John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 68 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 68 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


business interests here. Establishing a bakery,
he has built up a large and profitable business.
He purchased his present property in 1892 and
added his oven in 1894, at the same time making
other necessary repairs. He now has facilities
for baking one thousand loaves of bread a day.
and the secret of his success is found in the ex-
cellent quality of his product. His twenty years
of experience in the work has given him an ac-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



379



curate knowledge of what is demanded by the
pubHc, and he puts forth every effort in his power
to supply his patrons with commodities that are
of the highest grade. In his business dealings
he is enterprising and honorable an,l thus he is
winning a very desirable success. In 1900 he
erected a beautiful and substantial brick residence
in Pen Argyl, and in addition to this propertv he
owns a double house some distance from his home.
His wife also owns a dwelling in her own name,
and thus they have valuable realty interests in
the borough. Mr. Ader gives his political alle-
giance to the Republican party, but the honors
and emoluments of office have no attraction for
him, as he prefers to devote his entire time to
his business. He and his wife are members of
the Presbyterian church.

In 1882 he was united in marriage to Miss
Annie Bortel, of Trenton, New Jersey, and they
have one daughter, Mary E., who was born in
1894.

DR. G. X. SWARTZ, physician and surgeon
of Pen Argyl, was born in Lehigh township,
Northampton county, February 20, 185 1. His
ancestral history is one of close connection with
Pennsylvania through many generations. It is
not known exactly the time of the establishment
of the family in Pennsylvania, but the original
American ancestors were Holland people, who lo-
cated at what is now known as Swartzdam in
Lehigh township, Northampton county.

Andrew Swartz, the grandfather of Dr
Swartz, married a IMiss Zeigler, and among their
children was Jacob Z. Swartz, who was born in
1806, and became an extensive farmer of North-
ampton county, his landed possessions aggregat-
ing two hundred acres, comprised within two
farms. He was very practical in his work, and
developed valuable properties. He passed away
at the comparatively early age of fifty-seven
years, while his wife, who bore the maiden name
of Susan Newcomer, died in 1885. They were
members of the Reformed church, and Mr.
Swartz gave his political allegiance to the Repub-
lican party. His children numbered fourteen, six



of whom are living and are actively engaged in
various honorable pursuits. These are Henry
N., Jacob N., Elizabeth Knauss, Sarah N., John
W. N., and Gene N.

Dr. Swartz is indebted to the common schools
of his native township for the early educational
privileges he enjoved. His boyhood days were
spent upon his father's farm, and when he had
completed his common school course he entered
Mount Pleasant Seminary at Boyertown, Penn-
svlvania, in which he completed a regular course,
and was graduated in 1870. He next became a
student in Palatinate College, from which he was
graduated in 1874. His professional education
was received in Bellevue Hospital Medical Col-
lege of New York, in which he was graduated in
1875, and the following year he was graduated
from the Jefferson Medical College of Philadel-
phia. Immediately afterward he established his
business in Ackermanville, where he continued
in practice for seven years, and in 1883 he re-
moved to Pen Argyl, where he has since resided.
Here he has built up a large and growing practice
which is an indication of his skill and merit. His
high standing in the profession is acknowledged
by the members of medical fraternity as well as
the general public. In addition to performing the
duties connected with an extensive private prac-
tice, he is surgeon for the Pennsylvania Division
of the Lehigh & New England Railroad. Dr.
Swartz belongs to the Northampton County Med-
ical Society, the Lehigh Valley ^Medical Society
and the Pennsylvania State Medical Association.
He is also a worthy member of Pen Argyl Lodge,
No. 594, F. & A. M., and Bushkill Creek Lodge,
I. O. O. F.

In 1877 Dr. Swartz was married to ^liss Alary
C. Sencenbach, a native of Bath, Pennsylvania,
and they have a daughter, Susan AI. In 1902 Dr.
Swartz built one of the best residences in the
borough of Pen Argyl, it adding much to the
beauty of the town.

WILLIAM BUZZARD, a member of the
firm of Fitzgerald, Speer & Company, manufac-
turers of lumber and mill work at Pen Argjd, can



38o



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



track his ancestry in Lehigh county back through
six generations. His great-grandfather, John
Buzzard, was of German parentage and, remov-
ing from Bucks county, Pennsylvania, to North-
ampton county, settled in Washington township.
There he purchased a farm of one hundred and
five acres of new land on which no improvements
had been made. By trade he was a blacksmith,
and he followed that calling in his early business
career, but subsequently gave undivided atten-
tion to his agricultural pursuits. His children
were Gerhard, George, Herman, Rachel and
Mary. Of this number Gerhard Buzzard was
the grandfather of William Buzzard. He, too,
was a farmer and succeeded to the ownership of
his father's land, comprising one hundred and
five acres. To this he added seventy-five acres
adjoining the original tract. He married Susan
Landers, and they became the parents of five
children : Jonas, Jesse, Samuel, John and Joseph.
The grandfather, Gerhard Buzzard, who was
born in 1808, passed away in 1883, while his wife
died in 1881.

Jonas Buzzard, the father of William Buz-
zard, was born in Washington township, North-
ampton county, in 1834, and died in 1881. He
was a farmer by occupation, but did not own the
land which he operated. He belonged to the
Flicksville Lutheran church, in which he served
as a deacon. His wife bore the maiden name of
Sarah E. Beck, and was a native of Upper Mount
Bethel, Northampton county. She was born in
1832 and died in 1892. In their family were the
following named : Susanna, deceased ; Emma ;
Maggie and William, twins ; Sarah and Mary,
twins ; Ella, Catherine and Alice, all deceased ;
and Henry and Franklin. All were born in
Washington township, Northampton county.

William Buzzard was born June 9, 1862, and
pursued his education in the schools of his na-
tive township. He followed agricultural pursuits
until nineteen years of age, and in 188 1 began
serving an apprenticeship to the carpenter's
trade. He was connected with that line of in-
dustrial activity for seven years, and subsequently
engaged in the operation of a planing mill at



Bangor for two years. In 1890 he became a mem-
ber of the firm of Fitzgerald, Speer & Companv,
and being an experienced mechanic of marked
ability he is acting in the capacity of foreman in
the mill.

Mr. Buzzard has been a member of the Lu-
theran church in his locality to the present time,
and is now serving as deacon in the church of
that denomination at Pen Argyl. Socially, he is
connected with the Royal Arcanum and the Mod-
ern Woodmen of America. He was married De-
cember 26, 1884, to Miss Sarah C. Ott. of L^pper
Mount Bethel and their children are Myrta M.,
Clark M. and Charles C. The daughter is the
wife of William Kellow, and they have a son
Arthur.

CHARLES BIELER is the senior partner
of C. Bieler & Son, dealers in hardware and
stoves in Pen Argyl, and his business interests
are conducted along such progressive lines that
success has attended his efiforts. He was born in
Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in 1853, and is a
son of Joseph and Hannah (Kern) Bieler. The
former was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania,
in 1827, and the latter in 1822. They removed
to Freemansburg, this state, about 1858, and there
the father engaged in the hardware business, re-
maining a resident of that place for about eighteen
years. He carried on mercantile pursuits ttntil
1879, and is now making his home with his son
Charles Bieler. His wife passed away in 1890.
She was a devoted wife and mother, and the fam-
ily numbered seven children : Mary A.. John,
.Susanna, Charles, Amanda, Leo and Emma. Of
this number Amanda is now deceased.

Charles Bieler acquired his education in
Freemansburg, and also received instruction in
business affairs there. Subsequently, he removed
to Easton, where he worked at the tinsmith's
trade that he had learned with the father. .\t a
later date he went to Bangor, Pennsylvania, and
was in the employ of a Mr. Flory, for some time.
Since 1880 he has made his home permanently in
Pen Argyl, where he is today carrying on business
as senior member of C. Bieler & Son. dealers in



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



381



hardware and in stoves. In 1902 he built his pres-
ent store building, which is large and commodious
and is well stocked with a good line of shelf and
heavy hardware. Always trustworthy in his deal-
ings, he has secured a liberal patronage because
of his earnest desire to please his customers and
his honorable methods.

Mr. Bieler has been thrice married. He first
wedded Miss Alavesta Graffin. of Catasaqua.
Pennsylvania, in 1875. Three children were born
to this union: Frank D., Herbert J. and Minnie
M. The wife and mother passed away, and for
his second wife Mr. Fiieler chose Miss Emma Fat-
zinger, a former resident of Easton, Pennsyl-
vania, whom he wedded in 1884. To this mar-
riage were born six children : Edward C, Ma-
mie, Roy C, Harvey E., Charles A. and Alavesta.
In 1902 Mr. Bieler married Miss Elizabeth Wag-
ner. His son Frank D. is his partner in business,
the connection between them having been formed
in 1889.

Mr. Bieler has been honored by his fellow
citizens with election to the office of chief burgess
of Pen Argyl, and has also served on the school
board and in minor official positions. He is a
member of the Evangelical Association, in which
he has served as class leader and trustee. He was
licensed to preach the gospel in churches of his
denomination in 1850, and is a fluent and forceful
speaker, logical in argument and convincing in
his discourse. Xot only does he preach, how-
ever, but also practices his religious views, for
in all life' relations he is found honorable and
true, giving his influence on the side of right,
truth, justice and progress.

DR. \'. B. \VEA\'ER, the proprietor of the
Slate X'alley Hotel at Bangor, Pennsylvania, was
born in Lehigh county in 1849. He is a descen-
dant of an old family of the name of Weber that
was established in America during the early col-
onial epoch in our country's history. Later gen-
erations of the family changed the name to its
more anglicized form of Weaver. John Weber,
the great-grandfather of Dr. Weaver, and the
first of the name in the new world, reared a fam-



ily of several children, including : John Eahart
Weaver, the grandfather, who became an exten-
sive farmer owning one hundred acres of valu-
able land which he placed under a high state of
cultivation. He served with patriotism and valor
as a soldier of the war of 1812. His wife was
Miss Elizabeth Ertman, and to this marriage
were born seven children, of whom two daughters
are yet living.

Perry Weaver, the father of Dr. Weaver, was
born in Lehigh county in 1S20, and died from. the
result of an accident sustained at Friedensville,
Pennsylvania, January 12, 1S72. He was* reared ■
and educated in his native county, where he al- ■
ways followed agricultural pursuits. His landed ■
possessions aggregated one hundred acres, and
his neighbors regarded him as a practical and
progressive farmer, while his diligence was
demonstrated by his success. He held the office
of director of the poor of Lehigh county. His
wife bore the maiden name of ]\Iiss Margaret
Backstone, and to them were born four children,
two of whom are living, John and V. B. The
former is the proprietor of a hotel in Center
Valley, Lehigh county.

Dr. Weaver pursued his education in the
schools cf Lehigh county, and in early life en-
gaged in clerking. In 1877 he took up the study
of a veterinary surgeon, pursuing his course
under the celebrated veterinarian. Dr. James
McCoart of Philadelphia. On the completion of
his course he was graduated, and he is now a
member of the State \'eterinary Association. In
1870, however, he turned his attention to the
hotel business, with which he has since been con-
nected. He was first proprietor of the Xorth
Fenn Hotel at-Bingen, in Saucon township, and
subsequently he removed to Pen Argyl, where he
conducted the Albion Hotel. In 1901 he came to
Bangor, purchased the property of Wilson F.
Jordon. and is now proprietor of the Slate \''al-
ley Hotel. He has made for this a splendid rep-
utation : everything is neat and orderly, and there
is a capacity for the entertainment of twenty-five
guests.

Dr. Weaver is a member of Pen Argyl Lodge,



382



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



No. 594, F. and A. M. ; Bangor Chapter, No.
274, R. A. M.; and Hugh De Payens Comman-
dery, No. ig, K. T., of Easton, Pennsylvania.
While living in Pen Argyl he served on the
school board for five years, and was a postmaster
of Bingen, Pennsylvania, under President Cleve-
land for four years. In 1870 he was united in
marriage to Miss Christiana E. Rinehart, a na-
tive of Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, and their
children are Henry E., who is now employed by
the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company at Easton,
Pennsylvania: Lennie C, now Mrs. Jordon;
George -W., deceased ; and William P., who is a
student in the veterinary department of the
United States College of Veterinary Surgeons,
Washington, D. C.

REV. SAMUEL G. WAGNER, D. D.,
widely known throughout Pennsylvania for his
long and useful ministerial work and his active
labors in behalf of the educational and kindred in-
terests of the Reformed church, has been a resi-
dent of the city of Allentown for the last thirty-
six years. He located there in June, 1868, hav-
ing been elected to the pastorate of St. John's
Reformed church there. He resigned the duties
and work of that charge in the spring of 1904,
delivering his last sermon as pastor on July 3d,
after conscientious and faithful labors for the
highest welfare of that congregation and for the
cause of the Master in whatever field he could
enter, during the unusually long period of thir-
ty-six years. As the natural result he became uni-
versally and most favorably known in the com-
munity, as well as in a large scope of contiguous
territory. He is yet a resident of the city which
has been the principal scene of his long, arduous
and beneficient effort.

Dr. Wagner is not a native of Lehigh county,
but is of Pennsylvania, having been born in the
vilage of Paradise, Northumberland county, Oc-
tober 4, 1831. His parents were the Rev. Henry
and Sarah Magdeline (Wiestling) Wagner.
Both were of German extraction, the father hav-
ing been born in Cumru township, Berks county,
Pennsylvania, and the mother in Harrisburg,
Pennsylvania, where her father. Dr. Samuel C.



Wiestling, a native of Germany, had successfully
practiced medicine for many years. The father's
grandfather was originally from Germany.

Dr. Wagner spent his boyhood days in the
town of Lebanon, Pennsylvania, from 1836 to
1848, and during these years laid the founda-
tions of subsequent preparation and training for
his life work, in the local academy, under the
care and tuition of Professor J. H. Kluge. In
the spring of 1848, when seventeen years of age,
he was matriculated as a student in the sopho-
more class of Marshall College, then located at
Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, by which institution
he was graduated with honor (being the saluta-
torian of his class) in September of 1850, when
only nineteen years old. In ti.e fall of 185 1 he
entered the Theological Department of the same
school, became a graduate from it three years
later, and then for the next two years remained
as teacher of the Marshall Collegiate Institute of
the same place. In the spring of 1855, after the
required examination, he was licensed by the Mer-
cersburg Classis of the Reformed Church of the
United States to preach the gospel. His first
pastorate after his ordination by the Classis of
Philadelphia in the summer of 1855 was located
in Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, and com-
prised the so-called Boehm's Church and the
White Marsh Church. This pastorate continued
for thirteen years, until May, 1868, when he re-
signed it to take charge of the St. John's Re-
formed Congregation of Allentown, which he
served from June, 1888, to July i, 1904, a period
of sixteen years. His entire service in the
Christian ministry has thus covered the very un-
usual period of forty-nine years, and his entire
career as a preacher has been extended over one
year more than a half century. The foregoing
brief summary of his ministerial life is a most
eloquent eulogy. That one clergyman should
minister to no more than two congregations dur-
ing so many years testifies not only to his con-
scientious fidelity to trusts of the highest import,
but proclaims, as well, the deep gratitude and
sincere affection with which his people rewarded
him. And surely it may be said of such a pastor,
that his works do follow him, and that




90 y, liTXc^V^c^r-



i



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



383



"God giveth increase through the

coming years,
And lets men reap in joy seed that
was sown in tears."

In addition to his active and long continued
labors in the ministry proper. Dr. Wagner has
served the church in various important positions
of trust. He has served as stated — clerk of one
Classis and is treasurer of ancther, and has
been put into the position of president of the
three several Classes to which he belonged. He
was frequently sent as a delegate to the district
synod and of the general synod, and was placed
in the position of presiding officer by the former
bodv. He has been a member of the board of
trustees cf Franklin and Alarshall College since
1878 ; a member and president of the board of
visitors of the Theological Seminary about the
same length of time ; a member of the board of
education of the Eastern Synod, and its presiding
officer for a number of years ; a member of the
board of home missions and of the board of
commissioners of Foreign Missions. He served
as an assistant teacher in the Allentown College
for Women from 1868 to 1875, and was then and
is still a member of its board of trustees, and,
since the resignation of the Rev. Dr. A. J- G.
Dubbs, has been its presiding officer.

His alma mater has conferred upon Dr. Wag-
ner the usual college honors of ^Master of Arts
in 1853, and of Doctor of Divinity in 1880. In
his earlier life he served on the committee to
whom was entrusted the work of publishing the
"Mercersburg Review,"' and he occasionally con-
tributed an article to its columns.

The history of the St. John's Reformed Con-
gregation of Allentown, should such a narrative
be compiled, would contain as one of its most
important chapters an account of the labors with
it of Dr. Wagner. Under his guidance, and in
large degree as the result of his unremitting and
self-sacrificing labors, it has become an influence
and a power for good in the city. Dr. Wagner,
always deeply interested in the cause of missions,
both home and foreign, has been enabled by the
hearty and generous co-operation of his parish-
ioners, to promote that beneficient cause to a



large extent in Allentown and the outlying re-
gions, as well as in foreign lands. They together,
and aided by the son of Dr. Wagner, the Rev. C.
Ernest Wagner, while he was assistant pastor,
together with the princely gift of J\Ir. and Mrs.
Joseph Ruhe, and the contributions and assistance
of other members and friends of the congregation,
succeeded in the early nineties in organizing the
Trinity Reformed Congregation in the western
end of the city of Allentown, and in furnishing it
with the chapel in which it originally worshipped,
and which it continues to use for Sunday school
purposes. They were interested also in the early
work of other missions in the city. Indeed, it
may be truthfully written, that their zeal has
largely inspired the work of church extension in
the Reformed Church in Allentown. Prior to
1866, there existed only Zion Reformed Church,
the mother church, whereas at the present time,
thirty-eight years later on, the congregations
number nine. Dr. Wagner, though retired from
the pastorate, continues to be a resident of Allen-
town, closely attached to the people with whom
his lot has so long been cast, and he endeavors to
the utmost of his great abilitv to further the
causes of which he was through so many years
the directing head, and his counsel is sought and
deferred to as coming from one whose knowledge
of conditions and wise judgment is of the great-
est worth.

On October 18, 1859, Dr. Wagner was joined
in matrimony to Miss Rebecca Earnest, of Nor-
ristown, Pennsylvania, the third daughter of Will-
iam Earnest and his wife, Lucy. Mr. Earnest
was put into various positions of trust from time
to time by his fellow citizens.

Mrs. Wagner departed this life on December
I. igoo, and lies buried in Fairview Cemetery,
south of the city. She was a woman highly re-
garded bv the community in which she lived, and
was a valuable assistant to her husband in his
arduous duties. Four children were born to Dr.
and Mrs. Wagner, and three of the number, all
daughters, died in early childhood. The fourth,
a son, Charles Ernest Wagner, is yet living.

Charles Ernest Wagner was born in Mont-
gomery county, Pennsylvania, October 10, 1864.



384



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



He received his education in the public schools of
Allentown, in Muhlenberg College, in the Theo-
logical Seminary of the Reformed Chruch, locat-
ed in Lancaster City, Pennsylvania, and in Ox-
ford University, England, where he devoted two
years (1891-93) in further preparing himself
for doing the work in which he has been engaged
since 1893, as Professor of the English Language
and Literature, in Franklin and Marshall College,
which since 1853 has been located at Lancaster,
Pennsylvania.

CHARLES J. FITZGERALD, whose activ-
ity in business affairs has made him one of the
leading promoters of the development of Pen
Argyl, was born in Benton, Lackawanna county.
Pennsylvania, April 2, 1847, and is of Irish and
English lineage in the paternal line, while his ma-
ternal ancestors were French and English.

His grandfather, William Fitzgerald, was
born in Dublin, Ireland, and was about twelve
years of age when he crossed the Atlantic to the
United States, becoming a resident of Greene
county, New York. He learned and followed the
trade of a wheelwright, and spent his last years in
New York city. John Fitzgerald, the father of
Charles J. Fitzgerald, was bom in Greene county.
New York, August 27. 1803, and was a youth of
eleven years when he accompanied his parents to
the metropolis. In early youth he learned the
trade of a carpenter and joiner, and afterward
that of a ship builder, following the latter pursuit
until he enlisted for service as a private in the
Mexican war. He did not go to the front, how-
ever, for the government learning the fact that
he was a ship builder, sent him to the ship "John
Adams," in order that he might follow his trade.
He was thus engaged for four years, during which
time he went to the Sandwich Islands and to the
island of Sarnatra in order to avenge the death
of a former cajitain and cabin bov of an .\mer-
ican trading vessel that had been plundered pri-
vately at that port while taking on fuel and water,
jiihn .'Xdams had the co-operation of the "Cut-
ler," an American vessel, and each carried four
hundred and fifty marines. After capturing the



pirates they demanded that the perpetrators of the
former outrage be delivered up to justice or the
villages would be burned and destroyed. As the
first proposition was net accepted the towns were
burned, .\fter this the "John Adams" made a
tour of the globe, and 'Sir. Fitzgerald visited
nany points of interest, among which were the
ruins of Herculaneum and Pompeii. After four
years spent upon the high seas he returned to
New York city. Subsequently, however, he went
on two cruises to the northern seas on a whal-
ing vessel, being gone for more than four years.
On the expiration of that period he again began
work as a carpenter and joiner in New York
city, where he remained for two years. His po-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 68 of 92)