John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 78 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 78 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


members of the press who have so courteously
recorded our proceedings, and also to the ladies
who so kindly sang for our entertainment ; and,
indeed, to all who have contributed so generously
to the pleasure of our visit-
Signed : M. F. Hancock,
M. B. L. LiEPER,
R. Y. Robinson.

■ GEORGE W. MACKEY, deceased, who was
a prominent member of the Northampton county
bar, was a grandson of Joseph Mackey, a native
of Schuyler county, New York, who moved after
his marriage to Susquehanna county in the same
state, where he engaged extensively in farming-
He took an active part in local afTairs and was
elected by his neighbors to several township
offices. Politically he was a Whig. He and his
wife were members of the Baptist church. He
married Esther Sammis, and their children were :
David, mentioned at length hereinafter ; Zopher ;
and a daughter who became the wife of William
J. Bolton. The latter went to California by the
overland route, making the entire journey on
muleback. Falling ill he was abandoned by his
companions, who some time after leaving him
were captured by the Indians. Mr. Bolton re-
covered and was the only one of the company to
reach California. ]\Ir. Mackey, the father, died
in 1850 and is buried in Clifford township, Sus-
quehanna county. He left behind him the mem-
ory of a good and useful man.

David Mackey, son of Joseph and Esther
(Sammis) Mackey, was born in 1819 in
Schuyler county. New York, and was all his life
engaged in the labors of an energetic and practi-
cal farmer. Philanthropy was one of his most
salient characteristics, and he was always an un-
tiring worker in the cause of humanity. He was
a strong abolitionist, becoming identified with
the movement long before the organization of
the Republican party, of which he was an ardent



436



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



supporter, taking a prominent part in its coun-
cils. The cause of temperance found in him a
warm advocate and one who was never weary in
working in its behalf. He also took a deep
interest in educational matters and in everything
which contributed to the advancement of the
community at large. He was a member of the
Baptist church, in which he served as deacon
from the age of fifteen until his death — a most
remarkable record. He married Miranda,
daughter of Nathan Griggs, of Connecticut. They
were the parents of fourteen children, twelve of
whom grew to maturity, and nine of whom are
now living, viz. : George W., mentioned at length
hereinafter; M. C, who is a physician in W'av-
erly, Pennsylvania ; Charles O., who is a physi-
cian in Montrose, Pennsylvania ; Lizzie E. ; Lillie
M. and Lovina M. (twins), who reside in Scran-
ton, Pennsylvania ; Jennie A., who is the wife of
William C. Tawer, of Cortland, New York ; Ada
M., who married William Jones, of North Hec-
tor, New York ; and Anna Wilson, who is also a
resident of the last-named place. The death of
Mr. Mackey, the father of this family, while an
irreparable loss to his family and friends, was
mourned by the whole community as that of one
whose place as a friend of humanity could not
easily be filled.

George W. Mackey, son of David and Mir-
anda (Griggs) Mackey, was born October 15,
1836, in Clifford township, Susquehanna county.
New York. After receiving a common school ed-
ucation he took a course of study at the State
Normal School and subsequently graduated from
Hartford University. He then returned home
and spent some years teaching school in the win-
ter, and during the summer acting as the assistant
of his father in the labors of the farm. Feeling
a decided inclination for the legal profession, he
went in 1873 to Great Bend, Pennsylvania, and
there entered the ofifice of the Hon. S. B. Chase.
After three years close application to the study
of law he was admitted in 1876 to the Susque-
hanna county bar. Later in the same year he
moved to Bangor, where he was admitted to the
Northampton county bar, and where he resided
up to the time of his death- Here in the course of



years he built up for himself an enviable reputa-
tion, being widel}' known as a man of excellent
judicial ability, sound judgment and sterhng in-
tegrity of character.

Incessant and engrossing as were the demands
of Mr. Mackey's profession and unwearied as
was his devotion to it, he found time to pay some
attention to public affairs, and was, in fact, one
of the leading and active builders of the borough
of Bangor. The extent of his labors as a citizen
may be inferred from the number of positions of
trust and responsibility which he was called upon
to fill. He was attorney for the borough of
Bangor for seventeen years, during which time
he compiled the "Borough Ordinances'' of 306
pages. For twenty years he served as a member
of the board of directors of the Bangor and Port-
land Railroad Company, in which he also held the
offices of attorney and secretary. He was for
a few years a stockholder and also secretary of
the Bangor Union Slate Company, subsequently
becoming its president, an office which he held for
five years. He was a stockholder, director and
president of the Bangor Superior Slate Com-
pany, and later held the office of president of the
Bangor Slate Company. He was a stockholder
and a director in the First National Bank of Pen
Argyl, for which he also served as solicitor.
During the construction of the Pennsylvania,
Poughkcepsie & Boston Railroad he served as
attorney for the company, and helped to organize
the State Belt Electric Street Railway, of which
he was one of the directors and for which he
served as solicitor. In addition to these multi-
plied cares and responsibilities, a few of which it
would seem would be sufficent to employ the time
and energies of any one man, Mr. Mackey was
active in benevolent and religious labors. He was
an ardent worker in the temperance cause and a
staunch supporter of the Baptist church, of which
he was a member. He gave much valuable time
to the Sunday school, of which he was at one
period of his life, the able superintendent- He
was foremost in every good work.

Mr. Mackey married. May 25, 1864, Isadore
C. daughter of Daniel and Theodosia McCullum,
and they were the |iarents nf two children : Harry



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



437



A., who was born in 1869; and Grace L., who
was born in 1871, and is now deceased. The son,
Harry A., graduated from the Scranton high
school in 1884. In 1886 he was a graduate of
Keystone Academy, where he took the gold medal
for the best scholarship in Latin. In 1890 he grad-
uated from Lafayette College, and in 1893 from
the L^niversity of Pennsylvania. He took a post-
graduate course at the latter institution in 1894,
in which year he was admitted to the Philadel-
phia county bar. He is now an attorney in the
city of Philadelphia.

Mrs. Mackey, who was born August 29, 18 — ,
in Bridgewater township, Susquehanna county.
New York, was a woman of great refinement and
intelligence, and liberal culture- The produc-
tions of her pen indicated talent of no common
order. Like her husband she was active in all
good works, and was especially devoted to the
interests of the Woman's Christian Temperance
Union, of which she was an earnest and indefati-
gable member. The loveliness of her character
was such as to cause her to be universally beloved.
Her death, which occurred April 8, 1898, was to
her family a bereavement not to be described, and
to her host of friends a loss scarcelv to be
estimated.

The death of ^Ir. Mackey, which was ex-
tremely sudden, occurred at his home, October 6,
1903. The sense of deep and widespread bereave-
ment which followed the announcement of the
sad event was such as could not fail to be caused
by the death of one who, in all the relations of
life, had set so admirable an example and been so
universally loved and respected. Mr. Mackey
is survived not only by his son Harry A., men-
tioned above, but also by two sisters residing in
Scranton, and two brothers who are practicing
physicians in Lackawanna and Susquehanna
counties- Among the many good works in which
Mr. Mackey 's life was so fruitful one of those by
which he will be best known to posterity was the
aid which he rendered in the hour of need to
the church of which he was a member, going
nobly to its rescue when the congregation had
become involved in financial difficulties. At that
time the congregation became incorporated as the



Mackey Memorial Baptist church, a title which
it has since borne and by which it will ever con-
tinue to be known.

ST. JOSEPH'S GERMAN CATHOLIC
CHURCH. St. Joseph's German Catholic par-
ish at East Mauch Chunk, Carbon county, Penn-
sylvania, was founded in 1871. At first the spir-
itual wants of the few Catholics residing there
were provided for by the Rev. G. Frende, of Le-
high ton, Pennsylvania. In 1874, the number of
German Catholics having increased through the
zealous efforts of Rev. William Heinen, V. P.,
the parish residence was changed from Lehighton
to East Mauch Chunk- From here Rev. William
Heinen and his assistants attended to the neigh-
boring missions — Lehighton, Berlinsville, Slat-
mgton, Parryville, etc. As Vicar Forane he has
ever been considerate for the needs of foreigners,
aiding them in their efforts to obtain priests and
churches. The present church in East J\Iauch
Chunk is one of the finest edifices in the Lehigh
Valley dedicated to divine worship.

In 1874 Rev. William Heinen -established a
school which has ever since been successfully con-
ducted by the Sisters of Christian Charity. This
order, founded by Rev. Mother Paulina, of
Mallinckrodt, sister of the famous leader of the
Center Party, Hermann of Alallinckrodt — highly
esteemed in Europe on account of the ability of
its members, was exiled during the persecuticn
of Bismarck (Kulturkampf) in 1874, and has
since then developed flourishing provinces in both
North and South America.

WILLIAM A. SEIBERT, iM. D., of Easton,
widely known throughout Pennsylvania as an ac-
complished practitioner of medicine, and as one
of the foremost and most capable exponents of
homeopathy, is a representative of a ver}- large
family whose members are to be found in many
of the states of the American union. The ances-
tral stock originated in South Prussia, and the
first of the name to emigrate to this country was
Nicholas, born in 1716, and who came in 1738,
when twenty-two years of age. His descendants
were so numerous (there having been more than



438



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



one hundred named Jacob, John, George, etc.),
that ancestral Hnes are exceedingly difficult to
trace.

Nicholas the emigrant was probably the
grandsire of Nicholas, who lived in Bucks
county, and was probably born there, and who
married Maria Rohrbach. John Seibert was a
son of Nicholas, last named, and was grand-
father of Dr. William A. Seibert. John Seibert
was born in Upper Milford, Lehigh county,
Pennsylvania, in 1796, and died in 1854. He was
a most industrious man, cultivating a farm and
operating a linseed mill and a factory for weav-
ing and making coverlets. He was a devout
Lutheran. He married Elizabeth Housman, who
was born in Lowhill in iSot, and died in 1872,
surviving her husband eig^hteen years- They
were the parents of four children: i. Peter, born
in 1 82 1, who resides in Allentown ; 2. Lavina,
who became the wife of David Kistler, and lived
and died in Easton ; 3. Owen ; 4. John.

Owen, son of John and Elizabeth (Housman)
Seibert, was born in Lowhill township, Lehigh
county, Pennsylvania, April 19, 1828. He was
reared upon the parental farm and was educated
in the common schools. For some years he fol-
lowed the same agricultural and manufacturing
pursuits as did his father before him. and at the
place of his birth. After his marriage he re-
moved to Easton, where as a merchant and man-
ufacturer he was successfully engaged until
1884. He is now living there in pleasant retire-
ment, in full enjo^'ment of all his powers, and sur-
rounded by his children and children's children.
He is a man who has borne an unblemished char-
acter his life through. In religion he is a Lu-
theran and in politics a Republican, He mar-
ried Matilda Miller, who was born in Lynn, Le-
high county, Pennsylvania, a daughter of George
and Magdeline (Ettingcr) Miller- Her father
was born in 1798 and died in 1865, and her
mother was born in 1804 and died in) 1874.
George Miller was a son of Peter Miller, who
was lir)rn in T772 and died in 1855, and a grand-
son of Christian Miller, who was born in 1706
and died in 1785. The children of George and
Magdeline Miller were Alfred. Marv fBittner),



Lucy (Kistler), Polly (Krause), Joseph, Reuben,
Peter, William, and Matilda, the last named of
whom became the wife of Owen Seibert.

To Owen and Matilda (Miller) Seibert were
born seven children, of whom the two first died
in infancy. Those who came to maturity were :
3. Dr. William A. Seibert, to be further men-
tioned ; 4. Cena M., who became the wife of
Michael D. Kistler, and lived and died in Mot-
ganton, North Carolina ; 5. George P. Seibert,
who has succeeded to the business founded and
conducted for many years by his father ; 6.
Mary, who became the wife of Clyde Skinner,
and resides in Easton ; 7- Dr. Walter W. Seibert,
who is a physician and is associated in practice
with his brother. Dr. William A. Seibert.

William A. Seibert, M. D., eldest of the living
children of Owen and Matilda (Miller) Seibert,
and the third in order of birth, was born on the
homestead farm in Lowhill township, Lehigh
county, Pennsylvania, February 10, 1859. He
was a child of three years when his parents lo-
cated in Easton, and he there made the beginnings
of his education in the public schools. He was
afforded excellent educational advantages and
improved them to the utmost. In 1875, at the
age of sixteen, he graduated from Stevens' In-
stitute of Business and in 1878 from Trach's
Academy. He then entered Lafayette College,
from which he graduated with the class of 1882,
having received a first honor, the mathematical
oration. While in college he was a member of
the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, and after gradu-
ation was elected a member of the Phi Beta
Kappa. He began his professional studies in
Hahnemann Medical College, Philadelphia, in
1882, and continued until the next year, when he
entered the School of Medicine of Boston Univer-
sity, from which he was graduated with the de-
gree of Doctor of Medicine in 1885. While a
senior he was appointed house physician at
Grove Hall Homes, Boston, and after graduation
became house surgeon at the Massncluiselts
Homoeopathic Hospital for one year, and occu-
pied this position until 1886, when he located in
Easton, Pennsylvania, which has since been the
scene of his labors- He is a well regarded mem-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



439



ber of various leading professional bodies — the
American Institute of Homoeopathy, the Penn-
sylvania State Homceopathic Medical Society,
the Lehigh Valley Homoeopathic Medical So-
ciety, and the Easton Microscopical Society, in
all of which he is highly regarded. He is at
present the president elect of the Pennsylvania
State Homoeopathic Medical Society, and was
lately elected a consulting physician to the Easton
Hospital. He is a member of the Pomfret Club
of Easton, and the Country Club of Northampton
county. In politics he is a Republican and an
original member of the jMcKinley Club. In re-
ligion he is a Lutheran, and a liberal contributor
to his church and its various benevolences, as well
as to other worthy objects.

Dr. Seibert was married, May 6, 1886, to Miss
Rosa A. Werkheiser, of Easton, a daughter of
William and Ann E. (Shimer) Werkheiser, a
graduate of Mt. Holyoke College, class of 1884,
and a learned and noble woman. In 1897 Dr.
Seibert experienced a dreadful affliction in the
death of his beloved wife and children from
diphtheria. The one child living is a daughter,
Anna Matilda.

CHARLES COLLUM, for almost a quarter
of a century actively and prominently identified
with the manufacturing interests of the city of
Allentown, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, is a na-
tive of Cambria county, Pennsylvania, born in
1859, a son of Patrick C. and Bridget (McFad-
den) Collum, the former named having been a
son of James and Ann (Ferry) Collum, and the
latter a daughter of Hugh and Jane (Martin)
McFadden. Patrick C. and Bridget (McFad-
den) Collum were the parents of six children,
three of whom — Cecelia, Winifred and Hugh —
died in early life, and the remaining members of
the family who attained years of maturity were
as follows : Hilary, who became the wife of Ed-
ward McGinley, and mother of five children —
Mary, Michael, John. Patrick, and Charles Mc-
Ginley. John, unmarried, who is a soldier in the
United States army, now serving in the Philip-
pines. Charles mentioned in the following para-
graph.



When Charles Collum was eight years of age
his parents removed from Cambria county to
Lower Macungie, Lehigh county, and he attended
the common schools adjacent to his home. In
1872, when he was only thirteen years of age, his
parents removed to Allentown, and he was sent
to the boiler works of Cole & Heilman to learn
the trade of boiler making. After serving an ap-
prenticeship of two and a half years he started
out as a journeyman. Having previously deter-
mined to see something of life in other cities, he
entered the employ of the Janesville Iron Com-
pany, at Janesville, Schuylkill county ; later went
to Chester, Pennsylvania, where he was employed
by the John B. Roach Ship Building Company ;
and from there he went to Wilmington, Dela-
ware, where he secured employment with the firm
of Pusey & Jones. Here he took a course in
mechanical engineering and drafting, after which
he located at Delano, Schuylkill county, and en-
tered the shops cf the Lehigh A^alley Railroad,
and in the year 1882 he returned to Allentown,
where he has since resided. He entered into
partnership with John Allen, and they established
the business known as the Allentown Boiler
Works, to which they later admitted Joseph F.
Barber, a member of the Barber Foundry and
Machine Company, and this connection continued
for a number of years. Mr. Allen was the first
member to withdraw his interest from the firm ;
later Mr. Barber retired ; and after continuing
the business alone for a period of two and a half
years Mr. Collum admitted J. D. Knouse, of Ce-
darville, Lehigh county, into partnership- The
original plant, which was used for two yeaf s, oc-
cupied a small place in the rear of the Barber
Machine Company ; from there they moved to the
corner of Third and Walnut streets, and from
there to their present location, 328 to 358 ^^'alnut
street, in 1896. Their plant covers an area of
three and a quarter acres of land ; they give steady
employment to one hundred and fifty men, re-
quiring the services of a larger force during the
busy seasons ; and they manufacture everything
in the line of sheet iron and metal work, steam
and hot water boilers, and drying kilns for ce-
ment work. Their product is shipped to all parts



440



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



of the world, and they have equipped many of
the large buildings in the country, such as Siegel
& Cooper, of New York city, and the government
plant at West Point, New York. He is a straight-
forward, honorable business man, and in the com-
munity where he is known his word is as good as
his bond. Although his business interests are
very extensive, he finds time to devote to matters
which are calculated to advance the welfare of
the community. Politically he is a Democrat,
and fraternally he is a member of the Knights of
Columbus, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and
the Catholic Benevolent Legion.

Mr. Collum was united in marriage to Kath-
rine DeVine, of Elmira, New York, daughter of
Edward and Mary Ann (Crow) DeVine, who
reared a family of seven children, namely : Robert,
who married Etta Kelly, of Shamokin, and they
are the parents of one child, Marion DeVine. Mar-
garet, wife of Michael Whalen, of Binghamton,
New York, and mother of eight children^Ed-
ward, Madline, Florence, William, Raymond,
Vincent, Margaret and Francis. William, who
married Sarah Lynch, of Toronto, Canada, and
they are the parents of two children, Dorothy and
Catherine. Edward, unmarried. Annie, unmar-
ried. Elizabeth unmarried. Kathrine aforemen-
tioned as the wife of Charles Collum-

The family of Mr. and Mrs. Collum consist
of the following named children: i. C. DeVine,
Francis, Leroy, Robert Leo, John Edward, Eliza-
beth Geraldine, Kathrine Madline and Mary
Veronica. Mr. Collum and his family are mem-
bers of the Roman Catholic church.

JAMES NOBLE RHODA, whose knowl-
edge of mechanics and thorough and practical
understanding of the special department of labor
to which he has directed his energies has gained
him a position at the lead of one of the leading
productive industries of Allentown, in which he is
also financially interested, is numbered among
Pennsylvania's native sons who had their birth
in Reading. His parents were Mathew and Sa-
rah (Noble) Rhoda, in which family were four
children, but two died in infancy. The daughter
Eliza, wife of 'Morris Rcdingtnn, has one son.



John. Mathew Rhoda, by his second wife, Cecelia
Stefee, had six children: John, Sarah, George,
Grace, Sallie and Susan Garfield.

In the public schools James Noble Rhoda
acquired his preliminary education, and after-
ward attended Muhlenberg College, so that with
mental powers quickened and stimulated by his col-
legiate course he entered the business world well
equipped to master the problems that might arise
in his efforts to improve conditions and shape
possibilities to his own ends. When he was quite
young his father, who was a practical boiler
maker, removed from Readmg to Tamaqua, and
afterward to Hazleton, Pennsylvania, whence he
came to Allentown in 1865, establishing a boiler
manufactory here. His literary education com-
pleted, James N. Rhoda began learning the
boilermaker's trade in the shops and under the
direction of his father, with whom he remained
for a number of years, and then entered the em-
ploy of the firm of Cole & Heilman. As he was
an efficient draughtsman he was soon placed in
charge of that department of their works, and
after the death of Mr. Cole he was appointed
foreman and ma'.ager. He continued in that po-
sition until the death of Mr. Heilman, when
upon the reorganization of the company he pur-
chased an interest in the business, and at the
same time took entire charge of the mechanical
part of the work. He has since superintended the
operation of the plant, in which are now em-
ployed a large number of workmen, and the
foundry is operated to its full capacity in supply-
ing the demand for equipments made by different
gas and cement companies. The business has
reached very profitable proportions, and not a
little of the success of the ent. rpdse is attributable
to Mr. Rhoda's thorough understanding of the
work in which as a young tradesman he em-
barked. With thorough knowledge of the great
scientific principles which underlie his work, as
well as familiarity with the practical operation of
the machinery, he has so managed the foundry
along economical lines as to render it a profitable
investment, and at the same time the workman-
ship is so thorough as to cause its products to be
a most marketable conimoditv.





c^^yyuA. C^ /^d^



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



441



Mr. Rhoda is a prominent member of Allen-
town Eyrie, No. no, Order of Eagles, and is
a past as well as the present worthy president of
the local lodge. He is well known to the fra-
ternity throughout the state, and was a delegate
to the national convention of the order which
was held in Baltimore, in 1904, and is now dis-
trict deputy grand president. In the Improved
Order of Red Men he has likewise attained prom-
inence, and belongs to the Clover Club of Allen-
town. He is never lacking in citizenship, giving
warmhearted allegiance to whatever he deems to
be for the public welfare, and his political views
concerning the great issues of the day are in ac-
cord with the principles of the Republican party.

Mr. Rhoda was united in marriage to Miss
Annie C. Miller, a daughter i^f Henry and Sarah
(Seibert) Miller, in whose family were four chil-
dren. Mary Miller became the wife of Jacob
W. Grim, a member of the firm of Grim Broth-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 78 of 92)