John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 75 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 75 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tended the public schools of his native city, Phil-
adelphia, and in early life gained his first practi-
cal experience by working with his father in the
butcher business- Shortly afterward the family
removed to Allentown, and in 1891 John C. be-
came interested in the manufacture of ice, and
with several other gentlemen built an ice jilant
at Gordon street and Terminal Railroad, which
they operated for a number of years with sign?'
success. Subsequently, ^Ir. Schwartz entered
into a copartnership with Frank S. Ritter, under
the style of the Allentown Ice Company. They
deal extensively in ice and coal, and by their re-
liable methods and honorable transactions have
won for themselves an enviable reputation in the
commercial circles of the city. Their office is
located at No. 1006 Hamilton street, Allentown,
and in the delivery of their commodities a num-
ber of wagons is used, thus giving empkn-ment to
a number of men. Mr. Schwartz is a noted Ma-
son, affiliating with Barge Lodge, No. 333, the
various bodies of the Scottish Rite, and the An-
cient and Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic
Shrine. He belongs to Lodge No- 130, Order
of Elks, and to other social bodies including the
Livingston Club. He is a firm adherent of the
principles of Democracy.

JOSEPH R. C.\SSLER. Among the repre-
sentatives of industrial interests in Weatherly,
Pennsylvania, is numbered Joseph R. Cassler,
who is engaged in the manufacture of spools and
bobbins used for high grade silk. He is secre-
tary and treasurer of the company, and in this
connection contributes to the material ui)buil(l-
ing and prosjjeritx' of his community.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



419



Mr. Cassler is a native of Easton, Pennsyl-
vania, born on the 24th of December, i860. His
ancestral history can be traced back to an early
decade in the eighteenth century, for the Cass-
lers emigrated to America from Bohemia about
1732, and settled in the Dry Lands of Bethlehem.
They were among the early iMoravian pioneers
of that region, and their descendants have since
been alert and enterprising citizens of the locality,
tilling various positions of trust and respon-
sibility, and occupying prominent positions in
business circles and professional walks of life.
William Cassler, the grandfather, was born in
Easton in 1800. His son, Charles Cassler, was
a native of Northampton county, Pennsylvania,
and became agent for the Lehigh \'allev Rail-
road Company, occupying that position from 1864
until his death in 1899. He was also agent for
the American Express Company, filling both po-
sitions. In 1867 he established himself in the
coal business, in which he also continued up to
the time of his death. He wedded J\liss JJary
Keiper, of Easton, Pennsylvania, and their fam-
ily numbered four children : Frank, Emma,
Clara and Joseph R.

Joseph R. Cassler was but four years of age
when in November, 1864, his parents removed
from Easton to Weatherly, Pennsylvania, where
he was reared and educated, and where he has
since resided. He became his father's successor
m business, and in the position of station agent
for the Lehigh \'alley Railroad Company. He
retired from that office in 1900, but has continu-
ously been agent for the American Express Com-
pany, and has also remained as his father's suc-
cessor in the coal trade. He engages in dealing
and transporting coal, having an extensive yard
near his spool factory. His most important busi-
ness interest, however, is the manufacture of
spools and bobbins, in which he is engaged as
secretarv and treasurer of the operating company.
This is an important enterprise, and the ])lant
situated at Weatherly is forty by one hundred
and twenty feet and two stories in height. It was
established in 1896, and the business is now in
the most prosperous condition, employing from
thirty to sixty hands, and having a large output



which annually brings to the stockholders an ex-
cellent income on the capital invested. 2\ir. Cass-
ler is recognized as one of the substantial men of
the borough of Weatherly, and in the control of
his business affairs displays keen discernment,
correctness of judgment and unwearied industry.
In 1884 Joseph R. Cassler was married to
Miss 3Jary I\I. Lauderburn, a daughter of Alex-
ander J. Lauderburn, of Weatherly. They be-
came the parents of five children, three of whom
are living, Charles, jMargaret and ^lary. In 1902
^Ir. Cassler was again married, his second union
being with Miss IMary A. Rosenstock, of Weath-
erly and they have one son, Joseph R. Cassler, Jr.

JA^IES KRUM, a contractor in mason
work, whose e.xtensive business covers a large
territory in the Lehigh \'alley within the bounds
cf Carbon county, is a native of that county, hav-
ing been born in Franklin township on June 30,
1862. The Krum family is of German descent
and immigrated to this country previous to the
Revolutionary war.

Christian Krum (grandfather) was born in
Heidleberg township, Pennsylvania, in 1770, and
subsequently his parents removed to Tennessee,
but after a short residence in that state returned
to Pennsylvania. He served the usual appren-
ticeship at the trade of mason, and by close ap-
plication and careful attention to all the details
he became an expert mechanic. He was united
in marriage to Catherine Frederick, a native of
Germany, who crossed the Atlantic ocean with her
parents when but two years of age, in 1801. Their
family consisted of nine children, as follows : John,
Lydia. Christian, Grace, Peter, Thomas, Daniel,
Catherine and Selinda, and the sole survivors of
the family at the present time (1904) are Daniel
and Catherine. Mr. Krum and his family resided
in Lehigh county for a number of years, but in
1816 removed to Carbon county.

Peter Krum (father) was bcrn in Lehigh
county, Pennsylvania, in 18 14, and died in Car-
bon county in 1888. He was a mason by trade,
and was recognized among the members of that
line of work as a master mechanic- He became
an e.xtensive land owner, having in his posses-



420



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



sion at one time more than three hundred acres
of valuable land. He was a consistent member
of the Evangelical church, and a strong sup-
porter of the principles advocated by the Repub-
lican party. About the year 1841, Rlr. Krum was
married to Selinda Driesbach, of Franklin town-
ship, and their children were: Sarah, Joseph,
Eliza, Angeline, William, deceased ; Alice,
Emma, James, Francis, deceased ; and George,
deceased.

James Krum was reared in his native town-
ship and received a thorough English education
in the common schools adjacent to his home.
Under his "father's watchful supervision he
learned the trade of mason, and like his father
and grandfather is a practical business man and a
good workman. His business consists chiefly
of the building of foundations, houses and
bridges, and he ' has recently erected two fine
houses in East Weissport, beautiful and modern
in construction and convenience, in one of which
he now resides. His political affiliations are with
the Republican party, in the ranks of which he is
an active worker and favorite, and holds member-
ship in the Improved Order of Red Men, Royal
Arcanum and the Mutual Benefit Life Insurance
Company.

Mr. Krum was united in marriage, May 21,
1896, to Addie Miller, daughter of Henry and
Amanda Miller, and they are the parents of one
son, Charles P., burn June 7, 1P97.

GEORGE W. KEEFER, a contractor for the
American Cement Company at Coplay, Pennsyl-
vania, was born in North Whitehall township,
Lehigh county, September 7, 1866, and is the only
living son of Joseph and Mary (Kleckner) Ree-
fer. The family is of German lineage and was
established in Pennsylvania at an early epoch in
the history of the state. His paternal grandfa-
ther, Elias Keefer, a native of Northampton
county, Pennsylvania, served as a soldier in the
war of i8t2. He married Lydia Solt, and their
children were Elizabeth, George, John, Joseph,
Samuel and William. By a former marriage
Elias Keefer had one daughter, Catherine.

Joseph Keefer, father of George W^ Keefer.



was born in Allen township, Northampton county,.
Pennsylvania, April 9, 1844, and from an early
age he was dependent upon his own resources,
so that the success he achieved was most credit-
able, being due entirely to his own labors and
well directed energies. In his early youth he was
employed in various ways, and later began learn-
ing the blacksmith's trade, but before the com-
pletion of his term of apprenticeship he enlisted
as a private in the Sixteenth Regiment Pennsyl-
vania Cavalry. He participated in a number of
important engagements, and also did service as
a blacksmith, and after receiving an honorable
discharge in 1865 he resumed work in the smithy.
In 1 87 1 he became an employe in the Thomas
Iron Company at Hokendauqua, and afterward
successfully followed mining for several years.
He invested his means in farming property, be-
coming the owner of a farm in 1880, and another
in 1900. When he abandoned mining he began
quarrying stone under contract for the various
cement plants of this locality, and continued in
that business until his death, April 13, 1903. He
was also a large stockholder and director in the
Cement National Bank at Siegfrieds, and his
business career was equally honorable and suc-
cessful. He belonged to the Reformed church of
Egypt, Pennsylvania, which he served as elder,
and to the support of which he made liberal con-
tributions. He was also identified with the Grand
Army Post at Catasauqua and the Veteran
League of Allentown.

Joseph Keefer was married in 1866 to ]Miss
Mary Kleckner, a daughter of William and Cla-
rissa Kleckner, of Lehigh county, Pennsylvania,
and they had six children : George W., born Sep-
tember 7, 1866, Sarah A., born August 20, 1868,
and ^lary A., born August 5, 1873, all yet living,
while John H., Joseph E. and Samuel L. are de-
ceased. They also adopted a son Alfred, who was.
born August 3, 1882. The daughter, Sarah, is
the wife of Rev. A. J. Breinig, a minister of the
Lutheran church, and they had six children, of
whom three are living: Benjamin E., Clarissa
A. and ]\rargaret A. Mary A. became the wife
of David Lindaman and they had two children,
both now deceased.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



421



George W. Keefer spent the days of his boy-
hood and youth upon his father's farm, and was
trained to habits of industry, economy and integ-
rity. His early education acquired in the com-
mon schools at Coplay was supplemented by study
in 2\Iuhlenberg College and in Blackman's Busi-
ness College at Allentown, Pennsylvania, and
when he put aside his text books he entered busi-
ness life under the direction of his father, who
was a contractor for the American Cement Com-
pany. In 1897 he was admitted to a partnership
by his father, and the business relation was main-
tained until the death of ;\Ir. Keefer, Sr., in 1903.
The son, George \\'. Keefer, has since continued
as a contractor for the American Cement Com-
pany, and does an extensive business in quarrying
stone for that corporation. He has been very
successful in his labors, and is now one of the
most prosperous residents of Coplay.

On the 8th of February, 1886, George W.
Keefer was married to Miss Ida ]M. Wotring, who
was born in North \\'hitehall township, Lehigh
county, June 16, 1867. ]\Ir. and ]\Irs. Keefer
became the parents of seven children, but they
lost two. Those still living are Florence T., born
November 24, 1886: Joseph F., born September
27, 1889; Alice C, born August 28, 1893; Wil-
liam E., born November 12, 1896; and Bessie
M., born June 17, 1900. The family home is the
finest residence in Coplay, .and is noted for its
gracious and warm-hearted hospitality. Mr. Kee-
fer is a member of the Patriotic Order of the
Sons of America, of the Improved Order of Red
j\Ien, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, and he and his wife hold membership in
the Reformed church of Egypt, in which he is
now filling the position of treasurer.

GRIFFITH P. ALBRIGHT, deceased, who
for many years was engaged in industrial and
agricultural pursuits in Allentown and Lehigh
county, was the third of the eight children of
Phaon and Lucinda (Guth) Albright. John Al-
bright, the founder of the family in Montgom-
ery county, Pennsylvania, had three children, —
John, Susan and i\Iary. Of these John Albright,
the grandfather of Griffith P. Albright, married



Susanna Eisenhard, and they had eight children,
the eldest of whom was Phaon Albright. Sam-
uel, the second, married Kate Mosser and had si>
children. Moses married Eliza Schall. John
married Ellen Dotterer and had six children.
Stephen married Maria Steckle and had two
children, Amanda and Elizabeth, the former mar-
ried Alfred Snyder and has six children : Edwin,
married Greta Reinsmith and has one child ;
Carrie, the wife of ]\Ir. Home ; Cora, deceased ;
Mabel, Robert and ]\Iildred. Elizabeth Steckle
became the wife of Lewis Pebble and her children
are Raymond Pebble, who married, first, Flossie
Trexler, and second, Stella Geinheimer; Minnie
and Warren. Mary was the next member of the
family of John Albright. Julia Anne is the wife
of George Boyer, and has one child. Theresa is
the wife of Daniel Schmoyer and has six chil-
dren.

Phaon Albright, the eldest son of John Al-
bright married Lucinda Guth and had eight chil-
dren : Joseph married Miss Everhard and had one
■ child ; Ellen is the wife of John P. Dillinger and
has four children ; ^Myra married Samuel A.
Butz and has two children ; Jennie married Wins-
low Wood and has two children ; George Oscar
married Sallie I. Brobst ; and Lewis is deceased.

Griffith P. Albright, son of Phaon and Lu-
cinda Albright, was educated in the public
schools. He afterward learned the machinist's
trade and subsequently became an active factor
in the conduct of his father's business, the manu-
facture of iron piping. He acted as superin-
tendent of the foundry for some time, and was
then given an interest in the business. On the
death of the father he and his brother George
inherited a farm in Lower Saucon township, and
Griffith purchased his brother's interest and began
farming, continuing in that vocation up to the
time of his death. In 1887, however, he retired
from the foundry. He had one hundred and
twenty acres of la'^id devoted to general farming,
and his property returned to him a good income
in reward for the care and supervision he be-
stowed upon it. In the meantime he purchased
a home on South Seventh street, in which he
resided until his death, and which is still occupied



422



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



by his widow. His political support was given
the Democratic party, and he and his family
were members of the Lutheran church.

Mr. Albright married Hannah Cleaver, a
daughter of Jacob and Sarah (Hillyard) Clea-
ver. Her paternal grandparents were John and
Hannah (Fochtj Cleaver. Her great-grandfa-
ther in the maternal line was Abram Hillyard,
and her grandparents were John and Sally Ann
(Reihmer) Hillyard, in whose family were ten
children. Sabina ( I ) married David Ettleman
and they had three children : Rose, who is the
wife of Mr. Bender and has two children, Asher
and Cora ; Emma, who is the wife of Tilghman
Odenwilder and has four children, two sons and
two daughters ; and Alfred. Kate ( 2) is the wife
of Hiram Delf, and has one daughter, Celinda,
wife of James Armstrong and the mother of one
child, Noami. Sarah (3) married Jacob Clea-
ver. Matilda (4) married Eouenas Knerr and
has two children, Mary and Walter. Louisa {5)
married Daniel Smith and had six children — Os-
car, Sarah, jMaggie, Edward, John and Annie.
Ella (6) married George Engleman and has three
children, Carrie, Mamie and Samuel. Emma

(7) married William Laybold and has three chil-
dren — Lizzie, Charles and Robert. \MlIiani

(8) married Emma Snietzcr and has five chil-
dren — Robert, Harry, Jennie, Mamie and Eva.
Reuben (9) married Emma Fink and has two
children, Alice and Alfred. Susan (10) married
Thomas Snyder and has three children, Ixichard,
Har.-y and William.

Jacob and Sarah ( Hillyard ) Cleaver were the
parents of three children : Hannah, now Mrs.
Albright; Kilburn, who married Kate Martz, and
has three children, Helen, Catherine and Alarion ;
and Jacob, who married Emma Schrirer and has
six children — Floyd, Raymond, Edward, Susan,
Earl and Harold.

The children of Mr. and Mrs. Griffith P.
Albright are Frank, Sally, Lucy, John and Jo-
seph Albright.

WILLIAM G. GROSSCUP, who is now re-
tired from active business pursuits and resides
in a pretty and comfortable home in Germans-



ville, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, is a great-
grandson of Paul Grosscup, who was a member
of the constitutional convention which met in
Philadelphia on November 24, 1789, and closed
February 5, 1790. The other delegates were Jo-
seph Heister, Christian Laur, Balzer Gehr,
and Abraham Lincoln, who was the grandfather
of President Lincoln. Abraham Grosscup, son
of Paul Grosscup, accompanied his father to
Perks county, I'ennsylvania, and they were
among the early settlers of that section of the
state. Abraham Grosscup attended the common
schools adjacent to his home, and then devoted
his attention to agricultural pursuits which he
followed throughout his active career. He was
married, and among his children was a son,
Charles Grosscup, father of William G. Gross-
cup, who was born on the old homestead in Berks
county, Pennsylvania, in 1816 and died in 1889.
At an early age he moved to Heidelberg town-
ship, Lehigh county, where he received the edu-
cational advantages which were obtainable in
those days, and then took up tailoring and aft-
erwards farming as a means of livelihood. He
was well and favorably known throughout the
county, was a Republican in politics, and was the
incumbent of a number of township offices.
Charles Grosscup and his wife Maria (George)
Grosscup, a native of Lehigh county, Pennsyl-
vania, now deceased,, were the parents of the fol-
lowing named children : Caroline, Owen, Joseph,
Charles, Matilda and William G. Grosscup.

William G. Grosscup was born in Heidelberg-
township, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, Novem-
ber 17, 1838. He acquired a liberal English
education in the common schools of the township,
the schools at Mifllinburg, the Millersvillc State
Normal School and the Pittsburg Business Col-
lege. He subsequently returned to his home,
and his first business experience was gained in
the capacity of clerk in a store in his native town-
ship. During the period he was thus employed
he gained a thorough knowledge of the tlctails
of business, and being thus equipped he estab-
lished a general mercantile business which he
conducted for twenty-five years in connection
with the management of a highh- cultivated and



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



423



productive farm. Several \ears ago he retired
from active pursuits, and is now enjoying a well
earned rest from his labors. For the past nine
years he has held the office of justice of the peace,
discharging tie duties of the same in a highly
creditable manner, and throughout his entire ca-
reer he has proved himself a worthy and reliable
citizen of his native State. At the commencement
of the Civil war he enlisted in Company I, One
Hundred and Seventy-sixth Regiment Pennsyl-
vania A'olunteers, and was assigned to guard
duty at several important forts. He was dis-
charged from the service of the United States
government in August. 1863, having served from
November 8, 1862. He attends the Reformed
church of hi? township, and has served as treas-
urer for the Heidelberg Reform and Lutheran
congregations for several years ; he is a Republi-
can in politics, and a member of the Masonic
order and the Grand Army of the Republic, in
which organizations he takes a great interest.

'Sir. Grosscup was united in marriage to ]\Iiss
May A. Seiberling, a daughter of Joshua Seiber-
ling, a prosperous farmer and marchant of Weis-
enberg township, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania,
January, 23, 1866. No cliildren have been born
of this marriage.

A^IOS D. SIEGFRIED, a farmer of Han-
over township, Northampton county, was born
in Moore township of this county, December 24,
1843. His parents were Jacob and Elizabeth
(Petty) Siegfried, and the former was born near
Bath, Pennsylvania, in 1792, a fact which in-
dicates that the family has long been represented
in this portion of the state.

Amos D. Siegfried was a student in the public
schools in his boyhood days, and entered upon his
business career as an apprentice at the coach-
maker's trade in Bath, Pennsylvania. His term
of service covered three years, after which he
worked as a journeyman in Bethlehem, Pennsyl-
vania, and in the west. He followed that busi-
ness for about twelve years, and then became
connected with merchandising interests, conduct-
ing a furniture and undertaking establishment for
eleven vears at Bath. He afterward opened a



summer hotel at Upper Lehigh, which he con-
ducted for four years. On the expiration of that
period he moved upon the old William Dech
homestead in Hanover township, Northampton
county, and was there engaged in farming for two
years, after which he removed to Catasauqua,
where he followed carpentering. Later he con-
ducted the Bath Hotel for nearlv four years, and
was then again connected with building interests
for a year in Allentown, Pennsylvania. In 1898
he returned to the farm, and is to-day the owner
of one of the most beautiful and well developed
farming properties in Hanover township, North-
ampton county, its extensive improvements and
neat appearance indicating the supervision of a
painstaking and progressive owner. He exercises
his right of franchise in support of the men and
measures of the Republican party, and his relig-
ious affiliations are with the Lutheran church.

^Ir. Siegfried was married in 1869, to
]\Iiss Christiana J\I. Dech, who was born on the
old home place, where she now lives, January 9,
1848, a daughter of ^^'illiam and Eliza M. (Hel-
ler) Dech. Her father was born November 19,
1817, and was a son of Jacob and ^lary ^M.
( Oberly) Dech. ^Mr. and Mrs. Siegfried are
the parents of two children : Harry Dech, born
September 24, 1869; and Stella Wilma, born No-
vember 17, 1 87 1.

THO.AIAS M. KLEPPINGER, .'Station agent
at Germansville, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania,
is a man of noble character and sterling worth, a
thorough business man, and the success which
has attended the various enterprises in which he
has engaged has been directly due to industry,
perseverance, promptness and thrift. He was
born on the ancestral estate in Lehigh township,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, .September
I, 1859.

Lewis Kleppinger, grandfather of Thomas M.
Kleppinger, was a native of Northampton county,
Pennsylvania. Throughout his active career he
resided on and operated a farm, which he culti-
vated to a high state of perfection. Old records
which have been seen by his grandson, Thomas
M. Kleppinger, show that he was possessed of



424



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



some education. He married, and among the
children born to him was a son, David Klep-
pinger (father), whose birth also occured on the
old homestead in Lehigh township, Northampton
county, in the year 1823. He received an En-
gHsh education in a school in Belvidere, New
Jersey, there being no common schools in Penn-
sylvania at that time. He was united in marriage
to Lavina Kuntz, a daughter of Joseph Kuntz,
and their family consisted of nine children — Jo-
seph, James, Jeremiah, George, Louisa, Annie,
Sarah, Adina, and Thomas M. Kleppinger.

Thomas? ]M. Kleppinger obtained his early
education in the common schools adjacent to his
home, and pursued advanced studies at the Kutz-
town Normal School, where he was thoroughly
qualitied for the position of teacher, which he ac-
cepted in 1878, and which he pursued successfully
for a time. He then turned his attention to farm-
ing, and after following this line of work for a
short period he took up his residence in Heidel-
berg township, Lehigh county, where he accepted
a position as station agent at Germansville, which
he has filled in a creditable and efficient manner.
He "is a stanch adherent of the principles of De-
mocracy, and since attaining his majority has
given his loval support to the measures and can-
didates of that party. He is a member of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Knights of



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 75 of 92)