John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 73 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 73 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Bay Heinlein, born 1813; Henry Bay Hein-
lein, born 1814; Hannah Eliza Heinlein, born
1815, became the wife of William Raub. Of the
many descendants of these grandsons of Eliza-
beth Morgan living in the Lehigh Valley and the
regions roundabout, there are very few bearing
the name of Heinlein. Mrs. Morgan took great
pride in her grandsons and gave all of them an
advanced education. Three of these grandsons
emigrated in company with several of the families
of Hays from Lehigh county to Ohio, settling in
and around Fremont.

Mrs. Heinlein, the mother, married, the sec-
ond time, a JNIr. Shultz. She was buried to the
right of her mother, Mrs. [Morgan, and Han-
nah the other daughter, was buried on the left
side. Their remains were not disturbed when the
site of Easton's colonial burying grounds was
remodeled for the park surrounding the new
library.



ALBERT J. BAER came from ah old and
prominent family in Lehigh county, who traced
their ancestry back to September 30, 1743, when
the ship "Phoeni.\" landed at Philadelphia, Penn-
sylvania, and among the passengers were three
brothers — Christophel, Melchoir and Johannes
Baer — who emigrated from the southern portion
of Germany near the boundary line of Germany
and Switzerland. Christophel settled in White-
hall township, then in Northampton county ; Mel-
choir settled in ]\'Iacungie, Lehigh county, then
a portion of Northampton county, it having de-
rived its name from the Indians who were numer-
ous in that section of the state; Johannes (John
in English) settled in Germantown, but after ten
years' residence there removed to Weisenburg
township, Lehigh county.

Christophel Baer, the progenitor of the mem-
bers of the Baer family who reside in the Lehigh
valley, was the father of six children, among
whom were two sons by whom we can trace the
generations — Jonathan and Hon Adam (in En-
glish) John Adam. Jonathan remained in North
Whitehall township, Lehigh county, where his
grandfather Christophel Baer settled in close
proximity to Semmel's Tannery, near Union
Church. He was the owner of a fine farm where-
on he resided for the remainder of his life, the
property now being in the possession of Sarah
Semmel. His death was caused by drowning in
a deep spring (which is still on the farm) while
drawing a bucket of water ; it is supposed that he
was attacked with a severe dizziness to which he
was subject. He was survived by four sons and
one daughter — Solomon, Abraham, Jonas, John
and Susan (]\Irs. Peter Weida) of Allentown,
Pennsylvania. Hon Adam (John Adam) sup-
posed to have been an uncle 01 Jonathan Baer,
moved to Weisenburg, Lehigh county, and he is
the ancestor of the members of the Baer family
who reside in the eastern portion of Berks county
and the western portion of Lehigh county. After
several years residence in that township he dis-
posed of his farm and purchased the property
formerly known as the Kohler farm, located near
Rothrocksville, IMaxatawny township, Berks



4o8



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



county, where he resided until his death. Mel-
clioir Baer is the ancestor of George F. Baer,
the manager of the Philadelphia & Reading Rail-
road. When we read in history about the Pala-
tines, we are gaining some information of the
earlier members of the Baer family.

Jonas Baer, the third son of Jonathan Baer,
was born at the homestead in North Whitehall
township, Lehigh county, August 13, 1818. Upon
attaining young manhood he removed to Weidas-
ville, Lowhill township, and located on the old
Peter Seibert farm, which he purchased in 1840.
He cleared some woodland and also operated an
applejack distillery which was on the property.
At that time wheat sold for three dollars a bushel
and applejack at from eighteen to twenty-five
cents per gallon, and by his extensive opera-
tions along both these lines he accumulated suf-
ficient money to become the proprietor of three
farms adjoining each other — the Seibert, the An-
drew Knerr and the Daniel Clauss farms. He
operated his Seibert farm for twenty-seven years,
and then moved on the Clauss farm in Weidas-
ville, where he resided for about two years prior
to his death, which occurred on January 11, 1869.
He was married to Lydia Peters, of Washington
township, Lehigh county, and they were tne
parents of the following named chidlren : Phaon,
born April 28, 1839; Lewis, born October 16,
1841 ; and John, born ]May 3, 1850. The father
at his decease bequeathed each of his sons a farm.
and Phaon and Lewis still possess their inherit-
ance.

Lewis Baer, second son of Jonas and Lydia
Baer, has resided all his life on the farm where
he was born. He received the usual education
afforded by the common schools of the commun-
ity, and during the Civil war served under Cap^-
tain Charles Kech, of Allentown, Pennsylvania,
in Company I, Forty-first Regiment Pennsylvania
Volunteers, and was honorably discharged from
the service of the United States July 13, 1863.
He married Juli Ann Grenawald on December
18, 1864, and they were the parents of Albert J.
Baer.

Albert J. Baer, eldest son of Lewis and Juli
Ann Baer, was born September 25, 1865. He



received a good common school education, and
assisted with the work on the farm until he was
eighteen years of age. He left home in order to
learn the blacksmithing trade at the Levi Werley
coachmaker shops near Claussville, Lehigh
county, and when his apprenticeship expired in
the fall of 1886 he entered the horseshoeing shop
of David S. Wismcr, the "Yankee'' horseshoer
of Richlandtown, Bucks county, who was one of
the most noted shoers of the entire upper portion
of the county. After serving in this connection
for a period of time he was the recipient of two
more lucrative positions — one at Hellertown,
Northampton county, and the other from Mr.
Bachman of Blooming Glen, Bucks county. He
accepted the position with Mr. Owen Grube of
Hellertown, and subsequently located in Scran-
ton, Pennsylvania, where he secured employment
in the blacksmith department of the Scranton
Buggy and Wagon Company, located at the cor-
ner of Eighth and Swetland streets, Hyde Park
(Scranton). The company, appreciating his
faithful and conscientious labor, soon promoted
him to a cleaner and better position in their re-
positories. The repository work was filling or-
ders for completed jobs to be put together as
specified, according to grade of goods, style of
work and painting, to get them ready for the men
who boxed and crated them for shipment on
board of cars or otherwise. In the year 1888
typhoid fever was epidemic in the city, and Mr.
and JVIrs. Baer were among the many persons who
suffered from the disease. i\lr. Baer was at-
tacked thrice, and each time Dr. Charles Wesley
Treverton succeeded in checking it. Owing to
these distressing circumstances he determined to
leave the company and city, and accordingly he
returned to Lehigh county, and in 1889 estab-
lished a horseshoeing and general jobbing shop
at New Smithville, Weisenburg township. After
a seven years residence in that locality, during
which time he conducted a lucrative trade, a good
opening presented itself at Shoenersville, Lehigh
county, five miles east from Allentown, which
offered better facilities in every way for his line
of business. In addition to the successful man-
agement of a coach and wagon making shop and



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



409



a horseshoeing shop, Mr. Baer pursued a course
■of lessons on the anatomy of the foot and leg of
a horse, and passed a creditable examination
which was conducted by the instructors and ex-
aminers— T. J. Kean, M. D., V. I\L D., of De-
troit, ^Michigan ; Thomas H. Monahan, D. V. S.,
•of Providence, Rhode Island ; and W. A. Giffen,
V. S., D. V. S., of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
He also took lessons on cast steel, and how to
work it into tools of various snapes and kinds,
and successful dressing vmder the supervision of
Professor W. S. Casterlin, of Pittston, Pennsyl-
vania. In 1899, in Shoenersville, the first cold
tiresetting machine was put to work, and, al-
though nothing new to the large factories, it was
a mechanical wonder and attracted much atten-
tion from the public for miles around Shoeners-
ville. This was the first machine of its kind be-
tween Reading, Pennsylvania, and Paterson, New
Jersey. Mr. Baer also originated some very la-
bor-saving tools for blacksmiths, of which the
most noted is the "Baer Easy Hoof Parer for
Horseshoers." This tool trims off long over-
grown feet with ease, and has received a large
share of praise from shoers. The patent for this
invention was issued January 2, 1900, and among
the many useful articles he invented this was the
only one for which he received a patent. Like
his father, Mr. Baer is actively connected with the
Reformed church, and casts his vote with the
Democratic party. Socially, he is affiliated with
the order of the Golden Eagles, and the Junior
Order of American Mechanics, having filled all
the chairs of the latter organization.

Mr. Baer married, June 10, 1888, Ella J. Dei-
bert of Schnecksville, Lehigh county, daughter
of Solomon Deibert, and they are the parents of
two children : Minerva Cecilia, born May 9,
1893, now a student in the public school ; and
Florence Evelyn, born September 14, 1900.

JAMES D. KNOUSE, an esteemed and
highly respected resident of Allentown, Pennsyl-
vania, who for the past fifteen years has acted
■efficiently and' successfully as a member of the
Allentown Boiler Works, attending to the finan-
cial part of the business, enjoys an enviable rep-



utation as a thorough and reliable business man,
fitted both by nature and experience for the suc-
cessful management of the important enterprise
with which his name is connected. He was born
in Cetronia, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, a son
of Charles K. and Rebecca (Swartz) Knouse,
and grandson of Solomon and Elizabeth Keck
Knouse, and John and Elizabeth (Heller)
Swartz- His parents reared a family of four
children, all of whom attained years of maturity
and became useful members of society, namely :
Tilghman, who married Elizabeth Greenawald,
and their family consisted of two children,
Thomas and Harry. Frank, who married Clara
George, and three children were born of this
union — Alfred, Miriam and Elmira, deceased.
James D., mentioned at length hereinafter.
Charles W., who married Hannah Goranflo; no
issue.

James D. Knouse obtained an excellent liter-
ary education, having been a student in the public
and private schools of his native town, Freeland
Seminary, Ursinus College, and Allentown
Academy. He gained his first business experience
as clerk in the grocery business of Milton Rich-
ards, with whom he remained several years in
that capacit}', and later was appointed to the re-
sponsible position of manager. His ne.xt occu-
pation was as salesman for the firm of Bittncr &
Hunsicker Brothers, with whom he remained for
about ten years. He then engaged in the hard-
ware business with M. C. Ebbeck, under the style
of M. C. Ebbeck & Co., which relation continued
until 1888. In 1890 he entered into partnership
with Charles Collum, under the firm name of the
Allentown Boiler \\^orks, Mr. Knouse attending to
the financial affairs of the concern. Being indus-
trious and capable, he has naturally met with
success, and has gained a place among the rep-
resentative business men of the city. In addition
to this enterprise he is erecting at the present
time a number of houses in the city of Allentown.
He is a member of the Presbyterian church, a
Republican in politics, and is actively identified
with the Independent Order of Odd Fllows, and
the Knights of Pythias.

Mr. Knouse married Ella Marie Clader, eld-



4IO



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



est daughter of Owen and Mary A. (Meyers)
Clader, who were also the parents of another
daughter, Alice, who died at the age of twelve
years. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs.
Knouse : George Harrington and B. Mae Knouse.

George Harrington Knouse attended the pub-
lic schools, a private school conducted by Miss
Magruder, Muhlenberg College, and the Medico-
Chirurgical College. His intention in early life
was to become a member of the medical profes-
sion, but he subsequently abandoned this in order
to engage in a mercantile career. He was em-
ployed with his father until 1898, in which year
he engaged as salesman with a Philadelphia
house, remaining until 1901. He then returned
to Allentown, and shortly afterward left the city
to engage in other parts. A short time after his
return to his native city he returned to the Allen-
town Boiler Works, in which concern his father
is a partner, and he is now serving in the capacity
of head clerk. He is a Republican, and is an
honored member of the F. O. E. He enlisted in
Company B, Fourth Regiment National Guard
of Pennsylvania, and in July, 1903, was ap-
pointed regimental clerk on the staff of Colonel
C. T. O'Neil.

B- Mae Knouse acquired her early educational
advantages in the private school conducted under
the personal supervision of Miss Magruder, and
this was supplemented by a course at the Allen-
town College for Women, and the Moravian
Seminary, at Bethlehem, from which institution
she was graduated.

JOHN ]M. FOCHT, who since 1867 has re-
sided upon and engaged in the operation of his
farm in South Whitehall township, Lehigh
county, and also follows the millwright's trade,
belongs to a family that was established in Penn-
sylvania when this country was still numbered
among the colonial possessions of Great Britain.
His grandfather, George Focht, was born in
Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in 1778, and in 1834
removed to Lehigh county, where he worked at
common labor and also followed carpet-weaving
up to the time of his death, which occurred in
1855. He married Miss MoUie Hiddle, and they



became the parents of three sons and four daugh-
ters : George, Daniel, Amos, Annie, wife of
Henry Bachman ; Susan, wife of Jacob Nase ;
Mary, wife of Samuel Shaley; and Elizabeth,
wife of Henry Sage.

Daniel Focht was the father of John M. Focht
of this review, and was born in Bucks county,
Pennsylvania, in 1805. \Mien twenty-nine years
of age he removed to Lehigh county, where he
continued to make his home throughout his re-
maining days. In early life he learned the car-
penter's trade, which he followed in connection-
with farming for about thirty-two years, when
having acquired a competence through energy,
economy and careful management, he retired
from business life and removed to Allentown,
where his death occurred in 1886. He was a
very active, zealous and influential member of
the Lutheran church, and filled the offices of dea-
con and elder for many years. His study of the
political questions and issues of the day led to
his unfaltering support of the Democracy, and
his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and
ability, elected him to the office of county com-
missioner of Lehigh county, in which position he-
served from 1851 until 1854.

Daniel Focht was married to Miss Sophia
Hilderbidle, and unto them were born thirteen
children, of whom one died in infancy. The-
others are as follows : James ; Angelina, wife
of William Miller ; Willoughby ; Daniel H. ;
Amanda, wife of Charles Ludwick ; John ; Mil-
ton ; Thomas ; Hannah, deceased wife of David'
Sharrie; Ellen M., wife of Leonard Seafing; Al-
len H. and Morgan.

John M. Focht, born in South Whitehall
township, Lehigh county, upon his father's farm,
October 26, 1841, pursued his education in the
public schools, and at the age of eighteen years
began learning the millwright's trade under the
direction of William Sigfried, in whose employ
he remained as an apprentice and journeyman for
eight years. He then entered the employ of
Wolfe & Company, of Chambersburg, Pennsyl-
vania, continuing with that firm for twenty con-
secutive years, on the expiration of which period-
he began business as a millwright on his own ac-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



41 r



count. He also turned his attention to farm-
ing, and has since followed both pursuits. He
purchased the place upon which he now resides
in 1866, and took up his abode thereon in 1867,
and his unremitting diligence has transformed
this into a valuable and highly cultivated prop-
erty.

Like his father, Mr. Focht holds membership
in the Lutheran church, contributed generously
to its support, and does all in his power to pro-
mote its growth and extend its influence. He
has filled the office of deacon and also that of
elder. Mr. Focht wedded Miss Mary Ludwig,
a daughter of David Ludwig, and unto this mar-
riage nine chilren were born, of whom four died
in infancy or early youth. The others are as fol-
lows : Annie J., who was born September 12,
1868, and is the wife of Henry B. Farringer ;
Jeremiah, born September 28, 1871, married Miss
Annie Otto; Alice 'SI., who was born July 31,
1873, and is the wife of John Gilbert: John C,
born June 20, 1875, married Ella R. ^Miller; and
Estella L. S., born November 16, li



EDWIN A. KRUM, an enterprising and
prosperous farmer residing in Heidelberg town-
ship, Lehigh county, lives in a locality which has
been the ancestral home of the family through
several generations. John Krum. his great-
grandfather, came to Lehigh county at an early
period in its settlement and established his home
in Heidelberg township, where his descendants
have since been identified with agricultural pur-
suits. His son, John Krum, the grandfather of
Edwin A. Krum, attended the earlv schools of
the neighborhood, and the occupation to which he
was reared he made his life work. He married,
and upon his farm reared his family. One of his
children was David Y. Krum. who was born in
Heidelberg township in 1831 and died in 1897,
at the age of sixty-six years. When he had mas-
tered the branches of learning taught in the com-
mon schools he began learning the shoemaker's
trade, which he followed throughout his remain-
ing days, thus providing for the needs of his
family. He was well known in the community
and was influential in affairs of his neisfhborhood.



Several times he was solicited to accept public
office, but always declined, although he mani-
fested a public spirited interest in the improve-
ment and upbuilding of the community. His
vote was always cast for the men and measures
of the Republican party. He married Miss Sarah
Snyder, also a native of Heidelberg township,
who is now deceased. They became the parents
of three children — Jane, who died in childhood,
Edwin A. ; and one that died in infancy.

Edwin A., born on the old family homestead
in Heidelberg township, on the 24th of August,-
1862, was reared in the usual manner of farmer
lads, spending the w'inter months in attendance
at the common schools, while in the summer sea-
sons he assisted in the labors of field and meadow.
He has always engaged in agricultural pursuits,,
and is now accounted one of the successful farm-
ers of the community, his well tilled fields return-
ing to him a good income. He has voted with
the Republican party since attaining his majority,,
and has filled some local offices, serving as tax
collector while for six years he has filled the posi-
tion of school director. He and his family hold
membership in the Reformed church and regu-
larly attend its services.

Air. Krum was married in 1889 to Miss Lou-
isa Steigerwalt, a daughter of David Steigerwalt,
of Schuylkill township, and they now have one
son, David G. Krum, whose birth occurred in
1891.

JOHN H. LYNN, the genial and popular
proprietor of the Lynn Hotel, at North Coplay,
Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, is a descendant of
an old and honored family, whose ancestors set-
tled in Lynn township, Lehigh county, at an early
date in the history of the Lehigh Valley.

Peter Lynn (great-grandfather) was a native
of Northampton count)-, Pennsylvania, and
among the children born to him was a son, Daniel
Lynn. Daniel Lynn (grandfather) was born in
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, and in
due course of time was united in mar-
riage to Catherine Fell, who bore him
a number of children, among whom was
a son, John Lynn. John Lynn (father) was



412



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



also a native of Northampton county, Pennsyl-
vania, born in 1837. For over thirty-three years
he was in the employ of the Coplay Cement Com-
pany, serving in the capacity of foreman, and dur-
ing all this long period of time he was one of
the faithful and conscientious men on whom the
company could implicitly rely. He has always
been an active and energetic man, noted for his
integrity and honesty, and his life has been use-
ful if uneventful. He married Mary E. Minich,
who bore him twelve children, ten of whom are
living at the present time : Elizabeth C, Jane
S., Bella C, Mary E., Susan, Maggie B., Ellen
L., Annie, John H., and Thomas A. Seven of
their children were born in the town of Chapman,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, and five in
the town of North Coplay, Lehigh county, Penn-
sylvania.

John H. Lynn, eldest surviving son of John
and Mary E. Lynn, was born August 9, 1866.
He was reared in Whitehall township, and ac-
quired a practical education in the common
schools of the vicinity. He gained his first busi-
ness experience in the employ of the Coplay Ce-
ment Company, occupying various positions from
that of boy to skillful mechanic, and finally was
appointed foreman, succeeding his father and for
five years served in that important capacity. In
1896 he built the Lynn Hotel at North Coplay,
a handsome and commodious building equipped
with all modern improvements and containing
twenty-five finely furnished rooms. The house
can accommodate thirty guests without taxing it
to its utmost limit, and owing to the good man-
agement and excellent cuisine it has become one
of the best known hotels in that section of the
county, and receives its full share of the patron-
age of the traveling public. Mr. Lynn is a mem-
ber of No Surrender Council, No. 103, Junior
Order of Patriotic Sons of America, of Catasau-
qua, Pennsylvania.

In 1886 Mr. Lynn married Remitta P. Mil-
house, of Whitehall township, Lehigh county,
Pennsylvania. Five children were the issue of
this union, three of whom are living at the pres-
ent time: Eva B., Earl A., and John T. Lynn.

Thomas A. Lynn, youngest son of John and



Mary E. Lynn, was born at Chapman, Northamp-
ton county, Pennsylvania, in 1870. After com-
pleting a common school education he entered
the employ of the Coplay Cement Company, and
during all the years of his connection with that
enterprise he has performed his duties in a faith-
ful and conscientious manner, and has ever been
true to the best interests of his employers. He is
an active, public-spirited citizen, and an honored
member of the Whitehall Beneficial Society.

In 1896 he was united in marriage to Mary
Loch, who was born at Slatedale, Lehigh county,
Pennsylvania, in 1878. Their children are : Helen
F. A., Mabel V., ]\Iay L. J., and Bessie E. Lynn.

EDWIN W. TREXLER, deceased, during
a long and active career was recognized as one
of the most enterprising citizens of Allentown,
and was favorably known throughout the coun-
try for the signal benefits he conferred upon the
farming population through the large aid he gave
to the breeding and distribution of highly su-
perior breeds of cattle. He was a man of sterl-
ing personal character and was held in honor by
all who came in contact with him, in all the re-
lations of life.

Mr. Trexler was a descendant of a family
which was among the earliest settlers in eastern
Pennsylvania, coming from Germany shortly
after William Penn had laid the foundations of
his colony. Their descendents became numerous,
and that they were large landholders is attested
by the frequency with which the name appears
upon the documents of conveyance. Many of its
members attained prominence in various honor-
able walks of life. Their descendants are now to
be found scattered throughout the entire country,
but many of them still live in the region which
their ancestors first occupied two hundred years
ago. The present village of Trexlertowii derived
its name from the family.

Edwin W. Trexler was a son of the late Reu-
ben Trexler, and was born October 27, 1826, in
Upper Milford township. Lehigh county, Penn-
sylvania, on the farm which was originally pur-
chased by his grandfather, and which is now
owned bv his son, Edwin G. Trexler. Lentil



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 73 of 92)