John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 71 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 71 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


It has been developed along modern ideas and
progressive lines, and his enterprise and industry
have classed him with the leading representatives
of trade interests in his borough.

Mr. Rehr was united in marriage to Miss
Maria Miller, a daughter of John and .Sarah
Miller, of Mahoning township. Their marriage
was celebrated on the 5th of January, 1879, and
to them have been born four children : Mrs. Mary
E. Hill, Hattie S., John U., and James E. The
elder son married Miss Rebecca Huffman, and
to them two children have been born.

CHARLES AMERICUS BACHMAN, D.
D. S., of Emaus, is descended from a family
founded in America at the time of the establish-
ment of the colonv by William Penn. and repre-
sentatives of the name have since won distinction
in various business occupations and professional
lines. Peter Pjachman, grandfather of Dr. Bach-
man, married a Miss Hartman, and their
son, P. H. Bachman, was bcrn in Lynn-
yille, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania. He be-
came an extensive farmer whose intelli-
gence and well directed labors brought him
success, and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his
fidelity to the best interests of his community,
called him to various township offices which he
filled in an able manner. He married Medina
Kistler, who was born in New Tripoli, Pennsyl-
vania, a daughter of Abraham and Regina Kistler.
Their children are: George A., Henrv G., Mrs.
Howard A. Peters, Mrs. Charles L. Peters,
Charles A., Mrs. Henry W. Peters, Thomas G.,
deceased, and one that died in infancy, and Will-
iam B. The parents are still living in Lehigh
county.

Dr. Bachman, born in Lynn township, Lehigh
county, September 10, 1873, spent his boyhood
days on the home farm, and after acquiring his
education in the public schools of his native town-
shi]i engaged in teaching school for several terms.
He subsequently entered the College of Dental
Surgery at Philadelphia, from which institution
lie was graduated with the class of 1900. The
succeeding year was spent at home, and in 1901



he opened an office in Emaus, where he has since
built up an extensive and profitable practice. His
mechanical skill, rendered effective by the most
modern appliances known to dentistry, and com-
bined with comprehensive and accurate scienti-
fic knowledge, has won for him prominence in
his profession in Emaus. He is a member of the
Lehigh Valley Dental Association, the State Den-
tal Society, the Wilbur F. Litch Society of Strom-
athology, and the Susquehanna Valley Dental
Association. He likewise belongs to the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows.

Dr. Bachman was married Alarch 30, 1902,
to Miss Viola Erdman, a daughter of O. H. and
Alvesta S. Erdman.

ANDREW BAYER, whose well directed
energy in business affairs has made him one of
the leading representatives of commercial inter-
ests in Lehighton, is a native of Bavaria, Ger-
many, born August 30, 1856. His parents, Anton
J. and Ottilia Bayer, were also natives of Bavaria,
and spent their entire lives in that countrv. The
father was an expert architect and contractor,
whose business reached extensive proportions.
He died ]\Iarch 5, 1883, and his widow was de-
ceased April 7, 1904.

Under the parental roof Andrew Bayer spent
the days of his boyhood, and when he had left the
public schools in which he acquired his education
he was apprenticed to the trade of paper hanging,
becoming a thorough and reliable workman. He
has advanced so greatly in tnis chosen field of
labor that he has made it almost an art, and occu-
pies a foremost position as a representative of
his calling in this section of Pennsylvania. • Ere
leaving his native land he served in the German
army as a sergeant from 1877 until 1880 inclus-
ive. During that period much of his time was
spent in office work, his education and capability
well equipping him for such duty. When about
twenty-seven years of age he determined. to seek
'his home in America tl.at he might enjoy its
better business opportunities, and in 1883 crossed
the Atlantic, locating at Lehighton, Pennsylvania,
where he pursued his trade as a practical journey-
man for two vears. He was vcrv successful, and



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



397



in 1885 purchased his present property, where ho
has since conducted an excellent busniess on
straightforward, upright principles. He has a
large store in which he carries a full line of car-
pets, oils, paints and wall paper, situated at the
corner of First and Iron streets. Mr. Ba3'er
owns the block, including not only his store
rooms, but also the Lehighton Opera House.
The building is erected of brick, and is one of the
best structures of the borough. Mr. Bayer also
owns the dwelling in which he resides, and he is
a farsighted real estate speculator whose good
judgment has been proven in a number of impor-
tant realty transactions, in which he has taken
part.

In 1885 Mr. Bayer was united in marriage
to Miss Louise Schwartz, who was born in 1862,
and to them were born seven children : Aloysius,
Frank, Charles, William, Alfonze, Cecelia and
Joseph. The family are communicants of the
Roman Catholic church, and Mr. Bayer is a mem-
ber of the St. Joseph Society. With his wife he
visited Germany in 1888 in order to see his
mother, and spent many pleasant hours renewing
the associations of his youth and early manhood
amid the scenes in which his childhood days
were passed. He is, however, a most loyal citi-
zen of his adopted country, having a sincere and
patriotic love for the stars and stripes. He came
to America with no capital save strong determi-
nation and indefatigable courage, and through
his inherent force and character, his earnest pur-
pose and consecutive endeavor, he has made for
himself a place among the successful business
men of Lehighton.

T. A. SNYDER, of Lehighton, Pennsylvania,
the impress of whose individuality has been felt
in educational and legal circles, and whose sagac-
ity and keen discernment concerning existing
conditions in the business and material world have
been manifest in the promotion of important busi-
ness enterprises, stands as the foremost represent-
ative of the Lehigh valley. His influence has not
been a minor element in the promotion of many
movements that have contributed to the general
welfare, and he has attained to prominence



through the mherent force of his character, the
exercise of his native talent, and the utilization
of surrounding opportunities. His professional
career has excited the admiration and won the re-
spect of his contemporaries, yet it is not this alone
tnat entitles him to rank as one of the prom-
inent men of his day in the Lehigh valley. His
connection with the public interests of Lehighton
has been far-reaching and beneficial, for he has
aided in promoting the educational, aesthetic and
moral development of the borough. His labors
have been felt as a stimulating influence in the
substantial upbuilding of his county, and in the
unfolding of an educational purpose, the effects
of which are manifest in the high standard of the
schools of the county to-day.

Mr. Snyder was born in Stroudsburg, Mon-
roe county, Pennsylvania, April 15, 1857, and is
of French, Holland, English and German lineage.
While this country was still numbered among
the colonial possessions of Great Britain his an-
cestors came to the new world. His paternal
grandparents, George and Elizabeth (Emery)
Snyder, were natives of Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, and for many years owned a large
farm on the Delaware river, near what was then
known as Snyder's ferry, but is now called Hart-
zell's ferry. Sometime after their marriage they
removed to ^lonroe county, where their remain-
ing days were spent. Their children were John
E., William, Theodore M. and Joseph C. Snyder.

John E. Snyder, the father of T. A. Snyder,
was a native of Northampton county, Pennsvl-
vania, and in his youth became familiar with
agricultural pursuits while assisting his father in
the operation of the home farm. In early man-
hood he removed to Stroudsburg, where
he engaged in contracting and building,
and for five years he was connected with
service in the courthouse at that place.
The growth, progress and development of
the community were matters of much interest to
him, and many movements for the general good
received his hearty cooperation and support. He
died February 28, 1903, at the age of seventy-six
years, while his wife passed away on the 28th
of July, 1888, at the age of fifty-seven years.



398



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



She bore the maiden name of Ehzabeth Utt, and
was also a native of Pennsylvania, born in North-
ampton county. Her grandfather, Adam Utt,
emigrated from Holland to America, but was of
French descent. He served as a colonel under
Benjamin Franklin in the French and Indian
war, and during the Revolutionary war, he was
a noted Indian fighter and scout. His services
were in constant demand as guide because of his
knowledge of the country and the customs of the
red men, and he frequently conducted parties of
travelers through the wilderness districts of Penn-
sylvania. His family numbered six sons, one
of whom was Elias Utt, the grandfather of Air.
Snyder. He became the founder of a general
store at Bangor, Pennsylvania, which town was
formerly called Uttsville, and was the early pro-
moter of business activity in that borough. He
married Miss Elizabeth Butz, and to them were
born the following children : Rebecca, Hannah,
Francis E., Eliza, Catherine, Adam, Jacob, Ro-
bert and Ella A. It was the daughter of Elizabeth
who became the wife of John M. Snyder and the
mother of T. Allen Snyder. Both branches of
the mother's family trace their ancestrv to two
noted governors of Pennsylvania.

T. A. Snyder was the eldest of three children,
two sons and a daughter. His early education
was acquired in the common schools of Strouds-
burg, and he completed the high school course
there under the direction of Professor B. F.
Morey. He then entered the normal school at
Millersville, Pennsylvania, in which institution
he was graduated on the completion of a scien-
tific course, and thus he was well fitted for future
usefulness in his chosen career. For a number
of years he devoted his attention in undivided
manner to educational work, and at the early age
of sixteen was employed as teacher of a grammar
school in his native city. In 1877 he arrived in
Lehighton, and received favorable introduction
to the citizens of the borough through Dr. Brooks,
of Philadelphia. Here he entered upon the work
of teaching, and in 1877 he was called to the
office of principal. His term of service covered
two years, and at the head of the schools of



Lehighton he gave entire satisfaction through ca-
pable service and progressive methods.

Following his retirement from office, Mr.
Snyder returned to Stroudsburg with the determ-
ination to make tne practice of law his life work.
To this end he began reading in the office and
under the direction of Hon. John B. Storm, and
in 1883 was admitted to the bar of Monroe coun-
ty. He did not at once, however, become an
active factor in the work of the courts, but re-
sumed his labors as an educator, returning to
Lehighton, where he was once more principal of
the schools for two years. On the expiration of
that period he was elected county superintendent
of schools of Carbon county, in 1885, for a term
of three years, and thus became the youngest
incumbent in an office of that character in the
entire state. That the concensus of public opinion
was favorable is shown by the fact that he was
twice re-elected, serving for nine consecutive
years, during which time satisfactory progress
was made in various lines of educational activity
in connection with the public school system of the
county. Zealous and able in his advocacy of the
work of the schools he put forth strong and
effective eiTort for their advancement. His inter-
est in educational work has never faltered, and he
has gained more than local reputation in this con-
nection. He has been three times elected
a member of the executive committee of
the State Teachers' Association, and was once its
chairman. He took an active interest in institute
work during his connection with the schools, and
in educational ranks he attained an enviable posi-
tion, being recognized as one of the leading edu-
cators of the state. Methods and improvements
which he instituted in Lehighton and Carbon
county still continue potent factors in the success-
ful conduct of the schools, and have been elements
in advancing the educational system here to its
present high standard.

During his incumbency in the office of county
superintendent, Mr. Snyder also gave some at-
tention to the practice of law, and continued his
reading, and upon his retirement from the posi-
tion 01 county superintendent in June, 1893, he




COLONIAL COURT," RESIDENCE OF T. A. SNYDER.

(FRONT AND SIDE VIEWS.)



H

m
o



O

w

en

o
w
z

n

w

o



en

a
w




GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



399



at once opened a law office and entered upon a
professional career at the bar that has been satis-
factory and profitable. He has a good law library
and' a handsomely appointed office. His clientage
has steadily grown in volume and importance, and
he stands to-day as one of the strong and able
members of the Carbon county bar, possessing a
comprehensive knowledge of the principles of
jurisprudence, and handling with ability and pre-
cision the intricate questions which continually
confront the lawyer. He prepares his cases with
great thoroughness, intuitively grasping the
strong points of a case and presenting the facts
•and the reasoning thereon so cogently and logi-
cally that he seldom fails to win the verdict de-
sired. He is the solicitor for the Building and
Loan Association of Leighton, for Enterprise
Building and Loan Association, No. 2, for the
Lehighton Building and Loan Association and
the Lehighton Building and Loan Association,
No. 2. In 1903 he associated with him as an
assistant attorney Charles A. Hauk, and they have
established three offices, one at Weatherly and
one at Mauch Chunk, in addition to their home
office at Lehighton. His wise counsel and keen
business discernment have proven important
factors in the successful control of a number of
business enterprises of importance. He is the
secretary of the Lehighton Land Company, and
is attorney for the Chestnut Ridge Railroad. He
was also one of the prime movers in the organi-
zation of the Mauch Chunk, Lehighton and Slat-
ington Street Railroad Company, of which he has
since served as director. Their line is noted as
one of the most beautiful scenic roads in the
country. Mr. Snyder has also made judicious
investment in real estate and is the owner of
several large farms beside other valuable pro-
perty.

Mr. Snyder was married December 22, 1879.
to Miss Emma Hauk, a daughter of John and
Sarah Hauk, of Lehighton. They have two chil-
dren : Raymond J. and Edith M. The son. a
graduate of Lafayette College with the class of
1903, successfully and creditably passed the state
examination and is now pursuing the study of law
as a student in the office of Snvder & Hauk. The



daughter is a graduate of the National Park
Seminary of Washington, D. C. Mr. and Mrs.
Snyder hold membership in the First Presby-
terian Church of Stroudsburg, and are now iden-
tified through membership relations with the First
Presbyterian Church of Lehighton. Mr. Sny-
der was one of the organizers of the Clover Club,
a leading social organization of Lehighton, of
which he is now the president. He has fraternal
relations with the Odd Fellows, the Knights of
the Golden Eagle and the Knights of Malta,
while his political allegiance is given to the Dem-
ocratic party, and he is active in county and
state afliairs.

In 1900, accompanied by his wife and daugh-
ter, he made an extensive trip to Europe, visit-
ing various countries on the continent as well as
Great liritain, and viewing many scenes of modern
as well as of historic interest. The family home is
accounted the most beautiful residence in the
three counties embraced in the Lehigh valley.
It was the state building of Michigan at the Pan-
American Exposition in Bufifalo, New York, and
was purchased by j\Ir. Snyder, who had it re-
moved to its present location in 1903. It is both a
model and a marvel of architectural skill and me-
chanical genius, and in its adornments and em-
bellishments indicates the refined and cultured
taste of the family. At this point it would be
almost tautological to enter into any series of
statements showing the professor to be a man
of broad intelligence and genuine public spirit,
for these have been shadowed forth between the
lines of this review. Strong in his individuality,
he never lacks the courage of his convictions,
but there are, as dominating elements in this
individuality, a lively human sympathy and an
abiding charity which, as taken in connection with
the sterling integrity and honor of his character,
have naturally gained for him the respect and
confidence of men.

PAUL NIEHOFF, a well known and pros-
perous business man, conducting an extensive flor-
ist establishment on South First street, Lehigh-
ton, CarlDon county, Pennsylvania, is a man who
thoroughly understands his chosen calling, having



400



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



served a long apprenticeship to the trade in his
native country. Saxony, Germany, where he was
born in the year 1868. His parents are Gustavo
and Anna Niehoff, representatives of famihes
high in influence in Germany. His father occu-
pied a prominent station in hfe, having been tax
receiver for the German government, representing
that government when taxes and moneys were to
be received.

The schools of his native country afforded
Paul Niehoff a liberal preparation and training
for his active career, which was intended to be
devoted to the practice of medicine, but prior to
his matriculation in college his eyesight was dis-
covered to be defective, and his chosen line of
work was abandoned. He then turned his at-
tention to his present business, which is well
suited to his tastes and inclinations, and after
thoroughly acquiring a knowledge of all the de-
tails and particulars of this pleasant vocation he
embarked for the new country beyond the sea,
accompanied by his wife. They located in Weiss-
port, Pennsylvania, after residing one year in
Baltimore, Maryland, with but twenty-five cents
in capital to start with. Notning daunted, they
went to work, and by perseverance and industry
they have succeeded beyond their most sanguine
expectations. In 1897 he removed from Weiss-
port to Leighton, and purchased the ground on
which his own buildings are now erected, these
covering an area of several acres. His plant is
now worth ten thousand dollars, and is rapidly
increasing in value. He has fifteen thousand
feet under glass, and makes a specialty of carna-
tions and bedding plants, handling about seven
thousand carnation plants in the spring, besides
other plants in proportion, and his stock is in
demand in whate.er section he sends out repre-
sentatives. He produces the choicest flowers and
plants of all kinds known to florists in a northern
climate. Mr. Niehoff is a member of the Royal
Arcanum and the Germania Sangerfund of Le-
highton, his voice being well adapted to taking
the part of tenor. He has taken part in festivals
in New York, Philadelphia and elsewhere. He
takes an active interest in all that pertaihs to the
uplifting and development of the borough in



which he resides, and is a worthy and public-
spirited citizen of his adopted country.

Air. Niehoff' was united in marriage in Ger-
many, August 2"/, 1891, to Miss iMary Wille, a
native of Germany, and their children are: Mary,
P>ederick, Paul, Alargaret and William. The
family are members of the Lutheran church.

HENRY R. BITTNER, the popular pro-
prietor of the Bittner Hotel, situated in Weiss-
port, Carbon county, is one of Pennsylvania's
native sons, his birth having occurred in Slating-
ton in 1873. His paternal grandfather was Henry
Bittner, whose ancestors came from Holland to
the new world when civilization was first being
planted in American soil. Amandus Bittner, the
father of Henry R. Bittner, was for many
years a well known hotel proprietor, fol-
lowing the business for three decades, and
during much of this time he conducted
what was known as the New Bittner
House. He married Mi s Sophia Krause, and
thev became the parents of seven children, five
of whom are now living, as follows : Oscar,
Oliver, Alfred, X'ictor and Henry R.

In the place of his nativity Henry R. Bittner
was reared, and his boyhood days were largely
spent as a pupil in the common schools. He also
became familiar with the hotel business during
his youth, his father conducting the hotel at Slat-
ington. After he had attained his majority he
assisted actively in the same field of labor, and
became proprietor of the New Bittner Hotel of
Slatington, which he conducted with marked
success for five years. In lyoi he purchased his
present property in Weissport, and removed to
this borough. Having spent many years in the
business, he is well qualified by experience and
thorough understanding of the public demands
to cater to the wants and necessities of his patrons.
He has one of the best equipped hotels in this
portion of Pennsylvania, and can accommodate
about thirty-five guests with every comfort of
bed and board. Upon purchasing the hotel pro-
perty in 1901 he thoroughly remodeled and re-
novated it from cellar to garret, and its attract-
ive appearance and pleasant cuisine, accompanied



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



401



with the gentlemanly deportment of the host,
have won favor for the house and gained the
approval of its many guests.

In 1894 occurred the marriage of ^Ir. Bittner
and Miss Amanda L. Raster, of Aiauch Chunk,
Pennsylvania. Iney became the parents of four
children, of whom three are living : Richard H.,
Joseph, ]\Iary, and an infant daughter. ]Mr.
Bittner is a member of Lehighton Lodge,
No. 621, F. and A. AI., and also of
the Improved Order of Red JNlen, and his
social qualities and strong personal characteris-
tics are such as have won him the friendly regard
of his brethren of these fraternities.

DR. JACOB E. LONGACRE, physician and
surgeon of Weaversville, Pennsylvania, was born
in the town of Longacre, in Schuylkill county,
July 20, 1870.

His paternal grandfather, Jacob Longacre,
( I ) , was born at Black Rock, ^Montgomery coun-
ty, Pennsylvania, November 12, 1800. His fa-
ther, Jacob S. Longacre (2) was born in North
Penn, Schuylkill county. May 26, 1843. He pur-
sued his early education under private instruction
in his own home, and later attended Freeland
Seminary at Freeland, Pennsylvania, after which
he engaged in teaching school for two terms, and
then learned the tanner's trade. At the outbreak
of the Civil war he enlisted in the Sixtieth Regi-
ment Illinois Volunteers, and was with General
Sherman on the Alarch to the Sea which proved
that the strength of the Confederacy had been
drawn from the interior to defend the border. In
1866 he returned to Pennsylvania and was mar-
ried. The following year, in connection with his
brother-in-law, W. H. Kisler, he purchased the
old Kisler tannery, which they conducted to-
gether for many years. ^Ir. Longacre was a
justice of the peace for ten years and and also
filled the position of notary public. He was mar-
ried in 1866 to Lovina H., a daughter of David
Kisler, and they had eight children : Sallie, Mary
J., Hattie I., Edwin D., Minnie, Jacob E., William
S., and Alice L., who died in infancy.

Dr. Jacob E. Longacre pursued a college pre-
paratory course in the State Normal School at

26



Kutztown, after which he engaged in teaching
for three years, and during that time he had am-
ple opportunity to form an unbiassed opinion in
regard to a profession which he wished to make
his life work. His choice fell upon the practice
of medicine and surgery, and that he made no
mistake in his selection in sliown by the success
that has attended his eft'orts. He entered the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania and was graduated from
the medical department with the class of 1894.
Since that time he has practiced continuously in
Weaversville, where he now has a large patron-
age. He is a member of the Lehigh, Northamp-
ton County and State Medical Societies. So-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 71 of 92)