conrad Dilliard, was
born in 1820, near Petersville, in ]\Ioore town-
ship. His occupation was that of a tailor, and he
was acknowledged to be a superior workman.
He married Hester, daughter of Benjamin and
Mary Deiter, and their children were : Alavesta,
Diana, Susanna, Mary A., Rebecca, Richard C,
John A. and Benjamin F., mentioned at length
hereinafter. With the exception of the three
last named, all these children are now deceased.
Mr. Dilliard, the father of the family, died in
February. 1867, and his wife survived him
exactly nine years, her death occurring in Feb-
ruary, 1876.

Benjamin F. Dilliard, son of Joshua and
Hester (Deiter) Dilliard, was born in 1855, in
Butztown, Bethlehem township, where he re-
ceived his early education in the common schools.
After a preparatory course of study he entered
the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Balti-
more, from which he graduated in 1881 with



the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He then
moved to Chapman's Quarry, where he entered
upon the practice of his profession, and in 1882
became a resident of East Bangor, where he has
since remained. Events speedily demonstrated
his peculiar fitness for his chosen calling, each
succeeding year having enlarged the circle of his
patrons and added to his reputation as a scientific,
skillful, and thoroughly highminded physician.
He is examiner for the following life insurance
companies: Northwestern, Penn Mutual, New
York, New York Mutual, Prudential, and Aetna.
Notwithstanding the absorbing nature of his
professional duties and his strict devotion to
them, Dr. Dilliard is never unmindful of his
obligations as a citizen, and is ever ready to re-
spond to the utmost of his power to the appeals
of his townsmen. He was the first chief burgess,
and served for ten years as a member of the
schoolboard. He received from President Cleve-
land the appointment of postmaster, and held the
office during the first administration of that
chief magistrate. He is president of the Bangor
and Portland Traction Company, and was one
of the promoters of this road. He is a director
in the First National Bank of Bangor, and a
director in the Bangor Light and Power Com-
pany. He is a member of the Northampton
County Medical Society, and the State Medical
Society. He affiliates with Bangor Lodge, No.
565, A. F. and A. M., and also with Bangor
Chapter, R. A. I\I. He is a member of the
Knights of the Golden Eagle, the Independent
Order of Red Men, and the Modern Woodmen.
Dr. Dilliard married, in June, 1880, Hannah
E., daughter of Gideon and Christine Bartholo-
mew, and they have one son, Herbert C. He
was born in 1881, and graduated from the high
school of East Bangor, the State Normal School
of Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, and the Lehigh
University. In the last named institution he
served for one year as instructor in civil en-
gineering. He was civil engineer for East Ban-
gor when that borough put in its waterworks,
and superintended the construction of the East
Bangor and Bangor Street Railway ; also that



il-



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



of the Bangor, Portland and Delaware River
Street Railway, and was the- contractor and
builder of the waterworks for the city of Middle-
town, New York. Mr. Dilliard's career, rich as
it has hitherto been in results, is regarded by all
who known him as giving promise of still greater
achievements in the future.

PHILIP LA BARRE, the founder of the
slate industry in Bangor, Pennsylvania, was de-
scended from Huguenot ancestors who were
forced by religious persecution to fly from their
native land. They found a refuge in the new
world, the first member of the family concerning
whom we have an authentic record being Daniel
La Barre, who was a farmer in Upper Mount
Bethel. He married Elizabeth Hess, and they
were the parents of the following children, all
of whom became good and loyal citizens : Con-
rad, mentioned at length hereinafter ; Henry,
William, Sarah, Susan, Rebecca, and Charles.

Conrad La Barre, son of Daniel and Eliza-
beth (Hess) La Barre, was born in Upper Mount
jiethel township. He was a shoemaker by trade,
and a superior workman. He married Hannah
Stone, of L'pper Mount Bethel, and their family
consisted of twelve children, ten of whom grew
to maturity, namely : Peggy A., Reuben, Philip,
mentioned at length hereinafter ; Mar)-, Daniel,
Jeremiah, Josiah, John C, Jesse, and Abraham.
Of this number Mary, Daniel, Josiah, and John
C. are living. Mr. La Barre, the father of this
large family, lived to an advanced age and died
respected by all who knew him.

Philip La Barre, son of Conrad and Hannah
(Stone) La Barre, was born in 1832, on the
old homestead, in Copper Mount Bethel. In
1850 he moved to L'ttsville, afterwards named
New Village, now known as Bangor, and pur-
chased the farm upon which is situated the
old Bangor quarry." He was also the owner
of another farm in Upper Mount Bethel. In
addition to his agricultural labors, which he
prosecuted with energy and success, he plied in
winter the trade of a cooper, and in summer en-
gaged in the manufacture of bricks. He was a



man of versatile talents, and never lost an oppor-
tunity of enlarging his sphere of action. In 1866
he opened the Old Bangor Quarry, situated in
what was then known as New Village Postoflice.
known now as the borough of Bangor, the
borough having taken its name from this quarry.
After operating the quarry for a short time, he
disposed of it on advantageous terms to Dr.
Scholl and Messrs. Samuel Straub and R. ^I.
Jones. He subsequently built the American
Hotel, of which he \vas for several years the pro-
prietor. In sinking a well on this property he
discovered, by a singular coincidence, another
vein of slate, which he developed into the "Wash-
ington quarry." While in all respects a stirring
business man, Mr. La Barre never allow'ed him-
self to become unmindful of his obligations as a
citizen. He was warmly interested in every-
thing relating to the public welfare, and con-
sented to serve in several borough offices, among
them those of tax collector, member of council,
street supervisor, and others. He sought to
advance the real estate interests of the city, and
was the builder and owner of nearly all the houses,
situated in Washington street. He was a mem-
ber of the Lutheran church, to the support of
which he contributed largely. He was, more-
over, a liberal donor to all the churches of Ban-
gor, his benevolence not being limited bv de-
nominational boundaries.

!Mr. La Barre married, in 1862, Sophia
Gulick, and the following children were born to
them: i. Angelina; 2. Lizzie J.; 3. Mary C. ;
4. James U. ; 5. Luther E. ; 6. Carrie B. ; 7. Rose
L. : 8. William F. : 9. Gertrude M. ; 10. Charles
E. ; II. Clark P. Mrs. La Barre, the mother of
these children, was a daughter of John and Susan
Gulick, natives of Monroe county, Pennsylvania.
They moved to Washington township, Northamp-
ton county, where Mr. Gulick engaged in farm-
ing. About 1843 he removed to Bangor, and
spent the autumn of his life in retirement. Both
he and his wife were members of the Presbyter-
ian church. He was known as the largest con-
tributor towards the building of the Presbyterian
church of Bangor, and was also a verv liberal con-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



373



tributor to the support of that church aud its
ministry up to the time of his death. The fam-
ily of I\lr. and Mrs. Guhck consisted of the fol-
lowing children : James, who was the originator
and owner of the machine shop, the bus-
iness now being conducted in IJangor and



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 66 of 92)