John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 67 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 67 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


known as the S. Florey Manufacturing
Company. James died during the sum-
mer of 1904, buried in Elmyra ; Sophia, men-
tioned above as the wife of Philip La Barre ;
Phebe, who became the wife of the Rev. Philip
Houck ; Lizzie, wife of S. E. Delp, who was
postmaster of Bangor for many years ; Alartha.
wife of C. W. Miller. In 1882 Mr. La Barre
and his children sustained an irreparable loss in
the death of the wife and mother, whose many
estimable qualities had greatly endeared her to
a large circle of friends. She was a consistent
member of the Presbyterian church up to the
time of her death.

The death of Mr. La Barre, wdiich occurred
in 1888, at the comparatively early age of fifty-
six, was mourned by the whole community, his
labors in the development of the slate industry
having caused him to be regarded as a public
benefactor. He was loved and respected by all
as a large-hearted philanthropist whose charity
included all righteous and worthy enterprises, and
as a nian who was ever a true and helpful friend
to all who were brought within the circle of his
influence.

Angelina mentioned above, eldest daughter
of Mr. and Mrs. La Barre. was born and edu-
cated in Bangor. In 1889 she became the wife
■of J. \\'. Heller, and four children have been born
to them. Of these, two are now living, namely :
Harley, and Blanche. Mrs. Heller is possessed
■of remarkable executive ability, and served for
several years as assistant postmaster to S. E.
Delp. She also served as organist in both
Trinity Lutheran and Evangelical churches for
several years, and was also a teacher in the pub-
lic schools.

J. W. Heller, mentioned above, belongs to a
family which has been long resident in Pennsyl-
vania. His great-grandfather, Simon Heller,



was the landlord of an inn, the word "hotel" not
having been at that time adopted in its present
sense by English-speaking people. He married
Sabina Apple, and both he and his wife lived
and died highly esteemed by all who knew them.
Their son John was for some years engage-d in
his father's business, in which he was extremely
successful. He married Barbara — and they were
the parents of seven children, two of whom are
now living. One of their sons. Colonel J. P. R.
Heller, was born in Plainfield township, and was
for thirty-five years a popular hotel keeper. He
also owned and operated a farm of one hundred
acres, being successful in both branches of in-
dustry. He married Sarah A. Nice, a native of
Bucks county, Pennsylvania, and their children
were: Sarah J.; Mary A.; John W. ; Alberta;
and M. Rudy, of Philadelphia.

John W., son of J. P. R. and Sarah A. (Nice)
Heller, was born in 1861, in Wind Gap, North-
ampton county, and in 1 88 1 moved to Bangor,
where he adopted the calling which might be
said to be hereditary in his family taking charge
of the American Hotel. This property was
owned, as stated above, by Air. La Barre, whose
son-in-law Mr. Heller subsequently became.'
That Mr. Heller's success as a hotelkeeper was
not inferior to that of his ancestors, his record
of nine years conclusively proves. Since 1892
he has been engaged in the livery business, which
he has conducted in such a manner as to merit
the prosperity which has attended him. Mr.
Heller is respected by all who know him as a
straighforward and upright man and a good citi-
zen. He is a consistent member of the Reformed
church at Plainfield, Pennsylvania.

S. E. RAESLY, of Bangor, Pennsylvania,
known and respected alike as a merchant and a
citizen, traces his descent from German ancestry.
The family of Rosli (as the name was then
spelled), was founded in America by three broth-
ers who in 1738 left their native land and set-
tled in the province of Penns\lvania. making
their home in Bucks county. One of the three
wandered off and was lost to the sight and



374



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



knowledge of his kinsmen, and another remained
unmarried, so that the present family of Raesly
is descended exclusively from the third brother.
One of his sons, who was named Jacob, moved
to Upper Mount Bethel township, Northampton
county, where he purchased one hundred acres
of land which became the homestead of the fam-
ily. He married Miss Margaret Brodt, and they
were the parents of the following children :
Margaret, who became the wife of Christian
Hess ; another daughter, who married George
Beck ; Samuel, mentioned at length hereinafter ;
and Jacob. Both these sons were farmers and
worthy citizens.

Samuel Raesly, son of Jacob and Margaret
(Brodt) Raesly, was born in Lower Saucon,
township, removing to the homestead when a
child, and of which, in due course of time, he be-
came the owner, succeeding tq its possession en
the death of his father. He was a practical farmer
and a very successful one, attaining by reason
of industry, skill and upright dealing, to a gratify-
ing degree of financial prosperity. He married
Susan Ott, and there were born to them three
sons : William ; Levi, mentioned at length here-
inafter ; and Edwin.

Levi Raesly, son of Samuel and Susan (Ott)
Raesly, was born in 1830, on the homestead in
Upper Mount Bethel. He was a man of marked
intelligence and more than ordinary education
(judged by the standards of his time and environ-
ment), and was for several years engaged in
teaching. The greater part of his life, however,
was devoted to agricultural pursuits, which he
followed according to the same principles which
had guided his father, and in doing so was at-
tended by the same successful results. He was
a man much respected, and was honored by his
neighbors with election to several township of-
fices. He married Susan Eilenberger, who be-
came the mother of three children : S. E., men-
tioned at length hereinafter ; Pauline, who is de-
ceased ; and Emma. Mr. Raesly died in 1867,
at the early age of thirty-seven, and his wife
still resides in Mount Bethel township, regarded



with sincere respect and affection by all who
know her.

S. E. Raesly, son of Levi and Susan (Eilen-
berger) Raesly, was born in 1856, on the old
Raesly homestead, which was also the birth-
place of his two sisters. He was educated in the
common schools of his native township, and
early in life became engaged in mercantile pur-
suits, to which he has since continued to devote
himself with the success which is always com-
manded by a high degree of business ability united
with strict integrity. The place which he occupies
in the regard of his t:wnsmen may be inferred
from the fact that for sixteen years he has held
the office of justice of the peace, and that his
administration of the office during that period
has given full satisfaction to all concerned. He
is a charter member of Bangor Lodge, No. 565,
F. and A. M., of which he was the first junior
warden and the second master. He is also a
member of the Bangor Chapter, No. 274, R. A. M.

Mr. Raesly married, in 1879, Emma, daugh-
ter of Jacob and Rebecca Snyder, and they are
the parents of two sons : George, who is a book-
keeper with F. S. Wise, Bangor ; and Ray, who
is employed at Bangor by the Delaware, Lacka-
wanna and Western Railroad.

SAMUEL JOHNSTON SHIMER was born
in Bethlehem township, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, December 3, 1837, son of Abra-
ham B. and Margaretta (Johnston) Shinier, na-
tives of the same county, and of German and
Scotch descent respectively. Mr. Shimer was
reared upon the old homestead in Bethlehem
township, and during his youtn he followed the
daily routine of farm life. He attended the pub-
lic schools of his neighborhood and finished his
education at an academy of Bethlehem.

Throughout his early manhood I\lr. Shimer
was engaged in farming, but in October, 1871,
he emigrated to i\lilton, Northumberland county,
for the purpose of joining his brother George in
the lumber business, whither the htter had jire-
ceded him in the spring of 1869, and conunenced





^;^;;^^^^,^S^



i



GENEALOGICAL AXD PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



375



operations under the firm name of Applegate,
Shimer & Company. Their first purchase con-
sisted of a tract of eighteen hundred acres of
heavily timbered land in Union county, from
which they cut the timber, and converting it into
lumber and hauled it to ^Milton, their nearest
shipping point. Subsequent purchases increased
these operations until the product of about three
thousand acres of fine timber lands had been cut
and marketed. In 1872 the firm established a
saw and planing mill in the borough of Milton,
and during this period, while engaged in manu-
facturing flooring and ceiling in 1873, ^'^ event
occurred that proved of incalculable benefit to
the firm — the invention of a matcher-head by
George and Samuel J. Shimer. A small machine
shop was erected and operated up to its destrnc-
tion by fire in May, 1880. The plant was rebuilt
as a machine shop for the manufacture of the
cutter heads and other specialties, and from that
time forward the firm devoted its whole attention
and energies to the prosecution of the new busi-
ness.

In 1884 George Shimer retired from the firm,
and our subject became sole proprietor. He aft-
erward took into partnership his sons, Elmer S.
and George S., and the firm became Samuel J.
Shimer & Sons. In the fall of 18S8 they as-
sumed control of the Milton Manufacturing Com-
pany's plant, which thev have since operated suc-
cessfully. In the spring of 1889 3>Ir. Shimer in-
vented and patented a valuable machine for cut-
ting metal washers, which was largely instru-
mental in establishing a business for the latter
plant.

Mr. Shimer was actively engaged in his busi-
ness enterprises, and personally supervised the
various departments with the assistance of com-
petent foremen. He regarded his workmen with
the greatest consideration, and had from them at
all times their best service. He was a member
of the Presbyterian church, and for many years
an elder. Politically, he supported the principles
and measures of the Republican party.

Mr. Shimer was one of the corporate mem-
bers of the Milton Trust and Safe Deposit Com-
pany, and a director and vice-president of that



institution until his death. He was widely known
and recognized as a man of commendable enter-
prise and public spirit, as well as one of the most
successful manufacturers of the \\'est iSranch
Valley.

Mr. Shimer w^as married September ij, i860,
to Catharine A., daughter of Isaac and Catharine
(Clemens) Stout, the former a native of North-
ampton county, and the latter of Bucks county,
Pennsylvania, and both of German origin. }drs.
Shimer was born in Northampton county, and
is the mother of three children : Elmer S., Mary
C, wife of William A. Heinen, and George S.

Samuel J. Shimer died at Milton, Northum-
berland county, Pennsylvania, June 18, 190 1.

ISAAC D. DERNBERGER, an active and
public-spirited citizen and successful business
man of the borough of Bangor, Pennsylvania,
whose extensive manufacturing enterprises are
an important factor in the commercial life of the
community and give steady employment to a
large number of its residents, is a native of War-
ren county. New Jersey, born near Delaware Sta-
tion, the date of his birth being June 13, 1853.
He is a lineal descendant of Daniel Dernberger,
who accompanied bv his brother David Dernber-
ger emigrated from Germany and settled in
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, at a very
early period in the history of the Lehigh \'alley.
These brothers removed to' the state of New
Jersey, David settled near Hampton Junction,
and Daniel in the vicinity of Belvidere, where he
confined his attention exclusively to agricultural
pursuits. One of the sons born to Daniel Dern-
berger was also named Daniel, and his son Jacob
Dernberger married a iSIiss Thace for his first
wife, and she bore him three children — Isaac,
Frederick and Mary. His second wife, whose
maiden name was ^liss Swazey, bore him a son
whom they named Jacob. Jacob Dernberger was
a man of marked ability and influence in the
community, held the office of justice of the peace
for a number of years, and was a large property
owner, bequeathing to each of his children a
farm. He was passionately fond of good horses,
and was the owner of a number of valuable thor-



376



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



oughbred specimens. He married and reared
a family of children, among whom was a son
named Frederick Dernberger.

Frederick Dernberger, father of Isaac D.
Dernberger, was born near Belvidere, Warren
county. New Jersey, this being the vicinity in
which his ancestors settled in 1704. His educa-
tional advantages were obtained in the common
schools of the neighborhood, and subsequently
he became a practical farmer, owning and opera-
ting one hundred acres of land which by his in-
dustry and perseverance became very productive
and yielded large and abundant harvests in re-
turn for his labor. Frederick Dernberger and
his wife, whose maiden name was Amanda Aten,
reared a family of six children — Sarah, deceased ;
Jacob, Simon, and Joseph, all three of whom
reside in Michigan ; Isaac D., mentioned at length
hereinafter ; and William, deceased.

The early years of the life of Isaac D. Dern-
berger were spent in the same manner as the lives
of most boys reared on a farm, and by studious
and close application to his studies in the public
schools he was qualified for a life of usefulness
and activity. His first employment was a clerk-
ship in a store, and the two years following his
resignation from this position he was employed
as manager of the Tobyhama Lumber Company's
store. In 1883 he located in x\ckermanville,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, where he
established and conducted a general store for ten
years. In addition to his duties he served in the
capacity of postmaster during this entire period
of time and was thoroughly familiar with the
duties attached to that office, it having been a part
of the wor'c assigned to him during his two years
clerkship. In 1893 Mr. Dernberger removed to
the borough of Bangor. For several years he
was engaged in the manufacture of school slate,
but finally abandoned that line of trade and con-
verted his plant into a grist mill, which he is oper-
ating at thL- present time. In 1899 he attached a
cider mill to his property, in the management of
wliich he has achieved a large degree of financial
success, and in addition to these two enterprises
he owns and operates an extensive brick y.ir'!



with a capacity of ten thousand bricks per day.
All his business transactions are conducted on
straightforward principles, and therefore the
great prosperity which has attended his efforts
is well merited. Mr. Dernberger is an honored
member of Warren Lodge, No. 13, Free and Ac-
cepted Masons, of Belvidere, New Jersey, and
the Knights of Malta, of Bangor, Pennsylvania.

JOSEPH KIDD. Among the native sons of
Lehigh county Pennsylvania, is the representa-
tive of this sketch, Joseph Kidd. a retired resi-
dent of Allentown, where he has resided since
the year 1862. His parents, Charles and Eliza-
beth (Stover) Kidd, reared a family of five chil-
dren to years of manhood and womanhocd,
namely: i. Isabelle, who became the wife of
Charles Ehret, and their children are: Charles,
unmarried ; Amanda, wife of Franklin Weaver,
no issue ; and Ellen, wife of James Schmidt, and
mother of two children: Irene, wife of Mr. Jones,
and mother of two children ; and Alberta, unmar-
ried. 2. Caroline, wife of Joseph Dech, no issue.
3. Joseph, mentioned at length hereinafter. 4.
Tilghman, who married Miss Bigot, and their
children are James, unmarried : and Emma, wife
cf Mr. Butterwick, and mother of one child, Ray-
mond Butterwick. 5. Susanna, wife of Fer-
dinand Wint, and their children are : Rufus, who
married and his family consists of three children ;
and Clara, wife of the Rev. Mr. Erdnian, of
Nazareth, no issue.

Joseph Kidd attended the public schools in
Schamersvillc, Pennsylvania, and after complet-
ing his studies assisted his father in the work
and management of the home farm, which con-
sisted of one hundred and twenty acres and was
devoted to general farming products. His father
was also the village blacksmith, and when Jo-
seph Kidd was twenty-six years of age he re-
moved his Ijlacksmith business to Lower Saucon
townshi]), and Josepli was left to manage the
entire farm, which he accortlingly did for the
following six years, and in the conduct of which
he achieved a large degree of success. iM'om
tliat time until he attained the age of fifty-five
\cars he assisted the residents of the neighbor-




^&o^t/Ji^ ^^Ccxiet^



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



m



hood when they were in need of the services of
an extra hand, and by industry, perseverance
and close economy accumulated a competency
which enabled him to retire from active business
pursuits and to live in comfort and ease there-
after. He took uo his residence in AUentown in
the year 1862, and twenty years later erected a
handsome home on Hamilton street, wherein he
and his wife now dwell. In national affairs he
cast his vote for the candidates of the Democratic
partv, but takes no active part in local politics.
He is a consistent member of the Lutheran
•church.

jNIr. Kidd was united in marriage to Marx-
Biery, daughter of David and Mary Ann ( Paul )
Biery, the former named having been a son of
Frederick and Salome ( Knauss ) Biery, and
grandson of Henry Biery, antl the latter named
was a daughter of John and Esther (Faust)
Paul, and granddaughter of Frederick and
Sophia (Bauer) Paul. David and Mary
Ann (Paul) Biery were the parents of the
following named children: i. Caroline, wife of
George Washington Bogh, and mother of ten
•children; 2. Henry, who married Maria Ruch,
and they are the parents of two children : 3.
Susanna, wife of David Ruch, and mother of
seven children ; 4. Hattie Esther, whose first
husband was Mr. Good, by whom she had one
•child, and whose second husband was Jonathan
Fischer, by whom she had two children : 5.
Walter, who married Catherine Roth, and their
family consists of four children ; 6. Mary, afore-
mentioned as the wife of Joseph Kidd, no issue ;
7. John, who married Fiana Weaver, and three
children were the issue of this marriage : 8. Owen,
who married Emma Balliet, and they are the
parents of one child ; 9. Sophia, wife of Phaon
Good, and mother of five children; 10. Diana,
who died in childhood; 11. Sallie, wife of Au-
gustus Mennig, and mother of four children.

\MLLIA:M H. SNYDER. Among the hon-
ored citizens of Bangor, Pennsylvania, who are
respected for genuine worth of character and long
and unobtrusive usefulness in the service of the



community in which they reside, none stands
higher than William H. Snyder. He belongs to
a family which is widely known in Northamp-
ton county, where it has been represented for sev-
eral generations.

Leonard Snyder, the place of whose nativity
is not reccrded, was " a resident of North-
ampton county, where he was engaged in busi-
ness. He married a Miss Abel, and their chil-
dren were : James, who was a blacksmith ; Charles
K., mentioned at length hereinafter; Leonard,
who was a well-to-do farmer in Forks township •.
Lena ; Elizabeth ; Joseph ; and two other daugh-
ters who married, respectively, Henry Messinger
and a Mr. Hazzard. All the son became estim-
able and worthy citizens.

Charles K. Snyder, son of Leonard and

(Abel) Snyder, was born April i8, 1807,

in Plainfield township, Northampton county. He
became a blacksmith, and for a number of years
worked at his trade at Ackermanville, in addition
to conducting a shop, his success in both branches
of industry affording conclusive proof of the
versatility of his talents. He also cultivated a
farm of 140 acres wdnich he owned in South
Bangor, then Washington township. In 1843 '^^
moved to Bangor, or what is now the borough
of Bangor, and aside from the land already men-
tioned owned fifty acres more which were situated
east of the borough and are now the site of an
extensive quarry of slate. In connection with
this fact it may be stated that, great as was I\Ir.
Snyders sagacity as a business man, he did not
foresee the great slate industry which has since
developed on the property which he then owned.
As a citizen Mr. Snyder was distinguished by the
same traits of acuteness. enterprise and faith-
fulness which marked his character as a business
man. He was a member of the Mennonite church.
He married Barbara Ackerman, who was born
February 18. 1807, in a hamlet which had been
named in honor of the family to which her pa-
ternal ancestors belonged. The Ackermans were
originally residents of Bucks county. Mr. and
I\Irs. Snyder were the parents of four children,
only one of whom is now living, namelv. Will-



3/8



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



iam H., mentioned at length hereinafter. The
death of Mr. Snyder occurred November 7, 1871,
and his wife, who was a member of the Evan-
gelical church, passed away June 4, 1882. Great
as was the admiration inspired by Mr. Snyder's
executive talents, it was equalled by the respect
commanded by his incorruptible honesty. The
many estimable qualities of his wife had greatly
endeared her to a large circle of friends. When
Mr. and Mrs. Snyder were removed from the
sphere in which they had so long moved, it was
felt by all that their places could not easily be
filled.

William H. Snyder, son of Charles K. and
Barbara (Ackerman) Snyder, was born August
I, 1833, at Ackermanville, where he received his
primary education. When he had reached his
twelfth year his parents moved to Bangor, where
he pursued his more advanced studies. He was
engaged in early life in agricultural pursuits, but
later turned his attention to the manufacture of
school slate, an enterprise in which he was sig-
nally successful, conducting a flourishing busi-
ness for a period of twelve years, during which
time he gave abundant proof that the business
ability of the father had been inherited in no small
measure by the son. Mr. Snyder is faithful in
the discharge of all the duties of citizenship, and
possesses the full confidence of his townsmen,
who have given convincing evidence of the fact
by electing him to the office of school director,
judge of elections, and member of the town coun-
cil. In this last named position he ably served
seven terms. For the last twelve years he has
held the office of assessor. His political prin-
ciples are those of a stanch Republican. He be-
longs to the Masonic fraternity, affiliating with
Bangor Lodge, No. 565, F. & A. M. He and his
family are members of the United Evangelical
church.

Mr. Snyder married, October 25, 1856, Julia
A. Miller, and three children have been born to
them. Of this number, two are living, namely :
Charles E., and Amanda, who is the wife of
Ceorge A. Slack. Mrs. Snyder is a daughter of
i\Ianas'seh and Mary (La Barrc) Miller. The



latter was a daughter of Daniel La Barre, one
of the old settlers of northern Northampton coun-
ty. Mr. Miller was a wheelwright by trade, and
a first-class mechanic. He was also, owing to a
somewhat peculiar and exceptional combination
of circumstances and traits of character, a man of
education and refinement, and had had some ex-
perience as a teacher, in which capacity he had
attained to a degree of prominence. He and his
wife were the parents of ten children, four of
whom are now living, namely : ]\Iary A., who is
the wife of Frank Smith ; Julia A., who was born
in 1835, '''' L'pper Mount Bethel township, and be-
came the wife of WUliam H. Snyder, as mentioned
above ; and two sons, named respectively, George
and Reuben.

Mr. Snyder has now retired from active busi-
ness life, and is residing in well-earned leisure in
the commodious and comfortable home on the
corner of Broadway and Third street. Here he
and his wife are spending the evening of their
days, happy in their domestic relations, and in
the sincere and cordial regard of a large circle
of warm and devoted friends.

MORRIS ADER, proprietor of a bakery in
Pen Arvgl, was born in Clinton, New Jersey, in
1865, and remained a resident of that jilace un-
til seventeen years of age. During that time he
acquired his education in the public schools, and
learned the baker's trade under the direction of
A. Webster.

In 1883 he removed to Bangor, Pennsylvania,
where he resided for about a year. He next took
up his abode in Trenton, New Jersey, where an-
other year was passed, and he then came to Pen
Argvl, having since been a representative of the



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 67 of 92)